Daniel & Phil Part 44: This isn't a forever home

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
/fɪl lɛstɚ/
sad dimple
Pronouns: she/her

Not sure if this has been posted already, but both Dan and Phil liked this tweet: and I honestly think that's such a fucking cute thing for them to do??? Ugh.
I am always on Phil Lester's side
sugar
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: they/them

/fɪl lɛstɚ/ wrote:Not sure if this has been posted already, but both Dan and Phil liked this tweet: and I honestly think that's such a fucking cute thing for them to do??? Ugh.
i'm 100% a phan believer but that doesn't really say anything to me. i retweeted it earlier and those pictures have been all over my timeline so it doesn't seem odd to me that they'd both see it and think it was funny
llion
living flop

/fɪl lɛstɚ/ wrote:Not sure if this has been posted already, but both Dan and Phil liked this tweet: and I honestly think that's such a fucking cute thing for them to do??? Ugh.
i thought it was cute to see both of them liking it as well! i didn't see it anywhere else but from them personally, and i send stuff like that to my friends all the time ("tag yourself") and i liked picturing them doing that haha. i'm sure dan would say "i'm the pizza on the ground" or something silly like that, and phil would praise the cute art. but even if they just both happened to like it, it's adorable imo. they really do have the same tastes.
art credit: koreinkorein (thank you!)
/fɪl lɛstɚ/
sad dimple

llion wrote:
i thought it was cute to see both of them liking it as well! i didn't see it anywhere else but from them personally, and i send stuff like that to my friends all the time ("tag yourself") and i liked picturing them doing that haha. i'm sure dan would say "i'm the pizza on the ground" or something silly like that, and phil would praise the cute art. but even if they just both happened to like it, it's adorable imo. they really do have the same tastes.
that's exactly what I pictured! Phil would probably want to be the raven and Dan would be like... no way
I am always on Phil Lester's side
llion
living flop

/fɪl lɛstɚ/ wrote:
llion wrote:
that's exactly what I pictured! Phil would probably want to be the raven and Dan would be like... no way
oh my god he so would. me too phil, me too. ("but it matches my hair!" "you're the human embodiment of sunshine phil, it's like all possible darkness inside you decided to gather on your head.")
art credit: koreinkorein (thank you!)
DatCog
blobfish

Because it's a bank holiday in the UK, I keep thinking it's a Sunday rather than Monday and was pleasantly surprised when I realised we get a new DINOF tonight! Does everyone think it'll be a Dan re-brand? I can't really imagine it being anything else.
vincentian
hobbit hair

Dan's rebrand seems most plausible. I am not very excited as it's finally time for another (rare) dinof and it's going to be wasted on Dan talking about himself/his channel instead of making something topical. He expressed how he feels about dinof in liveshows, so I don't expect much new information for the dedicated viewers.

New merch isn't something I'd personally wear, but I recently bought zipper shoes, so I guess I'm brainwashed one way or another lol.
Face App video was v cute and cheered me up, but people using horrific screenshots as avatars is not cool.
autumnhearth
senpai

DatCog wrote:
karma_yeah wrote:
dontpanic wrote:
Edit: I have a very very important question. Does their kitchen have a breakfast bar?
Asking the REAL questions . . . for science of course!

Top of the page, seriously?!!
If it's really spacious, they might have an island unit
Island, yes please. What I really want to know is, is the kitchen downstairs or up? (Or are there perhaps two kitchens? Their use of the word duplex still confuses me. Also do we know for sure if Phil's bedroom is downstairs? I assume so because of the not wanting to haul the camera comments). If a the kitchen is downstairs I think we are more likely to see it sooner than Halloween. I want more baking. And a cooking ls please (one of them cooks, the other keeps an eye on the chat but occasionally leaves us to do sous chef things and be domestic together).

I'm enjoying the merch suggestions. Particularly the quotes. "Normalness leads to sadness". I wish I could tolerate socks with images on them, but they feel so wrong against my skin. I just can't.

Off topic-ish but I can't help sharing domestic D&P watching stories:
I thought my husband's interest (tolerance) in deppy (there you all have conditioned me) was waning. He made a comment about it a couple days ago and he's been playing Skyrim later and later into the night, leaving me to do my own thing. Saturday night I sat close to him and had early PINOF and the first AmazingDan (I can't stand the second anymore, so cringe with the rape references) video playing on my iPad. He was looking at them pretty frequently and his eyes went so big so many times. He did say he wondered why people enjoyed watching them, as they were so immature, but you could also see him reacting to the intimacy. We also watched cat face and the earlier jelly bean roulette (I didn't realize just how many times they used that in their various videos) Unfortunately he wasn't paying much attention to the cat face one and missed out on all the blushing.

Then last night, when I was expecting another late Skyrim session, he said "Just let me finish up this part and we can watch Dan and Phil". Music to my ears. "What kind of Dan and Phil?"

He wanted to see Australia after watching Japan a few days ago, so we watched 'Will We Survive Australia' (I thought he was going to hate the costumes but he loved their teasing, like you could actually see him light up about it, my anti-shipping husband is slowly being converted. I mean he believes their a couple, he just says it doesn't matter/no one should care) DITL Australia (so adorable), DITL London came on after that and he let it roll but was getting very sleepy at the end. However he surprised me again in asking me to bring down a snack and we ended with Google Feud 2 (his choice) and the face swap app at my begging request and he actually loved it despite insisting the choice was lame.

My long term goal is to get him to watch all the a baking video. But I don't think I will push it until October. And despite his outward aversion to the Punk and Pastel edits, I think he would actually like them. (Though I just watched those again with my son, so I'm pretty satisfied for now.) And I think he will actually enjoy the more recent PINOFs (is there anyone else who dislikes PINOF 4? Like there a few cute moments but Dan's hair and their body language just makes me sad).

Also! Yesterday evening I curiously looked for Dan and Phil items on Etsy as I had seen some handmade plushies that I thought looked better than the official merch. Alas they were not there. But we saw these beauties. https://www.etsy.com/listing/527545695/ ... =related-1

Pastel D&P Funko Pops with glowing unicorn plushie! My son immediately wanted them. But with the price, the painty quality and the weird leg stances we decided it would be best just to admire them from afar and hope that one day Funko makes official pops of them. He does want little Lego Dan and Phil, but we both agreed Phil needs a different shirt and we might just make our own . https://www.etsy.com/listing/467651473/ ... =related-4
Last edited by autumnhearth on Mon May 01, 2017 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
onetruetrash
blobfish

vincentian wrote:Dan's rebrand seems most plausible. I am not very excited as it's finally time for another (rare) dinof and it's going to be wasted on Dan talking about himself/his channel instead of making something topical. He expressed how he feels about dinof in liveshows, so I don't expect much new information for the dedicated viewers.
Okay, am I the only one who doesn't want Dan to rebrand as Dan Howell? I mean, his danisnotonfire name is such a staple. Would they still call it "phil is not on fire" because it wouldn't make much sense otherwise. They would have to call it "phil howell" or.... Oh, wait, never mind, I take it back.
lishachi
eclipse shirt

I mean we should lower our expectations right...last time Dan told us about a video....we got....Internet...Support.........Group.............

Please don't let it be another one.
:biflag: :blackheart:
DatCog
blobfish

If it's another ISG, I'm out...that would be an unforgivable sin in my book!

As a relatively new fan (late 2015), I'm not particularly attached to the DINOF brand so I wouldn't be bothered if Dan ditched it.

autumnhearth I love your domestic stories of watching D&P with your family!
autumnhearth
senpai

My thoughts on PINOF exactly (I don't care as much about DINOF staying) Someone did mention the 'Phil Howell" thing earlier and I think it's adorable, hilarious and very unlikely. I think they could still use PhilIsNotOnFire as it is very much an established thing and I don't think Dan will be completely erasing his user name from history (if he changes it at all). So torn. We shall just have to wait and see.
DatCog wrote: autumnhearth I love your domestic stories of watching D&P with your family!
Yay! Thanks. (Let's see if the husband will watch the new video with me today, as he has the day off. I'm betting on no, so that I can be pleased if he does.)
lurker
janice from the shop

i'd be a bit nostalgic/sad too if dan ditched dinof completely! i'm weirdly attached to the end screen/logo thing, too; i mean it objectively doesn't look great but it's endearing and i don't want it to go. but i'll wait with that until it actually happens and! who knows!! cool things might happen along with the rebrand! i'm thinking that in hindsight, dan made sound choices with the "branding-related" things he ditched over the course of time (sexy endscreen dance, danosaurs, ...placentas...should we consider placentas part of his past branding, i don't know), so i don't expect him to do something drastic that will actively diminish my interest in his main channel.

i'm still so curious about the video though! "what's it gonna be?" by shura is playing softly in the distance.

i think my problem with dinof videos is that i always want them to be really good and then i get low-key anxious because i'd be sad if i was disappointed and it's really dumb especially because that means that apparently i hold him to the very same imaginary "quality threshold" that i've voiced distress over in the past

why is there an image saying "jesp woz here" at the bottom of the page? i'm confused.
thank's you were great
saffarinda
truth bomb

onetruetrash wrote:
vincentian wrote:Dan's rebrand seems most plausible. I am not very excited as it's finally time for another (rare) dinof and it's going to be wasted on Dan talking about himself/his channel instead of making something topical. He expressed how he feels about dinof in liveshows, so I don't expect much new information for the dedicated viewers.
Okay, am I the only one who doesn't want Dan to rebrand as Dan Howell? I mean, his danisnotonfire name is such a staple. Would they still call it "phil is not on fire" because it wouldn't make much sense otherwise. They would have to call it "phil howell" or.... Oh, wait, never mind, I take it back.
Maybe he took on the "Daniel Lester" (good suggestion) advice ;)
25/04/2017 - #blessed
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

onetruetrash wrote:
Honestly I'd just see Dan changing his username and making a big deal out of it with some cheesy 'New Beginnings' style video as him fooling himself into thinking he's doing something worthwhile or something idk. It's like when people cut their hair to symbolize that they're changing into a new and better version of themselves, but then they end up doing the same shit they always did. It's nothing more than a feeling.. There's no point in it if he just keeps making the same subpar (sorry but the survey made me realize that I loved only one video of him last year and it was a bit painful..) content and I don't think he will change that. Oh he might dream of making something on the more serious filmmaker side of things like the TABINOF/TATINOF trailer thing (remember when he wanted to make a documentary because he basically thought he could do better than the director of the one he presented?) but not that many people are here for it and I doubt he'll ever get there. Like he seems to be pretty okay with his content rn (or at least confident enough in uploading the same damn video every few months) so

I would've understood a rebrand in 2013 when they were with the BBC and trying more to break into mainstream media.. or even before they'd attach their branding to the tour or permanent physical objects like the books. But now it's just YouTube. And danisnotonfire is far from the worst username he could've chosen as teen. It's unique, kinda quirky (not necessarily random xDD imo) and it suits the channel imo.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
shoe
Moderator Emeritus

lurker wrote:why is there an image saying "jesp woz here" at the bottom of the page? i'm confused.
cherrybomb3
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: he/him

Catallena wrote: (remember when he wanted to make a documentary because he basically thought he could do better than the director of the one he presented?)

ouch
fancybum
senpai

In a strange turn of events, I feel weirdly optimistic today? I won't go so far as to say my expectations are high, but they're not low.. I think the excitement of the (upcoming at the time he filmed? y/n?) move could have been a good motivating element to however he frames the video (if indeed it is about rebranding). Leaving his old branding in his old flat (and yeah all it really comes down to is being able to use 'Dan Howell' professionally with less confusion to stupid people? I guess?) is like how all the llama shit was meant to die with tatinof, the physical part (stage show/moving) helps to cement the psychological part (growing up and out of the past). Basically as meaningless as it ultimately is (name change in a few places, big whoop), maybe it really will help get over some things he feels constrained by, and maybe that relief will be expressed with some fresh creativity and humour. I'm excited?

(If I have to eat these words later, oh well. )
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
lishachi
eclipse shirt

Catallena wrote:
onetruetrash wrote:
Honestly I'd just see Dan changing his username and making a big deal out of it with some cheesy 'New Beginnings' style video as him fooling himself into thinking he's doing something worthwhile or something idk. It's like when people cut their hair to symbolize that they're changing into a new and better version of themselves, but then they end up doing the same shit they always did. It's nothing more than a feeling.. There's no point in it if he just keeps making the same subpar (sorry but the survey made me realize that I loved only one video of him last year and it was a bit painful..) content and I don't think he will change that.

Shit, this made me laugh. It is true though, I realised it too during the survey, I voted for Diss Track because it's the one that made me laugh the most, the others were ok. I hope he isn't holding back because he wants a certain audience, i.e more male viewers, and is still under the 'quality content' impression. I understand he's an overthinker and whatever but he's uploaded 4 videos this year. 4. I mean, the videos and the channel do well considering how much he uploads, but where do you draw the line? 'Quality content' only seems fitting if you actually upload the content.

(That sounded meaner than I intended. I apologise. Just been something I've been thinking about. I also get him and Phil have been moving, but Phil's managed to upload. Albeit, some with Dan, but you get what I mean.)
:biflag: :blackheart:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

lishachi wrote:I also get him and Phil have been moving, but Phil's managed to upload. Albeit, some with Dan, but you get what I mean.)
This is actually my whole problem with it. The fact that Dan has no issue sticking to a schedule with the gaming channel and content he puts out with Phil (which at this point we can all but certainly say he edits most of) so it really is just something psychological for him that makes dinof videos such a rarity. But if changing the channel name (whether it happens to today or a year from now) helps him with that, then whatever works.

I do think he's already started this visual rebranding process, though; he's just gone about it the same slow burn route the tend to take with everything these days. Curly hair, less and less black outfits, etc. If the rebranding video comes today then I will probably assume that in his mind changing all of those things in the same span of time is not a coincedence but a result of a new comfort/confidence that possibly could bleed over into his solo work on youtube. I mean, I'm not holding my breath, I'm just not ruling it out entirely.
saffarinda
truth bomb

I think it would be quite funny tonight if the video isn't him re-branding and we were all wrong. I'd bet my life it isn't an ISG - the last one was way too recent. My favourite Dan video's are usually the storytimes (I Nearly Blinded Myself was great imo) but idk if that's the kinda vid he'd pick for the final one in the old house.
25/04/2017 - #blessed
nephilimcat
woodland creature

Unlike with the moving video, I am neither hyped nor have any expectations nor really care about the video today. I really don't expect anything since the last time when I expected something happening on Dan's channel, he ended up uploading the (imo) worst episode of ISG so far. I don't even know if we'll ever get that "cheeky" video he mentioned and if this video will be anything special at all

I'm so happy with Phil as a person, Deppy's relationship dynamic and DAPG at the moment, that I don't really care that much about DINOF at all. There was a time where I preferred Dan's videos and at the moment I don't. That's fine. And who knows, maybe he will surprise me today!
pulvis et umbra sumus
saffarinda
truth bomb

alittledizzy wrote:
lishachi wrote:I also get him and Phil have been moving, but Phil's managed to upload. Albeit, some with Dan, but you get what I mean.)
This is actually my whole problem with it. The fact that Dan has no issue sticking to a schedule with the gaming channel and content he puts out with Phil (which at this point we can all but certainly say he edits most of) so it really is just something psychological for him that makes dinof videos such a rarity. But if changing the channel name (whether it happens to today or a year from now) helps him with that, then whatever works.

I do think he's already started this visual rebranding process, though; he's just gone about it the same slow burn route the tend to take with everything these days. Curly hair, less and less black outfits, etc. If the rebranding video comes today then I will probably assume that in his mind changing all of those things in the same span of time is not a coincedence but a result of a new comfort/confidence that possibly could bleed over into his solo work on youtube. I mean, I'm not holding my breath, I'm just not ruling it out entirely.
Dan seems to only post videos that he thinks really fit the dinof brand (bar stuff like the photobooth and blindfolded makeup challenge). His videos always seem to require a key central topic relating to him, that have to be perfected with the right amount of sketches and edits between clips - Phil's main channel vids are much chiller, more "sit down with me whilst I joke and talk for five minutes" with some sketches. Gaming channel vids are also easier to throw out because it's just playing a game with easy banter in between. Dan has a kind of "perfectionist" element with his main channel, maybe because that's what he assumes most people will judge his personality on, so tries to only pick the best ideas to suit his internet personality.

I'd like him to upload more on his main channel, but I love gaming vids tbh so the fact that they're uploading much more on the gaming channel in comparison to main channels doesn't upset me. Unlike a year or so ago when gaming vids AND main channel vids were rarities.
25/04/2017 - #blessed
jhamba
procrastinator

Catallena wrote:It's like when people cut their hair to symbolize that they're changing into a new and better version of themselves
You realize that Dan did exactly this with the curly hair, right?
Just trying to spread the Dangirl agenda
awkwardly
living flop

autumnhearth wrote:
awkwardly wrote:
Catallena wrote: - Here we go with the screaming again. Dan is already pissing off the new neighbors.

but I thought they said they have no neighbours to worry about on that side "and there is no neighbour through the walls sleeping so we won't have that sudden realisation of thinking that we were screaming at people trying to sleep for 4 years" (14:27 ls)
(but yes, less screaming please)
I think they were talking specifically about there being no neighbors on the other side of that wall of the snug/slounge, because on the other side of that wall is the gaming room :dapg:
but they never screamed in their old lounge cause they start talking about the new gaming channel then they say the line above about not worrying about neighbours while filming screaming videos there and then they pat the wall of snug too.

it is not really important just after the liveshow how they worded it I imagined they are on the ground floors in some kind of those new complexes (maybe with a mini garden or terrace)

(more convenient for those Phil bird feedings. maybe he was trying to recreate that Enchanted scene )

Also I never realised how much wildlife is there in english gardens. I'm subscribed to the Wildlife Aid Foundation yt channel and yeah, squirrels and foxes and hedgehogs
~but the golden age is over