Jack and Dean

fancybum
senpai

alien wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:15 pm I personally have no clue what that gif is from but I think someone like Hazel whose whole life revolves around film probably was very intentional with her choice of gif. I do wish her well, breakups are hard, but I was very :roll: to see this. I get so much second hand embarrassment when grown people are so public with stuff like this lol.
Gif spoilers (lol):
It's from Love Actually and the character is being cheated on by her husband, Snape.
Honestly I find it kind of soothing when older people still do stupid ~drama things like this because it's a reminder that life will always be some version of high school and 'growing up' doesn't really mean anything. Actually, I guess that's not really comforting.. I Love Drama, that's what I meant.

But yeah, I mean... 'don't speculate' + 'here's a telling gif with nothing to contextualize it (like 'I love this movie' or something benign)' = mixed signals, just saying.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
obsessivelymoody
emo goose
Pronouns: she/her

alien wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:15 pm
fancybum wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:06 pm Hazel’s done nothing wrong.. does it follow that he has then..?
I don’t know dude.. there’s lots of sad gifs available that don't maybe allude to infidelity (if you know what the gif is from which I think most people do). Hmmm.

Yes I do feel gross for bringing it up but not gross enough not to. Am I not supposed to try to connect vague dots over social media??? I’m only human, last I checked.
I personally have no clue what that gif is from but I think someone like Hazel whose whole life revolves around film probably was very intentional with her choice of gif. I do wish her well, breakups are hard, but I was very :roll: to see this. I get so much second hand embarrassment when grown people are so public with stuff like this lol.
i find that gif choice really interesting, as it's from the film 'love, actually', and emma thompson's character in that scene has just found out her husband has been cheating on her with a younger woman, and buying her fancy jewelry. idk if she chose that on purpose to say something about the situation explicitly, or if she just found the gif fitting in general.
kavat
pastel persona

obsessivelymoody wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:06 pm
alien wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:15 pm
fancybum wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:06 pm Hazel’s done nothing wrong.. does it follow that he has then..?
I don’t know dude.. there’s lots of sad gifs available that don't maybe allude to infidelity (if you know what the gif is from which I think most people do). Hmmm.

Yes I do feel gross for bringing it up but not gross enough not to. Am I not supposed to try to connect vague dots over social media??? I’m only human, last I checked.
I personally have no clue what that gif is from but I think someone like Hazel whose whole life revolves around film probably was very intentional with her choice of gif. I do wish her well, breakups are hard, but I was very :roll: to see this. I get so much second hand embarrassment when grown people are so public with stuff like this lol.
i find that gif choice really interesting, as it's from the film 'love, actually', and emma thompson's character in that scene has just found out her husband has been cheating on her with a younger woman, and buying her fancy jewelry. idk if she chose that on purpose to say something about the situation explicitly, or if she just found the gif fitting in general.
Speaking of gifs, Jack used this one yesterday followed by this reply which gave him a lot of sympathy in the form of pictures of dogs. Not the best way to keep people from speculating, mate.
pearshaped34
morning quiff

Meh. I'm kind of assuming Jack must have done something indisputably bad like cheating as I don't believe his the kind of guy with enough self-awareness and humility to be taking 100% of the blame if she dumped him for something like not being attentive or supportive enough (even if he wasn't).
alien
procrastinator

fancybum wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:40 pm
alien wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:15 pm I personally have no clue what that gif is from but I think someone like Hazel whose whole life revolves around film probably was very intentional with her choice of gif. I do wish her well, breakups are hard, but I was very :roll: to see this. I get so much second hand embarrassment when grown people are so public with stuff like this lol.
Gif spoilers (lol):
It's from Love Actually and the character is being cheated on by her husband, Snape.
Honestly I find it kind of soothing when older people still do stupid ~drama things like this because it's a reminder that life will always be some version of high school and 'growing up' doesn't really mean anything. Actually, I guess that's not really comforting.. I Love Drama, that's what I meant.

But yeah, I mean... 'don't speculate' + 'here's a telling gif with nothing to contextualize it (like 'I love this movie' or something benign)' = mixed signals, just saying.
You know this is how I'm going to try to view things like this from now on instead of being judgmental because I'm always going on about how getting older doesn't mean you should just stop enjoying things (like idk tall british youtubers) so why not see it the same way for other things too? Also yes to drama :ribena:
000dia000
emo goose

fancybum wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:40 pm
Gif spoilers (lol):
I ugly laughed, omg

I think they're very dramatic people, who want to give sly hits at each other in these ways. I think most people would operate with completely ignoring the situation or each other, and I imagine most YouTubers that break up don't do it as sudden or as dramatically as they did. As much as Hazel probably thinks she was gracious and delicate with her tweet, she went against Jack's wishes and is subtly airing their dirty laundry. It doesn't help that people usually publicize this information post-breakup phase, where they're not so emotional.

Bringing attention to something, and asking for people not to pay attention, will cause people to of course start plotting theories. my theory is definitely that Jack most likely cheated on her like you guys have suggested, they've certainly implied it. Hazel publicizing everything without his consent was probably for her own benefit so she could make it final, and move on
:cactus:
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Catching up, gotta say I love Dean, I find him very attractive and his arty stuff is great. Seeing Jack on a sitc panel, he seems not to realise how much he talks about stuff he’s done and while others did talk, it was noticeably a lot less. Was just one time, but it’s something I do too. Dean wasn’t there, no one knew why including Jack who didn’t seem massively concerned, though I saw him tweet Dean once when he said he felt low, was a kind tweet anyway.
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

i'm actually surprised at the restrain they're both showing, i would've expected far more public spats by now...

hazel's gif is very restrained (for her), but clear as day.
what a cheating git!
art in avatar by lily
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

something i find sort of rich is that i refreshed twitter before i went to bed last night and this tweet was at the top of my feed:
dontpanic
#relatable

mermaid blood wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:07 am i'm actually surprised at the restrain they're both showing, i would've expected far more public spats by now...

hazel's gif is very restrained (for her), but clear as day.
what a cheating git!
I feel so guilty for thinking it, but I low-key wish they would have been more dramatic about everything. They've always thrown shade without abandon, why do they have to choose now to exercise restraint?

God I feel like a terrible person lol, but it's just so entertaining
kavat
pastel persona

This was interesting of him to share. I'm wondering what made him take the step.

I also find this kind of funny. Tell us more Dean, I want the deets!
citizen_erased
truth bomb

kavat wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:50 pm This was interesting of him to share. I'm wondering what made him take the step.

I also find this kind of funny. Tell us more Dean, I want the deets!
I know this 100% makes me a bad person but uuuhhh --> :moredrama:

(That said, good on Jack for starting therapy. I really, genuinely hope it helps him.)
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

Regarding Jack and Dean's relationship, I think it's safe to say they do genuinely get along and are actually best friends, given this tweet: I think the aftermath of Jack and Hazel's breakup has been really interesting. It seems like Jack has had some sort of epiphany regarding his behaviour, and wants to make an effort to improve himself. He seems self-aware for the first time ever, which feels like a bit of a miracle. I do really hope that therapy helps him, and that he finds success in working to become a kinder and better person.

Over the past two-ish years or so I've found both Jack and Hazel to come across as mean, bitter and nasty people a lot of the time. I did used to really enjoy Hazel's content - her Time of The Month series in 2015 was what I turned to when I stopped watching Dan and Phil for a while (lol that clearly lasted). But at a certain point I started to find their personalities unbearable - their pretentiousness made me continuously roll my eyes, and they often just seemed purposefully mean.

Which is why I find it so fascinating that since the breakup Hazel has done almost nothing but preach kindness, sharing tweets about rooting for other people instead of tearing them down, etc. She doesn't come across as a particularly kind person to me. Maybe she is irl, but online she has often seemed petty and unkind, at least in recent years. I can only hope that this breakup has been somewhat of a wake-up call for both of them, and that it will result in kinder versions of themselves in future.

(And obviously I do hope they're both okay, and that they both have good support networks to help them get through this. As much as I generally dislike them both, I don't actually wish any suffering on them, and I hope this breakup works out to be for the best.)
kavat
pastel persona

He's really working through some things, wow. I'm very curious about what lead him to this flip. What did Hazel say to make him realize? Was it "if you don't change I'll leave" which she later did? Is he just now learning that his actions have consequences? I know I shouldn't speculate but I just really wanna know!
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

"I am now so aware of how unhappy I was making myself"

...is very interesting wording coupled with hazel's insinuating gifs. feels like pouring salt on the wound of the other party, if you were merely unhappy with *that* person and cheating on them with someone you liked better.

makes me wonder if his crisis is a bit deeper.
art in avatar by lily
citizen_erased
truth bomb

kavat wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:00 am He's really working through some things, wow. I'm very curious about what lead him to this flip. What did Hazel say to make him realize? Was it "if you don't change I'll leave" which she later did? Is he just now learning that his actions have consequences? I know I shouldn't speculate but I just really wanna know!
honestly though, I know I'm a very curious person that really wants to know what's going on, but I'm also getting annoyed by all their vagueposting and their insinuations without ever actually explaining anything. Like, by this point, either straight up tell us what's happening or don't say anything at all, because this is really starting to feel like just more attention seeking rather than actual epiphanies and change.
alien
procrastinator

citizen_erased wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:23 pm
kavat wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:00 am He's really working through some things, wow. I'm very curious about what lead him to this flip. What did Hazel say to make him realize? Was it "if you don't change I'll leave" which she later did? Is he just now learning that his actions have consequences? I know I shouldn't speculate but I just really wanna know!
honestly though, I know I'm a very curious person that really wants to know what's going on, but I'm also getting annoyed by all their vagueposting and their insinuations without ever actually explaining anything. Like, by this point, either straight up tell us what's happening or don't say anything at all, because this is really starting to feel like just more attention seeking rather than actual epiphanies and change.
I go back and forth between thinking it's good that he's talking about taking steps to better himself because I'm sure there are lots of boys following him that could probably learn along with him and being so annoyed with anything he tweets because it's starting to come across super fake.

This twitter exchange also made me laugh because Meghan just spent time in LA with Hazel and Jack really thinks she'd want to spend anytime with him in London? For anyone unfamiliar with Meghan her waving tweet is a very obvious rejection. (Meghan tweets she's going to london. > Jacks tweets her a gif of Mr. Bean waving > Meghan responds with just the waving emojis)
kavat
pastel persona

citizen_erased wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:23 pm
This tweet was posted 1.20 am on a saturday which makes me think that it was a (possibly drunk) sleepless hopeless moment of his. He has been pretty open with his feelings, about going to therapy and the results of that this past month and I think it would be strange of him to share even more right now as he's still going through things and we don't deserve to know everything. Maybe we'll find out later on (through an angsty short film maybe, lol).
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

So I started following Dean on social media a few months ago as part of what apparently is my "follow all the old school British YouYubers" agenda and I really am liking his sense of humor and online personality. I am not too familiar with him -- I've watched some older Jack and Dean videos here and there, so I suppose I wanted to know if anyone could fill in some backstory for me. Also I feel weird and invasive asking this question, but my curiosity is overriding that weirdness.

Dean has made some references in tweets to his financial situation being not great, and I suppose I'm surprised to hear that. Like I said, I haven't really followed his career until recently, but I thought Jack and Dean were pretty popular for a long while and that they did normal income-producing things like make ad-supported videos, perform live, attend conventions, and sell merch. Can anyone speculate about why that might not have been as financially successful as it was for other creators doing the same thing during the same time period? I think I'm just interested in understanding the financial ecosystem of Youtube and why some creators might be popular but not earn the kind of money that they can stash away long-term. Maybe I'm just naive about how lucrative YouTube is or isn't.

As far as I can tell currently, Jack has moved to behind-the-camera direction work, and Dean is streaming on Twitch. I just like Dean a lot and wish him well; he seems like a very talented, funny, and smart person -- exactly the sort of person who's creativity I'd like to see rewarded with the ability to make a living.
kavat
pastel persona

I think Jack & Dean was very successful for a while, but it was clear that they wanted to do bigger and better things. Videos became less frequent but with bigger productions, meaning they were spending more but maybe not necessarily making more. Then they did the show Jack & Dean of all trades on the now defunct streaming service Fullscreen, and I think that going under was a big blow as well (it closed right after season 2 premiered I believe). Then the pandemic happened and they haven't been able to do sketches since.

I also think that sketches really aren't as popular of a format on youtube anymore. It was a big chunk of the content in 2010-2015, but I think it's just not bringing in the views like it used to.

Jack has always had other things on the side, from his own channel to editing for other youtubers, and now more directing and hosting gigs. Dean however hasn't really found his footing in the same way, not having those side gigs to fall back on (as far as I know). He seems to enjoy streaming which is great, and he did some voice acting for a game last year so hopefully things are looking up for him.

Dean is a lovely guy so I do hope things work out for him.
shan
morning quiff

I’ve been loving Dean’s twitch streams since he started playing animal crossing back in 2020 and it’s been sad to hear that he’s been struggling the last couple of years. Like Kavat said, as well as costing more to produce the sketch content they put out, the money left over would then have to be split in two as well. Even in their hayday they weren’t uploading videos super frequently so, while I’m sure he was making enough to live very comfortably at the time, I don’t think he was making the kind of money that sets you up for the long-term.

I don’t pretend to know how conventions work but my guess would be that only the headline talent would be getting paid the big bucks to be there so I would be surprised if they were making a lot from those kinds of appearances. Likewise merch sales probably don’t provide that much of a boost to your income unless you are selling a lot of it and sadly I don’t think he does.

I really hope he manages to develop a bigger following on twitch, he seems like such a genuinely good guy and it sounds like times have been pretty tough for him. I’ve seen a few other og YouTubers struggle with this and it’s kind of heartbreaking to see when they’re still the same person you remember but the audience has moved on.
obvsly
#relatable

I haven't been back to idb for a while so I only saw the last 3 posts just now. I love Dean too. I've actually been a patron on Jack and Dean's Patreon until early this year. I didn't cancel it. They did.

Their Patreon was not charged monthly like most others. It's charged per creation, which for them means a youtube upload. To be honest, I haven't visited the site often enough to know when exactly they cancelled it. But I think the fact that they cancelled it speaks volume. They don't have to cancel it at all as patrons are not being charged with anything, no matter how long it takes them to make another upload. By canceling it, they implied that there might not be a Jack and Dean anymore. Sad, really.

I am not on twitch as gaming is not something I'm interested in. I hope Dean finds his place there and is doing well. I will always wonder what actually went on between them but honestly I can't be bothered to dig deeper.