Dan & Phil Part 57: Pinky and the Brain

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Whommel
sofa crease
Pronouns: They/them

I loved this video so much. There's a lot I can take from it and use personally.

And I'm so impressed how he balanced the funny and the serious so perfectly.

It really is an incredible video on all levels IMO. <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

Loafer wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:41 pmAlso, I liked the return of the vase glass. And does anyone know what picture they have of them in their kitchen? It looked familiar but I can’t place it.
Pretty sure it's this!
iero
phabergé

i've only just watched dan's video and wow, i'm so proud of him
i had already suspected that he has mental health issues but he shared so much and i feel like i've learnt a lot of new things about him. he was so open/raw especially talking about taking antidepressants and going to therapy. his openness helps give myself and others confidence and the fact he expressed himself so eloquently without shame really helps shake off the stigma.
since i started watching dan i've felt like we have a lot in common and damn i found this video really comforting to see him in a better place.
jaej
moon room
Pronouns: he/they/idm

one of my fave things about the video was the fact that he acknowledged things like exercising and drinking water and sleeping well as things that help. not cures, and things that can definitely be difficult, but things that help and that you need to push through even on some days when you don't want to.

a lot of mental health help i've seen on social media and stuff these days is very like... "if u sleep all day and do nothing and eat unhealthily because depression u are valid" and rather than coming across as "it is fine if you can't be your best self every day, you can't always go for a jog" it's like "mental illness makes it hard to do things and eating healthy isn't going to cure u anyway so you don't have to do it". i've seen it said by people in the phandom, so i'll be happy if mentioning those things as positive things you should try to do makes the "we can't all be neurotypical!!!! this is V A L I D" crowd stop turning people looking for things to help think they can't be helped
my name is jaejmine masters and i have something to say. dan and phil have fucked up japan :japhan:
phil lester threw the first brick at stonewall, we love a queer icon :biflag:
Loafer
sofa crease

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:38 pm
Loafer wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:41 pmAlso, I liked the return of the vase glass. And does anyone know what picture they have of them in their kitchen? It looked familiar but I can’t place it.
Pretty sure it's this!
Thank you! That’s amazing.
obscureDnPreference
procrastinator
Pronouns: she/her/hers

SneakyLizard wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:32 pm
Loafer wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:41 pm Also, I liked the return of the vase glass. And does anyone know what picture they have of them in their kitchen? It looked familiar but I can’t place it.
Didn't even notice that the first time! That is hilarious! He managed to be so genuinely funny despite the topic and how personal and delicate it is. I am still, after four viewings and a good nights rest completely overwhelmed by how fond I am of this man. Hope he's feeling nothing but good and proud after the fact -- the response is so huge on such a personal topic that it may be a bit overwhelming. I trust Phil to take good care of him but damn, its got to be a lot to take in. I think the picture is art from a Russian fan, saw it on tumble somewhere.
I really like your sentence about your fondness for Dan. That's the prevailing feeling I have at the moment. I really hope he got a good night's sleep and is taking care of himself. I'm sure it's a massive relief to share this part of himself, but also massively overwhelming. I'm overwhelmed by the response for God's sake! I am interested to see if they in fact do a gaming stream tonight. I wouldn't care if they didn't because self care is more important than anything.

EDIT: I was going to comment on the glass vase! I was already crying by that point in the video but laughed at that. It felt a bit like an inside joke. But with 100,000 other people.
"This is not children's television. I'm 26, I'm depressed, and I need edgy jokes to cope with my anxiety."
Daniel Howell, 10/30/17
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

It's amazing to see what positive response this video has gotten. If Dan wasn't already proud of sharing this story, he can surely be proud seeing how much this video impacted people.

So I was curious to see how the video performed number-wise so far and I went on socialblade:

Why on earth are more people unsubbing than subbing after this video? D:
It's not YT cleaning up inactive accounts cause those days are visible across all Youtubers (Phil's sub count for comparison).
DatCog
blobfish

I think I saw it mentioned on another YouTuber's channel that it is quite normal to have unsubscribers after posting a video if it's a channel that posts intermittently because very casual subscribers are reminded of the channel's existence and, for whatever reason, decide to opt out of the subscription. Not sure if this makes sense!
obscureDnPreference
procrastinator
Pronouns: she/her/hers

LtrllySusan wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:35 pm It's amazing to see what positive response this video has gotten. If Dan wasn't already proud of sharing this story, he can surely be proud seeing how much this video impacted people.

So I was curious to see how the video performed number-wise so far and I went on socialblade:

It's not YT cleaning up inactive accounts cause those days are visible across all Youtubers (Phil's sub count for comparison).
I'm always interested by numbers and I think my first post on this forum was actually about this very issue (I think it was the tinder video). I think it was generally agreed upon that people unsubscribe when they see a video from someone they don't watch anymore in their feed and then unsub. It happens with a lot of YouTubers but generally the losses are small. At least that's what I've noticed

DatCog beat me to it!
"This is not children's television. I'm 26, I'm depressed, and I need edgy jokes to cope with my anxiety."
Daniel Howell, 10/30/17
malday
emo goose

LtrllySusan wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:35 pm It's amazing to see what positive response this video has gotten. If Dan wasn't already proud of sharing this story, he can surely be proud seeing how much this video impacted people.

I'd say it's the people who subscribed for funny skits and meme videos who are not interested in more serious content. But i wouldn't be too worried, if you look at the detailed statistics, the subs number is climbing again.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

A couple more youtubers publicly reacting:
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

I want to add my voice to the chorus of how good that video was and how much I admire and respect Dan for doing it. <3 It's also so lovely to read through the pages of posts here and see how moved and happy everyone is. So nice to see new posters join and old posters return! :lilheart:

Like some people, I was very careful to watch the video, go away for a couple of hours, and watch it again before reading any commentary on it. It was definitely a great experience to listen to and absorb what Dan had to say rather than being half-distracted by trying to find particular timestamps or make particular insightful observations. And then, I was ready to come here and appreciate the discussion. :ribena:

I am incredible fortunate that, while I'm hardly free from mental health issues, I have not experienced such depression. I do have a close friend who suffers from severe clinical depression. In no way do I mean to detract from the suffering of the person with clinical depression, but dumping popcorn on someone's face day after day can be difficult in of itself.

I am sure Dan has, as he implied, built a network of support--I don't think he could have reached such a good place by relying on just one friend--but obviously Phil is the one who has been there day in and day out. What a wonderful testament to their relationship, that Phil has stuck with him, and that Dan has let him--depression can make someone push people away pretty hard (eg, by disappearing without your phone).

I think it would be so interesting for Phil to make a companion video about his side of the story. Don't ever expect to see it, of course (but we didn't expect Dan's video either). It would probably be way too intimate for Phil to ever feel comfortable doing, but it could be really helpful. Dan includes a great bit in his video about reaching out to friends for help, and of course, if someone is a friend, they want to help if and as they can. But the part that Dan is not the best one to speak to is how to help someone--especially your life partner--without getting sucked into that hole yourself, which obviously helps no one. Phil would be the perfect person to address that. :platonic:
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
liola
rankussy

LeftHandedism wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:43 pm
I think it would be so interesting for Phil to make a companion video about his side of the story. Don't ever expect to see it, of course (but we didn't expect Dan's video either). It would probably be way too intimate for Phil to ever feel comfortable doing, but it could be really helpful. Dan includes a great bit in his video about reaching out to friends for help, and of course, if someone is a friend, they want to help if and as they can. But the part that Dan is not the best one to speak to is how to help someone--especially your life partner--without getting sucked into that hole yourself, which obviously helps no one. Phil would be the perfect person to address that. :platonic:
I was just talking about it earlier. I'd love to see Phil's pov on this situation, to not only give advice to people that are close to someone experiencing mental illness but also because it would sure be full of warmth and pride about Dan's accomplishment with his own demons.

For example, Alfie has spoken about how it feels to watch Zoe go through her anxiety attacks - never exploiting it, just sometimes answered questions about it during a q&a or when prompted and it always warmed my heart the way he just said it was hard for him to watch her go through it because he loves her but also how proud and happy for her he is when he sees how far she's come.

I know his pov isn't the focus and I doubt Phil would ever make a video about it but I'm almost sad we will get a gaming live stream instead of a live show because I would've been curious to hear even a small acknowledgement from him. I've only just recently started letting my best friend in with my mental health issues and only after I had a panic attack in front of her, and I would love to share with her the pov of someone close to the issue but still outside, you know?

I'm still incredibly proud of the video and the response it's getting, even though it made me realize how much down I am in my own road. That said, I'll take it as inspiration because the positive message is the core.
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
opendoor
rainbow nerd

The video made me so emotional- like I can't stress how important it was to me.
Him turning depression from an unspoken thing to a spoken thing was so powerful- both him opening up to people in his life, and opening up to his audience.
And the fact it was on a public forum to millions of people is so unbelievably brave I can't even.
Everytime I think about the fact that he is better now, that everything he did worked (with the disclaimer that you have to keep fighting and there are bad days etc) I feel so happy for him and so hopeful for myself.
With the exception of meds, I'm doing everything he said to in the video, and it's just made me hope hope hope. So well done Dan.
I miss Dan Howell's stupid face.
parallel
phabergé

I'm not sure if this even goes on IDB or if I should just tweet it on my rant twitter or something, but it's related to the video.

I've been feeling a strangely strong envy since the video came out. Because, and I know that this is wrong to think, but Dan's in such a good place in terms of his life. If I was a millionaire with a long-term partner who loved me as much as they loved each other, I think I'd be a lot happier. And I can relate to what Dan's saying in the video, and I'm so proud of him for coming out about this, but I can't shake that feeling of envy and the irrational voice saying "yeah, well I have it worse". I know it's completely stupid and that you can be incredibly privileged but still depressed/have anxiety/have another MI, but there's just that part of me that's uncomfortable with him talking about depression in the past tense.

I dunno. I've been in a kind of strange mood since Dan's video. I really do love the video and I'm super proud and super happy for Dan, but there's just something jarring about a multi-millionaire talking about antidepressants and therapy, and something which makes me wish that I could swap places with him. Because I feel like, in his place, I'd still have bad days, but I could probably go on with daily life otherwise. And I just feel weird about it. I know that I have no right to feel like this because it's not Dan's fault and I'm not upset with him, don't take it the wrong way. I know that wealth and an SO won't fix things, but it just makes me feel jarringly jealous.

Sorry if this is off-topic, since it's mostly about my own feelings rather than the video. Feel free to ignore this or whatever.
SneakyLizard
butt chair

emerald wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:50 pm I'm not sure if this even goes on IDB or if I should just tweet it on my rant twitter or something, but it's related to the video.

I've been feeling a strangely strong envy since the video came out. Because, and I know that this is wrong to think, but Dan's in such a good place in terms of his life. If I was a millionaire with a long-term partner who loved me as much as they loved each other, I think I'd be a lot happier. And I can relate to what Dan's saying in the video, and I'm so proud of him for coming out about this, but I can't shake that feeling of envy and the irrational voice saying "yeah, well I have it worse". I know it's completely stupid and that you can be incredibly privileged but still depressed/have anxiety/have another MI, but there's just that part of me that's uncomfortable with him talking about depression in the past tense.

I dunno. I've been in a kind of strange mood since Dan's video. I really do love the video and I'm super proud and super happy for Dan, but there's just something jarring about a multi-millionaire talking about antidepressants and therapy, and something which makes me wish that I could swap places with him. Because I feel like, in his place, I'd still have bad days, but I could probably go on with daily life otherwise. And I just feel weird about it. I know that I have no right to feel like this because it's not Dan's fault and I'm not upset with him, don't take it the wrong way. I know that wealth and an SO won't fix things, but it just makes me feel jarringly jealous.

Sorry if this is off-topic, since it's mostly about my own feelings rather than the video. Feel free to ignore this or whatever.
Honestly? This is exactly why I loved the video so much. I'm objectively doing well in a lot of ways, and often feel irrationally guilty for struggling mentally given that others have it worse in day to day life. Seeing him, as successful as he is, talk about his depression with such candor and realizing I don't judge him in the least, or feel as if he should be healthy because of his success, makes me realize how weird it is that I would think those things about myself. It's brain function, chemistry and trauma and years of repression. Having food/shelter helps but doesn't fix those things. I was so encouraged by his circumstances and story.

He definitely wasn't talking about depression in the past tense. I appreciated that as well. This shit stays with you even when you fight it. But he encouraged me and so many other people to not just coast but keep working to be as healthy as we can even knowing there will be relapses, and that's awesome.

I'm sorry you're struggling a bit. It's understandable, and it sounds like you do know that those feelings aren't helpful or even necessarily true -- maybe you just need some time to process? I get jealous of him too sometimes, for other reasons but y'know, that's how humans work. I'm trying to date again and figure out how to come out to my dad because I envy his relationship and want something that good. You can use those feelings to still make positive changes for yourself. Hope you feel better soon :love2:
we walk among you
Internet Homo
smol bean

Can I just briefly interrupt your intellectual discussions to ask if anyone could see what the candles on his laptop cake spelled out
goldenmermaid
drama llama

Internet Homo wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:15 pm Can I just briefly interrupt your intellectual discussions to ask if anyone could see what the candles on his laptop cake spelled out
They spelt bday!
parallel
phabergé

SneakyLizard wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:06 pmHonestly? This is exactly why I loved the video so much. I'm objectively doing well in a lot of ways, and often feel irrationally guilty for struggling mentally given that others have it worse in day to day life. Seeing him, as successful as he is, talk about his depression with such candor and realizing I don't judge him in the least, or feel as if he should be healthy because of his success, makes me realize how weird it is that I would think those things about myself. It's brain function, chemistry and trauma and years of repression. Having food/shelter helps but doesn't fix those things. I was so encouraged by his circumstances and story.

He definitely wasn't talking about depression in the past tense. I appreciated that as well. This shit stays with you even when you fight it. But he encouraged me and so many other people to not just coast but keep working to be as healthy as we can even knowing there will be relapses, and that's awesome.

I'm sorry you're struggling a bit. It's understandable, and it sounds like you do know that those feelings aren't helpful or even necessarily true -- maybe you just need some time to process? I get jealous of him too sometimes, for other reasons but y'know, that's how humans work. I'm trying to date again and figure out how to come out to my dad because I envy his relationship and want something that good. You can use those feelings to still make positive changes for yourself. Hope you feel better soon :love2:
I also loved that it showed that, no matter the circumstances, mental illness will be mental illness. The rational and conscious part of me is super proud of Dan and loves the video, I just feel... I dunno, not like he shouldn't have made the video because he should have and he definitely has a right to talk about depression. I guess I just get into strange moods sometimes.

And yeah, by past tense I meant that he's "better", because he's still gonna have bad days and his lows are going to be lower than a neurotypical person's lows, but if he can get off antidepressants and if he can manage to do 7 hours of exercise per week, I'd say he's doing about as well as a depressed person can do.

I don't have a problem with anything he's done, and while I'm happy on the whole for him, I'm just a little uncomfortable. And I know that doesn't make sense and that there's no rational reason to be upset. I don't know. I'm not trying to make a point, just felt like venting my feelings. Of course I'm still super supportive of Dan and loved the video <3 I guess you're right about needing to process things a bit more.
SquishPhan
capita£ester

Probably played their board game.
nigel ratburn
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

i'm pretty convinced that this is for the party game, and i'm excited! (less excited about hazel, but what can you do)
sorryimnotclever
squish

SquishPhan wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:02 pm
Probably played their board game.
Man I really hope it's their board game!! It probably went well too with Phil's face hurting so much from laughing. It must be really nice to hang out with friends and play games after having to upload such a stressful/important video yesterday.
go into
the night freely

and flourish
my child
mathsniel
drama llama
Pronouns: he/him

SquishPhan wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:02 pm Probably played their board game.
Definitely betting this is the board game.

It might not be Cordelia and Martyn, but Hazel's collabs with Phil are great because of the ease between the two of them, and Tomska is a good laugh, so I'm excited for this!
liola
rankussy

I'm like 100% sure the collab is for their new board game and I'm excited for it but wow my dreams of Martyn and Cornelia on the gaming channel are dead.

Also omg i'm happy for a Phil liveshow, I'm really not expecting him to talk about Dan's video but how can he not really. I'd also love for Dan to pop in a little bit but what can you do.
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
Ewok
rainbow nerd

Phil liveshow, yay :love2:

I'm hopeful he will talk about Dan's video a bit, obviously nothing in depth (ha!) but ya know. Acknowledging his role in being there for Dan during his recovery and whatnot. Looking forward to seeing him today!

Also seconding the "meh" Hazel opinion, lol. I'm here for anything TomSka does, though. I'm also convinced its for their game (4-8 players and all that) so yay!
»»-————𝓯𝓵𝓸𝓹𝓹𝔂 𝓭𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓭𝓸𝓷𝓰————-««