Dan & Phil Part 4: The Cheekiest Link

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert
Pronouns: she/her

Carry on, banterz.
busy being happy~
lilMango
morning quiff

The more I look at the rules list, the more my mind jumbles it up and makes it look like a giant scribble. I'll sleep on it.
Phil Lester wrote:"I'll rub myself in a mango before I eat a mango."
"Make no judgements where you have no compassion." -Anne McCaffrey
oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert

IckleMissMayhem wrote:Anyone else finding "THE RULES" almost sickeningly adorable?
or does it remind anyone of another pair of lovable nerds?
Yes, yes I do. The fact that they're clearly for Dan but Phil signed them too... :sobs:

busy being happy~
karma_yeah
philussy

Yea, thread 4 We've come so far in such a short time.

Looking forward to learning what the Howell-Lester home rules were.

I wonder how many people they have on the TATINOF crew.
What goes around, comes around Image
daichii
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: she | her

Love the thread's title xD

The rules for going to bed is the one that makes me feel more like
I just can't help it, I know it's for the sake of being productive and they have so many projects together but I can't help finding it cute and think "could they be more married?"
bluebox-away
woodland creature

Wow part 4 already, and I feel honoured to have contributed somewhat to the title by finding the cheeky link in question! :lol:
Loving the progress on the rules, definitely think "go to/prep radio 1 ___" is a strong possibility
06/04/2016 - I found The Weakest Link :ninja:
Gif credit: IckleMissMayhem
oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert

For anyone who wants to continue discussing "The Rules" (pretty please? )...
Here are some of the posts from last thread. :)

Intro post:
oqua wrote:Hey guys! At the end of the Manchester Day in the Life video, Dan and Phil play the keyboard and you can see a list of "rules."

The other day some friends of mine and I were trying to decipher these rules and we made some progress. I wanted to know if any of you can make out anything or have any input/corrections?

Here’s what we have so far. The blue parts we're pretty certain about, the purple part is more iffy:

In case you can't read what I wrote, it says:
THE RULES
[?]
1. Weekdays bed before 2am
don't get up later than 10.30am
2. Weekdays productive until 5pm
3. no breaks until the weekend
4. ____ to(?) ________ 1 _________ a week (??)
5. [?]
6. [?]

Dan Howell PLester
Here are closeup shots of the rules:

It also appears in two other videos:
Examples of Dan’s handwriting:

(much like the ancient temple boss in FFVII)

(like the ministry of magic)

Note that he does his f's weird. This says "far": Image

From the video Gnosia posted:

oqua wrote:
daphenaxa wrote:i think point 5 finishes by "to(?) closet and laundry"
point 6 first line seems to finish by "vs da life" or at least last word is "life" I think
I swear #5 looks like it ends with Saturday? I do think laundry could appear in there at least once, maybe twice.

And for closet...I like it, but I don't think the tall thing at the end is a t. His t's tend to be the same height as his other letters, not taller. (example: Image)

But it might say "closet)" or "closet]"? Or maybe "close)"? ("close" example: Image) Or I also like "is closed"

Could Rule 5 start with "Being"?

For the first line of Rule 6, I don't think it ends with "life." He does his f's really weird. They look like loopy j's. Here are examples of him writing "life":
Image Image Image

I think it looks like it says "to do later" maybe? The last word seems kind of distorted. Or bluebox-away's suggestion of "to do b/c" is interesting.

Also, I like the idea that he's using slashes sometimes. He does seem to like slashes:
Post about possible parentheses:
oqua wrote:Also, for the first line of Rule 5: I think that in the picture below, it's quite clear that parentheses are involved?

"______ ________ ___ _______y (_____y to close)"

?

EDIT: This is driving me crazy. I half want to tweet Dan begging him for info on what they say. At least, like, a hint. :rofl:
Trashqueen's edit:
trashqueen wrote:ohhhh i'm pretty sure that does say 'go to radio 1'
i think the word before the parenthesis might be sunday?

also no idea if this makes it better or worse but i played around w photoshop for a bit and got this
maybe comparing both versions might help idk

i have like 51456416 things i need to do for college but figuring this out became my number one priority somehow, i hate u guys

EDIT: maybe go to radio 1 once a week?
that doesn't look like once at all but i want to believe they didn't write like a boss okay
daichii wrote:The rules for going to bed is the one that makes me feel more like
I just can't help it, I know it's for the sake of being productive and they have so many projects together but I can't help finding it cute and think "could they be more married?"
No, no they could not. :D
busy being happy~
spider
ar·tic·u·late

My thread title got chosen. This is a dream come true. This is my legacy. I'd like to thank the Academy and the real MVP bluebox-away without whom none of this would have been possible as well as swofro who inspired the title suggestion. I'd also like to thank the good people of In Depth Bants who voted for it and had the good sense to keep their mouths shut about its namesake. What an honor this is. What a privilege.

oqua wrote:Image

stella2000 wrote:Sorry if this was already posted!! But I'm so happy.
I've been wanting this for years!
Have a wander over to the last thread starting at page 19 and enjoy the ride. It was a wild one.
Elemancy
butt chair

Could 4 be: 'warm up for Radio 1 once a week?'
with the word up right underneath warm?

(I swear Dan's handwriting is the new Phaistos Disc.)
:dildo:
daphenaxa
blobfish

oqua wrote:For anyone who wants to continue discussing "The Rules" (pretty please? )...
Here are some of the posts from last thread. :)

Intro post:
oqua wrote:Hey guys! At the end of the Manchester Day in the Life video, Dan and Phil play the keyboard and you can see a list of "rules."

The other day some friends of mine and I were trying to decipher these rules and we made some progress. I wanted to know if any of you can make out anything or have any input/corrections?

Here’s what we have so far. The blue parts we're pretty certain about, the purple part is more iffy:

In case you can't read what I wrote, it says:
THE RULES
[?]
1. Weekdays bed before 2am
don't get up later than 10.30am
2. Weekdays productive until 5pm
3. no breaks until the weekend
4. ____ to(?) ________ 1 _________ a week (??)
5. [?]
6. [?]

Dan Howell PLester
Here are closeup shots of the rules:

It also appears in two other videos:
Examples of Dan’s handwriting:

(much like the ancient temple boss in FFVII)

(like the ministry of magic)

Note that he does his f's weird. This says "far": Image

From the video Gnosia posted:

oqua wrote:
daphenaxa wrote:i think point 5 finishes by "to(?) closet and laundry"
point 6 first line seems to finish by "vs da life" or at least last word is "life" I think
I swear #5 looks like it ends with Saturday? I do think laundry could appear in there at least once, maybe twice.

And for closet...I like it, but I don't think the tall thing at the end is a t. His t's tend to be the same height as his other letters, not taller. (example: Image)

But it might say "closet)" or "closet]"? Or maybe "close)"? ("close" example: Image) Or I also like "is closed"

Could Rule 5 start with "Being"?

For the first line of Rule 6, I don't think it ends with "life." He does his f's really weird. They look like loopy j's. Here are examples of him writing "life":
Image Image Image

I think it looks like it says "to do later" maybe? The last word seems kind of distorted. Or bluebox-away's suggestion of "to do b/c" is interesting.

Also, I like the idea that he's using slashes sometimes. He does seem to like slashes:
Post about possible parentheses:
oqua wrote:Also, for the first line of Rule 5: I think that in the picture below, it's quite clear that parentheses are involved?

"______ ________ ___ _______y (_____y to close)"

?

EDIT: This is driving me crazy. I half want to tweet Dan begging him for info on what they say. At least, like, a hint. :rofl:
Trashqueen's edit:
trashqueen wrote:ohhhh i'm pretty sure that does say 'go to radio 1'
i think the word before the parenthesis might be sunday?

also no idea if this makes it better or worse but i played around w photoshop for a bit and got this
maybe comparing both versions might help idk

i have like 51456416 things i need to do for college but figuring this out became my number one priority somehow, i hate u guys

EDIT: maybe go to radio 1 once a week?
that doesn't look like once at all but i want to believe they didn't write like a boss okay
daichii wrote:The rules for going to bed is the one that makes me feel more like
No, no they could not. :D

we need one of those forensic programs that sharpen the shit out of blurry pictures. :sideeye:
does no one work /know someone who works for the FBI? i am disappointed in you all :tsk:
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert

Gnosia wrote:Could 4 be: 'warm up for Radio 1 once a week?'

Ooh, I like the idea that it's a tiny word written underneath. Since it doesn't really look like the dark part underneath is totally connected to the rest of the letter.

My only concern with the idea that it's "Warm up for Radio 1" is that "The Rules" show up in a lot of videos from mid-late 2012. How long were they prepping for their Sunday show? It started January 2013.

Tbh I'm kind of iffy about the "Radio 1," but I just realized it's written on this whiteboard from the 2011 video Gnosia posted:

(Edit: Is the above whiteboard a to-do list? Are the entries written under the relevant person, i.e. Phil takes care of finances, pay the energy bill, etc.??)
busy being happy~
swofro
angel bean

Inspiring spider for the thread name is probably going to be my only major contribution towards IDB. Haha. Obligatory shout out to bluebox-away too, of course.

Thank you for the votes.
Love is forever
daphenaxa
blobfish

oqua wrote:

Ooh, I like the idea that it's a tiny word written underneath. Since it doesn't really look like the dark part underneath is totally connected to the rest of the letter.

My only concern with the idea that it's "Warm up for Radio 1" is that "The Rules" show up in a lot of videos from mid-late 2012. How long were they prepping for their Sunday show? It started January 2013.

Tbh I'm kind of iffy about the "Radio 1," but I just realized it's written on this whiteboard from the 2011 video Gnosia posted:

(Edit: Is the above whiteboard a to-do list? Are the entries written under the relevant person, i.e. Phil takes care of finances, pay the energy bill, etc.??)
in fact before they did the weekly radio show, they did one offs shows for BBCR1 like the 2 hours Christmas specials or the guide to internet dating I think, so that's why it is on their whiteboard well before the weekly radio show.
But on the rules doc, I am not sure it says radio 1. And what would warm up for radio 1 mean? Is it a correct sentence to use when talking about rehearsing for ex?

Also yeah I think the entries under the person are the task they each have to do.
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert

daphenaxa wrote:
oqua wrote:

in fact before they did the weekly radio show, they did one offs shows for BBCR1 like the 2 hours Christmas specials or the guide to internet dating I think, so that's why it is on their whiteboard well before the weekly radio show.
But on the rules doc, I am not sure it says radio 1. And what would warm up for radio 1 mean? Is it a correct sentence to use when talking about rehearsing for ex?

Also yeah I think the entries under the person are the task they each have to do.
Yeah, I don't think it makes much sense either.

New thought: Maybe it says "get to ______ 1 _____ a _____"? Like, some kind of treat? Like, idk, "get to have 1 x a week/month"? Tbh I'm starting to think it says "month."
busy being happy~
bluebox-away
woodland creature

spider wrote:My thread title got chosen. This is a dream come true. This is my legacy. I'd like to thank the Academy and the real MVP bluebox-away without whom none of this would have been possible as well as swofro who inspired the title suggestion. I'd also like to thank the good people of In Depth Bants who voted for it and had the good sense to keep their mouths shut about its namesake. What an honor this is. What a privilege.

oqua wrote:Image

stella2000 wrote:Sorry if this was already posted!! But I'm so happy.
I've been wanting this for years!
Have a wander over to the last thread starting at page 19 and enjoy the ride. It was a wild one.
Times like this I wish we had a thanks button, but spider for recording and being my partner in crime sharing, it was a wild ride indeed :lol:
Also I mean this is by no means FBI software but would something like this help with The Rules? https://www.blurity.com
06/04/2016 - I found The Weakest Link :ninja:
Gif credit: IckleMissMayhem
pixlexia
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

bluebox-away wrote: Also I mean this is by no means FBI software but would something like this help with The Rules? https://www.blurity.com
Well, I tried to download it and play around with it. This is the best I got, which isn't much better, but it does ever so slightly sharpen up a few spots? Kind of? A little? (Though the unregistered watermark kind of takes it away again)

I should stop downloading programs I know nothing about lol
(insert a funny quote from the forum here)
oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert

pixlexia wrote:
bluebox-away wrote: Also I mean this is by no means FBI software but would something like this help with The Rules? https://www.blurity.com
Well, I tried to download it and play around with it. This is the best I got, which isn't much better, but it does ever so slightly sharpen up a few spots? Kind of? A little? (Though the unregistered watermark kind of takes it away again)

Hmm. When I looked at the sharpened version these were my first thoughts:
  • First word of Rule 6: "Weekend"? After that it kind of looks like "days" in quotes?
  • I'm pretty sure the first words of Rule 4 are "get to"
  • End of first line of Rule 5: "to do lots"?
  • Third word of Rule 6: "we"?
Also, as a random side note: I feel like the last part should be some kind of concluding remark, maybe even a statement like "We the undersigned hereby vow to follow these rules for all time" or something gimmicky like that. Thoughts?
busy being happy~
majitzu
angel bean

oqua wrote:
pixlexia wrote:

• First word of Rule 6: "Weekend"? After that it kind of looks like "days" in quotes?

Also, as a random side note: I feel like the last part should be some kind of concluding remark, maybe even a statement like "We the undersigned hereby vow to follow these rules for all time" or something gimmicky like that. Thoughts?
I love your signature... Rule 4
Last edited by majitzu on Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
momo
crusty sponge

omg the new thread name is gold i can't
littlephan
smol bean

oqua wrote:
pixlexia wrote:

I'm like 80% sure rule #5 has something to do with laundry. I think you are right about rule #6, that's why they signed their names. They are most likely agreeing/promising to follow the rules. It will be kind of weird if it was just all rules and just their signatures at the bottom.
This is domestic AF. I love this
Kathrynxjane
janice from the shop
Pronouns: She/Her

I missed 6 pages by going to sleep last night but I am loving the new name.

1) Vegas: makes sense for Dan to want to spend his birthday in Vegas (who wouldn't tbh). They had 4 days between shows from 10th to 14th and Vegas is on the 12th Now. So they will basically have the afternoon/night off for Dan's birthday. Gosh I hope we have a Vegas video of some kind. Even if it just a small DINI video.

2) TWL. Now that we know that deppy know about it being found, I would love Phil to do a reaction video. It would be great, we all loved it. Maybe he hasn't got a copy/didn't know where to find one so that is why he never really talks about it. It would be an easy video to even record on the tour bus.

3) The Rules. Gosh Dan has worse hand writing than me. I am surprised you can decipher anything from that because just looking at it hurts my eyes. Sorry can't be much help there!
"You can't just pull it out and put it in without a plan." Dan Howell 2015
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

alittledizzy wrote:
bluebox-away wrote:Is the last word on 5 laundry? It's really hard to make out :?
Also, they've added another date to TATINOF, we still want the real Vegas video Dan! :tsk:
Okay I'm kinda sad they nixed my little suspicion that they were gonna try and sneak off for Dan's birthday, but on the other hand - going back to Vegas, interesting. It really will be hilarious if that's where they film the DITL.
Oh why did they add Vegas so late, I would have totally gone to that rather than NYC. Love how they've put the date around Dans birthday. They NEED to film a DITL there, I hope the phandom have been asking for it actually
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert

This is a very off-topic post, but there are two things I'd like to mention:

1) I made a tumblr for my typed-up versions Deppy's formspring/tumblr stuff (now +screenshots!):

Some of you may remember that back on another website whose name I've forgotten, I posted typed-up versions of all of Dan's tumblr answers (customerservicedepartment & some danisnotonfire), and all of Dan and Phil's saved formspring answers. Those will be re-posted on this site at some point, but I wanted to share with everyone that I made a tumblr which contains the typed-up posts PLUS screenshots of the posts. So if you ever want to find a certain image and you remember a key word or phrase, you can use it for that. Or you can just read through the tumblr for the entertainment value.

Link: http://deppyarchive.tumblr.com/

2) I added some new emoticons:
Firstly, is it just me, or does always seem passive-agressive af? Lol.
Just in case, I added these:

And then some random ones:
:confused:

And then because I'm feeling very sappy:
busy being happy~
DryCereal
koi pond

oqua wrote:This is a very off-topic post, but there are two things I'd like to mention:

1) I made a tumblr for my typed-up versions Deppy's formspring/tumblr stuff (now +screenshots!):

Some of you may remember that back on another website whose name I've forgotten, I posted typed-up versions of all of Dan's tumblr answers (customerservicedepartment & some danisnotonfire), and all of Dan and Phil's saved formspring answers. Those will be re-posted on this site at some point, but I wanted to share with everyone that I made a tumblr which contains the typed-up posts PLUS screenshots of the posts. So if you ever want to find a certain image and you remember a key word or phrase, you can use it for that. Or you can just read through the tumblr for the entertainment value.

Link: http://deppyarchive.tumblr.com/

2) I added some new emoticons:
Firstly, is it just me, or does always seem passive-agressive af? Lol.
Just in case, I added these:

And then some random ones:
:confused:

And then because I'm feeling very sappy:
- that is all.
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
internetakeover
lady door
Pronouns: they/them

My writing is uh, rather similar to Dan's don't judge me, and I'd suggest that the second line of 5 actually says 'and Tuesday'? In the pic below you can really see the 'T'. I think 5 might read '_____ ___ on Sunday (____ to close) and Tuesday'? I can see 'Being' as the first word, but wouldn't be 100% sure of it, and 6 could start with 'Who'?
The 'to close)' part at least seems pretty clear from the image below, and from that it also looks like the end of the first line of 6 ends with ' to do lots'? You can see him joining an 's' like that in the 2nd pic under the spoiler. also the end of 4 looks like a 'th', supporting that it might be 'month' rather than 'week'.
Everything is becoming less and less clear the more I stare though, so I'm gonna have to submit now before I talk myself out of it all.

also a belated thank you and congratulations to bluebox-away and spider for their work finding TWL and sharing it, that's absolutely brilliant, well done!!