Louise Pentland

NarrysCanary
janice from the shop
Pronouns: she/her

She was very honest about being published so easily because her name is well-known and about the fact she had more help from her editor than you would expect. I'm a bit less annoyed at her for admitting it.
:biheart:
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

I wasn't expecting that at all and I'm so glad she was so honest and talked more about her writing and publishing process. The book is back on my tbr pile now. :) I'm still not expecting too much but I love her and now that she's come clean about how much help she's had, I feel a lot better about her book.

(Makes me wonder if she lurks here though to be honest since she's brought this up now that we've been discussing it here for a few days. But maybe a lot of other fans just had the same thoughs about her book we had.)
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

I am very happy about Louise's latest video, in which she visits the printing house where her book is printed. There is no talk about the actual writing or anything we have discussed here so far, but the video satisfied my inner lover of books as physical objects.
NarrysCanary
janice from the shop

Louise's book has come out a few days ago. Has anyone here read it yet ?
I've read the reviews on amazon and apparently there are a lot of grammar and syntax mistakes ? The single moms who've read the book said they couldn't relate to robin as her life is way easier than the life of your average struggling single mom. Also Robin seems to be a copy of Louise as Robin's life is apparently very similar to Louise's. And the single moms who appreciate Louise were very disappointed by the book.
Does anybody agree with those reviews ? I didn't read the book and don't intend too.

edit : I've been reading her thread on the other forum (people are judging her fairly so I don't think her thread is as bad as the other threads on the website) and she apparently asked people on instagram to leave positive reviews on amazon as it was only filled with negative/constructive criticism. :?
Birdie
blobfish

I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I'll probably get it once I get back to the UK since Amazon UK has it for £4.99 at the moment. But I've seen the reviews too and they don't bode well. I mean, I was sure it wouldn't be that good, being her first ever novel and all, but grammar and syntax errors in a published novel? Yikes. I'm going to post a little review here once I got around to reading it. But I don't think I'll get it that soon if the price goes up again before I get back to England, I don't really want to spend too much on it. I mean, I took a look at the sneak peek on Amazon and her writing is kind of... not that good. I don't think I'll like the book but I want to give it a try.

(I'm actually somewhat bothered by Sophie Kinsella's endorsement on the cover. Did she really like it or did they just make UK's biggest chick lit author endorse the book so it would sell better? :? )
NarrysCanary wrote:edit : I've been reading her thread on the other forum (people are judging her fairly so I don't think her thread is as bad as the other threads on the website) and she apparently asked people on instagram to leave positive reviews on amazon as it was only filled with negative/constructive criticism. :?
Wow, if that's true that's the most unprofessional thing she could've done. I really feel like Louise doesn't really care about whether or not people like her book, she just wants it to be successful. Hm.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I skimmed twitter a bit and someone even screencapped and posted the part where the names of two main characters get mixed up - Louise tried to spin it into a positive.
But I mean, that's not even really on her, that's a sign of it being very poorly edited.

I didn't feel inclined to read it until I'm seeing all these negative reviews and now I want to judge it for myself. They negative reviews aren't even just people out to slam a youtuber book - almost all of them seem to start from the perspective of 'I'm a fan, but' so it seems unfair of Louise to be discouraging that honesty.
DatCog
blobfish

I've got the book having pre-ordered it ages ago...slightly regretting my hastiness after reading some of the previous posts! I haven't felt inclined to read it just yet as it's a bulky hardback and I'm currently enjoying a selection of phanfics on my Kindle! Perhaps I'll give it a go in bed tonight and see how I get on, although I'm not feeling too enthused
Birdie
blobfish

Ah yes, a real person wrote Wilde Like Me, unlike all those other books that were written by robots. But Dizzy is right, that one's on her editor. I agree on the reviews too. It's mostly people who watch her and feel disappointed by the book. The negative reviews all seem very genuine, I don't think it's people slamming her book just because she's a Youtuber.
NarrysCanary
janice from the shop

Louise asking for positive reviews have angered a few people I don't know why but I can't help feeling bad for her she seems to be doing everything wrong.
I wonder if she'll talk about her book's reviews whether they're positive or not in a vlog.
The_Blonde
living flop

NarrysCanary wrote:Louise's book has come out a few days ago. Has anyone here read it yet ?
I've read the reviews on amazon and apparently there are a lot of grammar and syntax mistakes ? The single moms who've read the book said they couldn't relate to robin as her life is way easier than the life of your average struggling single mom. Also Robin seems to be a copy of Louise as Robin's life is apparently very similar to Louise's. And the single moms who appreciate Louise were very disappointed by the book.
Does anybody agree with those reviews ? I didn't read the book and don't intend too.
Have read it and completely agree (which is a shame because I like Louise and I like fluffy chick-lit) - the main character is a complete self-insert and I can understand the comments from single mums reading it because it's so completely detached from what I imagine their lives are like (Robin has a whole team of people helping her look after "Lyla Blue" in this and also has an inheritance). I genuinely couldn't work out what her job was. There's a few anecdotes that I recognised from Louise's vlogs too. For someone who is such a witty storyteller irl it really doesn't flow and is very clumsy in places.

(it is also shockingly edited omg).
Moonbeamsonthepath
living flop
Pronouns: she

In her new video, she says that Daniel is one of the favourite baby names.

Thought that was funny seeing as how Phil was trying to persuade her to call the baby Philip
NarrysCanary
janice from the shop

I mostly liked the names she suggested for a baby girl but I thought that the names for a baby boy were quite weird, I don't think it's a good idea to name your baby boy knight or duke I feel like the poor boy would get mocked for such names at school. Though Daniel and Darcy sounds rather nice but I don't think she'll actually name her son Daniel.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I haven't kept up with Louise much lately, but noticed a funny thing about her book's writing style, only from the first pages as I don't do much reading anymore so haven't bought it yet. My previous ranty post was because the bit she shared in her newsletter to entice us to buy it was really clunky and over-described, I need a book to grab me and go (like John Green's style for young adult fiction), but all that telling instead of showing slows it down so much, it's just amateur writing.

Once the book was released I used the Look Inside feature on Amazon to see if it got any better and it does as soon as the first chapter starts. That awful bit was just the prologue and then the writing style really improves. It's a bit weird, but I was hopeful for the rest if it carries on the way the first chapter began. Judging from those reviews, though, maybe not. I use commas badly, have done for years, but used to use semi-colons in the right place (I stopped because it's not the way people write these days and it looks pedantic, but I maintain Oxford commas are not necessary if you remember how to use semi-colons and listing commas). Still, bad punctuation, spelling or editing in published writing is a pet hate.

It would be sweet, and probably a bit strange for Dan and Phil, if she called her baby Daniel. One of my grandfathers was a Phil, but it's the name Daniel that's grown on me since becoming a fan. We had five Daniels at school one year so I dismissed it for a long time.
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

Ngl, it mostly makes me feel uncomfortable that a baby's sex matters unnecessarily much to most people, but I still wanted to share this video because Louise is just so happy in it.
NarrysCanary
janice from the shop

This was so sweet, I'm happy for her. I was on the baby boy team so I was happily surprised. I can't wait to see what she is going to call her baby girl. :D
flarequake wrote:It would be sweet, and probably a bit strange for Dan and Phil, if she called her baby Daniel. One of my grandfathers was a Phil, but it's the name Daniel that's grown on me since becoming a fan. We had five Daniels at school one year so I dismissed it for a long time.
I thought the same as you about calling her child Daniel even though it would've sounded good with Darcy. I overlooked the name Daniel as well for a long time since both my grandfather and uncle are called Daniel but like you I've grown fond of it because of Dan.
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

somethingsketchy wrote:Ngl, it mostly makes me feel uncomfortable that a baby's sex matters unnecessarily much to most people, but I still wanted to share this video because Louise is just so happy in it.
I'm glad that Louise acknowledges the criticism she received for her last video in her new one even though I don't think she completely got the point.
thephandommenace
procrastinator

somethingsketchy wrote:
somethingsketchy wrote:Ngl, it mostly makes me feel uncomfortable that a baby's sex matters unnecessarily much to most people, but I still wanted to share this video because Louise is just so happy in it. :love1:
I'm glad that Louise acknowledges the criticism she received for her last video in her new one even though I don't think she completely got the point.
I'm on the fence about it. At least she shows more acknowledgement in this video than her tweets following the Gender Reveal video, which sounded a lot more dismissive. She sounds more accepting of the idea, much more than some of the shockingly ignorant comments under this video as well. When I first saw the Gender Reveal video I felt extremely uncomfortable, not only because of the excitement over the baby's sex (or 'gender' as it was incorrectly labelled), but also because I knew the arguments that would come afterwards. I'm glad she was able to learn something new and think about her actions a bit more but at the same time the idea of so many people weighing in with their opinions on how to raise her unborn child made me want to crawl into a hole and never come out. That's the price you have to pay with sharing your pregnancy and child-rearing on the internet I suppose. And it's better than no-one saying anything and/or her ignoring them so that the conversation about gendering babies would get swept under the rug. Maybe I'm being too forgiving but it isn't possible to be a 100% perfect parent and she sounds a lot more accepting than my own mother.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I don't think Louise really grasped the issue at all. She got a nice polished statement from Gleam to read to avoid further offense and she'd have been better off leaving it at that. She's fully and completely missing the point that basing your excitement about your future child on their gender from before birth on conditions them to be raised thinking anything else than the gender roles you've put on a pedestal for them is a disappointment.

I will acknowledge it must be stressful having a kid while you've got so much attention on you, but I feel like public input is the price you pay for monetizing your child to begin with.
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

I really like/respect Louise for the most part, but damn this is some A-grade ignorance (the tweets are in regards to A level results being released in the UK):
[Transcription in case she deletes the tweets as I can't work out how to insert screenshots:
@terrillea_ 'yeah but not everyone has the luck of becoming a famous youtuber'
Louise replies: 'Correct but everyone has the opportunity to work hard'

and

@Mollie_MJay 'Bit different love. It's not like you have to get up for a 9-5 job, just sit in front of a camera'
Louise replies: 'Link me to your successful channels, blog, books, fashion line and charity work, and then we'll talk, love <3.]

How can she not see that regardless of how much work she's put into her career, she is now at a place where she is beyond financially stable and is largely able to work on her own terms, from her own (v luxurious) home. Others do not have that privilege. It just annoys me when youtubers act like the work involved with youtube (or to be more specific, youtube as a viable, successful career) is in any way comparable to the intense pressure and workload in many other less flexible fields.

As someone born into a working class family, who watched my parents struggle to juggle raising me with working in low-paying, physically demanding jobs, it pisses me off to see someone as privileged as Louise dismissing the concerns of working class people who take issue with her inability to recognise how lucky she is to have the sort of career she does.

Poor people work damn hard too, and their lack of financial success has nothing to do with their work ethic. Just such a naive, neoliberal idea and it frustrates me to see so many people defending her and writing off @Mollie_MJay and others as unnecessarily mean or nasty.
NarrysCanary
janice from the shop

Wow, she sounds really arrogant with those tweets. I think her success is going a bit to her head :?
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Is it just me or has she become more infuriating while pregnant? I was always pretty alright with her most of the time but lord.. Louise is completely out of touch, this was something I heard a lot of people criticize her book for as well. The main character (totally based on her) is supposed to relate to single mums apparently but she doesn't at all seem to grasp what 'normal' single mums go through.

A reason I dislike so many YouTubers is because of this out of touch arrogance. That they got where they are because they 'work hard' as if poor people don't or something. Like I know this isn't a thing with only YouTubers, but considering what a YouTube lifestyle really entails compared to mant other jobs it's infuriating to read the ~you don't need A levels~ opinions from these twats who got lucky. Because they happened to be on the website at the right time, because they had a video go viral or because they had a more famous friend.. Plenty of creators work far harder on their content than any vlogger or beauty guru and they never make it big (and some of them aren't even bitter about their lack of popularity compared to others, take notes certain group of British creators!). YouTubers never seem to acknowledge their privileges unless they can get brownie points for mentioning it.

A reason I always appreciated Dan is that he never applies his situation to dropping out yet succeeding to everyone else. He was unhappy in uni, quit and was able to make it work (again due to a shitload of luck). But he's never like 'you don't need education, look at my million of subscribers across 5 channels, radio shows, hosting gigs, books, a tour and awards!' or whatever. He's more like 'this is not the end of the world, there are other ways to succeed etc etc' and that is such a different tone and message.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
nephilimcat
woodland creature

Catallena wrote:Is it just me or has she become more infuriating while pregnant? I was always pretty alright with her most of the time but lord.. Louise is completely out of touch, this was something I heard a lot of people criticize her book for as well. The main character (totally based on her) is supposed to relate to single mums apparently but she doesn't at all seem to grasp what 'normal' single mums go through.

A reason I dislike so many YouTubers is because of this out of touch arrogance. That they got where they are because they 'work hard' as if poor people don't or something. Like I know this isn't a thing with only YouTubers, but considering what a YouTube lifestyle really entails compared to mant other jobs it's infuriating to read the ~you don't need A levels~ opinions from these twats who got lucky. Because they happened to be on the website at the right time, because they had a video go viral or because they had a more famous friend.. Plenty of creators work far harder on their content than any vlogger or beauty guru and they never make it big (and some of them aren't even bitter about their lack of popularity compared to others, take notes certain group of British creators!). YouTubers never seem to acknowledge their privileges unless they can get brownie points for mentioning it.

A reason I always appreciated Dan is that he never applies his situation to dropping out yet succeeding to everyone else. He was unhappy in uni, quit and was able to make it work (again due to a shitload of luck). But he's never like 'you don't need education, look at my million of subscribers across 5 channels, radio shows, hosting gigs, books, a tour and awards!' or whatever. He's more like 'this is not the end of the world, there are other ways to succeed etc etc' and that is such a different tone and message.
I really don't like that attitude either. I mean, that person saying YouTubers are just sitting in front of a camera is totally out of place, a lot of them do work hard. But the popular ones get a lot of money for it and there are so many people out there who work as hard or harder and are still struggling to pay rent. This whole "if you work hard enough, you will be successful"-sentiment is just not true, sadly. Especially if you aren't a healthy white cis-man, have some good connections, or happen to get lucky. So many people of colour, non-Christians, queer people, mentally ill or disabled people, and also women have so many obstacles put in their way to the top that they can work as hard and be as smart as they want, they will still be paid less or take longer or have to deal with more assholes than their healthy, white cis-male counterparts.

[offtopic]And sometimes I just think: I don't want to work my ass off, I just want to have a nice job and be able to support myself and a bunch of cats and be happy. I don't need to be rich or successful if that means I have to prioritise work for most/all of my life, it's just not something I'm capable of because of depression. It's draining to work hard, and money isn't always worth it. A friend of my friend's father (wow) quit being a doctor and now works in a job that doesn't pay much money and he says he's never been happier. So that's also something we need to keep in mind instead of telling people that success and money are everything. Just realised this is off-topic, oops.[/offtopic]
pulvis et umbra sumus
saffarinda
truth bomb

Catallena wrote:Is it just me or has she become more infuriating while pregnant? I was always pretty alright with her most of the time but lord.. Louise is completely out of touch, this was something I heard a lot of people criticize her book for as well. The main character (totally based on her) is supposed to relate to single mums apparently but she doesn't at all seem to grasp what 'normal' single mums go through.

agree with all of this omg ^^

what pisses me off the most with people preaching that you don't need A-Levels is that, firstly, we've been taught our whole lives that we get a good education, get good results, go to a good uni, and get a good job - people's lives don't always work out this way but it's what we're taught, changing that mindset is difficult. Secondly, for the most part it is the traditional route people take nowadays - becoming a successful Youtuber isn't something everybody can do due to the saturated market, people might not want to become youtubers. If you want to go into medicine, for example, and miss out on the grade that enables you to study at your first choice uni you would feel like absolute utter shit. Because in that moment it's the future you've dreamed of slipping away forever. A Youtuber saying "Look how far I've come without education!!" when they're in a completely different sector of work is worthless to that person studying medicine, because they require the grades to study at Uni, because they need their degree to become a Doctor/Nurse/Any Other Job In The Medical Sector.

Her second condescending response really grated on me as well.
25/04/2017 - #blessed
Ablissa
pastel persona

Really agreeing with all of you so hard. I follow her page on FB and she is completely out of touch with reality. I myself am quite poor, so I'm not able to judge, but she acts like having a boatload of money, throwing parties, buying cute furniture etc. is the norm to everyone, when I know it is not. What really grates me is that she seems to be doing it out of ignorance and not just arrogance, but honestly, who knows at this point?

I wonder if she lurks here, if she does, then Louise, remember 99% of your viewers aren't as fortunate as you are and a lot of them are living paycheck to paycheck, if that...

Here is a post that pissed me off today:

Seriously, a trip to the hair dresser ONCE A WEEK??? I can hardly justify once every 6 months...
000dia000
emo goose

Ablissa wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:04 pm
Here is a post that pissed me off today:

Seriously, a trip to the hair dresser ONCE A WEEK??? I can hardly justify once every 6 months...
Yeah, I didn't really follow her a lot and just happened to watch one video on a whim...and I learned that the woman goes to a hairdressers once a week. She hasn't washed her own hair in years. Let that sink in when you're scraping the bottom of a small travel shampoo you find at the bottom of your bedside drawer.

I don't hate her, and I didn't even realize she was like this up until this point. She just reminds me of the kind of people you're mutually friends with who constantly goes on holidays and parents pay for everything. She's so out of touch it hurts to watch and I don't think I could ever view her the same way again.
:cactus: