Current NEWS Thread

akui
blobfish
Pronouns: She/Her

- Iceland PM resigned
- UK PM says he ain't got nothing offshore
- 6 documents leaked showing Putin's biffle is using lithuanian bank to launder money in Panama
- Chinese government spokesperson is haruing about the leak
sweetmm
angel bean

akui
blobfish

Still getting harassed every week. :?
sweetmm
angel bean

akui wrote:
You mean spammers???
DryCereal
koi pond
Pronouns: she/her

akui wrote:- UK PM says he ain't got nothing offshore
...and he never benefited from his father doing so...

Honestly, this one could run and run...
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
akui
blobfish

sweetmm wrote:
akui wrote:
You mean spammers???
Yep, just random ppl sending me ads and stuff
grazieninseenot
smol bean

IckleMissMayhem wrote:
akui wrote:- UK PM says he ain't got nothing offshore
...and he never benefited from his father doing so...

Honestly, this one could run and run...
a russian musician (Putin's friend apparently) said he was just collecting donations for children's hospitals and new instruments, that none of the money actually was his etc.
he said,the only kind of rich he is, is rich with talent...
Cora
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: She/Her/Ugh

Can I just say how awesome this is?

http://piratetimes.net/top-candidate-fo ... s-elected/

Ancilla van de Leest, the nom winner, is also known as Ancilla Tilia. She's a well known BDSM fetish model.
We worked with her a bunch at one of my former jobs. Not only does she have great boobs, but she's incredibly nice. Awesome to see her doing this kind of stuff (and being part of a nation that doesn't judge her for that)
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

cora808 wrote:Can I just say how awesome this is?

http://piratetimes.net/top-candidate-fo ... s-elected/

Ancilla van de Leest, the nom winner, is also known as Ancilla Tilia. She's a well known BDSM fetish model.
We worked with her a bunch at one of my former jobs. Not only does she have great boobs, but she's incredibly nice. Awesome to see her doing this kind of stuff (and being part of a nation that doesn't judge her for that)
Yeah it's really cool :D Great to hear she's a nice person as well. I hope she brings the Pirate Party back into the spotlight. They seem to kinda disappear when there's no election going on, you really have to follow them actively to know what they're up to which isn't helping their position. I'm not sure whether they'll have my vote again next year (though the alternatives look depressing) but I'm pretty excited about this.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
SquishPhan
capita£ester

There has been another attack in France, Nice this time. I just want to say R.I.P. to all the victims and that my thoughts are with their family and friends and everyone who has been affected by this.
bear
hobbit hair

SquishPhan wrote:There has been another attack in France, Nice this time. I just want to say R.I.P. to all the victims and that my thoughts are with their family and friends and everyone who has been affected by this.
I heard the news and burst into tears. Why is waking up to this normal? Why is this happening? Why don't I feel safe in my home anymore? The world is such a f*cking mess and I'm done with this.
Winston
flower crown

SquishPhan wrote:There has been another attack in France, Nice this time. I just want to say R.I.P. to all the victims and that my thoughts are with their family and friends and everyone who has been affected by this.
Terrible news. This is getting too normal an occurrence. I am in charge of the flags at work and I feel like every other day I have to have them lowered. Pretty soon they will just be at half staff on a permanent basis. These poor people. All of them that have been hit with violence lately, my heart goes out to them and their loved ones. So sad. It is getting harder and harder to focus on the good people and things of the world when there is so much bad roaming around. :(
actions speak louder than words
Winston
flower crown

All those in Munich take care!
actions speak louder than words
DryCereal
koi pond

BBC News Article - "NSPCC Warns YTers over fan relationships" OK, At first when I saw this article my first thoughts were: "Bit late, aren't you?"

Now I've thought about it... it's a bit fucking rich of the BBC to be bringing up past sexual abuse stories about people who should know better taking advantage of fans. And I'm honestly livid.
helvetica
sofa crease

It's Election Day in the United States today!
visiblelurker
delia smith

confetti-j wrote:It's Election Day in the United States today!
oh god.
helvetica
sofa crease

visiblelurker wrote:
confetti-j wrote:It's Election Day in the United States today!
oh god.
What do idbers in other countries think about the election? or in other states? Over here most people agree that Hilary's the obvious choice, but even in my California town there are some Trump supporters.
hunnyftw
phabergé

I'm from Europe and genuinely terrified by it all. Terrified by the two final choices, terrified AF that Trump will win and irritated that although the choice will inevitably affect me (the USA being a superpower and all that shiz) I have absolutely NO control over it. Sometimes being the control freak that I am is HARD maaan ;)

Also, your presidential campaign is just so bloody long! Especially when you count the primaries in. It's just a never ending story and if I were a voter I'd get totally sick of this madness after 3-4 months.

That actually brings me to my questions for you: do you and the people you know get tired of it? If so, how long does it take you? If no, why the hell not? Generally, what are your feelings and thoughts about the whole election cycle?
helvetica
sofa crease

hunnyftw wrote:I'

That actually brings me to my questions for you: do you and the people you know get tired of it? If so, how long does it take you? If no, why the hell not? Generally, what are your feelings and thoughts about the whole election cycle?

Oh yes I'm definitely tired of it, the whole country is tired of it, but this election in particular being so theatrical and dramatic (and memeable) I'm actually less tired of it, you know? Usually its kinda boring tax stuff and policies and I'm just tired of the same old speeches. Now I'm still tired of the Politics, but the anticipation of what kind of Hell Hole this country will land in keeps my interest lmao.

Its completely(!)scary how close Donald Trump is from living in the White House, and while Hilary isnt as bad (and its great that shes a woman), shes kinda sketchy too. Mostly its scary how many people chose these guys to begin with, and how fervid and ignorant the population is in supporting Trump.

Also, the popular vote isn't what actually decides who's going to be president even though a lot of people think it is. The electoral college ( a group of random people representing each state) is who actually decides, so I'm hoping that they choose wisely.

How long are your election cycles? I'm just used to slogging through half a year of Political marathoning so the cycle isn't awful, to me at least.
DryCereal
koi pond

Trump and Brexit go hand in hand leading us all down the road to hell.

Let's hope we wake up to good news tomorrow, unlike June 24th.
hunnyftw
phabergé

confetti-j wrote: Also, the popular vote isn't what actually decides who's going to be president even though a lot of people think it is. The electoral college ( a group of random people representing each state) is who actually decides, so I'm hoping that they choose wisely.

How long are your election cycles? I'm just used to slogging through half a year of Political marathoning so the cycle isn't awful, to me at least.
Yeah yeah, I'm aware of the electoral college system. Hope I'm not offensive but it's another aspect of your elections that I find a little bit... bizarre? Maybe that's not the best word. Let's say unique ;) And I'm not sure I find it very fair. I guess it's historically motivated and every other election system has it's downsides and allows for some degree of unfairness but this one seems particularly icky to me... the possibility that somebody wins the overal popular vote but loses when it comes to the number of electoral college votes (like Al Gore if I'm not mistaken)? No, thanks. I'll take my country's "proportional" system (which is 90% proportional and 10% fucked up lol) anyday. But maybe it's just a case of "my is better because it's mine and I'm used to it" ;)

Our political campaigns last around 3-4 months. But only the last 2 months are really intense. You literally can't walk to your local shop and not see 10 different politicians on 10 different posters semi-legally stuck to lampposts or some poor trees. In theory they're obligated to clean it up after the election but in practice they almost never do it well. And then for the next 2 months we literally tread on the remains of the posters and leaflets that are scattered everywhere. Yuck! Rant over ;)
nephilimcat
woodland creature

confetti-j wrote: What do idbers in other countries think about the election? or in other states? Over here most people agree that Hilary's the obvious choice, but even in my California town there are some Trump supporters.
Honestly, Trump reminds me of Hitler, similar tactics, similar morals. Apparently people don't learn from history.

But in general, I think the world is doomed anyway. Some stupid nation will fire nuclear weapons one day or terrorists will attack a nuclear power station or something like that and that's it. No matter who wins. Obviously I still hope it's Hillary, but I'm just saying that there's always some moron. Yes, I'm aware that that's a cynical and pessimistic world view, but look at the history. Humans have always been stupid and did anything for power. The difference is that nowadays it will affect (almost) the whole world.
pulvis et umbra sumus
mio
#relatable

Are there any tendencies yet? I'm scared. :?

As somebody not from america I could never imagine that people actually support such a trashpile of a human being (and I don't even need to talk about his actual political views here..)

But I watched the react video the Fine Bros did a few days ago and it made me really uncomfortable how many of the people from their videos say they'll vote Trump.. Also the lengths they go to to excuse his behavior is impressive.
trigger warning: sexual assault, sexism ...who would have guessed.
On the topic of election culture, I'd say here the whole thing is much less personified. Most of the time the personal details of the candidates aren't a big deal unless there is a huge scandal and most people vote because of parties and not bc of the candidates (I think?), though a strong/weak candidate can have an impact.
~ IT'S A HORSE SUSAN ~
helvetica
sofa crease

Right now Trump is winning (heeelllppp :facepalm: ), but theres still a long way to go *fingers crossed* \
according to polls Clinton will win, but that small chance is still terrifying
helvetica
sofa crease

hunnyftw wrote:
Hope I'm not offensive but it's another aspect of your elections that I find a little bit... bizarre? Maybe that's not the best word. Let's say unique ;) And I'm not sure I find it very fair. I guess it's historically motivated and every other election system has it's downsides and allows for some degree of unfairness but this one seems particularly icky to me... the possibility that somebody wins the overal popular vote but loses when it comes to the number of electoral college votes (like Al Gore if I'm not mistaken)?
lmao yeah the college is a very outdated system can be definitely manipulated in horrendous ways, no offense taken (on my part anyway) :D
and mio, I'd say that a lot of people vote based on parties here too (which is messed up in its own right), this election seems to be especially personal tho, I agree