Dan & Phil Part 53: another two months

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

human wrote:
Susanisnotafish wrote:
human wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:Still don't understand people making a big deal about how they explained how they met. They both gave more or less accurate versions of their career paths as youtubers - they just omitted the details that overlapped with their personal backstory/relationship to each other.
This. They condense it because it's not that important or interesting to anyone except shippers, I don't believe there's anything deliberately misleading there. I don't get why people make it such a drama at all lol.

Just lounging in my hotel watching the video, SO happy they've posted it, it was brilliant. I just hope they release the baking video compilation they made as it was absolutely glorious.
What was the other video they showed that wasn't in the recording?
It was a video of snippets from the TATINOF documentary and bits of older videos I think. Phil actually buried his face in his hands when they showed a bit of his first video and Dan blushed as usual about hello internet. Very cute.

The baking video one was the best one, the whole room responded so well and I felt like afterwards, the people in the room who had no idea who they were at the start now suddenly adored them.
Thanks for clearing that up. It's so cool that the phandom always has someone at all these events to give all the fan details that the rest of us crave to hear! It's almost as good as being there. Thank you for sharing all the little things you experienced!
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
chiccola
sofa crease

human wrote:
Susanisnotafish wrote:
human wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:Still don't understand people making a big deal about how they explained how they met. They both gave more or less accurate versions of their career paths as youtubers - they just omitted the details that overlapped with their personal backstory/relationship to each other.
This. They condense it because it's not that important or interesting to anyone except shippers, I don't believe there's anything deliberately misleading there. I don't get why people make it such a drama at all lol.

Just lounging in my hotel watching the video, SO happy they've posted it, it was brilliant. I just hope they release the baking video compilation they made as it was absolutely glorious.
What was the other video they showed that wasn't in the recording?
It was a video of snippets from the TATINOF documentary and bits of older videos I think. Phil actually buried his face in his hands when they showed a bit of his first video and Dan blushed as usual about hello internet. Very cute.

The baking video one was the best one, the whole room responded so well and I felt like afterwards, the people in the room who had no idea who they were at the start now suddenly adored them.
There you go it's about 7 minutes in the periscope.
https://twitter.com/7Iune/status/900659866787880960
It is still up but I think those things are gone after 24 hours.
liola
rankussy
Pronouns: she/her

alittledizzy wrote: 43:09 - If Phil were the boss, he'd be the weatherman. Dan: "Endgame." Phil also wants to see more things for young people on television, so they won't complain that young people don't watch television. Dan starts to applaud him, then realizes no one else is applauding Phil. (I hope that was just muscle memory. I hope Dan just walks around the house applauding Phil.)
I want you to know I choked on my water while reading this and then started coughing and half crying and I think part of those tears were about being emo over Dan applauding Phil just for existing. Beautiful, inspiring, incredible, show stopping. I'd put the Gaga meme on here if I had it handy.

The gaming video wasn't my favorite, cute but I was a bit too distracted by the horrible drawings. Favorite part is Phil admitting he basically drew Dan and ignored everything else. I mean, if that doesn't describe Phil this year...
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
autumnhearth
senpai

Thanks for the timestamps dizzy! I will give them a full read before I watch the official video tonight or tomorrow. I watched the periscope this morning and it was a good chat, I enjoyed hearing them speak in that environment.

(Still maybe my favorite thing is when they walked up the steps to the chairs and Dan pointed to each and I could hear his brain working out "Dan, Phil.")

You are a beautiful human, human. The two giants flanking you are pretty good looking as well. Thanks for the reports folks! That baking montage was great, though the periscope didn't focus on it well.

The gaming video was a bit zany, helped along by that music in the background and their singing. Dan's shirt is totally a peachy salmon and I thought he looked lovely in it, though I enjoyed Phil telling him he was a headache and that he's not allowed to wear it again. I also kept thinking that Dan's nails were painted when he had them on his sleeve (because of the numbers and letters on it). I loved Phil's angry head butt, Dan helping Phil count/add, the board pushing and "shut up rat". And that's about it. Not the best game as it was grading based on the correct colors in the right spaces, rather than any artistic quality or even neatness. Not as funny as Quick Draw, but the boys were cute.
vincentian
hobbit hair

LtrllySusan wrote:
ijustwantdeath wrote:will there be a video of it uploaded somewhere? and does anyone know when? I wanna watch it do bad :/
Yes, here you go:
Omg that was probably one of the best interviews of them I've seen, both regarding the subjects that were discussed and how they handled it in general. 10/10. Also, Sue Perkins, the hero who asked the age question, which I had been very curious about. Happy for the people who attended this in person.

Made some timestamps, but they are just random quotes.
1:33
-D: I mean it’s as dodgy as it sounds tbh, isn’t it?
-P: Yeah.
-D: Social media strangers?
-P: Social media… [moves on]

6:17
-D: “Sit on the Internet, talking to strangers. Are you being groomed, Phil”?
-P: I wasn’t being groomed.
-D: That’s how it worked probably.
-P: That was.. yeah a little bit of that. (!!)

7:54
-D: “Let’s just try being creative weirdos on the Internet the whole time!” It was scary but then I think we err... it all worked out.
:)

8:03
-P: I think by making more videos together we developed more of a viewership of people wanting to watch Dan and Phil videos. [That’s… a very carefully put understatement of a century Philly. And the word “ship” still made it there lol.]

8:46
-D: “For us it was years and years of nobody watching..” (that’s bs Dan)

9:52
-P: I try not to think about what the audience want but what I would enjoy making. (Oookay. If you say so. You sure?)

10:45
-D: Phil kinda… fell into comedy. (That’s an interesting observation.)

10:50
-D: ..relatable topics.. (Phil takes a sip.)

Beside the point, but the glass looks like a shot glass in Dan’s giant hand and it made me lol when he was talking and waving it around. Also funny that when Dan was answering questions for himself he was often interviewing Phil within those answers.

12:01
-P: You can get a lot of ads on that one. [a 14-hour long monologue]
-D: [makes a «stop it» gesture]

12:36
-D: That’s going to be in 5 years. The inevitable break-down. [The Dark Phil who had had enough of the internet]. :o

-P: He’s already the Dark Dan.

14:00
Phil essentially walked right into the making money topic. Good one lol.

16:46
Dan boasting how self-sufficient a youtube creator (i.e. him) is. Then waffles for minutes.

20:00
Throwing in Radio One mention as a show-off. Lol, regarding where Deps and Radio One are at now and how they parted.

20:50
-D: We had six and a half minutes with 1D in the toilet. (No context needed.)

Dan is blushing, sweating, waffling for a long while expressing some rash unfinished thoughts.. I saw that before.. in hundreds liveshows. Sue: hmm.

26:30
They’ve had conversations with BBC 3, BBC Comedy over the years, and it didn’t work out for various reasons. (Did Dan mean casually chatting to Bryony or actually some projects?)

28:30
That was pretty eloquent way to express why the global access to content is where the entertainment industry has progressed to. I’ll give this to Dan.

29:20
D&P complimenting on the Bake-Off with Sue. That was cuuute. <3

30:00 - ish
Dan showing off, throwing in mentions of working with stage show producers and book editors.

32:12
-S: This generation is very open about anxiety.
-D: [Literally takes a sip. Lets Phil talk.]

33:20
Phil is so cold-blooded about negative comments. (Definitely a vampire.) Dan thinks he is weird.

34:07
Sue loves Dan’s “We were born in the fires of the Internet”.

34:47
-D: People aren’t afraid of sharing their vulnerabilities. (Speaking very generally here, Dan.)

39:06
Phil doesn’t look impressed with the "how old you are" question. Lol his face.
Phil thought everyone will stop watching on his birthday.
Dan speaking for the audience: “We still love you”. Aw.

41:43
D&P obviously aren't commissioners of TV channels, but they managed to waffle about it with the positive message at the end.
Last edited by vincentian on Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tayane
placenta

alittledizzy wrote: 6:48 - Dan talking about studying law (Phil: It wasn't your dream.) and taking a year out. Mixes up gap year/high school stories with post-youtube?
7:34 - Dan saying they met after he'd been doing youtube a year.
7:55 - It was scary to try being youtubers, Phil adds that they got more of a viewership because people wanted to watch more of them together and the fandom developed.
i think he meant taking a year out of uni and going youtube full time??
and they had already met and he was doing youtube for a year
i watched 3 times lol and that's what i understood
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

tayane wrote:
alittledizzy wrote: 6:48 - Dan talking about studying law (Phil: It wasn't your dream.) and taking a year out. Mixes up gap year/high school stories with post-youtube?
7:34 - Dan saying they met after he'd been doing youtube a year.
7:55 - It was scary to try being youtubers, Phil adds that they got more of a viewership because people wanted to watch more of them together and the fandom developed.
i think he meant taking a year out of uni and going youtube full time??
and they had already met and he was doing youtube for a year
i watched 3 times lol and that's what i understood
Oh yes sorry - I was a bit vague in my timestamps there, I meant the stories about him losing jobs (like the Reading festival one) happened earlier on than he indicated but he didn't differentiate between those jobs being pre-youtube and those jobs being while he tried to make youtube work.
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

I agree with all of this that alittledizzy said

"41:41 - What would they implement? "The strategy of accessibility and adapting to the times." Fuck, Dan, you've never been hotter. Talk industry to me, baby. Tell me more about how what demographics the television genre isn't addressing adequately enough.

Still don't understand people making a big deal about how they explained how they met. They both gave more or less accurate versions of their career paths as youtubers - they just omitted the details that overlapped with their personal backstory/relationship to each other. The interview was so impersonal that there wasn't even any mention of them living together, nothing about their lives save their jobs was relevant to it. Contextually, the way the explained things fit the situation they were in.

This panel wasn't about them, you can't even really compare it to other interviews they did because this wasn't an interview. It was Dan and Phil discussing their stance as professional youtubers and their opinions about the television industry."

Professional deppy are so hot!

Also thanks chiccola for posting the periscope! Wonder why they couldn't get rights to the TAtinof vid? Dont deppy own the rights?
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
Bekah
tol bean

Susanisnotafish wrote: Also thanks chiccola for posting the periscope! Wonder why they couldn't get rights to the TAtinof vid? Dont deppy own the rights?
It's more likely it's the small clips from the Brits, BBCR1 and BBC3.
coffeepenguin
rainbow nerd

Thank you everyone for posting timestamps and your personal accounts of the panel, I really enjoyed reading it! I've just watched the video on the festival's channel, loved it, veeeery interesting, even if I would have liked to hear more Phil (Dan was articulate enough, but still waffly at some moments)

I particularly liked Dan's gesture for "stop/control yourself" in response to Phil's "you can put a lot of ads on that" about a hypothetical 14 hours monologue and Phil's "that's the Dan I know" when Dan was talking about our inevitable demise after being uncharacteristically optimistic about the future, never change boys :lol: In all seriousness, I found Deppy's perspective on things in relation to TV maybe a bit naive at times, but definitely interesting, A+ interview.

Re: their origin story, I admit, I was a bit upset first when I read how their answered on twitter, but after watching the whole thing, I don't think it's a big deal. Dan's "it's as dodgy as it sounds" about meeting online is enough of a sign for me that they're not trying to shy away from it, it just wasn't the place. I didn't notice it while watching, only realised when read what dizzy said, but it's interesting that nobody mentioned that Deppy live together. They didn't go into details of individual/joint channels either. If I understand correctly from exchange on twitter earlier, Deppy met with Sue before doing the panel, I wonder if they covered at all their personal lives with her, like, told her they are coming to share their professional perspective, so there's no need to talk about the personal aspect of it and they prefer not to talk about it anyway.

Another thing that got my attention was Dan's "occasionally you gonna do something that's really self indulgent and horrible and people are gonna be like - there was an attempt". Do you think he was talking about TABINOF trailer?
Dan wants to be understood. Phil just wants to make the viewer smile and sell some backpacks (c) fancybum
citizen_erased
truth bomb

coffeepenguin wrote:Thank you everyone for posting timestamps and your personal accounts of the panel, I really enjoyed reading it! I've just watched the video on the festival's channel, loved it, veeeery interesting, even if I would have liked to hear more Phil (Dan was articulate enough, but still waffly at some moments)

I particularly liked Dan's gesture for "stop/control yourself" in response to Phil's "you can put a lot of ads on that" about a hypothetical 14 hours monologue and Phil's "that's the Dan I know" when Dan was talking about our inevitable demise after being uncharacteristically optimistic about the future, never change boys :lol: In all seriousness, I found Deppy's perspective on things in relation to TV maybe a bit naive at times, but definitely interesting, A+ interview.

Re: their origin story, I admit, I was a bit upset first when I read how their answered on twitter, but after watching the whole thing, I don't think it's a big deal. Dan's "it's as dodgy as it sounds" about meeting online is enough of a sign for me that they're not trying to shy away from it, it just wasn't the place. I didn't notice it while watching, only realised when read what dizzy said, but it's interesting that nobody mentioned that Deppy live together. They didn't go into details of individual/joint channels either. If I understand correctly from exchange on twitter earlier, Deppy met with Sue before doing the panel, I wonder if they covered at all their personal lives with her, like, told her they are coming to share their professional perspective, so there's no need to talk about the personal aspect of it and they prefer not to talk about it anyway.

Another thing that got my attention was Dan's "occasionally you gonna do something that's really self indulgent and horrible and people are gonna be like - there was an attempt". Do you think he was talking about TABINOF trailer?
I've also just finished watching the panel, it was really interesting. I like how they managed to stay fairly on-brand while also being calmer and more professional. (I agree that Dan could get waffly at times, but well, that's just how he is isn't it.)

I also agree the origin story wasn't nearly as bad as people were making it out to be. It seemed to be a good summary of how they met, adapted for a professional surrounding. It would've been awkward and too time-consuming to go into detail here imo.

tbh the first thing that came to mind at Dan's comment that I bolded above, was the memes video.
Ewok
rainbow nerd

Wow, wow, wow. Where do I begin!?

As coffeepenguin said, I 100% agree that they must have had some sort of debriefing with Sue. They tweeted about talking/meeting with her beforehand and without a doubt I believe that their relationship/living situation etc. - anything deemed inappropriate - was brought up in that conversation. Makes me wonder how many layers there are to all of this. Who's who that knows what, know what I mean? Interesting.

I'm totally 50/50 on the origin story. I agree that they must have contextualized their origin story, given their audience, and that's totally fine. However, I do think it's interesting it's a topic they generally feel the need to do such a silly dance around. As captainspacecoat said, "we met online through the youtube community before eventually meeting up in Manchester where we began to film videos together", brilliant, totally would've sufficed. When it comes to lies, it's the KISS principle, right? We've been all over the place with this story. :lol:

Of course I'm not angry with Dip & Pip for doing these things, obviously they feel they need to protect themselves in some way when they spin their origin story like this (or in this case, give away just enough to make it factually sound.) Just piques my lil pink trashcan interests!

ewok drinking game, take a shot every time I say the word interesting. sorry y'all, I SUCK AT WORDS.
»»-————𝓯𝓵𝓸𝓹𝓹𝔂 𝓭𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓭𝓸𝓷𝓰————-««
George
sad dimple

coffeepenguin wrote:In all seriousness, I found Deppy's perspective on things in relation to TV maybe a bit naive at times, but definitely interesting, A+ interview.
This is what I thought too. Their answers weren't really that innovative, and I doubt those businessmen actually learned anything new. They had a few good points, like geoblocking and getting help from professionals, but is any of that really new to the people who already work in the industry? It was pleasant to watch tho, and they were articulate in their answers.
coffeepenguin wrote:Re: their origin story, I admit, I was a bit upset first when I read how their answered on twitter, but after watching the whole thing, I don't think it's a big deal. Dan's "it's as dodgy as it sounds" about meeting online is enough of a sign for me that they're not trying to shy away from it, it just wasn't the place.
Yes, this wasn't as bad as I thought. Actually all they said was true?
coffeepenguin wrote:Another thing that got my attention was Dan's "occasionally you gonna do something that's really self indulgent and horrible and people are gonna be like - there was an attempt". Do you think he was talking about TABINOF trailer?
My mind immediately went 'the first time he has acknowledged the mess that was the memeing of life'.
You should never go to sleep on an argument.
malday
emo goose

coffeepenguin wrote: Re: their origin story, I admit, I was a bit upset first when I read how their answered on twitter, but after watching the whole thing, I don't think it's a big deal. Dan's "it's as dodgy as it sounds" about meeting online is enough of a sign for me that they're not trying to shy away from it, it just wasn't the place.
This is exactly what i thought.
The people who reported it first on twitter really made it sound like Dan and Phil were trying to hide and told this huge lie, when in fact if you watch the interview, it just wasn't the case.
kindofatrashcan
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: She/Her

George wrote:
coffeepenguin wrote:In all seriousness, I found Deppy's perspective on things in relation to TV maybe a bit naive at times, but definitely interesting, A+ interview.
This is what I thought too. Their answers weren't really that innovative, and I doubt those businessmen actually learned anything new. They had a few good points, like geoblocking and getting help from professionals, but is any of that really new to the people who already work in the industry? It was pleasant to watch tho, and they were articulate in their answers.
the thing is that even if these 'industry people' already know what it needs to be done, why aren't they doing it, maybe i'm as naive as dan but i feel like sometimes these people, these professionals aren't as open as they need to be. D&P aren't bringing anything new to the table, but maybe listening that from two really succesful people from other platformwill help a little. :) maybe i'm super optimistic :oops:
Apart from that, i was super interesting listening to D&P as professionals, and i feel like dizzy with the 'how they met' topic, i mean, nobody cares (in that context) and they basically told the true.
I feel like i'm forgetting something :roll: oh well...

EDIT: OH! what i was going to say.. interesting that the living arragements never came up, but maybe it's the same thing as the 'how we met' in that context, what matters are them as professionals not them as people.
Last edited by kindofatrashcan on Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iwishiwasacasual
glabella

i just found the whole origin story thing amusing more than anything, not in a 'lol they lied' way but more of an awkward, 'god the way they met will always make me slightly uncomfortable, but whatever' way.

lying about it isn't a big deal though, like dizzy said, people change stories to fit certain audiences, (like when people ask me what i do with all the time i spend of the internet, i certainly don't tell them i'm reading conspiracy theories about two random dudes i've never met)

new gaming video was kinda basic though, but it just means we are one video closer to the next golf so i shall stay positive.
coffeepenguin
rainbow nerd

George wrote:
Oh, I think they did, just not what the answer to all of their problems is. I think there are still a lot of people in TV who don't really understand youtube and youtubers, what they do and what kind of people they are, so I'm sure it was useful from that point of view.
George wrote:
coffeepenguin wrote:Another thing that got my attention was Dan's "occasionally you gonna do something that's really self indulgent and horrible and people are gonna be like - there was an attempt". Do you think he was talking about TABINOF trailer?
My mind immediately went 'the first time he has acknowledged the mess that was the memeing of life'.
Now, that's interesting. citizen_erased said it, too, but if you look at the numbers on his channel, it didn't do so bad? It has 1K dislikes, which is what Dan usually gets from what I see under his recent videos. His rebranding video has 3K dislikes, same for the diss track (although it has four times the views, so I shouldn't maybe compare). But I don't really know how to compare these things, was the general reaction to the memes video so bad?

In other news, what is happening with the colour of Dan's hair in the gaming video, is it the shirt?
Dan wants to be understood. Phil just wants to make the viewer smile and sell some backpacks (c) fancybum
Bekah
tol bean

Slightly off topic but what is the most controversial video (from any of their channels) in terms of likes/dislikes/views? Any easy way to find that out? I bet a quid it's going to be the licking video.
jaej
moon room
Pronouns: he/they/idm

i definitely think that answer for the meeting question came about because while it was only a little dodgy in 2009, it would sound a lot riskier in the context of 2017 when they're known for having a large, young teen audience (even if that isn't really the actual main demographic). obviously it isn't going to throw the core phandom off, but anyone writing or reading articles and stuff who doesn't know them will find the university/friend connection less concerning so the lie is more to target them imo

it can really easily be taken out of the context of what youtube 'fame' was then and become the sort of thing they, and any media reporting on them, wouldn't want to encourage. 'older, pretty well known youtuber becomes close to 18 year old fan' is basically the opening to a lot of stories of terrible encounters with the sort of youtubers who've since been cast out of the community for being inappropriate, and they probably just agreed it's better to be safe than sorry, especially with the way their meeting is romanticised. lots of people meet and talk online due to the phandom, and there are people who can take advantage of how easy it is. if it also gets fans meeting people to be a little more hesitant when meeting online friends, i'm not mad at them for bending the truth

(i mean realistically they did have online mutual friends and the slight possibility of going to manchester the year later might have encouraged dan to pursue meeting phil, so it's not like they reached hard to get the story)
my name is jaejmine masters and i have something to say. dan and phil have fucked up japan :japhan:
phil lester threw the first brick at stonewall, we love a queer icon :biflag:
autumnhearth
senpai

I agree with you all that the meeting story wasn't that big of a deal for the setting, though it could have been said a tad better. What I find interesting is the differences in what Dan said and what Phil said and how that echos the 2012 mutual friend lie. Dan simply saying we met on the internet (this time even admitting it was dodgy) and Phil adding something to make it sound less so. I mean I could be wrong and they could have discussed and agreed upon something before hand, but it seems like Phil cares more about how that is perceived, perhaps because he was the older one. Oh! Yes, what jaej said.

I also liked Phil's explaination for why he continues to not swear. He doesn't want to break those mums' trust. Bless him. <3

I really need to rewatch the official recording, there are subtleties I definitely missed during the periscope. Maybe because of the chat.
Ewok
rainbow nerd

jaej wrote: it can really easily be taken out of the context of what youtube 'fame' was then and become the sort of thing they, and any media reporting on them, wouldn't want to encourage. 'older, pretty well known youtuber becomes close to 18 year old fan' is basically the opening to a lot of stories of terrible encounters with the sort of youtubers who've since been cast out of the community for being inappropriate, and they probably just agreed it's better to be safe than sorry, especially with the way their meeting is romanticised. lots of people meet and talk online due to the phandom, and there are people who can take advantage of how easy it is. if it also gets fans meeting people to be a little more hesitant when meeting online friends, i'm not mad at them for bending the truth
Well said. I'd never really considered this angle of their origin story, but I totally see where it would inspire some younger fans to throw caution to the wind and meet up with someone they've met online because PhAn~<3 did it and they're totes in love and all, so it must be okay.

I think maybe I'm a little slow on this angle because I met my husband as a young teen while on Myspace (I was not a smart teen) and I lived to tell the tale, but you are totally right. Not only are there a metric fuckton of predatory randos online targeting underage kids, there's also assholes taking advantage of their young fanbase like Sam Pepper, Austin Jones.... blech. The power dynamics between a young fan and their idol can be super sketch. I've never really noticed before, but this makes me happy to realize that Dan & Phil treat their fans so respectfully and try their best to never blur/cross any lines with them.

Tbh I am more than okay with them backing away from their origin story if they think that it will make their meeting one another look less glamorous.

Definitely something I would also advise others to be cautionary about, looking back on when I met up with someone from the internet, it could have gone so so much worse haha. Scary to think about. :(
»»-————𝓯𝓵𝓸𝓹𝓹𝔂 𝓭𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓭𝓸𝓷𝓰————-««
beczor
tol bean

I haven't read through everyones comments yet - but am in the only one who found the casualness of how they talked about how they met quite remarkable in itself? Yeah they didn't explain, but with what we know, and them knowing this going to be seen outside this room - like being okay with the 'dodgy' thing and joking about it, rather than desperately scraping to clarify it in anyway to a room of mainly strangers?. and the way they looked at each other and smiled/laughed, with their own deep knowingness of what that actually involved - idk i found it kinda moving? if that makes sense. it showed a level of comfort with the amiguity of their relationship, instead of coming across as any sort of denial. Idk like that moment actually kind of stood out to me, in a good demon phannie way. lol.
saffarinda
truth bomb

completley agree with ur post jaej - if something similar occured in 2017 you just know the rumours and accusations that would be flying around. besides, it isn't the best message to send out as far as internet safety and stranger danger.

as far as controversial videos bekah from what i remember when the oreo video came up myself and everyone else seemed fine with it. the thing is, i thought it was pretty obvious it was an ad/spon and it appeared as though everyone agreed. it was only the terms against it now that made phil have to turn it down.

i'd say most controversial would be phil's video with that shauna (i think thats her name i cba to check) girl, simply due to her homophobic comments. it didn't do well views-wise. maybe some of dans older videos as well with the more offensive jokes/click-baity thumbnails (like how the old "University life" thumbnail was the two girls kissing, that's p controversial.

haven't watched the interview yet out of sheer laziness but it sounds cute for the most part, and i adore sue (rip true gbbo).
25/04/2017 - #blessed
kuensukki
janice from the shop

Dizzy's timestamps are the greatest thing in life!

Enjoyed the panel alot. First off, because Sue is a stunning goddess of a person that was so kind and had great chemistry with them. The both looked really good, I love any type of monochrome on Phil (ESPECIALLY BLACK) and any denim on Dan. Compared to other panels they've been on (re: vidcon) this one seemed the most natural. Agreed about the Dan being rambly, he would usually answer a question in 6-7 minutes while phil would take 2-4. I think Dan is very politician-like in the way he speaks. He usually comes off as really well-read in these conventions but sometimes when he answers I think he hasn't even heard the question and is just ranting, its kinda funny.

I really enjoyed the phil bits as well. While Dan talked to the audience I think Phil interacted more with Sue cracking jokes with her and seeming more in tune with her and her questions. I would love to see a video was the two, I think their chemistry would be amazing. He was much more confident in this one, not dominating (but that's how I always read him to be), but very content. He did struggle to decide to interject and add commentary, but it was much better than other panels he's been on. I loved what he said about shows becoming more popular when there is a tweeting event dedicated to it because we see that so much nowadays, especially with shows like Game of Thrones. Also the content bit, he is hesitant to change because he knows so many people like him for AP so he doesn't think it would benefit him.I loved the whole "ad revenue" bit. He's always thinking about da money (get that cash flowing) but also how unapologetic he was about why they do youtube and why they continue to. Yes, they enjoy it but a big part is the money and its nice to see him acknowledging that. When discussing negative comments, I was surprised to hear that he actually does read the negative comments (I previously thought he avoided them), as Dan put it "with a glazed look on his face" :lol: He's much more resilient than he lets on.

The video was actually very funny to me, I love seeing them fail in drawing

also human: your story reminds me of this, but this time dan was the one following phil :lol: seems like they trust each other to lead the way sometimes
scientia
phabergé

from dizzy's timestamps:

"7:34 - Dan saying they met after he'd been doing youtube a year. "

Is this true though? Forgive me for getting my dates mixed up but I thought Dan started youtube the same year he and Phil met...?