Dan & Phil Part 57: Pinky and the Brain

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
katemko
delia smith
Pronouns: she/her

The demon and tea emojis made me instantly think of... I forget what you call it. Like a gossipy video? Like you basically talk about all the gossip you’ve heard? That would be hilarious but I wouldn’t hold my breath.
i'm so funny. i am the funniest person in the world. ryan gosling finds me hilarious. i'm in a submarine.
blackdenim
procrastinator

thewaytobehappy wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:39 pm I suppose my threshold is just higher in that regard? I usually look at active alignment and political interests, and I have a high tolerance for moronic remarks no matter what direction they come from. Which would obviously be my issue, and not yours. I don't think we'll fully agree either way,

I actually by coincidence saw the whole alt-right taking an interest in Felix playing out as it happened earlier this year. I wasn't watching him anymore at the time. It was the weirdest thing. I followed a right-wing/libertarian tuber at the time who was as fascinated as I was. I do know Felix definitely didn't invite them though.
None of this is about D&P so have hidden it for those that don't care.
I actually disagree with you here slightly. I don't think he actively sought out an alt-right following, but I think Felix is far more intelligent and plugged into this stuff than most people give him credit for - as I said earlier, you don't get that level of success by accident and I think he really likes being the most subscribed person on YT . When gaming content lost its lustre slightly on YT, he moved more towards 'vlogger' type content - stuff that attracted a slightly younger audience that was making up more and more of the YT audience at that time. He wore flower crowns, wrote that 'funny' book, had less gaming content on his channel, more collabs, etc. but by the time he got pulled up on the anti-semitism thing the first time, he was moving towards more of a 'social commentary/comedy/edgy humour' type vibe, like H3H3 and idubbbz, etc.

As someone with a Jewish background, I didn't think the Fiverr video was offensive personally (I'm sure some did). It seemed like an obvious joke to me, and a lot of what people were offended about was taken out of conext, but either way due to the current political climate and the urge to push-back against 'political correctness gone mad', he got some new subs, views and attention from the alt-right for the whole issue with Washington Post, and as their humour has a lot of crossover with the edgelord/anti SJW type stuff he was already starting to do, I think he just ran with it because he was getting positive affirmation from those guys, in the same way that he ran with the fangirl audience a few years before. I don't feel like he was actively trying to mobilise the alt-right, and to be fair to him he did try to address stuff like the neo-nazi rallies and stuff that were going on, but at the same time he didn't try to alter his content or humour to be less appealing to this new audience either, and I guess either he's always been lowkey racist, or he's internalised the attitude of his audience, but either way we've ended up with him saying those things on the stream, not apologising properly, and cementing himself as an alt-right posterboy.
EDIT: I think Phil's new video will be another fortune tea leaves video. And I'm glad we'll have something else to talk about!!
Last edited by blackdenim on Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ewok
rainbow nerd

Appa wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:19 pm
rainydays wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:16 pm mmm.. any guesses? He's selling his soul to the devil for a never-ending supply of coffee and diamonds?
Tea fortune telling!
Oh I really hope it's a coffee or tea reading! Tasseography is so interesting and I have loved Phil's fortune telling videos, they're always so cute. :)

What the heck does the diamond mean though? Lmao.
»»-————𝓯𝓵𝓸𝓹𝓹𝔂 𝓭𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓭𝓸𝓷𝓰————-««
lurkin
squish
Pronouns: they/them

Ewok wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:29 pm
Appa wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:19 pm
rainydays wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:16 pm mmm.. any guesses? He's selling his soul to the devil for a never-ending supply of coffee and diamonds?
Tea fortune telling!
Oh I really hope it's a coffee or tea reading! Tasseography is so interesting and I have loved Phil's fortune telling videos, they're always so cute. :)

What the heck does the diamond mean though? Lmao.
I really hope it's tea reading (I thought maybe the diamond meant crystal ball as well, but there's already an emoji for that.) Maybe he's getting into crystals and gems and whatnot. I really hope it's psychic Phil. Psychic Phil is my favorite Phil.
✧・゚: *✧・゚:* ugh *:・゚✧*:・゚✧
autumnhearth
senpai

Oh good, this is so needed. Loving your emoji interpretations. Hmm coffee but no rat. I would love it to be tea leaf reading, I also have a major soft spot for psychic Phil, but there are better emojis for that, like leaves and a crystal ball... unless that is too on the nose. The gossip actually makes sense based solely on emojis, but for Phil? Curious. :crystalball:

I feel like it’s been awhile since we didn’t have any real foreshading. We obviously knew about the outfits way ahead of time, he told us he was interested in making a slime vid and took a poll and the sleepless night he tweeted about the chocolate covered espresso beans, but I guess we didn’t know anything about the guided story, only had vague hints about the mystery box and the Tindr spon was a big surprise. So it’s been about 50/50. I’m ready :daddy:

(oh dear I don’t like how that looks as a sentence before the emoji appears, lol)
liola
rankussy

I'm so excited for Phil's video, with the last couple of awful days I've had I really need some light entertainment and Phil never fails to make me smile. I wish it could be a DITL or the calendar vlog he talked about but I really don't think it would be any of that.
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
coffeepenguin
rainbow nerd

In his latest vlog, Tom talks about showing what some people thought was real Dan and Phil's address and what was the phandom's reaction, starts around 2'20:
(also, deppy, send the guy a copy of your game ffs, he promo-ed it for you and you just gave one to Marzia so it's not like you have a shortage)
Dan wants to be understood. Phil just wants to make the viewer smile and sell some backpacks (c) fancybum
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

This thread goes too damn fast so I kinda gave up with replying and shit, many people handled it much better than I would've done anyway. Not gonna quote them all to avoid this post becoming all 7 Harry Potter books + The Curses Child (which is not a book as much as it is cat litter) but I loved a bunch of posts here and I think that for the most part this discussion has been doing pretty well? We're not trying to kill each other yet at least. Anyway the few things I still really wanted to reply to:
dontpanic wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:06 am COMPLETELY MY OPINION, but my biggest beef with the stereotypical “white ally”tm is how common it is to cry “problematic” without trying to help someone change their behavior. All that does is make the uninformed person feel attacked and cement their obsall-lives-matter and shiz like that. Said white ally gets to feel all woke and stuff, but really they’re hurting are people like me.

We only know the public actions of these people, I’m more hopeful about their interactions behind the scenes. Little things are more important than big public call outs. If pdp and deppy are playing video games and pdp says a slur again, Dan (it would be dan, lbr) might say “yo, that ain’t cool brah” etc. If pdp says something like “just a joke, bro” someone could explain how it’s not a joke, how there are some words have such hateful roots they shouldn’t be used by most people. Like I said, I’m optimistic.
As a white ally, I do obviously agree that people who just shout PROBLEMATIC!!!1one at everything and then don't do shit to educate or amplify the voices of minorities are useless and only cement people in their shit beliefs. Lately though, I'm also beginning to think that some people think my white privilege is a magical remedy to cure other whites of their racism. I wish it was, but it isn't. White woman allies in particular will get horrible death and rape threats from white men. I've gotten some real sick and twisted shit on my old Twitter account (Dutch racist Twitter is tons of fun). So while I try my best, at some point it really just needs to come to an end. For my own safety, but also because some people genuinely do not want to be educated no matter who tries and at that point I'm just wasting time. And I firmly stand by that being the case with Felix. After years of making jokes about minorities and getting called out, I'm not particularly invested in getting this guy to change anymore. If Dan wants to try, fine. If Felix does change, good. But for me the only purpose he now serves is to call him out on his shit so other people will see and think about what they're doing. Let's call it a sacrifice.

And maybe Felix is different in private and that if he isn't he'll be called out however I also.. don't really care? I don't have to deal with him in his private life, it's how he behaves publicly that's the problem. There's no point if it doesn't translate in his online persona. That's where he influences people and where he makes money. It would just prove that he knows better but doesn't care where his work and influence is concerned. That's even more harmful than the Tumblr teens who learned what problematic means 5 seconds ago. And I just don't think Felix will have gathered people around him who will ever have that power over him where business is concerned. It's not in his interest to do so as long as he feels little consequences. And coming back to D&P, as public figures they give of a message that they are okay with that even if they interact with him even if it is in a private setting.
captainspacecoat wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:01 pm Somehow I managed to write a whole 2500 word essay about youtube culture and feign enthusiasm about it today for my uni degree, and I have no idea how I did it because it's such a sore topic for me right now. But that's over, thank god.

I have a question for people like me, who are supremely put off by Dan and Phil hanging out with Felix. What next? Because I'm feeling really torn and upset right now. I don't think it's realistic at this point to ever expect Dan and Phil to drop Felix, which had been my hope prior to Dan's last liveshow. Yet, Dan and Phil and their content provide a form of escapism to me that has been absolutely essential to getting through the past few years. And I know that's probably not healthy, but it's just how it is. The people I've met, and the discussions on here, etc etc have become really important to me and I don't want to lose that. I don't want to stop watching Dan and Phil, but I'm finding it so difficult to reconcile this.

Am I being overdramatic? Will I laugh at myself in a few days time? Maybe I need to just readjust the way I had previously conceived of Dan and Phil and their morals, and move forward with lower expectations and a heightened wariness for their potential bullshit. I feel like it's important to stick around and hold them accountable, and I honestly hope they've read the discussion on here and on tumblr, and that they sincerely consider what we have to say. I feel like they probably won't address it, but I think the only thing that would make me feel better about this whole thing is to have an extensive conversation with them about it. Which will probably never conceivably happen, but I just want them to know how much this has affected so many people, and at the very least for them to say something to condemn him. Which will probably come across as shallow anyway given that they just spent the weekend with him seemingly quite happily. Ughhhhh this is honestly so shitty, and I can only imagine how much more shitty it must be for people who have been directly affected by Felix's actions.

I guess I'm just basically wondering how best to move forward from this.
Realize that entertainment is always gonna be problematic because it reflects reality. And live by my signature tbh. Stan is only one letter away from Satan. Just make sure you don't turn into Satan and that you stan blindly. It takes no fun out of the stanning experience (it doesn't for me anyway, fangirling is always enjoyable), it just makes you a bit more grounded. idk I stan kpop I'm used being disappointed with people so this situation hardly phases me. The discussion did tho. Honestly from the start my issue was that people were praising Dan for 'taking a stand' when all I saw were self servign motives. It then escalated in this. So I'll just continue stanning, as critical as always. :thumb:
thewaytobehappy wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:05 pm I'm sorry if you perceive as desentisized, malday. Because that's actually a state I actively try to avoid.
I very much care about social issues. I just think the way the left as a whole currenlty goes about this will ultimately only undermine this.

I do however, also make an active attempt to explore both the left and the right, because I was taught from an early age that there is always more then one truth and pov. I personally feel this has helped me tremendously to become a balanced individual. Left of center, so to speak. And occasionally both sides and funny, or vexing and downright infuriating. Think of me what you want for that *shrug*

As far as what "movement" Felix subsribes to, if any, thank God he was smart enough to take the alt-rights bait. Whatever hole the hole the left and right wanted him in, he hasn't done it.
I used to honestly be a lot like you, but in the last year I've come to the opinion that the center position often doesn't serve anyone. It's the liberal route of caring, but never doing. And I really don't doubt that you do care, really. But for me, after seeing the rise of blatantly racist ideals everywhere including my own country and realizing that 'the center' seems to shift more and more to the right as time passes I can no longer do that. The liberal conservatives in my country won by parroting the populist far right, but still pretend they're just a bit right of center. And people are just okay with that. The center has become too passive, too comfortable and kinda opportunistic for me. If it's still the right option for you I won't shame you for that but I'm done with it. You're right, both sides can be immensely stupid and I will still gladly roll my eyes at people throwing a fit over nothing. But I don't believe distancing yourself from both is the answer anymore. And I still believe in hearing other perspectives, which is why I enjoy discussions so much. But I personally needed to take a side.
thewaytobehappy wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:29 pm I think what LtrllySusan says about distance might very will be it. I see so many people getting so invested in the personal lives of people they're a fan of, not just DnP, but in general. It always confuses me, maybe because I never felt that. I'm 29 now, but even as a teenager at the height of my Rammstein stanning all I wanted to know was their names and when I'd get to see them play live.
I'm sometimes quite shocked at how invasive and bold fandom is in this age of social media.
Hm, don't just blame that on fandom. Fandom can be invasive hen they're stalking houses and airports and shit. But being invested in the personal lives and opinions of the people you stan is the direct cause of celebs inviting us in to make money. Be it by social media or calling the paparazzi on themselves. If celebs, including YouTubers, wanna sell their lives to us then they have face to consequences of people not always being pleased with what they see and judging them. It's fine if that's not what you want out of fandom but it is what it is.

Blah ok I'm tired. I hope Phil's new video is decent. My guess is tea leaf reading :D
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Ablissa
pastel persona

snokoplasmic
procrastinator

this was a good video! at first i was kinda like "oh, another things i regret buying? :/" because i didn't like the last one as much, but i really loved this one
Anonymousse
flower crown
Pronouns: Any

AHHH~~!

SPOOKY WEEK, My body is ready, it's my favorite thing every year!

Also: "It's giving me a nice vibration in my butt tho... I quite like it" - Phil Lester

:daddy:
But who the fuck am I kidding? I'm mostly just the rotting banana peel at the bottom of the phan trash can who genuinely gets excited over the thought of them snuggling in bed. Idgaf let a bitch live
- Manged

SquishPhan
capita£ester

I enjoyed that video, it certainly made me laugh.

Now Dan finally knows how it feels to be the third wheel. :lol:
autumnhearth
senpai

Ok 5 Things I Regret Buying, wasn’t expecting that. Phil has been striving for minimalism and failing.

1. Is that knife serrated? Do you not have spreaders?

2. Phil ordered purple but is not complaining about pink dusting slippers. Slide into DMs.

3. That bath gem light is awful.

4. Oh *and* crystal growing. Thank you for not doing that on your bed. I don’t feel like he taught us anything.

5. Dan! Or at least his voice. And a slightly new apartment angle! Weird metal junk rack, big appliance box. “It’s giving me a nice vibration in my butt though, I quite like it.” Dan goes from “Bro” to “romantic” in one quick jump cut. Dan feels like a third wheel, oh good now he knows how we feel- and Phil is making out with the demon.

Classic AmazingPhil vid with a side on domesticity and a quick spon.

Gotta dash!
liola
rankussy

That was exactly what I needed - Phil looking lovely, smiling bright and being his weird adorable self.

Dan being a third wheel, welcome to the club mate :lol:

I see a new Bit of the house, isn't that the lava lamp in Phil's live show? It seems right in front of the stairs? What's that kinda hallway I'm so so curious about that duplex, I didn't think there would be a door there
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
parallel
phabergé

Honestly, I love Phil's videos so much. They're so relaxing and sweet and this video gave those exact vibes, plus the part with Dan was :) Also Phil talking about the thing vibrating in his butt... Pls calm your man down, Dan, you're a bad influence. Phil's been so wild lately, what's up with that?
nephilimcat
woodland creature

SquishPhan wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:37 pm
Now Dan finally knows how it feels to be the third wheel. :lol:
Honestly :rofl:

Such a cute video, I didn't know I needed Phil making out with an inflatable demon in my life until it happened. Bless this adorable man :love1:
pulvis et umbra sumus
Diyes_Celine
truth bomb

I really love all the regret buying videos so I am so happy to have this video. I like the inflatable costume. Am I the only one who think the monster looks like Dan whenever Phil interacts with cute guys? It's like jealous!Dan from Tumblr. No one else? Ok. I am imagining things. But you can't deny that Phil and the monster look good together. I mean forget fury. It's beastiality. (I am sorry in advance if I'll offend anybody. I find it funny.)

Edit: procrasti-haunt-er. How apt. That's what I am actually doing while at work. :happytyper: :lol:
Last edited by Diyes_Celine on Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DatCog
blobfish

That was super cute! Funny items, couple new flat angles, quality interaction with Dan, bit too short for my liking but typical Phil video and it hit the spot for me today.

Love Phil in that t-shirt <3
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Oh man, y'all. I love that new video.

Phil's video was alright too, I guess.

Nathan Zed. That... that was a Nathan Zed reference in case you missed it.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

rizzo wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:48 pm Oh man, y'all. I love that new video.

Phil's video was alright too, I guess.

Nathan Zed. That... that was a Nathan Zed reference in case you missed it.
I don't know a Dan and Phil. There is only Nathan.
Ewok
rainbow nerd

Well, it wasn't tea or coffee reading :sideeye: but still a cute video nonetheless. Definitely put me in a good mood, as Phil always does. The crystals were cool, I always wanted those as a kid too, but like Phil my parents deprived me. :(

I'm intrigued by their fancy ass bathtub and need to go back and look at other shots of their shower? I didn't see any of that ugly green tile so my inflatable demon instinct is telling me this is the master bath in the moon room. Going to try to rewatch later to further drive myself crazy - what the hell was the door in what looks like the kitchen? Their house is so confusing.
»»-————𝓯𝓵𝓸𝓹𝓹𝔂 𝓭𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓭𝓸𝓷𝓰————-««
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

I loved the video, exactly what I needed today. The crystal growing bit gave me a horrible flashback of childhood disappointment though. I loved the whole bit with the demon and of course the failed sliding. Lovely. :love1:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Didn't expect that but it was a pretty amusing video nonetheless :D

Some short video commentary:

- I too tell myself that I should buy less crap but Aliexpress and Miniinthebox exist sooo.
- Of course he liked the spreadable coffee, the first ingredient was sugar. :roll:
- Wouldn't your feet get wet if you went mopping the floor with those? No thanks.
- Phil almost cracked his giant head open against the wall there. Careful old man.
- You give the bath disco a no but like the foot mops? Bruh.
- Phil really has a thing for those DIY toys, I bet his mum deprived him in his youth because she knew how clumsy he was and didn't want a damn mess all over the house :lol:
- The crystal thing looks cool tbh I like it.
- Phil and his demon sex doll.
- "It's giving me a nice vibration in my butt though. I quite like it." Noted. 8-)
- Dan is legit jealous of a piece of plastic.
- Truth Bombs spon.
- Head off into the distance with his demon.. I can't believe Dan got dumped right after their 8th anniversary.

I hope Spooky Week will be good this year :ghostclaps: :pumpkinphil: :bat:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

that was a cute video! phil has been going wild with his jokes lately but i'm not complaining. this was a good video and i would definitely rewatch it whenever!
:transheart:
obscureDnPreference
procrastinator
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Howdy IDB. It's been since Friday since I've been on here (I did some traveling and went to John and Hank Green's tour stop last night) and HOLY PAGES TO CATCH UP ON. I'm not even going to try to talk about anything that happened and the discussions. I'll just stick to Phil's vid.

I'm usually pretty 'meh' about this series, but I really quite liked this one. The bit with Dan and the halloween costume was great. 9/10 Phil video. :tu:
"This is not children's television. I'm 26, I'm depressed, and I need edgy jokes to cope with my anxiety."
Daniel Howell, 10/30/17