Daniel & Phil Part 44: This isn't a forever home

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
pluginbaby
smol bean

This is a little bit irrelevant but #notmydan is trending on Twitter right now, and I find that hilarious. Daniel Howell is as well. Just shows you how large this fanbase is, really.
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

I was trying to figure out why there was boy bread and girl bread being burned in the fire in his header pic, and it took me entirely too long to realise that they are supposed to be gender rolls. At least I'm assuming that's what they are.
cherrybomb3
cheeky #spon

MaggieW wrote:We were right? Again? This is getting scary

"Daniel" feels kind of weird to me, I always forgot that his name is not actually Dan hahah

I also don't know what to think about this video?? It was... alright I guess. Just an announcement. And I don't understand why is he so mad after the capitalisation of his username?? Dan, chill a bit
bc it looks ugly as heck and aesthetically repulsive
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

I hope changing the usernames gives him a boost of confidence. It means literally nothing for me - new tumblr layout will be cool but I'm not holding my breath on when he'll get around to that. I feel like that eyesore will be the last remaining vestige of dinof.

I also really hope this isn't our official Dan video for the month of May, because it was definitely something he could have put into a tweet and saved a lot of hype. (Now watch it get like 4 million views bc of the clickbait-esque title, though.)
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Good to hear the explanation, cute that he still did some sketchy representations of us all. That placenta image was hella graphic, but yes, lots of old stuff and misspellings of the name. I'll miss the ending noise and flame graphic most, I think. I never thought they'd actually change pinof, thank goodness they're not. Daniel and Phil really doesn't have the ring to it, though I get what he says about being reminded of kids at school, that stuff can really stick with you.
malday
emo goose

is it just me or have they stopped linking the gaming channel at the end of their videos

I have no opinion on the video, whatever floats his boat.
auri
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: they/them

pilotlight wrote:I was trying to figure out why there was boy bread and girl bread being burned in the fire in his header pic, and it took me entirely too long to realise that they are supposed to be gender rolls. At least I'm assuming that's what they are.
gender roles are the worst kind of bread makes me super happy tho, i am enjoying Dan's (and Phil's) non-gender specific things and the emphasis they use.
lurker
janice from the shop

alittledizzy wrote:I hope changing the usernames gives him a boost of confidence. It means literally nothing for me - new tumblr layout will be cool but I'm not holding my breath on when he'll get around to that.
that sums up my feelings pretty well. the part in the video where he said something along the lines of how much it makes him cringe to even log in to youtube gives reason to be optimistic about him being more confident about uploading now.
flarequake wrote:I'll miss the ending noise and flame graphic most, I think.
same! i was actually happy for 0.5 seconds when it still showed up, only for my hopes to be crushed immediately. now i have a horrifying vision of a connorfranta-esque cursive "Daniel Howell" showing up to ukulele music and whistling. but i'm also looking forward to seeing what he comes up with, and if maybe the inception noise will stay at least.
pilotlight wrote:I was trying to figure out why there was boy bread and girl bread being burned in the fire in his header pic, and it took me entirely too long to realise that they are supposed to be gender rolls. At least I'm assuming that's what they are.
ohhh i think you're right! that's cool. i'm glad to see a whisk burning too. what's the black shape in the front though?
cherrybomb3 wrote:bc it looks ugly as heck and aesthetically repulsive
hi dan
thank's you were great
cherrybomb3
cheeky #spon

lurker wrote:
cherrybomb3 wrote:bc it looks ugly as heck and aesthetically repulsive
hi dan

big if true

no but seriously its a valid reason
/fɪl lɛstɚ/
sad dimple

I like "Daniel Howell" but I will say I have one qualm with it. When you put it near "AmazingPhil" it just looks wrong.

danisnotonfire & AmazingPhil was aesthetically pleasing but Daniel Howell & AmazingPhil just looks... not good. Oh well.
I am always on Phil Lester's side
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

sans wrote:
/fɪl lɛstɚ/ wrote:
lishachi wrote:
pluginbaby wrote:Update: he's finally changing his Tumblr theme. This is not a drill!
Oh my god it's finally happening? Jesus christ. There is hope.
How do we know he's changing the theme? It looks the same for me
He twitted it.
He's been promising this for at least 2 years. I'll wait until it's actually done.

I enjoyed the start of the video. I'm also a bit sad his username on Twitter will be changing (per his response to someone), because don't people lose the connection to him in their twitter replies? Am I making that up?

I also just like a smooth branding game and the concept that youtube will be danisnotonfire, while twitter is danhowell or danielhowell and tumblr is danielhowell and honestly? What a mess. Gross.

Congrats on growing up though, Dan! I get it. It must feel good.
thephandommenace
procrastinator

His comments at the end about wanting to put himself out there and 'be more authentic' caught my attention. It came straight after him saying nothing would actually change on in his channel, but with the purposeful dropping of his danisnotonfire branding (not just the cringe stuff but maybe including his dinof persona in TABINOF and TATINOF) it made me wonder if he'd also chosen to ditch his branding as the 'dark' one of Dan and Phil and embrace more of his Wholesome Howellness, or show a bit more of his soft side and that he's multifaceted rather than just a caricature. And maybe make more adult content. (Not that kind. ) God forbid he ever became like the Gleamers but I would love more light hearted, carefree content such as StoryTime.

The vid was boring though. Next.
shoe
Moderator Emeritus

The video wasn't really any new information, but I liked the sketches at the beginning. A nice farewell to the old apartment. He must have filmed the whole thing before he left, but only finished editing it after changing the usernames on his accounts so that he could edit those screenshots it. That would explain the delay between the username changes and the upload time.
fondsmiles wrote:maybe this is why he's stuck doing nothing right now
crisis incoming... 3...2..
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

/fɪl lɛstɚ/ wrote:I like "Daniel Howell" but I will say I have one qualm with it. When you put it near "AmazingPhil" it just looks wrong.

danisnotonfire & AmazingPhil was aesthetically pleasing but Daniel Howell & AmazingPhil just looks... not good. Oh well.
I don't see Phil having a particular drive to disassociate from AmazingPhil but I wouldn't be surprised to see it listed more and more as "Dan/Daniel Howell and Phil Lester" and the usernames drop from both for professional purposes. Phil's had his twitter name as Phil Lester for a while now, after all.
MaggieW
glabella

I love the gender rolls/roles burning in his new header.

Oh, and Dan said on twitter that his side channel (danisnotinteresting) will stay the same. (don't know if someone posted that already)
Bekah
tol bean

Is it just me or does Phil and Daniel sounds better than Daniel and Phil?
human
dan hand trash

Well he already owns @danhowell on twitter but @danielhowell is someone else entirely. It would bother me not having the same username everywhere.

On Instagram, he's stuck because danhowell, danielhowell and dhowell are all taken and in use lol.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

If the Daniel in the thread titles is here to stay then that means that asshole just robbed us of precious characters for hilarious names
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
jesp
why bother

Catallena wrote:If the Daniel in the thread titles is here to stay then that means that asshole just robbed us of precious characters for hilarious names
Don't worry, it's just for this thread.
cherrybomb3
cheeky #spon

Catallena wrote:If the Daniel in the thread titles is here to stay then that means that asshole just robbed us of precious characters for hilarious names

mate the shade holy smokes i feel personally victimised
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

jesp wrote:
The last week have been a blessing for the phanieldom. lmfao thank you for this, jesp.
saffarinda
truth bomb

Bekah wrote:Is it just me or does Phil and Daniel sounds better than Daniel and Phil?
It actually kinda does? That's weird because the two D's being next to each other is what made it so odd. I don't think people are going to stop calling them "Dan and Phil though"

[offtopic]My friends who only casually watch Dan and Phil started messaging me as soon as they'd watched the video - most of them are chill but one of them really doesn't like the new name. They preferred the quirkiness of the danisnotonfire username. None of my friends had seen any of the twitter or youtube changes because they're not invested. It's always interesting how casual viewers and people outside of the phandom interpret their videos and decisions.[/offtopic]
25/04/2017 - #blessed
autumnhearth
senpai

lurker wrote:that was... a video
i left the idb tab open to post my opinions after it but...i don't have any strong feelings...it was literally just the announcement...suitably executed...it's okay...i think it's understandable...i'm at peace and hope that he's happy with the name change
I was also going to say I am at peace (umm why is the tea/coffee mug called 'daddy'?!?! I am no longer at peace!!!) No, but I think it was a well explained decision and I hope people don't razz him about it for too long, but by all means have some fun now. I'm proud of him.

Very relieved that if will still be Games and PINOF "Sequels to the origin story" aww, my ovaries 'non-gender specific flaps'... might have exploded. (Nope, that doesn't sound right.)

I've been checking in here from time to time today, but didn't have time to respond. I love alittledizzy's gender conforming post. Definitely sending that to my husband to read, as gender roles (and defying them) is a topic near and dear to our hearts and he recently expressed some odd opinions about Dan and Phil's relationship roles that I hope this will balance out in his incomplete picture of them.

I have great sympathy for Dan's combination of perfectionism and anxiety, but also last year (and the year before) was really freaking busy for him. Looking forward to seeing his new space tomorrow. I hope the chat isn't intolerable (not that I ever see it, so I guess I just hope his reactions are chill).
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

jesp wrote:
Yay Daniel's power can only reach so far.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
autumnhearth
senpai

/fɪl lɛstɚ/ wrote:I like "Daniel Howell" but I will say I have one qualm with it. When you put it near "AmazingPhil" it just looks wrong.

Personally I disagree on this point. They are both capitalized now, which looks better to me.

Aww I kinda want him to change his side channel name to 'Wholesome Howell' now

Phil and Daniel is nice but they will always be

Phanieldom Phaniel is my new OTP