Philosophy Thread

akui
blobfish
Pronouns: She/Her

Why do we exist?
What is existence?
What is the point of anything?
Why?
Does my life really matter outside myself?
Death is inevitable.
We are all alone.
The privileged of freedom is overwhelming.
Ignorance is bliss.
Consciousness is merely a biological process.
Time extends before and after my life.
Purpose are distractions and vice versa.
What's for lunch?
Infinity is incomprehensible.
Help.

—— A page from TABINOF
SquishPhan
capita£ester
Pronouns: she/her

My thoughts on these topics are very simple. I don’t believe that there is a reason for our existence nor do I think that there is a point to it all. I find that very comforting, but know lots of people don’t.
I think that when you die that is it, there is nothing after it. I don’t believe in heaven or hell or anything like that. And yes the world existed before and it will (hopefully) continue to do so long after I die. Those things are comforting to me for some reason.
jhamba
procrastinator

SquishPhan wrote:My thoughts on these topics are very simple. I don’t believe that there is a reason for our existence nor do I think that there is a point to it all. I find that very comforting, but know lots of people don’t.
I think that when you die that is it, there is nothing after it. I don’t believe in heaven or hell or anything like that. And yes the world existed before and it will (hopefully) continue to do so long after I die. Those things are comforting to me for some reason.
kind of same, but for the meaning part, I think if (IF) you want to find meaning to life, it's other people. I'm not even a social person, but I think that doing things for society is a good idea. If I can say that I've made someone happier, or been someone people enjoyed talking to, I think that I have served my purpose in life. (but, ofc I want all the material comforts, but that's not philosophical)
Just trying to spread the Dangirl agenda
corn flakes
moon room

SquishPhan wrote:My thoughts on these topics are very simple. I don’t believe that there is a reason for our existence nor do I think that there is a point to it all. I find that very comforting, but know lots of people don’t.
I also find peace in the notion that this world is a casuality, I don't want to be something after death.Frankly the concept of having an afterlife terrifies me.If there is a point in existence I would think is hapiness, how then everyone finds it is up to them; for me it's also be useful to others, that's part of the reason for my job choice.At the end the my existence is not important in the universe but I can try anyway to do my best to be happy and be of help in my capacity to others.
English is not my first language: half of the mistakes are typos ,half are me
akui
blobfish
Pronouns: She/Her

Seems like we are all nihilists and existentialists here.

I recommend this play list if any of you interested in philosophy theories.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... eyEs70krSb
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... eghBDgmj7X
jhamba
procrastinator

akui wrote:Seems like we are all nihilists and existentialists here.

I recommend this play list if any of you interested in philosophy theories.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... eyEs70krSb
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... eghBDgmj7X
lol, I'd define myself as a solipsist, actually. Nihilism is too pessimistic for me, and existentialism is too optimistic for me.
Just trying to spread the Dangirl agenda
Maraeni
phillion/danosaur <//3

Do souls have a gender?

Dear fellow Phandom Members, i know that the discussion about sexuality and gender keeps coming up in forums and on twitter within the phandom, so i know you guys have your thoughts about this in respect to Dan and Phil. Because of this I recently have become more aware of the concept of gender in society and in peoples lives in general. I am a spiritual person, but not a religious one anymore. I have been thinking about a lot of stuff and this one keeps coming back…. Do we as souls have a gender???? What do you think?
"Right now, you are breathing manually.
You're welcome!"
Michael "Mike" Estrin
majitzu
angel bean

Maraeni wrote:Do souls have a gender?

Dear fellow Phandom Members, i know that the discussion about sexuality and gender keeps coming up in forums and on twitter within the phandom, so i know you guys have your thoughts about this in respect to Dan and Phil. Because of this I recently have become more aware of the concept of gender in society and in peoples lives in general. I am a spiritual person, but not a religious one anymore. I have been thinking about a lot of stuff and this one keeps coming back…. Do we as souls have a gender???? What do you think?
I've never thought about that, but now I think that the gender comes from your brain. So maybe souls are genderless.

Also the only thing I know is what I'm having for lunch :lol:

I'm catholic, so I believe there is life after dead. But if it is like the bible say and all I would do is contemplate God... well that's gonna be hella boring. Can I have acces to some books an internet there?
I find relief in this concept, because if someone that I love dies I still have the possibility to see them again in the afterlife. But I'm a very rational person to so I know there is a possibility that there is nothing after dead. Anyway I prefer living thinking there is something than not, because if there is really nothing when I die, well... i will never know.

spider
ar·tic·u·late

Gender is a social construction. So it depends on what your definition of a soul is and if it would be affected by social constructions.
daphenaxa
blobfish

I agree I don't think a soul has a gender. As I don't think a soul has an ethnicity or a religion for ex. Those are all social acquisitions.
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
greatnessflicker
cheeky #spon

heeey everyone. i typically don't care much for philosophy but it is so related to my major of English in that lit theory is pretty much philosophy + literature, so I appreciate how I can apply it to literature, and literature is often my way into philosophy.

That said I don't like labels but if I had to describe my beliefs in a few words, I'd say I'm an existentialists or postmodernist with an impulse towards sincerity and meaning (even if that's self/communally constructed)? I just found out about "Alt+Lit" and "meta modernism," which kind of describe my beliefs.

Anyways, I say all this because I stumbled across this cool article. Basically, it talks about how "science" (which I always remind myself is not as often as pure, correct or unbiased as we like to think it is) has pretty much concluded that free will doesn't exist, but that there is a whole host of possible effects associated with that belief that most of us do not want. On an individual level, not believing in free will makes you more likely to indulge in darker impulses and also is associated with poorer work performance life satisfaction. On a macro-scale, it calls into question our entire judicial system. How can we blame someone for a crime if they were supposedly determined to commit it?

The general approach it argues at the end, with a few slight modifications, reminds me of my own beliefs and the attitude of meta modernism.

It also reminded me of when my religion professor told me an apocryphal story of a rabbi, who, when asked if he believed in free will, said, "Yes. I have no choice but to believe in it."
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

daphenaxa wrote: Thu May 26, 2016 12:35 pm I agree I don't think a soul has a gender. As I don't think a soul has an ethnicity or a religion for ex. Those are all social acquisitions.
This is an intriguing statement to me as I think the concept of a "soul" is even more a social construct that the things you mention. I find the idea of a soul interesting, even though I certainly don't think it exists in a catholic sense.
Yet, we all use the word and we use it to describe different things. We talk about how a person is a good soul, or the soul of the city, or even "soulfood" and soul music. What do we mean to talk about really when we talk about those things? I think when we use the word soul we talk about a bunch of subtle and hard to explain observations we make about the people and reality around us (cast through the nets we perceive them), and "soul" just kind of gets used as a catch-all term.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly