Book Thread

pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

thank you everyone for the suggestions! i'll have to see if my dad's local library or something has it (or the library where i live in alabama, since i'll be going back there somewhat soon) but yessss

Moon, yes I agree with you! you're really making me wanna read the book again omg. it was so fucking good. i'd definitely recommend it to so many people.
:transheart:
Moon
spork
Pronouns: she/her

Skylar, now that I have thought about the book again, I want to reread it as well aah

Regarding the ask about lgbt books, does anyone know any good books with wlw ships? It's so hard to find YA books that cover the l of lgbt :c Or books that involve bi or pan girls.
A few weeks ago I finished a German book which was about two girls falling in love but, honestly, the book was so bad. There was slut shaming, romanticizing of cheating and a poor representation of lgbt in the book which made it unbearable for me. I really wanted to like it but I just couldn't.
That's the plan.
pastelspectre
stress mushroom

Moon, the Inside of Out by Jenn Marie Thorne is a good YA book that covers lgbt issues. It has a wide variety of lgbt issues though, not just the l part of it. I'd give it a read! i liked it a lot personally.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Moon wrote:
Regarding the ask about lgbt books, does anyone know any good books with wlw ships? It's so hard to find YA books that cover the l of lgbt :c Or books that involve bi or pan girls.
A few weeks ago I finished a German book which was about two girls falling in love but, honestly, the book was so bad. There was slut shaming, romanticizing of cheating and a poor representation of lgbt in the book which made it unbearable for me. I really wanted to like it but I just couldn't.
If you're up for a book written in the 80s, you can try

Oranges are not the only fruit by Jeanette Winterton

I read it years ago but it has stuck with me. I recently saw it on a list of best lgbtq+ books in the past 50 years or something. It's a bit grim, set in a poor part of England in the 1960s, but it's very much about a girl coming to terms with her sexuality in a difficult environment.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
twix
butt chair

Moon wrote:Skylar, now that I have thought about the book again, I want to reread it as well aah

YA
The Weaver by Emmi Itäranta-- spec fic with environmental themes; a young woman is drawn into a mystery when a stranger washes up on the beach with her name tattooed on her palm.
Bleeding Earth by Kaitlin Ward-- I am probably going to start reading this in a couple of days so idk if it's good, but two friends i trust both recc'd it to me.
Not strictly YA
Beyond the Pale by Elana Dykewomon-- historical fiction about two Jewish women who emigrate to the US from Russia in the early 20th century.
Ammonite by Nicola Griffith-- An anthropologist sets out to study a planet inhabited solely by women.
Planetfall by Emma Newman-- Strangers arrive at a space colony and threaten the colony's foundational myths.
The Salt Roads by Nalo Hopkinson-- Explores the lives and relationships of three women who are bound together through space and time.
Jam on the Vine by LaShonda Katrice Barnett-- historical fiction about a black lesbian journalist and anti-lynching activist who starts a printing press in 1919
The Warrior's Path by Catherine M Wilson-- high fantasy based on bronze age Europe
Fun Home by Alison Bechdel-- a graphic memoir about coming out, family, and literature.
Two or Three Things I Know for Sure by Dorothy Allison-- a short autobiographical piece, focusing on the choices the author must make as she narrates her life as a lesbian
Moon
spork

Thank you all for your recs!

Skylar, it definitely sounds like a good book! There can never be enough of lgbt topics in a book, haha! Though, is the main character really as dumb as some people on goodreads say? It might be just people overreacting but I have read some comments that say so.

LeftHandedism, I'm up for that, I will totally add it to my tbr pile! Thank you, the book sounds very interesting.

twix, that's a lot, thanks for making that list! There are some that caught my eye; The Weaver, Ammonite, and The Salt Roads. Looking forward to reading them!
That's the plan.
pastelspectre
stress mushroom

Moon, i personally did not find the main character dumb, moreso than..uneducated more than anything else. that's just how i felt though. you could feel differently. it's all based on the reader's opinion.
Moon
spork

Skylar, thanks for your opinion! It would be a bit hard to read such a book with a dumb main character but I have no problem with 'uneducated', I don't blame them. I hope I can get the book pretty soon.
That's the plan.
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

Re: wlw books, I only have one book to recommend because most of the few books depicting f/f relationships I've read were written in my native language. You might like Nina LaCour's latest novel We Are Okay. The story is about the MC grieving the death of her grandfather, but it becomes explicit that she is a wlw, and a precious relationship is touched on.

For anyone craving LGBTQ+ book recs I can recommend the LGBTQ Reads website. The site has extensive lists of all kinds of literature with queer themes and/or characters. They also have a Tumblr where you can ask them to rec specific types of books.
sparkle
blobfish

Does anyone know of any books that are like the following??

- Perks of Being a Wallflower
- YA books that don't involve a m/f romance (or that isn't wholly integral to the plot)
- horror books that are like Stephen King
- good non-fiction books that are actually accessible to the everyday person
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle:
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

sparkle wrote:Does anyone know of any books that are like the following??

- YA books that don't involve a m/f romance (or that isn't wholly integral to the plot)
Would you mind elaborating a bit? It would be easier to give you recommendations if you went into more detail. What is it about The Perks of Being a Wallflower that you like? What kind of non-fiction would you like to read?
sparkle
blobfish

somethingsketchy wrote:

Would you mind elaborating a bit? It would be easier to give you recommendations if you went into more detail. What is it about The Perks of Being a Wallflower that you like? What kind of non-fiction would you like to read?
Yeah :)

Perks of Being a Wallflower - I just like the introspection? Anything that is quite ruminating and brooding I like. I think I just liked how much I got into his head?

Non-fiction - anything on North Korea I like things about space, and I like Jon Ronsons books, especially You've Been Publicly Shamed. Anything about other cultures is always a win for me - or anything about industries I haven't experienced, or individuals who have overcome something horrific (like I Am Malala) So I think anything about people who I wouldn't experience otherwise in everyday life? :D
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle:
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

sparkle wrote:
somethingsketchy wrote:

Yeah :)

Perks of Being a Wallflower - I just like the introspection? Anything that is quite ruminating and brooding I like. I think I just liked how much I got into his head?

Non-fiction - anything on North Korea I like things about space, and I like Jon Ronsons books, especially You've Been Publicly Shamed. Anything about other cultures is always a win for me - or anything about industries I haven't experienced, or individuals who have overcome something horrific (like I Am Malala) So I think anything about people who I wouldn't experience otherwise in everyday life? :D
If you like introspection and brooding, I would recommend Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. I actually didn't fully appreciate how well-written the main character's inner monologue was until I saw the movie based on the book. The movie is really boring because the introspection of the book doesn't come through at all. However, the book deals heavily with themes like depression and suicide so it can be quite triggering.

I'll also recommend you the YA paranormal fantasy series The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater (that has already been mentioned a couple of times in this thread). Don't let the generic YA blurb fool you, the style of the series is quite original. The narration is introspective from the beginning but becomes even more so as the series progresses. There is both f/m and m/m romance in the books, but the story focuses on friendship over romance. It is difficult to summarise what the series is about without giving away any spoilers, but let me just say the story is good and complex.

Another romance-light YA novel I'd recommend is One by Sarah Crossan. It tells the story of Grace and Tippi, conjoined twins, who are about to start going to a regular school after years of being homeschooled. There is crushing involved, but the focus of the story is family. Interestingly, the story is written in verse, which I liked even though I rarely read poetry.

I hope these are useful to you. I don't read that much non-fiction and don't read horror at all so can't exactly give you that kind of recs. :)
villainy
placenta

I am a bit late (lmao) but I know a website where you can type a particular music/movie/TV show/book/author/game, and get instant suggestions/recommendations. (https://tastedive.com/) :D
aleanna
glabella

Hey, all!

Last week, I read a pretty awesome M/M romance series that I thought some people on this forum would like. It's about couples who fall in love online, and book 4 in the series is about a couple of YouTubers!

It's the Cyberlove series by Megan Erickson and Santino Hassell.

If anyone decide to give it a try, I'd love to discuss it with you. :D
Check out my YouTube channel where I post badly edited vlog-things: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4MzLr ... nRQQMRpp6A
parallel
phabergé

Hi guys! I haven't had the best of luck asking around so I thought I'd try here: do you guys know any good action/adventure books with f/f romance? Doesn't have to be the MC's relationship, but I just want it to be clearly there as part of the plot. Anything's fair game tbh - YA, children's, grown ass adults, whatever. I'm also fine with things getting pretty heavy/dark, so basically anything that's good haha.
citizen_erased
truth bomb

emerald wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:10 am Hi guys! I haven't had the best of luck asking around so I thought I'd try here: do you guys know any good action/adventure books with f/f romance? Doesn't have to be the MC's relationship, but I just want it to be clearly there as part of the plot. Anything's fair game tbh - YA, children's, grown ass adults, whatever. I'm also fine with things getting pretty heavy/dark, so basically anything that's good haha.
seconding this request!

I have heard about a book called The Abyss Surrounds Us by Emily Skrutskie, a f/f romance about pirates & sea monsters, not sure if that's the type of thing you'd want? I haven't read it myself yet, so I can't tell you whether it's a good book or not but it seems to have good ratings on Goodreads.
parallel
phabergé

citizen_erased wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:33 am
emerald wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:10 am Hi guys! I haven't had the best of luck asking around so I thought I'd try here: do you guys know any good action/adventure books with f/f romance? Doesn't have to be the MC's relationship, but I just want it to be clearly there as part of the plot. Anything's fair game tbh - YA, children's, grown ass adults, whatever. I'm also fine with things getting pretty heavy/dark, so basically anything that's good haha.
seconding this request!

I have heard about a book called The Abyss Surrounds Us by Emily Skrutskie, a f/f romance about pirates & sea monsters, not sure if that's the type of thing you'd want? I haven't read it myself yet, so I can't tell you whether it's a good book or not but it seems to have good ratings on Goodreads.
That's the book I've literally just ordered, haha! I'll update you guys on whether or not it's good :)
twix
butt chair

My SO likes Alex Westmore's series-- she's got books about demon hunters, pirates, post-apocalyptic scenarios, etc. The books are a little cheesy to my taste, but the author runs enough deals that you can probably find the first book of at least one series for free at any given time.

I haven't read Melina Marchetta's Lumatere Chronicles; I have a friend who stans them really hard though. YA high fantasy trilogy; the f/f romance doesn't happen until the second book iirc.

Other than those, I've mentioned both Ammonite and The Warrior's Path upthread. And I guess if you haven't read Orlando, I would recommend that.
parallel
phabergé

twix wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:00 pm
My SO likes Alex Westmore's series-- she's got books about demon hunters, pirates, post-apocalyptic scenarios, etc. The books are a little cheesy to my taste, but the author runs enough deals that you can probably find the first book of at least one series for free at any given time.

I haven't read Melina Marchetta's Lumatere Chronicles; I have a friend who stans them really hard though. YA high fantasy trilogy; the f/f romance doesn't happen until the second book iirc.

Other than those, I've mentioned both Ammonite and The Warrior's Path upthread. And I guess if you haven't read Orlando, I would recommend that.
Wow, thank you! I'll go check some of those out <3
Vsoftdnp
tol bean
Pronouns: she/her/they/them

Dunno if anyone has read this already, but the 'Court of Thorns and Roses' series has been the best read I've had in about half a year. Would highly recommend it, although I must warn you the fanbase is not very active
I'm getting tired of this war of hearts
This competition that has no end
Do me a favour and cut the ties with that side-eyed glare of yours
That cuts through minds and wills