Dan & Phil Part 57: Pinky and the Brain

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
onetruetrash
blobfish

human wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:26 amAnd I just think Hazel has an unpleasant attitude, both online in general and about other creators, and also in real life from the one time I met her.
Care to share?
annoying dog
crusty sponge

onetruetrash wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:42 am
human wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:26 amAnd I just think Hazel has an unpleasant attitude, both online in general and about other creators, and also in real life from the one time I met her.
Care to share?
Yes... Tell us more :daddy:
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

DatCog wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:46 pm I think I saw it mentioned on another YouTuber's channel that it is quite normal to have unsubscribers after posting a video if it's a channel that posts intermittently because very casual subscribers are reminded of the channel's existence and, for whatever reason, decide to opt out of the subscription. Not sure if this makes sense!
obscureDnPreference wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:48 pm
LtrllySusan wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:35 pm It's amazing to see what positive response this video has gotten. If Dan wasn't already proud of sharing this story, he can surely be proud seeing how much this video impacted people.

So I was curious to see how the video performed number-wise so far and I went on socialblade:

Why on earth are more people unsubbing than subbing after this video? D:
It's not YT cleaning up inactive accounts cause those days are visible across all Youtubers (Phil's sub count for comparison).
I'm always interested by numbers and I think my first post on this forum was actually about this very issue (I think it was the tinder video). I think it was generally agreed upon that people unsubscribe when they see a video from someone they don't watch anymore in their feed and then unsub. It happens with a lot of YouTubers but generally the losses are small. At least that's what I've noticed

DatCog beat me to it!
malday wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:52 pm
LtrllySusan wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:35 pm It's amazing to see what positive response this video has gotten. If Dan wasn't already proud of sharing this story, he can surely be proud seeing how much this video impacted people.

So I was curious to see how the video performed number-wise so far and I went on socialblade:

Why on earth are more people unsubbing than subbing after this video? D:
It's not YT cleaning up inactive accounts cause those days are visible across all Youtubers (Phil's sub count for comparison).
I'd say it's the people who subscribed for funny skits and meme videos who are not interested in more serious content. But i wouldn't be too worried, if you look at the detailed statistics, the subs number is climbing again.
(Belated) thanks for the answers guys! That makes a lot of sense.

I agree that Phil was very reserved when talking about Dan's video - he made it sound like every other DINOF vid: serious but also funny, oh and filming this scene was especially great. Though I expected something along the lines of "I am very proud of him for posting it", I fully respect his decision not to give a more personal opinion. Adding his perspective would probably reveal too much information regarding the nature of their relationship. And although the selfish curious person in me would love to know what exactly made Dan "get rid of the baggage" and seek professional help in 2014, if we never find out and focus on how positive things are rn, then that's fine by me too.

Something slightly more relevant: Shouldn't they be posting the game reveal & collab on Wednesday the latest? Else people will go to stores on Thursday and find a D&P game that they have never heard about. ...Unless they have a seperate announcement and collab video, though that would surprise me. If someone is already watching your annoucement, you wanna show them right away how fun it is. I guess we'll hear more hints in the gaming stream tomorrow. Or maybe a surprise party with 4-8 guests :lol:
DatCog
blobfish
Pronouns: she/her

LtrllySusan wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:14 pm
Something slightly more relevant: Shouldn't they be posting the game reveal & collab on Wednesday the latest? Else people will go to stores on Thursday and find a D&P game that they have never heard about. ...Unless they have a seperate announcement and collab video, though that would surprise me. If someone is already watching your annoucement, you wanna show them right away how fun it is. I guess we'll hear more hints in the gaming stream tomorrow. Or maybe a surprise party with 4-8 guests :lol:

This is what confused me too - surely they have to announce the game before it goes on sale! I suspect there will be an separate announcement (perhaps both will announce it in Dan's ls on Tuesday?) in addition to the gaming collab on the Thursday.
obvsly
#relatable

Hi guys! *Phil's wave* Long time lurker, first time poster here. I've actually been here since the halloween baking vid last year but never thought my English would be good enough to communicate. So please let me know if I'm doing or saying anything wrong! :mrgreen:
LtrllySusan wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:14 pm I agree that Phil was very reserved when talking about Dan's video - he made it sound like every other DINOF vid: serious but also funny, oh and filming this scene was especially great. Though I expected something along the lines of "I am very proud of him for posting it", I fully respect his decision not to give a more personal opinion. Adding his perspective would probably reveal too much information regarding the nature of their relationship.
I agree with LtrllySusan for the most part but I don't really think the reason why Phil didn't offer a more personal opinion was to avoid relationship topic? I just think Phil doesn't talk much about personal stuff in general. He would tell us stories about his family and friends, but he would also be very careful to keep them "stories." He doesn't discuss them. I'd say he thinks it's not his place to talk about it in details, especially because mental illness is such a personal and sensitive object to begin with. I'd love him to talk about it more as well but I kinda like it that this is his decision. ;)
DatCog
blobfish

We The Unicorns again :roll:
Welcome obvsly :welcome:
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

obvsly wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:21 pm Hi guys! *Phil's wave* Long time lurker, first time poster here. I've actually been here since the halloween baking vid last year but never thought my English would be good enough to communicate. So please let me know if I'm doing or saying anything wrong! :mrgreen:
LtrllySusan wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:14 pm I agree that Phil was very reserved when talking about Dan's video - he made it sound like every other DINOF vid: serious but also funny, oh and filming this scene was especially great. Though I expected something along the lines of "I am very proud of him for posting it", I fully respect his decision not to give a more personal opinion. Adding his perspective would probably reveal too much information regarding the nature of their relationship.
I agree with LtrllySusan for the most part but I don't really think the reason why Phil didn't offer a more personal opinion was to avoid relationship topic? I just think Phil doesn't talk much about personal stuff in general. He would tell us stories about his family and friends, but he would also be very careful to keep them "stories." He doesn't discuss them. I'd say he thinks it's not his place to talk about it in details, especially because mental illness is such a personal and sensitive object to begin with. I'd love him to talk about it more as well but I kinda like it that this is his decision. ;)
:welcome: Thts grt nm y hv thrr! (Wow English has more vowels than I thought)

I don't disagree - relationships are a personal topic for sure. I think if he had shared any more personal insights, e.g. how the more difficult times were from his perspective, or how he is trying to be there for Dan, people would immediately strap on their Phan goggles.

Oh, and mega-eye-roll at the unicorn article. Wonder how long it'll be online .
kindofatrashcan
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: She/Her

DatCog wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:38 pm We The Unicorns again :roll:
Oh god :roll: sometimes i want to just.. burn wetheunicorns to the ground. (wow... violence) no, but really Why?! so desperate for clicks are they?

Also... Welcome! obvsly :love1:
obvsly
#relatable

Thanks, DatCog, LtrllySusan, and kindofatrashcan!

I just found I wrote 'object' when I meant to say 'subject.' Great first post, me. Oh well. :roll:
obscureDnPreference
procrastinator
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Ugh. That site. I was proud that I hadn't seen anything about the game since that first day.
"This is not children's television. I'm 26, I'm depressed, and I need edgy jokes to cope with my anxiety."
Daniel Howell, 10/30/17
DatCog
blobfish

obscureDnPreference wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:57 pm Ugh. That site. I was proud that I hadn't seen anything about the game since that first day.
Happy for the mods to put in a spoiler if needed! Can't remember if it's been posted outside spoilers here or not. Am tempted to order it for £13.99 plus free delivery from one of the sites they linked to :lol:
obscureDnPreference
procrastinator

DatCog wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:01 pm
obscureDnPreference wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:57 pm Ugh. That site. I was proud that I hadn't seen anything about the game since that first day.
Happy for the mods to put in a spoiler if needed! Can't remember if it's been posted outside spoilers here or not. Am tempted to order it for £13.99 plus free delivery from one of the sites they linked to :lol:
I'm not a person to worry about spoilers personally. I was just happy that we were keeping it at least somewhat quiet so the fun isn't lost for Dan and Phil's announcement!
"This is not children's television. I'm 26, I'm depressed, and I need edgy jokes to cope with my anxiety."
Daniel Howell, 10/30/17
BSV
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

I really like this laid back approach they've got to this game coming out! I feel like some people hate the whole 'We've just launched this thing, go buy its great!' but I feel like its a more Dan themed 'yeah we've got this thing, you don't have to get it, but if you want it, it's there' It's quite nice and refreshing (i may be eating my words once it comes out haha)
Isn't it obvious (this is directed at we the unicorns) that the Truth Bombs box is there on purpose in the back ground of Hazels picture? I don't think its a mistake at all, they would have looked at the picture before it was posted? Obvs it being in the shops already is a bit more awkward and i would guess as a result as some kind of problem? I guess we can see that through the Big Potato Games announcement though :)
secretagentphan
procrastinator

Okay so I rewatched Phil predicting Dans future and now that we know he just got off/in the process of getting off his meds it makes so much more sense. Phil got really excited when Dan’s card said he overcame something really hard (paraphrasing) and then Dan’s reaction was like “no way you’re making that up!” Idk i thought it was really sweet now that we know what was going on because Phil seemed so proud. :philtrash:
IamMe(Ayame)
tol bean

secretagentphan wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:22 pm Okay so I rewatched Phil predicting Dans future and now that we know he just got off/in the process of getting off his meds it makes so much more sense. Phil got really excited when Dan’s card said he overcame something really hard (paraphrasing) and then Dan’s reaction was like “no way you’re making that up!” Idk i thought it was really sweet now that we know what was going on because Phil seemed so proud. :philtrash:
Ill gladly accept this as the truth. :love1: it makes my heart feel warm <3
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

secretagentphan wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:22 pm Okay so I rewatched Phil predicting Dans future and now that we know he just got off/in the process of getting off his meds it makes so much more sense. Phil got really excited when Dan’s card said he overcame something really hard (paraphrasing) and then Dan’s reaction was like “no way you’re making that up!” Idk i thought it was really sweet now that we know what was going on because Phil seemed so proud. :philtrash:
I just rewatched this and totally accept your theory, because it's sweet. And they never did address what was so "accurate" about that. (In retrospect... I wonder what I was assumed it was....?)

Anyway - great catch! :love2:
secretagentphan
procrastinator

rizzo wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:40 pm
I just rewatched this and totally accept your theory, because it's sweet. And they never did address what was so "accurate" about that. (In retrospect... I wonder what I was assumed it was....?)

Anyway - great catch! :love2:
I assumed it was about the rebrand/Dan being more comfortable with himself and his identity but it definitely makes more sense now.

I also love how Dan talked about his mental health because people around late 2014/2015 said stuff like “Dan’s finally happy now because Phil saved him!!” I never thought thinking one person can make you go from being in a dark place to cured is a healthy thing to do. This video kinda debunks those people because it’s like now we know Dan seemed better then because HE made the decision to get help and worked hard himself to get to a good place. Phil and his friends supported him along the way but when it comes down to it it was up to him. :love2:
obscureDnPreference
procrastinator

Predicting Dan's Future is one of my favorite Phil videos and watching it again really puts that line in perspective. I have a thought on Dan's vid. After watching it several more times, I've decided that my, for lack of a better term, favorite part is from 10:39-10:55. To me, that sounds the most real. Like, it almost sounds as if he's saying the words for the first time. The section is only three sentences but I think they say a lot.

"I am everything I am in spite of this thing constantly holding me back. I think about who I could be and what I could have done if I didn't go through this and it makes me mad. I like jokes about it because it objectifies it as this thing that isn't who I am, that I'm not alone in."

Some others have said this, but I think it's really interesting that TABINOF and TATINOF were created at the beginning of Dan's journey to mental wellness. I don't have too many other thoughts on that topic, but I just took note of it and the timeline.
Daniel Howell, 10/30/17
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Definitely seconding people's interpretations of the future prediction video. How excited Phil is actually warms my heart. No wonder this year was a focus on 'life things.'

Presuming Tom vlogged going to Dan and Phil's, I wonder if he will mention the video on camera? Or if he and Dan chatted at all about the video? Tom is pretty vocal about his own depression and we know they get along. If anyone was going to actually broach the topic with Dan, Tom is one of the ones I'd trust.
000dia000
emo goose

I think re-watching a lot of their videos from now on will be a new experience, now understanding the context of the things they say. Phil predicting Dan's future like that is so heart warming, I got a big smile on my face. I don't believe in any psychic stuff, but I just take Phil's predictions at face value now on.

Also, I'm not sure if it has been discussed yet, but maybe "that week in march" was just a bad period for his mental health and he just felt like breaching the subject at a later time idk maybe it was never anything more to the story than that?
alittledizzy wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:50 pm Definitely seconding people's interpretations of the future prediction video. How excited Phil is actually warms my heart. No wonder this year was a focus on 'life things.'

Presuming Tom vlogged going to Dan and Phil's, I wonder if he will mention the video on camera? Or if he and Dan chatted at all about the video? Tom is pretty vocal about his own depression and we know they get along. If anyone was going to actually broach the topic with Dan, Tom is one of the ones I'd trust.
This is a collab I'd love to see happen! Particularly that they have the same brand of humour. It might just be the most relatable video ever.

I don't think that Tom will vlog a lot, he usually only films a /lot/ around closer friends, this seems a bit more professional as a collab and the kind of YouTubers Dan and Phil are, that he wouldn't film much in their company. One thing I am looking forward to seeing (or at least acknowledging) is Tom's opinion on Dan's video. He could talk from anywhere to a brief statement to a lengthy followup in his own experiences in relation, etc. Probably worth a watch.
:cactus:
DatCog
blobfish

I've already begun re-watching a few shows with Dan's most recent video in mind. Just earlier today I watched some of his live show from January (17th) and particularly enjoyed this bit of him talking about his sense of humour. I wonder if it was something he'd recently discussed with his therapist (copied from the time stamps):
"Sometimes I forget that this sense of humor, this whole like, sarcastic all the time, self-deprecating, openly-laugh-at-all-of-your-mental-health-problems - which is a good thing that shows that we're all about being real with our problems, because some people say oh it can't be good for you, being all joking about yourself all the time, but I think it's the complete opposite. The people with these self-aware, self-deprecating sense of humors - just think about it, what does it say? If you can joke about your problems in a way that some people feel like 'am I allowed to laugh at this?' what this shows is that you're aware that you have issues, you acknowledge them, and you don't let them define you, and you're willing to talk about them and find them funny, and it's actually a very healthy attitude."
:)
liola
rankussy

000dia000 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:15 pm I think re-watching a lot of their videos from now on will be a new experience, now understanding the context of the things they say. Phil predicting Dan's future like that is so heart warming, I got a big smile on my face. I don't believe in any psychic stuff, but I just take Phil's predictions at face value now on.

Also, I'm not sure if it has been discussed yet, but maybe "that week in march" was just a bad period for his mental health and he just felt like breaching the subject at a later time idk maybe it was never anything more to the story than that?
I think the fact the gave an actual set deadline for what he wanted to talk about is the biggest thing that says it wasn't about that. I'm sure it was challenging for his mental health but it must have been something set. I think it's more likely about the game tbh especially since he said he could talk about it after the day after the liveshow
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
alch
ar·tic·u·late

@ wetheunicorns can you not
I mean, I've actually seen a lot of people talking about the game since I see some Dan and Phil accounts on Instagram, who are all freaking out and posting pictures of the game, but this is a legitimate (kind of) site that a lot of people read, and if they're posting it it's basically ruining the surprise (though yeah, it's better to build hype by getting people excited then revealing instead of just dropping a huge surprise on everyone see tatinof/tabinof reveal)
liola wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:38 pm think the fact the gave an actual set deadline for what he wanted to talk about is the biggest thing that says it wasn't about that. I'm sure it was challenging for his mental health but it must have been something set. I think it's more likely about the game tbh especially since he said he could talk about it after the day after the liveshow
I agree with liolathat it doesn't seem like that week in march was just about his own mental health, since he had a set deadline.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

alch wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:43 pm
liola wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:38 pm think the fact the gave an actual set deadline for what he wanted to talk about is the biggest thing that says it wasn't about that. I'm sure it was challenging for his mental health but it must have been something set. I think it's more likely about the game tbh especially since he said he could talk about it after the day after the liveshow
I agree with liolathat it doesn't seem like that week in march was just about his own mental health, since he had a set deadline.
To be honest... I think no matter what it was actually about, if it's something he's decided he really doesn't want to share, saying it's about the game is a good way to shut people up? So whether it's true or not I kind of expect him to say it's game related at this point.
goingbackto505
*editing tips*

even though the thread has already pretty much moved on from the topic, I wanted to make my own 'Dan's video' appreciation post, because, despite the fact that it's still difficult for me to put my emotions into words, even though the video was posted days ago and despite all the rewatches, it just feels wrong not to comment, because the video deserves it and Dan deserves it (I mean, I really don't think he lurks here lol, but what if?). I'm putting it under the spoiler because I accidentally went overboard..
((tbh I'm a mess and my thoughts are a mess and I don't think I'll do it justice at all, but)) firstly, the video.. truly, it's the best thing Dan has ever posted on his channel, and I can't explain how proud I am of him. everyone should be proud of him and he should be so proud. he did it better than I could've ever imagined and surpassed all of my expectations. honest, raw and yet not without his signature sense of humour. it's hard for me to make an actual analysis of the video and I don't think it's necessary, but I especially applaud him for finally deciding to start normalizing the idea of being/becoming a functional human being, that he actually showed us and his audience in general that exercise and basic self-care are very important and good and that it's not a bad thing and can make a difference, that taking meds is not the only thing you can do to get better and that there are other options because it's just not this cure that magically fixes everything. it made me so happy and actually has inspired me and filled me with hope I didn't have before (without going in depth here). I am so grateful for Dan's bravery and honesty. no idea how he did what he did, but he did it and I am really sorry that I hadn't been able to understand him before watching the video. can't say he was making it easy for me, but he cleared everything up, and I know he didn't have to do that, but the fact that he found the courage to open up in front of 6+ millions of people and used his platform to make such a tremendous difference made me gain so much respect for him. focusing on the positive, I'm really glad that he's in a better place now and I'm also happy for him and everyone who's close to him (Phil and his other loved ones), it's a huge achievement on Dan's part, and yeah I repeat myself again but I'm so happy that he's got help, from various sources, that it all has been working out for him so far and that he's made so much progress. he's such a strong person and I hope he'll always remember how strong he is for finding it within himself to want to get better, to ask for help, and for overcoming so much. doesn't matter how long it took, there'll always be ups and downs, and it's okay. which is something everyone should remember.
can't not mention my favourite quotes from the video: "depression is a thing. it's an illness that people can't control. It's not cool or mysterious, it sucks. and if you don't have it, you should be glad, and learn how to be there for people that do" and, of course, "I am everything I am in spite of this thing constantly holding me back". so much respect for him for saying all of that, so much. he showed the harsh reality of having a mental illness and showed that it can get better. he showed that he's an inspirational, strong and mature person. and he gave me and so many other people motivation to be more brave. he and Phil are wonderful people, never thought a couple of youtubers would have such a positive impact on me, but here we are. I'm in awe and so proud <3 <3 <3
also, finally it's on the trending page! #42 for now but it deserves to get higher up.