TV show thread

momoroki
glabella
Pronouns: she/her

angelbeanphil i'm watching bates motel right now! i've only watched the first episode lol, because i had to take a step back and actually watch the original psycho (can you believe ive never watched it smh) but would love to chat about it once i get the chance.

im so surprised that hannibal hasn't made it on here yet because hannibal?? is such a good show??? and for everyone disappointed with sherlock queerbaiting hannibal actually explores hannibal and will's relationship dynamic so well, i'd highly recommend. i wouldn't call it good, healthy, representation for the LGBT community - not at all lol. BUT, I think it really did such a good job in breaking the tired mold of "lol you thought these characters could have potential of being in a relationship because of all of the subtext and clues we placed in the show well you THOUGHT WRONG you GROSS FANGIRL" and i really appreciate that.

- voltron is nice, i was a bit underwhelmed personally because of all the hUGE HYPE but it's good - takes away a lot of stress from the real world
- black mirror ofc, loved san junipero, white bear, and be right back
- thoughts on riverdale anyone?
hated that betty/jughead kiss. what the fuck was that?? no build up whatsoever pls fucking kill me but then again i was a fool to hope for actual ace representation smh i'm really salty about this
it's like the product of a one night stand between high school musical and an actually good show lmao
teamug
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

momoroki wrote:im so surprised that hannibal hasn't made it on here yet because hannibal?? is such a good show??? and for everyone disappointed with sherlock queerbaiting hannibal actually explores hannibal and will's relationship dynamic so well, i'd highly recommend. i wouldn't call it good, healthy, representation for the LGBT community - not at all lol. BUT, I think it really did such a good job in breaking the tired mold of "lol you thought these characters could have potential of being in a relationship because of all of the subtext and clues we placed in the show well you THOUGHT WRONG you GROSS FANGIRL" and i really appreciate that.

- thoughts on riverdale anyone?
I've had Hannibal on my 'to-watch' list since it started airing. And you convinced me to finally get to it. Thank you. Amazing acting, smart writing. Nothing is 'dumbed down', I don't have to get all the psych/legal/police babble/jargon, I've the got the gist, and the show knows it. I love how it all looks. I am about to start season 2 after this comment.
Riverdale
The freaking characters need developing and delving into. Too superficial. And thus the storylines are not interesting.
momoroki
glabella

teamug wrote: I've had Hannibal on my 'to-watch' list since it started airing. And you convinced me to finally get to it. Thank you. Amazing acting, smart writing. Nothing is 'dumbed down', I don't have to get all the psych/legal/police babble/jargon, I've the got the gist, and the show knows it. I love how it all looks. I am about to start season 2 after this comment.
Riverdale
The freaking characters need developing and delving into. Too superficial. And thus the storylines are not interesting.
I'm so glad you enjoyed it :D it only gets better from here. Honestly, Hannibal is my favourite TV series of all time - everything about it is just good shit.

Yeah, I'm still forming my opinion about Riverdale's actual quality as a show, but it remains a guilty pleasure for Friday afternoons. Love Veronica and Jughead
(love Jughead a little less since that Bughead kiss sorry I will never not be salty)
but overall I agree. The characters have so much potential, I kinda feel like I'm waiting for every episode to become really good, have some amazing plot twist or something but it remains average (so far).
Moon
spork

What do you think of 13 reasons why?
I generally liked it because of the theme and how the past and present scenes faded into each other. It was so sad and real at some points especially the last few episodes made me cry.
The end of the last episode bothered me a bit although. It was so open and they packed so many unfinished things in there (Alex, Tyler, Mr. Porter).
That's the plan.
ForeverBeKlainers
tol bean
Pronouns: She, Her

I generally liked it because of the theme and how the past and present scenes faded into each other. It was so sad and real at some points especially the last few episodes made me cry.
i heard a lot about this show and idk, is it worth watching?

+ i bet that someone asked before, but i will do it anyway.
is there some riverdale fandom? :)
yes, we were born to make history
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

@foreverbeklainers, i watch riverdale! i watch it every thursday with my mom. i really like it so far. it's awesome and i love the twists and turns it has.
:transheart:
mio
#relatable

Moon wrote:What do you think of 13 reasons why?
The end of the last episode bothered me a bit although. It was so open and they packed so many unfinished things in there (Alex, Tyler, Mr. Porter).
My sister m´once made me listen to the audiobook of the novel during a car trip, and I remember that I hated it with a passion.
Idk but something about the way it's written really irked me, and it felt insensitive towards the issues at hand. But possibly it was just because I was extremely triggered by some of the content at that time. Well, maybe the show is better.
~ IT'S A HORSE SUSAN ~
ForeverBeKlainers
tol bean
Pronouns: She, Her

@foreverbeklainers, i watch riverdale! i watch it every thursday with my mom. i really like it so far. it's awesome and i love the twists and turns it has.
IKR and jughead is such a cutie! but i'm sure that i won't be able to ship bughead, bc i love jarchie more, they are just literally made for each other
yes, we were born to make history
Moon
spork

mio wrote:
Moon wrote:What do you think of 13 reasons why?
My sister m´once made me listen to the audiobook of the novel during a car trip, and I remember that I hated it with a passion.
Idk but something about the way it's written really irked me, and it felt insensitive towards the issues at hand. But possibly it was just because I was extremely triggered by some of the content at that time. Well, maybe the show is better.
In my opinion the show wasn't that bad. I have to say, I missed something like a shout-out at the end that says 'reach out for help/call this number for help/you are not alone' because I'm pretty sure that many teens can relate to Hannah or suicidal thoughts in general. This would have been pretty helpful since the show is about suicide.
There is no narrator (except if you count Hannah's tapes as a narration) which makes it more sensitive I guess. It's up to the characters and actors to make it emotional and they weren't bad at it.
ForeverBeKlainers wrote:
IKR and jughead is such a cutie! but i'm sure that i won't be able to ship bughead, bc i love jarchie more, they are just literally made for each other
I love Riverdale! A murder is not the most innovative story idea but I really like the execution. I like that it focuses a lot on the characters who are really great (Jughead ). But I'm upset that the creators added a love interest to Jughead. He should stay asexual like he is in the comics.
That's the plan.
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

Do people here have thoughts about Doctor Who? I used to be a big fan a few years ago but have only watched a handful of episodes during the 12th Doctor's run. Now that Moffat is stepping down and we'll get a new Doctor, I might actually get back to watching the series.

pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

ah yes doctor who the show everyone was into for ages and then when he reincarnated into the 12th doctor everyone hated it but uh haven't watched it since matt smith left and even then i only got half way through the 11th doctor's time on the show and didnt finish it bc they took it off netflix. did watch the 9th and 10th doctors run on there though. good shit man

i might start watching it again now. maybe. i don't know yet.
:transheart:
teamug

Marvelous Mrs Maisel
Love it. It's so funny. And I was so surprised that this is created by the same woman behind gilmore girls. tho that explains the terrific dialogue. I'm trying to come up with a spoiler free summary, but honestly I can't, just give it a go, it's on amazon.
Jane the Virgin
Probably quite well-known and watched, it is hilarious and sweet and warm. the immaculate conception, sort of, the narrator is a fantastic add.
Superstore
I may have talked about this show before, or someone else mentioned it, but it deserves many more accolades.
This past summer I watched a Thai series "Part Time", I was watching a bunch of other thai series, but this is the only one I've seriously enjoyed. About a group of youths who go to university and have part time jobs. I thought the acting and story were more believable and portrayed better than the few other thai shows i'd watched. Very disappointed that the show seems to not have a second season planned.
The Good Place
is good.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I have never heard of Marvelous Mrs Maisel, but your description has me intrigued and I do live Gilmore Girls... so I think I'm gonna give it a shot.

I'm really loving The Good Doctor right now. Also, The Good Place if anyone hasn't seen that yet. For Netflix binge watching, Alias Grace was really captivating as I marathon watched it.

I work from home and need background noise to keep from going stir crazy so if anyone has any other binge watch ready shows (even just ones that have a full season online somewhere) I would love to see this thread revived!
fancybum
senpai

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:39 pm Alias Grace was really captivating as I marathon watched it.
Just went looking for that thinking 'that'll be a good use of my day off' and... it's a Canadian production... based on a Margaret Atwood novel... and it's not on Netflix Canada. Cool cool cool, maybe next year..

Binge-worthy things (imo):
Glitch: a show about dead people coming back for ~reasons unknown~. I just finished the 2nd season a few days ago and it's very good. I hate one of the characters and I don't know if it's the writing or their cardboard acting (maybe both!) but apart from that I basically loved everything about it. Death fucks you up, who knew?

Wentworth: Australian women's prison drama. Stressful- why can't people in prisons just like, chill out and mind their own business- but I got sucked in for 3 seasons. Haven't watched the most recent one though.

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency: watched this last xmas and loved it (but my brother hated the Dirk Gently character and finds him grating even though he likes Sherlock, so ymmv)- I hate to call something quirky but it's quirky af and just like. delightful. and weird. and I loved it and can't wait for S2 hopefully this month? I've already started an anticipatory rewatch.

Lady Dynamite: just watch it if you enjoy laughter
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

If you get HBO, I'd recommend The Leftovers. Three seasons of 8-10 episodes each. The premise is that an arbitrary 2% of the people on each vanish in an instant one afternoon. The book it's based on (which I've read) focuses on the psychological impacts on everyone "leftover"; the show adds some supernatural elements, but with fairly light touch--so a lot of characters think other characters are crazy, since had different access to different elements. Might be too distracting for background though. :shrug: :ribena:
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
greenergrass
stress mushroom

Since there's a new season of Black Mirror coming out soon (I'm so excited!), I thought I'd come see what everyone's thoughts are on it. I discovered the show last year through one of Dan's liveshows, and binge watched the first 3 seasons. It is such an incredible show! My favourite was definitely "Shut Up and Dance" because I was blown away by the ending and left sitting shell-shocked (won't spoil it in case someone hasn't watched it yet).

I know "San Junipero" was also a fan favourite - I liked it, probs in my top 5? Also, I just want to point out that San Junipero had probably the happiest (still bittersweet, but quite positive) ending of any Black Mirror episode, and it just so happened to be a queer couple. I mean, I'm not saying there is any correlation, but I am saying that all het episodes ending badly, so I think there's some kind of lesson to be learned here... hahah

What are your guys' favourite episodes?
000dia000
emo goose

whatdoiknow wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:59 pm Since there's a new season of Black Mirror coming out soon (I'm so excited!), I thought I'd come see what everyone's thoughts are on it. I discovered the show last year through one of Dan's liveshows, and binge watched the first 3 seasons. It is such an incredible show! My favourite was definitely "Shut Up and Dance" because I was blown away by the ending and left sitting shell-shocked (won't spoil it in case someone hasn't watched it yet).

I know "San Junipero" was also a fan favourite - I liked it, probs in my top 5? Also, I just want to point out that San Junipero had probably the happiest (still bittersweet, but quite positive) ending of any Black Mirror episode, and it just so happened to be a queer couple. I mean, I'm not saying there is any correlation, but I am saying that all het episodes ending badly, so I think there's some kind of lesson to be learned here... hahah

What are your guys' favourite episodes?
Dan and Phil too introduced me to the series in a live show!
Shut up and Dance really fucked me up. I think I had watched the entire second series over a while day too so I went to bed that night seriously anxious.

I too loved the San Junipero episode, particularly that I didn't are the romance coming, I just thought I was seeing things :ROFL:

I say that White Bear was my favourite. It was incredible with how it turned and surprised you like that half way through. Watching it initially, I was okay with it being a kind of generic dystopian episode, but Jesus Christ that twist.

I think I'm mostly looking forward to the Star Trek inspired episode, mostly because of the fact it's so specific I just wonder what they have in mind. It must be interesting?!
:cactus:
greenergrass
stress mushroom

000dia000 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:16 pm Dan and Phil too introduced me to the series in a live show!
Shut up and Dance really fucked me up. I think I had watched the entire second series over a while day too so I went to bed that night seriously anxious.

I too loved the San Junipero episode, particularly that I didn't are the romance coming, I just thought I was seeing things :ROFL:

I say that White Bear was my favourite. It was incredible with how it turned and surprised you like that half way through. Watching it initially, I was okay with it being a kind of generic dystopian episode, but Jesus Christ that twist.

I think I'm mostly looking forward to the Star Trek inspired episode, mostly because of the fact it's so specific I just wonder what they have in mind. It must be interesting?!
Shut Up and Dance was what finally made me put a sticker over my webcam lol. I started watching the episode and was like, I can't keep watching without putting a sticker over my webcam because it was freaking me out. But holy fuck, the way they made you care about the boy so much, and then the end just fucks you up. So so good.

I really like White Bear, but I was slightly spoiled because I had watched Shut Up and Dance first then read reviews of it, and in the reviews they mentioned it was similar to White Bear in that you're rooting for the main character and then it gets turned around at the end. So I already kinda knew there was going to be a twist at the end, but it was still a really good episode. I wished I had gone into it unspoiled.

The war one was also incredible and quite chilling (just looked it up, the one called Men Against Fire), because it was way too real. We may not have the technology they had in the episode, but the mentality is way too accurate.
teamug

Grace and Frankie on Netflix. I just love that show. It makes me happy and feel good, but also horrible that I don't have a Grace or Frankie in my live (or even a deppy half). Two older women do their thing when their husbands come out and get married to one another.

Rewatching Lost Girl for the nth time, but for some reason I keep getting distracted and going off to watch something else.

The new Star Trek Discovery on netflix. I want to say I love it and that it's awesome, the scope of actors is terrific (don't want to sound obnoxious saying that) but my issue lays with the plot and I don't know if its a pacing issue or I'm just not catching on quickly enough but I am lost half the time, no idea what is happening and how something came to be, and it seems as if at times if I space out even for a moment I miss some major development and yet other storylines drag on for atleast 5 mins.

still piffed off about dark matter getting cancelled. and why is killjoys on netflix but not dark matter.
teamug

Because netflix kept throwing them at me, I watched Bright and Altered Carbon (spoiler in case you don't want to read my thoughts on either: both are not good)
Bright in which will smith plays a cop and there are orcs around, tensions between races. It's not subtle in any manner, very very pointed, not so much on the nose, as in your nose. Does the movie (btw I was prepared for a miniseries, not a movie) carry a heavy and important message? yes. Is it heavy handed and annoying? more than yes. It was reflective of today, but there was no "be better" message, atleast to me, and I disliked all the characters.
As for altered carbon. pissed me off. fin. the makers have obviously seen GoT and thought let's be progressive, by showing naked/semi-naked bodies and some sex and preludes to sex and a little blood and then a lot of gore. Note: GoT is not progressive or radical or in any way ahead of the times, nor has it lit the way for other progressive shows. Sense8 is progressive, OZ was progressive. Sex and freaking city was progressive. GoT is the Friends of this generation. I may sound like I hate GoT, I don't actually, watched it all, but it gets lauded and praised for stuff that's been done before, GoT just has fancy green screen shots. Back to Altered Carbon, trying to think of a more conservative heteronormative pile of mess, but none come to mind. The series has taken the morals, values, stereotypes of the 50s and inserted it into a futuristic scifi show. At the start I got deja-vu vibes of a tv show called Second Chance (aired a few yrs ago) and I remember enjoying that a lot more than this expensive miniseries. The only thing I liked about alt carb was a hotel (don't want to spoil, but the hotel is very cool). The series long crime solving stint is boring, I would have rather the focus have be on how/why their society is the structure it is?

Dirk Gently has been a blessing. Innovative, creative, different. I like all the characters, even the villans. There is comedy and drama and so much to sink your teeth into. I wanted to start a rewatch as soon I finished. Recommended. Go watch. Seriously.
Lain
eclipse shirt

teamug wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:08 pm Dirk Gently has been a blessing. Innovative, creative, different. I like all the characters, even the villans. There is comedy and drama and so much to sink your teeth into. I wanted to start a rewatch as soon I finished. Recommended. Go watch. Seriously.
Seconding that recommendation! Gutted that it was cancelled. Probably futile, but there is a change.org petition going around calling for Netflix to renew the series!
greenergrass
stress mushroom

Has anyone else watched The End of the Fucking World? It's an 8 episode British dark comedy series that's on Netflix. I watched it all in one night last Sunday (thank god Monday was a holiday), and I already want to watch it again. I actually found it from an ad on youtube, and I never look into anything from youtube ads, but I thought it looked intriguing. I was worried it was gonna be silly, as all I knew was the basic premise of the show, and I wasn't sure if it was going to go down a weird/dumb route. But I was hooked after the first episode and really liked. I'm not sure how I feel about the ending. I think there's talks of a second season, which I'm not sure the show needs but I'll totally take it.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

whatdoiknow wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:06 pm Has anyone else watched The End of the Fucking World? It's an 8 episode British dark comedy series that's on Netflix. I watched it all in one night last Sunday (thank god Monday was a holiday), and I already want to watch it again. I actually found it from an ad on youtube, and I never look into anything from youtube ads, but I thought it looked intriguing. I was worried it was gonna be silly, as all I knew was the basic premise of the show, and I wasn't sure if it was going to go down a weird/dumb route. But I was hooked after the first episode and really liked. I'm not sure how I feel about the ending. I think there's talks of a second season, which I'm not sure the show needs but I'll totally take it.
I totally agree with you! I thought it was going to be super cheesy, and I'm so glad I was wrong. I also binged it, and while I think my feeling of wanting more after it ended had more to do with watching it for four consecutive hours, I thought the ending fit really well with the series. Considering it's based off of a comic series, I'm curious how the show followed it, and if a second season is necessary just going off of the original work. But like you said, I'll take one on a heartbeat haha.
sonicgreen
woodland creature

obsessivelymoody wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:21 am
whatdoiknow wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:06 pm Has anyone else watched The End of the Fucking World? It's an 8 episode British dark comedy series that's on Netflix. I watched it all in one night last Sunday (thank god Monday was a holiday), and I already want to watch it again. I actually found it from an ad on youtube, and I never look into anything from youtube ads, but I thought it looked intriguing. I was worried it was gonna be silly, as all I knew was the basic premise of the show, and I wasn't sure if it was going to go down a weird/dumb route. But I was hooked after the first episode and really liked. I'm not sure how I feel about the ending. I think there's talks of a second season, which I'm not sure the show needs but I'll totally take it.
I totally agree with you! I thought it was going to be super cheesy, and I'm so glad I was wrong. I also binged it, and while I think my feeling of wanting more after it ended had more to do with watching it for four consecutive hours, I thought the ending fit really well with the series. Considering it's based off of a comic series, I'm curious how the show followed it, and if a second season is necessary just going off of the original work. But like you said, I'll take one on a heartbeat haha.
End of the Fucking World was maybe the greatest shock of the year so far, I didn't expect to find it nearly as charming as I did. Ticks all my boxes for a dark comedy, for sure. I think the greatest thing was how complete it was of a series— no worries about a full 7 year haul, just a good cohesive story in 8 episodes, brilliant. Definitely recommend for anyone looking for extreme deadpan humor and the worst possible scenarios. :lol:
greenergrass
stress mushroom

obsessivelymoody wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:21 am
Yeah, I wasn't sure what direction they were going to take it in, and I was happy with where it went. It was like a crazy, fairly unrealistic plot line (like in terms of, not a common thing teenagers go through), but at the same time very real in terms of the core themes of the show. I also think me wanting more had to do with bingeing it all until like 3am. But also because I'm in love with Alyssa so I just want more of her (and also James; I realized part way into the first episode that it was the same actor from my favourite episode of Black Mirror, so that was a plus). I read a couple posts after finishing the show, and I think they said they mostly followed the comics - the 2 main differences were a change in who the cops were (don't want to spoil anything so I'll keep that vague) and also that there was a ending coda in the comics that left things less vague. So basically yes, since the ending wasn't quite as definitive as the comics, there still is an opening for a potential second season.
sonicgreen wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:41 am End of the Fucking World was maybe the greatest shock of the year so far, I didn't expect to find it nearly as charming as I did. Ticks all my boxes for a dark comedy, for sure. I think the greatest thing was how complete it was of a series— no worries about a full 7 year haul, just a good cohesive story in 8 episodes, brilliant. Definitely recommend for anyone looking for extreme deadpan humor and the worst possible scenarios. :lol:
Yep, agreed. I love British humour, and this definitely fulfilled that. And yeah see, I agree with you that it was complete how it was and doesn't need more episodes. Part of me really doesn't want another season because it's great how it is as, like you said a good cohesive story in only 8 episodes, and I don't want it to be ruined. But at the same time, like I mentioned above, I just really want to see more of those characters.