Daniel & Phil Part 44: This isn't a forever home

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
karma_yeah
philussy

dontpanic wrote:
Edit: I have a very very important question. Does their kitchen have a breakfast bar?
Asking the REAL questions . . . for science of course!

Top of the page, seriously?!!
What goes around, comes around Image
DatCog
blobfish
Pronouns: she/her

karma_yeah wrote:
dontpanic wrote:
Edit: I have a very very important question. Does their kitchen have a breakfast bar?
Asking the REAL questions . . . for science of course!

Top of the page, seriously?!!
If it's really spacious, they might have an island unit
secretagentphan
procrastinator

My opinions about the Japanese merch controversy

I thought the new video was really cute though and I'm excited for Dan's rebranding video!
cherrybomb3
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: he/him

secretagentphan wrote:My opinions about the Japanese merch controversy

I thought the new video was really cute though and I'm excited for Dan's rebranding video!

sorry i dont mean to cause a kerfuffle but that gif sort of rubbed me up the wrong way. sure, say that you domt want to involve yourself, but i feel a bit like telling people to shut up and saying you dont care is a cheap way to seem above other peoples opinions and the argument as a whole

genuine soz if i misinterpreted you :?
shoe
Moderator Emeritus
Pronouns: they/them

apathy wrote:
llion wrote:i'm honestly surprised they haven't cashed out on all of their catch phrases yet, because that'd be more stealth (which i like) and they're basically already viral. pro tip! soft and neat! all or nothing might even be my favorite tbh.
On the viral phrases like "soft and neat", I'd say two major reasons:

1) "Viral" things are typically inherently shortlived. That's fine if you're throwing something on redbubble or the like, where they're digitally printed on demand as they're bought, but D&P seem to be buying in bulk to keep stock. It gives them more control, and probably more profit, but it's also riskier when the trend could die out in a few weeks/months (the phandom does drag things out a bit longer than more general trends) and you get stuck with leftovers that no one wants.

AKA, why tour t-shirts are currently much cheaper than everything else.

2) I think Dan especially finds the spreading of phrases like that extremely cringey and he wouldn't want to embrace it or encourage it.
Those are good points (and I absolutely would NOT buy something with "soft and neat" on it ), but I don't think that applies to All or Nothing, since that's something Dan and Phil themselves made into a recurring theme.

Another phrase I'd like to see on merch is one of the famous Phil quotes, either "it's good to be strange" or "normalness leads to sadness". :platonic:
That message of it's ok to be weird is something that has resonated a lot with their core demographic, and was a key theme of tatinof, and I really think it would be lovely to show it on merch to let people carry and display that message in their real lives.
The only problem I can see with that is the lack of a corresponding "Dan" design. Dan has said a lot of waffly pretentious things in liveshows, but I don't' think I've seen anything thrown around as frequently and as passionately as "it's good to be strange". Maybe Dan's internal struggle with "branding" and what he wants to be known for on his individual channel was a contributing factor to the lack of new designs.
capybantsa
glabella

Honestly I do agree about the laziness. If I had owned one of the old ones I don't think I would be interested in the "new" designs.

I would really like a more simple design aesthetic! Like Ryan Higa's merch, which goes well with a variety of fashion senses. D&P's stuff right now is mostly very... I guess meme-y? Most of it doesn't really fit in with my wardrobe or style, unfortunately.

Socks or sweatpants would be cool

I wouldn't probably wear something that says "soft and neat" either, but I would wear "all or nothing", "it's good to be strange", or "don't cry, craft"
jesuisunèléve
phabergé

DatCog wrote: Aww they've got a balcony again, this makes me happy :D
I hope they don't get evicted within the week.
uglyamerican
woodland creature

fancy_nancy wrote:That's a lot of money for a poster, even if it's signed, I agree with everyone saying it's overpriced.
Question, what's wrong with feeding pigeons??
Flying rats (that poop all over.) In my coastal region, rats with wings are called sea gulls.
dontpanic
#relatable

uglyamerican wrote:
fancy_nancy wrote:That's a lot of money for a poster, even if it's signed, I agree with everyone saying it's overpriced.
Flying rats (that poop all over.) In my coastal region, rats with wings are called sea gulls.
and they never. go. away.

ever.

People always be underestimating how well animals remember things. He shouldn't feed them...I mean, unless Phil wants to star in the new snow white remake that's so under-budget they can only afford C-List rodents. Which if that's the case, more power to him.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

A Dan equivalent would be "Embrace the void and have the courage to exist". At least that's what I've been practising brush lettering along with Phil's. Both halves of Phil's one together would work, I'd go for All or Nothing on a tshirt too. A joke about Tabitha getting abducted so often could be fun, like "finally found the one and aliens keep borrowing them".
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

flarequake wrote:A Dan equivalent would be "Embrace the void and have the courage to exist". At least that's what I've been practising brush lettering along with Phil's. Both halves of Phil's one together would work, I'd go for All or Nothing on a tshirt too. A joke about Tabitha getting abducted so often could be fun, like "finally found the one and aliens keep borrowing them".
I suppose it's "off-brand", but Dan says so many inspiring things in his live show (perhaps especially when he is not trying to be inspiring; e.g., his exhortations when he signs off are a bit overdone).

For a while I had this as part of my signature here--it's from one of his liveshows in January or so:

"Life is all about finding the right people."

I like a lot of what he says about labels, though probably the sentiments are too controversial for a t-shirt, but may be this one, from his most recent liveshow (I think--why don't I keep better notes?), is simple enough:

"You don’t have to label yourself."

You could even run those two together, I think!
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Is Phil dumb?? :') He makes it sound like he specifically got bird seed for them as well, like stop that shit or I won't blame your neighbors when they clock you in the face next time they see you because I would. When the building where my grandma used to live had a swarm of those flying rats flying around it took months of a trained bird of prety flying around every so often to chase the little fucks away.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
karma_yeah
philussy

jesuisunèléve wrote:
DatCog wrote: Aww they've got a balcony again, this makes me happy :D
I hope they don't get evicted within the week.
I see this as indisputable proof that Phil needs a pet!
What goes around, comes around Image
000dia000
emo goose

I'm honestly lost to the rationale of why someone would feed birds in a city. Maybe one of their parents do it? It's not uncommon to feed wild birds and have them come to the garden. My grandmother has a bird feeder and would point out all the birds she sees. The only thing I can't understand is why they would do this in the city? Surely they have seen that in most inner areas there are probably only seagulls, pigeons or crows, not exactly as exciting as a blue tit. Or as Catellana has said, they're quite daft (I put the blame on both of them, one of them should have stopped the other). Or *drum rolls* they don't live in London but live in the outskirts or near an more greener/forested area where there's more nature/bird sanctuaries that they felt like feeding the wildlife would please their inner Disney princess.

Maybe Phil is experimenting with a new nut and seedy cereal, didn't like it, so decided to throw his weetabix out the window? Or, the most likely option, they haven't actually put any seeds out, but a previous occupant did, and their neighbours are making a firm stance of "please don't"
:cactus:
shoe
Moderator Emeritus

000dia000 wrote:I'm honestly lost to the rationale of why someone would feed birds in a city. Maybe one of their parents do it? It's not uncommon to feed wild birds and have them come to the garden. My grandmother has a bird feeder and would point out all the birds she sees. The only thing I can't understand is why they would do this in the city? Surely they have seen that in most inner areas there are probably only seagulls, pigeons or crows, not exactly as exciting as a blue tit. Or as Catellana has said, they're quite daft (I put the blame on both of them, one of them should have stopped the other). Or *drum rolls* they don't live in London but live in the outskirts or near an more greener/forested area where there's more nature/bird sanctuaries that they felt like feeding the wildlife would please their inner Disney princess.

Maybe Phil is experimenting with a new nut and seedy cereal, didn't like it, so decided to throw his weetabix out the window? Or, the most likely option, they haven't actually put any seeds out, but a previous occupant did, and their neighbours are making a firm stance of "please don't"
I think Phil is kind of longing for a garden, and was hoping that a balcony would allow him to do at least some of the garden-related things he wanted. Phil grew up in a rural area, and when you live in a rural (or suburban) area, feeding the birds is nice. You feel a sense that you are caring for these birds. If you feed them consistently they will keep coming back, and you might start to notice individuals (or think you are noticing individuals). It has some of the appeal of having a pet, but you don't have the same long term commitment as you do with a domestic animal. If Phil was thinking of the balcony as a garden, I can imagine him forgetting that all there is in the city is pigeons. Or not forgetting that, but not caring. I agree that feeding pigeons on a balcony is a bad idea, because they would keep coming back, and poo everywhere, but when they're just roaming in the city, pecking about, they don't seem so bad. Not everyone hates pigeons, Phil might be someone who doesn't. Maybe he imagined them pecking about on his balcony and he thought that would be nice, forgetting that where they eat, they also poo.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

(I would totally feed pigeons.

I feel you, Phil. I feel you.)
pastelspectre
stress mushroom

when i lived in an apartment complex in new york with my family (not nyc, a small city in ny), and we had a pond with a lot of birds and ducks i fed a lot of them and they never came back crawling for more. maybe that was just the apartment complex tho.
:transheart:
secretagentphan
procrastinator

cherrybomb3 wrote:

sorry i dont mean to cause a kerfuffle but that gif sort of rubbed me up the wrong way. sure, say that you domt want to involve yourself, but i feel a bit like telling people to shut up and saying you dont care is a cheap way to seem above other peoples opinions and the argument as a whole

Sorry if I rubbed anyone the wrong way, I didn't mean for it to be as harsh as the gif came across, I was just being silly. I'm literally ALWAYS a part of the long conversations everyone hates so by all means I don't want to discourage conversation just because I'm not interested. Sorry again! :platonic:
sugar
eclipse shirt

[offtopic]
secretagentphan wrote:
cherrybomb3 wrote:

Sorry if I rubbed anyone the wrong way, I didn't mean for it to be as harsh as the gif came across, I was just being silly. I'm literally ALWAYS a part of the long conversations everyone hates so by all means I don't want to discourage conversation just because I'm not interested. Sorry again! :platonic:
i find it kind of insensitive, anyway, to say that you don't care or are uninterested. of course everyone doesn't have to partake in every conversation, but this is one where it's probably better for you to just not say anything at all. lot's of people don't have the option to not care about racism and cultural appropriation and for you to come in here in say that is really your privilege talking.[/offtopic]

in other news ALWAYS post when i am out of town. which is quite often, recently. however, they posted this video while i was in my friend's car doing my makeup outside a venue last night and i took extra time i didn't have to stop and watch it. i am kind of sick of the app videos and things that aren't really gaming but i get that they've been a bit busy with the move. hoping for some longer lets plays coming up once they're settled.

that aside, i totally enjoyed the video. it was sweet and funny and i just can't get over the picture of dan from singapore. it's not even a good picture of dan which is what really gets me. i love the confirmation that phil is just always taking pictures of dan, whether or not the intention of posting them to the internet is there. very sweet and domestic to me.

and i'm very excited for the next sims video. the sims videos are what really introduced me to dan and phil (i've known of them since 2012 but was always under the impression that i wouldn't like their videos until recently). definitely ready for them to "upgrade" dab and see what happens. i always wonder if they'll continue the series once dil dies. will they continue with dab as the star? will they start a whole new game from scratch for something fresh? i'd hate for the series to end but i feel like at some point it might get old? i hope not. anyone else have thoughts on this?
dontpanic
#relatable

so offtopic but...
I had a dream where the crafting channel won a BONCA for best series of the year. When I woke up I was kinda disappointed it didn't actually happen.

Edit: also I just rewatched the three-legged DDR vid, and now I realize that yes, their old gaming room was quite tiny
MaggieW
glabella

Merch: it looks so pretty!! i loved the japhan merch before but black wasn't really my colour so now this is perfect. Now I need the money. They look amazing in the photos too, and I'm happy to see Cornelia there!
Also a little bit off topic from pages ago: I don't think this is cultural appropiation/wrong at all? I mean, I'm not japanese but if Deppy happen to make merch with my language (spanish) on it I wouldn't be mad or offended at all but that's just me.

Video: i loved it and i laughed so much, Phil looks sooooo pretty as a girl omg, and now I want dan to wear make up (if he wants of course)
onetruetrash
blobfish

uglyamerican wrote:
Oh god, I pity the tourists who come to my city and feed the seagulls. They dive at people, follow them everywhere, even when they drive away the birds still follow.
llion
living flop

awsugar wrote:that aside, i totally enjoyed the video. it was sweet and funny and i just can't get over the picture of dan from singapore. it's not even a good picture of dan which is what really gets me. i love the confirmation that phil is just always taking pictures of dan, whether or not the intention of posting them to the internet is there. very sweet and domestic to me.
me too!! i audibly gasped when i saw it. it's not exactly flattering but it oozes fond and the fact that phil took it makes me all warm and fuzzy. it looks so real, you know? and dan is pretty much adorable no matter how unfortunate the angle which doesn't hurt.
awsugar wrote:and i'm very excited for the next sims video. the sims videos are what really introduced me to dan and phil (i've known of them since 2012 but was always under the impression that i wouldn't like their videos until recently). definitely ready for them to "upgrade" dab and see what happens. i always wonder if they'll continue the series once dil dies. will they continue with dab as the star? will they start a whole new game from scratch for something fresh? i'd hate for the series to end but i feel like at some point it might get old? i hope not. anyone else have thoughts on this?
they've been making the sims videos for so long, it's weird to think about it ending. but i've always assumed whenever dil was gone they'd continue with his child. it's kind of amazing he hasn't died in some sort of freak accident, as sims so often do, with dan and phil's accident-prone tendencies. i can't wait to see how dab grows and what sort of personality he has!! i hope they keep his hair giant throughout his life just because. i'm not sure they'd ever start from scratch though, unless they somehow lost the save unplanned or something and have to fill the gap with something. i'd say they'd just continue with dab or end the series.
art credit: koreinkorein (thank you!)
/fɪl lɛstɚ/
sad dimple

llion wrote:they've been making the sims videos for so long, it's weird to think about it ending. but i've always assumed whenever dil was gone they'd continue with his child. it's kind of amazing he hasn't died in some sort of freak accident, as sims so often do, with dan and phil's accident-prone tendencies. i can't wait to see how dab grows and what sort of personality he has!! i hope they keep his hair giant throughout his life just because. i'm not sure they'd ever start from scratch though, unless they somehow lost the save unplanned or something and have to fill the gap with something. i'd say they'd just continue with dab or end the series.
Theory: deppy have actually killed dil a few times, but everytime it happens they just go back to the last saved point and redo it all. that's why some videos seem to have a very clear plan and/or choppy/sloppy editing and others don't
I am always on Phil Lester's side
llion
living flop

/fɪl lɛstɚ/ wrote:
llion wrote:they've been making the sims videos for so long, it's weird to think about it ending. but i've always assumed whenever dil was gone they'd continue with his child. it's kind of amazing he hasn't died in some sort of freak accident, as sims so often do, with dan and phil's accident-prone tendencies. i can't wait to see how dab grows and what sort of personality he has!! i hope they keep his hair giant throughout his life just because. i'm not sure they'd ever start from scratch though, unless they somehow lost the save unplanned or something and have to fill the gap with something. i'd say they'd just continue with dab or end the series.
Theory: deppy have actually killed dil a few times, but everytime it happens they just go back to the last saved point and redo it all. that's why some videos seem to have a very clear plan and/or choppy/sloppy editing and others don't
THATS SUCH A WILD THOUGHT??? and not all that far fetched tbh. maybe that's also why they just have him do things (like fix a radio) so carelessly.
art credit: koreinkorein (thank you!)