Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
tigertatze
living flop
Pronouns: she/her

howadorableright wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:49 pm
Katka wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:26 pm
LtrllySusan:
LtrllySusan wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:35 am[Slight off-topic]
Is anyone else also really really pissed off about Logan Paul? He and his brother have done a lot of asshole things in the past but his most recent video is hopefully finally getting him banned or at least give him a warning strike. (I haven't seen the vid but reading about it makes me mad enough)

A lot of YTers have tweeted about it (Jacksepticeye, PhillyDF, GameGrumps, PDP, you name them) and I kinda wished D&P would also say something? They can't talk reason into those bullies' heads but they can maybe convince a couple of kids of the Pauls' audience that watching them isn't a good thing. On the other hand, I understand why D&P generally stay out of YT controversies - if the Pauls wanna strike back, they would certainly go for a really low blow.
I just googled this thinking "How bad can it be?" and now I'm literally sick to my stomach. I doubt deppy will say anything as they have nothing to do with this person but I hope Youtube takes action and bans him. No idea who he is but if he's as popular as he seems to be... yikes.
I've just found out that before the video was taken down, Youtube actually put this video on trending. Everything about this situation makes me sick.
Between this and the whole PDP scandal, Youtube's really painting one hell of a picture of who's repping their platform, aren't they...
#nohetero
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

howadorableright wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:49 pm
Katka wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:26 pm
LtrllySusan:
LtrllySusan wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:35 am[Slight off-topic]
Is anyone else also really really pissed off about Logan Paul? He and his brother have done a lot of asshole things in the past but his most recent video is hopefully finally getting him banned or at least give him a warning strike. (I haven't seen the vid but reading about it makes me mad enough)

A lot of YTers have tweeted about it (Jacksepticeye, PhillyDF, GameGrumps, PDP, you name them) and I kinda wished D&P would also say something? They can't talk reason into those bullies' heads but they can maybe convince a couple of kids of the Pauls' audience that watching them isn't a good thing. On the other hand, I understand why D&P generally stay out of YT controversies - if the Pauls wanna strike back, they would certainly go for a really low blow.
I just googled this thinking "How bad can it be?" and now I'm literally sick to my stomach. I doubt deppy will say anything as they have nothing to do with this person but I hope Youtube takes action and bans him. No idea who he is but if he's as popular as he seems to be... yikes.
I've just found out that before the video was taken down, Youtube actually put this video on trending. Everything about this situation makes me sick.
Taking this out of spoilers because youtube did not put the video in trending themselves personally. That’s their weird algorithm’s doing. There are sometimes weird videos that shouldn’t even make it to trending but do, YouTube really need to fix it/monitor it not by bots but by actual people. Most likely the reason the video was even in trending in the first place was the amount of outrage views the video was getting. None the less this video shouldn’t have even been aloud up in the first place, regardless of the fact that it had no ads on it. It was very disrespectful and disgusting, I hate this whole situation so much as well.
YouTube needs to rely more on actual people working for them monitoring content and less on bots is what I can tell from all of the scandals. So much horrible content seeps onto YouTube without bots picking it up which is really alarming. They keep claiming that it’s faulty bots instead of hiring more staff to ether program it better or using people to make their site a better community. Get your shit together YouTube.
But with this scandal, because Scum McGee deleted the video already, I’m not sure there’s really much YouTube can do except maybe give him an extremely low ad rev...

TL DR; YouTube get your shit together and stop having privilege white men take advantage of your shitty algorithm that clearly isn’t working. Actual people need to control a site; not bots.

Keeping this on topic with d&p, it honestly won’t suprise me if dan does talk out against this. But it also wouldn’t surprise me if he didn’t talk about it ether. It’s always 50/50 with these kind of things with Dan. We know Phil doesn’t like to speak out at all on any kind of issues for the most part, which is fine. Nether of them have any obligation to speak out on anything they don’t want too.
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr
LurkingTrash
woodland creature
Pronouns: She/Her

I actually really hope they don't mention the Logan Paul thing, idk if I'm right about this opnion but there might be some young phandom members who don't know what happened and when they hear they will go looking for it to satisfy their curiosity, also, the controversy and attention seems to be what that guy wanted, if they do hint at it I hope it's just a talk about awareness and looking for help if you need to, and holding youtube accountable for being horrible at handling this and having a horrible system.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

LurkingTrash wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:38 pm I actually really hope they don't mention the Logan Paul thing, idk if I'm right about this opnion but there might be some young phandom members who don't know what happened and when they hear they will go looking for it to satisfy their curiosity, also, the controversy and attention seems to be what that guy wanted, if they do hint at it I hope it's just a talk about awareness and looking for help if you need to, and holding youtube accountable for being horrible at handling this and having a horrible system.
I absolutely, 1000% agree with you. For once, I appreciate their silence on an issue. Everyone else is saying plenty enough as it is and frankly, I feel like the guy is getting exactly the attention he wanted, because he seems like an "any press is good press" kind of person.

Leave it be. Let it die. At best, maybe Dan can like a tweet that calls out the wrong-doing, but I'd much rather they released a cute, shallow video that takes attention away from Logan Paul for a brief minute.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

LurkingTrash wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:38 pm I actually really hope they don't mention the Logan Paul thing, idk if I'm right about this opnion but there might be some young phandom members who don't know what happened and when they hear they will go looking for it to satisfy their curiosity, also, the controversy and attention seems to be what that guy wanted, if they do hint at it I hope it's just a talk about awareness and looking for help if you need to, and holding youtube accountable for being horrible at handling this and having a horrible system.
I agree as well. There are a lot of people rightly upset over this but there are also people that are tweeting about it non-stop which is giving the situation more attention. It is okay to be disgusted and outraged about it but if people are tweeting about it repeatedly then what is their motive? They are capitalizing off of the situation too and that is nagl.

If Dan or Phil wants to tweet something about mental health that would be great, If they choose to stay silent - because of not wanting to bring attention to it or because of personal triggers (who knows, and really none of our business) then that is okay too.
Ablissa
pastel persona

I agree with you, I hope they say nothing about it. Aside from not giving that scum any attention, I know it's a thing that could be triggering to a lot of their viewers. I'm sure they're aware of that.

Do we think Dan will do a liveshow today?
flurry
living flop

Sorry guys, I really don't like flat talk - like I understand if we interior decor nerds want to see more of their furniture or the moon bed or something but endless speculation on whether they are staying in two flats or in two rooms or two beds I just don't get. Also speculating the apartment layout is one step closer to finding out where they live, whether or not it's a huge step. So to me I'm just not down with that so I've skipped the last few pages but that's just my personal opinion.

Anyhow, moving on, I remember seeing it said somewhere on here that Dan and Phil are going to see Hamilton? I'm so interested to know what they think of it when they've seen it! I want to know more about their theatre preferences and what shows they like, since they always talk mostly about films and TV shows and the same few ones at that. I know they've seen Cursed Child and Dan talked about it but does anyone know if Phil also mentioned it? Thanks!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I posted this over in About This Forum, but just in case people don't check there often - a final update on our fundraising effort for December! I'm happy to report that between Redbubble shop sales and a few donations from lovely people, we raised $210 in December! Half of this will go towards maintaining the forum for 2018 - which includes domain registration and monthly hosting fees.
The other half (which equates to £78) has been donated to Young Minds, the charity that received the most votes in our donation selection poll.
We cannot thank you guys enough. Hope you are all enjoying your mugs and stickers and whatever else you bought, while knowing your money went to something worthwhile!
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Agreed, it's all over worldwide news as well to the point where my mom even knew about it before I said anything. It only gives that scumbag more exposure and the disrespectful footage of the victim will be spread around even more. When I watched a response video from someone YouTube was already recommending 2 reuploads of the original video in the sidebar. That website really needs to fix their shit. Not just their algorithms that pick out content about LGBT+ or mental health within seconds in order to demonetize but let this kind of shit slip long enough for it to get watched six million times and end up on Trending. But also their punishments or lack thereof if you're a big enough Creator who brings people to the platform. I'm not against people calling that asshole out for his shit (Nathan Zedd said he's uploading something about it for example) but at this point general horrified statements on Twitter aren't necessary imo.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
000dia000
emo goose

I'm going to be cynical and say that people will forget about the Logan Paul thing soon, isn't that always the way? Deppy don't really rear their heads until the second or third week this month, and by that time it will be old news. I think it's a given that they disagree with them, anybody with a head on their shoulders think it's messed up.

I'm always intrigued by people wishing that they would address issues or make some commentary. I think it was always obvious that they do not want attention, so they either don't address it, address it less publicly in a live show, or subtly with a snide remark for things they disaggree with or showing support for things otherwise. I don't get why people hope or wish for them to change and become outspoken, when it isn't in their interests. Usually they are just cleverly quiet as it wouldn't affect them, or they're better off, like their convenient ignorance with pewdiepie for example.

I think if they do address it, it will be Dan, as always. He'll probably just say something like "creators have a responsibility on this platform" or something else that's a bit dull. Someone will gif it, it might get like 1K notes on the Tumble. People will praise him...and forget about it later and say he's problematic for not addressing the next big controversy.

Weighing in on the two-flat theory. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that where they live may be what was once two separate living spaces combined into one. But I'm going to be grounded and say that they certainly don't have two flats separate from each other, aren't living apart, and don't have a secret flat or home. For the record, I also don't think that they're planning to move into any new place, considering they're planning a world tour and all. They are most definitely preparing for that.
:cactus:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I think we've had our daily 'still alive' nod from Phil...
And oh man was Rate Phan Tweets not happy about it.
sparkle
blobfish

000dia000 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:04 pm I'm going to be cynical and say that people will forget about the Logan Paul thing soon, isn't that always the way? Deppy don't really rear their heads until the second or third week this month, and by that time it will be old news. I think it's a given that they disagree with them, anybody with a head on their shoulders think it's messed up.

I'm always intrigued by people wishing that they would address issues or make some commentary. I think it was always obvious that they do not want attention, so they either don't address it, address it less publicly in a live show, or subtly with a snide remark for things they disaggree with or showing support for things otherwise. I don't get why people hope or wish for them to change and become outspoken, when it isn't in their interests. Usually they are just cleverly quiet as it wouldn't affect them, or they're better off, like their convenient ignorance with pewdiepie for example.

I think if they do address it, it will be Dan, as always. He'll probably just say something like "creators have a responsibility on this platform" or something else that's a bit dull. Someone will gif it, it might get like 1K notes on the Tumble. People will praise him...and forget about it later and say he's problematic for not addressing the next big controversy.
Honestly, I'm glad on their consistency. I'm glad they don't cherry pick and I'm glad that their reactions are predictable and low drama. I don't watch them because they're the YouTube news; one of my favourite things about them is that they're almost the exact opposite of that.
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:41 pm I think we've had our daily 'still alive' nod from Phil...
Honestly that tweet did feel like it had been sitting in his drafts for about 2 years and he just tweeted it out because he needed to let people know Dan hasn't killed him over cereal yet but had no inspiration for anything else.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
dancy
procrastinator

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:41 pm I think we've had our daily 'still alive' nod from Phil...
...He could've said thaiPhone instead.
obscureDnPreference
procrastinator
Pronouns: she/her/hers

dancy wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:45 pm
That would have improved the tweet to maybe 1.5/10.
"This is not children's television. I'm 26, I'm depressed, and I need edgy jokes to cope with my anxiety."
Daniel Howell, 10/30/17
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

dancy wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:45 pm
This is genius. This is the dad joke we needed but never got!

In other news, I'm reallyreally going to need Dan and Phil to post a video now. Any video. I don't care. Just give me content. Feed each other sushi. Read each other's horoscopes. PINOF 9.5. I don't care. I'm desperate at this point.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

rizzo wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:08 pmIn other news, I'm reallyreally going to need Dan and Phil to post a video now. Any video. I don't care. Just give me content. Feed each other sushi. Read each other's horoscopes. PINOF 9.5. I don't care. I'm desperate at this point.
My guess is we'll get a video next week. Fifth, sixth at the earliest - and since Dan didn't have a video in December (ISG was Nov 29) I'll go further and predict that Dan will ask for memes tomorrow, and we'll get that video over the weekend. Then once the dust settles after, a gaming video.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:11 pm
rizzo wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:08 pmIn other news, I'm reallyreally going to need Dan and Phil to post a video now. Any video. I don't care. Just give me content. Feed each other sushi. Read each other's horoscopes. PINOF 9.5. I don't care. I'm desperate at this point.
My guess is we'll get a video next week. Fifth, sixth at the earliest - and since Dan didn't have a video in December (ISG was Nov 29) I'll go further and predict that Dan will ask for memes tomorrow, and we'll get that video over the weekend. Then once the dust settles after, a gaming video.
Look, I know your whole thing is "logic" and "sensibility" and like, "based on Dan and Phil's history", but they could literally do a "poptropica 2: dragon #spon" and I'd eat it up like the desperate trash I am. So let me just pray here that you're wrong and we get something sooner.

:please:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

rizzo wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:15 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:11 pm
Look, I know your whole thing is "logic" and "sensibility" and like, "based on Dan and Phil's history", but they could literally do a "poptropica 2: dragon #spon" and I'd eat it up like the desperate trash I am. So let me just pray here that you're wrong and we get something sooner.

:please:
Okay, now I need them to not post again until we hit 40 pages so that the next thread name can be "poptropica 2: dragon #spon"
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

Just to re-iterate what @alittledizzy said, thanks to everyone for helping us keep the forum running and for also allowing us to make a donation to Young Minds UK. It feels good knowing as a community of fans we can help others too!

Phils tweet just made me happy that they actually cook food and don’t just order takeaway every single night (like many youtubers seem to constantly do) as that’s all they seem to talk about when food is concerned!
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
koalaselfie
living flop

I'm putting this under a spoiler because it's driving me crazy, but it's nowhere near on-topic (however, it is vaguely Dan and Phil-related! ;) ) Anybody into computers, can you pls help one clueless soul?!
In the first Sims video on DAPG, Phil complains about Dan's mechanical keyboard, and Dan goes "Hey! Don't diss my Imbolite (sp?) mechanical keyboard."
What's the name of the brand I can't spell?! Basically, I'm now looking for a new keyboard, and would kinda sorta want a good one, so can anybody tell me how to find the same or similar to Dan's gaming keyboard? I've tried Googling basically everything - Imbolite, Involite?? - in vain :(
:cherryblossom: ~when ur sad, remember the deppy japan trip of 2015~ :cherryblossom:
wallflower
first-time poster

koalaselfie wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:11 pm I'm putting this under a spoiler because it's driving me crazy, but it's nowhere near on-topic (however, it is vaguely Dan and Phil-related! ;) ) Anybody into computers, can you pls help one clueless soul?!
In the first Sims video on DAPG, Phil complains about Dan's mechanical keyboard, and Dan goes "Hey! Don't diss my Imbolite (sp?) mechanical keyboard."
What's the name of the brand I can't spell?! Basically, I'm now looking for a new keyboard, and would kinda sorta want a good one, so can anybody tell me how to find the same or similar to Dan's gaming keyboard? I've tried Googling basically everything - Imbolite, Involite?? - in vain :(
Of all the first posts I choose this, haha hi everyone long time lurker first time poster etc.
To me it definitely looks like a razer keyboard, perhaps the Razer BlackWidow Series: Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Ablissa
pastel persona

koalaselfie wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:11 pm I'm putting this under a spoiler because it's driving me crazy, but it's nowhere near on-topic (however, it is vaguely Dan and Phil-related! ;) ) Anybody into computers, can you pls help one clueless soul?!
Reply under a spoiler in case it's offtopic :D EDIT: wallflower beat me to it, welcome to IDB! I think we agree in our deduction :D
I think the keyboard Dan had in that video was a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate.

In general, Razer keyboards are I think the most popular choice when it comes to mechanical keyboards.
alch
ar·tic·u·late

Hopefully it's not too late to weigh in on the Logan Paul thing - Honestly if that's on trending, YouTube needs to get its shit together. Most of the words in that video's title should have been flagged in some way.

I don't think Dan and Phil need to mention it. The pewdiepie thing was certainly something they needed to talk about (and didn't) as it directly related to them, but this honestly wasn't really related to them and talking about it would bring more attention to it, which it certainly doesn't need.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

As a friendly reminder: If it has to do with Dan and Phil, things Dan and Phil use, places Dan and Phil have gone, or that one particular freckle on Phil's face, it's on topic, guys! :) (And what a lovely freckle it is~)

I was having a bit of a scroll through Jameela Jamil's instagram last night and I got to thinking about Dan and Phil's radio show and how it is sadly no more. (There was never a better King of the Radio. RIP. etcetc) I then had a startling revelation. Remember that article that was posted a few months back about the BBC struggling to find new DJs? Here's the quote about Dan & Phil:
The show was popular, but the pair - otherwise known as Dan Howell and Phil Lester - left after four years.

Cooper says: "We've looked at YouTubers, people like Dan & Phil, but they get tempted by huge amounts of money and go off on world tours around America and Australia."
Tours. Tours. That's a plural.

Here we all were thinking this Cooper dude was just bitter that Dan and Phil wanted to get paid more or perhaps even thinking this dude was lying and the BBC had let them go. But no! It was right in front of us all along!

Basically, what I'm saying is that it seems that Dan and Phil's decision to tour again was made fairly early on, that they shared that decision with the BBC, and either (a) they agreed to go their separate ways or (b) the BBC wasn't willing to agree to a short-term or post-tour show.

I thought this was interesting. I wonder now if there'd be any room for them to go back to the BBC after TIIT? Am I too hopeful? Probably. But I'll just let myself dream.