Brighton - Brighton Dome - 28th April

rebeccarayne
smol bean
Pronouns: She/her

Hey everyone! I just joined (although I've been lurking for forever) and I have a VIP for the 8pm show! I'm 27 and going alone so it would be nice to see some of y'all there :)

Edit: I'm in row D!
flarequake
not an airport stalker

relatablemood wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:39 pm
DatCog wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:52 pm
relatablemood wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:26 pm Not to make anyone uncomfortable if there are still any hurt feelings from when I was a Mess on here months ago, but if anyone and of course DatCog wants to say hi to me or my mum that'd be super nice, I'll be in one of the circles. Though won't everyone going at different times? 2pm or 8pm?

EDIT; never mind, just realised most people are going at the evening :( maybe see you flarequake...?
Oh, are you going to the afternoon show? :( I can only do the evening one as it will take most of the day to travel from Devon!
Ahh no! :( I was gonna go at 8 but as we're not staying the night, mum doesn't fancy the two hour drive back at ten at night :shrug: have fun with your wine party!
For the matinee I'm in the circle too, on the left I think (stage right, but left if you're standing at the back of the theatre). My friends from here will be in the stalls, some of us could arrange to meet in the circle area somewhere like the bar or lobby. I think we'll be meeting after the matinee for drinks if you're up for that, seems most people here will be going to the evening show.
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides
Pronouns: she/her

rebeccarayne wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:41 pm Hey everyone! I just joined (although I've been lurking for forever) and I have a VIP for the 8pm show! I'm 27 and going alone so it would be nice to see some of y'all there :)

Yay, well done on the VIP :)

We should deffo all arrange to meet up inside as @flarequake said, sure we will find somewhere good to meet inside. I remember going to tatinof in Brighton and the area the bar was in was literally full of people queuing for the merch but the actual bar itself was emptyyyy!
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
relatablemood
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

flarequake wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:09 pm
relatablemood wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:39 pm
DatCog wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:52 pm
relatablemood wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:26 pm Not to make anyone uncomfortable if there are still any hurt feelings from when I was a Mess on here months ago, but if anyone and of course DatCog wants to say hi to me or my mum that'd be super nice, I'll be in one of the circles. Though won't everyone going at different times? 2pm or 8pm?

EDIT; never mind, just realised most people are going at the evening :( maybe see you flarequake...?
Oh, are you going to the afternoon show? :( I can only do the evening one as it will take most of the day to travel from Devon!
Ahh no! :( I was gonna go at 8 but as we're not staying the night, mum doesn't fancy the two hour drive back at ten at night :shrug: have fun with your wine party!
For the matinee I'm in the circle too, on the left I think (stage right, but left if you're standing at the back of the theatre). My friends from here will be in the stalls, some of us could arrange to meet in the circle area somewhere like the bar or lobby. I think we'll be meeting after the matinee for drinks if you're up for that, seems most people here will be going to the evening show.
Ha, I'm still a baby so drinks off the table for me with my mum around, but I'm in the left circle so closer to the time I'll post exactly where I am and hope to just wave to some people :philtrash:
i want dan's hair and phil's hips
rebeccarayne
smol bean

missemma wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:31 pm
rebeccarayne wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:41 pm Hey everyone! I just joined (although I've been lurking for forever) and I have a VIP for the 8pm show! I'm 27 and going alone so it would be nice to see some of y'all there :)

We should deffo all arrange to meet up inside as @flarequake said, sure we will find somewhere good to meet inside. I remember going to tatinof in Brighton and the area the bar was in was literally full of people queuing for the merch but the actual bar itself was emptyyyy!
Thanks!! It was totally an accident, must have snagged someone's timed out ticket! But I'm very happy even though my bank isn't haha

I'd love to meet up and have a pre-show drink, not sure how long we have after the M&G but I know there's at least one more VIP for the 8pm here right?
blackdenim
procrastinator

rebeccarayne wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:05 pm
missemma wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:31 pm

Thanks!! It was totally an accident, must have snagged someone's timed out ticket! But I'm very happy even though my bank isn't haha

I'd love to meet up and have a pre-show drink, not sure how long we have after the M&G but I know there's at least one more VIP for the 8pm here right?
Yes thats me! And we are a similar age which is very reassuring for me haha. We’ll def have to find a way to meet up with everyone before or during the interval!
human
dan hand trash

Yippeeee! Now the tickets are secured I’m so happy to post here and be sociable lol. Me, @missemma and @flarequake have tickets for both shows and I’m so excited to get back to our tatinof ritual of a drink before the show haha. I can’t even explain how excited I am for another tour to immerse myself in!

Would love to meet new peeps and make new friends, absolutely!
DatCog
blobfish

human wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:29 pm Yippeeee! Now the tickets are secured I’m so happy to post here and be sociable lol. Me, @missemma and @flarequake have tickets for both shows and I’m so excited to get back to our tatinof ritual of a drink before the show haha. I can’t even explain how excited I am for another tour to immerse myself in!

Would love to meet new peeps and make new friends, absolutely!
I'm feeling like this at the moment, god only knows what I'll be like on April 28th ha ha :6-year-old dan:

There's something really special about it being the opening date as well (yes, I'm feeling pretty smug about this!)
human
dan hand trash

Lol yes I can remember our friend from gg going to the first tatinof date in Glasgow and the resulting convo about it because nobody knew what the show was going to be like at all lol. It must have been such a special experience!
DatCog
blobfish

human wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:45 pm Lol yes I can remember our friend from gg going to the first tatinof date in Glasgow and the resulting convo about it because nobody knew what the show was going to be like at all lol. It must have been such a special experience!
Will have to chat with you after the evening show to find out how different it was to the afternoon one!
Ribona
crusty sponge

Hey! I will be going to the matinee show and I'm in the circle, right, row G. I didn't get the M&G ticket but I am very excited about seeing Dan and Phil in the flesh! :P
DatCog
blobfish

3 weeks to go...bloody hell, it’s all feeling a bit real now!! :elephant:
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Anyone else coming to either show on Saturday? I don’t think we’ve got any exact plans beyond meeting inside before the show/during the interval yet, but we should be able to find somewhere for before the matinee and between shows for those who want to meet up (I don’t know Brighton that well).
DatCog
blobfish

I'm still coming with my two girls (17 & 12) for the evening show! Will drop our bags at our accommodation and come over to the venue as soon as we can (we're due to arrive in Brighton at 4.15pm). I'm happy to send my two off for a wander around the shops if we want to have a pre-show drink somewhere :D
human
dan hand trash

I haven’t posted for a while but was expecting to see a bunch of posts in here after the show but there’s nothing nooooo.

I’ll write a lil’ review later. I went to both the matinee and the evening shows, evening was much better and the audience were in much better spirits. Some really good bits of the show, there’s really only one bit of the show which I’m not too keen on as it’ll be the same at every show (so prolly more my fault for going to more than one) but loved it! Will write more later!
human
dan hand trash

Also, sorry to double post but can we talk about how in the evening show, Dan talked about a “Dan and Phil spitroast” being something we want? Lol.
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Omigod, that bit was amazing. How much does he facepalm at Phil for saying things and then comes out with that :roll:
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

I'm sorry, this is going to be sooooo long! I have a lot to say haha. Also, soz if there are any typos or I repeated myself, I've been typing this for over an hour now 8-) :lol:

So I got to Brighton around 11am, I was going to the show with @human and our friend Marianne. We had also arranged to meet up with @flarequake before the show to spend the day together and we were going to go and have a look at the pop up shop. We headed down to the pop-up shop which had a little queue forming.

lol, they had a bar in the popup shop, shame they weren't selling alcohol as well I would have bought something then haha.

Was cute inside being very dark with screens and seemed quite industrial inside. They had all the show merch and then the two pastel hoodies. They must be making so much money from those shops because when we left the queue was much bigger.

We jumped in the queue for the venue around 13:00ish as thats when we heard the doors were opening, the show was due to start at 14:00. We were still waiting outside at 13:40 due to some technical difficulties with the stage apparently. It was so funny standing in the queue as people were walking past and wondering what we were all queueing for. One guy even walked past and said to his friend "why are all these people dressed up as.....animals". There were a lot of people in old merch and with cat whiskers etc so if you were wondering to do that or not, people still did. Once inside we went and got some alcohol and went to our seats. We were 6 rows back from the stage so had a pretty good view. The stage looks awesome, the design is really nice and simple. The lighting is also really on point and seemed really clean, not too many flashy things, nice and simple.

Some of beforeshow playlist started, there was one song that I have no idea what it was. Then some audio comes across which is "Dans siri" from his phone. It tells you basically not to use your phone through the show #spoilers, and then says something about wanting to get Dan back for not charging her and plays the fan remix of Ladydoor. The crowd loves this section. Following this they played Saturday Night by Panic! and The Black Parade by MCR. I'll admit, TBP kinda bummed me a little because they played that before tatinof and I thought these two shows were meant to be completely different, but actually I can see now how much of a crowd pleaser it is and they probably liked hearing the crowd singing it back mega loudly to get them hyped too. The lights went down followng this song and they come on.

Their entrance is very good, they literally get carried along on a moving platform and then are saying hello and explaining why they are on stage, to "give the people what they want". They spend a few seconds waving and saying hello. I noticed that they spend a lot of time walking around the stage and swapping places with each other throughout the show, you can see in their faces that they know exactly when and where they have to move and because it was their first show you can see the concentration whilst they are trying to remember when to go.

The very opening of the show kinda reminded me of tatinof, Phil saying they are in Brighton and making Dan say what Brighton is an anagram of (during tatinof they did something similar but instead of an anagram they gave 2 or 3 random facts of the town). Incase you wondered Brighton is an acronym of - beavers rightously igniting ghostly hot tacos on neptune! Phil then goes on to tell a story about a seagull staring at him in the face at the hotel which got some laughs from the crowd and was quite cute. According to Dan the two I's they have either side of the stage are very "phallic". Not sure how he came to that conclusion but hey ho I'm glad he wants to think of penises whilst on stage haha.

Next they went on to explain what an introvert was and spent some time talking about how it's okay to be like this, and okay to be extroverted if you are like we were in some kind of group therapy haha! They say that they were doing the show to basically "connect with their audience as Daniel Howell and Phil whose real name is Nigel Humpdink". They pretend to make someone stand up at this point and Dan pointed right in our direction, I'm not someone who would be worried about audience participation but to be honest I was shitting myself as the light was shining and everyone looked haha! Luckily it was just a joke and they weren't making anyone stand up, phew.

The first section was them talking about all the things they absolutely wouldn't do on stage which was kinda funny but definitely things that they knew would give them a massive scream. I was totally expecting some fans to shout out "kiss" but nope, just screams and cheering. The section was voiced over and they acted out things, it was quite cute but there were so many things and imo they didn't need it to be so long, it felt quite filler to me towards the end.
The things they won't be doing were:
- Do the 6 second challenge (this is "in 6 seconds do an impression of a llama" and Dan acts it out like he doesnt care for it.
- Engage in erotic roleplay (Phil as a policeman and Dan with the handcuffs and the "i have sensitive skin" line)
- Have a staring contest (they both stare at each other for a few seconds)
- Dress up as their cute pastel personas
- Let you touch their hair (throwing hair into the audience which again reminded me of tatinof and them throwing the rat into the crowd)
- a 24 hour livestream from dan and phils apartment. Now this bit is hilarious as it has clips of them in the house including Dan sitting on the toilet checking his phone as the main image and then Phil eating cereal. There is also a reference to Pigeon Fest here.
- Keep up with the hottest youtube trends (tidepods reference)
- Bringing their youtube friends on stage (but they have no friends)
- Reveal secrets (Phils being he has chlamydia from a koala and Dan murdering someone!)
- Release dogs onto the stage - they show a dog basket and there is no dog inside, the crowd really expected a dog to come out at this point because there was a lot of screaming but nothing happens and they pretend the dog died (like they did in tatinof with the pretend rabbit)
- Get totally naked. This bit is the best part of this section because you totally don't realise they are wearing two shirts until this bit and it's fecking so funny. They also throw the paper abs into the crowd, much jumping over each other to keep that piece of paper haha.

Next comes Truthbombs and a button which has sound effects which were kinda funny. They kept saying this was for "roasting each other" and "roasting them in front of thousands of people" them but tbh I found the answers they picked kinda lame and very predictable. I wish they had picked some that were a bit more funny and rude, but maybe being the matinee it was more PG. The ones they picked were about houseplants and cereal, nothing majorly funny in my opinion. @alittledizzy has a thread with all the answers in it so I won't repeat them, you can go look there. This section kinda went on quite long and I did spend time thinking they should have kept it a bit shorter, but I would have probably enjoyed it more had they really roasted themselves. Dan mentioned he was feeling "crispy after the roasting" but there was NOOOOO ROASTING, not funny roasting anyways, Phil and the cereal is soooooo 2015.

Simulation is next (which is basically the fan-fiction section from tatinof). I really didn't like this section (i'm sorry deppy) and there was an image with a horse with Dan's head on it with the words "ride me senpai" which was part of Phil's private collection which obviously got massive scream from the crowd. The section was really long and I didn't really get it as Phil's one (having a frappe and ending up deleting his instagram but making a deal with Satan) was completely unrelated to anything he has ever done. They both died at the end of their stories. I really felt during the matinee the crowd were kinda over it too as the cheers got quiter and quieter.

This section leads into the experiment where Phil almost fell up onto the stage because he missed a step. They get a collective name for the audience by making the crowd shout their names, they decide the audience are called "Janet". This is the start of a magic show kinda thing. I enjoyed this bit a lot and I'm glad Phil leads this section, he did so well with the magic show last time. They start off with a dog puzzle thing where everyone ultimately lands on the same dog "lorraine".
After the dog quiz Phil bring out a box that he apparently finds under Dan's bed. There is a bit of more forced fan interaction here which I totally wasn't expecting where they throw a ball into the crowd and if you catch it when the music stops you have to stand up and shout something out that you think is in the box. The matinee things were kinda boring "lorraine, a dog, phil". I think this is more just my sense of humour more so than anything else though (I wanted someone to shout out dildo), this leads into a magic trick where in a box the three words which are shouted out are within the locked box. It is clever how its done and I really liked this bit as it's funny with the crowd interaction. I'm not sure many people saw how they did it because they say "everyone look under your chair for a key" and of course people look away from the stage (i didn't haha).

Then we come onto the Dan and Phil survey section. This bit drags on slightly however leads into one of the best bits of the show. The last question isn't answered before the matinee but leads to them showing this massive wheel which one of them is going to get tied to depending on if people picked Dan or Phil to be "sacrificed". Before we find out they are on the moving platform and this is where the interval starts.

There is a 20 minute break between the two sections and I remember being a bit worried that I had bought tickets to a few shows and that maybe this wasn't my cup of tea. There had been a few sections that I thought were pretty predictable, but I got another drink and then waited for the second half to start before totally worrying about it haha. Glad I did because the second half does not disappoint at all.

When they come back on, Dan is tied to the wheel. Fucking so funny. I was saying to @human that I would be so disappointed if they didn't spin him a full 360, and they totally did. OMG it was so good. You don't actually get to see the percentage of the people who picked Dan or Phil and I'm pretty sure every night will be Dan due to Phil's motion sickness and the fact Phil is deemed to be more clumsy than Dan so it plays out really well. The whole Phil shooting things at Dan is HILARIOUS and he is actually so bad at it. The last one pretty much hits Dan in the penis (about an inch away) and he spends the next 5 minutes telling us about it. I was laughing so much. Dan is wearing a white body cover during this section and as Phil tries to lead into the next bit, Dan struggled to get out of the suit and it was so funny. He was there for like 3-4 minutes trying to get it off and Phil kept telling him he would help and he was refusing the help but was really stuck.

Wholesome Howell and X-Rated Lester comes next. Phil says that he didn't change his hair for at least 6 months because he was so worried that people wouldn't like him anymore (dude come on IDB more often we've been begging you for over a year). The matinee had a cockup with the layout and graphics and I really think half of the audience became confused here and it made the section really odd because it didn't seem like D&P realised the issue at first and when they did they seemed to both panic slightly. I'm not sure people really got it because Dan and Phil got a little flustered because of the mess and Dan had to do two words back to back and the graphics didn't resolve so it was slightly confusing. They pulled it off in the end but for about 5 minutes everyone seemed to be a bit wtf is going on and the crowd became kinda quiet. For the matinee performance and because of the issues I didn't really get it at first but the evening one was so much better as everything worked properly.

Dan vs Phil extreme friendship test followed and they called the bit about knowing each other "Phantastic Phacts". They had a "Dan, Phil or a rat" part which was quite amusing but them electrocuting each other was fantastic and their faces showed that they are getting a bit of pain here (the true roasting imo). The graphics for this section are amazing and the music that joined it was also fab. Very 8bit and old school. They're doing a DvP leaderboard for the whole tour, this one ended on 0-0 because neither of them won (I think this might be the theme of the whole show as they both have to do a forefit at the end but will see what happens as the show goes on).

This leads into the what do we want Dan and Phil to talk about (again @alittledizzy put all of these in her thread) and I loved this section as this is the sincere part which is totally unscripted and you see a stripped back version of Dan and Phil. I liked this because it was nice seeing them doing something that was unrehearsed and unplanned. It felt like you were really just sitting down with them chatting about life and it was fully relaxed. Dan uses the word "splunking" here which made us all chuckle because we are children. This is the section where he made it sound like him and Phil may not always work together in the future moving forward. I heard a clip of this bit and it reminded me that I looked at my friend and said "wow, he's making it sound so final" at the time but I think he didn't realise exactly what he was saying or how it came across because they changed it up in the evening one and didn't mention it the same way so I'm sure it was a ramble that didn't exactly go to plan. This is one of my favourite sections though, I love seeing a humble and honest Deppy.

The Interactive Introverts awards section starts now, I missed half of the matinee one because I needed to loo but I'm not that bothered because bar their beautiful glittery jackets and Phil referencing the Human Centipede I found this bit boring until the last award. Most of the animals they featured had been photoshopped but the "bored parent in the lobby" award was funny.

Nexxxxxxxt comes the best and final bit of the show. They try to troll the audience in the beginning and no joke half the audience around us fell for it and thought the show was over (I have no idea how they thought that it would be okay for the show to be over at this point) and they all started to get out signs they were going to hold up but then Deppy bust out the Phil diss track and the FRICKING BEST PART OF THE SHOW starts. Fuck me, I did not expect it to be as good as it was and I literally joined in with the crowd in screaming when Phil shouted the word bitch. My god, it was so good. They really do now how to put a good song together. I loved how they slice the rap and then Dan's piano section together. Phil is the star of the show in this section for me, he is so funny and it's not cringe at all. It's just so hilarious and good! I wanted to stand up and dance along but no one else did, shame on them all. They deserved a stand ovation for this part of the show it was SO GOOD. Me and Donna listened to the song on our way home today so I know all the words now haha ready for the next show when I'll be singing it loud and proud. I'll join in with their terrible singing because wow they were out of tune on so many bits but it doesn't matter because it was just so good and actually I think them being a bit wobbly made it that much better. There were a few bum notes on the piano as well but whatever, it was the first night. My throat hurt so much after this bit becuase I cheered and screamed and whooped the whole way through. And then it was over and they were saying goodbye. The music at the end is also really fecking good, I wonder if they designed the song or if it's just one I don't know. I would love an audio of it (please deps).

The evening show was exactly the same as the matinee one so I won't write a whole thing for it but we did get to hang out with @blackdenim and @rebeccarayne which was lovely, loved meeting you both <3 I noticed there was a lot more older people at this one (not parents) and the crowd were much louder and it made both parts sooo much more enjoyable. The crowd interacted better and I think Dan and Phil also seemed more at ease. There were much less production errors during this show as well. I'm sure as the shows carry on in a month it'll be super smooth.
There were a lot more innuendos in the evening show, Dan declaring that this is a "Dan and Phil spitroast" haha. There was also a line Dan said indicating he was talking about a golden shower but I can't remember if that was in the matinee or evening bit and I can't remember the exact words but Phil starts by saying "Dan is going to tinkle everywhere" with Dan replying "that he loves a good shower". Not sure many people picked up on it but dirty minded individuals such as myself definitely did.

Differences between the two shows:
- The crowd is called Janet in the matinee show and Bob in the evening show.
- The dog section you end up on the same square each time but they move the photos around so you ultimately pick a different dog. Morning was Lorraine and the evening was Bruce.
- The three things shouted out for the box are "harry styles, the void, potato".
- Phil helps Dan to get out of the suit in the wheel section which didn't happen during the matinee

So in summary:
The show is very clever and although it has some of the same elements as tatinof it is different because there is no theme to it. The stage layout, the lighting, the music and all of the graphics are beautiful. They did say the show would be less scripted than tatinof but it is 80% scripted however the parts which are ad-libbed are full of sincere comments which are both cute and really nice to hear. The wheel and the song are frigging amazing, I might go so far to say that Phil's rapping is 100% better than The Internet Is Here. I'm looking forwards to seeing it again (and again and again) to see how much they improve the show and if they make any small changes.
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Here’s my report of the Brighton shows. I’ve mentioned the differences I can remember, but there might be some mistakes in what they talked about before each segment and which order they’re in especially in the first half. I wish I could remember all the innuendos Phil came out with. Dan kept count as he facepalmed and told him off each time, and after the first one near the start of the evening show he said they might need to have a word later. The bits with options I couldn’t remember are mostly listed here - viewtopic.php?f=26&p=88612#p8861

At the start, right at the end of the last song (I think Welcome to the Black Parade), the sound and lights go off, the big screen shows static and smoke starts coming out under the screen where a platform slides forward and the screen opens to reveal them standing. They slide forwards standing very straight and when they come a halt, a worried Phil asks “What are we doing here, Dan?” to which Dan replies, in that ominous here-we-go-then kind of way, “Giving the people what they want, Phil”.

They jump down and say Hi to everyone, waving at different levels of the theatre. As you look at the stage, Dan is usually on the left and Phil on the right. They explain what an introvert is, how it’s different from being shy and Phil says if he was shy or not at all outgoing he wouldn’t be onstage right now, and if he was he’d be sitting circled up in the foetal position on the floor. He sits down and hugs his knees, says it’s actually quite comfortable down here, but Dan tells him to stand up. They ask if anyone else is an introvert too and empathise. They ask if there are any extroverts and Dan says “Security. Keep an eye on them”.

They talk about the concept of the show and start with what they won’t be doing which is where they all use all the props we saw on the table in the rehearsal video. They won’t be doing the 6-second challenge where Phil tells Dan to do an impression of a llama (which he did pretty well, the trot and the big teeth). They won’t be doing kinky roleplay, so Phil puts on the police helmet and picks up the baton while Dan holds the handcuffs and they play the line about him having sensitive skin. They won’t be dressing up as their cute pastel personas - cue flower crowns, Dan holding the basket of flowers and Phil hugging the big stuffed bunny as they skip towards the front of the stage. They won’t be following YouTube trends - Dan picks up the makeup brush and powder puff and says, “Phil, put a hundred layers of makeup on me” or Phil eating a bowl of Tide Pods (crunch sound effect). They won’t be letting us stroke their hair, so they put the little hairpieces on and came forward with their heads bent, then threw the hairpieces into the audience. They won’t be inviting all their famous YouTube friends onstage for a big party (wearing shiny blue and green party hats) because none of their friends answered their messages (sadness). They won’t be sharing personal information so they play audio about Phil having contracted chlamydia from a koala and Dan having actually murdered a person whose body is now in this box (the props crate they’d wheeled out). And they won’t be stripping, cue stripper music as they walk sexily to the front of the stage and rip off their Velcro-ed extra shirts to reveal their shirts with the ab-printouts sellotaped on. They ripped those off and gave them to people in the audience.

They talked some more and lead into Truth Bombs. One for each of them with three answers to choose from, and one for them both. I didn’t remember the options, but they’re in the compilation thread.

Then they fire up their billion-dollar incredible-AI simulator program to safely let us play with them as if they were Sims. It’s such an advanced system, Elon Musk is quaking and their sim-selves have feelings (Phil lists three, but he either forgot one or was just making them up cos the third was kinda the same as one of the others, and I don’t remember any of them). Phil says when he was a teenager he used to do things like take away the swimming pool ladder or remove the door and set everything on fire to see what would happen. The test simulation is Dan at home in front of his piano and computer, with a trap in the floor. The text is white in a blue box like in the Final Fantasy games and the options are for him to enjoy his peace and quiet or open the mystery trap door. When everyone Cher’s for the trap door, just opening it makes him fall in. From the sound effects, it’s a long, frightening and painful way down. Dan is upset with our decision.

Next, the choose-your-adventure of Phil going to Barstucks (because they don’t want to get sued) and getting a nice hot chocolate or a unicorn death frappe (name is longer, but basically it’s unicorn-and-death sweet). There’s a photo of Phil, a chef and the two drinks. The hot chocolate is in a tall glass with cream on top and the frappe is pastel blue in a jar-style glass mug, also with cream. The frappe gives him the sugar shakes so does he post a shaky selfie with it or accidentally post a private photo of himself in his pants (the Phil’s-head-on-ripped-abs photo they showed in the rehearsal video). He can leave the photo up, go home and watch Fletnix, which Dan says means watching The Crown, but if he deletes it, he deletes his whole twitter account so does he leave it gone or make a deal with a kooky horned guy who appears (Satan). If he does a deal with the devil, he ends up in hell where Dan appears to the sound of scissors, and glue dripping onto glitter. Dan holds up a potato and says “it’s printing time, Philly”, then stamps him to death for all eternity. Phil says he didn’t enjoy the feeling of a wet potato on his back when they filmed the crafts video.

Dan’s one is unrealistic from the start, as he acknowledges. He’s outside for a walk in the park when a mysterious figure appears. He can go home and sit in the dark or talk to them. If he talks to them, it’s guy a in a fursuit and he can show him some memes on his phone or buy a ticket to an underground furry rave. If he goes home, he can still end up at the rave. At the rave, he can do body shots off an otter or talk to a group of people. After doing the shots, he needs to pee, but the men’s toilet is locked so he can ask someone for the door code or use the ladies’. If he uses the ladies’ loo, he gets his tail trapped in a door, slips on the floor and dies. They show his gravestone which says he was a degenerate who died as he lived and the news reports how he died so that becomes his legacy.

They talk some more about all this and Dan points out some of us cheered for the nice, safe option, but got drowned out. Phil talks about mob mentality and they wonder why people ending up getting swept away, grabbing a pitchfork along with the others. They say they’d love to get to know us all individually, but Phil can’t slide into all of our dm’s and they don’t have time for a 6-hour chat over coffee with each of us, but they have a way and ask us all to call out our names. From that mess of noise comes one unifying name - Janet in the matinee and in the evening, Dan heard Joel, but Phil heard Bob and they go with that. They refer to us doing things as Janet or Bob.

They talk about their YouTube personas vs now they really are as themselves, Daniel Howell and not actually Phil Lester, but Nigel Humperdinck in the matinee and Boris Smith in the evening (it’s a relief to be open about it, apparently). Dan asks if anyone remembers Wholesome Howell and how it was a reaction to people saying he jokes about death too much and thought it was a good change. They bring up graphics of Phil as an angel with white wings with a pastel rainbow in the background and Dan as a demon with goat horns, dark red lipstick, a teardrop on each cheek in the same colour and a horned emoji on his top. He says he thinks he rocks the lipstick and I agree. They decide to swap personalities and convince us good things are bad and bad things are good, taken from the website survey, so they have the opposite graphics too. Phil also rocks the lipstick and has an added arm tattoo of two tapered lines. Very edgy. They bring up the words people submitted and try to convince us. Dan does better overall, but ultimately Phil is still too sweet and good. They also messed up the graphics and music in the matinee as Dan’s first one was memes that he had to convince us we’re good, which is his stance already so it was easy. They carried on just swapping which way they were meant to do it and had it fixed in the evening.

Magic trick with the dog photos - a grid of 16 photos of different breeds of dog each on a blue or orange background. Phil tells us to stick out a finger and point to any dog on a certain coloured square. They say not to tickle the back of anyone’s neck, Dan jokes this isn’t 4D. Phil tells us to move where we’re pointing up, down, left, right or diagonally to the next square of blue or orange and we all land up pointing at the same dog. Those who got a different dog? You’re doing it wrong. You’re not fully a part of Janet or Bob yet.

Magic scroll trick with the ball. Phil gets a small locked metal box out, covered in caution stickers, and says it from underneath Dan’s bed. To find out what we think is in it, he also brings out a bouncy ball that he bounces on the floor. It’s yellow with dark blue stripes, so triply if you spin it. He throws it into the audience and it bounces around, music playing, until he tells the sound people to stop the music. The person holding it stands up and guesses what’s in the box. In the matinee it was “Lorraine” (one of the dogs), “Dog” or “”. In the evening it was “Harry Styles”, “The Void” and “Potato”.

Phil goes off to get a small, high metal table to put the box on and then realises he doesn’t have the key. Asks the audience to look under their seats for a key. No key (sneaky sneks, was a diversion). Dan says he’s got it and if Phil needed it, he should have asked. It’s on a red ribbon just big enough to be worn as a choker. Phil says it looks a bit 50 shades of grey. He opens the box and pulls out a clear cylinder with a paper scroll inside. They unravel the scroll to reveal the three things people guessed were inside the box. How did they do it? Chris Cox knows and he ain’t telling.

Dan is offended that Phil used invading his privacy as the setup for a magic trick.

Survey-science time with glasses and clipboards. Test question was would you save your phone or your friends from s burning building - in the matinee only 10% said phone, in the evening it was more. The favourite video series was way different too - Pinof only got 10% in the matinee and Crafts had 40%, but had 5% in the evening. In the evening show they wondered why we like their baking so much seeing as they’re so bad at it. Dan said people like watching someone who’s really into something doing it with passion, but failing at it. The section ends with the tough question of choosing between them, but it’s not just that - it’s which one we could sacrifice. Music gets serious and the side-screens light up with flame graphics and their names on each side. The one we chose will be put in mortal danger and when we come back from the break, will be tied to this target wheel - the screen moves aside and it slides forward. There are supports for their neck, hands and feet. They climb onto the platform either side of it and the screen closes as they say they’ll see us after the interval.

The interval ends as dramatically as the song playlist - lights down and the screen moves to reveal the wheel - both times it’s Dan strapped to it in the white coverall and big eye-protection glasses. He’s not happy or quiet about it. Phil appears wearing black latex gloves, which Dan comments on. Phil goes to the front right of the stage to pull out a black crate full of projectile weapons and say he’s going to fire ever-more-dangerous things at Dan. Except he’s actually trying not to hit him. The first is a slingshot with an orange softball (size of a tennis ball). In the matinee it hit Dan in the left leg and left an orange mark. He reacted almost as if he’d been shot, of course. I think in the evening show it missed, but still near the leg. Next was the bow and arrow with a foam tip painted orange. Phil even turned around to point it at us so we could see and Dan said “now you know how I’ve felt for the last two minutes”. Phil hit Dan in the right arm this time in the matinee. In the evening show it just hit him in about the sam place. Third thing was a big gun that looked like it was made of cardboard tubes painted silver - The Bazooka 9000. Phil turns around again to show us and the main barrel-tube contains a painted ball. This one hits Dan near the crotch both times, closer in the matinee, according to Dan two inches higher in the evening. Both times he moans “if that that had been this much closer..!” In the matinee he called Phil a dick which was hilarious, he clapped his hand to his mouth so it was a mistake.

Dan gets so annoyed with Phil that he decided enough’s enough and he’s getting down off the wheel (I thought this defeated the point somewhat, but good that they can safely just hop down). He goes to the crate at the front to put his white suit away and has a bit of trouble taking it off. In the evening, Phil helped him by pulling a sleeve, which everyone loved, but in the matinee he struggled along and Phil laughed a little from elsewhere on the stage. In the evening he forgot the shoe-covers so Phil reminded him and as he pulled them off, he joked about how stylish they are.

Dan vs Phil - they talk about how they’ve explored how well we know them and they us, but they haven’t looked at the relationship between the two of them, so now it’s time to see how well they know each other. They break out the electrocution devices (silly sods) and strap in. There’s a dial on the big screen going from yellow to orange, red and blue (green too? Maybe level 0) cos they turn it up between rounds. First is psychic connection - matinee is insects and Dan says bees, but Phil says dragonflies. Dan asks why he chose such a weird one and Phil says that’s just what popped into his head. So, they failed. I’m the evening the theme was cartoon character and they both said a Simpson, Phil said Lisa, but I didn’t catch what Dan said. Again, they failed. Shock, ouch, “ooh, that’s fizzy”. Phil kept referring to it as feeling fizzy.

Have a look at the post for the rest of the questions, I don’t remember them all. They got very few right, but ended up with a draw both shows so the leaderboard showed two fat 0s and Dan joked both times about we got to be here and see the time it was 0. The forfeit is to be shocked at highest level (honestly, at this point I’m tempted to smack them) and since they drew, they both step onto the podium and shock each other. Ultimate fizz.

Electricity so strong, in fact, they break the show and all the stagelights go out. Time for the intimate bit from the final question in the survey - what would you like to ask Dan and Phil. The most genuine bit of the show. Phil sits on the front of the stage with his feet hanging off the edge while Dan sits on the back on one of the benches (on the right, though Phil sat to the right of middle in the matinee and to the left in the evening). Phil pulls a folded up piece of A4 paper from his pocket where he’s written the questions (I was in the second row for the evening show and did see his handwriting when he turned it round). They were very sweet with their answers, plus jokes such as Dan avoiding life by turning left as a sperm. In the evening show particularly I noticed how much Dan was smiling in support of Phil’s answers of advice, it was lovely, very big brotherly towards the Phandom.

The show reboots/power comes back on with a mouse-arrow clicking a small square Interactive Introverts computer icon on the big screen.

The first annual Golden I Awards. They put on sparkly sequinned jackets - Dan’s is silver with a red collar (maybe velvet? No scratchy sequins, anyway, they learned from the US Tatinof suits) and Phil’s is gold with a black collar, so contrasts with his shirt. The trophy is made of two naked men standing back to back with a red pipe-cleaner tied around their heads and two in red and black around their chests. Kinky indeed. It’s a metaphorical pat-on-the-back-and-feel-good award cos they could only afford one statue and aren’t giving them to anybody (I did wonder how that would work). The first award is for most inaccurate prediction of what the show would be. Then most unimpressed parent award from who they found in the foyer willing to be photographed (at this point I want to squee over having seen an actor in the foyer with two daughters who looked to be about 10. I hoped to see him in a play recently, but he wasn’t on that day, or indeed this day. I’d seen him on tv years ago). Then there was the pet dressed as Dan or Phil and some were dressed up, some were drawn on. Dan joked in the matinee about slight animal abuse. I know my cat would be perturbed if I started dressing her in things. They seem to like a good tshirt and flower crown combo on a dog with a doleful expression.

They skipped the 10-second impression videos and went to the final award - what the people want the most. The options are Phil’s Diss Track, big cheers. Dan plays the piano, also cheers. Dan and Phil tells us their life stories and answer all of our questions. And a video of a dog that has nothing to do with Dan and Phil. The dog video wins and it’s a corgi running through the snow. Dan says that’s nice, sounds like he’s wrapping up the show, but Phil interrupts and says since they gave us that, what’s the harm in giving us something else that we want? And I’m so glad he did, honestly in the matinee I was sad to see the diss track and piano were separate options because I was so there for both above everything else. He gets his sunglasses, red baseball cap with the letter P on the front in white, and two mics, and hands one to Dan.

Then comes the most glorious song since The Internet is Here (and Dan’s diss track). Massive cheers when he says “bitch”, I mean he says it pretty strongly. He went there with all of it, even ginger-confirmed. The bit about nothing rhyming with Cumberbatch sets up Dan to walk off in a huff at this rubbish so he can go sit at his piano and then Phil announces that after the line about living in Dan’s shadow. He reaches his arm back to point as the big screen moves to reveal Dan on the platform at the white piano with the electric keyboard built into it. There’s strips of tinsel hanging from the top and it’s all so cosy when Dan says “Good evening, this is a story about two guys called Dan and Phil”. Phil joins him and climbs up to sit on the piano.

Halfway through the song, Phil jumps down and goes back to the rap until the line “if it wasn’t for me, you’d be in jail” then he turns and sees Dan’s face and says “you’re looking at me like that was betrayal”, then “time to bail”, but Dan calls him and says “come back here” and tells him to leave the cap and glasses. Phil put them away on the right side of the stage in the matinee, but in the crate at the front on the left in the evening. Dan tells him “they just want something nice, just stand there and sing something” so Phil stands on the podium for the loveliest bit of the song that “you’re as important to us as we are to you”. He gets into the baritone range with “we never thought that we’d come this far” and then higher, also into a crescendo, “but now we’re on a stage and here we are!” In the evening show he dropped to his knees and worked it, full rockstar style. Standing or not, Dan stops him because even though it’s lovely, he’s in Dan’s light and this isn’t the Phil show while Dan sits in the background so come back over here (I love it when they’re bossy to each other).

They continue the song and as everyone’s clapping, Dan stops to say “no, guys, this is about us” and they do the bit about how they haven’t fallen out in 10 years of knowing each other and have a lot of dirt on each other. Cue calling each other out for killing houseplants, never going outside (Dan says “Phil!” apparently that was too far), Dan says Phil’s vision is blurry and Phil points at him and says “you are a furry!” I was so surprised by that in the matinee, it was so funny. Then Phil puts his feet up on the piano, but Dan says “feet off!”, pushes them off and says “back to the chorus, that worked well” and they continue until the end.

It’s such a sweet song and I’m so glad they’re happy to sing, and Dan to play the piano. My mum always says how multi-talented a lot of performers are and these two have certainly got a few they’re good at. The lines “thanks for watching me for all of the memes. It’s been terrible for our self-esteem” and “we don’t care if it hurts or not, we just want to give the people what they want” kinda sum up their whole life on youtube making content and having such an active audience.

The songs absolutely made it for me. I found the matinee kinda flat and it was only when Dan announced that the consequences of the sacrifice question would happen after the interval that I felt it had enough oomph. Their entrance had, actually, but mostly I found it all quite cute and had expected it to be deeper. The evening show was way better, but I’m not sure if it was them having got more into, the audience being better, or just me knowing what to expect. I thought the logic of convincing us good was bad and bad was good meaning they should have opposite personalities didn’t really add up, but I guess they got the conclusion that Dan finds it easier to be wholesome than Phil finds being hardcore, they’re not totally psychic, we as an audience are made of individual people with different opinions and they’ll be genuine without telling us everything.
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

Fantastic review @flarequake, I loved reading it.

I agree so much with the last paragraph, maybe that’s why I also found the first half a bit flat too, I expected it to be more serious than it actually was! And I probably also enjoyed it more the second time because I knew the layout and what to expect.
malday
emo goose

Thank you for the reviews! :stan: Was the speech about fandoms the same in the evening and the matinee?
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Thank you :ribena: It was fun reading yours too and good to remember some bits I’d forgotten. I don’t remember the fandom speech, not sure now which bit that was.

I can see now I’ve read both reviews that I put the magic tricks separately from the bit they actually followed on from. Also lots of typos, whoops :roll:
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Some more bits about these shows pulled from the main thread:

Song Lyrics
human wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:13 pm Here are the lyrics to the Phil Diss Track/Interactive Introverts musical number, to the best of mine and missemma's ability. Huge props to Emma for getting such amazing audio and for the funniest car journey ever ahahah.

Hopefully will be able to update some of the talking parts that are tough to hear at some point.
Phil's Diss Track/Interactive Introverts

[Phil, talks]
It’s time for something fresh
From three years ago (Dan: this is happening)
It might not be amazing (I’m so sorry)
You’re about to get “philled” in!

[Phil, raps]
My name’s Phil Lester
Thankfully not mo (oh okay)
It’s finally time to make my diss track yo (yeah)
Thought I was too innocent to roast myself
Watch out BITCH this might be bad for your health
YouTube dinosaur whose channels older than your mum (yes)
So insanely clumsy always falling on his bum
Some people think its weird 'cos he doesn’t like cheeses
He’s so frickin’ pale think the sun gave him diseases

[Talking]
d: *not audible*
p: I just rhymed cheeses with diseases
d: you did that

[Phil, talks]
It’s only gonna get more brutal
So you might wanna call an ambulance
For me
Or yourself

(Dan: Go!)

[Phil, raps]
His name’s AmazingPhil (what)
So why’s he so great (dunno)
For ten years he had hair from 2008 (ooh)
All that time hiding behind a fringe (yup)
And on top of all that, he’s secretly a ginge
You quiffed it up. what is this - a rebrand?
If you didn’t dye it black you’d be totally bland
And innocent? Whatever, wait ’til you’re in private
Your mouth’s so dirty you sound like a pirate (ooh!)
Innocent? Whatever, you know that’s a lie
You just don’t wanna get demonetised (TRUE!)
Your vids are so sweet you don't even say crap
I bet you’d even sensor the swear in this rap

[Talking]
d: No no Phil, come down the stage!
p: Don’t be so BEEP ridiculous!
d: Don’t do it! Don’t do it!
p: I can’t swear??
d: You’re going to get fined!
p: What the BEEP!
d: No phil STOP get back to rapping, ok

[Phil, raps]
You look like a badly photoshopped Benedict Cumberbatch
Now I realise nothing rhymes with Cumberbatch
So I guess this verse doesn’t rhyme (ok you went there, I’m out bye)
I better get going
End the bants
I murdered this beat like I murder houseplants
You can’t keep a cactus so why’d you want a dog
I give it ten weeks before the funeral vlog
Don’t get me started on that guy called Dan
The only reason I’m here is people ship phan
*Can’t hear this* of living in his shadow
Next thing you know he’ll be playing the piano…

[Piano moves onstage, Dan plays]

[Dan talks to the audience and introduces the true story of Dan and Phil]

[Dan, sings]
Once upon a time there was a boy named Dan
With brown emo hair and a weird brown tan
He spent a lot of time on the internet alone
But on YouTube he found a place to call home

[Talking]
D: you like that, just trying to show off my range
P: yeah

[Dan Singing again]
A magical world of skateboarding cats
Of vloggers and filmmakers and big headed twats (d: you know its true don’t judge me, ok)
But Dan enjoyed this world all alone until
He met a black haired emo called AmazingPhil

[Talking]
P: That’s me!
D: That’s you!

[Dan, sings]
This Phil guy he was weird but also pretty rad
He talked about his life and he wore a lot of plaid
Dan wanted to join in but he couldn’t make clips
So he asked “hey buddy, can I have some editing tips?”

[Dan, talking]
Hit 'em Phil! (seems to be expecting Phil to sing, Phil grabs his hat instead)

[Phil, raps]
Urgh shut up Dan this piano is whack (it isn’t!)
The people liked the rap so philly is back (NO THEY DON’T)
Better hurry up with the story of this track (*inaudible*)
We been friends for ten years they all know the tale
If you didn’t know me you’d be stuck in jail (ok really)
Oh you’re looking at me like this is a betrayal (yes, yes it is)
I guess its time to bail

[Dan tells Phil off and makes him “do something nice”]

[Phil, sings]
The futures unclear
But I know this is true
You’re as important to us as we’re important to you
We never knew we would make it this far
But now we’re on a stage and here we are

[Dan complains that Phil is standing in his light, makes Phil come back to the piano)

[CHORUS, both sing]
(d: We’re just two)
Interactive Introverts
Interactive Introverts
We don’t care if it hurts or not
We just want to give the people what they want
(d: Because we’re)
Interactive Introverts

[Talking]
p: It’s crazy we’ve been friends for so long and never fallen out
d: I’m sure there’s plenty of material

[Sings]
d: Your houseplants have died
p: You don’t go outside
d: Your vision is blurry
p: You are a furry

[Talking]
d: Ok let’s stop, we’re fighting now this bit is too long
P: We might not make it to the end of this song

[Dan pushes Phil’s leg off the piano where he’d started to lie down]

[CHORUS, both sing]
(d: ‘Cos we’re)
Interactive Introverts
Interactive Introverts
Thanks for watching and for all of the memes
This is terrible but what self esteem
(d: Because we’re)
Interactive Introverts
Interactive Introverts

We don’t care if it hurts or not
We just want to give the people what they want
Dan's Talk about the Future
alittledizzy wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:43 pm
Dan changed it up to make it much, much less ominous sounding in the second show. I think perhaps he didn't realize quite how heavy the wording was the first time and then changed it to match the intention of what he was saying. It comes during a kind of mushy moment where he's talking about why connecting with the audience is important.

Matinee version:
D: Me and Phil, because we’ve just been following this happy accidental adventure of Dan and Phil - (Dan misspeaks, everyone laughs) - but a time may come when we’ll want to follow rainbows of our own. For example, Phil will want to-
P: I might want to make this not-hamster documentary.
D: And I don’t want to follow Phil down that path. Before that happens, that is why we wanted to have this opportunity to actually interact with you and feel like we had a conversation, we saw your faces, we managed to bond with each other.
Evening show version:
D: I think it's safe to say that EVENTUALLY we might want to do SOME projects that are just for ourselves, like what were you saying the other -
P: Yeah I was saying I might make a documentary about odd socks. Where do the other socks go?
D: And we all support him. But I don't need to join him on that adventure, right?
P: No.
D: But before that, while we're all here today we want to let you in, to like the real Dan and Phil connection.
P: The raw, intimate connection.
D: Literally, stop saying intimate.
P: I didn't make it better by putting raw in front of it, did I?
The VIP Bag
hello9217 wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:56 pm
Put under spoiler just in case.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

Nice reviews, looks you've all had a good time. I've got an image in my head of the local bar scene getting flooded by D&P fans (with whiskers) meeting up before and after the show. Must have been an odd view for a passer-by :)

@missemma You mentioned that the crowd composition looked a bit different compared to tatinof as there were more older people. Do you mean with 'older' like student-aged people (vs high school and younger) or do you mean people in their thirties and up ?
How much of the audience was families do you wager?
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
DatCog
blobfish

Sorry, had some issues getting the recordings off my phone but here's the full audio from the evening show. I haven't fully checked it all through so I apologise if you can hear my 12 year old who was sat next to me. She was so hyped up!

1st half: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XIs8w ... ROdlF2EaN-
2nd half: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZCKBs ... yxJDH9EUr4