Dan & Phil Part 66: Rainbow Nerds

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

whatdoiknow wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:20 am
alittledizzy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:48 am Yeah I'm definitely intrigued. And I really hope phandom ups their lowkey audio recording game, if it really is different every night.
I wasn't really here during Tatinof, so I don't know how good the audio recording game was then. I'm hoping it's good this time around, and praying for some sneaky video as well.
It was not super great; I feel like most people wanted to video and if they couldn't video they didn't bother doing anything. Which sucks, because I'd sure as hell listen to a show even if I couldn't see it, especially when it'll come accompanied by descriptions and show recounts from people. It's also nice to be able to verify if something really "phan" happens how their tone really was or if people are exaggerating.

Speaking of the tour in general, Dan sounded so engaged with it. He sounded hyped about the set design, and his description of February as being an "indecisive" month definitely reaffirms to me that their days really have been full of decision making. Since there's not a song and dance number I am sure the rehearsals will be less strenuous, and maybe more time will be put into this phase of figuring out exactly how the interactive part will go?

The Hawaii mention was also interesting to me, in private conversation @mermaid blood pointed out that Dan mentioned the beach in relation to happiness in the last gaming video. Wonder if that's on the maybe list for their pre-tour holiday? (Which I'm just assuming they'll take. Though, knowing them, it might just end up being Florida with the Lesters again.)
greenergrass
stress mushroom

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:55 am It was not super great; I feel like most people wanted to video and if they couldn't video they didn't bother doing anything. Which sucks, because I'd sure as hell listen to a show even if I couldn't see it, especially when it'll come accompanied by descriptions and show recounts from people. It's also nice to be able to verify if something really "phan" happens how their tone really was or if people are exaggerating.

Speaking of the tour in general, Dan sounded so engaged with it. He sounded hyped about the set design, and his description of February as being an "indecisive" month definitely reaffirms to me that their days really have been full of decision making. Since there's not a song and dance number I am sure the rehearsals will be less strenuous, and maybe more time will be put into this phase of figuring out exactly how the interactive part will go?

The Hawaii mention was also interesting to me, in private conversation @mermaid blood pointed out that Dan mentioned the beach in relation to happiness in the last gaming video. Wonder if that's on the maybe list for their pre-tour holiday? (Which I'm just assuming they'll take. Though, knowing them, it might just end up being Florida with the Lesters again.)
Yeah, I would definitely prefer audio over nothing. I need to see or hear something myself to really get the context (because excitement can really skew people's stories, even if they do have the best intentions and aren't meaning to exaggerate). I would love if people could subtly film at least parts of the shows, but I would gladly take full audio of the shows.

I'm really interested in how the interactive part will go. I can't remember what now, but I remember something about what he said in the liveshow gave me the feeling they'll allow things to get more 'personal' on stage. I don't have any timestamps to give because I don't remember what gave me this impression. And by personal I don't mean I think they will come out on stage or something like that. But I feel it may go to slightly deeper places at times than Tatinof did (in the sense that I found a lot of the submissions chosen for crafts, uncle dan hotline, etc to be quite safe and repetitive from the reviews I read and what I saw; I feel they will keep up the trend of letting loose more and showing us more like they do in their videos these days).
kay
phabergé

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:00 pm 36:32 - He's watching Drag Race from the start, he's on season two.
THIS IS THE GREATEST NEWS IVE HEARD ALL DAY :love2:

I really love Music Discourse with Daniel so I'm going to have to go watch this one as I missed it live. Especially interested to hear his thoughts on Brockhampton
autumnhearth wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:08 pm (My immediate cheap joke based on his Twitter likes is that he’s decided to be gayer this year, but that’s unfair and oversimplifying things. I do actually admire his introspection. I never was very good at shit posting).
I mean, I think that's actually true. Obviously not 'decided to be gayer' (I know you worded that as a joke, no worries), but I think he's definitely letting more and more of his true self out there. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point this year he talked a little more explicitly about his sexuality, and maybe even made a video around the subject; not necessarily focusing on his sexuality in particular, but the topic in general.
This was my thought too, in scanning the timestamp topics, that he's opening up very slowly more and more.
smartcookie
drama llama

I’m possibly a minority here not really caring for live shows that much, but I’ve recently started watching again by listening while falling asleep. Which is quite a nice thing really. Problem with this one though, it was just so information heavy I couldn’t will myself to sleep!

That was a unnecessarily long Segway into saying I thought it was quite informative. But I really felt like he crammed a lot in there, especially thing we’ve discussed on here, like tbc dates, LS’s etc. I mean yeah it was cos the audience asked about it, but I’ve rarely found myself this quite informed. I liked it!

Also REALLY hoping he actually goes through with using IG stories, especially during tour!
everything sucks forever
kavat
pastel persona

I've really missed him. Hearing him rambling about tv and movies and music and what he's been up to is just so soothing, like catching up with a friend.
- Loved him talking about Brockhampton.
- He seems so excited for the tour and it makes me v excited too.
- I would love them to do IG stories during tour, to make up for lack of videos and documentary/dapgo.
- Interested in seeing what the next video will be, it seems like he hadn't quite decided on what to do yet so I'm not expecting it until next week.
- We had Queer eye in Sweden in the early 2000's (but I think it was just called Fab5). I saw the first episode of the reboot the other day and liked it. The ending was very staged but cute.
- All in all a good ls, I've missed his face and hope we don't go as long before we get another one.
JustMe
living flop
Pronouns: She/her

Liked the liveshow, he seemed quite mature to me in a way I couldn't put my finger on. Love the thumbnail, I'm imagining Dan asking Phil to take a picture of him layed out like that and Phil not even blinking an eye (also being tall enough to get all of Dan in shot).

For anyone interested, here's what he posted on people's younow pages (including typical Dan typo):
thank you for choosing to spent time with me i truly appreciate it and hope your life is swell until the next time
~ I'll be bold as well as strong and use my head alongside my heart ~
human
dan hand trash

rizzo wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:30 pm I'm generally enjoying this live-show except for everything he said about Hamilton. IDK. I just... I want that topic done. There's so much I want to correct him on with that musical that I just don't want him to talk about it anymore. :backawayslowly:

Correct him on what exactly? His opinion? He said it was great but he preferred Book of Mormon. I don’t see anything problematic about that.

I don’t get why people think it’s offensive if people have different opinions to them lol I see it a lot in this phandom tbh. He wasn’t offensive or rude at all.

Nice liveshow, kinda zoned out at the end as I was tired but he was sweet.

Agree with someone who said it seemed he’d had a challenging week, I’m generally tired of people bullying or demanding content out of him, especially if he’s taking time out for himself which a lot of introverts need to do. Poor thing.

Also, me and another deppy (she rarely uses IDB) went to see the Markiplier show on Sunday, most of it is complete mprov and it was brilliant. But we realised Deppy would never feel comfortable doing that for obv reasons. There was already awkward bits in the show where girls asked how Mark’s girlfriend was or how somebody’s wedding planning was going. I found both those questions so creepy. Deppy would just never be able to plan for those I think. Or want to.
thewaytobehappy
squish

I know I will definitely get flak for saying this. But as someone in DnP's age group, and as someone who struggled with the things Dan still struggles with, I want to say it just once.

I can't watch Dan's liveshows for more then a minute without rolling my eyes.

The way he covers his emotional immaturity with edginess, and lack of intelligence and a real opinion with pseudo intellectionalism is really sad.

I keep hoping for his sake that he'll grow out if his obsession with image, but going by this ls it's not happening.
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

thewaytobehappy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:15 am I know I will definitely get flak for saying this. But as someone in DnP's age group, and as someone who struggled with the things Dan still struggles with, I want to say it just once.

The way he covers his emotional immaturity with edginess, and lack of intelligence and a real opinion with pseudo intellectionalism is really sad.

I keep hoping for his sake that he'll grow out if his obsession with image, but going by this ls it's not happening.
As someone who is their age and also has depression I completely disagree with you. You have no right to judge what you consider his emotional immaturity and pseudo intellectionalism.
If it's not your cup of tea that's fine but don't say it's because he's not smart enough or mature enough. Maybe he just has a different perspective to you?
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

thewaytobehappy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:15 am I know I will definitely get flak for saying this. But as someone in DnP's age group, and as someone who struggled with the things Dan still struggles with, I want to say it just once.

I'm sure we all can agree that Dan has a tendency to be pretentious and melodramatic as hell, especially with his language choice and the topics he often addresses/brings up, but I have no idea how that equates to a lack of intelligence or personal opinion on his part. I'm curious how you can think someone who doesn't shut up about having opinions (and across various platforms too) isn't able to form real ones. I'm also not sure how his ~edginess (and yeah, we all know he's really quite soft) covers emotional immaturity. If you could elaborate on this, please do, because I am struggling to see where you've drawn these conclusions because it reads extremely unfairly and curtly.
human
dan hand trash

I must have missed the memo where depression, anxiety and mental health issues are branded as “emotional immaturity”...

...And thank god for that :roll:

Excuse you. Let’s move on.
thewaytobehappy
squish

Since Dan is a public figure I can and will judge him. He also said that he didn't want his depression to change my opinion of him, so I won't.

To name a few examples wrt emotinal immaturity: his inability to handle critisism or keep a structured work schedule, frequent baiting of his fans, his obsession with image rather then actual substance.

Wrt intelligence: he seldom goes beyond the most basic talking points, and when he does he either stops midway or flounders. So it's either that or not doing his research.

But as I said, I was aware my opinion would be impopular when I posted.

My break is over, back to work.
kavat
pastel persona

I mean. Yes he is a public figure and yes, we all make judgments about him daily. But what we see is exactly that, a public figure with a private personality. We probably know 20% of who he really is. I don't judge him for not going on long deep philosophical discussions live in front of 30 thousand people who mostly want him to talk about what he's been up to lately. That would be inappropriate (as in not beneficial) for the medium and audience of a younow show.

He does worry a lot about his image, but I can't blame him considering his image is his job. Being the social media influencer (barf) that he is, he literally makes a living based on being liked by other people. If everyone started hating him tomorrow his life as he knows it would completely change. Of course that's something to worry about, I sure as heck would.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

The only LS thing that makes me wanna roll my eyes is when he gives study advice to uni students. Surely his mental health was a big factor in him failing uni and dropping out, but I still don't see him in a position to tell people good ways to study. Especially when he just admitted staying up till 5am to finish his StopSpeakSupport speech, and when his advice consists of strangly specific things like looking up teachers or studying only part of the curriculum. I don't mind YTers doing the whole generic "Start studying early, be prepared, believe in yourself" speech, but I am not buying what he's saying.

It's a bit annoying when he loses track of what he wanted to say (especially when I am interested in that topic), but with ten thousand people spamming him in chat, I can't really blame him. I challenge everyone to look at that chat and form any cohesive thoughts - the fact that he can even make out single messages is quite impressive.
(I still think he makes up the names that he "reads" in chat. It's always generic names and never stuff like xXxPhanLover69xXx)
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

I'm interested in your take on Dan @thewaytobehappy , even though I agree with little of what you say. You can judge him to your heart's desire, but keep in mind that this is also a public forum so the judgement might come right back at you.
As a sidenote I have to agree with @human 's sentiment and have found that some of the most easily offended people I ever interacted with are part of this fandom. I was surprised, since Dan's (and Phil's - but it's much more veiled with him) natural sense of humor would i have thought not appealed to the judgemental. :shrug:

So yea, it's interesting to read how your take on his liveshow can differ so much but I have to say that I see a whole lot of little substantiated claims in your post that I would argue reveal more about your views on the matter than Dan's ;)

"To name a few examples wrt emotinal immaturity: his inability to handle critisism or keep a structured work schedule, frequent baiting of his fans, his obsession with image rather then actual substance."

First: I don't believe the things you mention define emotional immaturity, with the exception of one's ability to handle criticism.
I don't find Dan to be handling criticism particularly bad, at least outwardly. I can't really think of particular instances. Or do you perhaps mean his denials of phan? Well i would of course say those weren't "ways he dealt with criticism" but rather him trying to set straight a view about his relationship with Phil that is untrue. I'm really unsure of what you mean. He's sensitive, he does get irritated quickly at times (are you talking about how he can be quick to raise his voice?), but I would say that's more of a dramatization or an act rather than a true reflection on his ability to handle criticism. The content he makes and his general demeanor as an entertainer rarely put him into a spot where serious, substantive criticism is brought forward i would say...

The structured work schedule and frequent baiting I don't see as key of emotional maturity as such, but even if you put it under that umbrella i would say that i have no idea what you mean by baiting because people understand different behavior as "baiting" and also judge it differently. "Baiting" as I see it is either not something they do (pretending to be what? Gay? A couple? They've never even claimed they were , we are assuming those things about him) or it's something that every youtuber does and that i don't find that bothersome. A certain dishonesty in how they represent themselves and a focus on 'serving' content that people enjoy is what happens in all forms of entertainment.

The concern with image i can agree with to an extent, but I think you misjudge that to be saying something about his maturity. They are, like you said, public figures. As such, their image does matter a lot. Being perceived positively and being found interesting and popular is literally why they can be so successful as professional youtubers. He would be a fool not to care about his image, and i think it is only fair he does, as every little word and expression he makes will get analyzed, commented on, and judged. Most of what we think of them to be 'true" is based on (wild) speculation we do on the basis of very little they say or do.

Wrt intelligence: he seldom goes beyond the most basic talking points, and when he does he either stops midway or flounders. So it's either that or not doing his research.

Again I disagree that how he acts in a live stream says a lot about his true intelligence. Yes, he does mostly expand on "talking points": these are also the questions he reads in chat and picks up on social media. People desire information and answers about these issues. He (sometimes) gives them. Does he often go into tangents? I guess so, that's what i like about his shows for one. I don't doubt he has a particular conversational style that you may like or dislike, but I very much doubt that he stops mid-sentence because of a lack of intelligence. I don't really see him actually stopping mid-sentence much, what i do notice is that he changes topics while he doesn't always complete his thoughs on the previous topic. Perhaps because he is moderating what he is willing to share and what not while he's speaking?
I'd very much like him to talk much more openly and raise more profound issues, but alas he more or less sticks to his role as entertainer and public figure while doing his live shows. It's also very much up for debate if that is what most of the audience wants to hear of him. Still, it's a more free flow of conversation and a broader field of topics that he talks about compared to a produced video.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
sasstronaut
smol bean

I think Dan is just a typical white dude in that he'll read wikipedia articles about something and suddenly believe he's an expert on it. It also doesn't help that his fans gas him up about how eloquent and informed he is~ when he mostly only expresses pretty basic ideas. I don't think he's unintelligent by any means, just that maybe he buys into his own hype sometimes and veers into pseudo-intellectual (and slightly condescending) territory.
smartcookie
drama llama

Saying that reads so unfairly to me it’s giving me a stomach ache. And I can’t not respond.

Yes, he is a public figure in the public eye open for anyone at anytime to criticise and scrutinise to their heart content, but that doesn’t translate to that you have to share that opinion. By this I don’t mean “I have a unpopular opinions so I should always shut my trap” rather asking yourself, is it constructive criticism? Does it do anyone any good? What do I get out of sharing this? And to me this is barely criticism, it’s pure unadulterated hate.

I don’t wholeheartedly condone baiting of fans or his inability to upload with even a little bit of frequency either, but I do not think he should be this badly slammed for it. Those are actually quite bad but I do not think he is that guilty of the first, quite innocent actually, and the latter doesn’t bother me to much, we still get content. So why bother get so pissy about lack of dinof vids? The other in you examples I’d have to get an actual example of cos I have a hard time recalling many actions of such severity he should be labelled emotionally immature for them.
I think we all are probably more or less guilty of some of those things/personality traits!
TLDR, I do not think any of those examples even added up together translates to him being emotionally immature!

He’s never claimed to be any genius! He talks about the things he likes as much as he’s (presumably, I can’t but guess) comfortable with. And finishing halfway through or going on tangents doesn’t mean you’re unintelligent, it means you’re scatter brained! And why does dan need to be held to such high standards? If he is a bit uneducated then so be it, I think fairly few people are educated about every little thing they decide to chat about. As someone else said, his live shows haven’t ever really been intended for long philosophical in depth analysis. They are a nice lighthearted chat. It’s not that deep!

In my opinion none of your arguments, to me, shows as any proof of Dans alleged emotional immaturity or lack of intelligence. He’s merely human, with both positive and negative traits, depression or not.

Sorry for any error, class starts so I don’t have time to proof read, soz
everything sucks forever
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

sasstronaut wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:26 am I think Dan is just a typical white dude in that he'll read wikipedia articles about something and suddenly believe he's an expert on it. It also doesn't help that his fans gas him up about how eloquent and informed he is~ when he mostly only expresses pretty basic ideas. I don't think he's unintelligent by any means, just that maybe he buys into his own hype sometimes and veers into pseudo-intellectual (and slightly condescending) territory.
I feel this. I don't think there's anything to suggest that he's unintelligent or immature, I just....happen to end up rolling my eyes very often when he speaks
(Just to clarify: I do love Dan, I'm not hating on him, etc etc, I just have criticisms)
thewaytobehappy
squish

Don't worry about me, stakhanov. Only judgement I care about are my family, and my boss, as he signs my paycheck.

Nah, he didn't bother me with the Phan denial. That was something He handled poorly but was understandable.
To name an example: during a joint ls fans expressed annoyance when he kept talking over Phil. Dan responds by whining and sticking out his tongue. This was last year.

Or the trainwreck that was "the memeing of life" that after a bizarre poll was quickly shoved aside when he realized people didn't like it.

I'm aware Dan is very persona heavy, but I think it's time then to let it grow up, without the hoopla of his name change. Phil has being doing that slowly and it worked for him.
coffeepenguin
rainbow nerd

Guess who's back ;) Apparently, it takes a Dan's ls to make me post again, and I really liked it yesterday, made me realise how much I've missed him, been too long, but whatever, take all the time you need Dan if it makes you feel better :thumb:

Being a very immature and emotionally unintelligent person myself, I don't have anything to contribute to the current discussion, but I was super interested in what Dan said about the tour. Sure, he was all glowing while talking about it, which, yeah, nice, but I won't hide that I got a bit scared there when he was talking about exploring the relationship between the performer and their audience.
malday wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:44 am Talking about the tour he said:

@20:22 "We're gonna have this skeleton of this show that asks big questions about 'who are Dan and Phil? who are their audience? what's their relationship? what does it mean to give the people what they want, what is the relationship between a performer and their audience? what would happen if you just gave people total control'."

He keeps using that phrase and while i'm sure they would't really give the audience complete control, i can't help wondering how far they are willing to take this and how they will set boundaries because we can all imagine how it will go if the phandom is given free rein.
I really hope that's just his usual way of over-hyping things and it's not the central theme of the show. Or if it is, they'll handle it well. I mean, I believe in them and stuff, but TATINOF was already somewhat about that and I will forever judge them for the fanfiction section whatever their intention was.
whatdoiknow wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:44 amI'm really interested in how the interactive part will go. I can't remember what now, but I remember something about what he said in the liveshow gave me the feeling they'll allow things to get more 'personal' on stage. I don't have any timestamps to give because I don't remember what gave me this impression. And by personal I don't mean I think they will come out on stage or something like that. But I feel it may go to slightly deeper places at times than Tatinof did (in the sense that I found a lot of the submissions chosen for crafts, uncle dan hotline, etc to be quite safe and repetitive from the reviews I read and what I saw; I feel they will keep up the trend of letting loose more and showing us more like they do in their videos these days).
I agree with that in a way, but what does it actually mean to get more "personal"? And are they both ready for that? Which brings me to another topic: recently, there was a discussion on here about Phil opening up more, which is a point of view that I share, I do think he's becoming more open. However, I caught myself thinking, after Dan's talk about the StopSpeakSupport event, that we get quite a lot of information about Dan's solo projects (when he has them) and about his thoughts and what's bothering him, which was the case even before the depression video. But what do we know about what's Phil doing all day? Don't get me wrong, I'm not accusing him of being lazy or anything, I'm sure he's doing many things and even with the information that's publicly available you can deduce a lot. Nor am I saying this is something we're entitled as fans to know, as in he must spell it out for us and give a detailed report on a weekly basis. But the overall image is still best expressed by a fancybum's phrase that I use for my signature :shrug:

How will it translate into the show? Sure, Dan and Phil both have become more open since TATINOF, but they're far from being on the same level, as I see it. Not to mention that as opposed to Dan, Phil has very rarely spoken about privacy and his relationship with the audience, although we all know that he might have a good reason to be more upset about the topic than Dan. In any case, as with persona-heavy TATINOF, they'll have to relie on something a safe act this time, too. I'm wondering what it will be.

On a lighter note:
autumnhearth wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:08 pmI watched the first three episodes of the new Queer Eye today (which umm I was around for the original, which started in 2003, not the 90s, Daniel) and haven’t really been emotionally moved yet (in fact I was uncomfortable with them pushing the second guy’s physical boundaries and I feel like the police tension thing with the pull over was completely staged, which detracted from a very important conversation). But I’ll watch a some more. Curious about the best friend thing.
You've probably been informed already, but there's no best friend thing. That was all Dan. So, take of it what you will
I'm not watching Queer Eye and I sure did a double-take when I heard him say that, but now I'm even more delighted by his choice of an example. Not to be a demon, but. what. :philtrash:

DId I hear this correctly and he's still paying off his student loan?
Dan wants to be understood. Phil just wants to make the viewer smile and sell some backpacks (c) fancybum
Stakhanov
haru pillow

sasstronaut wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:26 am I think Dan is just a typical white dude in that he'll read wikipedia articles about something and suddenly believe he's an expert on it. It also doesn't help that his fans gas him up about how eloquent and informed he is~ when he mostly only expresses pretty basic ideas. I don't think he's unintelligent by any means, just that maybe he buys into his own hype sometimes and veers into pseudo-intellectual (and slightly condescending) territory.
Well you chose your name well, seems like you do like to "bring the sass". But, if you will forgive me the sassy retort, it doesn't make what you say sound any better ;)

Granted, like most people on this planet, he's probably guilty of at times taking himself a bit to serious or trying to make an intellectual defense about something that doesn't hold up to scrutiny.
Ironically though, I feel like you are veering into pseudo-intellectual territory right at the start of your post.
What is "a typical white dude"? I'm sure we'll understand that to mean different things and I fail to see how invoking someone's skin color is even relevant for the things you are stating. Are you saying there's something about his skin color that explains why "he'll read wikipedia articles about something and suddenly believe he's an expert on it"? Because it would be interesting to see your actual argument for making that connection, or your explanation for why you think being "a white dude" is relevant to all the conclusions you are drawing. Unless, you know, it's just kind of pseudo-intellectual statement you're making about how you've all figured out who Dan is (socially, culturally, econmically?) and what he believes in ;)

To the best of my knowledge he's rarely claimed to be an expert on anything. Nor do i think he's that "typical". Sure he's human like the rest of us, and a child of his time and his environment - again like the rest of us. But he's not lost his individuality and most of what you say, I can't see how you can reasonably claim to know that about him. Unless you've got information I don't?
sasstronaut
smol bean

Stakhanov wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:06 pm Well you chose your name well, seems like you do like to "bring the sass". But, if you will forgive me the sassy retort, it doesn't make what you say sound any better ;)
speaking of condescension!

And yes, there is something about both his skin color and gender that make him more likely to believe he's an expert on something he has basic knowledge about. White men are socialized to have more confidence in their own intelligence and capability than women and people of color. That's not a pseudo-intellectual argument, it's a fact backed up by many sociological studies and you're welcome to google it. Dan's not immune to socialization no matter how unique and special you think he is. None of us are immune to it; not Dan, not Phil, not me, and not you.

But if I recall correctly, you were also defensive of them hanging out with known racist Felix, so I'm not sure why I'm even bothering responding to you.
vincentian
hobbit hair

thewaytobehappy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:15 am I can't watch Dan's liveshows for more then a minute without rolling my eyes.

+1
sasstronaut wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:26 am I don't think he's unintelligent by any means, just that maybe he buys into his own hype sometimes and veers into pseudo-intellectual (and slightly condescending) territory.
+1
LtrllySusan wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:10 am The only LS thing that makes me wanna roll my eyes is when he gives study advice to uni students. Surely his mental health was a big factor in him failing uni and dropping out, but I still don't see him in a position to tell people good ways to study. Especially when he just admitted staying up till 5am to finish his StopSpeakSupport speech, and when his advice consists of strangly specific things like looking up teachers or studying only part of the curriculum. I don't mind YTers doing the whole generic "Start studying early, be prepared, believe in yourself" speech, but I am not buying what he's saying.
+1
It's nice that people pick up on some of these things, I can totally agree with the ideas expressed in the posts above (also as someone from Dan's age group. Not that age has to be a factor). I have nothing to add, but I think it should be possible to express this kind of criticism without it being viewed as 'hate' or intent to pick on someone's mental health. Also, it's possible to have these opinions and still stay a 'fan', I prefer to write the most annoying stuff off as Dan's sense of humour these days. Or just click off the ls.
Stakhanov
haru pillow

sasstronaut wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:27 pm
Stakhanov wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:06 pm Well you chose your name well, seems like you do like to "bring the sass". But, if you will forgive me the sassy retort, it doesn't make what you say sound any better ;)
speaking of condescension!

And yes, there is something about both his skin color and gender that make him more likely to believe he's an expert on something he has basic knowledge about. White men are socialized to have more confidence in their own intelligence and capability than women and people of color. That's not a pseudo-intellectual argument, it's a fact backed up by many sociological studies and you're welcome to google it. Dan's not immune to socialization no matter how unique and special you think he is. None of us are immune to it; not Dan, not Phil, not me, and not you.

But if I recall correctly, you were also defensive of them hanging out with known racist Felix, so I'm not sure why I'm even bothering responding to you.
Well I find your "typical white dude" very condescending too, so that is why i replied ! I still don't think it sounds any good, but i guess i'm also "bothering" to respond to you.

You state that what you say in bold is a fact and tell me to just google it. That's not a very convincing argument. As a general statement, that almost certainly can't be true. Are you saying that all white men have more confidence in their own intelligence than women and people of colour?
I'm guessing you mean to say that, on average, in the country the study was done white men reported having more confidence about those things. That is however not what you say in your post. So maybe you stand by your rather preposterous claim that every white person ever is socialized to be more confident about these things? If so, I totally reject it.
If you're saying it's an effect that on average is measured, well we'll probably agree. It also means, like i said in my post, that Dan is still a unique individual and not just a part of a social category, so he might be a white man who is not as confident in those things. That's a much more nuanced, murkier statement that doesn't tell us anything about how a particular person will feel. In this case, you seem to be claiming that you can know how Dan will think of himself as an expert like "a typical white dude" would. That is just your own opinion, which I disagree with. You don't know Dan's experience and you can't claim to know how every "typical white dude" thinks. So I still think that everything you say based on those reasons is very much an attribution about his character that you make on pseudo-intellectual grounds.

I also reject the idea that because there are measured effects of socialization that differ according to your gender or ethnicity, you have provided adequate explanation for what you bring up. In the social sciences, there are many forces all at once active upon the individual. Socialization, environment or sociology as a science do not explain things to a degree that you can make specific claims like "he thinks he's an expert on everything because he's a white dude" or that somebody expresses only basic ideas. If you have any study that says that, please do inform me. And since you are saying that these specific claims are true on the basis of this supposed science and research, I will not google it. You make the claim on these grounds, you provide the sources and evidence which your claim depends on...
Last edited by Stakhanov on Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

Stakhanov wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:57 pm And since you are saying that these specific claims are true on the basis of this supposed science and research, I will not google it. You make the claim on these grounds, you provide the sources and evidence which your claim depends on.
Sorry to jump on you guys' conversation, Stakhanov and sasstronaut, but that is....very confusing to me. You are provided with some facts and told to Google it if you don't believe, and your response is that because they are "supposed" facts, you....won't look it up? Again, apologies, but I'm very curious(confused)and would like some clarification on what you're saying here