Dan & Phil Part 54: Born in the fires of the internet

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

hope this doesn't come out wrong, but could someone who's eager for a boardgame video explain to me the special appeal of it? i could see it working and i certainly wouldn't mind, but i don't have any strong feelings about the idea at the moment, so i'd like to see what makes y'all so excited for it?

<3
thank's you were great
autumnhearth
senpai
Pronouns: she/her

lurker the possibility excites me mainly because it's just another way to see deppy interact, maybe get a glimpse of what playing board games with them is like. Ya know, domesticity, competiveness, frustration, top bants and witnessing Phil's wonderful mind at work. Basically I'm a vouyer. :D
fancybum
senpai

lurker wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:29 pm hope this doesn't come out wrong, but could someone who's eager for a boardgame video explain to me the special appeal of it? i could see it working and i certainly wouldn't mind, but i don't have any strong feelings about the idea at the moment, so i'd like to see what makes y'all so excited for it?

<3
Short answer: boardgame bants! With video games, the story is mostly just all there on the screen and they're along for the ride. With board games I feel like there would be more space for actual banter between them that isn't just competitive screaming (though Dan always finds a way) like I think it would just be a bit calmer and talk-y (a+ english this morning). I really like Wil Wheaton's Table Top series and a lot of that is due to the friendly gameplay bants (lol?). I'd like to see D&P play Gloom (card game) with or without other people. They'd both get real weird with it in their own ways and it would just be great.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

thanks for your replies, autumnhearth and fancybum! i hadn't really considered the possibility of a different kind of bants, really, but
fancybum wrote:With board games I feel like there would be more space for actual banter between them that isn't just competitive screaming (though Dan always finds a way) like I think it would just be a bit calmer and talk-y (a+ english this morning).
i'm sold. now i'm also thinking about how their gameplay dynamics might be different in that -- usually, we get (a) dan controlling the game, (b) them taking turns (and dan complaining), or (c) them playing a competitive game against each other/at the same time. in a board game, everything might be more balanced. uh, and pauses while one of them is thinking about their turn filled with casual conversations.
autumnhearth wrote:and witnessing Phil's wonderful mind at work
...and/or them playing a game that requires lateral thinking and phil completely destroying dan.

("a whole new world" is softly playing in the distance) i'm sold, thank you so much. my only request is that they don't play a game that requires quick action since it'd probably be hard to follow and invite too much screaming. something moderately paced that can take surprising turns. and scrabble, i want to see scrabble.

i just have to say that i find the new forum style so aesthetically pleasing? the font is so pretty i'm literally swooning while typing look at these round letters and that pretty question mark???
thank's you were great
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

sparkle wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:43 am
dae wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:44 am So I've been thinking quite a bit about something and I think it could make for interesting discussion, do you think Dan ever regrets Phil, I mean as someone who seems to doubt so many of his life choices I'm sure there must have been a moment in which he has regretted growing up with Phil, I don't mean this in a bad way but Dan went from being 18 to living with Phil right away I guess he never really had that Independence i feel as if he didn't experience a lot of life things because of being with Phil (and that's not necessarily a bad thing) i hope this made sense any thoughts?
Dan did have a year in halls (feel sorry for him because UoM halls are horrible :lol:) and that is an independent living situation. Halls is very intense and very much a culture shock, so a lot of the 'independent' stuff happens very quickly. And where Dans halls weren't exactly on top of where Phil lived, he definitely got some form of independent living done.

I think though if you mean he never really had freedom because he moved in with Phil about 6 weeks after he left halls then yeah I guess he never had that. I think it would be natural for Dan to feel like it was a mistake, like its normal to have 'wtf am i doing moments' especially I guess in the period of 2011-2014, you know when Dans privacy was being violated? I think that is when Dan would be most likely to regret it. I think this shifts when you start to see him commit more to Phil through their joint branding, as he makes choice to be closer to Phil. Maybe he wanted to assert his independence initially but now doesn't?

Saying that though, Dan made the choice and continues to make the choice to commit to Phil. He didnt have to move in with Phil in Manchester, he didnt have to move to London, he didnt have to stay for five years, and he didnt have to move again with him. As someone who had something v similar happen (met my girlfriend, she lived in halls I lived with friends, she basically moved in for 6 months, we moved to our own flat, 2 years later we still live together, i'm the oldest and i'm only 22) like there are moments when you can back out. Sometimes you just know its right and want to live with that person. Which is how I think Dan felt.

Phil on the other hand, he had his time at uni, but his time living alone as an adult was taken up by Dan. Dan was always over, Dans family were so far away and Phil looked after him when he was really sick (did he have appendicitis? either way I feel sorry for him being stuck in MRI that hospital sucks) and Phil had this situation where he was living alone but not quite alone? And then Dan moved in, and I think thats something that is interesting too. Did Phil regret that the one year he lived independently he had Dan living within walking distance?

Besides, there was no reason why Dan couldn't have come to Manchester and moved straight in with Phil. You don't have to live in halls - so I think their living choices in this first year were very deliberate and I think their choice to move in together was also VERY deliberate. They clearly wanted to, and they clearly still want to buy a forever home.
Hey, they first time in days I'm caught up on on the thread.

I think all you've said above has gone through both of their minds and maybe prompted some regrets (you can regret some things without regretting your overall choices). The bit I bolded above is what first came to my mind. Does Phil regret that his chance to live independently for awhile before settling down just turned into having his boyfriend there most of the time anyway? Perhaps more interestingly, does Dan regret it? I actually think he might feel a little bad, in retrospect, about having taken up Phil's space then. They did what felt right for them at the time, and it's obviously worked out, but I can see Dan in retrospect feeling a bit sorry that Phil didn't have as much of an "independent" thing going as he might have wanted. That is, I can see Dan regretting that Phil didn't get something that might have been important to him. I think a lot of regrets about the past are not about missed opportunities for yourself so much as about how you impacted other people.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
Anonymousse
flower crown
Pronouns: Any

lurker wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:29 pm hope this doesn't come out wrong, but could someone who's eager for a boardgame video explain to me the special appeal of it? i could see it working and i certainly wouldn't mind, but i don't have any strong feelings about the idea at the moment, so i'd like to see what makes y'all so excited for it?

<3
[I'm actually answering this, wowza] :garbage:

The appeal for me is the fact that they are actually interacting with each-other while playing a board game.

When they play a video game they are very much so interacting with what is going on on the screen, while their faces are towards it and the camera. They act different and are probably very aware that they are being filmed.

When they are playing a board game (like an actual one) they are sitting towards eachother and interacting with eachother more [rather than interacting with eachother through a screen]. The camera is not in their field of focus as much and they are less aware of being filmed (even tho they are always vary of being filmed).

It is a bit more intimate and less "putting on a show" type of a thing which for me the gaming videos always are, even tho I like them. I don't think there would be less bants, but the bants would be different.

Plus I think it would be fairly unique and also board games are pretty dope.

:daddy: - I want the emotes back
But who the fuck am I kidding? I'm mostly just the rotting banana peel at the bottom of the phan trash can who genuinely gets excited over the thought of them snuggling in bed. Idgaf let a bitch live
- Manged

Lain
eclipse shirt

fancybum wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:45 pm Short answer: boardgame bants! With video games, the story is mostly just all there on the screen and they're along for the ride. With board games I feel like there would be more space for actual banter between them that isn't just competitive screaming (though Dan always finds a way) like I think it would just be a bit calmer and talk-y (a+ english this morning). I really like Wil Wheaton's Table Top series and a lot of that is due to the friendly gameplay bants (lol?). I'd like to see D&P play Gloom (card game) with or without other people. They'd both get real weird with it in their own ways and it would just be great.
+1! Gloom is so fun and I'd love to see what kind of shit they come up with.

I'm also a big fan of TableTop (& just Wil Wheaton + Felicia Day in general) and would kill a man to watch D&P play The Resistance with a few friends, especially since we know Phil successfully fooled (and shocked and outraged) Dan by winning as a spy when they played with Cat.

(6:24 in this video if anyone hasn't seen it):
Scrabble is another game I'd like to see them play (their Scrabble related tweets arouse me), and a co-op game like Pandemic or Forbidden Island could be fun to watch, especially if they play on a higher difficulty.

In all seriousness, though, the board game dweeb that's been inside me since childhood would probably settle for 60 minutes of Dan and Phil Play: Guess Who?
QuiteFriendly
drama llama

When did Dan add DINI, DAPG and AP to "Channels" on YT? He didn't use to have anything there, right?
And the "Premium Content" thing, that's new though? Or am I just confused?

That was a lot of question marks :)
SquishPhan
capita£ester

QuiteFriendly wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:18 pm When did Dan add DINI, DAPG and AP to "Channels" on YT? He didn't use to have anything there, right?

Must have been recent, because I think before he only had DAPG on there, definitely not DINI and AP.
Yeah pretty sure the premium content thing is new cause I don't remember seeing it before.
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

i'd just like to add that my dad is a board game fanatic and if i told him dan and phil played a board game on their channel he'd probably freak out bc he always asks me if deppy play board games. (cause he knows i love deppy and he loves board games lmao)
:transheart:
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

SquishPhan wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:24 pm
QuiteFriendly wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:18 pm When did Dan add DINI, DAPG and AP to "Channels" on YT? He didn't use to have anything there, right?

Must have been recent, because I think before he only had DAPG on there, definitely not DINI and AP.
Yeah pretty sure the premium content thing is new cause I don't remember seeing it before.
I'm pretty sure DINI and AP weren't there yesterday.
autumnhearth
senpai

Hmm. I dont usually pay attention to these things, so I'm curious was Daniel Howell (DINOF) a featured channel of Phil's for a long time?
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

autumnhearth wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:44 pm Hmm. I dont usually pay attention to these things, so I'm curious was Daniel Howell (DINOF) a featured channel of Phil's for a long time?
for as long as i can remember, at least
obscureDnPreference
procrastinator
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Can I confess that I really want Phil to change his YouTube picture? It's been that yellow one for forever and looks not professional and not even like him anymore.
"This is not children's television. I'm 26, I'm depressed, and I need edgy jokes to cope with my anxiety."
Daniel Howell, 10/30/17
goingbackto505
*editing tips*

oh wow, this made me happy :') I was holding a bit of a grudge against Dan for not having Phil's channel there even though Phil has Dan's, so now all is forgiven :lol: :garbage: it's a very recent change because I was just checking that tab this week. 'premium content' is new as well, indeed
autumnhearth wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:44 pm Hmm. I dont usually pay attention to these things, so I'm curious was Daniel Howell (DINOF) a featured channel of Phil's for a long time?
since day one, basically.
malday
emo goose

SquishPhan wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:24 pm

It was only DAPG and it only showed up on mobile, i never saw anything on his related channels on desktop.
Youtube rolled out some interface changes a couple of days ago, so maybe that's what made him finally get around to it.

Bout time he sponned his man :roll:
Last edited by malday on Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jaej
moon room
Pronouns: he/they/idm

re: board games, the main reason i wouldn't want it is that they would be soooo slow. the amount of actual gaming content in a 20 minute dapg video could be done in a 12 minute video by other gaming channels without sacrificing any humour imo. it takes like 3/4 minutes before they even START the game sometimes. a lot of board games are pretty slow and imagine the waiting time between their turns is annoying me already
my name is jaejmine masters and i have something to say. dan and phil have fucked up japan :japhan:
phil lester threw the first brick at stonewall, we love a queer icon :biflag:
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

I'm not sure I wanna watch them playing a board game but I guess it would depend on the game. Something like Monopoly or Risk is a hard pass for me. :lol: But something that's faster paced with lots of talking could be fun, especially if they play with other peoples.
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

I think I would be interested if Deppy played a boardgame that I don't know about. I want them to play Tokkaido mainly because of that, or one of those obscure games they love so much. Add in PJ and Sophie and you got yourself a 10/10 video (for me).
A game of Scrabble would be really cool too. I bet they would get really competitive and I'm always up for that.

But besides those not that excited, honestly. It's not like I couldn't live without it, and I get competitive Deppy already on DAPG so, it's fine.
Basically agree with jaej and pilotlight.
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
alch
ar·tic·u·late

I would love for them to play a board game on the gaming channel. I feel like when there's no focus on a screen that they're playing on it would leave more room for bants.
obscureDnPreference wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:50 pm Can I confess that I really want Phil to change his YouTube picture? It's been that yellow one for forever and looks not professional and not even like him anymore.
Agreed. He looks so different now from how he did then. Plus his current one looks like a selfie taken on a webcam.
scientia
phabergé

Re: regrets and independence. Do you guys think Phil ever regrets Dan? In the same vein, most of Phil's 20s were spent with this one person who was also associated with his online career. Instead of Phil being out there meeting other people and developing different career phases, he was just as tied to Dan as Dan was to him. I'm nearing 30 myself too and idk I think I would regret that my 20s were limited in such a way.

I say that fully accepting and enjoying the fact that they both chose to live their lives this way and continue to do so. Just think the reverse of this issue is important to think about too
kenzieisnotonfire
phillion/danosaur <//3

Love that this is so irrelevant that nobody has posted it yet... :lol: Oh Phil and his food Tweets :roll:
iero
phabergé

i can imagine them playing monopoly online rather than the board game (though id prefer the latter)
the sidemen have a monopoly series on youtube and its pretty successful...i just imagine it being played by more than 2 people though. maybe they could stream it and play with the viewers
lovely-daniel
phillion/danosaur <//3

obscureDnPreference wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:50 pm Can I confess that I really want Phil to change his YouTube picture? It's been that yellow one for forever and looks not professional and not even like him anymore.
me too tbh. i feel like he needs a cute revamp ^-^
-c
goingbackto505
*editing tips*

if it's better than Dan's ' look at me, I rebranded' one.. :lol: then yes, I'm all for it. but I have to admit, I'm kind of attached to his current icon. I assume Phil is, too, maybe it holds some sentimental meaning to him or he's just afraid of change

about board games/games that are not PC, what I certainly want, no, need to see is them play cards against humanity, and scrabble. which will never happen, lbr. we were robbed of the footage of Phil winning CAH in Zoella's vlog :| other than that, I'm not really familiar with broad games and not sure if them playing something slow-paced for hours would make for an entertaining video, let alone for a casual viewer. I'd still probably watch it though, just for the bants.

re: Dan regretting Phil and Phil regretting Dan. I don't even know what to say here, tbh. I got the impression that Dan might have, at some point. I mean, he got from this
to firmly tying his whole brand with Phil's, creating a joint gaming channel (DanAndPhilCrafts is also something they started together :lol:), launching a merch shop together, writing a book about their friendship, touring together.. if they had their regrets they must have got over them at some point or another. both of them have those days where they contemplate about this stuff, obviously, but the doubts they have aren't serious. I'm sure they're happy with each other and hopefully they're happy with their choices as well.
Phil gave Dan so many amazing opportunities (meeting and becoming friends with many new people and just getting tons of new connections through him, a job at bbc, etc, etc) and was one of his biggest inspirations to start youtube. and now that Dan outgrew Phil in numbers, he gets to return the favour.