Daniel & Phil Part 44: This isn't a forever home

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
shoe
Moderator Emeritus
Pronouns: they/them

LurkingTrash
woodland creature
Pronouns: She/Her

Re. My take on the Jon Cozart tweet/thing:

I like Jon, he's usually a morally correct/witty guy despite often passing the "I have an opinion on x political subject and I'm better than you for it" vibe; imo/perspective

I first saw his tweet and went "oh no, did he really type that word? Does he knows what he's doing?" but never thought he was researching about a parody, I honestly thought he saw that panel DnP are participating about 'Creating a Community' for Playlist and wanted to study up? And Hank's tweet just made me think he went for conclusions because Jon went silent since then. I even thought it was maybe related to his previous tweet where he said something about "doing things on social media to stay relevant" (even if that's a dick move).

idk what the guy is planning but I hope he knows how easily the subject could go wrong since it's a sensitive topic for so many people who are used to being 'mistreated' by other youtubers and get easily defensive.
Ilovethemohyesido
living flop

In the liveshow, I read Phil mentioning staying in Florida for the holidays but Phil's YouTube video has been cut down because it was lagging. Did dan mentioned or hinting that he's staying around ib Florida or is he going back to the U.K.?
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I don't think Dan said anything about staying in Florida or not, he just said something about the internet there if Phil was trying to do a liveshow.

Jon is a good guy, hopefully he's seen the replies about how the phandom gets stereotyped a lot and is fed up with it.
palomeheart
dank meme

LurkingTrash wrote:Re. My take on the Jon Cozart tweet/thing:

I like Jon, he's usually a morally correct/witty guy despite often passing the "I have an opinion on x political subject and I'm better than you for it" vibe; imo/perspective

I first saw his tweet and went "oh no, did he really type that word? Does he knows what he's doing?" but never thought he was researching about a parody, I honestly thought he saw that panel DnP are participating about 'Creating a Community' for Playlist and wanted to study up? And Hank's tweet just made me think he went for conclusions because Jon went silent since then. I even thought it was maybe related to his previous tweet where he said something about "doing things on social media to stay relevant" (even if that's a dick move).

idk what the guy is planning but I hope he knows how easily the subject could go wrong since it's a sensitive topic for so many people who are used to being 'mistreated' by other youtubers and get easily defensive.
Yeah my first thought at seeing the tweet was, 'wow what an unfortunate word to choose,' but I assume your average youtuber doesn't know about the timeline. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, I thought maybe he was interested in how the Phandom grew the way it did. Youtubers can (and do) shit over the Phandom all they want, but it is a powerful and lucrative force to be reckoned with, and I do see a level of interest/jealousy from some people (one example that comes to mind is my favorite liveshow from that youtube event with Louise and Tomska and Jack etc. where Jack and others become obsessed with trying to get things trending via the Phandom/get more followers). I don't know that much about Jon (despite apparently being subscribed to him) or his followers, but it's my understanding that a lot of his songs go viral at least in part because of the subject (Disney, the election, etc.). He even seems to poke fun at this himself in his Youtube culture song when he says the line about exploiting fandoms for a bottom line and putting on the mickey hat (reference to his Disney princess songs?). I hadn't seen the Playlist announcement yet, but that would make sense too. There's also his recent semi-public/semi-private relationship/breakup/whatever with Dodie, so maybe he's interested in how not to have people obsess over it?

I'm definitely team no song though, and think that if he was doing one it would (a) not take on the Phandom in a very positive light or try to appeal to the masses in any way given his usual style/humor and (b) would surely have to at least touch on the shipping aspect and probably make some sort of judgement about it (like 'haha look at all these crazy teen girls reaching and trying to find something where there is nothing' or 'can this many people be that wrong' but more likely the former). And that seems like it would be a bad move for everyone involved, outside of being pretty unprofessional, especially at vidocn.

Also, poor Hank for stepping into this mess. I can't imagine he meant anything bad. Even a somewhat negative song about Nerdfighteria wouldn't really come for him personally in the same way, so it probably really never occurred to him. His response was very diplomatic, though, and I love that he phrased it as if he's set himself a homework assignment. Actually, he probably has.

I find the spectrum of responses we've gotten fascinating, and, ironically, Evan's is actually maybe the most appropriate in my eyes. Though it didn't necessarily need to be shared. :sideeye:
it's a useful thing
sans
delia smith
Pronouns: him/they

About the whole song debacle: I think I'm the only one who doesn't care if Jon writes a song about the phandom, or D&P for that matter; it's pretty normal for youtubers to cash in to what's popular at the time.

I also don't think Hank would just put a song in VidCon without asking them if they are okay with it first, or am I missing any bad interactions between the vlog brothers and D&P?

They are adults after all, so they can voice if something makes them uncomfortable they don't need us to protect them guys
awkwardly
living flop

didn't manage to reply before the previous section was closed
papierklemmen wrote:
i do believe that the true level of how "obsessed" some fans are would show if they moved separately - now that's where you'd see a portion of people crying how it affected their life and they're suffering and dying (see: the sherlock fandom & various wtf moments like signed petitions for bbc to change the ending to canon johnlock, 5 stages of grief, suicide threats, cyberbulling of creators etc.). but yeah, it's not that kind of a situation.
I have to say, I find your post extremely condescending. You probably can not imagine people who have nothing and no one and live daily in pain (physical or psychological) how important fantasy is for them. At any age. I personally have been affected by a fandom - not in flat sense of way but in lgbtq+ representation and couple that with what is happening live to lgbtq+ people in the country I live in, the way the show creators were talking, same as you, condescending about it - because how could it possibly affect people, lol it's not real - it was very extremely hurtful and it affected me, deeply. So yes, I do not think moving of d&p is in any way the same as lgbtq+ portrayal, but you can not know how anything will affect anyone. And making fun of potentially triggering suicide feelings in anyone is really honestly just awful. I do not know what happened in Sherlock fandom as I was not part of it, because honestly after my experience with other showrunners why would I ever get myself into watching something written by such sexist asshole as Moffat. But I really find it condescending how little you consider the feelings of other and how funny it seems to you when people who have probably nothing are robbed even of the last at least fictional hope.
~but the golden age is over
sans
delia smith

Actual lounge maybe?
MaggieW
glabella
Pronouns: she/her

Ahhh that looks really comfy. And I'm living for new pics of the house (even if it's just the floor lol)
autumnhearth
senpai

sans wrote: Actual lounge maybe?
Foot floof! How do I embed an image? (So old.) Waits for someone else. There we go! So it looks like a neat grey fabric on the sofa. Different sheen and texture to the old one in the snug. Linen perhaps? Yellow wood floors with some degree of scuffing and an odd grey rug that almost looks like chenille? Much texture, very grey. Want dark wood floors (for them and me, ours our yellow too). Oh well. Mismatched doggo socks! Yay!
Last edited by autumnhearth on Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

awkwardly wrote:didn't manage to reply before the previous section was closed
papierklemmen wrote:
i do believe that the true level of how "obsessed" some fans are would show if they moved separately - now that's where you'd see a portion of people crying how it affected their life and they're suffering and dying (see: the sherlock fandom & various wtf moments like signed petitions for bbc to change the ending to canon johnlock, 5 stages of grief, suicide threats, cyberbulling of creators etc.). but yeah, it's not that kind of a situation.
I have to say, I find your post extremely condescending. You probably can not imagine people who have nothing and no one and live daily in pain (physical or psychological) how important fantasy is for them. At any age. I personally have been affected by a fandom - not in flat sense of way but in lgbtq+ representation and couple that with what is happening live to lgbtq+ people in the country I live in, the way the show creators were talking, same as you, condescending about it - because how could it possibly affect people, lol it's not real - it was very extremely hurtful and it affected me, deeply. So yes, I do not think moving of d&p is in any way the same as lgbtq+ portrayal, but you can not know how anything will affect anyone. And making fun of potentially triggering suicide feelings in anyone is really honestly just awful. I do not know what happened in Sherlock fandom as I was not part of it, because honestly after my experience with other showrunners why would I ever get myself into watching something written by such sexist asshole as Moffat. But I really find it condescending how little you consider the feelings of other and how funny it seems to you when people who have probably nothing are robbed even of the last at least fictional hope.
I agree with every single word. I was in the Sherlock fandom, unfortunately, and what happened to the show was just shameful. In that fandom there were a LOT of queer fans who felt insulted by the representation of lgbt and female characters in the show, and we were queerbaited just for money, left without any kind of explanation afterwards and treated like idiots.
I'm not ashamed in saying that Dnp were and still are my coping mechanism because of what happened in Sherlock - I was in a bad place after Season 4 aired - and I'm not totally okay, yet. For people who have nothing good happening in their lives, to have something that brings them joy is everything. Will I be sad if Dnp ever split apart? You betcha. I will get over it? Sure. But everyone has feelings; we're only human after all.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
xaephan
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Ilovethemohyesido wrote:In the liveshow, I read Phil mentioning staying in Florida for the holidays but Phil's YouTube video has been cut down because it was lagging. Did dan mentioned or hinting that he's staying around ib Florida or is he going back to the U.K.?
I can't access YT atm, but someone has uploaded the latter bits of the liveshow here: /watch?v=Xy_V1RRjdFU

I hope that's the right URL, I can't check atm.

I think one of them mentioned that the Lester holiday will be after Playlist, not before? But the debate is because Dan confirmed that he'll do a ls next Tues, while Phil said his plans are up in the air. I think some people assumed Dan meant that his ls will be regular starting next week, so that implies that they'll be splitting up. I thought he meant just next week, but I haven't rewatched the ls so I'm not positive exactly what he said.
if my heart was a compass you'd be north
previously myllakka
chunchun
phillion/danosaur <//3

Looks like it, definitely seems to be another couch too. And yay for floof, no more hitting shins on coffee tables :D
SquishPhan
capita£ester

chunchun wrote:
Looks like it, definitely seems to be another couch too. And yay for floof, no more hitting shins on coffee tables :D
Yeah that for sure is their actual lounge, with a nice new sofa.
Have to say though, not a fan of the foot floof.
DatCog
blobfish

myllakka wrote:
Ilovethemohyesido wrote:In the liveshow, I read Phil mentioning staying in Florida for the holidays but Phil's YouTube video has been cut down because it was lagging. Did dan mentioned or hinting that he's staying around ib Florida or is he going back to the U.K.?
I can't access YT atm, but someone has uploaded the latter bits of the liveshow here: /watch?v=Xy_V1RRjdFU

I hope that's the right URL, I can't check atm.

I think one of them mentioned that the Lester holiday will be after Playlist, not before? But the debate is because Dan confirmed that he'll do a ls next Tues, while Phil said his plans are up in the air. I think some people assumed Dan meant that his ls will be regular starting next week, so that implies that they'll be splitting up. I thought he meant just next week, but I haven't rewatched the ls so I'm not positive exactly what he said.
Video here:

Re. Phil's instagram - I love the grey floof and want one for my feet (to go with my grey sofa and grey rug...I really like grey)!
sans
delia smith

SquishPhan wrote:
chunchun wrote:
Me neither, but looks comfy I also kind hate that rug-- I wonder if they are going for brown/grey tones on their whole lounge?
helvetica
sofa crease

catching up on the threads and was wondering why Phil said he won't paint his nails? YouTube won't work for me :/
auri
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

sans wrote:
SquishPhan wrote:
chunchun wrote:
Me neither, but looks comfy I also kind hate that rug-- I wonder if they are going for brown/grey tones on their whole lounge?
Dan also said he saved the silvery things from his old bedroom so maybe they have a grey-ish theme for the whole main living area? I'd really like to see some nice decoration pics, if they do have some nice matching tones around the apartment. not a tour, I'd be happy with few pics.
Flomy
sofa crease

helvetica wrote:catching up on the threads and was wondering why Phil said he won't paint his nails? YouTube won't work for me :/
I believe he said something about not liking the feeling of (those kind of) things on him? He also doesn't like facepaint.
Birdie
blobfish

thealexeffect wrote:
awkwardly wrote:didn't manage to reply before the previous section was closed
papierklemmen wrote:
I agree with every single word. I was in the Sherlock fandom, unfortunately, and what happened to the show was just shameful. In that fandom there were a LOT of queer fans who felt insulted by the representation of lgbt and female characters in the show, and we were queerbaited just for money, left without any kind of explanation afterwards and treated like idiots.
I'm not ashamed in saying that Dnp were and still are my coping mechanism because of what happened in Sherlock - I was in a bad place after Season 4 aired - and I'm not totally okay, yet. For people who have nothing good happening in their lives, to have something that brings them joy is everything. Will I be sad if Dnp ever split apart? You betcha. I will get over it? Sure. But everyone has feelings; we're only human after all.
I understand where both of you are coming from and I do use fiction as a coping mechanism too but I think what papierklemmen was getting at was obsessive behaviour. Suicide threats or threatening the writers' lives are super extreme and uncalled for and absolutely not healthy anymore. I get that to many people fiction is a way of escaping from horrible realities and I also get the disappointment - trust me, I've been there for the Sherlock debacle. Fiction and fandoms affect all of us but it's just not healthy to get so obsessed with something that you would actually want to kill yourself over it and I think that's what papierklemmen was saying. Insinuating she was mocking suicidal people doesn't sit right with me at all. She was talking about very unhealthy behaviour there and I actually agree with her. Cyberbullying the creators of a show by threatening to kill yourself or them is never okay, no matter how shitty their behaviour towards the fans was.

Also keep in mind that Dan and Phil are people. These are their actual lives, not some TV show. If they want to move apart one day, they will move apart and it's non of our business, no matter how invested we are in them.
autumnhearth
senpai

Flomy wrote:
helvetica wrote:catching up on the threads and was wondering why Phil said he won't paint his nails? YouTube won't work for me :/
I believe he said something about not liking the feeling of (those kind of) things on him? He also doesn't like facepaint.
Yep doesn't like accessories either, wouldn't ever get a tattoo and wanted to rip/cut his fingers off when a friend painted his nails in uni.

(I love grey too)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

April 27 joint liveshow timestamps:

:11 - Phil booped box!Dan's box!nose.
:28 - Official jingle of the new place.
1:17 - Exploring the contents of the "props box that didn't make it through." Not sure what that means - didn't make it through to the right room? Or do they have a box for stuff they're getting rid of?
1:29 - The hand-off of the puppet is really cute.
1:40 - Dan wanted to minimize possessions, Phil thinks everything is an essential possession.
2:18 - They've spent an immeasurable amount of time carrying and unpacking boxes.
2:30 - Comparing papercuts.
2:40 - Dan is very amused by Phil's delivery of the moving announcement.
3:00 - Rundown of the reasons why they wanted to move.
3:18 - Phil's eagle joke; this feels quite rehearsed, like they discussed between themselves exactly what to say.
3:46 - Moment where it looks deceptively like Phil is going to put his arm around Dan.
4:00 - The FRIENDS analogy. Phil says, "Are you just gonna go off and do the Joey show?" which would be the perfect place for Dan to insert that yes he will eventually get his own Dan place at some time in his Dan life, but Dan does not do that because we do not live in a universe where Dan and Phil even joke about moving apart at all, ever.
4:58 - Dan throwing boxes on Phil. Are you guys flirting on liveshow time? Because that's cool, I'm cool, it's all cool.
5:29 -Talking about the strange layout of the apartment.
5:46 - Phil reads out 'Get a dog' from chat.
5:53 - "Unfortunately, we're still renting." With sad womp noises.
6:22 - They cut a segment out of the moving video that was about how much they've destroyed it. "Then we thought, wait a minute, this is just like a compilation of how we can get sued."
7:15 - Phil showing off the hoodie he got on Bondi Beach.
7:32 - Phil gets up to move away, says "My pants fell down a bit." and Dan responds, "That's okay, I was looking at the chat."
7:44 - Semi-transparent glass wall. Phil presses his hand against it.
8:21 - Easter Baking
8:43 - Dan's idea for pastel; Phil thought it would ruin the baking but Dan insisted.
9:06 - Dan makes Phil try to say the name of the baking video.
9:43 - "Whisk it, whisk it, whisk it harder."
10:04 - The sheer lack of enthusiasm on Phil's face as he reads, "What's your bedroom gonna be like, said Dan." Then he stops to laugh at it being from Dan.
10:17 - Phil addressing the expectation of Phil to redefine his bedroom setting, Phil saying he liked it how it was.
10:39 - Dan: Phil was feeling quite authentic with his bedroom as it was.
10:47 - Dan has completely changed his bedroom. He's kept everything that was silver. His new bedroom looks like the moon, it has a floating white bed. "I guess you'll have to wait for some kind of danisnotonfire sketch where I'm feeling sad and rolling out of bed."
11:10 - Phil: Show the edge of the bed.
11:18 - Phil wanted to keep his bedspread.
11:21 - Dan refers to his as, "That dusty ikea thing."
11:46 - No apartment tours. Dan says they're a bit cringe. But we will see most of it "as it unfolds."
12:28 - They got some vitamin D in Australia. Dan does his funny suggestive-comment eyebrow move.
12:40 - sjw Dan teasing Phil for it sounding like he said being white was trendy.
13:10 - Dan doesn't want to meet the neighbors, says "If I could just live here for the whole time and just never actually interact with them that would be ideal." That makes it sound even more like there is a set period of time they plan on being in this apartment.
13:39 - Conjunctivitis.
13:52 - Chat asks 'when will you get a dog.' Wording that follows is careful; it would have been incredibly easy for this to go a "When we get our own houses" route but Dan, while avoiding it being an explicit confirmation, took extra effort for it to avoid being any kind of denial. This is how I think they're going to handle most things from now on; absence of denial in place of confirmation.
(Dan: Maybe-
Phil: One day.
Dan: Well. When- when a house is bought, I guess.
Phil: Yeah.
Dan: When there ain't no landlord to tell you what to do. )
14:34 - New gaming setup looks weirdly similar.
14:43 - Dan says it's not a big office room, it's just a bedroom. Cute domestic debate about what makes an office.
15:26 - Phil is excited there are no neighbors, becausethey he can bang on the wall and no one will here.
16:10 - Phil says Dan is like a jumpscare in the corner.
16:23 - Phil is concerned that his face looks shiny. Dan alternates between mocking Phil and reassuring Phil.
16:43 - Phil is disappointed that he wasn't Dan's first Sydney Opera House experience.
17:16 - The flight was intense. Fourteen hour flight to Singapore, slept most of the way. On the way back, fourteen hours awake.
17:39 - "Dan didn't want to play I Spy."
17:50 - Story about the man who wanted to see every meal on the plane.
18:38 - They watched Fantastic Beasts (3/5 from Phil), Lion (Phil ugly-cried), Hacksaw Ridge (direct Christian propaganda but Dan cried the entire second half, Phil commented on him shaking) (Phil didn't cry, he felt sick bc of the gore), Snowden (which was funny but a bit shit),
21:08 - Singapore is lit.
21:14 - Everyone that worked at the night zoo knew who they were, Dan likens it to Houston space center.
21:53 - They saw an elephant wandering and Phil got scared. "I don't think it knows how to hug gently." Phil actually freaked out, wanted to get off the tram.
23:06 - "Dan's the kind of person if we go to a theme park or something, he's got to see every single thing." how married, ew gross
23:22 - Phil makes wet t-shirt analogy, Dan points out how weird it is. He is right.
23:54 - Dan says 'fuck' then cutely 'bleeps' him.
24:45 - Phil has woken up a couple times like 'where am I, I'm gonna die' - Dan looks to the side, not saying anything.
24:54 - Dan has been emotionally detached from his bedroom for the past year, is excited to have one more reflected.
25:20 - Dan explains that filming videos in the place you live - Phil corrects him and says, "You mean the place you sleep?" - I feel like there's something about that we're not in on. Phil's expression as Dan's explanation follows is also fascinating.
26:05 - Dan reminds(?) Phil(us?) that Phil is still filming in his 'actual bedroom.'
26:45 - Phil requested a plant for Dan's filming area, so Dan bought a plant. Phil's grin is so cute - "You sneaky plant buyer!"
27:22 - Snug. Slounge.
27:28 - This apartment is like an Escher painting.
27:41 - There is a lounge that is a lounge upstairs, this is a lazy hangout zone downstairs.
28:00 - The downstairs lounge is where they will film videos. They don't have to carry a camera up the stairs. Not just as many stairs, but still stairs.
28:33 - They want to avoid having lights all over the other lounge.
28:35 - They try to figure out where the gaming room is.
28:40 - Dan has a white piano. We'll see stuff like that on instagram.
29:00 - Dan says Phil's cereal thing is "the worst one" because it's Dan's most retweeted thing, that's why he wants revenge.
29:16 - Phil cleans us. Dan's commentary: Frick, Daddy. Rub your sweater paws on me.
29:43 - Phil asks if they can have a fish. He sounds like he's asking Dan, Dan gives an exaggerated 'up to you.'
30:12 - Bondi Beach - they saw Bondi Beach Rescue.
30:36 - They struggle to remember that thing that was supposedly why they even went to Australia.
31:16 - They pat themselves on the back for the quality and consistency of their instagrams in Singapore.
32:00 - Dan says Phil deserves credit for the pictures he took.
33:43 - Gardens by the Bay description. Interactions like this is where the couple vibe is strongest.
34:24 - Dan cried a lot.
34:30 - Was this whole bit to explain the photo of Dan sat on the ground with the big camera?
35:50 - "We just had to post it," Dan says, about a picture of only Phil posted to Phil's instagram.
35:50 - Dan talks about his ripped jeans.
36:23 - Glittery nail polish.
36:38 - Dan takes his time trying to explain why he felt comfortable painting his nails in Australia.
37:44 - Phil doesn't think he could handle the responsibility of a hamster.
37:50 - Phil says the word phallic; Dan's head shoots up.
37:58 - Phil's laugh when Dan says "hashtag cock-tus."

Liveshow video on Phil's channel cuts off at this point, so I continued using this upload:
:03 - Dan's advice for someone meeting their best friend: "Just skype them before to make sure they're not a dog in a human skin."
:15 - Dan got a bonsai.
:50 - When talking about Dan's next video, they both repeat "Dan is not on fire."
1:16 - Dan's next video is the farewell from the old place.
1:42 - Someone in chat congratulates them. "I mean, this isn't a forever home." "No." "We just wanted to get out of-" "We just wanted to get out and-" "We were just going insane. Totally insane. "And found this."
2:15 - They planted seeds about moving. Phil first agreed that they planted seeds, even using the words. Dan describes it as "insidious" and then Phil (backtracks?) and says, "No we didn't!"
3:19 - Dan's hair blow dries as a wave.
3:28 - Phil complimenting Dan's hair, Dan making kneejerk sarcastic face.
4:11 - The new apartment is gender neutral Thor.
4:23 - Dan is obsessed with the golfing videos, watching it back three times consecutively because it's calming.
4:35 - Phil won't free the knee. (Even though he wears shorts.)
4:42 - Dan asks Phil why he won't paint his nails. (Phil's answer: doesn't like accessories, doesn't like things on him.) This definitely feels like a conversation that we're not fully aware of the context of, based on Dan's expression. Is Dan resentful that people don't press Phil for things like they press him? Did Phil try and decide he didn't like it? Was Phil just afraid people were going to ask him next, because Dan did it?
5:26 - Dan painted his for the aesthetic, curated concepts. Dan says the confidence came from the combination and Phil very sweetly says, "Oh, good."
6:00 - Dan seems surprised by Phil abruptly ending the liveshow.
6:32 - "You will eventually see all the corners of... this room." lmao
6:35 - Phil will be gone for a while, says he'll try with the Florida internet. Dan says nothing? Doesn't seem to indicate to me that he will or won't be staying in Florida after Playlist.
7:05 - They've known they were moving for a very long time.
awkwardly
living flop

thealexeffect wrote:
same for me. although it happened to me multiple times in different fandoms (or shows to be precise), and longer time ago it still hurts (and the first one was the worst). so it's good to have something nice like dnp. (and maybe I am to blame to expect anything from any show ever. but sometimes even unexpected things happen like with Poussey in oitnb... That was extreme. I still can not get over it.) So I am thankful for dnp, but yeah they are real people so I have no expectations but it's nice. Their videos are very relaxing and take my mind of things. And it's nice the way that Dan started wording his support for different genders and orientations (no matter how he identifies or who he ends up with). It's just nice to hear him talk about it in liveshows (and I'm kinda happy I wasn't around in 2012.. but we all grow up. if anyone documented me many many many years ago..and I am part of lgbtq+ community)
Katka wrote:
Fiction and fandoms affect all of us but it's just not healthy to get so obsessed with something that you would actually want to kill yourself over it

Cyberbullying the creators of a show by threatening to kill yourself or them is never okay, no matter how shitty their behaviour towards the fans was.

Also keep in mind that Dan and Phil are people. These are their actual lives, not some TV show. If they want to move apart one day, they will move apart and it's non of our business, no matter how invested we are in them.
I just picked the lines I wan't to reply to - see the first point - that one would need to obsess to want to kill oneself doesn't again sit well with me. Imagine if you live in a country where there is hunt for lgbtq+ people, where they are actually harmed in real life, where you feel unsafe, where you don't see any future for yourself, you are too sick or unable to leave. There is just no future. And imagine that you have the opportunity to at least be happy via fictional world. And even that is taken from you. Can you imagine being in a position like that? But even if some fans don't live in places like that they may have homophobic parents and they are underage. Do you know that about 40% of all homeless youth is lgbtq+? So if even in a fictional world you are told you have no place, believe me, you will wish you were dead. Cause I did.
I am not saying that it's ok to bully someone, but if I take white men in power who don't give a f*ck and lgbtq+ youth I will always be on the side of lgbtq+ youth.

I was replying to the part where papierklemmen compared it to the shows and people getting hurt - as I wrote in my reply that is what I find problematic. That it isn't a joke and real human suffering shouldn't be taken like "lol look at those silly immature children wanting to die for such silly reason it's so funny".
Not sure if this thread is real good place to continue this conversation as I really want to keep it a nice place for everyone to read and relax and that fluffy pouf is lovely Just could not not reply as some things hit too close to home..
~but the golden age is over
glitterintheair
phillluminati

awkwardly wrote:
same for me. although it happened to me multiple times in different fandoms (or shows to be precise), and longer time ago it still hurts (and the first one was the worst). so it's good to have something nice like dnp. (and maybe I am to blame to expect anything from any show ever. but sometimes even unexpected things happen like with Poussey in oitnb... That was extreme. I still can not get over it.) So I am thankful for dnp, but yeah they are real people so I have no expectations but it's nice. Their videos are very relaxing and take my mind of things. And it's nice the way that Dan started wording his support for different genders and orientations (no matter how he identifies or who he ends up with). It's just nice to hear him talk about it in liveshows (and I'm kinda happy I wasn't around in 2012.. but we all grow up. if anyone documented me many many many years ago..and I am part of lgbtq+ community)
God, Poussey in OITNB.. don't even talk about it, I'm still furious. FURIOUS.
And I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have liked Dan AT ALL in 2012, so I'm glad I discovered only last year, haha!
Katka wrote:
Fiction and fandoms affect all of us but it's just not healthy to get so obsessed with something that you would actually want to kill yourself over it

Cyberbullying the creators of a show by threatening to kill yourself or them is never okay, no matter how shitty their behaviour towards the fans was.

I just picked the lines I wan't to reply to - see the first point - that one would need to obsess to want to kill oneself doesn't again sit well with me. Imagine if you live in a country where there is hunt for lgbtq+ people, where they are actually harmed in real life, where you feel unsafe, where you don't see any future for yourself, you are too sick or unable to leave. There is just no future. And imagine that you have the opportunity to at least be happy via fictional world. And even that is taken from you. Can you imagine being in a position like that? But even if some fans don't live in places like that they may have homophobic parents and they are underage. Do you know that about 40% of all homeless youth is lgbtq+? So if even in a fictional world you are told you have no place, believe me, you will wish you were dead. Cause I did.
I am not saying that it's ok to bully someone, but if I take white men in power who don't give a f*ck and lgbtq+ youth I will always be on the side of lgbtq+ youth.

I was replying to the part where papierklemmen compared it to the shows and people getting hurt - as I wrote in my reply that is what I find problematic. That it isn't a joke and real human suffering shouldn't be taken like "lol look at those silly immature children wanting to die for such silly reason it's so funny".
Not sure if this thread is real good place to continue this conversation as I really want to keep it a nice place for everyone to read and relax and that fluffy pouf is lovely Just could not not reply as some things hit too close to home..
^My thoughts precisely.

ANYWAY, IN A TOTALLY BRIGHTEST NOTE: Phil's pouf reminds me of Dan's blanket. I think it's a good match.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
Birdie
blobfish

Thanks for the timestamps, dizzy!

[offtopic]
awkwardly wrote:Not sure if this thread is real good place to continue this conversation as I really want to keep it a nice place for everyone to read and relax and that fluffy pouf is lovely Just could not not reply as some things hit too close to home..
Yeah, no, I'm okay with not continuing it actually. I didn't really say half of the stuff you think I said anyway, explaining would probably take some time and a D&P forum probably isn't the place to go into that. Half of the things you said I don't need to imagine since they're true for me but you couldn't have known that, so no hard feelings on my part or anything but I guess this is not the place to discuss something like that in depth. :platonic:
[/offtopic]