Anime Thread

000dia000
emo goose

PolarFox wrote:
000dia000 wrote:Has anybody seen Mob Pyscho 100? It's by the same creator as One Punch Man and I think it's definitely one of my favourites now, I don't know why it isn't as popular but it's absolutely brilliant
I know I'm annoying at this point but I frickin love Mob Psycho 100 if i were to ever marry a guy i'd go for reigen and adopt the kageyamas
I was indifferent to Reigen at first, but yeah exactly what a smooth talker. And Mob has to be one of my favourite anime protagonists in a while, so pure
:cactus:
mio
#relatable

Opinions on the Death note netflix movie?
...honestly I'm living for how much it gets dragged on tumblr already
~ IT'S A HORSE SUSAN ~
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

^hey, i've heard a lot of bad things about it as well. many of my facebook friends who like death note, or other anime are dragging it big time lmao. i plan on not watching it, mainly bc i never watched the original death note but

anyways i was wondering if anyone here could recommend me some good anime? i am starting to lose interest in anime sadly, bc i can't find a lot of ones that im interested in or can relate to. if you could please suggest me any anime that deals with mental illness or any sad anime, i would appreciate that a lot.

edit: i should probably add, i've already seen clannad, that one hugely known sad anime. i watched it and sobbed big time.
:transheart:
PolarFox
truth bomb
Pronouns: she/her

Seen the dragging of Netflix Death Note. Tis to be expected and honestly it's quite hilarious.
Skylar ever seen your lie in april? Also I found Re:Zero to be quite harrowing emotionally... oh boi and Evangelion is totally a thing to watch too. Not sure if exactly on the topic, but Elfen Lied made me think a lot too. It all depends on your definition of sad. But most of the above have mental illness as an important theme, even if it might not be exactly mentioned.
Awww! You clicked on my signature!
pastelspectre
stress mushroom

PolarFox, thank you for your suggestions! I've actually seen elfen lied, and i started watching your lie in april. i'll try watching it again after i finish binge watching phineas and ferb. i have also heard about re:zero and evangelion, but i heard that evangelion has a lot of sequels or something to it? i'm not sure
PolarFox
truth bomb

Skylar, well it does have 26 or so episodes, a movie explaining the ending and then 3 rebuild movies. But it's a thing that is not good to binge watch unless you want your brain to be melted and confused. But it's really good.
000dia000
emo goose

I see what they're trying to do with Death Note, by making a brand new story out of it, but just the trailer in itself is full of so many American-ism and guns and super-spy government stuff that the whole concept of what made the initial story so interesting was the subtleties and intelligent characters. The Death Note itself has been changed into an old, dusty looking book instead of the original notebook, the original creator said that he initially thought of making the Death Note like an old scroll, but changed it into the appearance of a modern-day notebook to make it inconspicuous and natural in the story. The fact that the writers and creators fo the Netflix series have overlooked this to try and make it more mysterious, even though it's a small thing, as soon as I saw that (and the cheerleaders? wtf) I knew they fucked it up. Also there was kissing in the trailer? Are they actually going to turn the Light and Misa pairing into something romantic? Have they even SEEN Death Note??
:cactus:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I recently picked up Senki Zesshou Symphogear's second season again after abandoning it over a year ago and I've just now finished it. Now I'm gonna continue on with the third season and after that I plan on rewatching Revolutionary Girl Utena. I've watched it before when I was 13 but reading about it years later made it obvious that it's themes completely went over my head as an ignorant child. I'm excited :D

Zenki Sesshou Symphogear is entertaining but not great btw, so I can't really recommend it. But I don't hate it and it's entertaining enough so I'm committed to finishing it now
Skylar wrote:anyways i was wondering if anyone here could recommend me some good anime? i am starting to lose interest in anime sadly, bc i can't find a lot of ones that im interested in or can relate to. if you could please suggest me any anime that deals with mental illness or any sad anime, i would appreciate that a lot.

edit: i should probably add, i've already seen clannad, that one hugely known sad anime. i watched it and sobbed big time.
5 Centimeters Per Second - Watch it, it's a classic. It's a gorgeously animated movie divided in three parts. Will make you hate trains for the rest of your life.
Nana - This is probably my favorite anime ever, I can't recommend it enough and I've talked about it earlier in the thread. The manga continues on where the anime stops and is from that point on even more depressing. Due to illness the author has put the manga on hold for about 8 years now, but it's so worth it. The anime has a great soundtrack as well!
Air - From the same studio as Clannad. It's only 13 episodes and a movie so it's quick watch but still hella sad.
Angel Beats - I haven't watched this (yet) so I can't personally recommend it but I have a friend who loves this anime and often goes on about how sad it is so you can give that a try?
Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Starts out and looks cute and standard but is a dark and depressing deconstruction of the magical girl genre.
Fullmoon o Sagashite - Most of this isn't that depressing, it's shoujo anime from the early 00's mostly aimed at young girls who like magic and idols. But it's a about girl with cancer who finds out she only has a year left to live so with the help of the two Shinigami assigned to take her life she changes into an older version of herself to make her dreams of becoming a singer come true..
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
PolarFox
truth bomb

Catallena wrote:Angel Beats - I haven't watched this (yet) so I can't personally recommend it but I have a friend who loves this anime and often goes on about how sad it is so you can give that a try?
How could I have forgotten that one :facepalm:
Sign me under the angel beats! rec, it is kind of sad and meaningful

To add to that netflix series of death note, there is a really video about the trailer on yt And well, if anything, Light looks horrible. And well. The rest I guess I agree with the video, but still am bit skeptical about it. It surely won't even come close to the original, but it might not be *THAT* bad
pastelspectre
stress mushroom

thanks, cat! can i call you that o.o well, i have heard a lot of those anime. i have seen angel beats, and sobbed. i started watching madoka magica and got pretty far in it but didnt finish. i will check out the others though!
mio
#relatable

@PolarFox your yt link doesn't work for me

What I find most annoying about this Death Note trailer is how they portrait Light - I know it's only a few short glimpses but you can already see that he's gonna be different from the Anime version where he's this terrifyingly charismatic, manipulating guy that you love to hate - I feel like they are gonna turn him into a generic hollywood main character and this doesn't work with the story at all.
Oh well I might just rewatch the original again.
Also people keep talking about L? Is he supposed to be the hooded guy walking through this strange red hallway? I don't understand how this has anything to do with his character but at least it's the most badass scene in this trailer

I finished a new anime the other day and I really wanna rec it, especially for fellow fans of stuff like Barakamon and GSNK:
Uchouten Kazoku
It's has incredibly beautiful art and is a silly slice of life mixed with emotional depth that hits you right in the feels.
~ IT'S A HORSE SUSAN ~
malday
emo goose

Death Note rant:
If you're going to make an adaptation of a successful series, and use it's name to draw in the cash, you'd should at least make sure you satisfy the fans of the original.

I know the tropes from manga/anime don't translate well into a movie for an american audience but at least stay true to the main characters.
From the trailer Light looks like a generic delinquent emo kid, and L looks like a generic bad-ass hacker guy, and the whole thing like a generic action movie.
CallMeAyana
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: Phan Trash

I'm watching YOI. With my parents. Well, this is awkward
PolarFox
truth bomb

CallMeAyana wrote:I'm watching YOI. With my parents. Well, this is awkward
Oh my... hang in there. Maybe find less explicit translations of Chris' coments.

IT'S TWO DAYS TILL ATTACK ON TITAN SEASON TWO, WHO ELSE IS EXCITED?
It's probably gonna be 1 cour (12 eps) only, which pisses me off, as the chapter it will probably end on is very controversial AND it came out back in 2013. So all this wait for nothing. Yayyy
But it's something new snk and I can't wait for some of my favourite scenes from that part of the manga to be animated!
mio
#relatable

PolarFox wrote:
Oh my... hang in there. Maybe find less explicit translations of Chris' coments.
At first I was gonna say yay great for you I hope they like it it's basically such a sweet story. But then you reminded me of Chris... Ayana I'll be praying for you.
(honestly I'd like a version where Chris is completely cut out, it would be the perfect anime)

PolarFox wrote:IT'S TWO DAYS TILL ATTACK ON TITAN SEASON TWO, WHO ELSE IS EXCITED?
It's probably gonna be 1 cour (12 eps) only, which pisses me off, as the chapter it will probably end on is very controversial AND it came out back in 2013. So all this wait for nothing. Yayyy
But it's something new snk and I can't wait for some of my favourite scenes from that part of the manga to be animated!
Oh is it?? I've completely lost touch after the anime finished airing and all the controversies about the mangaka came to light and nuked the fandom... I'll defo watch the new season though, the first one was so fricking amazing!
~ IT'S A HORSE SUSAN ~
PolarFox
truth bomb

mio wrote:Oh is it?? I've completely lost touch after the anime finished airing and all the controversies about the mangaka came to light and nuked the fandom... I'll defo watch the new season though, the first one was so fricking amazing!
Yes! and heck, is it something to look out for. Well. I read the manga so I know what is coming and what happens after (for scale, manga is rn on chapter 91 and 92 is coming out the day episode 2 of season 2 airs while the anime will probably stop at chapter 50 or 70 if we are lucky and get two cours) BUT THAT IS ONLY TO ENHANCE THE FEELS AND PAIN

all I say, it's gonna be pretty gay from now on
CallMeAyana
cheeky #spon

PolarFox wrote:
mio wrote:
PolarFox wrote:
At first I was gonna say yay great for you I hope they like it it's basically such a sweet story. But then you reminded me of Chris... Ayana I'll be praying for you.
(honestly I'd like a version where Chris is completely cut out, it would be the perfect anime)
...I actually forced them to stop watching at episode 4 Our kitchen is connected to our lounge (since we live in a condominium), and we're on the lounge while my mom was preparing dinner. My mom would occassionally look at the screen (she seems to be interested), and my dad would just, like, do stuff despite the fact that there's nothing else to do. It was really awkward, mostly when Victor would pull Yuri's face closer to his face (episodes 2 & 4), so... yeah

On the bright side, I finished it! I actually appreciate it because unlike Junjou Romantica and Sekai Ichi Hatsukoi, Yuri and Victor's relationship isn't sexualized. Like... almost every yaoi anime/manga out there just focuses on the sexual interactions, instead of the relationship of the characters... you know what I mean? Instead of just hugs and subtle hints, it's full-on sex scenes and explicit "I love you"s. I mean, there's nothing wrong with saying "I love you", but between Yuri and Victor... You can see it, bright as day, even if they don't actually say that they love each other because they show it in little moments - in very subtle hints (that the camera will just emphasize ten-fold, anyway) just like Deppy
PolarFox wrote: IT'S TWO DAYS TILL ATTACK ON TITAN SEASON TWO, WHO ELSE IS EXCITED?
I actually wanna watch it But... my dad and my cousin doesn't want to watch it, so... Guess i'll just watch it alone then :sobs:
DryCereal
koi pond

PolarFox wrote:IT'S TWO DAYS TILL ATTACK ON TITAN SEASON TWO, WHO ELSE IS EXCITED?
Fucking ME!!!!!!!

Although i have promised to wait until the OH gets home to watch it together. So I'm planning on starting bingeing S1 tonight to refresh my memory.
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
PolarFox
truth bomb

So I am about to write down my feelings about the new SnK episode. I'll put it all under a big spoiler and I'll also put spoiler for manga spoilers, so heads up.
SO! After so much waiting it happened. And it was worth it! So well done! Mike's death was much more gruesome than in the manga... and when the Beast Titan appeared I was shook. They couldn't have animated that better.
I'm very very sad and angry that Levi gets more screentime than him, when Armin is the main character here. They even cut his really good foreshadowing scene and put Eren and Mikasa scene there that didn't really have any significance unless you reach a lot. I mean. Eremika is all cool and shit, but I'm already pissed because of how many Eremin scenes were changed to eremika for no other reason than to push the ship and erase his character because he's not as popular.
But apart from that, it was so good. The animation, music, everything... and the ending??? I want to talk more about it... the imagery with the creepy music... anime only people, I'm very interested in your interpretations of the OP and ED. Write them for me? Please?
Anyway, manga spoilers review and imm talking 80s chapters spoilerz
DID THEY REALLY PUT ALMOST REDRAWS OF THE ELDIAN HISTORY INTO THE ENDING??? HOW LONG IS SEASON TWO? OR WHY DID THEY DO THIS??
Also I can't believe they are still erasing Armin from the anime or switch him with Mikasa. What's next, Mikasa will be the colossal titan? (She can't after all, she's not eldian... rright?) or will they have him die and transform Erwin? What are they trying to achieve, Levi isn't even that much in that part of the manga, why do they always screw Armin over... ugh. But it was good episode nonetheless
Ehm. That got emotional. But don't tet me wrong, I loved it and I am about to watch it on release every time
CallMeAyana
cheeky #spon

Me reading SnK:
PolarFox
truth bomb

CallMeAyana wrote:Me reading SnK:
what chapter
CallMeAyana
cheeky #spon

PolarFox wrote:
what chapter
...Starting from Chapter 48 ._.
PolarFox
truth bomb

CallMeAyana wrote:
PolarFox wrote:
what chapter
oh you sweet summer child
like 80 chapters later this will be the tip of the icebert for you
CallMeAyana
cheeky #spon

PolarFox wrote:
CallMeAyana wrote:
PolarFox wrote:
what chapter
I finally finished SnK! Like... up to the most recent chapter, obvs, and it's just so... What. I actually kinda theorized that Levi might be an Ackerman (because he and Mikasa are the only ones who deserve the badass title in that manga), but I never actually thought that it was real. Thanks, Isayama Hajime, for destroying my ship. Anyways...it's just so mind-blowing because their situation is just so like Gintoki's in Gintama (Gintoki and the Kabuki District is fighting the universe, while Eren and the rest of the Eldians will fight the rest of the world). I actually wish that Reiner is the one that Armin ate since the Armored Titan is harder to kill, but... :sideeye: Also, the titan who ate Carla can be given a different meaning ;) Dina is jealous of Carla because... you know. Also, I'm wondering how Eren ("The Owl") knew of Mikasa and Armin, like... what is their role? How come he knew someone with the same name as the Mikasa and Armin that we know of now? Does that mean he can see the future from someone else's memories? But whose? What? What is life? I don't know.
PolarFox
truth bomb

CallMeAyana wrote:
PolarFox wrote:
CallMeAyana wrote:
PolarFox wrote:
what chapter
I finally finished SnK! Like... up to the most recent chapter, obvs, and it's just so... What. I actually kinda theorized that Levi might be an Ackerman (because he and Mikasa are the only ones who deserve the badass title in that manga), but I never actually thought that it was real. Thanks, Isayama Hajime, for destroying my ship. Anyways...it's just so mind-blowing because their situation is just so like Gintoki's in Gintama (Gintoki and the Kabuki District is fighting the universe, while Eren and the rest of the Eldians will fight the rest of the world). I actually wish that Reiner is the one that Armin ate since the Armored Titan is harder to kill, but... :sideeye: Also, the titan who ate Carla can be given a different meaning ;) Dina is jealous of Carla because... you know. Also, I'm wondering how Eren ("The Owl") knew of Mikasa and Armin, like... what is their role? How come he knew someone with the same name as the Mikasa and Armin that we know of now? Does that mean he can see the future from someone else's memories? But whose? What? What is life? I don't know.
I think everything you wrote should have a massive spoiler alert in case someone doesn't scroll fast enough. But I understand your frustrations. Spoiler reply:
plot-armored titan yeah, but colossal Armin? Sign me the f up, good stuff.
And i feel you, I cried when chapter 82 came out anf I thought Isayama managed to kill both my favourite character and my otp. but it was nice to get a confession out of Eren in 73 and then from Armin in 82 no matter how painful it was And well, I cried many times since then, but Heh. Last chapter though. It was so amazing. Carpet bombing titans? Marley is truly fucked up