Phanfiction recs to warm us on lonely nights

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé
Pronouns: she/her

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:43 pm
MythicalPinkTrashCan wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:42 pm I think this thread is great for "I'm a functioning person who can use words and express myself in a way that is understandable and I really think other people will like this fic"

Where the currect fics is more where we do "AHHHHHHH THEY TOUCHED EACH OTHER! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"
Okay, gotcha! If the book club thread is only doing completed fics, then that makes sense! I do hope people continue to drop links in this thread, though.
Yes I agree! I need recs like a need air.

Speaking of recs:
Another WIP (i don't know what it is about the phandom that makes me trust WIP so much) I'm loving is Take Me By The Hand by philscurls. There are spoilers in the tags, but it's so good.
DatCog
blobfish

We definitely still need this thread for recommendations! It's one of my favourite places on IDB and has brought me much joy these past few months :D
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Yeah, my idea was that this would continue to be recommendations whereas the other would be for more interactive discussion. And extended squeeing. :tu:
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

swallowing the stars again by penceyrat (14.4k, vaguely psychic phil, teenage au)
Behind a Mask by mollieblack (30k, dan can turn into animals and keeps turning into them and cuddling phil, super cute au)
our bodies (they will collide) by loafer_btw (1.3k, smut, super hot smut)
Sea Glass by knlalla (55k, phil needs a temporary place to stay and ends up staying with shy artist!dan)
kavat
pastel persona

I mentioned this in the other thread but thought I'd give this rec here as well.

Sweet pea by botanistlester. It's a story about Phil being in an abusive relationship (not Dan) that's well written, has 20+ chapters out and updates Saturday's. Tw for emotional and physical abuse though.
Loafer
sofa crease

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:37 am swallowing the stars again by penceyrat (14.4k, vaguely psychic phil, teenage au)
Behind a Mask by mollieblack (30k, dan can turn into animals and keeps turning into them and cuddling phil, super cute au)
our bodies (they will collide) by loafer_btw (1.3k, smut, super hot smut)
Sea Glass by knlalla (55k, phil needs a temporary place to stay and ends up staying with shy artist!dan)
Eeeeep that’s me :thankyou: <3

Thanks for the recs! Time to read
kindofatrashcan
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: She/Her

Guys! the new one shot by iihappydaysii Spin.... https://archiveofourown.org/works/13328970 (D&P and Jimmy)

We need jesus.
DatCog
blobfish

kindofatrashcan wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:08 pm Guys! the new one shot by iihappydaysii Spin.... https://archiveofourown.org/works/13328970 (D&P and Jimmy)

We need jesus.
I've just read this one...wow :fan:

If you like your fics REALLY smutty but also really well written, this is one for you!
phillyforgot
butt chair

I thought I'd mention it here, especially considering that the forums inspired a lot of the charity work. I just read a fanfic that was about Phil being proud of his fans for donating. Personally I think it's pretty well-written :shrug: . Here's the link: https://archiveofourown.org/works/13344096
greenergrass
stress mushroom

Vérité La Joie 2014 by dizzy http://archiveofourown.org/works/13405965

Incredible. I'll never understand how you, @alittledizzy, can pack so much emotion and nuance into a fic while keeping it concise and engaging throughout. I loved the look into how Phil deals with things (I feel like you captured Phil's thoughts and emotions and reactions perfectly here), and how Dan deals with Phil in turn. I don't want to say much more so that I don't ruin every detail of the fic for those that haven't read yet, but it was so so good (I think my fav one-shot I've read in a few months).
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

just going to drop these two together here as they were done under the same prompt, which was this glorious Phil quote from the Getting Over It video: "I can get it up just as much as you can!"

also these are just some really, really well written fics, and i think what i like best about them (besides the writing of course) is that they have a nice subtle humorous undertone to them, especially in up up up for the good show

get me up get me out (of my mind) by dizzy

up up up for the good show by queerofcups
greenergrass
stress mushroom

obsessivelymoody wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:37 am just going to drop these two together here as they were done under the same prompt, which was this glorious Phil quote from the Getting Over It video: "I can get it up just as much as you can!"

also these are just some really, really well written fics, and i think what i like best about them (besides the writing of course) is that they have a nice subtle humorous undertone to them, especially in up up up for the good show

get me up get me out (of my mind) by dizzy

up up up for the good show by queerofcups
Just seconding that these were both so good
DatCog
blobfish

Just noticed that the Phanfiction Awards have been announced so thought I'd put them here for reference. A few familiar IDB names in the winners and most of the fics that I voted for have won/were top 3 :ribena: :ribena:

Have put under spoiler as the embedded posts are v big!
greenergrass
stress mushroom

DatCog wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:26 pm Just noticed that the Phanfiction Awards have been announced so thought I'd put them here for reference. A few familiar IDB names in the winners and most of the fics that I voted for have won/were top 3 :ribena: :ribena:

Have put under spoiler as the embedded posts are v big!
I don't get involved with fandom awards (like, not people in the fandom. I love awards about the fandom I'm in); there's nothing inherently wrong with them, and it's great if it makes me happy. I just want to stress that if you happen to be a writer and you weren't voted for or didn't win, don't let it get you down! I'm not a writer, but I'm an avid read and most of the fics that were my favourites are not included on this list (some of my favourites definitely are on the list, so I'm not trying to take anything away from the winners, because that's awesome and congrats!). My point is just that, if your fic didn't win any awards, that doesn't mean it wasn't an incredible fic!

(I hope this comment didn't seem too negative or anything because I don't mean it to be. I just don't want any writers to be discouraged if they didn't win an award, because awards are not always reflective of the best)
DatCog
blobfish

Okay I feel really crap now. I had no idea that the awards weren’t a good thing, being a relatively new fan of fanfics.

I used the award nominations to discover some really great new writing/writers and thought others might do the same. Sorry if I made anyone feel bad :( Wish my post could be deleted.
LadyLackless
cheeky #spon

Don’t feel crap! I don’t think the fanfic awards are a bad thing, and I discovered some amazing fics through them that I never would have read otherwise. The idea is to celebrate writing :)

I guess like any other awards, good films/shows/fics are always going to be overlooked and everyone has different tastes. It doesn’t mean that those who didn’t win bad writers and it doesn’t mean that the awards system is bad either. My faves didn’t win *shrug* and my absolute fave (The Birthday Sex by danfanciesphil) was not even eligible because it spanned more than a year so wasn’t ‘started’ in 2017. It’s still an incredible piece of work!

In case any writers are feeling down about it, I’m off to liberally sprinkle comments and kudos :sparkle: :sparkle:
DatCog
blobfish

LadyLackless wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:30 am Don’t feel crap! I don’t think the fanfic awards are a bad thing, and I discovered some amazing fics through them that I never would have read otherwise. The idea is to celebrate writing :)

I guess like any other awards, good films/shows/fics are always going to be overlooked and everyone has different tastes. It doesn’t mean that those who didn’t win bad writers and it doesn’t mean that the awards system is bad either. My faves didn’t win *shrug* and my absolute fave (The Birthday Sex by danfanciesphil) was not even eligible because it spanned more than a year so wasn’t ‘started’ in 2017. It’s still an incredible piece of work!

In case any writers are feeling down about it, I’m off to liberally sprinkle comments and kudos :sparkle: :sparkle:
Thanks, I feel a bit less crap now! I woke up and was feeling hormonal and extra sensitive: it's my birthday and I'm a year older and not overjoyed at the thought, to put it mildly :(

Birthday Sex is my fave too :love1: I've re-read it several times already, although I fully expect amaaf to replace it as my all-time fave when it gets completed.

I signed up to AO3 a few months ago so I could support writers by leaving kudos, bookmarking, subscribing (haven't quite felt brave enough for comments yet but I'll get there) so the very last thing I want to do is make any writer feel bad by mentioning these awards.
LadyLackless
cheeky #spon

DatCog wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:18 am
LadyLackless wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:30 am Don’t feel crap! I don’t think the fanfic awards are a bad thing, and I discovered some amazing fics through them that I never would have read otherwise. The idea is to celebrate writing :)

Thanks, I feel a bit less crap now! I woke up and was feeling hormonal and extra sensitive: it's my birthday and I'm a year older and not overjoyed at the thought, to put it mildly :(

Birthday Sex is my fave too :love1: I've re-read it several times already, although I fully expect amaaf to replace it as my all-time fave when it gets completed.

I signed up to AO3 a few months ago so I could support writers by leaving kudos, bookmarking, subscribing (haven't quite felt brave enough for comments yet but I'll get there) so the very last thing I want to do is make any writer feel bad by mentioning these awards.
Happy Birthday! :cakescene: Don’t stress about being a year older - just think, the alternative would be so much worse! That’s how I look at it anyway.... :elderly Phangirl:

Birthday Sex was an incredible read and I’m glad to have someone to flail at about it :) Both the characters go on such an excruciating arc and the angst payoff is SO GOOD!! Agreed on amaaf tho (it’s tied with DTU, my other fave) - have you been on danfanciesphil’s tumblr? There are a few deleted scenes from The Birthday Sex which I was happy to discover yesterday
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Happy birthday, @DatCog! I understand what a drag birthdays can be as you get older. But definitely don't feel bad about promoting the phanfic awards! The nominations especially really are a great way to get pointed towards fics you might not have ever seen otherwise. It's true that authors who don't win can feel down sometimes, but honestly it's just all the more reason to send your faves happy messages to let them know you love their fic.

And a rec: soothe away your worries by symmetricdnp - delicious well written smut!
greenergrass
stress mushroom

DatCog wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:57 am Okay I feel really crap now. I had no idea that the awards weren’t a good thing, being a relatively new fan of fanfics.

I used the award nominations to discover some really great new writing/writers and thought others might do the same. Sorry if I made anyone feel bad :( Wish my post could be deleted.
I'm so sorry, that wasn't my intention! I didn't mean the awards are a bad thing, or that it was a bad thing for you to promote them here! I think it's great that a fandom can get together and encourage writers and praise them for a job well done. Like i said before, there's nothing actually wrong with it. The point of my post was just to let other writers know that they shouldn't feel down at all if they weren't nominated or didn't win. I'm sorry it came across the wrong way!
sonicgreen
woodland creature

Thank you for the rec @dizzy, I loved “soothe away your worries”. I just got my AO3 account activated (after 5 years i just now took the time to apply for an account lol) I wanted to know if there was a way to follow/bookmark specific authors? I usually read fics by catching up on writers I like. Thanks
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

sonicgreen wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:30 pm Thank you for the rec @dizzy, I loved “soothe away your worries”. I just got my AO3 account activated (after 5 years i just now took the time to apply for an account lol) I wanted to know if there was a way to follow/bookmark specific authors? I usually read fics by catching up on writers I like. Thanks
if you go on the author's profile there should be a button in the top right corner that says "subscribe" which means that any time they update you'll get an email. The same thing applies to specific works you want to follow, and the subscribe button is also on the top right when you click on the fic. hope this helps!
sonicgreen
woodland creature

obsessivelymoody wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:55 pm
sonicgreen wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:30 pm Thank you for the rec @dizzy, I loved “soothe away your worries”. I just got my AO3 account activated (after 5 years i just now took the time to apply for an account lol) I wanted to know if there was a way to follow/bookmark specific authors? I usually read fics by catching up on writers I like. Thanks
if you go on the author's profile there should be a button in the top right corner that says "subscribe" which means that any time they update you'll get an email. The same thing applies to specific works you want to follow, and the subscribe button is also on the top right when you click on the fic. hope this helps!
Yes thats exactly what I was looking for! Thanks <3
DatCog
blobfish

whatdoiknow wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:44 pm
I'm so sorry, that wasn't my intention! I didn't mean the awards are a bad thing, or that it was a bad thing for you to promote them here! I think it's great that a fandom can get together and encourage writers and praise them for a job well done. Like i said before, there's nothing actually wrong with it. The point of my post was just to let other writers know that they shouldn't feel down at all if they weren't nominated or didn't win. I'm sorry it came across the wrong way!
No, don't worry, I just woke up in a bit of a fragile mood and took it the wrong way! I need to learn to wait until I've had my first coffee before posting :oops: :D

Thank you @alittledizzy and @LadyLackless for your birthday greetings! Going to check out 'soothe away your worries' as I'm definitely in the mood for some delicious well written smut :ribena:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

been talking about the way things change by commonemergency - fantastic fic about dan and phil moving into their london place in 2012. :happytears: