Dan & Phil Part 57: Pinky and the Brain

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
chiccola
sofa crease

chiccola wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:38 am I'm rewatching Phil's old video with fortune telling and when he's reading the 2017 card the "letting go of past pain" line comes up, and Phil is just so happy and excited about it...
It makes even more sense now with the context of Dan's MH video and I'm so emotional about it :happytears:
5:55
EDIT: Ok I see now that it has already been discussed a while ago and I missed it, so nvm me, but I agree with you secretagentphan :)
secretagentphan wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:52 pm
rizzo wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:40 pm
secretagentphan wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:22 pm Okay so I rewatched Phil predicting Dans future and now that we know he just got off/in the process of getting off his meds it makes so much more sense. Phil got really excited when Dan’s card said he overcame something really hard (paraphrasing) and then Dan’s reaction was like “no way you’re making that up!” Idk i thought it was really sweet now that we know what was going on because Phil seemed so proud. :philtrash:
I just rewatched this and totally accept your theory, because it's sweet. And they never did address what was so "accurate" about that. (In retrospect... I wonder what I was assumed it was....?)

Anyway - great catch! :love2:
I assumed it was about the rebrand/Dan being more comfortable with himself and his identity but it definitely makes more sense now.

I also love how Dan talked about his mental health because people around late 2014/2015 said stuff like “Dan’s finally happy now because Phil saved him!!” I never thought thinking one person can make you go from being in a dark place to cured is a healthy thing to do. This video kinda debunks those people because it’s like now we know Dan seemed better then because HE made the decision to get help and worked hard himself to get to a good place. Phil and his friends supported him along the way but when it comes down to it it was up to him. :love2:
DatCog
blobfish
Pronouns: she/her

chiccola wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:38 am I'm rewatching Phil's old video with fortune telling and when he's reading the 2017 card the "letting go of past pain" line comes up, and Phil is just so happy and excited about it...
It makes even more sense now with the context of Dan's MH video and I'm so emotional about it :happytears:
5:55
I'd really love to see the bits that were cut in this section of the video!
human
dan hand trash

ijustwantdeath wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:03 pm i'm really disappointed in dan for hanging out with felix. all his talk on being progressive and he does this. by saying "he'll have a talk" it only makes the situation worse because it makes it look like felix just "made a mistake" and is capable of redemption, as if his entire career isn't built on rape jokes and he doesn't still throw around the n word when the camera is off. Felix chose the anti-sjw, alt-right path consciously.
Like IF he brings it up at all (and like alittledizzy I'm skeptical) I'm predicting Dan is gonna be really inoffensive about it (Phil will run out of the room at this point because yikes @ confrontation), Felix will nod and smile and say 'he totally gets it now and he knows he messed up and he's so sorry about the whole thing blah blah blah'. He'll then compliment Dan on his shirt or smoking his ass at Mario Kart or something, Dan will go all 'uwu senpai :loveeyes: ' and that'll be it.
and you're right @catellena. i'm sure this is exactly how this conversation will play out. dan's not confrontational. this is just damage control. he's just doing this to justify it to himself and his audience. i'm actually a bit shook by his hypocrisy, he shuns shane and onision and crabstickz but i guess morality goes out the window when it's the biggest youtuber on the platform. I was so proud of him this whole week with the mental health video and his vulnerability but this is just a fucking emotional roller coaster.
To be fair, Deppy are going to see PJ and Sophie and Felix is just also going to be there. So people should be directing their disappointed energy towards PJ for still being friends with Felix, not the other guests who he has invited to hang out?
malday
emo goose

human wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:38 am
ijustwantdeath wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:03 pm i'm really disappointed in dan for hanging out with felix. all his talk on being progressive and he does this. by saying "he'll have a talk" it only makes the situation worse because it makes it look like felix just "made a mistake" and is capable of redemption, as if his entire career isn't built on rape jokes and he doesn't still throw around the n word when the camera is off. Felix chose the anti-sjw, alt-right path consciously.
Like IF he brings it up at all (and like alittledizzy I'm skeptical) I'm predicting Dan is gonna be really inoffensive about it (Phil will run out of the room at this point because yikes @ confrontation), Felix will nod and smile and say 'he totally gets it now and he knows he messed up and he's so sorry about the whole thing blah blah blah'. He'll then compliment Dan on his shirt or smoking his ass at Mario Kart or something, Dan will go all 'uwu senpai :loveeyes: ' and that'll be it.
and you're right @catellena. i'm sure this is exactly how this conversation will play out. dan's not confrontational. this is just damage control. he's just doing this to justify it to himself and his audience. i'm actually a bit shook by his hypocrisy, he shuns shane and onision and crabstickz but i guess morality goes out the window when it's the biggest youtuber on the platform. I was so proud of him this whole week with the mental health video and his vulnerability but this is just a fucking emotional roller coaster.
To be fair, Deppy are going to see PJ and Sophie and Felix is just also going to be there. So people should be directing their disappointed energy towards PJ for still being friends with Felix, not the other guests who he has invited to hang out?
They are meeting up because it's Marzia's birthday this weekend and it's a "tradition" that they go watch a scary movie together, they're not just going to randomly hang out with PJ and Sophie for no reason.
But yeah PJ has been kissing up to pdp for too long.
citizen_erased
truth bomb

liola wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:52 am I don't quite agree with the negativity re Dan and Felix. I think we all have people in our lives that have wrong opinions and act badly on them. It's better to try and make them understand than shut them out and keep them going in their ignorance.

I don't really think they're super chammy with each other but I do think they have at least somewhat of a honest friendly relationship that Dan can have a talk to Felix about the way he's acting without Felix turning into a devil and unleashing his fanbase to target Dan and Phil. I think he is an idiot but I actually don't think he's the devil himself, so I have hope that the people around him like Marzia and PJ have already told him off for his awful behaviour. I think a lot of people interpreted Dan's comment as him intending to attact Felix but I took his comment first of all as acknowledging what Felix did wrong, disagreeing with it and letting his own audience know he hopes to do something good.

I also doubt he's going to do like a toast for Marzia's bday and segway into why her boyfriend is an asshole, but I think they will have plenty of time to hang out and chat of nothing and everything and probably talk about it. It doesn't have to be an intervention, friends talk about uncomfortable things all the time after all
I don't have much to add except that I agree with you. I know the situation is different for D&P/Felix because of their audiences and public persona's and general influence, but at the same time, I wouldn't drop a friendship completely over my friend's wrong opinions. I'd have no friends left. Personally, considering how usually non-confrontational Dan & Phil are, I was already pleasantly surprised Dan even brought it up like this in the first place.

(Also, controversial opinion alert:) Not to mention that when racist white boys get dropped by all their peers they never seem to go "huh, seems I was wrong, maybe I should change" but instead tend to go "I'm right, the lefties suck, they ruined
my life, I'm only going to hang out with other racist white boys and hey maybe marching for our white boy rights is a great idea". Sticking around to keep giving that alternative perspective might actually be a better idea than just dropping the friendship. Not saying it's the best solution or that it's going to solve all problems, but effectively forcing them into isolation might be worse.
human
dan hand trash

malday wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:12 am
They are meeting up because it's Marzia's birthday this weekend and it's a "tradition" that they go watch a scary movie together, they're not just going to randomly hang out with PJ and Sophie for no reason.
But my point was 1) Dan said they were meeting up with PJ and Sophie this weekend as opposed to seeing Felix and Marzia, it was the afterthought where he mentioned them and 2) we don’t know what they’re doing in their private life so it’s pretty rude to call him a hypocrite on the basis of nothing.
malday
emo goose

human wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:26 am
But my point was 1) Dan said they were meeting up with PJ and Sophie this weekend as opposed to seeing Felix and Marzia, it was the afterthought where he mentioned them and 2) we don’t know what they’re doing in their private life so it’s pretty rude to call him a hypocrite on the basis of nothing.
Well I agree with no.2 , and a lot of the time i think these youtube "friendships" are too shallow to even be called friendships , I certainly don't think they are on a deep enough level to even have a constructive discussion like some people are expecting.
rainydays
sofa crease

Apparently Louise is posting the collab with deppy today.
liola
rankussy

rainydays wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:00 pm Apparently Louise is posting the collab with deppy today.
Ooooh bless, I needed something positive today.
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
autumnhearth
senpai

Well that’s good news! I’m totally ready for D&P and pregnancy! The husband made a reference to “lady door” this morning so I am just filled with fondness for Phil’s innuendos. Bring it!

Re: Felix. While I do hope Dan will say something, my admiration for the way he phrased things yesterday was acknowledging that it was quite diplomatic and yes, good for his relationship with his audience. I was disappointed when I found out Felix and PJ are close. The husband and I started watching PJ a little over a month ago and really like his videos. We’ve never watched the collabs with Felix and don’t want to. I think I’ve only seen PDP in YouTube Rewind and that stupid sports collab on the gaming channel, before I knew anything.

Thank you bookfiend for popping in and sharing information on the adpocalypse. That really sucks.
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

Way late to the party as I'm so busy at the moment, but like everyone else I loved that liveshow. It was obvious that Dan was genuinely touched by the response to his video, and similarly that his audience were genuinely moved by it too, and as such the general tone of the liveshow was one of warmth and kindness :') I left it feeling so so fond of him <3

I was surprised at how readily Dan brought up the week in March (was there even any prompting in this liveshow?). I've never been on any long-term medication, but it sounded like a really difficult period and I can't imagine how challenging it must have been to try and carry on with his presence on the internet whilst hiding how unwell he was. Very much appreciate how open he was about his experience of withdrawal, I think it's really important to talk about :love1:

I have nothing much else to add beyond what's already been said, but regarding the Felix comments: I'm kind of torn tbh. I despise Felix and wish for nothing more than for Dan and Phil to drop his ass. However, I think it's a bit unfair to indefinitely state that Dan won't discuss it with him - while I imagine it'd be pretty difficult to bring up in the context of Marzia's party, there's nothing to say he definitely won't so it seems a bit cruel to be so cynical. And also, while I do wish Dan had condemned Felix earlier, I genuinely appreciate that he made it clear in this liveshow that he disapproves of Felix. I would prefer that to him brushing over it, and acting equally excited to see Felix as he is to see the other three. Of course, his comments may very well have been self-serving but they also may not have been at all, and it's not fair to outright say they were or weren't.
nigel ratburn
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

citizen_erased wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:20 am
liola wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:52 am I don't quite agree with the negativity re Dan and Felix. I think we all have people in our lives that have wrong opinions and act badly on them. It's better to try and make them understand than shut them out and keep them going in their ignorance.

I don't really think they're super chammy with each other but I do think they have at least somewhat of a honest friendly relationship that Dan can have a talk to Felix about the way he's acting without Felix turning into a devil and unleashing his fanbase to target Dan and Phil. I think he is an idiot but I actually don't think he's the devil himself, so I have hope that the people around him like Marzia and PJ have already told him off for his awful behaviour. I think a lot of people interpreted Dan's comment as him intending to attact Felix but I took his comment first of all as acknowledging what Felix did wrong, disagreeing with it and letting his own audience know he hopes to do something good.

I also doubt he's going to do like a toast for Marzia's bday and segway into why her boyfriend is an asshole, but I think they will have plenty of time to hang out and chat of nothing and everything and probably talk about it. It doesn't have to be an intervention, friends talk about uncomfortable things all the time after all
I don't have much to add except that I agree with you. I know the situation is different for D&P/Felix because of their audiences and public persona's and general influence, but at the same time, I wouldn't drop a friendship completely over my friend's wrong opinions. I'd have no friends left. Personally, considering how usually non-confrontational Dan & Phil are, I was already pleasantly surprised Dan even brought it up like this in the first place.
there's a difference between maintaining a friendship with someone who has some unsavory opinions and maintaining a friendship with someone who has shown outwardly racist behavior and hasn't been particularly remorseful about it. if you'd have no friends left if you dropped all the racist ones, then you need better friends. racism isn't a character flaw, and it shouldn't be tolerated for the sake of maintaining pleasantries, especially when said racism is being spouted by a guy with the largest following on youtube.
allsaintshowell
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

nigel ratburn wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:19 pm there's a difference between maintaining a friendship with someone who has some unsavory opinions and maintaining a friendship with someone who has shown outwardly racist behavior and hasn't been particularly remorseful about it. if you'd have no friends left if you dropped all the racist ones, then you need better friends. racism isn't a character flaw, and it shouldn't be tolerated for the sake of maintaining pleasantries, especially when said racism is being spouted by a guy with the largest following on youtube.
that pretty much sums it up. felix's friends have come out and said "hey, this wasn't right, but he's a good guy" but we haven't publically seen anyone he knows say "hey, this was fucked up and i need to talk to him about it". doubt anything will come of it as felix is the typical "i'm not racist #freespeech lol triggered" racist white guy who has been told over and over he can do no wrong by the way his career has not suffered at all. the only thing that will get felix to understand that he's trash is youtube actually punishing him, but it's nice to see one of my problematic white youtube faves say they're going to talk to him about it.
captainspacecoat wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:08 pm I was surprised at how readily Dan brought up the week in March (was there even any prompting in this liveshow?).
since it was the title of the livestream, he just wanted to get it out there now that he had "come out" about his mental illness and how it affected him. makes sense why he blacklisted "that week in march" in recent livestreams, now.
Image Image
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

allsaintshowell wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:44 pm
captainspacecoat wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:08 pm I was surprised at how readily Dan brought up the week in March (was there even any prompting in this liveshow?).
since it was the title of the livestream, he just wanted to get it out there now that he had "come out" about his mental illness and how it affected him. makes sense why he blacklisted "that week in march" in recent livestreams, now.
I get the feeling he always actually had planned on telling this story, he just knew it would have to wait until after the video. I can see how the constant reminders might have been stressful to him as a reminder of the Big Important Video that he knew he wanted to make and hadn't yet - even last week his slight snappiness about being asked reads to me now as Dan just being nervous. Not about 'that week in March' but about the video and how only he knew that the week tied in with the video itself. But I don't think that's the fault of fans at all. There's a lot of really sanctimonious 'I hope you're all happy you hyped That Week In March, you made Dan feel so bad' type of commentary I've observed on tumblr and it makes me roll my eyes every time. It has really never before happened that Dan specifically mentioned something that he would tell us at a later time and it turned out to be a personal story that he just wanted to share and in no way impacted us. Usually that's the behavior around some kind of announcement, project, or event.

So while I have every bit of sympathy for Dan for how it must have been a weird kind of pressure seeing that, I also don't fault fans for treating this like anything else Dan says since we had no way of knowing it wasn't like anything else.
human
dan hand trash

liola wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:18 pm
rainydays wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:00 pm Apparently Louise is posting the collab with deppy today.
Ooooh bless, I needed something positive today.
Lolling that someone the other day or maybe even yesterday said on here how Louise was making a mistake leaving it so long and people were losing interest in it now. Then suddenly she’s going to post it today. Teehee.
secretagentphan
procrastinator

Not to constantly bring up weird Deppy moments that now make sense in the context of recent events because that’s annoying and invasive but I need to bant in depth now because I may or may not be going crazy? Wasnt there a liveshow where Dan said he drank a bunch of coffee and it just made him go “everybody hates me. I did something and I can’t remember” and phil had to be like “no you just drank a bunch of coffee and are acting crazy” or something? I can’t tell if I made this up or not but I swear it happened lol! I mean it’s not particularly interesting or insightful but coffee can fuck up your meds so it makes sense if I’m not making this up.

SO EXCITED FOR THE BABY VIDEO. I have such bad baby fever and tbh I hope Deppy do too because the idea of them being dads one day is absolutely adorable to me. <3
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

At what time does Louise generally upload?
realeyesrealize
living flop

rainydays
sofa crease

LOL

also this, but I won't believe it until it happens
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Yeah that would've been good when it was happening. The various times it happened. Instead he goes to hang out with him to clear his conscience he says he'll talk to him. As if people haven't tried that before.. including affected minorities he keeps ignoring and making #triggered jokes about. Felix won't care as long as nobody hits him where it hurts and Dan does not even even the slightest power to do that. And neither does his girlfriend (I know little about Marzia can someone explain to me why some people seem to think she is educated on these subjects at all? Why would she call out Felix considering how hugely beneficial their relationship is for her?) or PJ or Emma or any other YouTuber who is on friendly terms with him. YouTubers are largely all self serving, it's in their best interest to stay in Felix's good graces because he's pretty damn powerful (and if they do speak out they'll get manipulated back in line like Jackscepticeye) and for D&P it's important to stay in the good graces of their socially aware fans as well hence why Dan will 'talk to him'. Friends can talk and have discussion about things like this, but imo there's a major power imbalance that will not allow that to happen fairly like usually in friendships.
K. But this is a Dan and Phil forum so excuse me for not caring enough about PJ to write about an essay about why he's shit and complicit in Felix's behavior.
Of course he said that, he's not daft. He knows excitedly announcing he's hanging with Felix isn't exactly the way to go. It's calling bringing it gently, like a parent telling their kid they made their favorite dish for dinner and btw the hamster died. D&P are actively choosing to still be friends and hang out with Felix but if that's the hill you wanna die on knock yourself out I guess?

And I'll be rude idc. They'll survive.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
onetruetrash
blobfish

secretagentphan wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:13 pm Not to constantly bring up weird Deppy moments that now make sense in the context of recent events because that’s annoying and invasive but I need to bant in depth now because I may or may not be going crazy? Wasnt there a liveshow where Dan said he drank a bunch of coffee and it just made him go “everybody hates me. I did something and I can’t remember” and phil had to be like “no you just drank a bunch of coffee and are acting crazy” or something? I can’t tell if I made this up or not but I swear it happened lol! I mean it’s not particularly interesting or insightful but coffee can fuck up your meds so it makes sense if I’m not making this up.
Don't worry, you're not crazy.

rainydays wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:50 pmalso this, but I won't believe it until it happens
Now I know this boy did not just tell me that instead of a joint liveshow on his anniversary of meeting Dan we're getting a collab with fucking hazel of all people
kuensukki
janice from the shop

Catallena wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:52 pm

Yeah that would've been good when it was happening. The various times it happened. Instead he goes to hang out with him to clear his conscience he says he'll talk to him. As if people haven't tried that before.. including affected minorities he keeps ignoring and making #triggered jokes about. Felix won't care as long as nobody hits him where it hurts and Dan does not even even the slightest power to do that. And neither does his girlfriend (I know little about Marzia can someone explain to me why some people seem to think she is educated on these subjects at all? Why would she call out Felix considering how hugely beneficial their relationship is for her?) or PJ or Emma or any other YouTuber who is on friendly terms with him. YouTubers are largely all self serving, it's in their best interest to stay in Felix's good graces because he's pretty damn powerful (and if they do speak out they'll get manipulated back in line like Jackscepticeye) and for D&P it's important to stay in the good graces of their socially aware fans as well hence why Dan will 'talk to him'. Friends can talk and have discussion about things like this, but imo there's a major power imbalance that will not allow that to happen fairly like usually in friendships.
K. But this is a Dan and Phil forum so excuse me for not caring enough about PJ to write about an essay about why he's shit and complicit in Felix's behavior.
Of course he said that, he's not daft. He knows excitedly announcing he's hanging with Felix isn't exactly the way to go. It's calling bringing it gently, like a parent telling their kid they made their favorite dish for dinner and btw the hamster died. D&P are actively choosing to still be friends and hang out with Felix but if that's the hill you wanna die on knock yourself out I guess?

And I'll be rude idc. They'll survive.
YASSSSSSSSS QUEEEEEN. I kinda feel dumb for revering dan talking to Felix because 1) it totally read as damage control 2) if he had an issue with Felix and it went against his moral pricinples he would speak up about it when it happened not because Marzia is going to post insta pictures of them with Felix. This is not really something to make excuses for tbh. You can like someone and acknowledge that they are not going to do anything about someone like Felix.

Dan is someone who speaks up if the issue is important to him and directly effects him ala things like mental health. If the Felix slur was important and had bothered him he would have mentioned it by now instead of waiting months later to imply a "chat". Am I implying that dan isnt bothered by felixs behavior, no, I'm glad he atleast is aware it's problematic but he isn't DOING anything to change that. Also people thinking a "dan talk" will change Felix is laughable. Felix has said slurs many times in his streams that got deleted but people knew it existed, this isn't the first time. He is racist, bigoted and yet DP continued their relationship with them. It's kinda important to acknowledge that.

Also lol at someone bringing up PJ, I thought this was a dan and phil thread not a pj one.
ijustwantdeath
squish

citizen_erased wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:20 am

(Also, controversial opinion alert:) Not to mention that when racist white boys get dropped by all their peers they never seem to go "huh, seems I was wrong, maybe I should change" but instead tend to go "I'm right, the lefties suck, they ruined
my life, I'm only going to hang out with other racist white boys and hey maybe marching for our white boy rights is a great idea". Sticking around to keep giving that alternative perspective might actually be a better idea than just dropping the friendship. Not saying it's the best solution or that it's going to solve all problems, but effectively forcing them into isolation might be worse.
okay 1) i take issue with the way "wrong opinions" is used here. It isn't an opinion whether or not calling someone a racial slur is an okay thing to do. it's about what's right and what's wrong and what's racist and where dnp chose to draw the line. and apparently the line is far up felix's ass. dan doesn't get to call himself progressive and woke and get brownie points from his audience only to turn around and go hang out with a racist.
2)yeah but why did dan bring it up now? why didn't he do it a month ago when his voice would have actually mattered? why say nothing but call him a "problematic dad" when felix was throwing around nazi jokes? none of this is about "educating" felix, felix isn't a person who wants to be or can be "educated" .dan is smarter than that. this is about damage control. this is "hey look i have a thought-out excuse to use when the selfies eventually get posted."
3) Felix isn't just some ignorant white boy in highschool, he's a business and a brand, much bigger than dan and phil themselves. He's the face of youtube ffs, you think him changing the direction of his channel into a anti-sjw, alt-right gutter wasn't a conscious choice? He knows what he's doing and he's doing it on purpose.
4) And what is dan's "talk with him", if it even happens, going to achieve that hasn't already been said by thousands of minorities, hundreds of news articles ?

tl;dr dan's comment isn't about educating felix, felix doesn't want to be educated. i'm taken aback by the fact that dnp still chose to associate themselves with a racist despite their history of distancing themselves from problematic people. that is all.
fun fun fun
parallel
phabergé

i can totally understand dnp still wanting to hang out with someone they don't agree w tbh. i don't speak up about a lot of shit my peers do because i'm not in a position where i can without major backlash. accepting a bday party invite for someone's girlfriend doesn't mean that you condone that person anyway; it's marzia's birthday, not pdp's. i could see them maybe having a chat with pdp, but i'm not gonna look down on them for hanging out with someone they disagree with. it's human nature to try and not rock the boat.
onetruetrash
blobfish

ijustwantdeath wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:13 pm dan doesn't get to call himself progressive and woke and get brownie points from his audience only to turn around and go hang out with a racist.
and there it is