Dan & Phil Part 54: Born in the fires of the internet

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
itsonlybeth
sofa crease

That was a fairly lovely video, I was really hoping he would get more into that debauchery he mentioned...especially if it involved himself, but I'm just being selfish and nosy.

Admitting that he got a taxi to Phil's to do washing is quite brave of him, I feel like? I didn't know which meeting story they were sticking to thus far but I guess that confirms it.

Also...I'm wildly happy that phanartists FINALLY have a decent reference for a shower scene (I can't be the only one whose mind turned dark there, surely).
~ fight me you ceramic bitch ~
liola
rankussy
Pronouns: she/her

That was great for so many reasons:

1) he made sure to talk about his own experience and not bash university and school in general, which a lot of people could've easily done. He actually gave helpful advices such as learn basic survival things before moving out. It should be obvious but my god it isn't for so many

2)The use of Phil :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: I loved it. Phil fake-punching Dan might be my new favorite thing. I love that he just easily shared that he went to do laundry at his place like it was no big deal and continued to do so for the entire year, it's just a brief glance at what we know was the beginning of their history of time spent together that I wish we knew more about.

i said it on twitter but was that Phil giving Dan a facial od vodka cause i'm here for that and you knew exactly what you were doing Danny

3) I love that he included a tweet asking about his sex life in university yet he didn't even mention the possibility of dating or having casual sex, and the only thing he included was a girl winking at him suggestively and how obvious it was he didn't consider it. This is like the tinder video lmao

All in all, I thought it would make me anxious because it was a talk about university but it didn't and it was really good, a Dan video I will for sure rewatch, hopefully when I'm done with school myself.
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
alastor
placenta

I'm mor excited for screenshot apartment analisys than the video itself, what happened to me...
(the video is okay, not something I would rewatch, but okay. I don't care abot universities that much.)
Awesomesauceness
phillion/danosaur <//3
Pronouns: She/her

I loved the video! The sketches were great, did anyone notice the difference from the sketches in the past? They are faster and more frequent, I think. Also, that Chinese guy with the meat cleaver is hilarious!! Cooking in china involves a lot of meat cleavers lol. As well as whole chickens. I remember when I first came to the US as an exchange student and I cooked for my dorm mates, they had the exact same reaction to me cooking as dan did to that kid! And poor guy probably had low alcohol tolerance or was allergic (a lot of Asians are I think) and completely lost his inhibitions. (*´-`)

I hope dan is ok!! Σ('◉⌓◉’)He mentioned social anxiety a few times as well as agoraphobia in this video, and I definitely don't think he was completely joking. Maybe this is the more open about mental health stuff he was mentioning? What do you guys think?
Rigby
lady door

LtrllySusan wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:27 pm Lovely video! Nice mix of story times, old video references, somewhat serious Comic Sans advice and great sketches - looking forward to the pixel by pixel analysis of the filming locations. Might be one of my favourite Dan vids, especially after I didn't like the recent ones so much.
Yes! I came to say exactly this. I really enjoyed this video and I'm looking forward to the analysis.

Also did anyone else feel a bit uncomfortable while watching the "down it, down it!" part or am I the only one here with a dirty mind? (I doubt it :lol: )
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Oh, that was good. I love that he called it what not to do like some of his old videos. I noticed the shorter, faster sketches too, makes it harder to catch it all (rewind, I guess), but it keeps the pace snappy. He packed a lot in, guess he hit on a good format after worrying which would suit it the best. The "down it!" moment was so unexpected, that really made me laugh. Also a terrifying aggressive book-snatching Phil in a hoodie and mean expression on his face. All the sketches were good, I love how Dan acts and seeing him re-enact them now as his older, bigger, curlier-haired self is quite funny anyway. The laundry at Phil's story is interesting, good solution really. I didn't get into the full social life at uni, but I managed pretty well with most things like laundry and clubs. Rower-Dan was hot, but it's a shame the guy put him off even looking around at the other clubs.

It's interesting that he told some of the same stories as were in Tabinof and that cheeky nod to his year after dropping out with Full Time Internet Hobo blurred out on the light box behind him. Also that he was a little serious a few times and mentioned a bit more about not liking going outside, and also how he exaggerates. It's his superpower indeed :hmmm:

He also looked cute as hell in that tshirt and his hair looks great. I've noticed that tshirt before, it fits him well. I like a tighter top on a guy, makes them look cuddlier and goodness knows I could cuddle Dan any time. Kinda sad how he popped in "people talk to me" about when he goes out. Again gotta wonder if they read here, he mentioned a few things people have just been talking about, or maybe we're not that psychic or clever and he just had those on his mind too after tweeting that while working on this video.

I think he is serious when he says agoraphobia or social anxiety, he jokes a lot, but not all the time and he changes his tone clearly enough, well I notice it, anyway. He doesn't joke about all that because he has no idea and is being a donk trying to relate to kids, he might be doing that a bit, but I've always thought it comes from his way of joking about his own experience.

Omg, I did not think of that about the vodka-pouring. Wow.
whelpkeeper
sad dimple
Pronouns: they/their

Lovely video over all, I really enjoyed it :love2: especially the sketches, I loved that!I do hope the board it the background becomes a regular thing, it's cute how there's a message just visible enough to make out, he could put some really interesting things in there in the future.

Not sure how I'm feeling about his casual agoraphobia mention yet (especially as someone who is legitimately struggling with that right now) I know he doesn't mean to just play it off as though it's funny to feel anxious or panicky every time you leave your home or safe zones, but I do hope it spurs him to take a more serious perspective on it in the future in a mental health video. The thing is if he doesn't actually have mental illness problems it's kinda shitty to joke about, esp. because he's literally on vacation right now but I haven't been able to travel more than maybe 50 miles out of my home in a while.

Still a great video with lots of re-watch potential, just something I think about sometimes- is implying he has some sort of mental health struggle honestly enough anymore? I think he should set the record straight instead of hinting and alluding all the time, it'd make me fee; better at least :shrug:
Last edited by whelpkeeper on Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The air soft as that of Seville in April,
and so fragrant that it was delicious to breathe it.
alch
ar·tic·u·late

Awesomesauceness wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:48 pm I hope dan is ok!! Σ('◉⌓◉’)He mentioned social anxiety a few times as well as agoraphobia in this video, and I definitely don't think he was completely joking. Maybe this is the more open about mental health stuff he was mentioning? What do you guys think?
He's mentioned social anxiety explicitly before in liveshows, like not even something that was really debatable, just a straight up "I have social anxiety." I think agoraphobia hasn't really been something he's talked about much, though he didn't seem to be entirely joking when he mentioned it. I'd be a little disappointed if this was the full extent of the mental health discussion he was suggesting, since he did say he might make a video on it.
onetruetrash
blobfish

flarequake wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:52 pm Again gotta wonder if they read here, he mentioned a few things people have just been talking about, or maybe we're not that psychic or clever and he just had those on his mind too after tweeting that while working on this video.
I noticed that too. I don't know it's just me, but I feel like they phrase things the same way we do sometimes if that makes any sense.

Dan also mentioned agoraphobia in his memes video for this year, so I don't think he's just throwing these words around to seem relatable.
AroboticPhil
sad dimple
Pronouns: she

I really liked this video ! The past few danny vids weren't that enjoyable for me but this one was very nice.
The storytelling + small sketches to illustrate format is usually the one that works better for Dan imo, the jokes were funny, quick and it didn't feel too forced or exaggerated. I liked it way better than the exams video, I thought it was more subtle and it was a good balance of advice/encouragement for ppl actually going to uni and classic dan humour.

Things I appreciated:
- he really is naturally very good at telling stories and editing
- all the appartment shots, can't wait for you guys to investigate the layout
- im weirdly intrigued by their balcony it looks so nice
- the mention of his relatable jokes as a coping mechanism + him explicitly mentioning agoraphobia and social anxiety, esp. after the discussion here the other day.
- he said that one common advice was "leave your door open it shows you're open too" and I'm pretty sure that's something phil said a few timea during liveshows ?
- the phil cameo was great, i wanna see the bloopers of that scene
- it's 100% normalised by now but hearing him mention he went to phil's flat often during his uni time feels like such a glowup idk
- is his bonzai dying ? poor lil thing looks bad :( :cactus: (or was it a fake one i dont remember lmao)
- full time internet hobo

It was also funny for me to see how different uni life is in the UK compared to where I live, I'm about to start my second year of uni and I couldn't really relate to most of his experiences.

(Other things that have happened lol :
I'm still laughing at the assagetti tweet, that's the kind of twitter content I want.
I hope they have a nice holiday and don't get stalked. We probably won't get as much holiday content as earlier this year but I do hope for a few selfies.
And I think Bryony is 100% entitled to blocking and responding however rudely she wants to people interacting with her because she's friends with deppy)
iero
phabergé

i enjoyed this video so much! i love hearing his uni experiences esp since im going to uni next year. i cant believe he used to do his washing at phil's place lmao. cute
Afunnyworld
sofa crease

While watching this video, it occurred to me that, technically Dan could use the IRL office to film in if he wanted...specifically this part.
if he wants to throw people off from the househunt he could totally use snippets of scenes filmed in other places to make it harder to figure out the layout. That might be a little extra for them tho. (also they're probably too lazy)
Last edited by Afunnyworld on Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SquishPhan
capita£ester

Dan’s new vid was enjoyable, though I couldn’t relate to any of it.
The sketches were fun as was the inclusion of Phil.
And it is always nice to get some new shots of their apartment.
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

aw, i liked the video! i think and appreciate that he managed to find the balance between storytelling (which i always enjoy most with him) and advice, with the advice itself balanced between funny/relatable and not coming off weird because he didn't have the most extensive and universal uni experience. i found it funny and interesting to hear! the last one was quite bizarre, could be the plot of an introspective short film. of course i also enjoyed phil's cameos and the return of the "protip" effect. the vid also raised two questions for me:
- am i making this up or did dan mention trying to call his grandma in a stressful situation before remembering she was at her sudoku club before? i got serious déjà-vu vibes from this part.
- "to this day, none of us know where he went" - does that mean he's actually still in touch with his university roommates?

apart from that, the video made me remember how i tried to talk to three people on my first day and then ditched the whole week of first semester activities after 45 minutes so it was really quite #relatable but i still don't understand how someone can not know that pasta needs water to be cooked. like the fact that it came dry out of the package should have meant something to dan.

edit:
AroboticPhil wrote:the mention of his relatable jokes as a coping mechanism + him explicitly mentioning agoraphobia and social anxiety, esp. after the discussion here the other day.
woops yes i forgot i wanted to say that too, i personally thought it was nice to hear him mentioning this in the introduction.
flarequake wrote:It's interesting that he told some of the same stories as were in Tabinof and that cheeky nod to his year after dropping out with Full Time Internet Hobo blurred out on the light box behind him.
ah interesting, can someone who read tabinof tell me which stories were actually completely new? because they were all to me. also the lightbox was distracting for me this time since i took almost the whole video to figure out what it said. when i finally did though, it made me laugh, so not complaining, it was a nice touch.

fancybum wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:46 pmlurker: that may not have been 100k but you really took me on a journey there, thank you
you're very welcome
SneakyLizard wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:13 pm
lurker wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:36 pman equivalent of the original fuckboy st. john rivers,
[Offtopic]
You are my favorite I love this so much and I can't stop laughing. :rofl: I'll never be able to read Jane Eyre without inappropriate cackling again![/Offtopic]
i'm glad i was able to bring this into your live!
Last edited by lurker on Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thank's you were great
alch
ar·tic·u·late

lurker wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:17 pm - am i making this up or did dan mention trying to call his grandma in a stressful situation before remembering she was at her sudoku club before? i got serious déjà-vu vibes from this part.
-TATINOF, page 52, Dan's university life: "I considered hiding by the fancy cheese and crying down the phone to my grandma, but I remembered she'd probably be at her Sudoku club at that time." Maybe this is where you remember that from?
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

alch wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:21 pm
lurker wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:17 pm - am i making this up or did dan mention trying to call his grandma in a stressful situation before remembering she was at her sudoku club before? i got serious déjà-vu vibes from this part.
-TATINOF, page 52, Dan's university life: "I considered hiding by the fancy cheese and crying down the phone to my grandma, but I remembered she'd probably be at her Sudoku club at that time." Maybe this is where you remember that from?
thanks for replying and looking up the quote! i never read tabinof though, so it can't be from there -- i distinctly feel like he said that in a video before...? maybe not the sudoku club specifically, but wanting to call her and then remembering an activity she did at that time :eh:
thank's you were great
malday
emo goose

fancybum wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:26 pm And A+++ use of Phil :lol:
10/10 use of Phil, the highlight was Phil punching him in the gut! give the man an Oscar!

Overall, I like the video. The sketches cutaways were pretty funny.
I like that he's back to linking the gaming channel on the endscreen, i know some people noticed he stopped doing it.
Afunnyworld wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:14 pm While watching this video, it occurred to me that, technically Dan could use the IRL office to film in if he wanted...specifically this part.
if he wants to throw people off from the househunt he could totally use snippets of scenes filmed in other places to make it harder to figure out the layout. That might be a little extra for them tho. (also they're probably too lazy)
I think that's the area where he films his videos, behind the semi-transparent glass, they showed it in the joint ls after moving in.
Bekah
tol bean

Loved the video and apart from living in halls (I took the easy way out and stayed at home) that summed up most of my uni experience of being anti social and crying for four years.
casualIDBstalker
drama llama

Ok so correct me if I'm wrong but Dan & Phil started talking in mid 2009 right, then eventually met up in October 2009. Dan wasn't in Uni yet when he first started stalking Phil so did he decide to go to the University of Manchester in 2010 partly bcuz Phil lived there & he would know at least 1 person & the convenience of having a place to escape to when he got too into his head therefore Phil could talk him down & comfort Dan when he needed it.

Also, the story about how they met being told differently based on the audience they are talking to could just be explaining to the people outside the phandom that don't understand or condone meeting random strangers off the internet so he's kinda using Uni as a relatable & more acceptable way of meeting someone bcuz some older generations still find it weird or unsafe. (A majority of my family thinking that way). Just my thoughts.
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

alastor wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:45 pm I'm mor excited for screenshot apartment analisys than the video itself, what happened to me...
(the video is okay, not something I would rewatch, but okay. I don't care abot universities that much.)
Yes me too! I haven't watched the whole video yet because since I saw this clip it made me realise the fridge from the Tinder spon opens the other way! I know someone said about using the IRL office to film but this deffo looks like the flat, the paint on the wall and the light fitting look the same. Do Deps have two kitchens or what?! Why does the fridge have nothing in it? And the wall is a completely different colour but fits in with the colour scheme of the flat!!!

(Sorry if the image is massive but im on my phone)

:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
Ticia
suspended
Pronouns: her / she

Fridge: I was extremely confused too, because not only it is empty, but also seems to be unused. Considering that Dan is taller than the fridge (according to that last screenshot), maybe it is a small fridge that they have installed in the gaming room?
drearyquery
drama llama

I liked that dan video much more than I've enjoyed some of his recent ones!
I'm going to leave the heavy room deductions to others but one thing I wondered was if some of it was filmed in their hotel. For example the cheese part looked to me a little like a mini fridge (bc of size and differences with tinder video and emptiness) and I know those are pretty common in hotels but not really for houses... unless it points to the kitchenette idea. However I'm not sure bc at least some of the sketches were filmed in their place and idk why he'd do them at different times. Either way I think it's worth remembering all shots miiiight not help with a floor plan
casualIDBstalker
drama llama

Maybe that's a fridge in the snug/slounge - the other side of the wall with the pixel mirror. I mentioned them potentially having 2 kitchens or a full kitchen upstairs & a wet bar in the snug room, so maybe that's the empty fridge, no point in keeping food in there if the main kitchen is upstairs & that's where they spend a majority of their time other than in the bedrooms/gaming channel room
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

A Dan video I genuinely fucking loved? In 2017? More likely than anyone thought. It was like old DINOF that I loved so much was back for a bit. It was entertaining and on brand yet he actually said some useful shit as well. More of that plz? :D

Signature sarcastic smartass commentary:

- Exterior shot of the balcony for all us creeps. Thanks sweetie. :love2:
- Dan actually putting a name to his fear of the outside? Progress is being made.
- I'm enjoying the thumbnail of College Dropout on his monitor.
- I see you displaying that comment asking about your uni sex life there Danny.
- "Useless parents!" and calling his grandma instead of them. The shade never ends.
- That fridge is emptier than my damn back account. Unless that Leerdammer was actually in there. Then my bank account is still emptier.
- I still don't fucking get how this absolute flop didn't know that you need water to boil things.
- Dan thought the LGBT club was quite interesting. All the Dan Is Straight believers are shaking.
- mugger!Phil and fresher!Dan AU phanfics are being written I can feel it ALSO NEW SHOT OF A HALLWAY WITH SNAZZY MIRROR THING :o
- Dan was only over at Phil's flat so much to use his washing machine guys. Phan is dead. (joking aside, I expected him to not mention Phil at all so I was pleasantly surprised at him not trying to :haru: it)
- DOWN IT DOWN IT DOWN IT
- No sketch cut away? Dan you're not dedicated enough to your art.
- "dancing" with the couch lmao you weren't getting that PG rating anyway hon
- "Everything else about being a student was awesome" wasn't what I got from this video but sure.

No but really. Such a good video.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I don't have a link or timestamp since I got this in an ask on tumblr, but apparently Louise is angling for Dan and Phil to do a baby video with her. According to the informative anon, she said:
I'm in talks with probably your favourite youtubers, D & P. Yeah yeah, gonna see if they wanna make a little cheeky baby video with me if we're free