Dan & Phil Part 66: Rainbow Nerds

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

Ahhh I think Dan answered my question about Call Me By Your Name.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
nigel ratburn
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: she/her

dan is watching drag race from the beginning oh my GOD i need to hear all of his opinions immediately
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I'm generally enjoying this live-show except for everything he said about Hamilton. IDK. I just... I want that topic done. There's so much I want to correct him on with that musical that I just don't want him to talk about it anymore. :backawayslowly:

Him mentioning he wants to IG Story more... nice. I stand by my theory that that's their plan for tour and I'm excited AF.
lilabet wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:00 pm Ahhh I think Dan answered my question about Call Me By Your Name.
A) Thank you for asking that! :stan:

B) Why in the hecky dizzle hasn't he seen it yet? FFS, I want his POV. I love that movie sfm.
sonicgreen
woodland creature

lilabet wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:00 pm Ahhh I think Dan answered my question about Call Me By Your Name.
Thank you for asking!! This has maybe been the most impactful film i've seen in years and I love it so much, I'm going to swim to London and force him to watch it. Need the opinions riGHT NOW.
JustMarie
drama llama

After so long we finally got a liveshow and I couldn't watch it because I was in school... Hope their future liveshows begin later in the day.

Also hi i'm back from the dead
Kimship
glabella

That was nice. I love just listening to him ramble on while I'm at work; it makes me more productive.
SquishPhan
capita£ester

Well that was an experience. Was nice to see his face again, but will definitely say this wasn’t a fave of mine.
liola
rankussy

There are a couple of moments that made me pause mentally for a second, like when he was talking about Queer Eye and made the example of a guy being like "I'm in love with my best friend" then by the end of the week they're married :rofl: I haven't watched the show yet so I dunno if that's actually a thing but I did raise my eyebrow.

He was lovely talking about stop speak support, but his snarky humour was turned on tonight for sure lmao

It seems like he's been having a challenging couple of weeks though, I wanna wrap him up in a blanket and feed him warm tea and just tell him that yes, he can relax, don't listen to people who just demand for more
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

I never care much about his music or TV opinions but I did enjoy how enthusiastically he talked about Speak Stop Support and how weird that experience was for him. I love behind the scenes insight like that.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Quickie as-I-watched timestamps (using younow times, so they will be slightly off from youtube times but this should get you close) since I don't think I'll have time to do long ones for a couple days:

2:51 - Describes 2017 as a roller coaster. Wanted to think about his life and who he is in the new year.
4:16 - Shows us his laying facedown spot.
4:52 - Didn't like doing them on a Tuesday in case he was having a bad day.
5:08 - Queer Eye - he'll get back to that.
5:48 - His February has been full if indecisiveness.
6:07 - He doesn't intend to not do them for like a month, but he needed to chill.
6:32 - Tumblr.
6:52 - Olympics. His family never expressed interest in sports so he wasn't interested in them and didn't do them. Got into Motorsports and Olympics in the past few years.
8:19 - Adam Rippon
8:49 - Gold hoop earring.
10:20 - He'd love to instagram story. It wouldn't be what he was up to, it would be spotify screenshots. ("That ain't a promise.")
12:22 - Muse
13:51 - Brockhampton
15:08 - McQueen boots
16:26 - Need more male shoes with flowers heels.
17:13 - Event of the month was Phil's birthday, literally never stopped. Strung it out for two weeks. He's ready for Phil to die a natural death, they've had eighty years of birthdays.
17:51 - Birthday cake. He did not leave the ditty meme in 2017. Hilarious, and he had to explain it to his mum, which was his responsibility. They spent a week finishing the cake.
18:56 - Opinion on tuition fees; don't? why? no?
19:35 - TBC dates
20:35 - Tell us more about the tour. They're in tour "heavy planning" phase. Hunger Games meets game show and made out of neon. Every show will be different.
22:59 - Phil's probably gonna trip over something and die. No documentary. They'll share more of it live as it happens.
24:00 - Shape of Water
25:01 - Black Panther
27:28 - Hamilton; part of Phil's birthday.
29:04 - lol Dan shading people with a lot of money.
30:20 - He prefers Book of Mormon; Hamilton was quite cheesy for his emotional level.
31:17 - Queer Eye (!!!)
32:02 - He doesn't watch reality shows; likes house flipping ones. Queer Eye makes him cry every episode.
33:05 - "I'm in love with my best friend" lmfaoo
36:32 - He's watching Drag Race from the start, he's on season two.
37:57 - he thicc, he quick, he wholesomeness on a stick
38:12 - Gaming videos
38:44 - Dab getting rejected by Evan was a surprise (aka Watch Dan Bullshit. Bullshit, Dan, Bullshit.)
41:20 - Description of his bath and watching men's figure skating during it.
42:19 - He and Phil doing duos on Fortnight test the limits of their friendships.
43:06 - Stop Speak Support
52:28 - Florida students/shooting
54:11 - Excited over new John Oliver
54:19 - Celeste
57:14 - That was his January; video, Phil's birthday, event with the future kind, and him thinking.
58:46 - The eternal question of life; "please do more."
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

I think I'm in the minority that prefers him talking about music more than movies. For me in general music > movies, but I love them both. No comment about the musicals since I haven't seen them.

Why is the fact that he is watching drag race excite me so much?! I want ALL the commentary on this asap. The same as queer eye (btw I'm the same age as Dan and I do remember watching queer eye for a straight guy. Is it just me?)

Some updates on the tour for those who care.

Talk on stopspeaksupport!! Very importante.

Looking forward to a new video soonish and that he doesn't forget to show us his new earrings.

Loved it overall, and hour well spent. Missed his face he looked fantastic and it got really sweet at the end. ❤ I might watch it again tomorrow.
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
autumnhearth
senpai

Loved the beginning, liked the ending, there were good bits inbetween. I’m glad he is not feeling obligated to do these every week and that he had his mindful new year period, it seems to have done him some good.

Wish he had talked more about figuring out who he wants to be/his purpose, but I suppose the point is for him just to live it and show us a but along the way, I’m excited for whatever video he decides to make. (My immediate cheap joke based on his Twitter likes is that he’s decided to be gayer this year, but that’s unfair and oversimplifying things. I do actually admire his introspection. I never was very good at shit posting).

I watched the first three episodes of the new Queer Eye today (which umm I was around for the original, which started in 2003, not the 90s, Daniel) and haven’t really been emotionally moved yet (in fact I was uncomfortable with them pushing the second guy’s physical boundaries and I feel like the police tension thing with the pull over was completely staged, which detracted from a very important conversation). But I’ll watch a some more. Curious about the best friend thing.

He mentioned Phil dying more than once, but I’m not at all concerned, it was pretty funny with the extended birthday celebrations. Did he confirm that he did the icing writing or that he had it made? My stream lagged for just a second. Oh I’ll go rewatch the moment, thanks for the timestamps @alittledizzy !

I noticed that he tensed up with the TBC dates but lit up when he was asked about the show. I hope the stage design isn’t too strong on the eyes (crazy lighting wise).

Very proud of him hosting/organizing the event at the school. Funny how he seemed to be downplaying his role a couple times but also acknowledged how much he was asked to do and the pressure of that.
Last edited by autumnhearth on Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ahriem
dank meme

i enjoyed the ls a lot, haven't watched any of the things he talked about or most of the music (although i did watch queer eye for the straight guy, think it was later than his guess, early 2000s maybe? bit of a tangent but mum loved that show despite normally being terrified of anything with even a hint of lgbt-content. maybe i should try to find a way of getting her to watch the new one, and without me since i'm not going to watch anything potentially emotional with her)

out of all of their content, dan's ls's are my favourite, there's just something really enjoyable to me about listening to him ramble, watching his thought process unfold and that particular flavour of chaotic focus, jumping around, tangents and snark
blackdenim
procrastinator

I haven't watched the live show but I am THRILLED to hear that Dan is watching RPDR I need to hear all his opinions on it. I hope he gets really obsessed and ends up watching Courtney Act on CBB (which is what I spent my whole January doing) to fill the void when it's over, because I could talk forever about the parallels I saw between Courtney and Andrew's friendship on CBB and Dan and Phil and I want to know if he sees those same similarities (not that he would ever say if he did).
autumnhearth
senpai

Answering my own question after watching back the moment. Dan said “I a[te]- um, iced (weird side look) ‘philussy’ onto his birthday cake, which was hilarious (hand over heart), and then he had to explain it to his mum, which was you know his responsibility, but I don’t care.” What a great friend.
KatjaZoe
sad dimple

Aw I didn't realize how much i missed Dan til i was watching him live. <3 I am a bit worried for him cause it sounds like he's been having kind of a rough time lately. From personal experience, it can be scary when some of your mental health issues resurface after you feel like you've made a lot of progress (in his case the existential crisis-ing). It does seem like he's handling it okay though, I just worry.

I also watched queer eye when i was a kid as some of you have said, and i'm 23. So either Dan was out of the loop or maybe its just more of an American thing?

I would live for Dan posting instagram stories, even if it was just screenshots of his spotify. I love his music opinions. Also i was happy to see he's reblogging stuff on tumblr today. I hope that continues and wasn't just a one-time thing. It seems like he's wanting to be more active on social media tho so chances are looking good.
"He's the guy with his flesh on show. What a hoe.
That's. Our. Dan."
:dogue: :dogue: :dogue:
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I loved the liveshow, was really needing something, having a bit of a crisis trying to do things more than think about them and trying not to beat myself up, the “relax and not go with every demand” part is a hill I will rest on, shall we say. He seemed very like he was in the last one, I thought, talking more directly and openly to us, and I’m so here for it. His tone right at the start leading into explaining how he’d been feeling, starting by asking how we’d been feeling, I thought was very sweet. Also all the anti-bullying schpiel, he says all that so well.

It was interesting to hear about how the event came about and that they threw it all together really quickly and he was up till 5am writing stuff. Project management and balance in life ftw :roll: (though a therapist I saw did illustrate that balance is just standing still or lying down). Hearing a little about the tour set and the audience-creator relationship theme was great too, wonder if he realises or if Phil remembers that he said he might share some set-design stuff weeks ago now.

I love hearing him talk about movies and everything, though I’m a lot less into him being judgey. He was jokey enough, the old “if you have taste” was annoying. Freaks is up there with losers from the end of Tatinof as words I don’t like very much, I don’t know what good meaning they have for anyone. Hamilton is probably said and sung clearly so you can hear the words the first time you see it, but some shows aren’t in my experience and if it’s sold out for months, I’d listen to it first so I could just hear it. If you’re reading, Danny, that’s two reasons why!

It was funny when he said the original Queer Eye was so long ago do any of us remember it. I do, I only watched one episode for one of the guys who’d been in Cats (and he was a lot nicer than when he judges in Dancing on Ice), but I didn’t realise it was that long ago. Years have been going fast.
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

KatjaZoe wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:43 pm I would live for Dan posting instagram stories, even if it was just screenshots of his spotify. I love his music opinions. Also i was happy to see he's reblogging stuff on tumblr today. I hope that continues and wasn't just a one-time thing. It seems like he's wanting to be more active on social media tho so chances are looking good.
Ooh that's literally all I want. I just want to know what he listens to. If that's his whole ig story i'm ok (with a couple selfies here and there)
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
karma_yeah
philussy

anonymousdork wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:29 am
karma_yeah wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:04 am
whelpkeeper wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:03 am I can't even imagine what people in the U.K. and around the globe must think when they see politicians in the U.S. refuse to do anything while children are literally slaughtered en masse. It makes me feel ashamed, it feels like we're just waiting for the next tragedy so we can rinse and repeat the "thoughts and prayers" charade. I'm hoping something will change fast, and soon.
I agree whole-heartedly! I was really pleased to see Dan acknowledge the tragedy. And he's right, it's seeing how young people are reacting that gives me hope. I can only hope that the outrage people are feeling right now translates into action. People have to vote locally, as well as nationally, if anything is going to change. Early voting for local elections in my state start tomorrow . . . fingers crossed.

seriously, this nothing post is at the top of the page??! :roll:
I am a high school student in the US, and I saw some of the videos that students filmed during and after the shooting. I'm still sort of surprised at how much it rattled me, I couldn't sleep. I started crying in the middle of the night because I could feel the fear and horror through the screen, and it was scary how easy it was for me to imagine the same thing happening at my school. Kids are dying and our politicians don't care. On a more positive note, it's amazing to see what the survivors are doing, and seeing Dan acknowledge it warmed my heart. Every signal boost helps to make sure something like this doesn't fade into obscurity.

Anyway, sorry that this is a bit intense and off-topic, I just am struggling with this news, and seeing Dan's tweet made me think about it all some more.
I'm so very sorry that you're going through the emotional trauma, but you are certainly not alone! I saw the clip you are talking about. I have a daughter who is a senior in HS and it was very disturbing to watch. Initially, I was upset that they showed it and questioned whether that was a good decision, but now I hope that it will make a powerful impact.

Please take good care! My thoughts are with you <3
What goes around, comes around Image
karma_yeah
philussy

Sorry to double post!!
Stakhanov wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:29 am
karma_yeah wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:04 am
whelpkeeper wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:03 am I can't even imagine what people in the U.K. and around the globe must think when they see politicians in the U.S. refuse to do anything while children are literally slaughtered en masse. It makes me feel ashamed, it feels like we're just waiting for the next tragedy so we can rinse and repeat the "thoughts and prayers" charade. I'm hoping something will change fast, and soon.
I agree whole-heartedly! I was really pleased to see Dan acknowledge the tragedy. And he's right, it's seeing how young people are reacting that gives me hope. I can only hope that the outrage people are feeling right now translates into action. People have to vote locally, as well as nationally, if anything is going to change. Early voting for local elections in my state start tomorrow . . . fingers crossed.

seriously, this nothing post is at the top of the page??! :roll:
I was happy to see Dan speaking his mind too, even if it's just a tweet. I would love to see him write out his broader thoughts about it and share those with us. But who knows if he would like to do that. He mentioned his desire to use his voice more, and this is a good first step. I was also pleased to see Phil liking that tweet, though I wish he would just put it on his own twitter page. I think Phil is afraid of polarizing any group of his audience.
So i'm glad with the tweet, but i do also remain critical, precisely because my expectations are high and positive. It has to be said that this was a pretty safe stance to have and tweet about, just going by the things that get commented and retweeted in general in the phandom.
The way the U.S. thinks about and (refuses to) regulate guns pretty much makes them an outlier in an international context, especially within the OECD group of "high income" countries, which often serve as a basis of comparison in studies about economic but also social policies. So the majority of his audience probably finds the U.S. situation about guns appaling and peculiar to start with. The US part I guess may be more split (all that pressure to keep guns unregulated must have some basis?), but also I expect the US viewers to be heavily slanted towards being young and by proxy (this is a well established and consistent finding in social studies) left of center, within US norms.
So I still am excitedly waiting to see Dan take a controversial, reasoned stance about something he cares about deeply but which may not be popular and speak his thoughts about it freely.
On the other hand, I think it's important that he tries to reach his (US) audience. Even if he only makes a few people rethink, or pushes them towards voting or engaging politically, something valuable is achieved.
Just wanted to say that I agree with so much of what you said (I bolded specific parts). And you're right, it is a "safe" stance for him to take, but at least he took one. It's so important and the more voices speaking out, the better!
What goes around, comes around Image
malday
emo goose

Talking about the tour he said:

@20:22 "We're gonna have this skeleton of this show that asks big questions about 'who are Dan and Phil? who are their audience? what's their relationship? what does it mean to give the people what they want, what is the relationship between a performer and their audience? what would happen if you just gave people total control'."

He keeps using that phrase and while i'm sure they would't really give the audience complete control, i can't help wondering how far they are willing to take this and how they will set boundaries because we can all imagine how it will go if the phandom is given free rein.
It's great marketing anyway, because it makes you want to go to multiple shows just to see what's different.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

malday wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:44 am Talking about the tour he said:

@20:22 "We're gonna have this skeleton of this show that asks big questions about 'who are Dan and Phil? who are their audience? what's their relationship? what does it mean to give the people what they want, what is the relationship between a performer and their audience? what would happen if you just gave people total control'."

He keeps using that phrase and while i'm sure they would't really give the audience complete control, i can't help wondering how far they are willing to take this and how they will set boundaries because we can all imagine how it will go if the phandom is given free rein.
It's great marketing anyway, because it makes you want to go to multiple shows just to see what's different.
Yeah I'm definitely intrigued. And I really hope phandom ups their lowkey audio recording game, if it really is different every night.
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

@karma_yeah Thanks. I missed @anonymousdork 's reply, but it made me think how this deeply this must be impacting the psyche. Today, i heard from more than one person in the "fandom" about how they are scared to go to big movie releases or other mass events... Or how people are even fearful to just go to school.
When a terrorist attack hits our shores, we are quick to stress that life should continue as it as, that we must not be afraid or it would mean that the terrorist have "won". When we change our societies and live in fear the goal of poltical violence through terrorism is achieved and in a perverted way their methods have become effective in altering how we think about the world.
With this shooting, it almost feels as if the terrorists have "won" too. I don't want to just take a jab at the U.S. (it's a huge country with a lot of different people with different ideas) but it feels as if paranoia runs deep. If history is any guide, this will probably just increase gun sales even more. People will feel even more fear, parents will try even harder to make sure that their schools have metal detectors and safety personnel and that their kids go to school "in a good neighborhood" - while those schools and parents who can't afford that are left with the feeling they can't protect their kids as well as the fortunate.
All these measures are already extreme to me. The idea of having metal detectors or security or rules on what knives you eat with in school cafetaria's, is so foreign to me and I would have felt very unsafe indeed if those were "needed" in my school.
I guess what i'm trying to say is that there are so many aspects of American culture that go into this that I think it will be very hard to stop this trend of school shooting indeed. The figures are shocking. There now is basically at least one mass shooting every day: http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/mass-shooting
In the face of all this, you wonder why it is that so many people and (heavily lobbied and funded) politicians define owning war weapons as the summum of liberty of freedom. When the Columbine shooting happened in 1999 (put to light through docu's like Bowling for Columbine or movies like "Elephant")... i thought reason would win out and there would come reasonable gun restrictions in the U.S. Instead, we got fear and metal detectors. After Sandy Hook, I was shocked that even under a democratic presidency and with so much national attention, no change was possible.
Today shows how much more the political window of what is "possible" has moved even further towards insanity.
You are now debating things like "should we outlaw people owning arsenals of war weapons" or "should the mentally unstable and people on the terror watch list be able to own guns". These are not even real restrictions, in a comprehensive way that could actually solve the problem. They are of course better than nothing, but it's incredibly sad how the culture has developed in such a way that the next tragedy is predictable and so is the political debate and the view people will have on it. There is no real conversation going on in the U.S. and everyone has just retreated into their own ideology and their own beliefs, unwilling to change their minds even if something as fundamental as the lives of children are at stake.
I feel like that is the real problem.

So what do you think Danny boy ;-) To bad he didn't really talk much about it in the livestream. Maybe i'm expecting to much, what he does is already important. But he's smart. And i keep getting the feeling he is interested more in politics than he lets us know. He just believes, i feel, that the role of entertainer and political activist don't mix.
I think he's probably right but I also think that he should go ahead and speak his mind anyway, because he will just feel better about who he is and what he does as a public figure. That's something an extra stack of green paper can't give you.

I'm really tired btw and my rant probably lost some coherence, but hey i know some of you here are strongly affected and i feel like it's important to talk frankly and openly about the things that move the fandom. This too after all influences one's (social) anxiety and mental health. So stop, speak and support ;)
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
greenergrass
stress mushroom

Really liked the liveshow, especially the brief explanation into why he doesn't want to do regular ones, and also how he has been feeling so far this year. I like how he can talk about that more without completely hiding hard stuff behind jokes (not that I want the sarcasm and self-deprecating jokes to go away, because I live for that and it's a lot of what I love about Dan's personality).
yellowsubmarine wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:05 pm The same as queer eye (btw I'm the same age as Dan and I do remember watching queer eye for a straight guy. Is it just me?)
I'm also the same age as Dan and I remember queer eye for the straight guy being a thing but never really watched it. It makes sense that Dan wouldn't have really known about it since it was an American show and things weren't as global back then (due to netflix, social media, etc). I love the new queer eye though, so I might go back and give some older episodes a watch. Has anyone seen both series, and do you recommend watching the old ones?
autumnhearth wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:08 pm (My immediate cheap joke based on his Twitter likes is that he’s decided to be gayer this year, but that’s unfair and oversimplifying things. I do actually admire his introspection. I never was very good at shit posting).
I mean, I think that's actually true. Obviously not 'decided to be gayer' (I know you worded that as a joke, no worries), but I think he's definitely letting more and more of his true self out there. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point this year he talked a little more explicitly about his sexuality, and maybe even made a video around the subject; not necessarily focusing on his sexuality in particular, but the topic in general.
I watched the first three episodes of the new Queer Eye today (which umm I was around for the original, which started in 2003, not the 90s, Daniel) and haven’t really been emotionally moved yet (in fact I was uncomfortable with them pushing the second guy’s physical boundaries and I feel like the police tension thing with the pull over was completely staged, which detracted from a very important conversation). But I’ll watch a some more. Curious about the best friend thing.
You've probably been informed already, but there's no best friend thing. That was all Dan. So, take of it what you will
alittledizzy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:48 am Yeah I'm definitely intrigued. And I really hope phandom ups their lowkey audio recording game, if it really is different every night.
I wasn't really here during Tatinof, so I don't know how good the audio recording game was then. I'm hoping it's good this time around, and praying for some sneaky video as well.
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

aaaa!!! i asked him abt RPDR in the chat and then he talked abt it! coolio!
i just wanna hear him talk abt it... for hours.... please.... i bet his favorite in s2 is jujubee or tatianna.... the earrings r making a comeback! he ordered a weighted blanket (those are expensive as HELL btw) i hope he feels better i luv that man!
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl