Shane Dawson

onetruetrash
blobfish

Here we go.

Shane has been a pretty famous YouTuber for a long, long time. I never found him very funny up until a few months ago when my sister started watching him. I thought his newer videos were funnier than his old ones even with the questionable quality and effort. Even when he done something many times before, I still managed to laugh every single time.

I knew he had talked about Dan and Phil in one of his conspiracy videos. Even though I didn't like what he did, especially since he had no idea what he was talking about, I still continued to watch him because everyone does dumb shit. Then he kept on mentioning them. They were just little mentions so it didn't bother me that much. Then in a podcast a few weeks ago, he and the Psychic Twins started talking about their sexualities, which they clearly knew nothing about. They started saying they were straight because of the shoes they wore, that they're leading their fans on for views, and just generally entirely rude comments. I was mad, but I decided to give him one more chance. Then he did it again. About a week ago Shane uploaded a video and my sister watched it and I overheard the video and he was talking about Dan and Phil so much. I'm done watching him now. I just despise this trend of using Dan and Phil for views. Someone outside of this site needs to call Shane out on his bs.
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

oh god i was thinking to myself i hope someone makes a shane dawson thread, but i didn't want it to be me

to be honest, i don't really mind shane. i think he's hilarious. i don't really like him using dan and phil for views, but that doesn't change that i still enjoy a lot of his videos nonetheless and his sense of humor. i dunno. i just seem to like a lot of "problematic" youtubers. (not gonna name others as i don't want hate) but. yeah.

i don't mind him all that much. i probably sound like a bad person for saying that but, he's just really funny. i can't help i find him funny.
:transheart:
onetruetrash
blobfish

Skylar wrote:oh god i was thinking to myself i hope someone makes a shane dawson thread, but i didn't want it to be me

to be honest, i don't really mind shane. i think he's hilarious. i don't really like him using dan and phil for views, but that doesn't change that i still enjoy a lot of his videos nonetheless and his sense of humor. i dunno. i just seem to like a lot of "problematic" youtubers. (not gonna name others as i don't want hate) but. yeah.

i don't mind him all that much. i probably sound like a bad person for saying that but, he's just really funny. i can't help i find him funny.
I'm glad you're able to look past that. He really is a funny guy and good at heart, but I don't wanna support what he's doing right now.
onetruetrash
blobfish

Also, my sister got his book today and the guy checking the books out said that he met Shane at book signings and that he was pretty cool.
000dia000
emo goose

I agree. I find him funny but he does too much stupid/offensive stuff that it gets on my nerves. He defends himself that it's all for the purpose of entertainment and not to be taken literally, but he's used this method as a token card to excuse shit
:cactus:
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

God, I dislike Shane. I used to be a fan a long time ago but his homophobic and racist jokes made me very uncomfortable so I stopped watching him sometime in 2012 (it was around the time he did super luv). I think he never really knows where the limit lies to be honest, he always has to take stuff that one step too far. The real deal breaker for me was the drama he started with Franchesca Ramsey in 2015 after she called him out on his racism. That was so ugly and even though I’m really forgiving in general and I believe that people can grow, I don’t think Shane will ever change. He’ll apologise, pretend like he’s really sorry and then just go on doing what he does best which is stirring up drama and gaining views on the expense of others.

This new deppy drama is just his next stunt in a long line of similar situations and I don’t think it will ever stop. All his ranting about how the world was out to get him because people started calling him out on his bullshit, pretending like he didn’t know what he was doing whenever he has to own up to something, accusing people of stuff he’s done himself without ever acknowledging it… there’s so much about him I dislike, I could rant for hours. Bottom line is Shane would probably do anything for attention and he doesn’t care who he hurts along the way. He’s also really good at playing the victim card, as someone in the main thread had pointed out, which is something I seriously can’t stand.

This deppy drama is not the only questionable thing he’s done and I wish the phandom would have realised he was horrible before his horribleness involved their faves but better late than never. I don’t think he’s good at heart, as onetruetrash called it. I think he’s just really good at pretending he is.
onetruetrash
blobfish

Katka wrote:This deppy drama is not the only questionable thing he’s done and I wish the phandom would have realised he was horrible before his horribleness involved their faves but better late than never. I don’t think he’s good at heart, as onetruetrash called it. I think he’s just really good at pretending he is.
Yeah, I'm taking back about what I said about him apologizing because he's still playing dumb, like he thought that he thought it was just all made up for fun and be cause of the conspiracy video, we all know that's a shit lie.
fondsmiles
phabergé
Pronouns: she/her

I saw yesterday or so on twitter a conversation thread between him and a fan account about the current drama, and I wanted to share it here. This is the last tweet in this particular chain: I don't 100% like everything that's been said there, but I found it good to see a calm and respectful discussion between a phan and Shane himself.
i literally thought their ship was a fan made thing. i've never thought it was real. like how people ship me and joey
this is something Shane said, and while I don't know how much of that is true, I do think it'd explain his actions maybe.

I personally don't know all that much about Shane. I watched some of his more serious videos, because I never connected to his humour, I felt uncomfortable by how brash he can be and how much he talks himself down. But his serious videos I always really liked, he's someone who's opened up about mental health things and shows himself in quite unflattering emotional moments online, and I value it when people are able to do that.
The way I look at him is that he deals probably with quite a lot of stuff, just personally, and the things I imagine would also perfectly explain the kind of behaviour he's often showing online. That's why I am very hesitant to judge him as "bad", rude or simply attention-seeking. (but also, then again, he most likely is, so are we all when we say something here, so is every single youtuber. looking for attention is not plainly a bad thing.)
In my opinion (that is very uninformed, but I think no one here is fully informed, only Shane or people who know him personally can really say more on that), I don't look at the things he does as malicious behaviour, I believe that they stem from being uninformed and not thinking things through fully, as well as him being insecure and struggling and just who he learned to be.
His behaviour and the effects it has may often be not okay, but that doesn't mean he himself is a bad guy and that his inner logic wouldn't make sense to us if he were able to fully explain his thought processes. (again, doesn't make it right, just makes it understandable).
[x]
[x]
onetruetrash
blobfish

Shane just made a video with Jeffree Starr. Lol fuck shane
RRR98
drama llama

onetruetrash wrote:Shane just made a video with Jeffree Starr. Lol fuck shane
Who is Jeffrey star and what has he done to get this reaction?
onetruetrash
blobfish

RRR98 wrote:
onetruetrash wrote:Shane just made a video with Jeffree Starr. Lol fuck shane
Who is Jeffrey star and what has he done to get this reaction?
I think he's just beauty guru, but he's racist and an overall horrible person. Calling people rats, lying about people, just bad things. I saw a video about it last night, lemme find it.

Edit: skip to 19:44 https://youtu.be/N1qdgArqOSI also read the description
pastelspectre
stress mushroom

ooooo yeah i saw that and i was like.... why shane why jeffree is awful ugh. not gonna watch bc i cant stand jeffree.
onetruetrash
blobfish

Um... Is Shane okay? I don't even like him, but a few months ago, I watched Onision's video (not that I watch him regularly ew no), but in the video, he made a good point about Shane recently gaining a lot of weight. He makes so many food videos and has been open about struggling with an eating disorder in the past, so I was kinda concerned. I became even more concerned when I saw this video.

What do y'all think?
iero
phabergé

onetruetrash wrote: What do y'all think?
ehh i'm unsure about the video, i also have an ED and i've never heard of people purposely buying food just to destroy it, it's usually food that's already in the house or was originally bought to eat/binge that is destroyed (i feel like shane knows that food is going to be destroyed before he buys it because some of it obviously isn't gonna taste good) of course everybody is different though and an ED can make people do strange things

i have noticed some of his content that could be ED related though, like when he used to do candy hauls with trisha and he literally wouldn't swallow anything even if he thought it was good
twix
butt chair

not that this necessarily means anything, but i had to install a chrome plugin over a year ago to block all of shane's thumbnails when i was browsing the trending section or w/e because they were so triggering.

he's been making content that could be construed as pro-ED for a while now.
pastelspectre
stress mushroom

i never really thought about that..i read both of his books and figured he was doing a bit better on the ed part. i've just thought he's been coping with his issues using a lot of self deprecating jokes.
onetruetrash
blobfish

Okay, someone please tell me that I'm not the only who can't stand his conspiracy theory videos. I see so many people who talk about how much they love them, but his videos spread so much misinformation. I know a lot of people just watch his conspiracy videos for fun, but I don't understand the appeal if a lot of the things he says aren't even true. There are so many conspiracy theory YouTubers who actually put a lot of research into their videos, but it just seems like Shane googled some theories and does no further investigating of his own. His videos aren't terrible, but I don't get why everyone is so crazy about them.
pastelspectre
stress mushroom

i don't mind his conspiracy theory videos, i will watch them depending on what theory its about but i mean i also watch shane p often so thats probably why
greenergrass
stress mushroom

I've been watching quite a bit of Shane recently. I'm not at all interested in the conspiracy videos, which it sounds like they are the most popular. I'm more into the more vloggy types that he's been doing with other people, like the more casual ones with ryland and/or garret and/or drew.

I've never been that into him before, seen only a few videos here and there (mostly just the more serious/honest ones, like where he came out as bi, or talking about serious issues). I know a lot of people hate him and he's definitely done problematic shit before (and I also remember discussions when I was just a lurker on this site, of him using deppy in clickbaity ways and shit, so I know he's not too popular here), but from what I'm aware of he's also apologized for stuff in the past.

But I don't know, I started to have a soft spot for him. He's clearly been through a lot of shit and has been incredibly insecure - not at all saying this is an excuse for any shitty things he's done, and I also might not be aware of all (or even the worst) things he's done before, so feel free to enlighten me on any irredeemable qualities he might have. I'm still a very casual viewer of his, only watching select videos that seem like they'd be interesting/funny to me, but I can say that I laugh out loud at least once per video which very few youtubers can make me do. I'm not a fan of any gross humour, but it's his incredibly quick lines that get me. He also seems like he has a good heart, and I feel like you can see this on the more vloggy style vids when he's interacting with drew, garrett, etc. and you can see moments where he like stops and makes sure they are okay with a joke or situation.

I'm just blabbering on now, but was interested to see what others' thoughts were (fair warning - I'm a new "fan" of his and I haven't read this whole thread back yet, so I'm sorry if anyone here truly hates him for something he's done and I've offended you).
fondsmiles
phabergé

whatdoiknow wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:18 am But I don't know, I started to have a soft spot for him. He's clearly been through a lot of shit and has been incredibly insecure - not at all saying this is an excuse for any shitty things he's done, and I also might not be aware of all (or even the worst) things he's done before, so feel free to enlighten me on any irredeemable qualities he might have. I'm still a very casual viewer of his, only watching select videos that seem like they'd be interesting/funny to me, but I can say that I laugh out loud at least once per video which very few youtubers can make me do. I'm not a fan of any gross humour, but it's his incredibly quick lines that get me. He also seems like he has a good heart, and I feel like you can see this on the more vloggy style vids when he's interacting with drew, garrett, etc. and you can see moments where he like stops and makes sure they are okay with a joke or situation.
I actually am in a quite similar position!

I don't like things he's done in relation to deppy, and I am just personally no fan of conspiracy videos or the loud and brash aspects of his personality he displays a lot (but obviously he can be that, it's just not a character trait I enjoy to be around). But I also have watched mostly some of his more serious content, and it really touches me.
Recently I watched just a random video of his, the 73 questions for vogue parody, and in that I felt really lovingly towards him as well in most aspects.
I have perceived him as a person that is not unafraid to show their vulnerabilities. He talks about them openly and shares his true self, and that is something I admire and look up to in people.
I won't ever be a huge fan, because of the other aspects of his that I don't enjoy as much, but regardless of them, I definitely will always appreciate him for this part of his.
[x]
[x]
greenergrass
stress mushroom

fondsmiles wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:12 pm I don't like things he's done in relation to deppy, and I am just personally no fan of conspiracy videos or the loud and brash aspects of his personality he displays a lot (but obviously he can be that, it's just not a character trait I enjoy to be around). But I also have watched mostly some of his more serious content, and it really touches me.
Recently I watched just a random video of his, the 73 questions for vogue parody, and in that I felt really lovingly towards him as well in most aspects.
I have perceived him as a person that is not unafraid to show their vulnerabilities. He talks about them openly and shares his true self, and that is something I admire and look up to in people.
I won't ever be a huge fan, because of the other aspects of his that I don't enjoy as much, but regardless of them, I definitely will always appreciate him for this part of his.
Agreed with all of this. It's weird though, because I've been watching more of his videos these past few days and I keep getting mixed feelings. On the one hand, I enjoy his honesty and appreciate him showing his vulnerabilities (and also just find him funny), but then I'll watch a video and get a weird vibe. Like, I'll feel like he's a genuine person, but then something will seem off and I'll wonder if it's all an act (obviously there's parts of him that's an act and he'll fully admit to that; I don't really know how to explain the weird vibe). I still like him overall and will keep watching his videos, this was just a little ramble.
alch
ar·tic·u·late

I relate to what people above have said.
From a deppy fan perspective, I can't really stand him, what with all of the trying to have the psychic twins say if they're gay or not and all the weird stuff he says about them.
Plus, there's a lot of stuff he does that I don't really like. (and his past, like blackface? really?)

Anyway, he'll kind of always be a guilty pleasure youtuber that I'll watch occasionally. Sometimes he's funny, but I'm not going to full-on stan him.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

So this is a bit of a thing rn that came to my attention on Twitter. Someone made a video that aims to expose Shane Dawson as a pedophile, using clips from his podcast and videos as proof. And idk about actual pedophile (bit of a reach maybe) but some of this shit is questionable and the talk of an apologist at best. His 'justification for pedophilia' by saying that it's comparable to a foot fetish, made me wanna throw up in my mouth.

Shane and supporters are defending, saying that things were taken out of context, that it's 'dark humor' and that the jokes are old.

The video (which does seem to have been made by a Stan Twitter teen who wants to get internet points):

I don't like Shane, his brand of humor has always been unfunny and gross to me (even after he supposedly saw the light and many people I consider smart and lovely started stanning him again) and this doesn't help things. Even if it's all a matter of ~context~ or jokes gone bad it's just so awful and gross. We know he's not above sexual harassment as discussed a while ago in the main thread where people talked about his comments towards Dan and I'm just so over this guy still having any sort of relevance on YouTube at all. I've really tried to see him do better but I can't.

Anyway, thoughts?
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alch
ar·tic·u·late

Catallena wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:46 pm
So this is a bit of a thing rn that came to my attention on Twitter. Someone made a video that aims to expose Shane Dawson as a pedophile, using clips from his podcast and videos as proof. And idk about actual pedophile (bit of a reach maybe) but some of this shit is questionable and the talk of an apologist at best. His 'justification for pedophilia' by saying that it's comparable to a foot fetish, made me wanna throw up in my mouth.

Shane and supporters are defending, saying that things were taken out of context, that it's 'dark humor' and that the jokes are old.

The video (which does seem to have been made by a Stan Twitter teen who wants to get internet points):

I don't like Shane, his brand of humor has always been unfunny and gross to me (even after he supposedly saw the light and many people I consider smart and lovely started stanning him again) and this doesn't help things. Even if it's all a matter of ~context~ or jokes gone bad it's just so awful and gross. We know he's not above sexual harassment as discussed a while ago in the main thread where people talked about his comments towards Dan and I'm just so over this guy still having any sort of relevance on YouTube at all. I've really tried to see him do better but I can't.

Anyway, thoughts?
Yeah, that's kind of gross.
Unless a lot of those were, like, cropped in the middle of a sentence or something that would change the meaning drastically, that's some pretty weird shit to say. Him defending pedophilia is honestly very strange, especially how he just doesn't seem to understand why it should be illegal.

Some stuff here seems like a reach, like the "ryland and lisa both have baby faces" but honestly a grown man should never say anything along the lines of wanting to do anything sexual to a fifteen-year-old. Edgy humor, whatever, this definitely crosses a line.
fancybum
senpai

(I haven't watched this or the expose video yet, I just saw that he posted this response)
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me