Discussion of Fics We're Currently Loving

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
phillyforgot
butt chair
Pronouns: she/her

Once again, I'm very happy about having read the latest amaaf chapter. I'm glad they finally talked about Phil's past and why he was so hesitant to do things with Dan. That discussion really needed to happen.
AroboticPhil
sad dimple
Pronouns: she

same !! i loved them finally talking, maybe even moreso than the kiss ... my favourite bit was definitely dan saying "im crazy about you" to phil and phil replying "you're all i think about". it was the sweetest, most perfect way to admit their very obvious feelings :love2:
DatCog
blobfish

I'm still feeling very mushy about that latest amaaf update and keep re-reading it because it is just so perfect. I wanted to post this quote as I think it's my most favourite paragraph in the whole thing so far:
“It’s me,” Dan agrees gently. “The guy who’s literally fucking enchanted by everything you do, Phil. Everything you are. You make me think it’s ok to say words like enchanted , that’s how godamned into you I am. I watch you brush your teeth and spill coffee down your front and trip over your own feet and I just fall harder every time. You have nothing to be scared of, Phil. I’m already yours.”
:happytears:
manicpixiedreamgirl
smol bean

DatCog wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:45 pm I'm still feeling very mushy about that latest amaaf update and keep re-reading it because it is just so perfect. I wanted to post this quote as I think it's my most favourite paragraph in the whole thing so far:
“It’s me,” Dan agrees gently. “The guy who’s literally fucking enchanted by everything you do, Phil. Everything you are. You make me think it’s ok to say words like enchanted , that’s how godamned into you I am. I watch you brush your teeth and spill coffee down your front and trip over your own feet and I just fall harder every time. You have nothing to be scared of, Phil. I’m already yours.”
ugh, right? I just read that paragraph over and over because it was so sweet. "enchated". I absolutely loved the whole chapter. Talking about how much they liked each other was just so cute and satisfying. And I'm so glad they talked and agreed to go slow and are all set to have a happy, healthy relationship.
supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
kindofatrashcan
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: She/Her

Ooooh my god the last amaaf chapter!!! I really love Jimmy trying to make Phil talk with mama Lester!!all i want to see now is Martyn and Cornelia reactions!!
And... i don't give them a lot of time with all the 'we're going slow' thing... i mean, look at them they can't keep their hand to themselves!!

Re DTU: I know that a happy end is in the future for them, but the last three chapters are killing me, and i still don't like Phil very much.
sonicgreen
woodland creature

I got so excited with the early upload of amaaf this morning! Great chapter, love Jimmy. Sarah mentioned to all the Jimmy fans that in the timeline, Dan and Phil have only been up north for what is now their 3rd day! So much happening it felt like forever since we heard from Jimmy. Awaiting that talk with Kath!!
kindofatrashcan wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:03 pm And... i don't give them a lot of time with all the 'we're going slow' thing... i mean, look at them they can't keep their hands to themselves!!
Ha same here, I love how cute and bashful they both were this chapter (side note: Phil is a cheeky shit who loves to make Dan spell it out every time he's turned on.) Ah I can't be happier with the pacing of this fic.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Something that will never fail to astound me about amaaf are the little bits of character development and backstory exposition that come from the smallest interactions, like with Phil and his dad in today's update. It's something that's so rare in fics (and some actual published novels aren't even that good at using those devices) so I'm really appreciating it. Also I'm glad the good communication is carrying over through the chapters.
phillyforgot
butt chair

The latest amaaf chapter was great. I liked having Phil talk things out with his mother, even if she didn't seem to be especially accepting at first. I hope their relationship will develop in later chapters.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

There was just something so perfect about how Sarah wrote the conversation with Kath. I left a comment on the fic and I also said this to Sarah directly but I feel like it bears repeating here - it was just so damn real. It was neither acceptance nor a lack of acceptance; it was just that excruciating limbo between them, where someone wants to do the right thing and just doesn't know how or what to say. I'm in awe of how well she managed to, because Kath isn't the bad guy in the fic but she still hurt Phil. And Phil isn't a flawless hero, he communicates badly too, but she managed to write him being hurt and comforted by the same person at the same time and the level of nuance is just... ugh, perfect.
kavat
pastel persona

Sarah has this magic talent of breaking my heart and mending it again in the same chapter. The whole build up to the conversation in the last chapter lulled me into a sense of security and then she just ripped the rug out from under my feet. It ended on a little better note though, thankfully. Which is why I love this fic so much, there's not only a big story arc but each chapter also has it's own arc.

I often think about how fan fiction would work in book format, and this is one of few stories that I think works super well in wip-format. I think I appreciate it so much more because I can read it all at once, I can process each chapter before continuing.
ahriem
dank meme

there was some discussion a few pages back about some people finding amaaf triggering and it's been on my mind since the kath chapter last week(?)

i think it's a combination of the story being really well written, dealing with emotionally heavy subjects and the perspective being so zoomed in you're basically in phil's head, making it difficult to retain some sort of emotional distance. so when something hits a little too close to home and the resolution in a chapter is something that's either not available to you (like a person to support you when you're struggling with depression) or is something that would make you feel worse it can leave you highly emotionally charged and depending on your personal disposition, might take a while to get back to some sort of neutral state on your own.

this is obviously not sarah's fault and i don't see how it's something you could even tag for at all. it's actually been pretty interesting trying to figure it out. it's actually clarified why and what to stay away from better now, especially if i ever read a wip again, but i'm invested enough in amaaf that i'll keep reading for now, if a bit more warily (but they're back home so it might be alright anyway).
SHITiveHITtheFANdom
butt chair

ahriem wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:43 pm
there was some discussion a few pages back about some people finding amaaf triggering and it's been on my mind since the kath chapter last week(?)

i think it's a combination of the story being really well written, dealing with emotionally heavy subjects and the perspective being so zoomed in you're basically in phil's head, making it difficult to retain some sort of emotional distance. so when something hits a little too close to home and the resolution in a chapter is something that's either not available to you (like a person to support you when you're struggling with depression) or is something that would make you feel worse it can leave you highly emotionally charged and depending on your personal disposition, might take a while to get back to some sort of neutral state on your own.

this is obviously not sarah's fault and i don't see how it's something you could even tag for at all. it's actually been pretty interesting trying to figure it out. it's actually clarified why and what to stay away from better now, especially if i ever read a wip again, but i'm invested enough in amaaf that i'll keep reading for now, if a bit more warily (but they're back home so it might be alright anyway).
Yes, this. Thank you for putting into words what I've been thinking. [This isn't going to sound right} it's actually proof (to me) of how good the characterisation is in amaaf that I have been somewhat triggered. :reading2: I get so drawn into the detailed description that I have to remind myself to step back from the story and actually somewhat depersonalise it to keep my mental health a bit. :shrug:
So with that I'm actually glad this is a wip- that way I can take the story bit by bit and breathe between the deep stuff. :reading1: So brava to Sarah for tapping into my mental state I guess! :lol:
I'm definitely looking forward to the next chapter and can't wait for our protagonists to be reunited. Cheers :ribena: (lolz the emoji is Ribena, not wine)
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

I know there hasn't been much DTU talk lately, but I really enjoyed the new chapter. I always get nervous about a "happy ending" fic where one or both of the guys really seriously hurts the other, because I'm not quick to forgive. I can enjoy a painful fic and sort of ignore the happy ending, but this one's actually getting to where I can be happy for happy. Ashley's giving them the time and growth and caution that... I'm not really mad at Phil anymore. I don't know if it would feel different if I weren't reading it as a WIP (I get the space and time that Dan does this way), but I'm actually ready to be forgiving. I love Dan and June's dynamic together, I love that this chapter is lighter without lowering stakes or avoiding the real issues here, and I'm just super-impressed that she's pulling off the thing I kinda thought I just wasn't a good enough (or forgiving enough) person to have work for me.
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

I feel like my soul ascended to the stratosphere while I was reading the latest chapter of amaaf, and now that it's returned, I need someone to fan me while I lie down digesting what happened.
Reizam
butt chair

somethingsketchy wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:46 pm I feel like my soul ascended to the stratosphere while I was reading the latest chapter of amaaf, and now that it's returned, I need someone to fan me while I lie down digesting what happened.
It was an amazing chapter (I think this after every chapter tbh but this one was especially great). The trust and pure love between them is soooo good and written so well. It's one of those rare stories where I feel my heart leap in my chest as I read it because it's worded in a way that really resonates.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Templeofshame wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:04 am I know there hasn't been much DTU talk lately, but I really enjoyed the new chapter. I always get nervous about a "happy ending" fic where one or both of the guys really seriously hurts the other, because I'm not quick to forgive. I can enjoy a painful fic and sort of ignore the happy ending, but this one's actually getting to where I can be happy for happy. Ashley's giving them the time and growth and caution that... I'm not really mad at Phil anymore. I don't know if it would feel different if I weren't reading it as a WIP (I get the space and time that Dan does this way), but I'm actually ready to be forgiving. I love Dan and June's dynamic together, I love that this chapter is lighter without lowering stakes or avoiding the real issues here, and I'm just super-impressed that she's pulling off the thing I kinda thought I just wasn't a good enough (or forgiving enough) person to have work for me.
Yes, this chapter was lovely, and I do enjoy the June and Dan dynamic.

Earlier in this thread, there was a discussion of triggers, mostly in the context of ammaf, I think. For me, though, DTU is really triggering--it's the fic that I've considered dropping. I think divorce (with children) is inherently selfish, and so often it just isn't ever all ok for all the many people who are affected by it. So it's a tribute to Ashley that she hasn't just jumped to the happily-ever-after part, and suggests that while everyone will probably move on, it won't be without scars and sadness.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

LeftHandedism wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:34 am
Earlier in this thread, there was a discussion of triggers, mostly in the context of ammaf, I think. For me, though, DTU is really triggering--it's the fic that I've considered dropping. I think divorce (with children) is inherently selfish, and so often it just isn't ever all ok for all the many people who are affected by it. So it's a tribute to Ashley that she hasn't just jumped to the happily-ever-after part, and suggests that while everyone will probably move on, it won't be without scars and sadness.
I think a lot of things about DTU are really a testament to Ashley as a writer; it's the kind of fic that could have gone downhill in so many ways, or even if it didn't go bad for a lot of people, it easily could have reached a place where I couldn't forgive Phil. So props to Ashley! I feel unqualified and disinclined to argue about divorce as a General Rule being selfish, but a) sometimes selfish acts are necessary and/or the healthiest course of action; and b) staying together "for the kids" can provide its own very negative environment for childhood. I do think Ashley is taking the time and effort to give us that nuance, that nothing's going to heal overnight, but also that Phil and June are reasonable people who care about their kids and are determined to make the best life they can for themselves and Teddy and Rosie out of their series of mistakes.
LadyLackless
cheeky #spon

Amaaf is now complete, for anyone who was waiting for it to be finished before jumping in! I’m thoroughly looking forward to a full re-read

Also, for DTU fans, Ashley has started a prequel series called Decisions and Revisions (DnR? :)) which I am super excited for. I’m already imagining all the Dan angst and Roger sailing in like a prince to rescue him, possibly
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

I'm really at a loss for words about how I feel about amaaf ending. It was so lovely, and I feel like I could sit down and write a 20 page essay about it, once I've fully processed it. Sarah ended it so beautifully and I really can't get over how wonderful and meaningful the fic is to me. While I'm sad about amaaf ending, I'm excited to read more of what she's going to write later this year, so it's a pretty good trade off I think.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

I'm always sad when some of my favourite stories get deleted. I was just looking over top-kudos stories on AO3 and found that "When it rains it pours" (and all other fics by the author) are gone. I know the fic had been dead for a long time, still sad :/
sonicgreen
woodland creature

LtrllySusan wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:45 pm I'm always sad when some of my favourite stories get deleted. I was just looking over top-kudos stories on AO3 and found that "When it rains it pours" (and all other fics by the author) are gone. I know the fic had been dead for a long time, still sad :/
Wow, thats wild to imagine. Definitely one of the Phandom’s iconic fics. Feeling the need to mourn it...
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

sonicgreen wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:08 pm
LtrllySusan wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:45 pm I'm always sad when some of my favourite stories get deleted. I was just looking over top-kudos stories on AO3 and found that "When it rains it pours" (and all other fics by the author) are gone. I know the fic had been dead for a long time, still sad :/
Wow, thats wild to imagine. Definitely one of the Phandom’s iconic fics. Feeling the need to mourn it...
I can't remember which fic that was (and please don't remind me), but when I went to look at my bookmarks, one of my favourite one-shots, which I definitely saw just a few days ago, was also gone, so I'm assuming it was by the same author. Be right back, I'm going to go back up all my favourite fics now.
kindofatrashcan

Oh god, bot amaaf and dtu are over. I loved the final chapters of both. Dtu end was the loveliest (?) Thing ever, Dan calling Teddy sport :happytears:
I can't wait for iihappydaysii's Prince!Phil fic, and i don't know about you but the dtu prequel is too angst for me, so i don't know if i'm going to keep reading it.
allsaintshowell

parentaladvisorybullshitcontent's vampire au series is so heartbreaking and good. the culminating chapter of "in bloom for you" was just uploaded and i feel the need to lie down and have a cry after the cliffhanger we were left on.

i have a confession – i still haven't read amaaf? the description has never intrigued me enough to click on it, but after hearing everyone rave about it i feel i should give it a go. hopefully i'll be pleasantly surprised?
Image Image
DatCog
blobfish

I'm feeling a bit lost after the end of amaaf and DTU - I read DTU in bed last night and it was such a beautiful ending, I might have shed a tear or two! What a perfect final chapter :love2: I'm sure I'll enjoy a full re-read of the whole thing in a few weeks, along with amaaf.

My favourite WIPs are now complete but I am still enjoying this one which is regularly updated:

High Tide by Bluebones -https://archiveofourown.org/works/13418 ... s/30747522 - teen AU set in a seaside village in the Westcountry (which is the part of the world where I live!) 10 chapters, 39k words so far.