Dan & Phil Part 41: what in domestication

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
malday
emo goose

Moonbeamsonthepath wrote:New video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M6iJMbpjwE
what's this?! I'm not a fan of dan's videos but i liked this?! No over exaggerated acting and shouting and the editing had really good timing and flow! more of this please.
onetruetrash
blobfish

I'm so glad he's lowering his quality threshold. This video wasn't brilliant, but it was pretty funny!
cherrybomb3
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: he/him

not holding my breath but it seems like dan has learned his lesson about deliberately overhyping his content by dropping this so suddenly

that being said, his defense of isg in the video could be interpreted as a bit of subtle shade towards the people (myself included tbh) who were less than impressed by his last upload
pastelspectre
stress mushroom

i am in love with this video bc its not somethin dan would usually do omg. also that moment where he shows what he thinks he is... i found it... v attractive ugh im sorry ;-; im gross trash

but erm, omg im only halfway thru the video an ive laughed like 3 times bc he finds his branding so cringe and i love his humor wow im just dan trash as usual

ALSO OH MY GOD IM AT THE PART WHERE HE....HES PANTSLESS?? I AM FUCKIN DAN OHMYGOD imsorry i feel the need to put in a lot of input

I AM IN LOVE WITH THIS VIDEO SO MUCH I AM WHEEZING WITH LAUGHTER. THIS IS PROBABLY ONE OF MY FAVORITE VIDEOS HES DONE ON HIS CHANNEL I COULD SEE MYSELF REWATCHING THIS SO MANY TIMES
:transheart:
pilotlight
#relatable

That made me laugh so much, his reactions to some of the over-the-top quiz options had me actually tearing up. I don't care if this sort of thing doesn't really meet his idea of his quality threshold, it was genuinely really funny and well-paced.
tigertatze
living flop
Pronouns: she/her

thephandommenace wrote:Even though Dan's new video is the kind of content he supposedly looks down upon, I thought it was fun and cute, and I wish he'd do more of these kinds of videos where he just lets himself go and doesn't worry about it being 'high art' or whatever. The video idea itself wasn't creative or innovative but I still laughed, he put a creative spin on it with the little sketch of how he thinks of himself, and I enjoyed it a lot.
I literally went into the vid like "oh boy here we go.. :? " and came out

That was a really good video did not expect to enjoy it this much (kinda figured this would be just a rehash from dan and rolled my eyes a bit when I saw the thumbnail) but if this what "no integrity" looks like on him sign me up
#nohetero
trashqueen
ar·tic·u·late

i liked the video but i've never been more confused about dan's conflicting attitude/actions/words about what makes 'quality content' that he wants in his channel or what he looks down upon, i'm honestly 100% lost and have absolutely no idea what kind of mental reaching he does to justify what he thinks and what he does to himself and then be a little shit about how tag videos and reaction videos are not good enough for dinof on liveshows, again, i liked it, but i just couldn't enjoy it properly bc in the back of my mind i was like 'wtf is he doing' the whole time

if there's still time to add some deppy predictions for 2017 i want to submit 'dan getting his shit together about his 'quality' problem that only he sees' bc either he's gotta take the stick out of his ass or he's gonna sprain something from reaching so much

other than that i find the quizzes he chose and the way he chose to react to them very interesting, and by that i meant that he had no issue reacting negatively to things that may upset part of his audience bc it's things that some of them do, like the cringy imagine quiz, cry or craft, llamas, and so on, i felt like this weird choice of video might have something to do with Dan's problem with his audience (aka the fixation with the three male viewers he has and all that shit we've already discussed and that obviously relates to the topic i talked above), as i said before, i don't think dan genuinely wants the edgelord 12 yo boys audience, i think he want the validation he could get if he had any other audience that isn't teen girls, and the shit he reacted negatively to is also genuinely cringe af to anyone over the age of 16, what i mean by that is that i don't think he's just trying to get rid of teen girls from his audience, he obviously genuinely finds it cringe, bc it fucking is, but i feel like this could be an attempt to stop his audience from doing these things he dislikes and start being a little bit more like the audience he wants to have, and if that's in any way close to reality then its fucking hilarious that he's doing it through a react video to quizzes about himself

ik i'm reaching about dan reaching to justify his actions, i'm a lot of bad things but also perfectly self-aware lol

okay now actually talking about the video: loved it, it was like watching an ap video but with just dan, which was kinda weird but good weird, i liked how relaxed it was, maybe not a masterpiece but now everything needs to be
Last edited by trashqueen on Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Howell wrote:'[someone] just sent me a message saying 'Phil'..... same'
lost686girl
living flop

cherrybomb3 wrote:dont want to be that guy buuuut

does this prove the conspiracy of pantless!dan in last weeks liveshow

i don't think either of them wear pants at home during the spring/summer. they let their legs fly free
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

thank's you were great
bluntedclaws
rainbow nerd

I loved this video. He always seems to make better stuff when he's pressed for time and just makes something rather than overthinking everything.
It's obviously not a groundbreakingly new idea but I like how he put a "Dan" spin on it with the little sketch at the beginning. I cringed lots and laughed lots so definitely a from me.
Sorry if I say something wrong. My first language is sarcasm. I've never really learned English
cherrybomb3
cheeky #spon

trashqueen wrote: (aka the fixation with the three male viewers he has and all that shit we've already discussed and that obviously relates to the topic i talked above)

it me i feel so privileged
obliviongrace
*editing tips*

Aw, I enjoyed this video! When I saw there was a new video I actually thought, "oh, no," because I thought the video might be wracked with Dan's obsession with #qualitycontent and a quiz video not being that. But he seemed rather self-aware in a good way this time, and the video actually left me feeling kind of soft about Dan I enjoyed the range of quizzes he picked, and the combination of shitpost humor with reflections on how he's changed over the years (llamas, placentas...even I cringed when that was brought up.) I guess what I'm trying to say is, even though he was of course uncomfortable at some of the things, his reactions never passed into the kinds of negative digs at his audience that often frustrated me. It felt like a good time, like an inside joke that we're all apart of. And, of course, I continue to enjoy the casualness of Phil bants being included in the video with no explanation of who Phil is. This is no longer new, of course, but I still love it every time. Dan calling Phil "you bitch" is my aesthetic Also, Dan revealing that he was only in his underwear...him saying that and understanding it meant we knew Phil was in there while he was only wearing his underwear made my heart warm with increased comfortability, even though of course that is no longer knew with his Spring-Underwear-Tweet. Just him not caring what people think about that fact is heartwarming to me

Again, this video just left me feeling soft towards Dan. I swear I either am so bugged at him or love him Essentially, him relaxing and making content that he wouldn't dub quality content without making a dig at said content = a genuinely nice humorous video.
Artdefines06
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: She/They/Nothing

Wow, its only been like three days but boy have I missed a lot of discussion.

Club penguin vid: I too was squicked out by these guys asking to be friends with everyone - not because it's them, but just from the ingrained reactions I have as a female just trying to use a damn website and having random dudes asking to be my friend and complimenting my avatar. Rarely do they just want to be your friend. It's some 40 yer old perv who wants you to send him a selfie after you meet him in his igloo, or a 12yr who wants you to be his in game bf and send him a selfie after you meet him in his igloo. I have so many bad memories attached to perfectly good mmorpg's. Tomska did a video recently talking about this(he was the creepy kid), and while I don't think it was something he should have uploaded to the internet, it does cover the topic pretty well.

Quizzes about Myself: Did anyone else get the feeling that Phil was tired of Dan's procrasinating ass and forced him to go to his room and make a video while he was still in his pj's and stood outside the door to make sure he did it??? Makes me think of the rules list and the poking in the face from the past life animal videos. Cute Video, but I do feel bad that he will never escape the trauma of his past or those embarrassing naked booth photos lol. I don't think he dislikes them as much as he pretends too, but it will embarrasing to explain to kids/in laws, friends etc as the years go by.

Just have to throw my two cents in that while I find them objectively attractive, I am not sexually interested in either of them. I would however love to play board games and talk about the universe.
pilotlight
#relatable

cherrybomb3 wrote:
trashqueen wrote: (aka the fixation with the three male viewers he has and all that shit we've already discussed and that obviously relates to the topic i talked above)

look, we're 2/3rds of the male part of the phandom!

Although trashqueen, I think there's at least 4 of us. Maybe even 5.
cherrybomb3
cheeky #spon

pilotlight wrote:
cherrybomb3 wrote:

look, we're 2/3rds of the male part of the phandom!

Although trashqueen, I think there's at least 4 of us. Maybe even 5.

ayyyy an irl boy we have so much in common lets be friends
coffeepenguin
rainbow nerd

Really enjoyed Dan's video! I was a bit scared and even paused the video to prepare myself for cringing when he started doing the dating quiz, didn't know what to expect, but it actually went pretty well, in my opinion. Also, perfect timing, just when we were discussing Deppy's audience sexualizing them

Now I really want Dan to do a ls tomorrow, because even if I don't feel as confused as trashqueen, I'd really like him to talk about the quality thing some more, I feel like he doesn't know at all what he wants to do with his channel right now. I actually find him choosing ISG as a favourite video/series quite telling (which I don't mind because I LOVE these videos, fite me). And I'll go as far as to say that I'm not sure their hypothetical secret project is directly related to creating content, or at least Dan creating content.
lurker wrote:
also, this tweet is everything

But more importantly: what is this blueish picture in Dan's room, is it new? I'm not sure I've seen it :wtf: (sorry for the quality of the screenshot, I'm on my phone - btw, my very belated but very sincery congratulations to everyone on this forum for its 1st birthday, I love you all and thank you to mods for the update )

Dan wants to be understood. Phil just wants to make the viewer smile and sell some backpacks (c) fancybum
lishachi
eclipse shirt

Slightly off topic for a sec: new games that have came out fairly recently and are really cool; Night In The Woods, OneShot, Oxenfree, I love these kinds of games and I know they probably will never be on DAPG, but I can dream. Did Undertale knock the long-ish lets plays from their channel? Perhaps. (Aside from Dil, who I'm sure is going to age into an Elder soon right? Or are they planning to have another child, I swear I've seen/heard that mentioned, if not ignore me I'm pretty sick and could be imagining it all.) (Secretly wondering what their reactions will be/how the story will go when Dil becomes old, BUT I am more excited for what Dab will look like grown up. Age him up already!! :D )

Anyway...that video was a surprise. Glad he didn't hype it up so much, ISG got mixed feedback so I guess the random 'here you go' is a better approach. Wasn't sure on it, clicked, saw Phil in the background. That was nice. :D Liked the banter between them, kept it nice and casual, also liked Dan calling Phil a bitch, that was quite wonderful. Also, Dan, that segment. 'I know a lot of long words, and trust me, that's not all that's-' (i'm assuming long was the word here) Just.. thank you. His humour was snappy and funny and overall it was pretty good.

About his 'quality content' I think he overthinks it all way too much. I relate, I too am an overthinker, and it must be very confusing and weird to have a large audience that a large quantity of are teenage girls. But not all of them are, I'm sure in a liveshow or maybe it was TABINOF? I don't know, he said his audience is like 80% female 20% male? Perhaps it wasn't him, correct me if I'm wrong/he hasn't said that. I may be confusing him with someone else.

Perhaps as he is getting older he's realising that the kind of content he wants to put out there isn't what his demographic would enjoy/consume. He's commented before that he wants to make videos or small videos on his side channel talking about things, but thought people would be bored. Perhaps it's an age thing, perhaps he is finding it hard to be #relatable all the time. I have no idea, it seems difficult, I want to say he should do what he wants and upload what he wants to, but Youtubers have demographics and an audience and they kind of have to keep up a certain 'standard' to keep the audience engaged, I guess. I'm pretty clueless really when it comes to Youtube, I know the basic understanding of it, but if anyone has any good info in general about how it all works then please feel free to share, I find it interesting. :D

tl;dr - DAPG hoping for series may not happen, whats happening with dil, thoughts on new vid, curious about youtube and how it works (sorry for v long post)
:biflag: :blackheart:
parallel
phabergé

lishachi wrote:Slightly off topic for a sec: new games that have came out fairly recently and are really cool; Night In The Woods, OneShot, Oxenfree, I love these kinds of games and I know they probably will never be on DAPG, but I can dream. Did Undertale knock the long-ish lets plays from their channel? Perhaps. (Aside from Dil, who I'm sure is going to age into an Elder soon right? Or are they planning to have another child, I swear I've seen/heard that mentioned, if not ignore me I'm pretty sick and could be imagining it all.) (Secretly wondering what their reactions will be/how the story will go when Dil becomes old, BUT I am more excited for what Dab will look like grown up. Age him up already!! :D )

[...]

tl;dr - DAPG hoping for series may not happen, whats happening with dil
Oh my god. I would so love for Deppy to play an actual, not-flash/browser game which isn't the Sims. Even the Sims is pretty... you know, ~casual~. I'd love for them to sit down and do a series on a long game with actual purpose behind it *cough* Life Is Strange *cough* which seems to have died with Undertale. They said that they didn't want series and wanted game suggestions which were like one-episode games? Ugh. The only gaming channels I watch (other than Deppy) do series and occasional one-episode things, but pretty much are series-based. I wish Deppy would just do more series on the gaming channel and not... the fucking... Impossible Quiz... WHICH ISN'T EVEN A FUCKING GAME! Sorry if I sound unnecessarily mad, but it just irritates me that, despite Deppy clearly liking video games, they seem to think that we'd prefer to watch them goof around in Club Penguin than actually committing to a video game.

Recently I got around to finishing Dan's Pokémon video (before I couldn't finish it out of boredom tbh) and honestly, that was so much better than the bland, tasteless stuff they've been pumping out lately. I like watching people talk about things they're passionate about, and Dan clearly has a genuine interest in Pokémon. You can compare how they talked about Undertale versus how they talked about, I dunno, Google Feud. Actual interest is so important to making something enjoyable. Even in the Mark of Oxin, Deppy clearly were interested in RPGs and therefore it made for an enjoyable duology (on top of the fact that it was Phil's game, obviously).

Dil, who I'm sure is going to age into an Elder soon right?

Pretty sure that they've turned off aging. I have my Sims 4 gameplay settings to long lifespans and even with that I'm fairly certain that Dil would have aged by now. I wonder if they'll end the Sims series when Dil dies or if they'll continue with Dab. I hope they end it, honestly; the game gets really, really repetitive after a few generations unless if you pay ridiculous amounts of money for expansion/game/stuff packs.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

The first solo DINOF that I genuinely loved watching in quite a while, good job Dan :thumb: Dan ending up doing whatever Phil has done months previously is still a thing so hopefully we'll see Dan's own DNA test video around Fall

Commentary:
- The first 20 seconds
- I'm very attracted to fantasy!Dan even is he borders on fuckboy.
- We The Unicorns gives me herpes.
- Now I need a full video of Dan dancing to the Cha Cha Slide.
- Dan getting surprised by his own nakedness in the screenshot.
- Dan shut up your curly long hair looked cute as fuck. #fuckshavedsides #buttheydolookbetteronyouthanonyourplatonichusband
- Curious about the rest of the cringe selfie top 10
- Dan passionately setting the record straight on both their statuses as night owls because how dare Buzzfeed suggest otherwise?
- "Still listening you bitch?!" Had me CTFU
- Dan casually walks around the house in his underwear. #relationshipgoals
- "That would be really weird if I got Phil" I mean... would it be really? The Merge(tm) is still happening.
- "I can't do this. I'm gonna do it." Me before opening a tub of ice cream.
- Phanfic writers throwing their drafts where Dan calls Phil babe out of the window.
- "Roleplay!Dan sounds like a dick." Who's gonna tell him he sounds like a dick at times too? :')
- Dan taking getting Phil's glabella as his quiz result as a personal challenge.
- The editing in this video is top notch tbh.
- Dan triggering my berserk button with ISG. Like I said, roleplay!Dan ain't the only dick.
- Yessss Dan, show us that Phil trashcan status that you so fiercely defend when anyone tries coming for it.

I'm here for Dan taking that stick out of his arse and uploading funny shit like this, but I half expect him to trash his own video in the next liveshow because I have no faith in anyone or anything anymore.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
momoroki
glabella

Was not expecting this new video to be as good as it was, I absolutely loved it! I'm still squinting at Dan's definition of "quality content" though. Maybe he feels that "tags" are lazy because all of the ones he watches are the same and have """""no originality""""" to them, and therefore by putting his own little spin on the taking quizzes thing (like that sketch) he's made it "quality"? Ack, I'm probably overthinking this.

So many good moments in the video though, Phil appearing for a cheeky few seconds in the beginning there, those quizzes I probably took one of those at one point, I'm never going to forgive 13 year old me for anything overall this is the quality content I subscribed for, and I mean that in the least sarcastic way.

(Also I know this was a while ago, but thanks captainspacecoat and Birdie for your posts! Although you may have misunderstood my original point, I meant that when Dan making fun his audience as a bunch of cringey teenage girls + valuing that Precious Straight Male Audience, then he was seen as rude. Unless I'm the one misunderstanding, in which case my bad . But now I get that it's Dan generalising his audience that's not cool, thanks for clarifying!)
pilotlight
#relatable

I think I stan Catallena and her commentary as much as D&P at this point.
Catallena wrote:We The Unicorns gives me herpes.

Bears repeating.
bluewho
truth bomb

Very funny video, I liked it a lot. I think internet quizzes in general are quite cringey so naturally the phandom takes them to the next level Poor Dan, he seems to low key hate cringey behaviour when it comes from the phandom. I don't really understand as it's mostly harmless.
cherrybomb3 wrote:dont want to be that guy buuuut

does this prove the conspiracy of pantless!dan in last weeks liveshow
This was what I thought when I heard him say that! That he must have seen something about that and was kind of responding! I thought he meant the uk version of pantless initally though and was quite shocked

trashqueen I don't think he is being hypocritical or confusing by posting the video. I think he does think the video is not good enough for dinof, but at the same time he realises this is something his audience wants to see. I think there is a conflict between the content he wants to make and the content the phandom wants him to make. I don't think he minds making a video about internet quizzes but it couldn't really be called meaningful. In terms of your idea that he's critical of cringey behaviour from the phandom in the video because he is trying to discourage it - I think you are jumping to assumptions slightly. I think the reason he reacts so negatively to it is because it's about him, it constructs him in ways he would rather not see himself e.g. as someone who would say hey babe or as someone who takes cringey selfies etc. He reacts negatively simply because he's embarrassed by it. I think if he wanted to stop behaviour or found something unacceptable he would state so or ignore it completely.
/fɪl lɛstɚ/
sad dimple

Oh I'm so glad I wasn't the only one who was just floored by how funny that video was. I didn't expect anything but I was grinning like an idiot the entire time. There's nothing that I can really say that hasn't been mentioned before but overall it was just a funny, well-edited, carefree video that I've already watched twice!
Also, I think this is the second mention by Dan of leaving a video to go masturbate (or something of the like) since the diss track. I don't know why I really noticed that but I did. It's kind of weird to me. It just reminds me that he's a real life person
also the fact that he thought phil was listening and then mentioned having a long and hard... um. somebody stop me this isn't a fanfic
I am always on Phil Lester's side
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Dan's solo content is generally hit or miss (leaning toward miss) for me, but I actually loved this. I'm definitely a fan of him letting go of some of those quality standards he holds himself to and just doing videos because they're funny and will engage fans. I think he also did himself a huge favor by not hyping that he had a video coming at all. It was truly a pleasant surprise.

I don't have too many more original thoughts so I'm just going to reply to a fuckton of people who already said the things I was thinking, and probably better than I would have.
missemma wrote:These screenshots though:
I dunno why, but I love his look in those sketch scenes! I think it's the hair. I like that hair.
lurker wrote:also, did i miss it or wasn't there a "formal shout-out" to phil's video? because if yes it's amazing how at this point they just assume all of us know anyway and dan can simply say "phil did this one in his video" without any further explanation.
I don't think there was a formal shoutout - I think we are truly at the point where they assume if someone watches one of them, they watch them both. Except how that doesn't mesh at all with Dan's whole thing about the edgy quality seeking straight guys who watch his videos, unless it just doesn't occur to Dan that there might be poor souls on this earth who aren't willing to watch Phil do basically anything just because he's Phil.
trashqueen wrote:okay now actually talking about the video: loved it, it was like watching an ap video but with just dan, which was kinda weird but good weird, i liked how relaxed it was, maybe not a masterpiece but now everything needs to be
Tbh this nails it, and probably explains why I loved it so damn much.
obliviongrace wrote:Also, Dan revealing that he was only in his underwear...him saying that and understanding it meant we knew Phil was in there while he was only wearing his underwear made my heart warm with increased comfortability, even though of course that is no longer knew with his Spring-Underwear-Tweet. Just him not caring what people think about that fact is heartwarming to me
That's really what's so astounding about them lately. It's not that they're actually doing things we didn't know they were doing, it's just that now they're willing to say they do them. And the more often they're upfront about the things that were fodder for guesswork and fan conspiracy in years past, the less and less surprising those sorts of things are. I'm definitely still of the mind that it's a longform game plan for them, and that it's working excellently in terms of a gradual desensitization of fans to their relationship.
artdefines06 wrote:Quizzes about Myself: Did anyone else get the feeling that Phil was tired of Dan's procrasinating ass and forced him to go to his room and make a video while he was still in his pj's and stood outside the door to make sure he did it???

Tbh, considering youtube and younow are their main steady income again (that we know of - but no new books, no new tours in which to sell tickets and push merch, no more radio show) and Dan is their biggest channel, I'm not surprised if Phil is gonna tighten the reigns in terms of making Dan be productive. I would guess DAPG makes them the most money just because they post more regularly there but the ad buys on dinof have to be heftier, right? (If I'm wrong please educate me, I'm just pulling my info from secondhand knowledge gleaned from youtube videos themselves.)
Catallena wrote:- Dan passionately setting the record straight on both their statuses as night owls because how dare Buzzfeed suggest otherwise?
This might actually have been my favorite moment. (Well, that and the inner trash can comment.) He was not having any of that factual inaccuracy there.
bluntedclaws
rainbow nerd

Catallena wrote:The first solo DINOF that I genuinely loved watching in quite a while, good job Dan :thumb: Dan ending up doing whatever Phil has done months previously is still a thing so hopefully we'll see Dan's own DNA test video around Fall

Commentary:
- The first 20 seconds
- I'm very attracted to fantasy!Dan even is he borders on fuckboy.
- We The Unicorns gives me herpes.
- Now I need a full video of Dan dancing to the Cha Cha Slide.
- Dan getting surprised by his own nakedness in the screenshot.
- Dan shut up your curly long hair looked cute as fuck. #fuckshavedsides #buttheydolookbetteronyouthanonyourplatonichusband
- Curious about the rest of the cringe selfie top 10
- Dan passionately setting the record straight on both their statuses as night owls because how dare Buzzfeed suggest otherwise?
- "Still listening you bitch?!" Had me CTFU
- Dan casually walks around the house in his underwear. #relationshipgoals
- "That would be really weird if I got Phil" I mean... would it be really? The Merge(tm) is still happening.
- "I can't do this. I'm gonna do it." Me before opening a tub of ice cream.
- Phanfic writers throwing their drafts where Dan calls Phil babe out of the window.
- "Roleplay!Dan sounds like a dick." Who's gonna tell him he sounds like a dick at times too? :')
- Dan taking getting Phil's glabella as his quiz result as a personal challenge.
- The editing in this video is top notch tbh.
- Dan triggering my berserk button with ISG. Like I said, roleplay!Dan ain't the only dick.
- Yessss Dan, show us that Phil trashcan status that you so fiercely defend when anyone tries coming for it.

I'm here for Dan taking that stick out of his arse and uploading funny shit like this, but I half expect him to trash his own video in the next liveshow because I have no faith in anyone or anything anymore.
Great notes catallena. You Made me laugh almost as much as the vid!
I bet he did the Phil's glabella quiz multiple times to get the result he wanted and that's why he had the other results to show us.
I totally agree about the good editing. I loved the bit where he zoomed on his eye and "hello internet" was there.
I would LOVE to know what he considers to be his other 9 top worst selfies.
Sorry if I say something wrong. My first language is sarcasm. I've never really learned English