Daniel & Phil Part 44: This isn't a forever home

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
AmazingOCD
glabella
Pronouns: she/her

'danisnotonfire' is No.1 on Tumblr atm
...yeah. Old habits die hard, I guess

(still and will be in shock that it's Daniel, not Dan for possibly weeks)
autumnhearth wrote:[
Aww I kinda want him to change his side channel name to 'Wholesome Howell' now

Phil and Daniel is nice but they will always be

Phanieldom Phaniel is my new OTP
Phaniel will get confused with Janiel though? NO IT WILL AND SHALL ALWAYS BE PHAN
And ofc its gotta be Dan and Phil!

Well done mods for changing things around here so quickly!
It's a good thing to be strange. Normalness leads to sadness - Phil Lester
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

i loved that video! i know it was just a rebranding video but surprisingly it's one of my faves he's done? i say that about like every video dan and phil do omg. the first part in his video had me cracking up omg. tbh i still buy maltesers. partly bc dan really likes them, but also bc i find them very tasty whoops. in fact i just had maltesers yesterday lmao. oh well.

im glad that dan is rebranding though. he seems to be changing into a more positive person and like he seems more happy with himself. thats what i want for him

one of my friends who watches dan and phil (but isnt like, obsessed), asked if i thought phil would rebrand and i said probably not, bc phil i believe has sort of stayed the same since he started, meanwhile dan has undergone a..dramatic, but good, change since he started youtube, if that makes sense.

yeah. uh. tldr; i'm happy for dan. if this is what will give him more confidence to be himself, then im glad! :D
:transheart:
CallMeAyana
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: Phan Trash

Since we've established that people here on IDB are detectives and psychics... When will be the next turning point for the Phandom and Deppy? Like... I'm wondering what could happen now and all I can think about is 5 years from now, they'll finally buy that house with a koi pond and adopt kids and buy a dog because their lives are too intertwined at this point that I can't think of a future where they'll go their seperate ways.
...I will miss the Dan Is Not On Fire brand though. I'm also glad that they'll keep PINOF that way.
chiccola
sofa crease

autumnhearth wrote: I was also going to say I am at peace (umm why is the tea/coffee mug called 'daddy'?!?! I am no longer at peace!!!)
I'm guessing it's probably this
llion
living flop

autumnhearth wrote:
/fɪl lɛstɚ/ wrote:I like "Daniel Howell" but I will say I have one qualm with it. When you put it near "AmazingPhil" it just looks wrong.

danisnotonfire & AmazingPhil was aesthetically pleasing but Daniel Howell & AmazingPhil just looks... not good. Oh well.
Personally I disagree on this point. They are both capitalized now, which looks better to me.

Aww I kinda want him to change his side channel name to 'Wholesome Howell' now

Phil and Daniel is nice but they will always be

Phanieldom Phaniel is my new OTP
same! they're also both two words. just looks better.

he really should!! that'd be adorable. and wholesome.

phaniel forever

i'm actually pretty irritated with #notmydan, some of it is funny but i'd rather show him support in this instance. outside of that, however, i'm enjoying twitter. for example:
i yelled.
art credit: koreinkorein (thank you!)
anime_is_not_cool
living flop

is everyone just gonna ignore the fact that cherrybomb3 is either actually Dan or doing really good job pretending to be? not even joking, i thought that was just a funny joke but i couldnt resist the urge to search his posts and some of the stuff was REALLY or is it just an accepted and ed fact here?

can you tell im bored but also hi dan
xaephan
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Well, everyone's already said variations on my feelings, but Imma blab a bit anyway. I wasn't surprised this was coming, but the video is...eeeh. I'm surprised that he's doing Daniel and not just Dan! Other than dinof, I think 'Dan Howell' is more well-known professionally than 'Daniel Howell', so I'm not sure why he went for that one, even if it sounds more mature or whatever (maybe it's just me, but Dan doesn't exactly sound less formal than Daniel?). I'm not really feeling his reasons for it either.

RIP all those branding with -nof tacked onto the end, new fans are going to be confused for a hot second.

The sketch at the beginning was okay, and the whole thing definitely had that good ol' Howell Condensation going for it. :sideeye: for the dig at Phil, him and his pretentious #content threshold both.

Yay for changing his twitter icon and tumblr theme, at least (though the tumblr thing will take him ages if he ever actually does it...). I hope this rebrand makes him more comfortable though!

over it already
if my heart was a compass you'd be north
previously myllakka
llion
living flop

anime_is_not_cool wrote:is everyone just gonna ignore the fact that cherrybomb3 is either actually Dan or doing really good job pretending to be? not even joking, i thought that was just a funny joke but i couldnt resist the urge to search his posts and some of the stuff was REALLY or is it just an accepted and ed fact here?

i did the same thing! they're ambiguous enough about "joking" about it it's either a massive troll, or dan, being a massive troll. reverse psychology
art credit: koreinkorein (thank you!)
MaggieW
glabella

llion wrote:
i'm actually pretty irritated with #notmydan, some of it is funny but i'd rather show him support in this instance. outside of that, however, i'm enjoying twitter. for example:
i yelled.

I want death.
fancybum
senpai

Maybe he chose to go with Daniel to be more formal and put some more distance between himself and viewers going forward (or it's just because that's actually his name and it literally does not make one whit of difference, but if people really want to worry about it then I hope that gives you something more to think about).

Whatever, I'm prepared for the liveshow to be way more entertaining than this video was. Whatever his mood happens to be. All I really need or want is a piano haul tbh.

Also, look, some peer support:
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
pilotlight
#relatable

anime_is_not_cool wrote:is everyone just gonna ignore the fact that cherrybomb3 is either actually Dan or doing really good job pretending to be? not even joking, i thought that was just a funny joke but i couldnt resist the urge to search his posts and some of the stuff was REALLY or is it just an accepted and ed fact here?

Not sure which is more unlikely, Dan joining IDB and posting or Dan having this many male fans in one place.
pastelspectre
stress mushroom

i mean its certainly possible dan couldve joined and disguised himself as a phandom member.. its unlikely but not impossible, right? cherrybomb3 got me like
:transheart:
starlight-still
truth bomb

llion wrote:

i did the same thing! they're ambiguous enough about "joking" about it it's either a massive troll, or dan, being a massive troll. reverse psychology
See I'm over here like

........'cause..........that cherry fella's a very convincing facsimile of a certain wispy-haired Londoner who just moved into the shimmering moon palace duplex of his dreams with his best bro-pal 4 eva amirite

But imma play it cool and it like the rest of y'all ;)
shoe
Moderator Emeritus
Pronouns: they/them

fancybum wrote:Maybe he chose to go with Daniel to be more formal and put some more distance between himself and viewers going forward (or it's just because that's actually his name and it literally does not make one whit of difference, but if people really want to worry about it then I hope that gives you something more to think about).
Dan gave two reasons for using Daniel in the video: associations with past bullying, and the full name just "seeming cooler"
1. Everyone at school used to refer to me as Dan Howell, which a part of me will always associate with an impending football, or fist, or cutting verbal insults that I still lay awake at night thinking about to this day.
2. It is technically my name, and I think it just sounds cooler. You’know, Daniel Radcliffe, Daniel Craig… I’ll never be cool.
But you know, you can call me Dan whenever you like, you know, we’re informal like that, you and me ;) (I’m making this weird now, aren’t I? ok I’ll stop.)
malday
emo goose

fancybum wrote:
Also, look, some peer support:
and some friend support:
Ablissa
pastel persona

Like most of you here, I'm quite indifferent to this change. I see people literally freaking out over it on tumblr though, but to me, it doesn't mean anything. Dan(iel) has been distancing himself from his old branding for years now, this is just one more step in that direction. If this makes him happy - good for him and I'm happy too.
The only surprise for me was him using Daniel instead of Dan, that will take some time getting used to. Doesn't everyone call him Dan?

Two things I'm curious about:
- Will Phil be changing anything too? One reason I'm not bothered by Dan's "rebranding" is that his main brand by now is Dan and Phil, not his solo content. I'm 100% sure he won't drift away from that, but in that case, it would make sense for Phil to also change his names.

- Is Phil going to start calling him Daniel now when he refers to him?

Overall, nothing groundbreaking, but it was nice to get a video anyway
fancybum
senpai

shoe wrote:
fancybum wrote:Maybe he chose to go with Daniel to be more formal and put some more distance between himself and viewers going forward (or it's just because that's actually his name and it literally does not make one whit of difference, but if people really want to worry about it then I hope that gives you something more to think about).
Dan gave two reasons for using Daniel in the video: associations with past bullying, and the full name just "seeming cooler"
1. Everyone at school used to refer to me as Dan Howell, which a part of me will always associate with an impending football, or fist, or cutting verbal insults that I still lay awake at night thinking about to this day.
2. It is technically my name, and I think it just sounds cooler. You’know, Daniel Radcliffe, Daniel Craig… I’ll never be cool.
But you know, you can call me Dan whenever you like, you know, we’re informal like that, you and me ;) (I’m making this weird now, aren’t I? ok I’ll stop.)
I did watch the video, that was me being a troll over people thinking a name change will lead to something drastic like pinof being renamed or him expecting anybody to only call him Daniel from now on. Is anybody actually typing 'danisnotonfire' every single time into YT to watch his stuff? What does the name ultimately mean in practice? He'll always be known by it anyway, so it doesn't matter what the URL is anymore (just now, potentially, when dumb non-internet people are looking into him, they'll see his name and use that instead of dinof).

But on the other hand, he says a lot of things, and he doesn't say even more. So even if there were other reasons for choosing that name, he's not exactly going to share them unless they're viewer-friendly. But again. Only vaguely trolling with that idea, maybe.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
anime_is_not_cool
living flop

but ok, about the ##rebrand, im so happy for him!! ive always liked his full name and now that i see it next to his twitter pic, it fits a lot better than Dan. also relating to the reasons behind the change, im literally changing my surname bc it was used by mean people in school 5 yrs ago. so that can totally happen.

anyone else feeling kinda weird rn bc of the moving and this? deppy have been the familiar thing that never changes for the past few years for me, so this is nearly scary :D even tho ive been very annoyed by them hinting at things and dragging everything out, its actually pretty useful for people like me, who apparently need warnings.
autumnhearth
senpai

chiccola wrote:
autumnhearth wrote: I was also going to say I am at peace (umm why is the tea/coffee mug called 'daddy'?!?! I am no longer at peace!!!)
I'm guessing it's probably this
Ah, well spotted, thanks! The daddy kink is the one kink I truly can't stand (well besides violence, non-con, scat, etc. so I guess I should say of the popular kinks) I mean this in general, but particularly in fics. That said, I think the frequency of it being mentioned in their videos is normalizing it a bit for me. I've stopped cringing and started laughing. Uh oh.
llion wrote:
i yelled.
As a hashtag, I think it's funny and sums up the pseudo antagonist relationship between him and his fans, but I definitely want to be supportive myself.

Oh that is wonderful!

Goes off to read bomb3's posts...
sugar
eclipse shirt

personally think 'dan howell' sounds better because daniel and howell sound too similar for them to go next to each other for me. but it is his name!

not sure this kind of announcement warranted a video, he could have easily slipped it into the beginning of his next video and made less of a deal of it, but i guess this gives him another couple weeks until people expect a real main channel video.
sans
delia smith
Pronouns: him/they

My YouTube is not adapting so well to the change
Last edited by jesp on Thu May 04, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed image embedding
bluewho
truth bomb

I liked the video! It was pretty funny. I think he could have announced the change in some less dramatic manner, but we got a funny video out of it so....

I think the name 'Daniel' is lovely. I always wondered why he chose 'Dan' instead of 'Daniel' or 'Danny' which both sound really nice in my view.
/fɪl lɛstɚ/
sad dimple

bluewho, I'm obsessed with everything you've got going on here. The icon. The signature. It's all so perfect.
I am always on Phil Lester's side
tactigdsve
tol bean

Daniel Howell! that's so.... dorky. makes me think of a little boy with his cotton shirt tucked into his grey school shorts. white socks up to his knees. lil polished oxfords. freshly combed locks. he loves his dog, he loves the playground. and he loves.... justice. coming to a cinema near you this summer. no, i kid (and so is he, apparently!).

no, in all seriousness it's actually quite a nice name. does indeed sound professional. and if he feels more comfortable with it, that's all that matters really. and i don't mind that DINOF is a thing of the past, always glad to see someone purging the remainders of their random phase. can't say i don't feel a little bittersweet about it though!!
VengefulBlue
rainbow nerd

tactigdsve wrote:Daniel Howell! that's so.... dorky. makes me think of a little boy with his cotton shirt tucked into his grey school shorts. white socks up to his knees. lil polished oxfords. freshly combed locks. he loves his dog, he loves the playground. and he loves.... justice. coming to a cinema near you this summer. no, i kid (and so is he, apparently!).