Kpop Thread

citizen_erased
truth bomb

Sorry to revive this thread with bad news, but I just heard about SHINee's Jonghyun and I'm crying so hard. I've never been enough of a fan to actually learn who's who in this group, but I have been listening to them since their debut, and they pulled me through many sleepless nights in Kyoto when I went through an especially bad spell of insomnia. Jonghyun's version of Y Si Fuera Ella is to this day one of the most beautiful things to me.
shyabanshi
placenta

citizen_erased wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:50 am Sorry to revive this thread with bad news, but I just heard about SHINee's Jonghyun and I'm crying so hard. I've never been enough of a fan to actually learn who's who in this group, but I have been listening to them since their debut, and they pulled me through many sleepless nights in Kyoto when I went through an especially bad spell of insomnia. Jonghyun's version of Y Si Fuera Ella is to this day one of the most beautiful things to me.
SHINee was the group that got me into K-pop and this news hit me pretty hard... I was in the car on the way home when I heard it from my sister.

Thank you for the memories Jonghyun, rest in peace.

I really love his version of One's Way Back.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

citizen_erased wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:50 am Sorry to revive this thread with bad news, but I just heard about SHINee's Jonghyun and I'm crying so hard. I've never been enough of a fan to actually learn who's who in this group, but I have been listening to them since their debut, and they pulled me through many sleepless nights in Kyoto when I went through an especially bad spell of insomnia. Jonghyun's version of Y Si Fuera Ella is to this day one of the most beautiful things to me.
I'm heartbroken, I wasn't a SHINee stan by any means but I've been listening to them for years and if I had to pick my favorite member it would've been Jonghyun. Aside from being incredibly talented, he was also very kind and for idol standards quite outspoken on social issues. I can't believe he's gone. He'll be missed...
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
papierklemmen
flower crown

fucking hell. shinee were my gateway to kpop back in the day. i haven't been following them or kpop in general for a while but this is still pretty brutal. i remember when a lot of shitstorm was happening in kpop, it always felt like shinee would be the last one standing. alas...
jonghyun was one of the most outspoken people in kpop re: social issues. and just a great talented dude in general. rip :/
000dia000
emo goose

This came at a weird time when I just started listening to SHINee. I'm sorry for everyone that was affected and loved him and his music. I don't know what to say but RIP
:cactus:
iero
phabergé
Pronouns: she/her

shinee were my everything, i've followed them religiously since their debut when i was 13. in my mid teens my walls were filled with pictures of jonghyun. they made me so happy and got me out of dark places. i travelled abroad to see them live. i'm so devastated, i've been crying all day.

jonghyun was such a pure, sweet, humble, compassionate soul. he was openminded and spoke out on social issues that are considered taboo in korea and the idol industry. he was so talented and had a wonderful voice and was an all around wonderful person

i feel broken today :( my head hurts from crying so much
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Translated statement from SM Entertainment.
- All schedules for SM idols have apparently been cleared for the next few days.
- Key was in Portugal but is already on his way back to Korea.
- Variety show Night Goblin which Jonghyun would have appeared on next Sunday has removed the teaser for it, it's likely that it won't air (at least not this week).
- Some of his songs are back on music charts, most notably End Of A Day and Lonely.

Here's a compilation of idols reacting to Jonghyun's death on social media.

For many older idols he was a friend or at least a respected colleague, for many younger idols he was their inspiration for becoming a singer. He was really an industry icon.

Since hearing the news I've just been feeling a bit numb and not really sure what to say, but now it's really sinking in. RIP Kim Jonghyun. My heart is with his family, friends and members.. I hope they have good support systems.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
papierklemmen
flower crown

onew and key are also known to have had mental health/depression issues, i hope they get through it.
citizen_erased
truth bomb

I honestly don't think I've cried this much over a famous person since Robin Williams. My head hurts so much (doesn't help that at the same time the news broke, my brother was admitted to the hospital. He's alright, but suffice to say it's been an emotional day).

But oh man, I'm so sorry that in 9 years of knowing this group I never really learned more about them. From what I gathered today, he was a very kind person who really cared about helping other people & defending minority groups. So sad to see such a bright light gone. I hope the rest of the members, his family, friends, and everyone else are taking care of themselves and each other after this.
jaej
moon room
Pronouns: he/they/idm

with everything jonghyun said about wanting to be happy and struggling, this all feels especially disheartening and upsetting. he was incredibly talented, dedicated and someone who really cared about helping other people feel a bit less alone. he was a big part of so many people's young teenage lives, including my own, and i really do think he helped people to grow and try to be happy. i'm beyond devastated that he couldn't feel the way he wanted to. he really deserved happiness.
my name is jaejmine masters and i have something to say. dan and phil have fucked up japan :japhan:
phil lester threw the first brick at stonewall, we love a queer icon :biflag:
RiriPandaHeart2
phabergé

Shinee wiill continue Japan Dome Concerts

I didn't expect them to return for a minimum time of at least 6 months to a year, if they were ever to return. Even if I didn't want it to happen, i honestly thought they would disband. So imagine my shock when this news came out. I'm happy for the fans, but I'm worried for the remaining members. At the same time, it might help them to see their fans and grieve together. But I'm not really sure if it was the right thing to do or not or if this is the right timing to continue. But at the end of the day, I think they need the support of their fans, full Shawols or not, so we should just continue supporting them.

Their letters (particularly Taemin's), make it seem as though they're continuing on as Shinee and not just for the Japan Dome concerts. I'm in complete awe of their strength. It must have been a really tough decision. Tbh, I don't think I'm emotionally prepared to see them as only 4, but it's reality's bitter pill we have to swallow. :(

Is it bad of me to wish that during the concerts they won't cover Jonghyun's parts and keep his place in the choreography even if it's weird to do so? (a la Bigbang when a member is missing, and not like SNSD post-Jessica). I know they're a dance group and the aesthetics of their choreography is dependent on them as 5, but, I just don't really want to see Jonghyun's spot filled. Would such give off a feeling like he's still there even when he isn't? Or would that actually just highlight his absence? :?

Also, I want to end this post with a heartfelt thank you to Jonghyun's mom. She experienced a great deal of pain at the loss of her son, and yet it was still her who encouraged Shinee members to continue on. She is one of the strongest people I know and I want to salute her for that. :love1:
P: What are you doing?

D: I'm feeding it to you.

P: Why is it so slow?
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I just really really hope that they're doing this out of free will and not because of pressure from SM or whoever manages their Japanese activities. But even so. It's only been three weeks since Jonghyun's death... I'm worried that they're making decisions, putting out statements and are now preparing for concerts instead of grieving at this vulnerable stage. I totally get that perhaps working towards these concerts could be a way for them to mourn and process everything together. But by the time these dates come around it will still have only been two months. And then they'll have to stand there without him. It's such a short amount of time. I know the situations are very different, but I can't help but think off Ladies Code and how they took more than a year off after the accident where they lost EunB and RiSE. Of course they had their own injuries and trauma from the accident to recover from on top of mourning, but it does make the time SHINee is getting/taking seem even shorter.

I also wonder about what they'll do about choreography formations and Jonghyun;s parts in their songs as well. I don't think either option is gonna be more or less painful than the other. In the end, the concerts will revolve around Jonghyun's absence no matter what they do.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
citizen_erased
truth bomb

oh god, reading those letters just made me cry again. I thought I was doing alright, dammit. I also feel really weird about 3 weeks already having passed. It still feels so recent? Maybe because I've been very busy and in a very weird headspace for those 3 weeks.

Secondly, I agree about your worries. I, too, wondered if SM is maybe pushing them. I may have been out of the kpop scene for years, but I definitely did not miss out on some of the sm scandals like the lawsuits and the violation of human rights. I don't trust this company at all, they're the epitome of "treating your artists like money-making objects" and I'm pretty much worried about every single artist signed with them. I just hope shinee are taking care of themselves and each other. I can't even begin to imagine what this is like for them. Good to hear they're in contact with Jonghyun's family though, I hope they're all sticking together and finding comfort there.

In other news, I've gone full on BTS trash and am now driving everyone in my vicinity mad because I keep going "oh that reminds me of the time this korean group did this thing" :lol: I hope hobi's really releasing his mixtape sometime soon, I'm really curious to find out what kind of music he'd make solo (even though I'm not a big fan of namjoon and yoongi's mixtapes)
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I wanted to share this part from IU's speech from the Golden Disk Awards where she mentioned Jonghyun's passing, how idols are humans with feelings and that that is natural and basically the importance of self care. It made me a bit emotional when I read it.

And a bit of heartwarming heartbreak: Red Velvet's Yeri cried during IU's performance and aside from her own members was comforted by Twice's Nayeon and AKMU's Suhyun. BLACKPINK seemed to be watching over her as well. Yeri seems to be having a tough time, she was apparently close to Jonghyun and was upset Gayo Daejun as well to the point where her members surrounded her to shield her away from the cameras. It's nice to see see that even if companies stay shitty and stigma surrounding mental health probably won't improve, idols will keep supporting each other when needed.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
RiriPandaHeart2
phabergé

I've also had those thoughts that maybe they're not doing it out of their own free will, and from a cursory survey of Twitter & FB & some forums, some Shawols also think the same. The members' letters do show hesitation at performing again, so I do think it's viable. Despite being YG-centric, I do encounter and believe criticisms of SM's treatment and handling of their artists (which makes me sometimes feel less angry at YG when I'm boiling mad at him for how he's treating his non-faves in the agency, particularly how he handled Nam Tae Hyun). But somehow, and maybe born out of naivety, I would like to think that this was a shock of such magnitude, having lost such a valuable artist, that hopefully maybe SM or it's counterpart in Japan wouldn't pressure the remaining members of Shinee too much (especially Onew) because they might lose Shinee altogether if they make them have schedules when they're not ready . I'm not a Shawol, so I'm far from being an authority on Shinee, but from what I see, the members, especially from what I know of Key, could have been sincere in wanting to perform again, as a way of distraction perhaps? As they say, it's easier to forget problems when you're busy. Though I know that having to practice and then perform as a distraction wouldn't really work because they'd be reminded of Jonghyun a lot. But then, I imagine that having lived, trained, and worked together for almost 10 years as idols + the 2-3 years of training, they're reminded in their daily lives anyway (especially Onew and Minho who, and someone pls. correct me if I'm wrong, are still living in the Shinee dormitory where they surely have lots of memories together). I do wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment however, that if they were really doing this out of their free will, that it's too early to do this, and that they should have taken more time to heal and rest. Time away from the fame is what they need the most right now. :( But as it's decided already, I guess, the least people can do is support them. :?

I've tried to get a sense of the feel of how it is when they performed before as 4. It felt off then, and those were just temporary absences, what more now. :( Example under the spoiler:
I hope they'll get through this round of concerts. And I really hope that this will help them mentally and emotionally instead of further hurting them. :(

I'm still a bit in denial I think. For the past 3 weeks I've been "rediscovering" Shinee, watching their variety shows and listening to their music, particularly their stint in Hello Baby which I've watched at least 3x already. Jonghyun just seems so vibrant in these shows that it's weird, in a way that I can't fully articulate, to think that he's gone forever.

IU's speech was a blessing. I do hope that with Jonghyun being so respected and loved in the industry, things might start changing, but I do acknowledge that that's just wishful and naive thinking on my part. But for the idols' sake, I really hope that the industry and the agencies will be treating their artists better from now on.

I'm glad that the other idols were there for Yeri. Idols are the best people to understand other idols' sentiments and troubles so I hope they continue to be there for each other.

Today's GDA also did a tribute for Jonghyun and Lee Hi was asked to sing "Breathe", a song composed by Jonghyun. I've always liked Breathe a lot since I heard it, which was before I knew that Jonghyun composed it. I cried again today because of it. If anyone hasn't heard of it yet, I strongly recommend looking it up and listening to it. Video of tribute + Lee Hi's performance under the spoiler:

Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Yesterday was a month since Jonghyun's passing. It's still so hard to believe he's gone...

SM announced they'll release Jonghyun's last album 'Poet' on the 23rd. The music video that was filmed days before he died will also be released.

To maybe move this thread into more lighthearted territory, BBC Radio 1 made a documentary about kpop. It's uh... very shallow and pretty cringe at some parts. But some of you might enjoy it, especially if you like BTS considering the focus on them is pretty heavy. There's an interview with the group at the end.

I wouldn't have watched this if it weren't for the mother of After School's Kaeun giving an interview about her daughter, everything that goes into becoming an idol and how it's not as glamorous as it seems on TV . As if I haven't been angry enough at Pledis and the way they treat my girls this week... But I'd really like to see a full cut of that interview. Kaeun's mom seems lovely, I'm glad Playgirlz support for her daughter reaches her.

The other interviews were somewhat interesting I guess, but it's mostly all pretty basic stuff people with an interest in kpop would already know. I wouldn't call it a great introduction either though. Just a bit of a half assed effort :shrug:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
citizen_erased
truth bomb

Catallena wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:54 pm Yesterday was a month since Jonghyun's passing. It's still so hard to believe he's gone...

SM announced they'll release Jonghyun's last album 'Poet' on the 23rd. The music video that was filmed days before he died will also be released.
I know, it's really hard to believe he's really gone. I'm glad to see the money raised through the album's sales is going to his mom and to charity (apparently?). I 100% expected SM to bank off of this, so this is a nice surprise.

In other also happier news, did you guys see the teaser for the debut single of a new idol, Holland? From what I've seen, he's (one of?) the first openly gay idols. Though his name is going to be super confusing to me as a Dutch person (and also generally hard to search for.) But I'm really curious about what this is going to be like, if there's going to be much backlash or if this opens up a pathway for other idols to come out. I'm also a bit worried the gay thing is going to become like a gimmick, like his 'thing' that everything revolves around and that's exaggerated to make more money.

But honestly, this, combined with Loona Chuu's super gay video for Heart Attack, gives me a lot of hope for this year in terms of lgbt acceptance in korea. (Also Heart Attack is super catchy and cute)
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

citizen_erased wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:12 pm
Catallena wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:54 pm Yesterday was a month since Jonghyun's passing. It's still so hard to believe he's gone...

I know, it's really hard to believe he's really gone. I'm glad to see the money raised through the album's sales is going to his mom and to charity (apparently?). I 100% expected SM to bank off of this, so this is a nice surprise.

In other also happier news, did you guys see the teaser for the debut single of a new idol, Holland? From what I've seen, he's (one of?) the first openly gay idols. Though his name is going to be super confusing to me as a Dutch person (and also generally hard to search for.) But I'm really curious about what this is going to be like, if there's going to be much backlash or if this opens up a pathway for other idols to come out. I'm also a bit worried the gay thing is going to become like a gimmick, like his 'thing' that everything revolves around and that's exaggerated to make more money.
But honestly, this, combined with Loona Chuu's super gay video for Heart Attack, gives me a lot of hope for this year in terms of lgbt acceptance in korea. (Also Heart Attack is super catchy and cute)
I saw this and I'm very interested in the reaction he'll get from the general public. But I'm also a bit worried about for the same reasons you stated. The way he's being hyped up as the first openly gay idol while telling us nothing about him or his music is questionable and feels like shitty mediaplay. Stan Twitter already got his back (as expected) but they don't actually buy music and just scream into the abyss a bit. But I hope everything goes well for him.

I loved Heart Attack! LOONA has slowly been impressing me more and more, I'm excited for their debut.

Also I just watched this and it was incredible so I had to share. Former 2AM member Jo Kwon dancing with Lia Kim from 1Million Dance Studio IN HEELS. I need more male idols in cute glittery ankle boots!

and if you want some more of that but in tight jeans

Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
RiriPandaHeart2
phabergé

Jonghyun's Poet | Artist is out. Just finish listening to all 11 songs. And they're all really good. <3 I'm not yet sure what my fave is, but they're all mostly bops, except "Before Our Spring" which made me teary-eyed already even before reading the translation. I already pre-ordered the album from a friend who has experience in buying physical albums (I actually never did before. I just usually streamed), so I hope I'll have a physical copy of it soon. :ribena:

His MV for Shinin is out too. It's visually pleasing. It reminds me of She Is, except that She Is was more of pastel-ly colors, while this one is muted colors with glittery effect. But I really like it. <3

Apparently there's going to be an MV for Before Our Spring which will be released tomorrow. Shawols I follow are debating whether the MV is one which Jonghyun shot or if it's a memorial. :(

Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I watched Shinin' and liked it. The song is nice, the shiny effect on the MV looks angelic... how very appropriate. I've seen people say that Jonghyun had a weird look in his eyes and seemed off in the MV but tbh I didn't notice it. But I've never kept up closely enough with him to really be able to judge so I won't.

I doubt I'll listen to the entire album but I'll check Before Our Spring when the MV is released. I read SonexStella's translation on Twitter and I didn't cry... but I'll definitely cry with the song and MV. I think like it'll be a tribute video simply because at the time only one MV was reported to have been filmed so... it'll probably be a bit like the Ladies' Code - I'm Fine Thank You video where they just show clips of him just being lovely and great.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
citizen_erased
truth bomb

I did listen to the album but I was getting ready for/on my way to work at the same time so I couldn't really form a good opinion yet, but so far it's okay? I'm not super impressed yet, but it could very well be that I'm still suppressing all the depressed Feels and also it might just have to grow on me a bit. Or maybe it's just not my thing, only time can tell. I did see a tracklist on tumblr that also mentioned which songs he wrote/composed and honestly, I'm glad to see most of his final album he did himself. I hope he was proud of it. He should be, he obviously really did work hard on it.
Catallena wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:36 am I saw this and I'm very interested in the reaction he'll get from the general public. But I'm also a bit worried about for the same reasons you stated. The way he's being hyped up as the first openly gay idol while telling us nothing about him or his music is questionable and feels like shitty mediaplay. Stan Twitter already got his back (as expected) but they don't actually buy music and just scream into the abyss a bit. But I hope everything goes well for him.
I've seen Holland's video idk, twice? now. Again, wasn't that super impressed, he definitely came across to me as someone who still has so much to learn and grow. Maybe I'm just getting old :lol: I'm seeing a lot of 'stop fetishizing Holland!' on my tumblr dash and none of the actual fetishizing, so uhh, well done on that tumblr :lol: :lol: :lol: he's definitely getting a LOT of attention though, both from (international) mainstream media and social media. Most from what I've seen seems to be positive, even if literally only about his being gay and never about his music, which as an artist must kinda suck tbh. I wouldn't want to be reduced to my sexuality right from the beginning (or ever).

did you say you need more male idols in cute glittery ankle boots?
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

A really nice tribute MV and a really beautiful song, I definitely cried a bit. The footage from Juliette era in the MV was the hardest to watch for some reason. The song feels like a goodbye letter and it's really upsetting that he felt like that for so long...
citizen_erased wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:21 pm
Catallena wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:36 am I saw this and I'm very interested in the reaction he'll get from the general public. But I'm also a bit worried about for the same reasons you stated. The way he's being hyped up as the first openly gay idol while telling us nothing about him or his music is questionable and feels like shitty mediaplay. Stan Twitter already got his back (as expected) but they don't actually buy music and just scream into the abyss a bit. But I hope everything goes well for him.
I've seen Holland's video idk, twice? now. Again, wasn't that super impressed, he definitely came across to me as someone who still has so much to learn and grow. Maybe I'm just getting old :lol: I'm seeing a lot of 'stop fetishizing Holland!' on my tumblr dash and none of the actual fetishizing, so uhh, well done on that tumblr :lol: :lol: :lol: he's definitely getting a LOT of attention though, both from (international) mainstream media and social media. Most from what I've seen seems to be positive, even if literally only about his being gay and never about his music, which as an artist must kinda suck tbh. I wouldn't want to be reduced to my sexuality right from the beginning (or ever).

did you say you need more male idols in cute glittery ankle boots?
Holland surprised me as in he sounded significantly less bad than I expected him to after the teasers. Not great, but maybe he just needs some training and I won't pretend I care about vocals when I've been hyping Sunmi and Chungha all week. The song was bland, but pleasant I guess. The kiss in the MV had me shook tho, even hetero couples don't get that into it videos or even dramas. Seems like they knew that they were gonna get that 19+ rating anyway so they said fuck it and just went for it.

And yes good, but I need moar. As like an actual performance. And preferably not a Boy's Day - Something kind of thing either, even though that performance is iconic. @ SVT Performance Unit what's ya'lls reason for existing if I don't at least get Hoshi but preferably Jun in heels hm?
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Double post to revive this thread for a bit, just to fangirl about Dreamcatcher for a bit because I love them. <3

I went to their concert in Amsterdam on Wednesday and they were absolutely amazing. I've really been having trouble with finding a 3rd generation girl group who checks all the boxes for me in terms of music, vocals, choreography, concept, visuals, personalities, and charisma but I can now really say that Dreamcatcher is that group for me. The only thing that needs improvement for me was their styling, though it seems like the Amsterdam show just got a particularly boring grey school uniform stage outfit even compared to other tour stops.

Obviously they don't have a very large discography yet so they filled up some time with their covers of Into The New World and Lucky Strike among others. Their ballads are every bit as lovely as the rock songs they're known for, there's no truly bad singer in the group and it showed in those performances. I gotta admit that definitely not all of it was live, especially their tracks that with intense choreography most likely had a strong backing track running. Which brings me to their choreo... it is every bit as impressive and amazing live on stage as it is in videos. They're so energetic and in sync, it's super satisfying to watch.

And all of them are so lovable and funny. My bias is still Siyeon (she said 'ik hou van jou' to the audience twice it was really cute), but I walked away with a new appreciation for all of them. Especially Gahyeon, she's a gem. They're all super pretty as well.

STAN TALENT STAN DREAMCATCHER. :stan:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
jaej
moon room

it's been over a year since jaejoong's album repackage was meant to come out and we're 3 months into 2018 with no mention yet of when his 2 2018 albums are meant to be released but he's just got 2 kittens and i think now he's fully retired and changing career from idol to cat dad

he's also finally getting on japanese tv for the first time in 8 years so it looks like the japanese album is coming out first and he'll stay promoting somewhere when he can actually promote
my name is jaejmine masters and i have something to say. dan and phil have fucked up japan :japhan:
jaej
moon room

i love my excellent dads