Dan & Phil Part 49: Don't curl, quiff

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
SquishPhan
capita£ester
Pronouns: she/her

I really enjoyed watching that. :D
You could tell that Dan is good at it this game, Phil a bit less, but he did make a strong comeback.
I want them to do another one of these but then when they have their no hitting each other pact.
saffarinda
truth bomb

Dan was GLOWING in that video, or was it just me that saw that?

Phil's intimidating mii is v funny.

Did anyone else notice Dan about to say how it was like Phil making Speed references? I seriously do wonder how often he makes them.

Phil's lil furry mention, always funny. Especially when he's alluded in the past that he doesn't think furrys are bad (and them liking that pic on twitter).

The editing with the "rekt" and "rekt?" was vv amusing, I seriously do think their editing has improved so much in the past few months!

I only noticed when Phil mentioned it, but all I normally do is watch Phil's side. I guess I always want him to win, oops.

Dan looked so offended when that girl bashed into him and overtook him, it was hilarious. Especially the way he indignantly told Phil.

Phils "eugh" from coming 5th and Dan's fondness.

Their close proxemics ahh I'm

I was literally screaming for Phil to win at the end, seriously I just like Phil winning (must be something about him being an underdog).

Good vid overall, some solid bants.
Last edited by saffarinda on Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
25/04/2017 - #blessed
Whommel
sofa crease
Pronouns: They/them

Wonderful video, this is the kind of content from them that I love the most. Lots of great innuendos and fun banter. Very re-watchable for me.
fondsmiles
phabergé

awwww cute video :) nice bants and great comments and they're leaning into each other and good gameplay too!

I am so happy that they actually took a game seriously, and listened to the comments about it!! it felt a bit like getting a glimpse into what they're usually like playing, and that was wonderful (even though it's still clear that they hyped it up for the channel).

the moment with the eyelash was so precious. they acted so awkward about it, but it made my heart so warm, because they're still not quite used to this softness displayed on camera and they didn't know what to say and what to do but they STILL chose to keep the moment in, and have it in front of the camera in the first place. i am proud of them, honestly, i am.
[x]
[x]
Anonymousse
flower crown
Pronouns: Any

Hi

This pretty much was a perfect DAPG video - their dynamic works so well with Mario Kart and especially when their roles are both friends and foes.

So much banter, innuendos, Shells up ya where Dan?

6:53 Is probably one of the most beautiful sounds I've ever heard.

This video was just perfection after a bad day!

But who the fuck am I kidding? I'm mostly just the rotting banana peel at the bottom of the phan trash can who genuinely gets excited over the thought of them snuggling in bed. Idgaf let a bitch live
- Manged

onetruetrash
blobfish

bookfiend wrote:Hi Everybody,

This is my first time posting but I'm a long time lurker. I'm just really happy to have found a site with such fascinating and well thought out insight into one of my favourite topics
I've been a fan since about 2011, left for a while in 2013, came back around 2015 as a casual and jumped headfirst into trashcan at the end of last year (Curse monster pops in all it's glory!).
Anyway, it's nice to meet you all.
:D
My de-lurking reason is because well... I admit that their past with the BBC is something that I find really interesting and couldn't resist speaking up about.

The BBC has lost many shows because of money in the last year. (I think blackdenim mentioned earlier about the Great British Bake off moving to ITV1 and the Voice.)
But, they've also lost a lot of live sporting events Football, Formula 1, the Olympics, Golf etc. I guess a world where online streaming sites are becoming more and more popular (especially with younger audiences) and their stubborn refusal to take up ad revenue may be cutting into their finances more than people realise.

Also, I don't know if I'm completely mistaken here and this is pure speculation. But I do find it interesting how Dan and Phil are happier and less worried about showing off how close they really are now. Especially since they no longer rely on the BBC for a paycheck.....

They've been more like 2009 in terms of couple like behaviour then they have been since what 2010? 2011?

I do think it was definitely a combination money, time and lack of control over their content that caused deppy and the BBC to part ways. And I'm 100% positive that if deppy is real that the BBC don't know about it given how private they are.

But, I do find this change in branding/relationship on screen and the correlation with them no longer being hired by of one of the largest broadcasting companies in the world interesting. Perhaps it's a big factor in why they chose now after all these years?

Sorry this got a lot longer than I originally intended, but I've been thinking about this for a while. All thoughts (including counter-arguments) are welcome. :)
:welcome:

You bring up a good point! Maybe Dan and Phil felt more restricted by the BBC. I'm pretty sure they left in May last year and since then, they seem more open and they just seem happier.

I was talking about how Dan was hiding his sexuality in 2012 a while ago and I think someone brought up how Dan and Phil were not financially stable and how they kinda needed the job at BBC and Dan and Phil might have thought that they needed to hide their sexualities, Dan especially, in order to make sure they got the job. Is there any reason to believe the BBC would be less likely to hire them if they had been more open about their sexualities, at least back in 2012? I'm American, so I don't know anything about the BBC, but is there any reason to believe that the BBC would make Dan and Phil feel restricted, not even necessarily about their sexualities, but anything in general? i dont think any of this made sense
fondsmiles
phabergé

don't tell your boyfriend's stories when you are asked about yourself, smh dan, this co-dependency
this!! is a good fact
[x]
[x]
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Such a cute video, I love it when you can really tell that they're genuinely enjoying a game they're playing. Loved the banter and them almost sitting on top of each other.
onetruetrash wrote:I was talking about how Dan was hiding his sexuality in 2012 a while ago and I think someone brought up how Dan and Phil were not financially stable and how they kinda needed the job at BBC and Dan and Phil might have thought that they needed to hide their sexualities, Dan especially, in order to make sure they got the job. Is there any reason to believe the BBC would be less likely to hire them if they had been more open about their sexualities, at least back in 2012? I'm American, so I don't know anything about the BBC, but is there any reason to believe that the BBC would make Dan and Phil feel restricted, not even necessarily about their sexualities, but anything in general? i dont think any of this made sense
D&P moving to London was entirely based on the hopes of getting that radio gig so they really did need it in the beginning but Radio 1 has a lot of gay DJ's like Scott Mills, Grimmy and Aled so their sexualities probably wouldn't have been an issue with them (though that doesn't mean that D&P couldn't have felt the need to hide it). They could've felt restricted in terms of creativity and stuff, but I do think the BBC gave them an awful lot of freedom for two complete rookies who barely knew how to work the panel in their first show. imo I don't think D&P were unhappy with what they were doing at the BBC, I think they were unhappy with how it prevented them from doing anything else because it took up so much time. Cutting back on air time allowed them to start a gaming channel and write a book while quitting made it possible to go on tour. Now they fly to Australia for a con and decide to holiday it up in Singapore or they stay in Florida with Phil's family for two weeks. They couldn't have done that with the radio show still going, so really the noticeable change in behavior is probably them being happy they have their freedom back after having been taken up by the BBC, the books and tour for so long.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
autumnhearth
senpai

Well that was very enjoyable. A bit slow and low energy in the beginning, but the bants were great and it was a most delightful conclusion. I get so excited when Phil is excited, it's contagious. The kiddo and I started clapping before they did.

I like Dan's low key whining he's been doing lately. Not loud, not high pitched, but seemingly natural 'I don't want to hurt you's' and 'you're supposed to protect me Phil' (I'm paraphrasing) also 'I'm banting on your behalf', 'that's what friends as for'. Very sweet. Phil's 'can you feel my breath on your neck?' was an interesting and welcome change to 'I'm right up your butt.'

Dan seems to like to emphasize how large Phil is, both with comments and making himself seem small next to him. They were quite a bit off center which only emphasized how close they were sitting. You've got plenty of room over there Dan. Not complaining, just umm maybe readjust the camera.

Shells up butts and furry comments oh my! But I was happy Phil went with his Mii. It looks like he was wearing a blue denim jacket. And well, we all know what a great look that is.
Last edited by autumnhearth on Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chunchun
phillion/danosaur <//3

That new dapg video, another surprise i didn't know I needed. lol I really feel like this was the closest we could get to a glimpse of how they usually play irl.

That being said I can't believe they play in a way where try to get 1st and 2nd together on all the races. and the no hitting pact dan mentions on twitter. are you actually serious. how gross is that. (and by gross i mean adorable. lmao )

there are too many cute little moments throughout the entire video that made me happy. Dan repeatedly saying for Phil to protect him. The silly little eyelash moment.. I'm glad they uploaded this, it's definitely going to get a rewatch! :D
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

Yes to the MK8 video, as a big fan of MK I love watching them play it. Shame they had to use Phil's log in though as they were always going to be good playing against people with 1000 (starter) points. I am so up for a repeat PhanPrix but I don't have a Switch so won't be able to take part. The last one they did was in May 2015 and have been waiting for them to start a new tournament! I wish they'd do one version on their WiiU (or Dan can give me his switch seeing as they don't need both ahem). Can't believe Phil likes Cloudtop Cruise as a track though, shame on you!

The no hitting pact is quite clever really, especially with Dan being so good. Means they can both wrack in the points when they come 1st and 2nd.
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
onetruetrash
blobfish

Catallena wrote:
onetruetrash wrote:I was talking about how Dan was hiding his sexuality in 2012 a while ago and I think someone brought up how Dan and Phil were not financially stable and how they kinda needed the job at BBC and Dan and Phil might have thought that they needed to hide their sexualities, Dan especially, in order to make sure they got the job. Is there any reason to believe the BBC would be less likely to hire them if they had been more open about their sexualities, at least back in 2012? I'm American, so I don't know anything about the BBC, but is there any reason to believe that the BBC would make Dan and Phil feel restricted, not even necessarily about their sexualities, but anything in general? i dont think any of this made sense
D&P moving to London was entirely based on the hopes of getting that radio gig so they really did need it in the beginning but Radio 1 has a lot of gay DJ's like Scott Mills, Grimmy and Aled so their sexualities probably wouldn't have been an issue with them (though that doesn't mean that D&P couldn't have felt the need to hide it). They could've felt restricted in terms of creativity and stuff, but I do think the BBC gave them an awful lot of freedom for two complete rookies who barely knew how to work the panel in their first show. imo I don't think D&P were unhappy with what they were doing at the BBC, I think they were unhappy with how it prevented them from doing anything else because it took up so much time. Cutting back on air time allowed them to start a gaming channel and write a book while quitting made it possible to go on tour. Now they fly to Australia for a con and decide to holiday it up in Singapore or they stay in Florida with Phil's family for two weeks. They couldn't have done that with the radio show still going, so really the noticeable change in behavior is probably them being happy they have their freedom back after having been taken up by the BBC, the books and tour for so long.
Thanks for the information about the gay DJs. I'm glad they stopped doing the radio show because we'd miss out on so much otherwise.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I love how Dan's favorite thing to do is tell us what Phil's favorite things are or what Phil's least favorite things are or what Phil is good at or what Phil isn't bad at or how Phil acts when certain things happen, because everything about Phil is interesting to Dan so of course to Dan it follows that everything about Phil would be the most interesting information to convey to us.

(And it is. Good job, Dan. You are spot on.)
droopy
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

I've been waiting for this video ever since Dan mentioned that they usually help each other win when playing online. I'm a terrible person, but there's nothing I love more than the feeling of true camaraderie that comes from throwing an entire game to side with your friend. I was a little disappointed they didn't have the "friendship pact" (as Dan put it in that lovely tweet) in this episode, but I think I got the content I wanted nonetheless.

Highlights! (this ended up being a bit long, oops.)
the first five seconds of editing tbh
Phil's eyes look really nice wtf???
"I love putting shells up my ass." - actually Dan Howell, June 2017
Wait, do they each have their own Switch console? what kind of unnecessary extraness
Dan as Inkling Girl cosplay when
important lightning-loving Lester info I didn't know I needed until today
at 4:36, Dan picked Phil's choice of course to help him get what he wanted, bless
4:42 Phandeer OT3
5:33 Dan indignantly informing Phil he's been "disrespected," like some posh Victorian-era woman in her late 50's telling her husband some chimney sweep dared to brush up against her on the street
8:41 why is Phil calling Dan "the snekiest snek" so heartwarming
9:12 I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS MEME TO HAVE A DEPPY SPIN FOR FOREVER, ALL MY DREAMS ARE ALIVE
Nin rhymes with Ben... coincidence? I think not
Dan "needing" Phil to protect him in second place just makes me
9:37 Phil: "I'm letting myself down, I'm letting my family down, I'm letting Yoshi down..." / Dan: "You're letting me down!" as though he doesn't already fit into one of those categories
The Eyelash Incident
9:52 more Dan needing Phil's protection
lash wish
Phil's kink... is eating.
14:17 "how could u do me like this"
Phil wins in the end; all is as it should be.
Overall solid gaming video, still wouldn't be opposed if they played again with the sole goal of destroying everyone else cooperatively. 10/10 will add it to the rewatch repertoire.
malday
emo goose

SquishPhan
capita£ester

malday wrote:
This was so freaking good. Best collab yet. Deppy plus a puppy is just so cute.
iihappydaysii
glabella

I don't yet know how to process the puppy video. I'm just so ready for them to get their own dog. God bless Cat. They were so precious and wholesome and soft in this. The content today has been beyond stellar. Wow.
chunchun
phillion/danosaur <//3

malday wrote:
oh my god i wasn't ready!!! the amount of GOOD content this week is too much, i'm so happy, this was the cutest video

their initial reactions with it too, oh god T_T thanks @ cat for this lol honestly
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

i honestly can't with dan looking at phil like he's saying the most hilarious thing anyone in the history of humanity has ever said every single time he's talking in cat's video

ahh everyone was so happy and soft i have nothing else to say but i'm happy
thank's you were great
thephandommenace
procrastinator
Pronouns: they/them

I'm not mad at all at the content this week.
I'm having a fucking soft cute heartwarming trashy euphemistic banterous blast
saffarinda
truth bomb

Allegations of what Cat's done to her dogs in the past aside, this was a cute af vid. Phils face when he first saw that puppy was a blessing, Dan treating Sigma so fondly (was that a soft "Hello" I caught at the beginning?), Sigma sniffing/nuzzling Dans curls was precious and Sigma crawling across Dan to Phil was so adorable. I got more of that soft "Dan and Phil helping/caring for/loving one another" content I crave.

Also, bless Phil for not knowing how to train doggos. I'm not surprised seeing as he's never owned a dog before. The way he gave Sigma the treat even though he didn't do the trick was just so hilarious for me though You have to be pretty strict with doggos when they're badly behaved/when you're teaching them. If you're not, they can easily manipulate you to get their own way. My dog was a rescue dog who'd been abused, we got him at 6 years old, they think - I believe he's verging on 14/15 years now? anyway, he was and still is pretty badly behaved. hates new people, other dogs, cars, bikes... anything really. very over protective of me and my family, but will be snappy with us regularly. He always growls and goes for us - as if he were going to bite - but then either puts his mouth around us gently or just attempts to get us to pet him. We still have to be strict with him to get him to learn. We were around some other dogs last week and he went for them, and I had to be strict and give him a smack on the nose and tell him off - I hate doing it, but you seriously have to be firm to teach them. I wonder if Phil would eventually learn to tell the puppy off if he had one, or if Dan would take the role of bad cop and Phil would be good cop.

I just realised I rambled about my dog, oops sorry.
25/04/2017 - #blessed
lishachi
eclipse shirt

4:12 when Phil feeds the dog without teaching him any tricks and Dans like 'did you just feed him?' and Cat replies 'I can already see what your dog would be like'

I'm pretty sure I would explode with happiness if they got a dog, this vid was too cute
:biflag: :blackheart:
weirdforces
smol bean

"Over the bridge!" My heart is bursting this was so cute
lilMango
morning quiff

*sees cat posted the video*
"Ugh Cat is using them for views again. I'll click on it just to see what it's about"
*watches video*
"THIS WAS SO FREAKING ADORABLE I THINK IM GOING TO DIE,, THANK YOU CAT AKA HOLY MOTHER ANGEL"
Phil Lester wrote:"I'll rub myself in a mango before I eat a mango."
"Make no judgements where you have no compassion." -Anne McCaffrey
xaephan
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Gaming vid:
Love it! Watching them play together is great, and so is their 'friendship pact', hah. It's always better to see them play a game they both like, and on an easy mode so they don't get frustrated. Phil using stuff on Dan near the end is wonderful.

Dan and his obsession with 'disrespect' and butt stuff coming on at full force

Cat's video:
NGL I'm side-eying her for getting another dog when she was begging people for money not that long ago + her history with her other dogs...but that aside, that video is too! precious!!! dnp with animals is always a good recipe, and this one was no exception. Dan's soft little hellos at the puppy near the begging are pure , really reminds me of the compilation on YT of Dan greeting cute things.

I can't wait for them to have a dog of their own. It'll a very spoiled beastie, but very, very loved. Imagine the millions of pictures they'll take (and probably not share, but hey).

Someone said in the last thread that if Cat was smart, she's made a video where she's behind the camera. Looks like whoever it was is psychic. Please make more predictions!
if my heart was a compass you'd be north
previously myllakka