Dan & Phil Part 62: Cat Master and Boy-slave

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

Catallena wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:32 pmI'm amused that they still call it the danisnotonfire channel despite the rebranding. Didn't Dan say DINOF as well in his liveshow? It will never really die. :lol:
I'm more amused that Phil referred to it as "the danisnotonfire channel" instead of "your channel" - the more time passes the more I'm convinced that they really do just consider it all their combined empire, they just happen to have slightly more individual control over the individual main channels.
howadorableright
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Just popping in to say that I loved that video so much and would really love an entire lets play of the genocide run (yes ik it's not practical and definitely won’t happen—I can dream) I'm personally a huge undertale fan and got super into the game and the story and the theories so honestly I will just lap up any undertale deppy content bc it makes me nostalgic and it's just such a great game. The genocide run is pretty brutal if you do the pacifist run first and get to know the characters like Dan (and I) did, and I kinda want to see how Phil reacts to everything. I'm also a sucker for Papyrus Phil
even though there isn’t nearly as much Papyrus in the genocide run :dead:
Anyway, I know it’s an unpopular opinion but I really just want more undertale content lol
back back back back again
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:43 pm
Catallena wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:32 pmI'm amused that they still call it the danisnotonfire channel despite the rebranding. Didn't Dan say DINOF as well in his liveshow? It will never really die. :lol:
I'm more amused that Phil referred to it as "the danisnotonfire channel" instead of "your channel" - the more time passes the more I'm convinced that they really do just consider it all their combined empire, they just happen to have slightly more individual control over the individual main channels.
I think the same. They schedule videos in such a way that nothing will clash, they run every idea for a video by each other, help each other film and edit... almost every video put out on any of their channels these days is a joint effort.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Secretstanner
truth bomb

Undertale video was good. But because they genuinely love the game and watching them being interested in the games they play can change my mood. I wish they played a bit more of genocide because the whole undertale series is my favourite thing they have done. When they first started it in the beginning of last year it took me about 5 times to watch the first episode coz I just couldn’t take the time to sit and watch a video for a hour or more but then I forced my self to watch it and ended up loving the whole thing and actually rewatch it every few months if I’m having problems with my mental health. Every time I rewatch I pick up on things I missed before that makes me appreciate it more. There is something about this series that makes me feel better and less stressed when it should be the opposite because all the screaming in fights but I love it.

As for dans live shows changing :cry: please don’t take them from me!!!!!! His live shows are my favourite dan content because he makes individual videos once every month just listening to him ranting about tv shows and learning his opinions on things is amazing. I may rely on this live shows too much and I don’t know how I’m gonna cope with them not having a set upload schedule with anything now. Not gonna lie I would rather have their solo liveshows then more gaming live streams.

But anyway I’m excited for next year with their tour and dan seems excited for next year to be “wholesome” but who’s he kidding I’m gonna be stressed as hell. I hope dan does actually stick to the plan of making content he thinks he should be making that represents him but this is dan and it took him like half a year into 2017 to actually rebrand fully so :roll: I guess we will see
howadorableright
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Catallena wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:48 pm
I think the same. They schedule videos in such a way that nothing will clash, they run every idea for a video by each other, help each other film and edit... almost every video put out on any of their channels these days is a joint effort.
Kinda reminds me of how Dan will say if there's going to be an upcoming AP video as a part of their regular schedule

sorry this sentence is incoherent nonsense i’m in the middle of studying for exams and i’m going off two hours of sleep
back back back back again
blackdenim
procrastinator

Catallena wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:32 pm
It's not really a trend, more like an iconic historical item being put into a modern setting. Fabergé was a Russian jeweler known for making jeweled Easter eggs for the Romanov family. They were made from precious metals and gems and super expensive. They simply put the most iconic creation of the House Fabergé on a necklace for the modern consumer. As far as it being worn on the back, that has been a (usually high end) thing for quite a few years now. It looks nice with a dress that has an open back. Jennifer Lawrence had a look like that when she won her Oscar.

Whether you think the price is worth it, that's personal of course. I'd rather have a shiny egg than those basic ugly Cartier bracelets I see everywhere aka the only proof we need that you can't buy good taste :') Not that I can afford either lmao.
ty, I love wearing back-necklaces and was feeling very attacked in this thread tonight :lol:
greenergrass
stress mushroom

Re: Undertale vid - Looks like there's quite a bit of a divide between people enjoying this video and not so much. I really liked it; it was great to see Dan so into the game, and I actually kind of like when he gets to show off how good he is at something. He gets a bit cocky in a way, like kind of that he wants to show off how good he is while trying not to appear too cocky? I don't know if this makes sense, but I relate to this so much and if you're the same then I think you'll get what I mean. I (and Dan), am a weird mix of insecure and confident, and when I'm good at something I want people to notice but I never want to outright brag (but do end up kind of bragging in a roundabout way). This is a complete tangent now.

I also loved watching Phil in this video. I think I watched him more than the actual gameplay. I loved seeing him just being super supportive (and definitely proud) of Dan. I imagine after Dan beat this the first time last Christmas, he probs called or texted Phil all excited about it. Phil definitely doesn't have the same competitive edge as Dan, but he understands how important this kind of thing is to Dan so he gets just as excited.

One of my fav parts was near the end when Dan cheered, and so Phil genuinely cheered too, and Dan was just like wtf are you cheering for you don't even know what happened, and Phil was like I dunno you cheered so I did too.
Catallena wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:48 pm
I definitely agree they consider the channels a joint effort. Just curious though, did they ever post videos on both their channels on the same day in the past, or is this a fairly new development in the past couple years? It seems like it just seems like common sense to spread things out between their channels (including live shows) since they have such an overlap of an audience (even back in the day I'm sure they had a huge audience overlap); it wouldn't make sense for them to have ever "competed" in a sense and posted on the same day. I'm not negating the fact that nearly everything about their channels now is a joint effort, probably more so than in the past. I just think it would have been silly for them to have ever clashed on scheduling.
Last edited by greenergrass on Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loafer
sofa crease

I ate my first ever mince pie today and while I enjoyed it a lot, I can’t imagine eating the volume dnp have this month :lol:

I don’t find Dan’s yelling irritating at all, only because it’s always just a dramatic reaction to something frustrating or whatever that happened. It’s emotive, and it actually keeps me engaged and like, tuned into them? If he was yelling just for no reason or at ever little thing, then yes I would be annoyed, but it feels more like a dramatized version of a real reaction and it doesn’t bother me at all. Usually it makes me laugh. What DOES annoy me is the fake gloating, like boy I know you don’t actually care this much. Honestly, 9/10 times I get more annoyed at Phil, especially during the overcooked and fb&lg streams. Him not thinking or seemingly not paying attention to what’s going on always drives me crazy, idk if he’s just trying to be funny or if he loses all focus when there’s a live audience or what but I do get genuinely irritated with him.

Undertale was fine, since I’ve watched people do the sans fight so many times it’s oddly relaxing for me now. Totally opposite to other people here it seems, but I was weirdly zen and contented after getting to watch them play it. Not my fave this gamingmas by a long shot, but still enjoyed it and I’m glad they played it!
tyhane
delia smith

Loafer wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:12 am I don’t find Dan’s yelling irritating at all, only because it’s always just a dramatic reaction to something frustrating or whatever that happened. It’s emotive, and it actually keeps me engaged and like, tuned into them? If he was yelling just for no reason or at ever little thing, then yes I would be annoyed, but it feels more like a dramatized version of a real reaction and it doesn’t bother me at all. Usually it makes me laugh. What DOES annoy me is the fake gloating, like boy I know you don’t actually care this much. Honestly, 9/10 times I get more annoyed at Phil, especially during the overcooked and fb&lg streams. Him not thinking or seemingly not paying attention to what’s going on always drives me crazy, idk if he’s just trying to be funny or if he loses all focus when there’s a live audience or what but I do get genuinely irritated with him.
I'm one of the people that does tend to dislike Dan's yelling (well, I dislike "gamer rage" coming from anyone, not just Dan), and I actually find his over-the-top competitiveness and gloating endearing/funny, but I def understand where you're coming from with getting annoyed at Phil. It seems to me that in gaming videos he will occasionally do things to rile Dan up and/or see his reactions, which I don't usually mind (actually I usually like it). But with the streams, idk, I think it's a genuine thing with having to perform in front of a live audience. I know he's mentioned not performing well under pressure, and I think he wasn't exaggerating. Also, back in the day I used to dabble in recording gameplay, and I always did so much worse than my usual skill level even with it not being a live thing. So I can see that happening for him too - I can't imagine him being as bad as he is during the Overcooked streams when him and Dan were playing it themselves and 3-starring everything.

A few people mentioned this awhile back, but it also seems to be somewhat of a loop. Phil does badly for whatever reason, Dan does his yelling thing, which puts Phil under more pressure (whether from the yelling itself or from realizing that there are people bothered by it I'm not sure), which causes him to do even more badly, Dan yells more, etc... For someone that gets bothered by both the yelling and Phil messing up, it makes most of the streams not very enjoyable, I'll tell you that much. :rofl:

It makes me feel bad for him a little, since as I said I do believe it's a genuine thing and not just him trying to be funny or whatever, but that doesn't change the fact that it's not very pleasant for me to watch. :shrug: The only game streams that don't seem to have this problem have been the Mario Kart ones, which I've loved.
parallel
phabergé

I liked the video! Excuse me if I sound a bit snobbish but I do prefer "real gameplay" as opposed to just them messing around on a flash game. I still like regular DAPG videos, but I love it when we get the occasional serious video.

Also, "I took a lot of bones to get this experienced"... smh, someone stop this man
whelpkeeper
sad dimple
Pronouns: they/their

Count me as one of the people that loved today's video! I'm a big Undertale fan (though I watched Cryaotic's play-through, not theirs yet oddly enough) and I do like the more "real" gaming so I was all over this video. Plus it was nice seeing Dan playing something he really liked and was good at- I was actually kinda shook he could still make it all the way through after about a year, I was on the edge of my seat until the very end.

Not to mention the cute domestic bits with tea and supportive Phil :love2: this is definitely one of my favorites of Gamingmas thus far.
The air soft as that of Seville in April,
and so fragrant that it was delicious to breathe it.
daichii
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: she | her

liked it but jacksepticeye has the best genocide series imo so it didn't feel as great as his as i kept comparing it, I wish they would have appreciated the music a bit more

the domestic bit with the tea was precious tho
alien
procrastinator

I loved the video and I loved their Undertale series. I will say though that the genocide run is genuinely so unsettling and creepy but it's completely lost when you just jump into the Sans fight. I still think it's really interesting gameplay and I've watched today's video now 3 times though. But I totally understand why some might find it boring. Anyway my favorite part(s) of the video is basically 16:37 onwards how intense they both get, Dan's wavy hands trying to answer Phil's question, watching Dan's eyes move as he plays (specifically 16:59), him immediately dying and screaming fuck, the way he sounds when telling Phil about it killing him 9 times before, "i've got blood in my mouth phil", the next three times Dan dies (and screams), the look Phil gives Dan when saying, "We need to stop" but gives in to one more go, Phil screaming because Dan started screaming, festive spice tea (they are so british icb). Ok that was a bit lazy timestampy but I couldn't resist. I love this video :love2:

Onto another topic, anytime they mention going home for Christmas and spending several days with their families it always surprises me a bit lol. I spend Christmas day with my family but that's it. I can't imagine spending several days with them and I know that says more about my family than anything. But genuinely good for them having nice families they actually enjoy spending time with. I do think it's more likely they don't head home until the day or two before Christmas because I do not think they have planned that far ahead with gamingmas. Which is another thing I was going to mention, I think the first handful of gamingmas was just a way to get through the games they had no real interest in but kept getting requests for. So why not whack them out at the beginning that way people can stop bringing those games up.
lionheart
squish

As much as I love Phil, did anybody get a little annoyed when he was like 'we have to stop! we have to stop!' just as Dan was getting close to beating Sans?! Like, are ya freaking serious Phil??? That would have been lame as hell

Edit: just to add that I notice Phil doing this a lot in gaming videos (occasionally Dan does it too but mostly Phil). Like I get that they have to set a time limit for filming but it's frustrating to see him trying to cut something short prematurely like that. He kept doing the same thing with Mario Kart, saying that they didn't need to finish the final laps :roll: just takes some of the enjoyment away for me because you can tell he's trying to get a specific quota of content and wants to move on as fast as possible. I do still wonder how the gaming channel would be if Dan did more solo stuff - I think we'd have gotten longer videos and probably more gameplay :shrug:
Last edited by lionheart on Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Secretstanner
truth bomb

lionheart wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:55 am As much as I love Phil, did anybody get a little annoyed when he was like 'we have to stop! we have to stop!' just as Dan was getting close to beating Sans?! Like, are ya freaking serious Phil??? That would have been lame as hell
I mean to be fair we have literally no idea how long they were there playing the game. If I wasn’t the one playing and just watching I would wanna quit aswel. I’m glad that they finished it but as an impatient person I would have given up.
lionheart
squish

Secretstanner wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:04 am
lionheart wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:55 am As much as I love Phil, did anybody get a little annoyed when he was like 'we have to stop! we have to stop!' just as Dan was getting close to beating Sans?! Like, are ya freaking serious Phil??? That would have been lame as hell
I mean to be fair we have literally no idea how long they were there playing the game. If I wasn’t the one playing and just watching I would wanna quit aswel. I’m glad that they finished it but as an impatient person I would have given up.
I guess but as someone who's a very persistent person with stuff like that - when you get that close to beating a boss you don't give up for anything :lol: we don't know how long they were filming for but it genuinely looks like the amount of takes we saw (I know we saw snippets of a lot of them) was the actual amount of tries it took Dan, which was pretty impressive.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Can I just say how impressed I am that we're 19 days into Gamingmas and it's as if Dream Daddy never existed. Daddy dating simulator? On DanandPhilGames? I know not of what you speak.

Phil briefly mentioned it had too many words and that was the end of that.

RIP Dream Daddy - we barely knew ya. :dead:

I should note I'm not actually sad about this. Can I get a Chopstick Challenge 2.0?
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

If this is accurate, I do not blame phil at all for wanting them to quit! :lol:

That being said, I didn’t really like this video today, even though I loved them playing undertale. :shrug:
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr
hello9217
flower crown

rizzo wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:20 am Can I just say how impressed I am that we're 19 days into Gamingmas and it's as if Dream Daddy never existed. Daddy dating simulator? On DanandPhilGames? I know not of what you speak.

Phil briefly mentioned it had too many words and that was the end of that.

RIP Dream Daddy - we barely knew ya. :dead:

I should note I'm not actually sad about this. Can I get a Chopstick Challenge 2.0?
I was thinking this as well. I remember Dan hinting that they could pick it up again for gamingmas but I suppose that was just a pipe dream.
lionheart
squish

confusedpanda wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:36 am
If this is accurate, I do not blame phil at all for wanting them to quit! :lol:

That being said, I didn’t really like this video today, even though I loved them playing undertale. :shrug:
Lol what was Phil expecting though? I get that he probably never looked up what that fight was like before but it's renowned for being a difficult fight, an hour and a half isn't even bad. But then maybe I'm in a minority here. I speedrun, so I repeatedly play the same games over and over trying to beat them in a particular time and that is one hobby that requires patience, persistence and dedication (and a little dash of crazy) :lol: so I wouldn't have wanted to see Dan give up there at all, that would have just made the video a total letdown for me :?

Also more to my point is that Phil tries to cut things short a lot :shrug: like he didn't even wanna finish the matches when they did the Mario Kart challenges, he was trying to cut them before the final laps. But, yeah, it's just a pet peeve I have personally.
swofro
angel bean

Oh my god, that video was amazing and exhilarating and it feeds me the amount of adrenaline rush I didn't know I need and I feel like I can spit rainbows at the end of it. F me :happytyper:

I also have caved in sometimes this year and watch jacksepticeye genocide run, which is great. I also remember that time when he faces sans and write down notes and stuff, and I understand dan had played it on his own before but he does much better than sean. And yes, I am comparing them in my head, which is totally unfair. Tldr, both were good, this vid is great. After I finish playing undertale on my own sometimes last year, I think dan have great reaction time, which let be honest, probably hon by his hours upon hours playing guild wars, which makes him a 'good' gamer and making me more satisfied watching him playing games. I also love how passionate he is playing it which makes me excited in return, which is the most important thing to me.

I understand that people who have lack to no interest in undertale and unfamiliar with genocide route as a whole might find this boring because what the hell, boss fight with no context? (but i do sometimes watches boss fight from other games with no context because I love watching lets play and yes, I know the concept of watching other people play games is still a bit silly)

Watching the divisive reaction on this video makes me understand a bit more deppy's decision in playing videos of different genres. Because I can't honest to god comprehend why did they make that poptropica video but maybe, just maybe, there are other people who enjoys it as much as I enjoy this video.

But when will they touch a Capcom game is my question :pls:

Re: Dan yelling
I hate it, I hate it with vengeance when it is not because his character dies or something. Mainly because of my hearing problem. I have to put the video in a volume where I can comfortably listen and understand what they are saying but sometimes dan screams without warning for no absolute reason that I can metaphorically feel my broken left ear bleeds inside. If I was watching old video, I feel much better putting the vid at low volume but with close caption on. lol.

Offtopic: shoutout to LtrllySusan, a fellow Detective Conan lover :woohoo:
Love is forever
liola
rankussy

re:Phil wanting to stop I actually saw a few people comment on this which left me very surprised because I didn't see at him being bored/annoyed/actually asking to stop at all? To me everything about his voice, his body language, how he addresses Dan indicates he's worried that Dan is getting too frustrated and probably didn't want to have him stubbornly try for hours if he didn't do it. It was right after Dan screaming in frustration for like the last or second to last time so I didn't take it as a "we've been filming for too long that's enough" more like "ok you're getting too worked up maybe it's better to stop"

It actually reminded me of my mom whenever I got too frustrated at a boss in KH :lol:

I don't think he was bored at all, I know it might be weird to think someone can enjoy just watching someone else play for hours but I'm sure they chatted their way through more than they showed us, and if you really like a game and are invested in seeing how the battle goes I doubt you'd be bored :shrug:

I actually rewatched the video this morning I liked it so much haha
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
lionheart
squish

liola wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:28 am re:Phil wanting to stop I actually saw a few people comment on this which left me very surprised because I didn't see at him being bored/annoyed/actually asking to stop at all? To me everything about his voice, his body language, how he addresses Dan indicates he's worried that Dan is getting too frustrated and probably didn't want to have him stubbornly try for hours if he didn't do it. It was right after Dan screaming in frustration for like the last or second to last time so I didn't take it as a "we've been filming for too long that's enough" more like "ok you're getting too worked up maybe it's better to stop"

It actually reminded me of my mom whenever I got too frustrated at a boss in KH :lol:

I don't think he was bored at all, I know it might be weird to think someone can enjoy just watching someone else play for hours but I'm sure they chatted their way through more than they showed us, and if you really like a game and are invested in seeing how the battle goes I doubt you'd be bored :shrug:

I actually rewatched the video this morning I liked it so much haha
The way he said ‘we need to stop we need to stop’ rather than something like ‘maybe we should stop’ says to me that he thought it was going on for too long but it’s all a matter of interpretation of course. Maybe it’s just me but I just notice Phil being VERY in control of how long they film for when they do videos together. Not necessarily always a bad thing but it’s an observation/something I’ve picked up on. He’s always like ‘okay last attempt’ or ‘I think that’s enough’ etc. and if I wasn’t a lazy shit I’d find proper examples but as of late I feel like I’ve noticed it in like every other video they do together :shrug: seems like it’s just me though so idk lol
whelpkeeper
sad dimple
Pronouns: they/their

lionheart wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:23 am
liola wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:28 am re:Phil wanting to stop I actually saw a few people comment on this which left me very surprised because I didn't see at him being bored/annoyed/actually asking to stop at all? To me everything about his voice, his body language, how he addresses Dan indicates he's worried that Dan is getting too frustrated and probably didn't want to have him stubbornly try for hours if he didn't do it. It was right after Dan screaming in frustration for like the last or second to last time so I didn't take it as a "we've been filming for too long that's enough" more like "ok you're getting too worked up maybe it's better to stop"

The way he said ‘we need to stop we need to stop’ rather than something like ‘maybe we should stop’ says to me that he thought it was going on for too long but it’s all a matter of interpretation of course. Maybe it’s just me but I just notice Phil being VERY in control of how long they film for when they do videos together. Not necessarily always a bad thing but it’s an observation/something I’ve picked up on. He’s always like ‘okay last attempt’ or ‘I think that’s enough’ etc. and if I wasn’t a lazy shit I’d find proper examples but as of late I feel like I’ve noticed it in like every other video they do together :shrug: seems like it’s just me though so idk lol
I also feel like Phil tries to cut things short, but I think it's mainly because they have a lot of videos to make in a limited amount of time. I'm kinda impatient too so I think even I'd be like "let's wrap this up" after an hour+ of trying to no avail. That said, it does annoy me too because on my end I like seeing them play things to completion so it's unsatisfying when they end early for the sake of a self-imposed time constraint. It definetely would have been annoying if Dan stopped right before he finally succeed, that would have ruined the video imo :shrug:
The air soft as that of Seville in April,
and so fragrant that it was delicious to breathe it.
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

I liked the video, mainly because I thought they were both in a lovely mood where they were really sweet with each other. I loved seeing Phil so supportive of Dan, and Dan himself seemed so happy to be playing this game that he genuinely likes and is good at, and to be showing it to Phil (and us, I guess). I'd give it an 8/10.

Yesterday's video gets 8.5 (would have got higher as it was fantastic but unfortunately my weird secondhand embarrassment/empathy issues resulted in me having such a visceral reaction of profound discomfort when Dan accidentally hit Phil, on both of their behalfs, that it was the one flaw of the video), and the livestream before it gets 7 (not because I perceived tension between them or whatever, just because the game itself was pretty boring and barely worked).

Regarding Dan's loudness in videos and whether it annoys me - it depends. In the Dan memes of 2016 video I found Dan's screechiness to be really grating for some reason, mainly because it seemed fake and overdone. In most gaming videos though I'm not too bothered by it as it feels a bit more natural and understandable. I don't personally resonate with interpretations of Dan as rudely yelling at Phil in gaming livestreams, as I perceive it as the natural dynamic between two people who are incredibly close and have lived together for six+ years and have an unspoken agreement that yelling in frustration whilst playing a game has no bearing on the way they feel for one another. I do get though why, despite that, someone may not find that dynamic particularly enjoyable to watch, as it's not exactly pleasant or wholesome. It's just that it comes across as mucking around to me, and not as something more serious, so it doesn't bother me personally.

Also I am genuinely sad that Dream Daddy is dead in a ditch, I really enjoyed their most recent DD video and thought they'd really begun to hit a stride. I would love them to do another continuous series instead of just stand-alone videos, but I think it's futile to hope that they'd ever do a series again as it seems like they're not into it :(