Current NEWS Thread

hmm
drama llama
Pronouns: she/her

hunnyftw wrote:
confetti-j wrote: How long are your election cycles? I'm just used to slogging through half a year of Political marathoning so the cycle isn't awful, to me at least.
Our political campaigns last around 3-4 months. But only the last 2 months are really intense.
In Australia the election must last between 5 and 8 weeks- haha in my view thats plenty of time, esp because we have a federal election every 3 years
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Damn America, I know you want to be best at everything and all but couldn't you let the UK have the win for Worst Democratic Decision Of 2016?

Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Anonymousse
flower crown
Pronouns: Any

I'm LIVID, and so is everyone around me (And I'm not from the USA)

He is a threat to the well-being of the entire world...

I just couldn't believe he was serious - I thought this was all a big joke.

But who the fuck am I kidding? I'm mostly just the rotting banana peel at the bottom of the phan trash can who genuinely gets excited over the thought of them snuggling in bed. Idgaf let a bitch live
- Manged

DryCereal
koi pond

IckleMissMayhem wrote:Trump and Brexit go hand in hand leading us all down the road to hell.

Let's hope we wake up to good news tomorrow, unlike June 24th.
Well... FUCK.
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
Skeletorsrighthand
living flop

im not really an expert on politics or anything but lets just hold our breath's until he actually does something bad as a president. ( i know it doesn't look like a great start its like starting at the bottom of the well) i had doubts about our countries president too but so far i have no qualms against him ( though he could be a bit more gentile).
How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
DryCereal
koi pond

Anyone know if they can invoke the 25th amendment on a president-elect?
cold-tea
delia smith

I hate how some people around me are saying not to worry because I'm not in America.
we're neighbours with America, US is our bingest trading partner. Anything trump does will affect Canada greatly (and most of the world).
helvetica
sofa crease

I'm soo fucking pissed Trump is a garbage human and Pence is worse so we can't impeach him RIP all of the good Obama has done
hunnyftw
phabergé

LOL, America. wtf.
Seriously, with Brexit, my own country's catastrophic elections a year ago and now this fucking disaster I'm slowly but surely loosing faith in people's intelligence. I understand being pissed at the mythical beast called "establishment" but... is this the solution? He isn't a standard politician but apart from that how is he not a part of establishment?
cold-tea wrote:I hate how some people around me are saying not to worry because I'm not in America.
we're neighbours with America, US is our bingest trading partner. Anything trump does will affect Canada greatly (and most of the world).
Yeah, agree. America is very far away geographically (hi from Europe!) but let's not be lying to ourselves: we live in a small world indeed and the USA is the biggest superpower. ugh.
nephilimcat
woodland creature

I tried to tell myself that it won't really matter yesterday, but there were actual tears in my eyes when I read the news this morning, thinking it was some sick joke. I may be cynic and pessimistic, but at least I had hope. If I don't believe in humans, I at least hope that they surprise me. But they didn't. Of course not. This is truly devastating. To everyone who voted for Hillary or wasn't able to vote: I'm so sorry, especially if you're part of a minority. Hang in there :therethere: To everyone else: :rage: :sideeye:

Everyone talked about it at uni. My lecturer is American, so she was pretty invested in it. It was very interesting to listen to her. She mentioned that we (this generation) tend to be very idealistic. Which is technically good, but if we use the "All or Nothing"-method, we often end up with nothing. And that's so true, it's sad that many of us don't seem to understand. Let's see what the future holds for us. It's not like this is just an American problem: the Brexit in the UK, the AfD in Germany, the Front National in France, etc. - it's happening in Europe too. And we can't blame corruption and dictatorship. It's in our hands. So if you don't vote or vote with your heart instead of your head, I'll end you. I don't want Frauke Petry as the next chancellor, I'd rather keep Merkel forever and I can't stand that woman.
pulvis et umbra sumus
loststars
living flop

I want to throw up.. This is insane and honestly, pretty scary. If so many people want to follow a racist, sexist, climate-change-denying, idiotic, finds-his-own-daughter-hot piece of s**t....... How in the hell?

But yeah, nephilimcat, you're right, it's seen here as well... :(
(c)itscomicdans
DryCereal
koi pond

Interesting reading...
hmm
drama llama

nephilimcat wrote: It's not like this is just an American problem: the Brexit in the UK, the AfD in Germany, the Front National in France, etc. - it's happening in Europe too.
mmmffff we have a politician like that called pauline hanson- she's been around for 15 years, everyone has always thought of her as crazy, this year she won 4 senate seats uhhhh

Not only is she super bigoted and racist (banning muslim immigration) but like she's also nuts. She hates squat toilets and said “It’s not just a matter of dollars Wade. It starts with toilets and ends with costing us our Australian way of life.” :x :x :x :x
in the 1990's she gave a speech saying 'we are in danger of being swamped by asians', this year she said 'now we are in danger of being swamped by muslims'
i mean, this woman gave a toast to donald trump after his win
mmmmffff sorry for the long rant its just these bloody idiots are gaining power all across europe, in australia, in america and its so frustrating
excuse me as a retreat to cry :cry:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

nephilimcat wrote: It's not like this is just an American problem: the Brexit in the UK, the AfD in Germany, the Front National in France, etc. - it's happening in Europe too.
The Netherlands is slowly gearing up towards election time right now and the PVV has been leading the polls for the longest time and unless some real weird shit happens they're gonna win in March :(

Doesn't help that all the left wing parties continue to be mostly hopeless and incompetent, and that any coalition that could be formed into a government is gonna be shit just like our current mess of Labour and conservative 'liberals' :sideeye:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

Canada's immigration website has apparently been crashed since last night. Can't say I blame people for wanting to leave, but I'm worried that the US election is just going to empower the alt-right here as well. Already we have a candidate for our Conservative party who has described Trump's win as "exciting", and thinks his message is "one that we need delivered in Canada as well."
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Catallena wrote:
The Netherlands is slowly gearing up towards election time right now and the PVV has been leading the polls for the longest time and unless some real weird shit happens they're gonna win in March :(

Doesn't help that all the left wing parties continue to be mostly hopeless and incompetent, and that any coalition that could be formed into a government is gonna be shit just like our current mess of Labour and conservative 'liberals' :sideeye:
CPR on this thread to come back to the Dutch elections that took place yesterday. Prayers were answered and the PVV did not win the elections, VVD (conservative liberal) won instead. My faith in democracy has been restored a tiny little bit and Europe hasn't gone to shit entirely yet. I hope other European countries wake the fuck up as well.

Now the VVD is still really shit so I'm not exactly happy or anything, but at least I won't get Wilders as prime minister. Plus VVD doesn't want to form a coalition with the PVV (who are now the second biggest party.. still fucking terrifying) so let's hope they'll come up with a different solid combination of parties that will last the full 4 years and PVV goes back to whining and being racist about everything in opposition. But yeah, it's probably still gonna be pretty shit.

I voted Pirate Party after all (though Party for the Animals had been an option as well) but sadly they weren't able to get a seat. Mildly bitter about that ngl.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Catallena wrote:
Catallena wrote:

CPR on this thread to come back to the Dutch elections that took place yesterday. Prayers were answered and the PVV did not win the elections, VVD (conservative liberal) won instead. My faith in democracy has been restored a tiny little bit and Europe hasn't gone to shit entirely yet. I hope other European countries wake the fuck up as well.

Now the VVD is still really shit so I'm not exactly happy or anything, but at least I won't get Wilders as prime minister. Plus VVD doesn't want to form a coalition with the PVV (who are now the second biggest party.. still fucking terrifying) so let's hope they'll come up with a different solid combination of parties that will last the full 4 years and PVV goes back to whining and being racist about everything in opposition. But yeah, it's probably still gonna be pretty shit.

I voted Pirate Party after all (though Party for the Animals had been an option as well) but sadly they weren't able to get a seat. Mildly bitter about that ngl.
Thank you (and enough of your fellow citizens!) for making your country a light in the darkness! (Still very dark over here in the old U S of A :sobs: )

Now just hoping France, for example, pays attention.....
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
arequian
crusty sponge
Pronouns: they/them

Catallena wrote:CPR on this thread to come back to the Dutch elections that took place yesterday. Prayers were answered and the PVV did not win the elections, VVD (conservative liberal) won instead. My faith in democracy has been restored a tiny little bit and Europe hasn't gone to shit entirely yet. I hope other European countries wake the fuck up as well.

I hope you guys end up with a good/as-good-as-it-can-be government, I had seen news about the PVV gaining traction so I'm happy they didn't win (really, Wilders sounds scary). In Spain we ended up with the shittiest possible option after an "unexpected" coalition (and almost three elections), it seems like all around the world we're choosing terrible leaders :(
annetamiau
lady door

Completely off-topic but today, we (Catalans) are trying to hold a referendum to decide whether we want to be independent from Spain. Said referendum has been banned by the Spanish government, which has been repressing freedom of speech these past few weeks, blocking websites that support the referendum and seizing ballot boxes and voting papers. We wanted what Scotland had, but the Spanish government has answered today with brutal police repression, injuring even elderly people. We are peaceful people and we are not afraid. We just want to vote. It's a shame that we get policeofficers smashing glass doors instead. I hope people read about this, because it's really serious and I think it's high time the world stopped turning a blind eye.

Updates in English:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 75901.html
Behind every great person, there is a great cat
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

annetamiau wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:39 am Completely off-topic but today, we (Catalans) are trying to hold a referendum to decide whether we want to be independent from Spain. Said referendum has been banned by the Spanish government, which has been repressing freedom of speech these past few weeks, blocking websites that support the referendum and seizing ballot boxes and voting papers. We wanted what Scotland had, but the Spanish government has answered today with brutal police repression, injuring even elderly people. We are peaceful people and we are not afraid. We just want to vote. It's a shame that we get policeofficers smashing glass doors instead. I hope people read about this, because it's really serious and I think it's high time the world stopped turning a blind eye.

Updates in English:
I have been following and thinking of all of you! The only part of Spain I have been to is Catalonia--I spent a week in Barcelona with an American friend who had lived there and knew Catalan (better than Spanish), so I was able to feel a real connection to a beautiful part of the world. So anyway, I have great affection for your region country. :lilheart:

I am so sorry the Spanish government is dealing with this so brutally and repressively. I have faith that you all will eventually prevail and vote on your own destiny, but it may well be two steps forward, one step back. :platonic:
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
nephilimcat
woodland creature

annetamiau wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:39 am
Completely off-topic but today, we (Catalans) are trying to hold a referendum to decide whether we want to be independent from Spain. Said referendum has been banned by the Spanish government, which has been repressing freedom of speech these past few weeks, blocking websites that support the referendum and seizing ballot boxes and voting papers. We wanted what Scotland had, but the Spanish government has answered today with brutal police repression, injuring even elderly people. We are peaceful people and we are not afraid. We just want to vote. It's a shame that we get policeofficers smashing glass doors instead. I hope people read about this, because it's really serious and I think it's high time the world stopped turning a blind eye.

Updates in English:
I've heard about this in the news, it's really horrible. Police brutality is way too normalised. I'm not surprised Spain wants to keep Catalonia and we all know what tends to happen when the government doesn't like something that would bring major changes. Hang in there, guys :love1:

To lighten up the mood: today is the first day same-sex couples are allowed to marry in Germany :2022: :prideflag: It's finally happening, I'm so glad. Took long enough as well.
pulvis et umbra sumus
annetamiau
lady door

Thank you for your posts, @LeftHandedism and @nephilimcat. We're all shocked and horrified here. Military police smashing glasses, dragging women by the hair, kicking elderly people. Firefighters defending voters from the Spanish police. It's not even about independence any more, it's basic human rights. I just hope Europe doesn't ignore this blatant case of police brutality and how undemocraticly the Spanish government has been acting.

And @nephilimcat, I'm really happy about same-sex marriage in Germany! Congrats to you guys :love2:
citizen_erased
truth bomb

annetamiau wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:04 pm Thank you for your posts, @LeftHandedism and @nephilimcat. We're all shocked and horrified here. Military police smashing glasses, dragging women by the hair, kicking elderly people. Firefighters defending voters from the Spanish police. It's not even about independence any more, it's basic human rights. I just hope Europe doesn't ignore this blatant case of police brutality and how undemocraticly the Spanish government has been acting.

And @nephilimcat, I'm really happy about same-sex marriage in Germany! Congrats to you guys :love2:
I don't know exactly what's happening other than the very basics, but the news from Catalonia today looked absolutely terrifying. I hope you and your family/friends are ok! Last I saw there were over 700 injured because of police brutality? That's insane and horrifying.

To all Germans: congrats!! I was so happy to see you finally get same-sex marriage too. Well done Germans :prideheart:
annetamiau
lady door

Thanks, citizen_erased! :love2:

That's the response from the European Comission, turning a blind eye once again. We simply want to vote, and the Spanish government refuses to allow a binding referendum. It's all a matter of political will. It makes my blood boil that this is Europe's response, especially when more than 700 peaceful voters were injured (one of them, an erderly man who suffered a heart attack after being hit by a Spanish police officer, remains in critical condition). This tweet sums up how I (and many Catalans, regardless of their view on independence) feel. I just wish someone cared about what's happening here. This is just one of the videos filmed yesterday and shared on social media. Peaceful, unarmed people of all ages who wanted to vote being kicked and dragged by the hair. Screams of fear. There are dozens of other videos like this one. I was at another polling station, this could have happened to me. It's all very surreal.
nephilimcat
woodland creature

Wtf is wrong with the police and Europe!? If they get away time and time again, it's not surprising they lose all their inhibitions. The police shouldn't be some invincible bully that can attack unarmed people just because of stress or frustration or whatever. Sure, being a police officer isn't always easy but it doesn't give you the right to be violent. If you can't handle situations like this, you shouldn't be one.
I'm glad you're okay at least <3
pulvis et umbra sumus