Dan & Phil Part 61: The 2017 Mince Pie Codex

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
onetruetrash
blobfish

Secretstanner wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:26 amAlso with the newest pinof video someone was commenting that they deleted her comments and they clearly don’t want her as a subscriber and she was gonna unfollow them. I went and checked her subscriptions and she did unsub from all of their channels. I asked her how did she know and what was it that she wrote, she said it wasn’t anything insulting. Then she comments a couple hours later again that they deleted more of her comments and then she was really upset. (still no idea what she wrote but she said it was innocent)
I don't see them deleted random comments. She must've said something phan-related. I do kinda feel bad for her though since it sounds like a lot of her comments were getting deleted.

Edit: shit im at the top of the page lol
alch
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: she/her

onetruetrash wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:39 am
Secretstanner wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:26 amAlso with the newest pinof video someone was commenting that they deleted her comments and they clearly don’t want her as a subscriber and she was gonna unfollow them. I went and checked her subscriptions and she did unsub from all of their channels. I asked her how did she know and what was it that she wrote, she said it wasn’t anything insulting. Then she comments a couple hours later again that they deleted more of her comments and then she was really upset. (still no idea what she wrote but she said it was innocent)
I don't see them deleted random comments. She must've said something phan-related. I do kinda feel bad for her though since it sounds like a lot of her comments were getting deleted.

Yeah, it's too bad, but it's most likely just because she posted phan stuff that got a lot of likes.
They clearly don't delete everything shippy because that's practically half their comments but if the other stories of deleting comments are true I guess they're going to delete the most visible ones.
nerdysporks
crusty sponge
Pronouns: she/her or they/them

This is in no way related to Gamingmas or anything, but I was rewatching "My Secret Files" and I noticed this gif that Phil includes at 2:31 which is of Dan lazering off Zoella's face while she and Phil are drawing together at the radio station. I thought it was interesting, because this is typically something we comment on as an example of Dan being jealous as evidenced by his body language and this must be something that someone posted poking fun at him for it and probably motivated by shipping it. Idk. Thoughts?

Starts at 2:31:
hello9217
flower crown

nerdysporks wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:53 am This is in no way related to Gamingmas or anything, but I was rewatching "My Secret Files" and I noticed this gif that Phil includes at 2:31 which is of Dan lazering off Zoella's face while she and Phil are drawing together at the radio station. I thought it was interesting, because this is typically something we comment on as an example of Dan being jealous as evidenced by his body language and this must be something that someone posted poking fun at him for it and probably motivated by shipping it. Idk. Thoughts?

Starts at 2:31:
I remember people talking about it. Mostly people thought it was funny that Phil saved a gif where Dan is lazering Zoella’s face off because he’s jealous. Phil probably just saw the gif floating around Tumblr and saved it because he thought it was humorous but didn’t know the context. Like I think if he did know why someone made it he wouldnt be so blatant in sharing it, especially not when that video was made, which was like 2014? I don’t remember
onomatopoeia
squish

i think i'm just being extremely demon today but why is nobody talking about 3:57 when phil said "am i straight?" (clearly talking about his kart) but dan then said "i dunno phil", and it seemed like he was implying something else...
hmmm... :phangoggles2:
autumnhearth
senpai

I was ecstatic to see the alert on my phone and might have said “yes!” aloud while waiting to bag groceries at Aldi. A tiny part of me was hoping they would sit on the futon for this, like in two of their other gaming challenge videos. But I realize that the desk is quite a bit further away in this set up, it would upset the holiday decorations to move it and well, it’s safer to have a chair back between them.

Which is why I don’t get all the comments on Tumblr along the lines of “this was the gayest thing ever”, or even on here that they were “practically spooning”, because no, not really... it’s just arms. :shrug:

It was cute, fun, funny and entertaining. They were very happy and comfortable, which I realize is progress since the beginning of the gaming channel, but it didn’t feel earth shaking to me? They’ve been becoming more and more relaxed and have been in great moods lately, glowing and cozy and just lovely. This was just more physical, but it didn’t feel intimate or anything.

I don’t *think* I’m disappointed. It was a really good video, the best of Gamingmas so far. I’m glad they took the challenge suggestion and turning it into three challenges worked great (though I left with a more queasy stomach than I began with). I just don’t think it was any more shippy or gay than what we’ve seen lately? I guess it’s fun to call Phil flirty, and I’ve certainly done this recently (spooky golf), but really they were just goofing around and teasing.

Maybe seeing Joe and Caspar vlog/stream from the event today made me realize that oh yeah, other male YouTubers stand wedged in close together and people don’t freak out about that (because they’re straight bros). I think other duos could have done this challenge with the same proximity but it wouldn’t have gotten nearly the same reaction.

Don’t get me wrong, I ship them, I believe they’re in a long term committed relationship and I do think that their chemistry is special and I always enjoy watching for that. I just don’t think there was anything extra “gay” about this video, unless you mean “happy”, in which case it was very gay.

Sorry for being negative, I really did enjoy the video. I’ve just been feeling a bit lost and empty afterwards, like I missed something. I’m glad the phandom is celebrating, I guess my inner demon is just taking a day off. It’s probably time to head to bed. I’ve been under the weather, extra tired and depressed. Don’t mind me.

I am curious as to what exactly Dan meant about us knowing where their lines are. I don’t think it was a coded message (though someone’s mention of his reaction to the chapstick challenge was good food for thought), I just don’t see how today’s video showed us what they are and aren’t willing to do in the future.

ETA: Okay tiny demon thought- why does rock, paper, scissors always make them so damn fond? That’s some cute shit. :love2:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

autumnhearth wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:29 amMaybe seeing Joe and Caspar vlog/stream from the event today made me realize that oh yeah, other male YouTubers stand wedged in close together and people don’t freak out about that (because they’re straight bros). I think other duos could have done this challenge with the same proximity but it wouldn’t have gotten nearly the same reaction.
I actually think you just fully nailed why a lot of people are excited - because two, three years ago what basically everyone said about Dan and Phil was that it was really strange that they were so uncomfortable with each other that they wouldn't even touch on screen, when other youtuber duos who were straight guys or not a couple had no issues doing that. Rewatch the three-legged DDR challenge and Dan literally almost lets Phil wipe out on the floor because Dan is so intent on making sure Phil's hand doesn't touch his hand at any cost.

To go from that to what we got today is still startling for a lot of us. I am not really the person who is ever gonna call a video of theirs "super gay" unless I was being ironic, but this video still gave me the butterflies in the stomach feeling when I thought about it compared to their last handicap video, and casual touching still means way more to me when Dan and Phil do it (because of how many years passed where they wouldn't) than if two straight bro youtubers did it.
alch wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:42 am
onetruetrash wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:39 am

Yeah, it's too bad, but it's most likely just because she posted phan stuff that got a lot of likes.
They clearly don't delete everything shippy because that's practically half their comments but if the other stories of deleting comments are true I guess they're going to delete the most visible ones.
No idea how legit it is, but I got an anon on tumblr that said top comments get pushed down after about an hour.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

They saved gamingmas!

- Because we all know they don't have their own channels anymore (they just both own half of all six channels between them) Dan suggests the next AP video.
- Dan is already an ARMY anyway. Yay kpop jokes.
- Dan tries to diss Phil's exercise shoes and sweatpants, gets met with "Thank you, I really made an effort today!" :lol:
- Dan when Phil touches his neck in phanfic: becomes a moaning mess who screams YES DADDY. Dan when Phil touches his neck IRL (on camera anyway): bitch i will cut you
- "It's so tight" ohhh it's gonna be one of those videos is it?
- "My name is [ Dan ] and I love shoe cars" Phil is determined to troll Dan as hard as possible today.
- lol Phil coughing into Dan's neck, it's what he gets for being loud.
- I bet Dan brings up Phil's English language degree every time he misspeaks like the annoying little shit he is.
- "Hard. HARD. HARDER." :oops:
- Phil has really been rubbing off his capitalist tendencies on Dan, who is now openly asking for Nintende to sponsor them.
- Dan will have none of this between the body and arms bullshit, he's going straight in for a hugging position. :bighug:
- Ugh @ this part with Dan teasing Phil by shoving controllers in his face and Phil giggling. DISGUSTING.
- B U R N I N HELL :onfire:
- How does Phil have any hearing abilities left with Dan screaming into his ear like that jfc.
- Dan prodding Phil's face again, cute ass bastards.
- "We're gonna be symbiotic!" You already are but ok. :thumb:
- "We're in first, I don't know why you're complaining." It's because Dan gotta be OTT about winning Phil, you know this.
- “People that don’t have the psychic communication skills of myself and Phil.” “We just know each other too well.” We get it lads you're couple goals but bragging about it ain't classy.
- Dan has the fondest expression during the Rock Paper Scissors part, plz end me. :garbage:
- Phil might've been the most determinded to troll at the beginning, but I think Dan won this time.
- "You were like third or something." He wasn't and Dan knows it, but he'll secure his husband's podium place even if it's only in his dreams.
- "Have I gone more pale?" With your current lighting I honestly can't tell.. :roll:
- Driving mention again... still don't believe they have a car or are currently considering getting one tho.

Let's hope this will be the turning point for the rest of gamingmas :love2:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
relatablemood
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Videos like this make me realise how much I want them to hug on camera again :( But also that video was so lovely and funny and Phil looked peak.
i want dan's hair and phil's hips
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

The video was so fun. :lilheart: I liked that they didn't just do the one challenge for the whole video, switching it up made the whole video snappier. Could've done without Dan screeching but it wasn't as much as I worried about. :lol: I kinda wanna try the challenges with my s/o, see how bad we'd do.
autumnhearth
senpai

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:44 am
autumnhearth wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:29 amMaybe seeing Joe and Caspar vlog/stream from the event today made me realize that oh yeah, other male YouTubers stand wedged in close together and people don’t freak out about that (because they’re straight bros). I think other duos could have done this challenge with the same proximity but it wouldn’t have gotten nearly the same reaction.
I actually think you just fully nailed why a lot of people are excited - because two, three years ago what basically everyone said about Dan and Phil was that it was really strange that they were so uncomfortable with each other that they wouldn't even touch on screen, when other youtuber duos who were straight guys or not a couple had no issues doing that. Rewatch the three-legged DDR challenge and Dan literally almost lets Phil wipe out on the floor because Dan is so intent on making sure Phil's hand doesn't touch his hand at any cost.

To go from that to what we got today is still startling for a lot of us. I am not really the person who is ever gonna call a video of theirs "super gay" unless I was being ironic, but this video still gave me the butterflies in the stomach feeling when I thought about it compared to their last handicap video, and casual touching still means way more to me when Dan and Phil do it (because of how many years passed where they wouldn't) than if two straight bro youtubers did it.
I get that, I do. And I hope I didn’t come across as too dismissive of people’s reactions. I’m probably just feeling off, and a few more rewatches tomorrow combined with staring at gifs might do the trick. I found myself kind of agreeing with something an anti blog wrote earlier, and well, that’s just not right...
Phantasy
woodland creature

It’s always been just a funny/strange juxtaposition between D&P and youtube lads/bros, especially in view of British Lad culture that has strong homoerotic underpinnings. Caspar and Joe and that whole crew exhibit all sorts of behavior that not even many openly gay friends do around each other, never mind D&P. The British Lads have no problem with close contact, even borderline intimacy, casual nudity, sleeping in the same bed, affection and comments on appearance... I mean, my God... in Joe’s vlog just today he takes a bath with his roommate (for whatever thinly veiled reason), and he consistently openly and casually fawns over Byron’s appearance through this vlogs (can’t blame him); and if you look through the comments, there’s nothing accusing them of being gay, in fact what you’ll find more is “Yay! Friendship goals!!”. If D&P got in the bath together for a video like that, the internet would literally shatter into a million little gay pieces. It’s sorta sad/funny (ironic too?) that the most direct and intimate contact that D&P ever shared on camera was that accidental “we’re friends” hug on stage way back. So, I’m all for this new found comfort of showing more intimate behavior on camera—it doesn’t quite yet feel like it’s leading up to something (sorry chapstick challenge), but it’s a nice direction to be going in!
(I personally think Joe exhibits some classically closeted behavior, but as he’s always publicly identified as straight, I’ll leave it be lest I weaken my point)
Last edited by Phantasy on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

autumnhearth wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:29 am I was ecstatic to see the alert on my phone and might have said “yes!” aloud while waiting to bag groceries at Aldi. A tiny part of me was hoping they would sit on the futon for this, like in two of their other gaming challenge videos. But I realize that the desk is quite a bit further away in this set up, it would upset the holiday decorations to move it and well, it’s safer to have a chair back between them.

Which is why I don’t get all the comments on Tumblr along the lines of “this was the gayest thing ever”, or even on here that they were “practically spooning”, because no, not really... it’s just arms.
:shrug:
It was cute, fun, funny and entertaining. They were very happy and comfortable, which I realize is progress since the beginning of the gaming channel, but it didn’t feel earth shaking to me? They’ve been becoming more and more relaxed and have been in great moods lately, glowing and cozy and just lovely. This was just more physical, but it didn’t feel intimate or anything.

I don’t *think* I’m disappointed. It was a really good video, the best of Gamingmas so far. I’m glad they took the challenge suggestion and turning it into three challenges worked great (though I left with a more queasy stomach than I began with). I just don’t think it was any more shippy or gay than what we’ve seen lately? I guess it’s fun to call Phil flirty, and I’ve certainly done this recently (spooky golf), but really they were just goofing around and teasing.
Don’t get me wrong, I ship them, I believe they’re in a long term committed relationship and I do think that their chemistry is special and I always enjoy watching for that. I just don’t think there was anything extra “gay” about this video, unless you mean “happy”, in which case it was very gay.
Sorry for being negative, I really did enjoy the video. I’ve just been feeling a bit lost and empty afterwards, like I missed something. I’m glad the phandom is celebrating, I guess my inner demon is just taking a day off. It’s probably time to head to bed. I’ve been under the weather, extra tired and depressed. Don’t mind me.
I am curious as to what exactly Dan meant about us knowing where their lines are.
I had the same thoughts as the parts I’ve bolded. Didn’t Phil sit on Dan’s lap for YouTube rewind a couple years back? Or was that an optical illusion. I have never simultaneously hated/envied a back of a chair until this video.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
obvsly
#relatable

autumnhearth wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:54 am I get that, I do. And I hope I didn’t come across as too dismissive of people’s reactions. I’m probably just feeling off, and a few more rewatches tomorrow combined with staring at gifs might do the trick. I found myself kind of agreeing with something an anti blog wrote earlier, and well, that’s just not right...
This is interesting. Do you mind linking us to the post? Please? I don’t follow any of them on tumblr and, honestly, I thought being an antiphan blog these days must be quite lonely. Maybe I’m wrong and there’re still many of them around. Oh well.

I love the video. Have rewatched a few times already. :)
KatjaZoe
sad dimple

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:44 am No idea how legit it is, but I got an anon on tumblr that said top comments get pushed down after about an hour.
I didn't put this in my original post pointing this out, but a big reason I'm pretty sure it was deleted was because when I rewatched the video it was still open on a tab from the first time, so at first i could still see the comment. I tried to look at the replies to the original comment but when I clicked the button no replies showed up. Then I refreshed it and it was gone. Still can't be positive tho :shrug:
(hope that made sense i feel like my wording explaining it was kinda weird lol)

obvsly wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:19 am This is interesting. Do you mind linking us to the post? Please? I don’t follow any of them on tumblr and, honestly, I thought being an antiphan blog these days must be quite lonely. Maybe I’m wrong and there’re still many of them around. Oh well.
I'm not sure if I'm rare, but I'm antiphan. Not that I wouldn't support them being together if I'm wrong. But I've had best friend that I lived with for many years that I was super close to, and people have often thought that we were together -- so much so that even my ex boyfriend messaged me and asked if I was a lesbian now :roll: But point being, since I've been in a similar situation before, all I can see them as are best friends that are extremely comfortable around each other from being together so much. I think it's one of those things where there actually probably are still a decent amount of antis, but shippers are more of the vocal group. It's not as fun to point out reasons why people are just friends lol.
"He's the guy with his flesh on show. What a hoe.
That's. Our. Dan."
:dogue: :dogue: :dogue:
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

All I have to say about this video is that this is a blessing and 2017 Phan/post baking universe phan still manages to surprise me
:transheart:
nøx
spork
Pronouns: they/them

Striderrrrrrrr wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:17 am
nøx wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:55 pm I'm sorry about the almost-double post, I just keep thinking about how it might be neat if they played Hiveswap. I doubt it happening tbh, but I think it could be fun. It's pretty dialogue heavy but imo the dialogue is much more fun and interesting than Dream Daddy, so I feel like it would be worth it. Anyone else with an opinion on this? :D
idk, I just really loved this game and it's made with newcomers in mind (gf was immensely entertained), so it could be enjoyable maybe? Would just love to see their reactions and bants to everything :D
I would love for that to happen! Though it is a LOT to read so idk if they would even finish it. Offtopic but I didn't know there were any other Homestuck fans on here, I'm psyched!
Kurai wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:35 am Another Homestuck/hiveswap fan chiming in! I would LOVE to see deppy play this, you really don't need to know much about Homestuck to enjoy it. However it is SUPER dialogue heavy (I've done like half a let's play of it on my own yt channel and find it really difficult, but maybe it's easier if you have 2 people?)
God, I'm so happy I'm not the only one ahah :lol: It really is a lot of dialogue but I'm thinking it could work if they maybe skip a little on the exploring (or just edit some of it out) in the first part (because funny as everything is, it might be a bit of a drag to watch someone click on stuff and read comments about it.)
As for dialogues with Xefros, correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel that a lot of it is pretty expository, which might make it more interesting? Fans of Homestuck will probably be amused, newcomers will be introduced to an entire alien society through said dialogue, so I think it might lend itself better to gaming videos than eg. dream daddy.

Basically, I'm thinking it would be some really good videos and I'm honestly tempted to suggest it in their youtube comments, I just have doubts if it would fly with their audience. Though Undertale seems popular, and maybe it's just confirmation bias, but uuuuh that Homestuck influence.
Plus it's really pretty, has great music and interesting but simple game mechanics and did I mention it's really funny and also a great opportunity for a series I think :lol: Please do Hiveswap, DipDot

Offtopic
YES HI, I'm also stoked and kinda surprised to see others here, I feel like it's two fandoms that don't really overlap at all, though I could be wrong cause my engagement with both are minimal :lol:
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

A million years late as usual due to the winning combination of living in Australia and working all day, but thought I'd chime in to say that I enjoyed this video significantly more than any of the previous gamingmas 2k17 videos - 8.5/10 from me!
onomatopoeia wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:08 am i think i'm just being extremely demon today but why is nobody talking about 3:57 when phil said "am i straight?" (clearly talking about his kart) but dan then said "i dunno phil", and it seemed like he was implying something else...
hmmm... :phangoggles2:
I noticed this too and it made me laugh, as did the moment at 6:00 when Dan said "Right, come out" and Phil kind of laughed speechlessly. 100% acknowledge that my own biases from being a non-straight person are probs influencing my interpretation of these moments, but 10/10 relatable content tbh.

Also regarding the possible deleted comments, maybe I'm just naive but I can't really see them bothering? Like, there's so much shippy content out there on the internet and it's practically inescapable, would they really be assed to scour the comments sections of their youtube videos for comments they disapprove of? I know they have 'phan' blacklisted, but idk, I just feel like surely they're desensitised by now - also what would be the point? Would deleting comments really have a significant impact on new viewers forming opinions on them? Whom knows I suppose :shrug:
dansnose
delia smith
Pronouns: she/ her

i fully support the idea of deppy playing hiveswap!
i know nothing about homestuck but i played act 1 and enjoyed it! and to quote a friend of mine who was born in 1991 he claimed it was like a 90s nostalgic vibe so i think both dan and phil will really enjoy it!
hoping they pull through soon : D
obvsly
#relatable

KatjaZoe wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:35 am I'm not sure if I'm rare, but I'm antiphan. Not that I wouldn't support them being together if I'm wrong. But I've had best friend that I lived with for many years that I was super close to, and people have often thought that we were together -- so much so that even my ex boyfriend messaged me and asked if I was a lesbian now :roll: But point being, since I've been in a similar situation before, all I can see them as are best friends that are extremely comfortable around each other from being together so much. I think it's one of those things where there actually probably are still a decent amount of antis, but shippers are more of the vocal group. It's not as fun to point out reasons why people are just friends lol.
I can actually see your reasons. ;) I guess my past experience with the antis makes me try my best to avoid them. That's why I don't see them so much now. It's not that I can't see how they might not be together, but I've read so much from the antis who seem to find the idea of them being together repulsive. I decided I could live without this kind of negativity so I unfollowed them all. :mrgreen:
blackdenim
procrastinator

Phantasy wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:01 am

It’s always been just a funny/strange juxtaposition between D&P and youtube lads/bros, especially in view of British Lad culture that has strong homoerotic underpinnings. Caspar and Joe and that whole crew exhibit all sorts of behavior that not even many openly gay friends do around each other, never mind D&P. The British Lads have no problem with close contact, even borderline intimacy, casual nudity, sleeping in the same bed, affection and comments on appearance... I mean, my God... in Joe’s vlog just today he takes a bath with his roommate (for whatever thinly veiled reason), and he consistently openly and casually fawns over Byron’s appearance through this vlogs (can’t blame him); and if you look through the comments, there’s nothing accusing them of being gay, in fact what you’ll find more is “Yay! Friendship goals!!”. If D&P got in the bath together for a video like that, the internet would literally shatter into a million little gay pieces. It’s sorta sad/funny (ironic too?) that the most direct and intimate contact that D&P ever shared on camera was that accidental “we’re friends” hug on stage way back. So, I’m all for this new found comfort of showing more intimate behavior on camera—it doesn’t quite yet feel like it’s leading up to something (sorry chapstick challenge), but it’s a nice direction to be going in!
(I personally think Joe exhibits some classically closeted behavior, but as he’s always publicly identified as straight, I’ll leave it be lest I weaken my point)
I agree with basically everything you say here.

Dan and Phil in this video with the touching each other and teasing each other which we talk about as flirting were acting just exactly like my brothers do when they're playing videogames with each other and trying to annoy one another. I don't think my brothers would get in the bath together (sober at least) but all the other 'bro' behaviour Joe, Casper, etc do, sitting close, sleeping in the same bed making sexual jokes/jokes about each other's sexualities, etc, my brothers do with each other and with their friends and it's not seen as indicative of them being in a relationship at all (obviously!).

I mean the fact that Dan and Phil didn't do it for so many years is what makes it poignant and exciting to us and I get that, and I loved watching them interact intimately (whether that intimacy is in the context of a friendship or romantic relationship is unimportant) in the video. Obviously it's lovely they're more comfortable with one another on camera now and them being happy is the most important thing really!

But if they actually aren't together, they're in a situation where they're damned if they do and they're damned if they don't: refuse to touch or be close on camera and they're 'hiding their relationship from us'. Exhibit behaviour a lot of other close male friends do without any comments on the nature of their relationship, and it's suddenly proof they're together.

I don't know what point I'm trying to make really! I guess that although while this video made my heart go all warm and fuzzy, I don't take it as Phan proof or them leading up to anything - but I also don't think it's anti-proof and just because my brothers and Joe and Casper act like this it doesn't mean there's nothing between D&P either.

Anyway as everyone else has said, it was a great video, my fave of gamingmas so far for sure :)

PS @obvsly I would put myself in the same category as KatjaZoe where I'm not against the idea of them being together at all - in fact, I think it would be lovely - I just... don't think they are. I go back and forth on it a lot but right now I don't think they are. And I'm not really a fan of ardent real-person shipping, so even though I like the idea of them as a couple I don't ever actively look for proof, think about them together, read fic, etc. I dunno if that makes me anti or not

I think there's a huge difference between people who are vehemently opposed to the idea of D&P together and will shout you down even in the face of things that really could be proof, and people who just don't think they're together. For me, similar to Katja, I have witnessed a lot of intense, platonic male friendships amongst my brothers/their friends/the boys I went to school with an a mostly-boys school, and I've also been part of very intense platonic female/female and female/male friendships and I just... don't think D&P's reads any different to any of those, to me. I also think most of the evidence is circumstantial and I am just naturally sceptical of anything like this unless a firm confirmation or denial comes out of the mouths of the people involved. But I appreciate that's quite a narrow view to have and there are a lot of grey areas with D&P which is why I change my mind occasionally.

I tend to think the really vocal, aggressive antis are probably subconsciously homophobic, to be honest. That's the only reason I can imagine being so against the idea of Phan.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Susanisnotafish wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:05 am
autumnhearth wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:29 am I was ecstatic to see the alert on my phone and might have said “yes!” aloud while waiting to bag groceries at Aldi. A tiny part of me was hoping they would sit on the futon for this, like in two of their other gaming challenge videos. But I realize that the desk is quite a bit further away in this set up, it would upset the holiday decorations to move it and well, it’s safer to have a chair back between them.

Which is why I don’t get all the comments on Tumblr along the lines of “this was the gayest thing ever”, or even on here that they were “practically spooning”, because no, not really... it’s just arms.
:shrug:

I am curious as to what exactly Dan meant about us knowing where their lines are.
I had the same thoughts as the parts I’ve bolded. Didn’t Phil sit on Dan’s lap for YouTube rewind a couple years back? Or was that an optical illusion. I have never simultaneously hated/envied a back of a chair until this video.
They sat right next to each other, if Phil had been on Dan’s lap, he would have been higher up and he was still shorter, but they were as close as could be.
liola
rankussy

KatjaZoe wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:35 am
I'm not sure if I'm rare, but I'm antiphan. Not that I wouldn't support them being together if I'm wrong. But I've had best friend that I lived with for many years that I was super close to, and people have often thought that we were together -- so much so that even my ex boyfriend messaged me and asked if I was a lesbian now :roll: But point being, since I've been in a similar situation before, all I can see them as are best friends that are extremely comfortable around each other from being together so much. I think it's one of those things where there actually probably are still a decent amount of antis, but shippers are more of the vocal group. It's not as fun to point out reasons why people are just friends lol.
Whenever I see posts like this I have to resist rolling my eyes, I'm honest. I too live with my best friend for years, we go out to dinner just the two of us, spend nights chatting in bed, hug and have seen each other half naked a bunch of times, yet we're both straight.

But we're different from derpy qnd preppy, as I'm sure you and your best friend are, because our relationship didn't start with strong flirting underlines, didn't travel every 10 days to see each other not even a year after knowing each other, definitely didn't made a love letter in video form for each other.

I know that it's easy to think people believe derpy and preppy are together bc "they act gay!!" But the reality is that the majority of believers are so because we take into account their entire history. And for me it's impossible to see all these details and see two simple bestfriends/housemates :shrug:
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
obvsly
#relatable

blackdenim wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:31 am
Dan and Phil in this video with the touching each other and teasing each other which we talk about as flirting were acting just exactly like my brothers do when they're playing videogames with each other and trying to annoy one another. I don't think my brothers would get in the bath together (sober at least) but all the other 'bro' behaviour Joe, Casper, etc do, sitting close, sleeping in the same bed making sexual jokes/jokes about each other's sexualities, etc, my brothers do with each other and with their friends and it's not seen as indicative of them being in a relationship at all (obviously!).

PS @obvsly I would put myself in the same category as KatjaZoe where I'm not against the idea of them being together at all - in fact, I think it would be lovely - I just... don't think they are. I go back and forth on it a lot but right now I don't think they are. And I'm not really a fan of ardent real-person shipping, so even though I like the idea of them as a couple I don't ever actively look for proof, think about them together, read fic, etc. I dunno if that makes me anti or not
(Sorry for cutting off your post a bit, just to save space.)

I see where you're coming from! I'm actually like this with McFly (the band.) They all have strong chemistry together and are so comfortable with their sexuality that they practically have no boundaries. Their idea of pranking is to kiss and lick each other on stage (gross) and hug when naked (again, gross.) And even though they never actively encourage shipping, they have fun with it. I never felt they're 'queerbaiting' though, they're just weird dads. :lol:

But I think d&p are different. The feelings are different. The history, like @liola said, is different. I know I'm deep in the trash but hey, it's all up to your interpretation. :shrug:
blackdenim
procrastinator

obvsly wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:11 pm
blackdenim wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:31 am

(Sorry for cutting off your post a bit, just to save space.)

I see where you're coming from! I'm actually like this with McFly (the band.) They all have strong chemistry together and are so comfortable with their sexuality that they practically have no boundaries. Their idea of pranking is to kiss and lick each other on stage (gross) and hug when naked (again, gross.) And even though they never actively encourage shipping, they have fun with it. I never felt they're 'queerbaiting' though, they're just weird dads. :lol:

But I think d&p are different. The feelings are different. The history, like @liola said, is different. I know I'm deep in the trash but hey, it's all up to your interpretation. :shrug:
Omg I LOVE McFly so I totally get where you're coming from! I remember shipping culture never really fully took off for them (from the parts of fandom I was in at least) but they'd always try to encourage it with all the Pudd/Flones stuff haha

I take your and liola's points about context/history, etc. but I like I said I'm a natural skeptic and it's just all a bit too open to interpretation for me at the moment! I am willing to have my mind fully changed and I respect everyone else's POVs, but for me, I just won't ever fully believe it unless they confirm it, get married, adopt a kid, or something else that you just wouldn't do with someone you were only platonically involved with. And tbh I don't really care either - I enjoy their content and their dynamic for what it is and whether that's friends or boyfriends doesn't really change much for me!