Dan & Phil Part 59: the literal other half

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

Reading how all of you got into Dan and Phil is so cool. <3 I've shared my origin story countless times already, so I'll keep it brief:
found Dan through his general popularity surge in mid to late 2012, binge watched his videos then tried to watch some liveshows and thought he was generally pretty terrible and homophobic (and since Phil was his roommate Phil got painted with the same brush, sorry Phil) so I actively avoided watching them for three years after that. Had a dream about them some time after Vidcon 2015 - I think because I saw them in vlogs, I was regularly watching all the Gleamers back then - decided to google and see what they were doing just based on the dream and within a few minutes I'd landed on the place that shall not be named and thephandirectory almost simultaneously. Binge read all the gg threads and the phan timeline in under a week, realized Dan was closeted not homophobic, saw the vday video, and haven't looked back since.

Also I'm 32 and I did go to TATINOF, I took my girlfriend with me (she's not super into Dan and Phil but she watches the videos with me and she really loves Dil, so that worked out) and we laughed at how we were way closer in age most of the parents than the other people going for fun, but in general it was a pretty damn good time. Going alone might have felt too nervewracking but if you're older, just take a non-judgmental person with you.
Now, the video yesterday, since I was too slammed with work to properly comment on it:
mermaid blood wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:52 am 0.05 - dan can't remember the name of the part of the gun he 'blew' was. phil gives him a knowing smile after 'blew' and then does a series of cute gun sound effects.
Phil's little grin when Dan says blew totally got me, I knew five seconds in it was going to be a good video.
mermaid blood wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:52 am2.30 - flamingoes were dan's favourite animal as a child. he says this almost sadly. phil thinks they smell bad
Sweet little baby Dan loving the pretty pink birds. Ugh, his childhood videos thing is still ruining me, I just picture that little Dan running around shouting excitedly about how flamingos are the coolest. (Also this definitely backs up @rizzo's theory that Dan is normalizing his love of pink.)
mermaid blood wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:52 am3.38 - dan pushes phil's chair out of excitement
3.45 - dan high pitched excited voice. 'yeah i did!'. pushes phil gently with his elbow
3.57 - phil tries to sabotage by softly squeezing dan's bicep. dan: oi oi oi oi... (big phil grin)
All three of these moments just make me really appreciate how they've integrated physicality into their banter. There's nothing even that standout about it until you remember that as recently as the middle of the US tour we flipped our shit over Phil poking Dan once because it crossed some epic barrier that they almost never crossed. Now pushing-shoving-poking-squeezing happens multiple times per video. I love how normal and unreserved it is.
mermaid blood wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:52 am6.10 - dan: that's like a vibrator, or a hair dryer.
phil: or both at the same time.
(...thanks guys for identifying an anal toy - eg. with a curved handle/base - and thus forever painting that picture in our minds) (no hint of sarcasm, really, THANK you)
Sudden intense voyeuristic curiosity about Dan's sex toy drawer. Definitely assuming he was talking about one of the curved anal ones.
mermaid blood wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:52 am7.18 - dan picks up phils hand and moves it, presumably off the mouse so he can't just click to the next one, in an attempt to get him to slow down.
dan: 'are you still alive?'
phil: i'm trying. wait, just wait. zen, zen, zen. (wave hand motion).
he stutters briefly explaining his thinking behind the drawing.
this whole interaction is very interesting to me.
This whole interaction is fascinating. I feel like that might be a normal Dan move, to do something physical that forces Phil to stop and focus because Phil's response when he seems flustered is to just shove ahead in whatever he's doing even while realizing he's just going to escalate the issue because of nerves. Dan's hand moving Phil's off the mouse immediately prompted Phil to do the 'zen, zen, zen' thing and yeah idk where else I'm going with this except that I could definitely see that being one of the ways they balance each other, Dan knowing how to cut Phil off and refocus him when he's having a little panic spiral.
mermaid blood wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:52 am11.15 - dan: underwear? what kind of underwear?
phil: (firmly, without hesitation) a thong!
dan draws a thong (quickly, without hesitation) ...without a back string. so assless, basically. from experience?
Flashback to Dan's leopard print underwear on the floor. I mean, those weren't assless, but I'm just gonna take from context clues that Dan likes to try creative daring new underwear choices when he wants a break from their basic black CK staple.
mermaid blood wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:52 am12.17 - dan: yoga? downward dog, do it! go, go! (i see a hint of a repressed smile)
Yoga line is extra cute now knowing for sure that they do yoga.
mermaid blood wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:52 am13.32 - jumpcut and dan is eating the marshmallows, phil begs for some, steals some, then dan throws them at him dramatically and starts faux yelling. this entire interaction is just delightful, silly, unselfconscious playfulness with a hint of flirting. phil is especially animated and cheeky and enjoying himself.
14.45 - phil asks dan if they're in the end screen, and dan is surprised. this just perfectly summarises a video where it felt like they were at that delirious, happy stage of being over-tired; the professional act is dropped and their reactions aren't manufactured. significant lack of 'presenter Dan' voice i noted. breaking the 4th wall by asking about the end screen feels like an influence from doing the gaming livestreams, also.
These timestamps read like fanfic. This whole video felt like fanfic.
dansnose
delia smith
Pronouns: she/ her

secretagentphan wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:16 pm VengefulBlue that was beautiful:’)

Completely random and off topic but I wonder if Dan’s hair dresser straightens his hair to cut it? They do that with my girlfriends hair and part of me thinks that’s probably not the correct way to cut curly/wavey hair especially if they don’t wear it straight, but I do see how it would be much easier. And if they did cut it while it was natural, I wonder if Dan could even straighten it and have it look normal even if he wanted to.
hi i have very frizzy puffy wavy hair and currently at the hair dresser for a dye and hair cut!
i get my hair straightened with the cut only if i ask for it but they cut it while it’s in its natural form and wet
idk how dan likes his haircuts tho
kindofatrashcan
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: She/Her

Ohhh!! it's so nice to read all of your origin stories <3 Mine is basically the same... I found Dan in 2015 because i was watching all the press junket for Hunger Games and i didn't like him, i found him obnoxious, i don't know why. Fastforward to may 2016 (i think ) and i found them again first Dan, then Phil and after that the gaming channel. I'm not a big vloggers fan, i'm mostly interested in movie reviews an all that, but D&P... man.... i fell quick and hard in the rabbithole.

I noticed that almost anybody has a slow fall in the phandom, almost all of us get consumed by their content.. why is that? :shrug:

Anyway.. I loved the gaming video. Phil has some issues with candy :D
auri
Pronouns: they/them

I love reading everyone's origin stories, it's so nice to know how and why people got into Deppy. Mine is, idk, pretty common I think? It was 2010 when I first stumbled upon Dan's videos. Yknow, I was an emo teenager who really didn't have friends and stuff, yikes, and this danisnotonfire guy seemed sooo cooool. Also my boyfriend at the time was really into Dan too (they had the same hair, it was bad) and I remember how he got like manners from Dan that then got stuck with me too, it was horrible haha. I found Phil in 2010 too I think, pretty much at the same time as Dan, but I was (and am) dantrash first. For the longest time I was kind of embarrassed that I even watched them, because the phandom can be a little bit intense and tbh horrible, and I might have pretended I didn't even know who Dan and Phil were. I kind of lost interest in them when TABINOF was announced. I still watched the gaming channel then, but I think I got fully back with them probably a year ago. And for the last year they've just made me so damn happy. I was having a really hard time this spring, but the radio shows and the gaming channel literally like... saved me. Idk, I just really like those guys. :lilheart:
dreamerxnheaven
smol bean

The stories how everyone found them are amazing!
I stumbled across them in 2013 on tumblr because someone I followed started reblogging them a lot and at one point I was like 'okay, either you blacklist these phan people or you investigate who they are'.
I knew they were youtubers but i had no idea what their channels were called so i just typed 'phan' into the search bar of Youtube and found a 'cutest moments' video and while i watched it i was like 'ohh so they're a couple who make videos together' and asked in the comment section what their channels are called and how long they've been a couple. Someone then told me that, no, they're not a couple but gave me their channel names and I've been here ever since, feeling guilty as fuck for shipping two real people :'D
Although, as a question to the people here: do you ever feel guilty about shipping them? Because, tbh, i'm not even sure if i would call myself a shipper at this point. It's more that i genuinly believe that they're a couple and not a 'omg i want them to be together so badly!!11' mindset and that kinda feels different to me? Does that even make sense? :shrug:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Soooooo, an anon on tumblr just pointed me toward this... and it is definitely a world tour, not that I think anyone doubted that.

"Interactive introverts" - I'm already okay with the direction that this is going in?
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:09 pm Soooooo, an anon on tumblr just pointed me toward this... and it is definitely a world tour, not that I think anyone doubted that.

"Interactive introverts" - I'm already okay with the direction that this is going in?
So seeing that info is starting to leak out of all corners, I guess the announcement tomorrow is tour-related after all - especially if it's an "interactive" tour and they want us to contribute/participate in any way.
Edit: Ticket sale starting Tuesday next week - definitely announcing this tomorrow so people can be ready with their parents' credit cards.
Last edited by LtrllySusan on Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fancybum
senpai

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:09 pm Soooooo, an anon on tumblr just pointed me toward this... and it is definitely a world tour, not that I think anyone doubted that.

Nooo it's an actual thing... I was weirdly hoping it would just be some kind of m&g tour so I wouldn't care when it doesn't come near me (because I don't want to m or g them, I just want to see how tall they look in person, but still from afar :lol: ) and now this means I need to be very disappointed and jealous all over again. :shakingfist:

No but that's cool for everybody else, have fun! I'll only be extra salty if they forget the internet exists the whole time! And also fuck these websites and bookstores for constantly mildly ruining D&P's surprises :lol:
Poor Phil's job just got harder for the liveshow today.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I'm really fascinated by this. I know we've been discussing tour for weeks now, but this makes it more... real? And it's weird.

I feel like tour really burnt them out a bit last time. So, to me, it's interesting that they're doing it again because they want to. Which means they enjoyed it. And probably not because of the money, because I really don't think it made all that much money for them and there are plenty less... intensive ways for them to make an income.

It's nice, I guess. It's nice to know they like to travel around and see us and that they're ok with that level of effort. Makes me feel all kinds of warm feelings. So, I'm looking forward to this!

Please no drought again though, Dip & Dot. K? Thx.
Secretstanner
truth bomb

rizzo wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:19 pm

I'm really fascinated by this. I know we've been discussing tour for weeks now, but this makes it more... real? And it's weird.

I feel like tour really burnt them out a bit last time. So, to me, it's interesting that they're doing it again because they want to. Which means they enjoyed it. And probably not because of the money, because I really don't think it made all that much money for them and there are plenty less... intensive ways for them to make an income.

It's nice, I guess. It's nice to know they like to travel around and see us and that they're ok with that level of effort. Makes me feel all kinds of warm feelings. So, I'm looking forward to this!

Please no drought again though, Dip & Dot. K? Thx.
Wow im really excited about this! They did so well with their last tour so I’m very interested in going but I don’t know if that Will happen. I’m happy for them they clearly love meet us and preforming on stage but I can’t help this selfish feeling thinking about what Will happen with their YouTube content? Will we get random gaming channel uploads again? I’m scared that if when they are touring I will lose interest. I know I’m being stupid I’m just scared I’m gonna miss them and it hasn’t even been announced yet! Wtf is wrong with me. :( I’m still excited for them.

Edit: also if they are going on sale next Tuesday that’s a really really short amount of time to prepare people to pay for tickets. I would of at least a month or two so I can work out if I can go so I’m a bit worried about that 😐
Last edited by Secretstanner on Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VengefulBlue
rainbow nerd

it sounds less theatrical than tatinof, which is kind of a good thing? i'm so hyped, want more dates/locations asap! :love2:

but ditto fancybum, poor phil. it must be difficult to announce anything when half of us already know (bc venue/store leaks) and the other half are convinced it's a relationship announcement (bc dan phrases things weirdly). tho it did occur to me last night that this must be why they were looking for the announcement moose.
Kimship
glabella

Oh, that's tempting, if I can scrounge up the money. Most of my family lives in the Orlando area so it's easy to stay there. Although if it's a World Tour, they'll probably be coming up my way(NY), in any case.

Still, I love excuses to visit my nieces, too. And to go to Universal and Disney.
dansnose
delia smith
Pronouns: she/ her

IM EXCITED!!!!!!!
but please, for the love of god, let this tour be europe friendly!!
i can’t afford flying to america however i can get to berlin quite cheaply (london too if it’s the only europe they’ll do)

i’m intrigued by what exactly this tour will be and can’t wait for deppy to share it all with us :’)

(jk i’m stressed as fuck help me)
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

dansnose wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:44 pm (jk i’m stressed as fuck help me)
Me too (I'd even call if borderline anxious) and I don't even know why? Someone tell my brain to shut up.
auri

Are they somehow cursed, bc everything they do gets leaked early?

I'm a bit of a downer here, but naah i'm not excited about the tour at all, haha. maybe if i didn't live in periphery it would be different. But also the price is pretty... high? idk, if they come to my country, then yeaaaah maybe i'll try to go and see them but idk. idk. Also gosh those old pictures they're using on the web site??
liola
rankussy

Not that I had any doubt it would be a tour and a pretty big one but jfc tickets on sale next Tuesday already?? ;_; I really cannot afford to buy anything right now (in the eventuality they come in Italy). Whatever it is, I hope there will be an opportunity for people who can't go to somehow witness this. I'm excited and happy for them but I really wish they gave more time to prepare and also they will think about the online audience that won't be able to go!

Loved reading all the stories <3 I've shared mine before but basically saw gifs of them on tumblr for a while, thought they were a couple at first, then homophobic, then watched them casually whenever they popped up in my YouTube front page and started to fall deep into the hole around end of 2014, but never got involved into the actual fandom before end of last year
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
dancy
procrastinator

I saw that a lot of you were sharing your "origin story", so here's mine if you're interested! (I posted this in an introduction thread as well a little while ago)
I haven't actually been a fan of Dan and Phil for very long yet! I'd say it's been a little over 3 months now, though I've known about them since 2012/2013 through tumblr and the comments sections on youtube. I never watched any of their videos aside from some collabs they had done with other youtubers I liked and I'd see them in Youtubers React every now and then.

I do remember watching a couple of their Undertale videos in early 2016 as I was really into Undertale at the time and had just finished watching Jacksepticeye's playthrough of it. I was quite impatient however and couldn't be bothered to watch their entire playthrough of the game as it took them nearly a year to finish it, so I stopped after a few and forgot about them again lol.

Then (at the beginning of August this year) I searched "Layton's Mystery Journey" on youtube because I used to be a big fan of Professor Layton and was interested in seeing the prologue before buying the game myself and that's how I stumbled across DanAndPhilGAMES again. I watched their Layton video, loved it, went to watch some more gaming videos and that's how I "fell in love" with them. After that I decided to check out their main channels as well and spent the next few days burying myself in Dan and Phil content. I haven't caught up with everything yet though since there's quite a lot I've missed over the years. I'm 20 btw.
And it seems we were right about the tour, that's exciting! I feel a bit bad for them though bc once again the news was out before they could announce it themselves. I wonder how many places they'll be going to and whether they'll still make an effort to make videos every now and then, so that the people who can't get tickets can still enjoy their content. I wasn't a fan yet when they were doing TATINOF but as I understand, they didn't upload much during that time and I can see myself and others getting bored if that happens again.
fancybum
senpai

LtrllySusan wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:45 pm
dansnose wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:44 pm (jk i’m stressed as fuck help me)
Me too (I'd even call if borderline anxious) and I don't even know why? Someone tell my brain to shut up.
Hey @LtrllySusan's brain: shush! :D
It's a good exciting time and they weren't trying to Beyoncé it this time around, so it's all good. Maybe the leak even kind of takes some edge off.

Ok so what is this going to be?? All the interactive parts (or similar ideas) from tatinof minus the scripted outline of it all? Just 2 straight (heh) hours of acting out fanfic? I'm joking let's not entertain that idea oh no. Will there be something charity related? (Because is it weird for the write-up to mention their charity ventures? Maybe it's not weird, but it seems weird. No?)
000dia000
emo goose

auri wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:51 pm Are they somehow cursed, bc everything they do gets leaked early?
literally why Dan begun to leak things himself
:cactus:
onomatopoeia
squish

i'm genuinely rly excited for y'all but also super salty bc they will never in a million years come to my country :sideeye:
plz upload regularly deppy or i'm going to drown in boredom again :please:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

000dia000 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:59 pm
auri wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:51 pm Are they somehow cursed, bc everything they do gets leaked early?
literally why Dan begun to leak things himself
I'm more surprised that only one venue posted early.

But also, yeah - I hardly even consider this a leak since Dan has literally spelled out that they were touring again in pretty much every liveshow he's done for the past month. I think the goal was definitely have people respond more with a sense of self-satisfied 'Called it!' than 'wait what the fuck this is new and big and i feel scared and angry.'
liola
rankussy

Now if like it seems tomorrow's announcement is actually about the tour I will forever wonder what the fuck Dan meant with "What is happening this week, other than THE THING" lol
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
DatCog
blobfish

Was just asking my youngest if she wanted to go to the tour and meet them (it was a huge YES!) and then she told me that apparently they’re releasing a coming out video on Friday! Seems this is what her fellow 12 year school friends are thinking after Dan’s ls the other day. I said that I thought it was highly unlikely but it did get me thinking about how different the tour experience would be for both the boys and their fans if their relationship was confirmed. No #busgate2 :lol:
fancybum
senpai

Is there a way to delete wetheunicorns from the entire internet or
VengefulBlue
rainbow nerd

fancybum wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:15 pm Is there a way to delete wetheunicorns from the entire internet or
i second this. haven't yet seen whatever they've done this time, but still.
Last edited by VengefulBlue on Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.