Dan & Phil Part 64: Poptropica 2: Dragon #SPON

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

LtrllySusan wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:59 pmWell you asked for it so here goes nothing.

I know you should generally give people the benefit of the doubt, but with D&P and their history of... altering the truth (ranging from mutual friend lie to Phil's Sleepless "Night" confirmed to not be recorded at night), I am not sure if the letter is legit. I mean there is a good chance that it is, but it's also such an easy and quick thing to fake. Why would you ask your future self so many questions? Wouldn't you just write about how your live is at the moment and then reflect on that 10 years later? It just seems so convenient, exactly one page long, great segue to spon the tour.
This is definitely valid. We all know Phil isn't above faking a concept for a video, thanks to - as you said - the sleepless night. I think I find it easy to believe he really did send a letter, because those websites were super popular back in the early to mid 00s. I remember sending multiple emails to my future self over the years (unfortunately most bound to email accounts don't exist anymore, oops) and most of them were just me kind of projecting what I wanted in my future more than talking about my life then. But I 100% believe that it was edited to make a smooth video recording process, I think a realistic Phil letter would have mentioned specific people and would have asked about his love life.

But honestly... even if he made it up entirely, it's still a sweet video to me. The idea that Phil wanted to make a video reflecting on his different his life is now as opposed to in 2008 is just inherently something that appeals to me no matter the set up.
whelpkeeper
sad dimple
Pronouns: they/their

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:21 pm
LtrllySusan wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:59 pmWell you asked for it so here goes nothing.

I know you should generally give people the benefit of the doubt, but with D&P and their history of... altering the truth (ranging from mutual friend lie to Phil's Sleepless "Night" confirmed to not be recorded at night), I am not sure if the letter is legit. I mean there is a good chance that it is, but it's also such an easy and quick thing to fake. Why would you ask your future self so many questions? Wouldn't you just write about how your live is at the moment and then reflect on that 10 years later? It just seems so convenient, exactly one page long, great segue to spon the tour.
This is definitely valid. We all know Phil isn't above faking a concept for a video, thanks to - as you said - the sleepless night. I think I find it easy to believe he really did send a letter, because those websites were super popular back in the early to mid 00s. I remember sending multiple emails to my future self over the years (unfortunately most bound to email accounts don't exist anymore, oops) and most of them were just me kind of projecting what I wanted in my future more than talking about my life then. But I 100% believe that it was edited to make a smooth video recording process, I think a realistic Phil letter would have mentioned specific people and would have asked about his love life.

But honestly... even if he made it up entirely, it's still a sweet video to me. The idea that Phil wanted to make a video reflecting on his different his life is now as opposed to in 2008 is just inherently something that appeals to me no matter the set up.
I definitely agree there's a chance this isn't real- but just to put this out here, when I write letters through FutureMe I ask questions, so that way when I read the letter years in the future I remember what kind of questions I had and what things were still unknown to me. Like for example, I'll ask if I finally watched such-and-such movie that's coming out in a year, and then I reflect on how crazy it is that the movie wasn't even out yet at the time of writing the letter.

That said, the lack of anything truly that personal in the letter might be a sign that it's not genuinely from 2008- not necessarily a bad thing, since I don't always mind as much if a video's premise isn't genuine as long as Phil himself is, you know? He was a little robo-Phil at times, esp. at the spon, but other than that I liked the idea of a video reflecting on how Phil's life has changed over the past decade: what a nostalgic feeling!
The air soft as that of Seville in April,
and so fragrant that it was delicious to breathe it.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I haven't commented on the video but I really enjoyed it. I've been missing Phil so I'm glad we got something to tide us over. I respect people's views on this video and Phil's content in particular but personally I have never went into an AmazingPhil video expecting anything but a mindless, good time.
I don't really have an opinion on the legitimacy of the letter but if it was fake then I just view it as a conversational construct - something to give him a way to tell anecdotes. He did give us opinions, and yes they were tiny, but that is progress for an AP video so I will give him points for that.

As for live shows - I desperately want one but this is the first week he's really left us hanging. I'll give him a pass until the end of January for multiple reasons - his birthday, the tour, because I'm still riding high on how nice his new jumper is...and then if he doesn't say something I'll be disappointed.
phillyforgot
butt chair

I really enjoyed the latest AmazingPhil video. It was interesting to hear more from 2008!Phil, even if I didn't really watch him at that time. It made me smile several times. I'm pretty sure Phil from 2008 would love to hear how well he's doing now (or not, considering he's living in London).

The video actually inspired me to find the site he's used and to write an email to myself in five years. The good old thing will probably be pretty interesting to read in the future.
autumnhearth
senpai

So umm wild theory that I am pretty sure is not true, but what the heck it’s fun, so why not share?

Inspired by Phil’s latest food tweet:
What if the boys are going to New York City for Phil’s birthday?

Cronuts are a copyrighted to New York Pastry Chef Dominique Ansel, who... oh... he opened a bakery in London...

http://dominiqueansellondon.com/shop/january-cronut/

You better freaking pre-order that Howell! (Phil’s down with banana’s now right?)

My other supporting evidence was the New York mention in Phil’s video with extra question marks and “rAnDoM!” video edit. And that he felt comfortable saying they would be seeing it next week on social media.
But I mean if cronut’s are just available in London now then I think I can take my :tinfoil: off.

Maybe a New York *themed* birthday in London, for everyone’s favorite Ameriphile with the most awful American accent.

Hey surprise gaming video! (That was weird, it disappeared then reappeared.)
Last edited by autumnhearth on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kavat
pastel persona

fancybum wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:14 pm Honestly, without the liveshows (semi-)humanizing them, Phil in particular, I'm not quite sure what I'd think of their (non-gaming) content on its own merit. I tend to enjoy their work because I can watch their main channel content with a fuller concept of who they are as people from their non-main channel content and so a two-dimensional video can feel like it's more than that when informed by what feels like an almost-three-dimensional idea of who they actually are (how much that approaches the actual reality of them isn't part of this convo lol). If it was all main performance and no backstage peeks (LIVESHOWS PHIL), I don't think I'd enjoy it nearly as much, because AP is a bit much on his own and I'm feeling much less forgiving of it atm.
I agree on this. I was subscribed to them for almost a year, dinof and AP, before even considering myself a fan. I was just a casual watcher who didn't care that much (the first video to turn up in my sub box was the tabinof announcement. I didn't understand at all what that was about). I thought Dan was kinda funny but Phil way too performy, but I understood that they came as a set and that you should follow them both. But as soon as I watched a couple of gaming videos and a live show or two I was hooked. Suddenly they felt like people and not just like performers or characters. AP is still my least favorite type of content (which shows in the way this new video was very meh for me, I won't rewatch) while dapg and live shows are much more my taste.

I wish they would let loose a little bit more on their main channels. They have to some extent, but sometimes it feels like dinof and live show Dan are two completely different people, as are AP and gaming Phil. A little bit peeked through in this video with Phil almost making political commentary but I just wished he would show more.

Sorry for being negative, Just as I type this we got a new gaming vid so I'll shut up now :)
onceinaugust
rainbow nerd

Gotta get that forever home! :lol:
"You loved it, you want to do it more."
"Alright"
hello9217
flower crown

Yep sorry but I can't watch that video. I have to see what you guys say first but that spon seems so off for them. I just can't.
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

hello9217 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:07 pm Yep sorry but I can't watch that video. I have to see what you guys say first but that spon seems so off for them. I just can't.
Actually that came off better than their usual ads. I enjoyed it and laughed out loud a few times. I don't know I just found it really soft. Worth a watch and I might even rewatch.

Also old photo of Phil!
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
phillyforgot
butt chair

That old Phil photo was iconic to say the least. I immediately thought of Dan when I saw the 'dp' design. We're getting to see more and more of Phil's youth somehow.

Also, I thought it was interesting to see them trying to be fashionable, especially Phil with the skeleton at the end (reminded me of the demon hugging him).
Amiaw
interactive introvert

It was really similar to pastel edits and some of their other spons. I think they know it's ridiculous but they went for it.

also Phil did say he IS fashion - he is really living up that title
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

hello9217 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:07 pm Yep sorry but I can't watch that video. I have to see what you guys say first but that spon seems so off for them. I just can't.
It didn’t feel like most ads they’ve done if I’m honest? I left the video barely understand how the game works other than making sure it meets certain fashion qualities and you battle another person to get higher points?? The game itself reminds me of Style Savvy for the Nintendo DS mixed with the Pokemon battling system? For an ad, they barely explained how the game worked and mostly just played the game which made it enjoyable.
Also if I’m being honest, their ads videos haven’t been that bad lately? Ads like the dragon city ones were horrible because they clearly didn’t like the games but with newer ad videos, they seem to enjoy it.
Overall though, good video and good bants! :thumb:
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr
Kimship
glabella

I enjoyed the video! But I've also just gotten into Love Nikki in the past few weeks, so I might be biased. I'm only up to stage 4, so it was nice to get a preview of some upcoming battles.
000dia000
emo goose

I won't build up the video, it looks just like what you'd expect, but unlike other spon games that are just cartoony apps with cluttered screens, at least there's something kind of appealing about dressing up. I actually enjoyed this video more than some video game attempts tbh. Dan will most likely be a goth if he was a girl. Phil made a weird innuendo @3.24 where he said the girl looks like she's being born....if you look at the dress, you'll understand why that's gross :dead2: Phil's first outfit was gross, Dan's outfit was great until he added too much, and their third outfit was again, gross. They have no taste. At least I know they might actually play this game in their spare time, it looks strangely addictive.
:cactus:
hello9217
flower crown

Thanks for letting me know. :D I was just worried that it would be a repeat of poptropica in that I played games like this when I was 10 so maybe deppy shouldn't be playing these games now. I guess just based on the description "watch dan and I dress up anime girls" that it would come out as kind of a weird video. I'll try and watch it later though when I have more reliable wifi.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Huh, okay. I went in with rock bottom expectations but that... wasn't bad. It's essentially a game that makes character creation and design the entirety of the game. You can tell they genuinely get into designing/creating characters, so while the aesthetic of the game isn't something I see them voluntarily playing the actual thing they spent most of the video doing was kind of natural to them. I like Phil's inclination to go super silly head to head with Dan's desire to actually win.

Not gonna say it's something that's on my rewatch list, but also worth watching once. (And I agree with Dia, it looks strangely addictive and Dan particularly I can imagine getting super into picking out outfits and accessories to fit certain moods/themes.)
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

They were so into that, it was great. I question a lot of their choices, but they really went for it and I downloaded the game through their link and everything. I don’t know that I’ll get hooked on it, but I’m a sucker for the beautiful digitally-painted clothes. As soon as Phil put a gold thingy in the girl’s arms while she was wearing a silver/white dress I rolled my eyes, but the socks really did it. And the not-very-elegant shoes.

I loved Dan’s outfit until it got overdone with the last few accessories, but I loved seeing him explore all the black and gothy stuff, and his excitement over the scythe (how is he not a necromancer in guild wars?) That job interview dress was hilarious too, I’d have gone with that first black one that they slated.
AroboticPhil
sad dimple
Pronouns: she

what i take out from this video:
- phil is a furry confirmed (again), his fursona is 100% some kind of feline
- is dan slowly starting to bring back the "this guy" ?
- goth!dan and phil in a jellyfish dress are the new pastel and punk
- the lack of personal space is stronger than ever
- recurring theme : dan likes to take things seriously and phil always ruins them halfway through by trying to be funny
conclusion : they were surprisingly into it and it was fun like nothing woah but very cute and watchable

Also yesterday's tweet from Dan was the cutest :love2: I love how they probably spend even more time each day together because they're rehearsing the tour now and yet they still relax by watching shows together at night. do they even ever watch some stuff not together at this point ? :garbage:
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

14:25 was some interesting body language from Phil. Replayed that roughly 4 times.

That's all I've got. I didn't love that video, it was a bit meh for me.
autumnhearth
senpai

Softest bereted boyfriends. :love2: the grey for Dan. I’m trash for their over lapping broad shoulders in these app games and how when Phil turns to look at Dan they are already so close and his eyes go right to his lips... um, I mean... Sure it’s a spon, and pretty fan servicey. I’m not saying their physical closeness is manufactured (on the contrary it’s kind of necessary for the game), just the overt softness. It’s the end of January heading into February, who needs dark edgy Dan? While I like to believe he has a natural soft side, I am aware that they are spoon feeding me this sherbert and I will gladly lap it up. I can actually see them both being sucked into this little fashion world. It reminded me of how excited they were for the “wardrobe!” part of Lady Layton and how we thought they should just play a dress up game, and now they have. I kind of liked the shepherdess vibe of Dan’s outfit, but I wish he had gone back and ditched the medic pants and all their layering was just too much. I do think Phil is getting more and more comfortable showing us old photos with old hairstyles. So that’s nice. God no, it’s nothing like Poptropica, hello9217 no need to worry there.
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

Wow, I like that way more than I thought I would. I was a little worried it would be another Horse Prince (I didn't knew anything about the game beforehand), but the lack of game dialogue was, uh, nice lol.

I suspect Phil especially was deliberately making questionable "fashion" choices for the sake of comedy, but I don't even care. Forget back eggs, he and Faberge can collab to make glamorous back skeletons, the hot new must-have accessory.

Also, someone get that man some ears and a tail (on the off chance he doesn't already have some) because clearly the urge is there.
JustMarie
drama llama

I'm 3 minutes in and I really can't watch it anymore. I'm cringing too much.
But because of every comment I'm reading I will give it a second chance... later
malday
emo goose

Is this the beginning of the spon spree Dan warned us about?

It was pretty funny, and the fact that they played it fairly seriously made it enjoyable, even if it is some silly dress up game. Extra bonus points for Phil's old photo!
Last edited by malday on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hello9217
flower crown

Ok it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The only good thing was Phil expressing his furry side more, we all know he was the original furry so it's nice to see it come out from time to time. Not one for a re-watch but not as cringe as some of their spons are.
dancy
procrastinator

Their taste in fashion? Horrible. The video? Could've been much worse! I remember being really into dress up games when I was younger but that's not something I'd play nowadays. Interesting that they apparently filmed this more than a week ago, since the date at the bottom of the screen says January 18th.