Other YouTubers thread

captainspacecoat
stress mushroom
Pronouns: she/her

Does anyone else watch Colleen Ballinger? I used to watch her vlogs regularly about five years ago but haven't kept up with her for ages (aside from vaguely following her divorce, which was intense), but I saw this video in my subscriptions and watched out of curiosity.

I really appreciated it! For context, her username was 'Psycho Soprano', and she's just now changed it to her real name because it was insensitive to people with mental illness. I thought it was a really refreshing example of a youtuber apologising sincerely for their ignorance, out of a genuine desire to be a better person. She takes full responsibility whilst admitting her ignorance, apologises for offence caused rather than saying something flaky like "sorry if you were offended", and does her best to explain why exactly the term is harmful to people with mental illness. She recognised that despite not at all intending to be offensive when she chose the name, it still could have come across as offensive to many people, and I really respect her for taking steps to make a change. She does ramble a bit (you could probably watch just the first few minutes and get the gist), but I really appreciated how concerned she was about the issue and how sincerely she came across, and it's just nice to see a youtuber apologise unprompted.

Edit: oh no, top of the page again!! I was so sick of seeing my post at the top of the last page, and now I have to deal with it again for another page, smh
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

Anyone watched the new Logan Paul video? My facebook feed has articles like " The new vid made us CRY watch now!" but......... no, right? Like.. he's not worth crying over. I admit, I haven't see the vid because I don't want to give him a click, nor have I clicked the articles because I don't want to give them clickes for that junk either.
fancybum
senpai

MythicalPinkTrashCan wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:16 pm Anyone watched the new Logan Paul video? My facebook feed has articles like " The new vid made us CRY watch now!" but......... no, right? Like.. he's not worth crying over. I admit, I haven't see the vid because I don't want to give him a click, nor have I clicked the articles because I don't want to give them clickes for that junk either.
Nope and I don’t plan on it because as Dan said: why would I. I’ve never watched him and certainly don’t plan to start now.
But this is a good thread: So for all the unfortunate 9 year olds people who do watch him, hopefully he does actually become more of a human being going forward. I won’t hold my breath, though.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I have never watched a Logan Paul video and don't intend on starting now. I guess the internet will keep me updated on whether he goes on being a douchebag again or not, just like it has done for the past few months. Oh how I miss the times when I had never heard of this fucker and his brother... so like 8 months ago or something.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
kavat
pastel persona

I couldn't help myself when I saw people talking about it so I watched it. It's made like a mini documentary with Logan walking around looking pensive, washing his hands in slomo (such symbolism, wow) and sad music. He talks to people with real experience, like experts and a man who jumped off a bridge and survived. The conversations he has are actually good, it seems that he is there to learn. He said how suicide is something he had never thought of, he didn't know anyone who had taken their life or was otherwise effected by it and just didn't understand what it was about. He ends the whole video saying he will donate $1m to suicide prevention charities.

Like I said, it's very well made, the video quality and editing is clearly professional. His team must have hired a production company for this. Logan probably is very sorry and wants to learn but like that Twitter thread said: this was not his only mistake. He have to change all of his content and probably lose his core audience to get back any respect from his peers.

Side note:
I just wanna mention something Hank Green talked about in his podcast. When the whole Logan thing came out he decided to trace back the origin of the info that showed up in his feed. Because it took 24h and millions of views before people started talking about it. So he traced it back, asked "who did you hear this from" back to the person who had first seen it and thought it was horrible. That person admitted that they were a hate watcher, subscribed to Logan but didn't like him. That person told someone who told someone who had millions of Twitter followers and that's how it got public. That's really interesting and shows how important it is to fill our social feeds with different kinds of people, not just people we like and share opinions with.
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

kavat wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:53 am
Side note:
I just wanna mention something Hank Green talked about in his podcast. When the whole Logan thing came out he decided to trace back the origin of the info that showed up in his feed. Because it took 24h and millions of views before people started talking about it. So he traced it back, asked "who did you hear this from" back to the person who had first seen it and thought it was horrible. That person admitted that they were a hate watcher, subscribed to Logan but didn't like him. That person told someone who told someone who had millions of Twitter followers and that's how it got public. That's really interesting and shows how important it is to fill our social feeds with different kinds of people, not just people we like and share opinions with.
this is fascinating, thank you for sharing.
art in avatar by lily
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

Hopefully he actually has realized what a douche he was and is actually gonna change his life and use his platform for good now, but my hopes are low and I acknowledge that it is all PR.

Re: Hank Green. Yeah..... but also I’m tired. I can’t fight the fight 24/7. I like having a bubble of safety to an extent.
kavat
pastel persona

MythicalPinkTrashCan wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:56 am Re: Hank Green. Yeah..... but also I’m tired. I can’t fight the fight 24/7. I like having a bubble of safety to an extent.
I 100% get that, I'm the same way most of the time. I've divided it up a bit, so my tumblr feed is mostly pretty gifs and funny memes while my twitter feed is more diverse and opinionated. That way I can choose a bit what my head can take that day.

I think it's and important conversation though, because a lot of us get our main news and opinions from our social feeds today and that means that we can miss important things just because the people we follow aren't talking about it. It also gives you a wider understanding of where people are coming from and why they behave like they do. I'm not saying everyone has to fill their feed with Trump supporters or Logangsters, just to be aware of your bubble and maybe reach out of it sometimes.
pearshaped34
morning quiff

I was blissfully unaware of Logan Paul's existence before this controversy so I am definitely not about to start watching his videos and rewarding him with more views because of it.

I did however watch jaackmaates review of his "comeback" video and from the clips from the video on their I legitimately think I'd struggle to stomach it if I watched the whole thing. I have zero interest in his (likely fake) "growth" as a person.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

This is wild. I feel bad for the guy. I don't know anything else about him (this is the only vid of his I've watched), but he seems like a good dude and he handled that video really well.

pearshaped34
morning quiff

Anyone watch Thomas Sanders?

I kind of go up and down with him (usually in the course of a singular video). I like his shorts and I like his concepts for his longer youtube stuff but his videos tend to always have an overall message that is always just a bit too after school special for my tastes. And yet I still continually watch all his stuff.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

pearshaped34 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:53 pm Anyone watch Thomas Sanders?

I kind of go up and down with him (usually in the course of a singular video). I like his shorts and I like his concepts for his longer youtube stuff but his videos tend to always have an overall message that is always just a bit too after school special for my tastes. And yet I still continually watch all his stuff.
I really like Thomas, but for some reason I don't keep up to date on all his stuff. I tend to not watch anything for a long period, and then binge watch a bunch of his videos all at once. I think he's got a great sense of humour and seems like a really nice and genuine guy. I can see what you mean about the 'after school special' thing, but I tend to find it pretty sweet and also reassuring. He's got the same kind of 'relatable' thing going on as Dan, but executed in a complete opposite way (in the sense that Dan is extremely sarcastic and self-deprecating, while Thomas is more sweet and soft and presents in a similar way to Phil).

I haven't done a binge watch of his stuff in a while though, so these comments could all be out of date by now.
kavat
pastel persona

Simone Giertz just released the first episode of her new project and it's amazing. She should have her own TV-show by now.

smartcookie
drama llama

kavat wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:33 pm Simone Giertz just released the first episode of her new project and it's amazing. She should have her own TV-show by now.

She has had her own TV-show! She and another guy (Adrian? He could have been named Adrian) hosted a show called “manick” on Swedish TV6 last autumn! It was great, loads of fun!
everything sucks forever
kavat
pastel persona

smartcookie wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:30 pm
She has had her own TV-show! She and another guy (Adrian? He could have been named Adrian) hosted a show called “manick” on Swedish TV6 last autumn! It was great, loads of fun!
What, how did I miss that?! TV6 is usually garbage though, maybe that's why... :oops:
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Not sure if anyone else really watches or pays attention to Ryan Higa on here, but I really loved the video he posted today. Maybe that's mostly because nintendo was such an important part of my childhood and that Ryan was one of the first youtubers I ever watched/subbed to, but I thought it was equal parts clever, hilarious and literally insanely well-crafted.

Amiaw
interactive introvert

obsessivelymoody wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:13 am Not sure if anyone else really watches or pays attention to Ryan Higa on here, but I really loved the video he posted today. Maybe that's mostly because nintendo was such an important part of my childhood and that Ryan was one of the first youtubers I ever watched/subbed to, but I thought it was equal parts clever, hilarious and literally insanely well-crafted.

I was just talking about this video yesterday. This video was amazing and Ryan consistently puts out creative, fun videos. This wasn't as funny as some of his other videos but the origami and stop motion, combined with the editing, were great.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

Did anyone watch Emily Hayward's latest video? Fuck.
alien
procrastinator

whatdoiknow wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:45 pm Did anyone watch Emily Hayward's latest video? Fuck.
First and foremost I wish she didn't have cancer obviously. But secondly I wish I had heard about her sooner because I love her personality and this is the first video I've ever seen of hers. It feels incredibly morbid to subscribe now (even though she did say to at the end of her video). Anyway, are you ok? I can imagine it can be quite difficult to hear this news from someone you've been watching and grown to like.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

alien wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:11 am
whatdoiknow wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:45 pm Did anyone watch Emily Hayward's latest video? Fuck.
First and foremost I wish she didn't have cancer obviously. But secondly I wish I had heard about her sooner because I love her personality and this is the first video I've ever seen of hers. It feels incredibly morbid to subscribe now (even though she did say to at the end of her video). Anyway, are you ok? I can imagine it can be quite difficult to hear this news from someone you've been watching and grown to like.
I just feel so bad for her and her girlfriend (and all her friends and family). She's such a positive person and it sucks that this has to happen to someone like her (it sucks that it has to happen to anyone obviously). But yeah, it's just really sad. I hope things get better.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

whatdoiknow wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:33 am
I just feel so bad for her and her girlfriend (and all her friends and family). She's such a positive person and it sucks that this has to happen to someone like her (it sucks that it has to happen to anyone obviously). But yeah, it's just really sad. I hope things get better.
Yesterday's video destroyed me. I've been watching her for just over a year and when I started she was doing so well and she was so optimistic about how that treatment had stopped all cancer growth and she was vibrant and living her life and feeling great and bodybuilding like she's always dreaming of doing. She's still vibrant, and she's still living her life, but she doesn't deserve not to get to have all those years ahead of her that she thought she might.

Aisha's so amazing, too. They're both so young to have to be dealing with this. I keep thinking, whoever out there has Aisha in their life in any way is just damn lucky.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:54 pm
whatdoiknow wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:33 am
Yesterday's video destroyed me. I've been watching her for just over a year and when I started she was doing so well and she was so optimistic about how that treatment had stopped all cancer growth and she was vibrant and living her life and feeling great and bodybuilding like she's always dreaming of doing. She's still vibrant, and she's still living her life, but she doesn't deserve not to get to have all those years ahead of her that she thought she might.

Aisha's so amazing, too. They're both so young to have to be dealing with this. I keep thinking, whoever out there has Aisha in their life in any way is just damn lucky.
You've said my thoughts exactly. I haven't been watching her for too long, but she just has such a great personality - like you said, she's vibrant. She's had such a tough time for so many years, and yet she's stayed so positive and full of life.

And yeah like you said, Aisha is amazing. They're both so brave, and they're very lucky to have each other.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

Just watched her video from today, and damn they are so uplifting and inspiring. I love how they have a sense of humour about it all and are still able to stay positive.

(sorry for double post)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Excuse my tears.

greenergrass
stress mushroom

alittledizzy wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:23 pm Excuse my tears.

Oh my god. I nearly started crying. I'm so happy for them