Dan & Phil Part 64: Poptropica 2: Dragon #SPON

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

That was a good video! I feel like we got to learn more about Phil a little bit.

Edit: why is this the top of the page
Last edited by pastelspectre on Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:transheart:
000dia000
emo goose

I loved that video, I thought that it was Phil's way of discussing more serious things and life things without it being too direct. He brought up the uncertainty of YouTube as a career path and even gave a little sprinkle of death by nuclear holocaust, a little spillover from Dan. I can't believe that he segued into a tour spon mid video, he really has no shame. I especially loved, "Imagine if I dropped death filming this video...lol, that would be a bant." Also, how dare he show prime content from 2008? Does he not show us these videos from prior 2009 because they hold too much power, he knows he would kill us all?? It's particularly interesting how he opened up about feeling insecure about going bald. It's from that kind of insecurity about baldness, death, wanting a rippling six-pack etc, that does make me wonder why he didn't bring up anything to do with dating. I guess it goes in with their selective emission of dating from their lives *wink wink* so there's not much mystery there. Who knows if the plushies behind him is a nod to that, or just him and his shameless spon. With Phil, it's a possibility of both.

It's kind of interesting to consider his insecurities though, and what of those he felt comfortable enough to email to himself in the future. I don't think it's unlikely that past Phil wouldn't talk about dating when in his public videos on his channel he was fucking thirsty and wanted everyone to know.
malday wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:45 pm I also thought he left out parts out of his letter, and i found it strange he didn't elaborate on why he wanted to live in New York in 2008? Was that the year he went to NY and hung out with some American youtubers?
How about that girl Alyssa lol
:cactus:
KatjaZoe
sad dimple

Aw I really liked the video, fetus!Phil is my fav. It's kind of strange to me, because around the time that he wrote this letter was when I first started watching him. It's crazy that that was 10 years ago (although there were quite a few years between then and now that i didn't keep up with watching). I felt kinda special when he said thank you to those of us that have been subscribed to him since back then <3

In regards to Phil saying he didn't even know who Dan was at that point. Kind of funny to think that its likely that Dan knew who he was,though -- Dan watched his vids for a while before they actually became friends right? Its kind of blowing my mind that Dan and I used to both just be fans of Phil at the same time so long ago, and how far they've come to where they are now. Should have been me tbh.

PS does anyone have any idea what the poster/painting behind him is? Looks like it says something about "is on fire"?
"He's the guy with his flesh on show. What a hoe.
That's. Our. Dan."
:dogue: :dogue: :dogue:
hello9217
flower crown
Pronouns: she/her

KatjaZoe wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:45 pm
PS does anyone have any idea what the poster/painting behind him is? Looks like it says something about "is on fire"?
I'm assuming you mean this one:
It was made by their friend, Wirrow
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

Well I guess I can hold off on my decision to sue Phil for not doing a liveshow, because that was such a lovely video! He came across so likeable - I felt like he was a bit more open and opinionated than he has been in the past. I loved his references to the shithouse state of the world in 2018, saying we've come close to WWIII and that he wouldn't be surprised if nuclear war is coming for us, as I feel like that's something he probably wouldn't have brought up in the past. It's mildly political, which is cool to see from Phil. I also laughed when he said that youtube has become a "beast", as I felt like that was him giving a (vague) opinion about the current state of youtube.

And I also really appreciated him getting introspective about how his confidence has grown since 2008, and how he used to be too shy/insecure to go to parties or take opportunities that scared him. I found that really comforting, as I am the same way and it's nice to see an example of someone who worked through their issues and managed to become more confident despite confidence not coming naturally to them :')

Like others have said, I feel it's likely that Phil did have something related to romance in the letter, but I'm not surprised that he didn't include it, not only because I'm someone who believes he is in a relationship with Dan, but also because his dating life has been off the cards in videos/liveshows for years now.

Also regarding Phil of the past questioning whether he'd still be living at home in ten years time, I actually really relate to that. I'm the same age now as Phil was in 2008, I'm finishing up my degree and tbh it's so difficult to see where exactly my life will lead me. Given Phil's uncertainty regarding his future career, it's likely he had no idea how he was going to earn a steady income. He's inferred that he was insecure and shy, and didn't often step out of his comfort zone, and when you're in that sort of headspace at that particular time in your life it's easy to doubt yourself, and to struggle to imagine a successful future. Or maybe I'm just projecting lmao.

Regarding liveshows, at this stage it's difficult to tell for sure whether this signals a definite end to them. I think it's strange that Phil hasn't said anything at all about it, and that he didn't indicate in his last liveshow of 2017 that he was going to stop or cut down. It's definitely possible that he's just super busy and hasn't felt like doing them at the moment, as I'm someone who actually didn't perceive him to be disinterested in live shows when he was doing them consistently. But I do wish he'd say something about it, it's frustrating getting my hopes up each week only to ultimately be disappointed.
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

I hate to double post, but this is the domestic update I've been craving :')
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Oh fuck off Dan I didn't need nor ask for those mental images you just put in my head. Ughh it's so cute, the idea of them decompressing at the end of a day (the... very very end, isn't it like one or two am there?) starting a new tv show. The sheer amount of series they get through watching in a year means that they must really set time aside at night to watch at least a couple episodes of something every night, or close to every night. That dedication, that sheer enjoyment? Of spending time together and having shared viewing experiences together?

(I could just blame Phil's video for putting me in an emotional frame of mind, but I'll still stick with it being Dan's fault.)
whelpkeeper
sad dimple
Pronouns: they/their

Loved this, everything about it! Especially the sweater, :xoxo: super cute. And the shameless spon, even Capita£ester's New Year Resolutions are spon for TIIT :rofl: I'm such a huge fan of https://www.futureme.org I've sent letters for my birthdays and stuff and they're always so interesting to read, so it's cool to see Phil's done one of those "letter to the future" things too!

I'm 100% sure there are parts of the letter he omitted, I know that when I write letters to myself they're more personal so I'll bet anything there's things Phil cut- give me an hour to examine the picture @rizzo posted, I'm about to investigate :sherlock:
The air soft as that of Seville in April,
and so fragrant that it was delicious to breathe it.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I finally feel like the year has officially started because of this video. :love2: It was so good and I enjoyed every second of it. And I'm not even saying that just because they've been boring lately and I was craving something. I do feel like the letter was edited (no way Control Freak Nr. 1 would film a video without having his shit planned out) but it was quality entertainment either way.

Commentary:
- The title is kinda in a I Did This Thing format and for some reason that's interesting to me.
- HE LOOKS SO GOOD IN BLACK!! My love for him in dark colors is well documented on here by now but I still gotta mention it. :loveeyes:
- 2008 was a simpler time where we all used xD instead of emoji and tbh I kinda miss it.
- Phil checks his pulse and is still alive even though his lighting suggests otherwise (though I just found out that he looks a lot less dead on my phone than he does on my laptop).
- Good to know Phil's shit eating habits are consistent, he just moved on from crisps to Haribo.
- 2019 IS GONNA COME THROUGH FOR US AND GET RID OF THE EMO HAIR. Let's just skip 2018 tbh.
- Do we still do conspiracy theories about driving mentions on here or has that ship sailed?
- Is there a word for like... a weaboo but for the USA? That's what Phil was.
- Titty Tour #spon
- lmao at "It's turning into a monster" about YouTube. :rofl:
- Aww 50,000 subs. How pure.
- Interesting little story about how he had to choose between YouTube and an internship at a video editing company.
- "Who knows what that other Phil would've been in that alternate universe?" A lot less rich probably.
- Damn that's almost political commentary right there. I enjoyed that, more of acknowledging the world around him in 2018 plz!
- Using that fireworks effect doesn't convince me you truly use that Masters sweetie.
- I love Phil for using that 2012 pic of Dani Snot On Fire. I'm sure Dan was delighted when he saw it. :thumb:
- Phil would eat Tide Pods if they tasted like Haribo lbr.
- Oh look #spon

For an AmazingPhil video, this felt oddly personal and real. Hope we keep that for the rest the year. :D

Bless Dan for being a dear and granting us some domestic bliss after some really boring tweeting for the past week.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
karma_yeah
philussy

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:02 am Ughh it's so cute, the idea of them decompressing at the end of a day . . . That dedication, that sheer enjoyment? Of spending time together and having shared viewing experiences together?
:rofl: I LOVED Dan's tweet! This really hit home with me for some reason tonight. Definitely an old married couple! <3

I thought Phil looked particularly beautiful. The lighting really brought out his eyes (film there ALWAYS Phil!) The :deppy: plushies in the background were adorable.

I was impressed with capitalLester's ability to literally spon everything D&P. Way to go :thumb:
What goes around, comes around Image
autumnhearth
senpai

rizzo wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:40 pm Alright, IDB. Time to whip out the magnifying glasses.

"If you don't have some kind of pet right now, I'm disowning(?) you" ????
The one thing I noticed is that ‘New York’ appears to only have one question mark after it. Not seven. But I would agree that this is a simplified (kind of not really script) version of the actual email.

I enjoyed the first two seasons of The Crown, I hope they do too. :ribena:
whelpkeeper
sad dimple
Pronouns: they/their

whelpkeeper wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:10 am give me an hour to examine the picture @rizzo posted, I'm about to investigate :sherlock:
I'm back already! I think I've mostly got it:

Hey future Phil ^______^

hope life is good and you are healthy and not dead
if you're still eating frazzled for 3 meals a day today's the day u need to STOP
Do u still have a full head of hair? sorry if u went bald lol
Some things I hope you have in the future:
A FLYING CAR
No wires. Wires are the worst Phil.
A rippling 6 pack
Where do you live? Hopefully in a Manchester apartment. Or maybe New York???????
Did you make any New Year's Resolutions! Mine this year are to be a bit more confident & put myself out there more.
I wonder if you're still doing that YouTube thing? Will YouTube still exist in 2018? Did you ever get 50,000 subs?
Did you get a job in the film industry? Maybe ul edit Titanic 2!
Did WW3 happen yet? Hopefully you're not reading this in a nuclear wasteland
If you're still at home then say hi to the parents. Also hi to the grandparents. Call grandma more!
Hopefully you graduated from uni. Do you ever use your degree in English Language?
Are you still in touch with your friends from home and uni and did you lose lion yet?
Anyway hope 2018 is treating you well and the world isn't too messed up
(differences marked in RED)

Hey future Phil ^______^

hope life is good and you are healthy and not dead
if you're still eating frazzled for 3 meals a day today's the day u need to STOP
Do u still have a full head of hair? sorry if u went bald lol
Some things I hope you have in the future:
A FLYING CAR
No wires. Wires are the worst Phil.
A rippling 6 pack
Where do you live? Hopefully in a Manchester apartment. Or maybe New York???????
Did you make any New Year's Resolutions! Mine this year are to be a bit more confident & put myself out there more.
I wonder if you're still doing that YouTube thing? Will YouTube still exist in 2018? Did you ever get 50,000 subs? Might have got a few more than that.
Did you get a job in the film industry? Maybe ul edit Titanic 2! hopefully there is no Titanic 2
Did WW3 happen yet? Hopefully you're not reading this in a nuclear wasteland
If you're still at home then say hi to the parents. Also hi to the grandparents. you should call grandma more!
Hopefully you graduated from uni. Do you ever use your degree in English Language?
if you don't have some kind of pet right now I'm disowning you. ________ (three words I can't make out still? The first one may be "don't")
Are you still in touch with your friends from home and uni and did you lose lion yet?
Anyway hope 2018 is treating you well and the world isn't too messed up
SEE YOU IN THE FUTURE! ME!
I did this instead of school work so I hope I got this all right!
The air soft as that of Seville in April,
and so fragrant that it was delicious to breathe it.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Looking at the comparisons makes me realize he could easily have just had Dan edit it for him, if he really did want to make sure he was reacting without spoilers? Not that I think Phil is beyond just lying about it. But Dan would have known right off what to omit to make it video-safe.
alch
ar·tic·u·late

Honestly futureme should sponsor him for this one. He's doing some good advertisement. Unless this was an ad and he's being more subtle about it.
alittledizzy wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:19 am Looking at the comparisons makes me realize he could easily have just had Dan edit it for him, if he really did want to make sure he was reacting without spoilers? Not that I think Phil is beyond just lying about it. But Dan would have known right off what to omit to make it video-safe.
Honestly, that's perfectly possible but I doubt Phil is going to go through the trouble of having Dan edit it instead of just acting like he's never seen it before. It's an easy white lie. Not that the amazingphil channel isn't known for its incredible integrity.
sonicgreen
woodland creature

alch wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:52 am Honestly futureme should sponsor him for this one. He's doing some good advertisement. Unless this was an ad and he's being more subtle about it.
Ha didn’t even think about futureme getting some visits today, I shamelessly immediately visited the website and did one myself. Honestly should have been sponsored. Absolutely wasn’t though or he would have had to write #AD everywhere. Loved the video though, very introspective. He’s such a topical guy that I loved how natural (as edited as it was of course) it felt. I know im just repeating everyones opinions but he looked especially lovely today, loving the dark sweater.
DatCog
blobfish

Just saw this on Twitter...interesting that Radio 1 are hiring YouTubers again!
onceinaugust
rainbow nerd

DatCog wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:20 pm Just saw this on Twitter...interesting that Radio 1 are hiring YouTubers again!
I wonder if that's only because they're doing it in a podcast format (and airing it at 3am some days), so if for some reason they do need to go on a world tour (like D+P) they could just record it ahead of time.
"You loved it, you want to do it more."
"Alright"
fancybum
senpai

LtrllySusan wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:06 pm Welp I typed out some thoughts and pressed submit and then I saw all the recent posts that were made while I was typing and everyone seems to love the video so I'll keep my thoughts to myself and watch it again tomorrow when I'm hopefully in a better mood.
Hey it’s the next day, come shit on his video. Or leave balanced constructive criticism, whatever. I’m experiencing this video only through reactions and I want some salt.

It’s cool all our expectations are so low, but man he is not off the hook as far as I’m concerned. It’s really not that difficult to say ‘I’ve been busy, here’s a vid instead of our still-assumed-to-be-scheduled-bc-i-haven’t-said-fuck-all-to-the-contrary-yet Thursday liveshow’. You’re busy? Fucking say that. It’s the ONE thing they do with any semblance of a schedule and therefore the ONE thing they need to explain the absence of. Dan could be fucking bothered to mention it in advance. DAN. First week of Jan? Still on holiday? Fine. Second week? Sick? Fair. Third week? Hm idk are you still sick? Are you not? Either way, time to fucking say something. Fourth week? Fuck you dude.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

fancybum wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:35 pm
LtrllySusan wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:06 pm Welp I typed out some thoughts and pressed submit and then I saw all the recent posts that were made while I was typing and everyone seems to love the video so I'll keep my thoughts to myself and watch it again tomorrow when I'm hopefully in a better mood.
Hey it’s the next day, come shit on his video. Or leave balanced constructive criticism, whatever. I’m experiencing this video only through reactions and I want some salt.

It’s cool all our expectations are so low, but man he is not off the hook as far as I’m concerned. It’s really not that difficult to say ‘I’ve been busy, here’s a vid instead of our still-assumed-to-be-scheduled-bc-i-haven’t-said-fuck-all-to-the-contrary-yet Thursday liveshow’. You’re busy? Fucking say that. It’s the ONE thing they do with any semblance of a schedule and therefore the ONE thing they need to explain the absence of. Dan could be fucking bothered to mention it in advance. DAN. First week of Jan? Still on holiday? Fine. Second week? Sick? Fair. Third week? Hm idk are you still sick? Are you not? Either way, time to fucking say something. Fourth week? Fuck you dude.
I actually loved the video a lot, but I'm also okay with some salt and also with critique on the video if people have it. I miss liveshows, and I wish he'd tell us when/why we're not having them. (I guess technically Dan also didn't give us any kind of 'why' but we at least understand he's not doing them unless he feels like it from now on.)
fancybum
senpai

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:42 pm I actually loved the video a lot, but I'm also okay with some salt and also with critique on the video if people have it. I miss liveshows, and I wish he'd tell us when/why we're not having them. (I guess technically Dan also didn't give us any kind of 'why' but we at least understand he's not doing them unless he feels like it from now on.)
The main thing pissing me off is he’s clearly choosing to ignore it. He had no problem shooting down the expectation of a ditl last year (‘lolwut we never said we were doing one did we?’) and that’s not even a scheduled thing. Every week he’s got people @ing him about whether there’s a liveshow and he says nothing. When he moved them to Thursdays he told us beforehand and explained why. When they put up a vid in lieu of a liveshow, they mention the lack of liveshow. Because it’s a scheduled thing and we all know it. Dan saying he’s cutting back his live shows and taking them off-schedule does not apply to Phil, Phil needs to fucking say something for himself if that’s his plan too. Or say he’s taking Jan off because the pay is too low to bother for his birthday. Something.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Well you asked for it so here goes nothing.

I know you should generally give people the benefit of the doubt, but with D&P and their history of... altering the truth (ranging from mutual friend lie to Phil's Sleepless "Night" confirmed to not be recorded at night), I am not sure if the letter is legit. I mean there is a good chance that it is, but it's also such an easy and quick thing to fake. Why would you ask your future self so many questions? Wouldn't you just write about how your live is at the moment and then reflect on that 10 years later? It just seems so convenient, exactly one page long, great segue to spon the tour.

More salt? I just feel like Phil sounds so fake when he puts on that intense, chirpy presenter voice. Maybe it's just a bit too much for my taste. I nope out of YouTube videos way too often when the person starts speaking. "Hey guys OMG I am so excited to be making this video" - no thanks.

I would just love more real content. Something that isn't filtered through script version 3 and version final and version final final.docx. D&P content is a proven recipe, but sometimes I'd just like some fresh air. Everything is so cleanly framed and set up. We can basically call all bullet points on Dan's liveshow agenda because how predictable things are.

And hey, since I don't want to be complaining without saying things I'd rather hear about:
I really wonder how much Phil learned in his postgrad studies. His chroma-keyed firework effects and whatever fun rotating zooms they are doing in the gaming videos is really basic beginner stuff. I wonder how good he actually is. I'm thinking like Markiplier's and JSE's bigger projects (e.g. Who Killed Markiplier and all the Antisepticeye stuff). I know they always want to be #relatable and #quirky/#edgy respectively but man I would love some complicated insight. Or to speak in their language: Show me your brainussy, Phil.

Don't blame me guys, blame fancybum, they asked for it :backawayslowly:
fancybum
senpai

LtrllySusan wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:59 pm
Well you asked for it so here goes nothing.

I know you should generally give people the benefit of the doubt, but with D&P and their history of... altering the truth (ranging from mutual friend lie to Phil's Sleepless "Night" confirmed to not be recorded at night), I am not sure if the letter is legit. I mean there is a good chance that it is, but it's also such an easy and quick thing to fake. Why would you ask your future self so many questions? Wouldn't you just write about how your live is at the moment and then reflect on that 10 years later? It just seems so convenient, exactly one page long, great segue to spon the tour.

More salt? I just feel like Phil sounds so fake when he puts on that intense, chirpy presenter voice. Maybe it's just a bit too much for my taste. I nope out of YouTube videos way too often when the person starts speaking. "Hey guys OMG I am so excited to be making this video" - no thanks.

I would just love more real content. Something that isn't filtered through script version 3 and version final and version final final.docx. D&P content is a proven recipe, but sometimes I'd just like some fresh air. Everything is so cleanly framed and set up. We can basically call all bullet points on Dan's liveshow agenda because how predictable things are.

And hey, since I don't want to be complaining without saying things I'd rather hear about:
I really wonder how much Phil learned in his postgrad studies. His chroma-keyed firework effects and whatever fun rotating zooms they are doing in the gaming videos is really basic beginner stuff. I wonder how good he actually is. I'm thinking like Markiplier's and JSE's bigger projects (e.g. Who Killed Markiplier and all the Antisepticeye stuff). I know they always want to be #relatable and #quirky/#edgy respectively but man I would love some complicated insight. Or to speak in their language: Show me your brainussy, Phil.

Don't blame me guys, blame fancybum, they asked for it :backawayslowly:
That was beautiful, thank you :love2: And uh
Show me your brainussy, Phil.
is the next thread title in my heart.

Honestly, without the liveshows (semi-)humanizing them, Phil in particular, I'm not quite sure what I'd think of their (non-gaming) content on its own merit. I tend to enjoy their work because I can watch their main channel content with a fuller concept of who they are as people from their non-main channel content and so a two-dimensional video can feel like it's more than that when informed by what feels like an almost-three-dimensional idea of who they actually are (how much that approaches the actual reality of them isn't part of this convo lol). If it was all main performance and no backstage peeks (LIVESHOWS PHIL), I don't think I'd enjoy it nearly as much, because AP is a bit much on his own and I'm feeling much less forgiving of it atm.
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

I am always irrationally happy to see Lion make an appearance these days. :lion: Loved the video, even if it seems like maybe that wasn't the full letter.
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

I rewatched it a few times and I find it really calming and cheerful.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
hello9217
flower crown

I wonder how many people wrote a letter to their future selves after this video. I know I surely did, can’t wait to get mine in 5 years. I think the reason I loved the video so much is because it gave me a little hope. I’m the same age now as Phil was when he wrote that later, 20 about to be 21, and I feel so lost rn. Like I don’t know what I’m going to do and am just floating around at university. Phil also felt that way and look where he is now. Super successful, living in a nice flat in London, and about to go on a second world tour. That’s why this video made me quite emotional.