Daniel & Phil Part 44: This isn't a forever home

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
onetruetrash
blobfish

jhamba wrote:
Catallena wrote:It's like when people cut their hair to symbolize that they're changing into a new and better version of themselves
You realize that Dan did exactly this with the curly hair, right?
I just realized that holy shit

really this shit gets on top of the page
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

saffarinda wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:
lishachi wrote:I also get him and Phil have been moving, but Phil's managed to upload. Albeit, some with Dan, but you get what I mean.)
This is actually my whole problem with it. The fact that Dan has no issue sticking to a schedule with the gaming channel and content he puts out with Phil (which at this point we can all but certainly say he edits most of) so it really is just something psychological for him that makes dinof videos such a rarity. But if changing the channel name (whether it happens to today or a year from now) helps him with that, then whatever works.

I do think he's already started this visual rebranding process, though; he's just gone about it the same slow burn route the tend to take with everything these days. Curly hair, less and less black outfits, etc. If the rebranding video comes today then I will probably assume that in his mind changing all of those things in the same span of time is not a coincedence but a result of a new comfort/confidence that possibly could bleed over into his solo work on youtube. I mean, I'm not holding my breath, I'm just not ruling it out entirely.
Dan seems to only post videos that he thinks really fit the dinof brand (bar stuff like the photobooth and blindfolded makeup challenge). His videos always seem to require a key central topic relating to him, that have to be perfected with the right amount of sketches and edits between clips - Phil's main channel vids are much chiller, more "sit down with me whilst I joke and talk for five minutes" with some sketches. Gaming channel vids are also easier to throw out because it's just playing a game with easy banter in between. Dan has a kind of "perfectionist" element with his main channel, maybe because that's what he assumes most people will judge his personality on, so tries to only pick the best ideas to suit his internet personality.

I'd like him to upload more on his main channel, but I love gaming vids tbh so the fact that they're uploading much more on the gaming channel in comparison to main channels doesn't upset me. Unlike a year or so ago when gaming vids AND main channel vids were rarities.
You're definitely right, and that's what I mean by it being psychological with Dan. I don't think he's a perfectionist so much as he is a procrastinator with higher ambition than skill who knows he'll never put out a finished product as good as what's in his mind - hence, four videos last year. But the reality is that his sketches involve minimal props and no extras, no different locations, and are basically just supplements to exactly the kinds of videos Phil makes: telling a story to his camera. It's something in Dan's head (dislike of pressure, fear of failure, awareness of audience, etc) that makes him put his style of video on such a pedestal above Phil's or the gaming channel - and consequently makes him not want to make them.

I personally don't care much for Dan's solo content (because he's barely made any since I've been in the fandom) and as far as a rebranding, I'm interested insofar as it relates to how comfortable Dan feels and when paired to the other changes he's making in his life - not so much how it effects his channel itself. (Which kind of leaves me neutral about today. Won't be surprised if it is rebranding, won't be disappointed/upset if it isn't.)
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

alittledizzy wrote:
saffarinda wrote:
alittledizzy wrote: This is actually my whole problem with it. The fact that Dan has no issue sticking to a schedule with the gaming channel and content he puts out with Phil (which at this point we can all but certainly say he edits most of) so it really is just something psychological for him that makes dinof videos such a rarity. But if changing the channel name (whether it happens to today or a year from now) helps him with that, then whatever works.

I personally don't care much for Dan's solo content (because he's barely made any since I've been in the fandom) and as far as a rebranding, I'm interested insofar as it relates to how comfortable Dan feels and when paired to the other changes he's making in his life - not so much how it effects his channel itself. (Which kind of leaves me neutral about today. Won't be surprised if it is rebranding, won't be disappointed/upset if it isn't.)
Maybe I'm a fake fan (actually, probably just not a very visual person--I often miss jumpcuts), but how can one tell that Phil's videos are being edited by Dan? And anyone have any theories about why Dan does most of the editing these days?

I think with Dan's videos, I either love them or hate (am disappointed in) them. I've been doing my part to make the Diss Track one of his most-viewed videos ever, and I will never rewatch an ISG.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
Sakura Selfie
rainbow nerd

awkwardly wrote:
autumnhearth wrote:
awkwardly wrote:
Catallena wrote: - Here we go with the screaming again. Dan is already pissing off the new neighbors.

but I thought they said they have no neighbours to worry about on that side "and there is no neighbour through the walls sleeping so we won't have that sudden realisation of thinking that we were screaming at people trying to sleep for 4 years" (14:27 ls)
(but yes, less screaming please)
I think they were talking specifically about there being no neighbors on the other side of that wall of the snug/slounge, because on the other side of that wall is the gaming room :dapg:
but they never screamed in their old lounge cause they start talking about the new gaming channel then they say the line above about not worrying about neighbours while filming screaming videos there and then they pat the wall of snug too.

it is not really important just after the liveshow how they worded it I imagined they are on the ground floors in some kind of those new complexes (maybe with a mini garden or terrace)

(more convenient for those Phil bird feedings. maybe he was trying to recreate that Enchanted scene )

Also I never realised how much wildlife is there in english gardens. I'm subscribed to the Wildlife Aid Foundation yt channel and yeah, squirrels and foxes and hedgehogs
Now I need phil to adopt a "pet" hedgehog, not actually keep it or touch it but have hedgehogs he feeds and allows to run wild in a garden and puts pictures of on his twitter and i had no idea that I needed this but I think I do.

The face app video was fun, they both have beautiful eyes and cheekbones so it was no surprise they'd be beautiful women but I wish they'd shown how phil looked like as a woman in the ladybird jumper.

Dan hasn't hyped this video as much so watch it be a good one just to mess with everyones expectations
awkwardly
living flop

Sakura Selfie wrote:
awkwardly wrote:
autumnhearth wrote:
awkwardly wrote:
Catallena wrote: - Here we go with the screaming again. Dan is already pissing off the new neighbors.

but I thought they said they have no neighbours to worry about on that side "and there is no neighbour through the walls sleeping so we won't have that sudden realisation of thinking that we were screaming at people trying to sleep for 4 years" (14:27 ls)
(but yes, less screaming please)
I think they were talking specifically about there being no neighbors on the other side of that wall of the snug/slounge, because on the other side of that wall is the gaming room :dapg:
but they never screamed in their old lounge cause they start talking about the new gaming channel then they say the line above about not worrying about neighbours while filming screaming videos there and then they pat the wall of snug too.

it is not really important just after the liveshow how they worded it I imagined they are on the ground floors in some kind of those new complexes (maybe with a mini garden or terrace)

(more convenient for those Phil bird feedings. maybe he was trying to recreate that Enchanted scene )

Also I never realised how much wildlife is there in english gardens. I'm subscribed to the Wildlife Aid Foundation yt channel and yeah, squirrels and foxes and hedgehogs
Now I need phil to adopt a "pet" hedgehog, not actually keep it or touch it but have hedgehogs he feeds and allows to run wild in a garden and puts pictures of on his twitter and i had no idea that I needed this but I think I do.
awwww that could be lovely
~but the golden age is over
majitzu
angel bean

Phil's videos are edited by him, except maybe the join ones, like ditl, baking or pinof. The gaming videos are mostly edit by Dan, he said that in a ls, and Phil is in charge of the thumbnail, room decoration and I think he is the one who choose what game would they play (if it was for Dan we wouldn't have so many videos because is so undecided and kind of perfectionist).

I don't think Dan's rebranding would be a big deal. Probably he woould say, I have change my youtube channel name, and that will be all. I also have no expectacions for this video, I don't think it would be a ISG video tho nor a rebranding one.

Finally I love dizzy tumblr post so I came here to share it
[tumblr] <div class="tumblr-post" data-href="https://embed.tumblr.com/embed/post/TwD ... 0193313325" data-did="da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709">[/tumblr]
Veritine
tol bean

Just stopping in to say that if Dan rebrands to Dan Howell it will be the perfect opportunity to bring back Amazing Dan!

I will never stop dreaming
sans
delia smith
Pronouns: him/they

majitzu wrote:Phil's videos are edited by him, except maybe the join ones, like ditl, baking or pinof. The gaming videos are mostly edit by Dan, he said that in a ls, and Phil is in charge of the thumbnail, room decoration and I think he is the one who choose what game would they play (if it was for Dan we wouldn't have so many videos because is so undecided and kind of perfectionist).

I don't think Dan's rebranding would be a big deal. Probably he woould say, I have change my youtube channel name, and that will be all. I also have no expectacions for this video, I don't think it would be a ISG video tho nor a rebranding one.

[tumblr] <div class="tumblr-post" data-href="https://embed.tumblr.com/embed/post/TwD ... 0193313325" data-did="da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709">[/tumblr]
I have nothing of substance to add to this, but I wanted to say that I nearly cried reading that. I'm so tired of gender roles and people's expectations regarding them.

I've been away for a bit so I missed a bit of conversation, but:
Honestly I'd just see Dan changing his username and making a big deal out of it with some cheesy 'New Beginnings' style video as him fooling himself into thinking he's doing something worthwhile or something idk. It's like when people cut their hair to symbolize that they're changing into a new and better version of themselves, but then they end up doing the same shit they always did. It's nothing more than a feeling.. There's no point in it if he just keeps making the same subpar (sorry but the survey made me realize that I loved only one video of him last year and it was a bit painful..) content and I don't think he will change that. Oh he might dream of making something on the more serious filmmaker side of things like the TABINOF/TATINOF trailer thing (remember when he wanted to make a documentary because he basically thought he could do better than the director of the one he presented?) but not that many people are here for it and I doubt he'll ever get there. Like he seems to be pretty okay with his content rn (or at least confident enough in uploading the same damn video every few months) so
This kind of sums up what I feel about Dan's solo content, except I don't really care about getting quality content from him, I actually like more fun and not-so-serious content like his quiz video, the photo booth challenge, blindfolded makeup, etc. I've never been a big fan of his other videos, considering the amount of time he takes in between them, I think the production level is really poor (which I wouldn't really mind if he didn't put his content in such a pedestal, talking about how he has 'standards' whenever they do something that's silly but youtube popular atm)

I wish he would either a. Stop worrying so much about being judged for putting up content that's considered cheap or money grabby and just put up whatever he feels like, as long as he has fun doing so. or b. Upgrade the quality of his videos and make something amazing, so he can have a reason to brag about his content. But anyways, he can do whatever he wants with his channel

Sorry if I'm being super negative towards Dan, but being in other youtuber's fanbases I can't think of anyone else who could get away with making 4 videos a year and not completely disappear in the shadows (except maybe JonTron, whos production value is through the roof). in general get away with posting very little, goes to show they do have the most passionate fanbase out there

Also:
(remember when he wanted to make a documentary because he basically thought he could do better than the director of the one he presented?)
When did this happen? I'm new here but I would like to see this.
saffarinda
truth bomb

alittledizzy wrote:
saffarinda wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:
lishachi wrote:I also get him and Phil have been moving, but Phil's managed to upload. Albeit, some with Dan, but you get what I mean.)
This is actually my whole problem with it. The fact that Dan has no issue sticking to a schedule with the gaming channel and content he puts out with Phil (which at this point we can all but certainly say he edits most of) so it really is just something psychological for him that makes dinof videos such a rarity. But if changing the channel name (whether it happens to today or a year from now) helps him with that, then whatever works.

I do think he's already started this visual rebranding process, though; he's just gone about it the same slow burn route the tend to take with everything these days. Curly hair, less and less black outfits, etc. If the rebranding video comes today then I will probably assume that in his mind changing all of those things in the same span of time is not a coincedence but a result of a new comfort/confidence that possibly could bleed over into his solo work on youtube. I mean, I'm not holding my breath, I'm just not ruling it out entirely.
Dan seems to only post videos that he thinks really fit the dinof brand (bar stuff like the photobooth and blindfolded makeup challenge). His videos always seem to require a key central topic relating to him, that have to be perfected with the right amount of sketches and edits between clips - Phil's main channel vids are much chiller, more "sit down with me whilst I joke and talk for five minutes" with some sketches. Gaming channel vids are also easier to throw out because it's just playing a game with easy banter in between. Dan has a kind of "perfectionist" element with his main channel, maybe because that's what he assumes most people will judge his personality on, so tries to only pick the best ideas to suit his internet personality.

I'd like him to upload more on his main channel, but I love gaming vids tbh so the fact that they're uploading much more on the gaming channel in comparison to main channels doesn't upset me. Unlike a year or so ago when gaming vids AND main channel vids were rarities.
You're definitely right, and that's what I mean by it being psychological with Dan. I don't think he's a perfectionist so much as he is a procrastinator with higher ambition than skill who knows he'll never put out a finished product as good as what's in his mind - hence, four videos last year. But the reality is that his sketches involve minimal props and no extras, no different locations, and are basically just supplements to exactly the kinds of videos Phil makes: telling a story to his camera. It's something in Dan's head (dislike of pressure, fear of failure, awareness of audience, etc) that makes him put his style of video on such a pedestal above Phil's or the gaming channel - and consequently makes him not want to make them.

I think I can agree with that. The video that comes to mind with this topic is the clip oqua posted "Phil being supportive/encouraging of Dan" Where Phil says he should upload the video but Dan say's it's not "the danisnotonfire quality level", where he thinks that once he's addressed the topic he can never return - he keeps a set structure with his videos and when they're going to be released (thinking that "this video is a March video" etc) and re-films entire videos if he feels like they're not good enough - that was where I got the idea that he had perfectionist elements.

I agree 100% on that dislike of pressure, fear of failure and awareness regarding his audience. I remember him mentioning the edgy guys that watch his videos for the humour, and sometimes wonder if he's trying to find a balance between the content that the majority of people within the phandom want, and content that would appeal to those less invested in Dan Howell and more invested in danisnotonfire, with his sarcastic, sardonic personality instead.
25/04/2017 - #blessed
saffarinda
truth bomb

sans wrote:
majitzu wrote:Phil's videos are edited by him, except maybe the join ones, like ditl, baking or pinof. The gaming videos are mostly edit by Dan, he said that in a ls, and Phil is in charge of the thumbnail, room decoration and I think he is the one who choose what game would they play (if it was for Dan we wouldn't have so many videos because is so undecided and kind of perfectionist).

I have nothing of substance to add to this, but I wanted to say that I nearly cried reading that. I'm so tired of gender roles and people's expectations regarding them.

I've been away for a bit so I missed a bit of conversation, but:
Honestly I'd just see Dan changing his username and making a big deal out of it with some cheesy 'New Beginnings' style video as him fooling himself into thinking he's doing something worthwhile or something idk. It's like when people cut their hair to symbolize that they're changing into a new and better version of themselves, but then they end up doing the same shit they always did. It's nothing more than a feeling.. There's no point in it if he just keeps making the same subpar (sorry but the survey made me realize that I loved only one video of him last year and it was a bit painful..) content and I don't think he will change that. Oh he might dream of making something on the more serious filmmaker side of things like the TABINOF/TATINOF trailer thing (remember when he wanted to make a documentary because he basically thought he could do better than the director of the one he presented?) but not that many people are here for it and I doubt he'll ever get there. Like he seems to be pretty okay with his content rn (or at least confident enough in uploading the same damn video every few months) so
This kind of sums up what I feel about Dan's solo content, except I don't really care about getting quality content from him, I actually like more fun and not-so-serious content like his quiz video, the photo booth challenge, blindfolded makeup, etc. I've never been a big fan of his other videos, considering the amount of time he takes in between them, I think the production level is really poor (which I wouldn't really mind if he didn't put his content in such a pedestal, talking about how he has 'standards' whenever they do something that's silly but youtube popular atm)

I wish he would either a. Stop worrying so much about being judged for putting up content that's considered cheap or money grabby and just put up whatever he feels like, as long as he has fun doing so. or b. Upgrade the quality of his videos and make something amazing, so he can have a reason to brag about his content. But anyways, he can do whatever he wants with his channel

Sorry if I'm being super negative towards Dan, but being in other youtuber's fanbases I can't think of anyone else who could get away with making 4 videos a year and not completely disappear in the shadows (except maybe JonTron, whos production value is through the roof). in general get away with posting very little, goes to show they do have the most passionate fanbase out there
Also:
(remember when he wanted to make a documentary because he basically thought he could do better than the director of the one he presented?)
When did this happen? I'm new here but I would like to see this.[/quote]

I remember him mentioning in a liveshow that he told the director that people on the internet aren't used to having those "walking inbetween places" shots, which is why it became a meme to compile all of the clips of Dan unnecessarily walking in the documentary (he mentions it in Top Dan Memes or you could look up "one mans journey" by danisnotonfirevyou1) but I can't remember if he said he wanted to make a documentary in that liveshow.
25/04/2017 - #blessed
papierklemmen
flower crown

are we really expecting a video today? even phil, the epitome of support, said "don't say monday" when dan announced the video would be uploaded today, lol.
JustMe
living flop
Pronouns: She/her

sans wrote:
When did this happen? I'm new here but I would like to see this.
It was in a liveshow. and I remember it being more along the likes of 'The director told me to do the akward walking and I had to do what he said even though I knew it would be cringe, if I did a documentary I would want to direct it because I know my audience and their sense of humour' (paraphrasing here, obviously)

Edit: saffarinda, you got there first
~ I'll be bold as well as strong and use my head alongside my heart ~
onetruetrash
blobfish

Regarding the "Dan is a perfectionist", I really want Dan to see that people just want to see him. I seriously want him to read these discussions.
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

i cant really relate with being a perfectionist except with certain things, but i just hope that if dan rebrands himself, he will rebrand himself into something more..comfortable and positive, if that makes sense? i want dan to rebrand himself into something that will make him proud of himself and his videos.

im sorry if this sounds..mean or something in any way, that is not my intention. i just dislike seeing dan hold his videos up to such a high standard and putting off uploading them for so long if he's not completely satisfied with them :/
:transheart:
fancybum
senpai

onetruetrash wrote:Regarding the "Dan is a perfectionist", I really want Dan to see that people just want to see him. I seriously want him to read these discussions.
He doesn't need to read these discussions because he sees comments like this on twitter/tumblr/younow every day as it is. He already knows there are a lucrative amount of people who would be happy to watch him read a phone book; it doesn't matter what anybody else wants, it's about what he wants. He doesn't want to read the phone book. He doesn't want to toss out any old crap just because people would eat it up anyway (leaving aside opinions on his content as is lately..). What he does want (on dinof) kind of remains to be seen at this point. Which is why I'm all for whatever this video is and am hoping it's the end of a chapter and he has whatever comes next in some kind of focus.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
onetruetrash
blobfish

fancybum wrote:
onetruetrash wrote:Regarding the "Dan is a perfectionist", I really want Dan to see that people just want to see him. I seriously want him to read these discussions.
He doesn't need to read these discussions because he sees comments like this on twitter/tumblr/younow every day as it is. He already knows there are a lucrative amount of people who would be happy to watch him read a phone book; it doesn't matter what anybody else wants, it's about what he wants. He doesn't want to read the phone book. He doesn't want to toss out any old crap just because people would eat it up anyway (leaving aside opinions on his content as is anyway..). What he does want (on dinof) kind of remains to be seen at this point. Which is why I'm all for whatever this video is and am hoping it's the end of a chapter and he has whatever comes next in some kind of focus.
I know, I just mean that he shouldn't put so much pressure on himself.
flarequake
not an airport stalker

I hope somewhere in all the comments Dan sees those of us who think he's sharp as hell, whether he's reacting to fanmade quizzes with no effort or put days of work and thought into a sketch video. For me his videos are great, they're what I found and loved most when I first discovered YouTube beyond Cats bootlegs. It was his videos I remembered when I hadn't been on YouTube for a while and looked up when I had a cold (two years ago this week when I became a more committed fan, we're all dying).
Susanisnotafish
flower crown

This insight and explanation are so wonderful! Thank you Dizzy and thank you majitzu for posting it here as I don't get on tumblr that often and likely would have missed this.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
sans
delia smith

I remember him mentioning in a liveshow that he told the director that people on the internet aren't used to having those "walking inbetween places" shots, which is why it became a meme to compile all of the clips of Dan unnecessarily walking in the documentary (he mentions it in Top Dan Memes or you could look up "one mans journey" by danisnotonfirevyou1) but I can't remember if he said he wanted to make a documentary in that liveshow.
It was in a liveshow. and I remember it being more along the likes of 'The director told me to do the akward walking and I had to do what he said even though I knew it would be cringe, if I did a documentary I would want to direct it because I know my audience and their sense of humour' (paraphrasing here, obviously)
Thanks! I've seen the Dan Memes video but there he didn't imply wanting to direct or anything like that, anyone happen to know what liveshow this is? :D I know it's a long shot, so don't worry if ya don't.
i cant really relate with being a perfectionist except with certain things, but i just hope that if dan rebrands himself, he will rebrand himself into something more..comfortable and positive, if that makes sense? i want dan to rebrand himself into something that will make him proud of himself and his videos.

im sorry if this sounds..mean or something in any way, that is not my intention. i just dislike seeing dan hold his videos up to such a high standard and putting off uploading them for so long if he's not completely satisfied with them :/
[/quote]

This! The man should stop worrying so much and put up content that makes him happy. I'm sure the phandom would adapt and support him.
coffeepenguin
rainbow nerd

sans wrote:
Skylar wrote: i cant really relate with being a perfectionist except with certain things, but i just hope that if dan rebrands himself, he will rebrand himself into something more..comfortable and positive, if that makes sense? i want dan to rebrand himself into something that will make him proud of himself and his videos.

This! The man should stop worrying so much and put up content that makes him happy. I'm sure the phandom would adapt and support him.
I'm pretty sure that if he could just "stop worrying so much", he would've done it ages ago, I can't imagine he's happy with the situation
Dan wants to be understood. Phil just wants to make the viewer smile and sell some backpacks (c) fancybum
saffarinda
truth bomb

fancybum wrote:
He doesn't need to read these discussions because he sees comments like this on twitter/tumblr/younow every day as it is. He already knows there are a lucrative amount of people who would be happy to watch him read a phone book; it doesn't matter what anybody else wants, it's about what he wants. He doesn't want to read the phone book. He doesn't want to toss out any old crap just because people would eat it up anyway (leaving aside opinions on his content as is lately..). What he does want (on dinof) kind of remains to be seen at this point. Which is why I'm all for whatever this video is and am hoping it's the end of a chapter and he has whatever comes next in some kind of focus.
Yeah, he low-key somewhat jokingly drags Phil for his content (the curling his hair video idea) so it's clear that he wouldn't want his main channel to be filled with just tags and the like - he considers the content on there to be the best he can produce regarding that topic - I don't believe he'd ever want to see it devolve into tags galore, even if it did mean he uploaded more frequently.
25/04/2017 - #blessed
shoe
Moderator Emeritus
Pronouns: they/them

Sometimes I think that it would be helpful for Dan and Phil to read the discussion that happens here immediately after they upload a video, to get some form of feedback that isn't inarticulate screeching, which is all I've ever seen in dapg comments.

That said, I wouldn't want them reading idb all the time, and I definitely don't think it would be helpful for Dan to read this particular discussion. A load of total strangers discussing his issues with perfectionism, and in all probability at lest partially misinterpreting them? But also in some cases touching on things which are actual deep insecurities, and then jumping to some conclusion which is incorrect, but close enough to the truth to make him question himself? No. Not helpful in the slightest. An external perspective on your mental state can be helpful, but it needs to be sensitively given and properly informed. Therapists are great for that. Forums filled with untrained strangers are not.

(Dan, if you are lurking, I'm sorry. go away. you don't need to read this. you really don't. we're not even a representative sample of your audience. If you want to see what we say about your videos, I'm flattered, but please only stay for that. If you can't leave afterwards, and are lurking enough that you catch discussions like these, that probably isn't healthy. but I acknowledge that I don't know you, and I don't know what's best for you.)
sans
delia smith

coffeepenguin wrote:
sans wrote:
Skylar wrote: i cant really relate with being a perfectionist except with certain things, but i just hope that if dan rebrands himself, he will rebrand himself into something more..comfortable and positive, if that makes sense? i want dan to rebrand himself into something that will make him proud of himself and his videos.

I'm pretty sure that if he could just "stop worrying so much", he would've done it ages ago, I can't imagine he's happy with the situation
I worded that poorly: I wish he would stop worrying so much. "Should" implies that I know what's going thru his head, which is not what I intended, sorry!
Sometimes I think that it would be helpful for Dan and Phil to read the discussion that happens here immediately after they upload a video, to get some form of feedback that isn't inarticulate screeching, which is all I've ever seen in dapg comments.

That said, I wouldn't want them reading idb all the time, and I definitely don't think it would be helpful for Dan to read this particular discussion. A load of total strangers discussing his issues with perfectionism, and in all probability at lest partially misinterpreting them? But also in some cases touching on things which are actual deep insecurities, and then jumping to some conclusion which is incorrect, but close enough to the truth to make him question himself? No. Not helpful in the slightest. An external perspective on your mental state can be helpful, but it needs to be sensitively given and properly informed. Therapists are great for that. Forums filled with untrained strangers are not.

(Dan, if you are lurking, I'm sorry. go away. you don't need to read this. you really don't. we're not even a representative sample of your audience. If you want to see what we say about your videos, I'm flattered, but please only stay for that. If you can't leave afterwards, and are lurking enough that you catch discussions like these, that probably isn't healthy. but I acknowledge that I don't know you, and I don't know what's best for you.)
God, I hope neither of them lurk on this forum. I can't even imagine what a weird experience would it be to have strangers analyze everything you show to the internet.
MaggieW
glabella

I kind of understand Dans attitude towards his own videos. I don't upload videos to youtube but I like creative writing and I also tend to be harsh on myself. Like, over analyzing everything I do, and always feeling that my stories are not what I expected them to be... that lead me to procastination because I end up with so much anxiety over something that I should be enjoying. I don't know if Dan feels the same way but if he does I can totally understand his behaviour.

It's not something easy to let go, I wish it was as easy as saying "I'm just going to relax and do the best I can do" because you end up trapped in your own thoughts and judgement :(

Also, I'm starting to see a change in Dan. Like, he seems more confident with himself (dressing the way he wants, even do things that are not conventional to boys like wearing nail polish) so I really wish that he can overcome whatever is in his mind and be more comfortable with himself when it comes to his videos. I think we can all agree that he is a talented young man and we enjoy his content, and I don't think the phandom will judge him if he does more relaxed content that doesn't necessary is up to his ~standards~. Idk, if he is happy with his content I will be happy for him, so if being this judgmental is bad for him I wish he can overcome that in the future.
whoknows
crusty sponge

I'm glad they moved and hopefully they can keep some of their privacy.

Also I think its sad that a lot of people follow "want to be big Phandom trolls" and accept what they say without checking out anything because they think they person has "insider info".