Dan & Phil Part 55: DOWN IT! DOWN IT! DOWN IT!

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
sorryimnotclever
squish

[Offtopic]Generations are such a difficult topic to talk about, especially the more current ones because generations are usually seen as a group of people who experienced the same major events and lived life similarly. But because we haven't fully lived out some of these events, it's hard to place people in little boxes in that regard. Like there's still not really a clear border between generation Y and Z. I mean, I've seen some sources say gen Y is people born from 1980 to 2000 but I've seen others say gen Z started in the 1990s. It's also really weird because a lot of times it can depend a lot on geographic location. For example, in the U.S,
9/11 can be seen as a major turning point in how we live our lives but also how people grew up, so while that may be a major factor to consider when thinking about generations in the U.S, it might not be for other countries around the world. Generations are just really tricky in general because, like someone mentioned above me, it's not really regulated by one organization. And in regards to Gen Z, I've also seen it be called Post-Millennials, Homeland Generation, or Plurals. [/Offtopic]

Oh no why is my pointless waffling at the top of the page :backawayslowly: :backawayslowly:
go into
the night freely

and flourish
my child
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

snokoplasmic wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:52 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:04 pm - Phil and his anxiety dreams. I'm still so fascinated by this, and fascinated by how this is one thing that he seems to feel open about sharing. I would honestly be fine if ten minutes out of every liveshow was just dedicated to Phil telling us what he's dreamt about lately. The fact that most of them that we actually know about involve Phil having some measure of responsibility and failing/putting people he cares about in danger - and then the one from Scotland with Dan and Dan's mum? Or the one with the cat in the oven? If I had enough free time I'd try to pinpoint those dreams with things going on in their lives/Phil's life then.
i never really realized that, but now that you say it it reminds of that dream he had once where he accidentally killed a bunch of people on rollercoaster and the amusement park people punished him by sticking a pencil in his eye and he died. wow. think it was his video Worst Day Ever where he talks about it?
Hm... so let's take a walk down memory lane with Phil and dreams.

In included a few that were just funny, but for the most part - wow, that was enlightening. Phil definitely seems to have anxiety dreams on a regular basis.

(And he definitely stopped tweeting regularly about dreams around the same time his twitter turned more robo-Phil and less real-life-Phil.)
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:47 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:04 pm - Phil and his anxiety dreams. I'm still so fascinated by this, and fascinated by how this is one thing that he seems to feel open about sharing. I would honestly be fine if ten minutes out of every liveshow was just dedicated to Phil telling us what he's dreamt about lately. The fact that most of them that we actually know about involve Phil having some measure of responsibility and failing/putting people he cares about in danger - and then the one from Scotland with Dan and Dan's mum? Or the one with the cat in the oven? If I had enough free time I'd try to pinpoint those dreams with things going on in their lives/Phil's life then.
i never really realized that, but now that you say it it reminds of that dream he had once where he accidentally killed a bunch of people on rollercoaster and the amusement park people punished him by sticking a pencil in his eye and he died. wow. think it was his video Worst Day Ever where he talks about it?

In included a few that were just funny, but for the most part - wow, that was enlightening. Phil definitely seems to have anxiety dreams on a regular basis.

(And he definitely stopped tweeting regularly about dreams around the same time his twitter turned more robo-Phil and less real-life-Phil.)
Something just occurred to me. And let me preface by saying: I'm not a doctor and don't know, so this is just a thought and not an assumption.

Is it possible that all of these really vivid and weird dreams are results of a migraine medication? Phil has mentioned getting regular headaches/migraines and everyone I've ever known to take migraine meds has talked about their insanely vivid and stressful dreams. Could be that that's the case for him? Just a thought. Because I don't know many people otherwise who have such regularly intense dreams and nightmares.

I also think it's reasonable that the kinds of dreams he has are a result of his anxieties. I think we have a lot of evidence to conclude Phil is generally "the planner" amongst his friends and family (and Dan ;) ). As a planner myself, it definitely comes with its share of self-blame if anything goes wrong.

We also have stories from Phil about difficulty sleeping ahead of big events/interviews/what-have-you, right? So that's probs just his way of coping. I imagine the headaches don't help.

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:04 pm - His evasion of the Tom Daley mention. Is he uncomfortable with an attractive queer man flirting with him, because he's so set on separating sexuality from his public persona? Is he uncomfortable with anyone flirting with him, because he doesn't want the perception of being single or responsive? Phil let me in your brain please.
He's actively working to ensure none of us are shipping anything but Phan. If there's a rise in Phom shippers, there will be an equal and opposite decline in Dan and Phil Shop sales and we all know our favorite businessman can't have that. No, no. He'll wait until he's released the Phom speedos on tomandphilshop.com before he can proceed with the fan service we're all craving.
rainydays
sofa crease

rizzo wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:41 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:04 pm - His evasion of the Tom Daley mention. Is he uncomfortable with an attractive queer man flirting with him, because he's so set on separating sexuality from his public persona? Is he uncomfortable with anyone flirting with him, because he doesn't want the perception of being single or responsive? Phil let me in your brain please.
He's actively working to ensure none of us are shipping anything but Phan. If there's a rise in Phom shippers, there will be an equal and opposite decline in Dan and Phil Shop sales and we all know our favorite businessman can't have that. No, no. He'll wait until he's released the Phom speedos on tomandphilshop.com before he can proceed with the fan service we're all craving.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. But I think we need to properly adress the issue of the ship name. Phom is truly terrible and too similar to Phan.. the fans might get confused when it comes to buying the merch. I'd suggest something like Lestley maybe? I'm open to suggestions though.
Of course dan will only allow the lestley hysteria to spread until he turns 30 and starts freaking out, then phil will have to come up with a new idea to keep selling their shit to the kids, and that's when the dan-phil-tom polyamorous relationship will be revealed and cleverly marketed as PHANTOM.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

rainydays wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:46 pm
I wholeheartedly agree with this. But I think we need to properly adress the issue of the ship name. Phom is truly terrible and too similar to Phan.. the fans might get confused when it comes to buying the merch. I'd suggest something like Lestley maybe? I'm open to suggestions though.
Of course dan will only allow the lestley hysteria to spread until he turns 30 and starts freaking out, then phil will have to come up with a new idea to keep selling their shit to the kids, and that's when the dan-phil-tom polyamorous relationship will be revealed and cleverly marketed as PHANTOM.
Personally I'm willing to endorse this finance-driven ship just in the name of seeing Phil model the speedos on the tomandphilshop website.
alch
ar·tic·u·late

I will stan this ship purely for that pun. #phantom
casualIDBstalker
drama llama

This post is just my curious mind wondering what your opinions are, I don't want anyone to be mean or pick me apart bcuz I'm asking these questions.

1.)Do you think that Dan & Phil are honestly respected in the YouTube community? Do you think it's a majority of YouTubers that respect them or just the ones they know personally?

2.)Do you think that the YouTubers that do respect Dan & Phil potentially don't respect the fan base, especially when they infiltrate comment sections and spam? Do you think the fans will ever be seen as more than just fangirls?

3.)Do you think that anyone in the YouTube community sees them as overrated & resents them for the success they have bcuz maybe they don't understand why or how they are successful?

4.)Do you think that Dan & Phil feel disrespected by certain fans bcuz of how much some push the boundary of "needing" to know everything about them but are too nice to say anything about how much it actually bothers them? For example, stalkers at airports, out in public, the questions in live streams wanting to know where the other one is (every single time they do LS), the tweets, comments on Instagram - it's gotta be so overwhelming, intrusive & annoying.

5.)Obviously they are grateful to their fans for everything they have done to show support but do you think they maybe wished things were a little different, that they would change things if they could & live a life where the fans were less intrusive but still do YouTube?

I personally feel - in my opinion - that the pressure of keeping up with the wants/needs of the fans is maybe taking a toll on Dan & Phil to the point that they don't enjoy doing this as much as they used to. Especially in some live streams. Not saying that they are disingenuous but maybe just not as enthusiastic as they used to be. I couldn't imagine having to do videos for a solo channel and then having to do videos for the gaming channel and knowing I still have to do a live stream,
I'm sure that kinda bothers them that they have to schedule everything around videos and LS - I know they don't do LS sometimes but having that pressure from fans always asking or getting on them bcuz they didn't post a video that week or didn't LS has got to make them feel that the fans just don't appreciate what they do and understand that it isn't as easy as recording a video and posting it, so much more goes into it and yet they have been so consistant lately. I understand that is their career but I feel they do a lot more than most YouTubers yet they still get shit from some fans.

6.)With their creative minds, there are so many projects they could get involved with that wouldn't put them in front of a camera & put that pressure on them, so when do you think they'll step away from being in front of the camera & use their creativity in other avenues, other than the ones they are already involved in?

6.)What type of projects could/would you like to see them be a part of or create?

Not that I want them to walk away from YouTube bcuz I'm selfish & I enjoy watching them but when the time is right, I hope the pressure from fans doesn't deter them or make them feel bad for making that decision. I believe that will be the hardest decision either of them will have to make bcuz it has been such an important part of their lives and has brought so many opportunities to them, that when that day finally comes (in 20 more years :D ) it will be so bittersweet.

Anywho, sorry for the long post - just want to see what ya'll think.
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:04 pm It always makes me wonder what the difference in perspective here is between Dan and Phil. Obviously I think that they both consider each other their best friend, but privately I wonder if Phil ranks partner so much above friend/best friend that instinctually he separates Dan? Because this seems like mostly a thing Phil does.
My interpretation is that there is no difference in perspective, Dan just mentions friends and family far less often than Phil so there are fewer opportunities for this distinction in language that Phil seems to fall effortlessly into.

Thanks for the phil anxiety dream tweets- coupled with the liveshow anecdotes over the years it's definitely a regular feature of his psychology. someone brought up further up the page his assertion he's a planner- my question would be why. there seems to be a certain level of needing to be in control reflected in the planning, and then the anxiety about that control failing.
art in avatar by lily
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

alch wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:57 pm
I will stan this ship purely for that pun. #phantom

Guys, I have some bad news. That ship name has been taken:
We may need to rethink the business plan.
kuensukki
janice from the shop

Hello Ive returned to the motherland once more. FIRST OFF LESTLEY IS MY FAVORITE SHIP NAME. Also Tom and Phil is such a dream I cannot put in words how much I'd love for them to be a thing for like one day. Tom is the 8-pack brown haired man of his dreams that can roleplay all his captain america ripped shirt fantasies. Also he looks like the darker haired version of Tom's husband so Im sure they will both leave the experience satisfied but i digress....

Phil's liveshow was a treat last night. Honestly, most of the things he's been giving us have been treat. Him doing the boyfriend chooses my outfits tag in a clever way made me jump out of my bed and applaud his snekky ass. Also his selfie with quiff and sexy smile broke me for days. Im sure we are past this but I am excited and hopeful that they will actually choose cute clothes for phil and hipster phil will rise. Or atleast less of his graphic tees will be worn. His story with Louise, his general giddiness and smiles throughout, his clear indication of Dan being next to him at all times... yep that was something.

Now dream Phil to me has always been interesting. Queen Mandy has made a hefty compilation of all the dreams Phil has and what really stands out besides the planner anxiety which Rizzo analyzed perfectly :stan: :stan: :stan: is that he seems to have a very hero-like response to disasters. He will always put his life in danger and make sure that people who are in danger are safe, even if it means he's not. What's more interesting is that dream Phil shows a whole range of complex emotions that the Phil we see and know doesn't seem to display. What we know about Phil (Amazingphil, Phil Lester)is that he is a nice guy, smiles, is quiet and a bit reserved, loves his family, sometimes sassy, sometimes authoritative, someone who thinks outside the box, responsible, a planner but the complexity within those categories are so vague. They are characteristics that we know exist but are unsure of to what degree. So seeing him talk about these dreams and actually retelling everything he felt and feared is very refreshing.

The immediate response to helping someone and putting his life at risk, his fears and anxieties, its almost as if in his dreams he's living a part of himself that he wish he was in real life. Like the Phil we see will usually curl into himself or not react when something weird or horrible happens. He shuts off, like when the dad was screaming at him and dan he just stood there looking scared and unsure. He's mellow and non confrontational to the max so maybe his dreams show him a part of himself that he wish he resembled more. Someone who can take control of their emotions and surpass their internal fears to actually accomplish something that helps others. Or maybe I'm reaching.... :lol:

I loled at the image of him trying to kick the door of the car in his dreams and actually kicking dan off the moonbed in the process :rofl: :rofl:

ALSO I DIDNT KNOW THE EMOJIS ARE BACK :babuse: :elephant: :6-year-old dan: :phangoggles3: :phangoggles2: :phangoggles:
onetruetrash
blobfish

casualIDBstalker wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:44 pm1.)Do you think that Dan & Phil are honestly respected in the YouTube community? Do you think it's a majority of YouTubers that respect them or just the ones they know personally?
Well there are some Youtubers out there *cough*shane*cough* who don't seem to respect them and use them for views. The ones who know them personally seem to respect them though.
casualIDBstalker wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:44 pm2.)Do you think that the YouTubers that do respect Dan & Phil potentially don't respect the fan base, especially when they infiltrate comment sections and spam? Do you think the fans will ever be seen as more than just fangirls?
It doesn't seem like any there are any YouTubers except for a few that think fans are anything but mindless people who worship the ground their fave walks on.
casualIDBstalker wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:44 pm3.)Do you think that anyone in the YouTube community sees them as overrated & resents them for the success they have bcuz maybe they don't understand why or how they are successful?
I've never heard of any YouTubers like that, but hey, you never know.
casualIDBstalker wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:44 pm4.)Do you think that Dan & Phil feel disrespected by certain fans bcuz of how much some push the boundary of "needing" to know everything about them but are too nice to say anything about how much it actually bothers them? For example, stalkers at airports, out in public, the questions in live streams wanting to know where the other one is (every single time they do LS), the tweets, comments on Instagram - it's gotta be so overwhelming, intrusive & annoying.
I'm sure it bothers them quite a bit. I know Dan said in a liveshow around a month back that he was a paranoid person, so I'm sure the fans don't help. I wish they would just say something. They are two grown men and it's not that hard to say "hey can you not stalk us thanks". I know they don't wanna be mean, but there's nothing mean about that.
casualIDBstalker wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:44 pm5.)Obviously they are grateful to their fans for everything they have done to show support but do you think they maybe wished things were a little different, that they would change things if they could & live a life where the fans were less intrusive but still do YouTube?
I mean I sure would.
casualIDBstalker wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:44 pm6.)With their creative minds, there are so many projects they could get involved with that wouldn't put them in front of a camera & put that pressure on them, so when do you think they'll step away from being in front of the camera & use their creativity in other avenues, other than the ones they are already involved in?
I have no clue. Dan did say he wanted to be an actor when he was young and didn't Phil wanna be a movie director? So I could see them being involved in movies.
casualIDBstalker wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:44 pm7.)What type of projects could/would you like to see them be a part of or create?
I can't really think of anything specific
alch
ar·tic·u·late

onetruetrash wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:19 am
casualIDBstalker wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:44 pm4.)Do you think that Dan & Phil feel disrespected by certain fans bcuz of how much some push the boundary of "needing" to know everything about them but are too nice to say anything about how much it actually bothers them? For example, stalkers at airports, out in public, the questions in live streams wanting to know where the other one is (every single time they do LS), the tweets, comments on Instagram - it's gotta be so overwhelming, intrusive & annoying.
I'm sure it bothers them quite a bit. I know Dan said in a liveshow around a month back that he was a paranoid person, so I'm sure the fans don't help. I wish they would just say something. They are two grown men and it's not that hard to say "hey can you not stalk us thanks". I know they don't wanna be mean, but there's nothing mean about that.
I mean, even more explicitly there was that liveshow from 2015 (Jan 14th I think? I could be wrong) when he straight out said "please don't stalk us at airports" so I think that even them saying something won't really help
onetruetrash
blobfish

alch wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:47 am
I mean, even more explicitly there was that liveshow from 2015 (Jan 14th I think? I could be wrong) when he straight out said "please don't stalk us at airports" so I think that even them saying something won't really help
Good point, but not a lot of their fans even see their liveshows. It'd be a lot more effective it was a tweet or something.
whelpkeeper
sad dimple
Pronouns: they/their

:rainbowsparkle1: General thoughts on everything: :rainbowsparkle1:
Somebody PLEASE buy this domain name, I absolutely died laughing at the thought of it existing :rofl:

I mean this is a lot more insightful than my analysis. I dunno but I always feel sad when I hear that people get anxiety-induced nightmares; I usually sleep peacefully and deal with my anxiety during the day, so I'd hate to have to struggle with nightmares too because then I'd be anxious 24/7. I feel like dreams are a way of confronting real-life problems though so maybe this is Phil's way of dealing with his problems and coping. I guess it's a matter of perspective, whether or not nightmares ultimately good (as you face your problems) or bad (since they can exacerbate stress) :shrug:
casualIDBstalker wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:44 pm This post is just my curious mind wondering what your opinions are, I don't want anyone to be mean or pick me apart bcuz I'm asking these questions.
1.)Do you think that Dan & Phil are honestly respected in the YouTube community? Do you think it's a majority of YouTubers that respect them or just the ones they know personally?

2.)Do you think that the YouTubers that do respect Dan & Phil potentially don't respect the fan base, especially when they infiltrate comment sections and spam? Do you think the fans will ever be seen as more than just fangirls?

3.)Do you think that anyone in the YouTube community sees them as overrated & resents them for the success they have bcuz maybe they don't understand why or how they are successful?

4.)Do you think that Dan & Phil feel disrespected by certain fans bcuz of how much some push the boundary of "needing" to know everything about them but are too nice to say anything about how much it actually bothers them? For example, stalkers at airports, out in public, the questions in live streams wanting to know where the other one is (every single time they do LS), the tweets, comments on Instagram - it's gotta be so overwhelming, intrusive & annoying.

5.)Obviously they are grateful to their fans for everything they have done to show support but do you think they maybe wished things were a little different, that they would change things if they could & live a life where the fans were less intrusive but still do YouTube?

6.)With their creative minds, there are so many projects they could get involved with that wouldn't put them in front of a camera & put that pressure on them, so when do you think they'll step away from being in front of the camera & use their creativity in other avenues, other than the ones they are already involved in?

7.)What type of projects could/would you like to see them be a part of or create?
1.) I think most Youtubers must, at the very least, respect their ascendancy and the hustle. Surely any serious Youtuber knows how hard it is to grow and maintain a fanbase, so they must get plenty of kudos for that. I feel like the idea of them appealing to a "12-year-old girl" demographic (even thought DnP don't actively promote their content to that demographic) puts off some Youtubers, some more vocally than others.

2.) The most vocal fans often become the face of a fandom, and so the ones who actively spam other Youtuber's comments, are v intense, etc. end up appearing like a majority of the fans even though most are (hopefully) a bit more chill and sane. I think that most people, from an outside perspective, only see the crazy intense fans so I can see why some Youtubers would be turned off by that.

3.) lol anyone who thinks that is jealous :lol: who resents someone's success that they clearly worked hard to cultivate and maintain? I get thinking they're overrated if you don't like their content, but resentment is a bit much.

4.) Absolutely definitely 100%. Who wants intrusive fans? Everyone wants some degree of privacy, and the invasive stalker like activities of some fans is, as they've expressed in the past, something that absolutely bothers them. There's a difference between innocently analyzing things deppy post and show themselves, and going out of your way to find information they don't want shared or discovered!! (Part of why I don't participate in the house analyzing- yeah, they do have control of what they show, and even I want to see the kitchen; but piecing together the layout is one step too far for me personally, not shaming though!)

5.)Absolutely definitely 100% :lol:

6.) I wouldn't know about when, but it wouldn't surprise me if they produced a more serious book at some point (either jointly or individually). I think they'd be capable of it, and it'd hopefully give more insight into their genuine thoughts and beliefs on things without a heavy persona masking what their thought are.

7.) I don't really know, I think anything they're passionate about would be nice to see fleshed out into a larger project. :love2:
The air soft as that of Seville in April,
and so fragrant that it was delicious to breathe it.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

casualIDBstalker wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:44 pm This post is just my curious mind wondering what your opinions are, I don't want anyone to be mean or pick me apart bcuz I'm asking these questions.

I personally feel - in my opinion - that the pressure of keeping up with the wants/needs of the fans is maybe taking a toll on Dan & Phil to the point that they don't enjoy doing this as much as they used to. Especially in some live streams. Not saying that they are disingenuous but maybe just not as enthusiastic as they used to be. I couldn't imagine having to do videos for a solo channel and then having to do videos for the gaming channel and knowing I still have to do a live stream,
I'm sure that kinda bothers them that they have to schedule everything around videos and LS - I know they don't do LS sometimes but having that pressure from fans always asking or getting on them bcuz they didn't post a video that week or didn't LS has got to make them feel that the fans just don't appreciate what they do and understand that it isn't as easy as recording a video and posting it, so much more goes into it and yet they have been so consistant lately. I understand that is their career but I feel they do a lot more than most YouTubers yet they still get shit from some fans.

6.)What type of projects could/would you like to see them be a part of or create?

Not that I want them to walk away from YouTube bcuz I'm selfish & I enjoy watching them but when the time is right, I hope the pressure from fans doesn't deter them or make them feel bad for making that decision. I believe that will be the hardest decision either of them will have to make bcuz it has been such an important part of their lives and has brought so many opportunities to them, that when that day finally comes (in 20 more years :D ) it will be so bittersweet.

Anywho, sorry for the long post - just want to see what ya'll think.
Questions one and three: Yeah, I think they are. I think they're at that tier where they have a reputation and I think that reputation is positive. The fact that they're so insulated within each other means they've steered clear of a lot of the drama. On the topic of overrated, I have a feeling that most youtubers judge effort on a different level than we judge effort. The front end product delivered to fans is not the end-all and be-all of a youtube career. Also: they do work hard, if you consider them a unit. They put out 1.5-3 hours of content per week when you combine liveshows, main channel, and gaming channel videos.

Do other youtubers respect the fanbase? I think other youtubers are jealous of the fanbase, and derision is a common way that's expressed.

Do Dan and Phil feel disrespected by fans? I think Dan and Phil wish they had basic privacy standards, and the stalkers at airports falls into that. All the rest: why would they be bothered by social media interaction? It's literally their livelihood. So I'd wager that they're not bothered by comments, tweets, or livestream questions. In an ideal world maybe they wish fans approached them with different things, but a quiet and tamer fanbase vs an enthusiastic lucrative one... They live an above average quality of life for the number of work hours they put in, and even accounting for the personal toll that dealing with the public in the unique capacity in which they do it - I'm pretty sure they'd take the paycheck over the personal satisfaction

For that same reason, I do not think that they wished things were different. If they did youtube but without their current fanbase, they'd have to work five times as hard for the same financial outcome. You don't sell merch without the hype, you don't sell tickets without the hype, you don't get millions of views per video without the hype. Without fans, Phil would be Jimmy. (And we all know how devoted to Jimmy I am, but youtube isn't his day job.)

And the type of projects question... I feel like I don't have many specific thoughts, I sort of feel like I'm just along for the ride with them. I'll be interested in whatever they do. A YoutubeRed show seems most realistic (or Fullscreen, etc) based on what their peers accomplish - but not many youtubers have transcended past the level of online distribution series. I'd rather see them keep going forward slowly with small successes than try something big and bomb.
kuensukki wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:04 amThe immediate response to helping someone and putting his life at risk, his fears and anxieties, its almost as if in his dreams he's living a part of himself that he wish he was in real life. Like the Phil we see will usually curl into himself or not react when something weird or horrible happens. He shuts off, like when the dad was screaming at him and dan he just stood there looking scared and unsure. He's mellow and non confrontational to the max so maybe his dreams show him a part of himself that he wish he resembled more. Someone who can take control of their emotions and surpass their internal fears to actually accomplish something that helps others. Or maybe I'm reaching.... :lol:
mermaid blood wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:47 pmThanks for the phil anxiety dream tweets- coupled with the liveshow anecdotes over the years it's definitely a regular feature of his psychology. someone brought up further up the page his assertion he's a planner- my question would be why. there seems to be a certain level of needing to be in control reflected in the planning, and then the anxiety about that control failing.
I think you can look at it like he's taking on a hero role in his dreams, or else like he feels an abnormal amount of responsibility and his dreams exhibit his fear of failing at that responsibility. The fact that he's a planner does seem to be a bit of a control thing; he likes knowing things have been done a certain way, so he does them himself... but that means if things fail, they fail because of him.

It also makes me think of moments like the movie theater story where the guy tripped - Phil feeling a level of responsibility, wanting to buy the guy a drink even though he already had one, and even though nothing about the situation was Phil's fault. He seems very prone to anticipating situations that might make him anxious but his brain goes way overboard with those scenarios and makes it into a life or death thing with the people he love being the ones at stake.
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

I have nothing to add re: the liveshow aside from what everyone has already said, besides that I was surprised Phil watches Rick and Morty. Given what he'd previously said about it, and the way that Dan had talked about watching it, I assumed it was a rare example of a show that Dan had watched alone. Alas, I am a fool who should never have made such a bold assumption, of course they ended up both watching it. Silly me.

Re: Anxiety dreams - I'm also someone who gets intense, stressful dreams a lot, and I'm not on any medication or anything. My mum, grandma and aunts are all the same, it's just a weird thing that happens to us. I think it's difficult to pinpoint a reason behind the cause as we don't really know a lot about what goes on in his life, but given that Phil says his stress tends to arise in times where he is in charge of organising something on behalf of other people it would make sense to me that the dreams reflect his need to be in control, and a fear of letting others down.

Re: Questions from casualIDBstalker - I very much agree with pretty much everything dizzy said, you articulated it a lot better than I could. Question 6 though is one that I've thought a lot about. As much as I will always be happy for all of Dan and Phil's successes, and I very much support them in their creative endeavours, speaking personally I don't think I will glean any sort of entertainment out of anything they produce that is scripted. I have no interest in watching anything in which they play characters that are not themselves (or even, that are themselves but are fully scripted). This just comes down to personal taste, but it's why I still haven't managed to make it through tatinof. I don't know why this is really, just that above all I'm here for Dan and Phil themselves, or at least the filtered versions of themselves that they portray online.

I fully recognise that even their youtube videos are roughly scripted, and are edited carefully to portray a very pointed, deliberate version of themselves, but I find that more appealing than I do the idea of something like a scripted tv show or film. Having said that, I'll be genuinely very happy for them if that is what they're working on, and I recognise that they don't exist to cater to my every whim. It's just that I'm mostly here for (what I perceive as) their more authentic interactions, which is why their gaming channel and joint videos will likely always remain my favourite content they create.
alch
ar·tic·u·late

onetruetrash wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:26 am
alch wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:47 am
Good point, but not a lot of their fans even see their liveshows. It'd be a lot more effective it was a tweet or something.
That's true, but I think most of the fans that are dedicated enough to go through airport security to meet them probably watch their liveshows.
autumnhearth
senpai

casualIDBstalker those are great questions. I personally don't watch many other YouTubers. I've only recently started watching Jimmy on my own and PJ with my husband. These questions do remind me of felucca's massive playlist of YouTubers mentioning Dan and Phil. A lot of the videos are unfortunately Onison (who seriously creeps me out, so I avoid all of those) and Shane, then you have casual mentions from PJ and Chris, but there's some interesting stuff in there. This one stood out to me:

Loving the dreams convo, though I have very little to add. I agree with many of your thoughts on Phil's personality. I do have lots of anxiety dreams, mainly about school (I haven't been in school for almost a decade) but also the occasional horror dream. I used to have those much more frequently, accompanied by hallucinatory sleep paralysis, which is awful.
leaveimreading wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:00 pm I'm not sure if anyones pointed this out yet (and im like 3 days late), but I felt like contributing this to the reflection posts:

At around 31 minutes in Dan's most recent liveshow, he picks up a candle, giving us this view:
https://imgur.com/x6LK3ij

And then he puts the candle down, resulting in a second reflection shot
https://imgur.com/NjPuAsE

It seems like he notices though and looks at the glass after he puts the candle back.
I wasn't going to bring up the reflections as I feel like I fulfilled my creep quota this month, but since you brought it up... I think these shots show a bit more:

The first and second image seem to show a white wall, possibly rounded, with a vent on top, that I think is inbetween the kitchen and piano nook. I think a bit of the kitchen can be glimpsed on the left of the first image's reflection. This seems to line up with the peek of kitchen we got in the previous Dan ls.

The second image keeps making me think I see some of their glass panel stair bannister things, but I think it could just a weird reflection with the window. I don't know.

The third image is from later in the show when he is checking if he got a notification for trending. The dark area confused me at first. I thought it was a wall of shelving with big dark canisters on it, like at a coffee or tea shop. Then I realized it's probably just the DVD/book shelves of the piano nook. I think I also see a grey club chair, like in Phil's Twitter pic on Dan's birthday and perhaps the furry grey foot floof.

This all is much closer to somethingsketchy's floorplan than mine. So kudos to them!
Lastly I just wanted to mention that my son is really excited for Phil's next video. Yes, Phil is his favorite, but Dan is his fashion icon. The last few times he's gone shopping he's picked out clothing items with Dan in mind (a black denim jacket, black boots with zips, grey, black and white canvas shoes, long black and white plaid shirts, skinny jeans and charcoal grey shirts) and he can often be heard saying "I think Dan would like these [jeans]". He also wears long sleeves, dark pants (he's never been a fan of shorts) and jackets on warm days and claims he would rather look fashionable than be comfortable. (This is not really true, he's super sensitive and can't stand tags.) Some of the outfits he puts together are really cool. He's eight...
Phantasy
woodland creature

Sorta off-topic from anything being discussed, but I was playing around with a hair color changing app (fun night) and tried a few shades on Phil... results below!
What I was really trying to do was match his natural hair color that d&p refer to as “mousy brown”, but I don’t think that description is quite right, because in certain lights it also seems to pick up a bit of red, not full “ging”, but definitely some traces.

Phil’s natural hair...
Image Image

Base reference: Phil’s suspiciously black hair (almost as if it was obtained by supernatural means)...

Medium Reddish Blonde (intense strawberry blonde-ish)...

Lightest Golden Brown (not too far off—what I suspect ‘mousy brown’ actually looks like)...

Light Reddish Brown (closest match for his eyebrows, I think)...

Light Caramel Brown (also a close match)...

Intense Red Copper (so intensely ginger it’s sure to make Dan swoon!)...

What do ya’ll think, any winners? I’d totally love to see him go back to his natural hair color (or just push back the fringe! :twisted:)—if Phil had a thought his natural color was somehow boring, I’m sure Fabrizzio can punch it up with his magic (some highlights perhaps?).

(not suggesting how Phil should live his life, just a bit of AU fantasy boredom!)
alch
ar·tic·u·late

Phantasy wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:23 am Sorta off-topic from anything being discussed, but I was playing around with a hair color changing app (fun night) and tried a few shades on Phil... results below!
What I was really trying to do was match his natural hair color that d&p refer to as “mousy brown”, but I don’t think that description is quite right, because in certain lights it also seems to pick up a bit of red, not full “ging”, but definitely some traces.

Phil’s natural hair...
Image Image

Base reference: Phil’s suspiciously black hair (almost as if it was obtained by supernatural means)...

Lightest Golden Brown (not too far off—what I suspect ‘mousy brown’ actually looks like)...

What do ya’ll think, any winners? I’d totally love to see him go back to his natural hair color (or just push back the fringe! :twisted:)—if Phil had a thought his natural color was somehow boring, I’m sure Fabrizzio can punch it up with his magic (some highlights perhaps?).

(not suggesting how Phil should live his life, just a bit of AU fantasy boredom!)
I actually find the light browns nicer-looking than I expected, maybe I was just expecting any time Phil has his natural hair color it's going to be paired with his 2007 hair. Not the biggest fan of the outright ginger, but that's just me.
I'm wondering now what Phil would look like with a natural hair quiff
SneakyLizard
butt chair

Ooh, interesting hair color pictures. I think the caramel is probably closest to the real thing, if you account for natural highlights and color variations. My own natural color is very close to that first 2007 picture, but it has changed drastically from when I was a kid. I was a very light auburn-meets-strawberry blonde till I was about 8, then darkened into reddish chestnut and now it's more of a medium brown with auburn highlights. I think that's probably what happened to Phil as well, looking at those baby videos and early school pics.

I use henna glaze to punch up my red tones because I never feel like myself with brownish hair, so I understand where Phil is coming from with his preference for black. I do think he'd look great in his own color though, if he took good care of it.
we walk among you
actualsoulmates
dank meme

Question: some people are passing around that Dan used to have an NSFW tumblr and it's still up. Does anyone have any idea about it? Or is it most likely fake?
:prideheart2: once in twenty lifetimes :biheart:
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Phantasy wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:23 am Sorta off-topic from anything being discussed, but I was playing around with a hair color changing app (fun night) and tried a few shades on Phil... results below!

Phil’s natural hair...
Image Image

I always wondered why there weren't more Phil hair photoshops! Thanks, this was pretty interesting to look at. Do you think you could run those filters over a more naturally lighted photo? I really hate dislike that photo, don't find it very flattering.
sorryimnotclever
squish

I always wondered why there weren't more Phil hair photoshops! Thanks, this was pretty interesting to look at. Do you think you could run those filters over a more naturally lighted photo? I really hate dislike that photo, don't find it very flattering.

Is this any better? Chrome is being dumb so I had to upload them to a (random) Instagram (sorry about that) (and about formatting, I'm really bad at this) :backawayslowly:

go into
the night freely

and flourish
my child
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

Brown hair looks so good on him, oh my god. :shock: I'm glad he's happy with his black hair and all but a lighter shade does suit him very nicely too.