Dan & Phil Part 67: Laughter, Food and Sex

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

phillyforgot wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:12 pm I really think it's interesting that Dan and Phil themselves dislike audience participation, but try and engage their audience in their stage show. It just confuses me. :shrug:
Yup. "Interesting" is a nice way to put it, you could use less kind words to describe their inconsistent attitude towards audience participation. Though i guess you could also say that everything depends on the voluntary vs "forced" aspect of the participation. Even then it's still true that they depend upon people wanting to exactly what they say they fear so much - participate.
I don't believe you can ever really be "forced" to participate in a show, what they're talking about is the subjective degree by which people would feel pressured to participate as an audience. You can be called out, but nobody can make you walk up that stage or respond to any sort of question. So I don't think that "Forced" is the right word for what they are describing. Pressured seems more accurate.
If you do a show, you can't really tailor it to the people who don't like to be asked to say something, or get on stage. After all plenty of people would just enjoy audience participation and maybe even expect it, and you can't read on someone's face whether they'd to participate or not (stage lights are blinding and you can barely see a face to start with :D).

Hm. I'm not sure but weren't D&P going to work with this note notes system where everybody, upon entering the venue, could indicate if they wanted to participate or not? That's a great system and I think it's a good move on their part considering how many people in the fandom have very strong feelings on 'forced' audience participation. It's pretty rare though to do something like that. I've never encountered any kind of system like it in any show I've been to. I think it's one of those funny quirks that make a D&P tour a D&P tour :mrgreen:

Tbh watching that clip I don't believe anymore that they themselves are scared of audience participation. Maybe in the past they were, but It is hard for me to take them seriously and believe that they would have such strong negative feelings about it. They are now doing a second world wide tour where they are on the planks, constantly engaging with an audience, doing meet and greets with hundreds of strangers etc... They are putting themselves out there.
So It would be odd to me that they would still feel that strongly about audience participation. I think whatever anxious feeling they may have had about it before, they must have conquered that. What they are doing by performing before thousands of people, months on end is much more confronting and intense.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop
Pronouns: she/her

I'm not sure I get what you're on about, @Stakhanov. Nothing about what they've said so far has given me the impression that audience participation in this case would entail any of the audience members coming on stage. I also doubt they'd risk giving anyone the chance to speak during the show because that would be out of their control.
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

Stakhanov wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:14 am Yup. "Interesting" is a nice way to put it, you could use less kind words to describe their inconsistent attitude towards audience participation. Though i guess you could also say that everything depends on the voluntary vs "forced" aspect of the participation. Even then it's still true that they depend upon people wanting to exactly what they say they fear so much - participate.
I think that's unfair. When have they ever pressured anyone to be involved with their shows? They were talking about circuses that select members of the audience at random and bring them onstage, which is fuckin terrifying to me lmao. But that's not something they've ever done in their own performances. At tatinof a) they never invited audience members on stage and b) any audience participation was voluntarily arranged beforehand, and I assume it'll be the same at II. The two can't be compared, and I don't see what's inconsistent about it?

Stakhanov wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:14 am Watching that clip, tbh, I don't believe any more that they themselves are that scared of audience participation. Maybe in the past they were, but It is hard for me to take them seriously that they would have such a strong negative feeling about it, considering that they are now doing a second world wide tour where they are on the planks, constantly engaging with an audience, doing meet and greets with hundreds of strangers etc...
Yes it would be odd to me that they would still feel that way about audience participation themselves. I think whatever anxious feeling they had about it before, they must have mostly conquered that. What they are doing by performing before thousands of people, months on end, is much more confronting and intense.
It's very different. There's a huge difference between performing in their very own stage show, on their own terms, which they're being paid for, in front of people who definitely like them and came to see them perform live, and being pulled up on stage without being prepared in front of thousands of strangers who don't know who you are with no idea of what you're expected to do and a high likelihood of embarrassing yourself. Just because they're confident at performing their own show doesn't mean they'd feel comfortable with forced audience participation under different circumstances.
Stakhanov
haru pillow

somethingsketchy wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:26 am I'm not sure I get what you're on about, @Stakhanov. Nothing about what they've said so far has given me the impression that audience participation in this case would entail any of the audience members coming on stage. I also doubt they'd risk giving anyone the chance to speak during the show because that would be out of their control.
It was just an observation and imo they're a bit inconsistent about it but I don't really mind. Content is just slow so I was wondering what they show would be like. You're right they haven't said that audience members would be coming on stage. They haven't revealed much. I wasn't thinking about people being pulled on stage just audience participation in general with people being asked to go on stage as an 'extreme' example.
It will be interesting to see if they do ask people on stage... the whole concept of the show is pretty vague and fluid to me. Time for Phil to talk about it damnit, they are so quiet.

captainspacecoat wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:30 am
I think that's unfair. When have they ever pressured anyone to be involved with their shows? They were talking about circuses that select members of the audience at random and bring them onstage, which is fuckin terrifying to me lmao. But that's not something they've ever done in their own performances. At tatinof a) they never invited audience members on stage and b) any audience participation was voluntarily arranged beforehand, and I assume it'll be the same at II. The two can't be compared, and I don't see what's inconsistent about it?

It's very different. There's a huge difference between performing in their very own stage show, on their own terms, which they're being paid for, in front of people who definitely like them and came to see them perform live, and being pulled up on stage without being prepared in front of thousands of strangers who don't know who you are with no idea of what you're expected to do and a high likelihood of embarrassing yourself. Just because they're confident at performing their own show doesn't mean they'd feel comfortable with forced audience participation under different circumstances.

Well I don't attach too much weight to it, and it's just my opinion, based in part on the idea that i think they like to play up their own antisocial-social awkward tendenices a bit for show (they are telling the story on the BBC for entertainment purposes, I feel). But I do think it's a fair comparison. The inconstancy here imo is that they are very quick to use really strong words like 'forced' for audience participation situations they describe but will to an extent have to rely on the technique to keep their own show entertaining - much like TATINOF and possibly even more. The example they talk about in the clip here does involve asking people to come on stage, but I think Dan // Phil have talked in other instances as well (without 'stage pulling') how they don't like to participate in shows.
You're right that the situation isn't the same and there's no way to know how they genuinely feel about it, but to me it would just be odd that something i think requires a lot of 'bravoure' like performing a live show in front of thousands, would be something they have proven to be able to do while being pulled on stage (and again everybody has the choice to go on stage or not in the end - it's not like security will pull you on there or something) to me, sounds a lot less intimidating. But who knows ofc.
Stakhanov
haru pillow

btw does anyone else occasionally have the problem that the little field activates that pops up when you do an @ ... mention of someone and it just doesn't go away and always reappears even if you press enter to complete the mention?
dancy
procrastinator

Stakhanov wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:14 am Yup. "Interesting" is a nice way to put it, you could use less kind words to describe their inconsistent attitude towards audience participation. Though i guess you could also say that everything depends on the voluntary vs "forced" aspect of the participation. Even then it's still true that they depend upon people wanting to exactly what they say they fear so much - participate.
I don't believe you can ever really be "forced" to participate in a show, what they're talking about is the subjective degree by which people would feel pressured to participate as an audience. You can be called out, but nobody can make you walk up that stage or respond to any sort of question. So I don't think that "Forced" is the right word for what they are describing. Pressured seems more accurate.
If you do a show, you can't really tailor it to the people who don't like to be asked to say something, or get on stage. After all plenty of people would just enjoy audience participation and maybe even expect it, and you can't read on someone's face whether they'd to participate or not (stage lights are blinding and you can barely see a face to start with :D).
D&P have already said multiple times that there will be many ways for the audience to interact with the show without being singled out or asked to go up on a stage (which I think is the kind of audience participation they dislike). I really can't see them asking for any volunteers, nevermind forcing anyone to come up on stage. As for being forced vs being pressured, in some cases one doesn't really get much of a choice and pressure can make it difficult to say no.
Stakhanov wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:14 am Hm. I'm not sure but weren't D&P going to work with this note notes system where everybody, upon entering the venue, could indicate if they wanted to participate or not? That's a great system and I think it's a good move on their part considering how many people in the fandom have very strong feelings on 'forced' audience participation. It's pretty rare though to do something like that. I've never encountered any kind of system like it in any show I've been to. I think it's one of those funny quirks that make a D&P tour a D&P tour :mrgreen:
I'm pretty sure D&P have said no such thing.
Stakhanov wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:14 am Tbh watching that clip I don't believe anymore that they themselves are scared of audience participation. Maybe in the past they were, but It is hard for me to take them seriously and believe that they would have such strong negative feelings about it. They are now doing a second world wide tour where they are on the planks, constantly engaging with an audience, doing meet and greets with hundreds of strangers etc... They are putting themselves out there.
So It would be odd to me that they would still feel that strongly about audience participation. I think whatever anxious feeling they may have had about it before, they must have conquered that. What they are doing by performing before thousands of people, months on end is much more confronting and intense.
I agree with what @captainspacecoat said. There's definitely a difference between being a well-prepared performer in front of an audience of people who are familiar with you and being thrust into the limelight when you're at a show just to sit back and be entertained. Dan also mentioned in his live show from December that he thinks performing in front of people who know and like him isn't that scary. And this isn't really the same kind of situation as D&P but I've hosted and participated in a bunch of school/theatre club plays and events with lots of enjoyment but I've also been asked to get up on stage at a magic show, which made me very anxious. I also vaguely remember watching a clip where Phil was asked to join Louise and some magician guy on the stage at the Creator Summit (in 2015, I think?) and he didn't seem overjoyed either.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

A twitter like from Dan:
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:57 pm A twitter like from Dan:
that's the second love, simon tweet he liked this week! i wonder if him and phil are gonna go see it 0: !!
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
thestigdrivesamini
sad dimple

Jacksepticeye is at the London premiere of Ready Player One. I know Phil really enjoyed the book so I’m hoping they’re at the premier as well and we get a red carpet selfie
SquishPhan
capita£ester

:lol:
thestigdrivesamini wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:22 pm Jacksepticeye is at the London premiere of Ready Player One. I know Phil really enjoyed the book so I’m hoping they’re at the premier as well and we get a red carpet selfie
That would be nice.
honeybee
squish

rizzo wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:06 am
LtrllySusan wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:05 pm I know it's only been 4 days (5?) since the last vid, but since there isn't much going on, I'd like to go on a little re-watch run. And since everyone always asks for either the recent or the overall favourite vids, I wanna try something else and ask for your favourite 2009/10/11/etc. (or starting 2006, if you're oldschool) videos.
(For an easy overview of which videos are from what year you can use the DD, if you know how to access it)

Also wow I am a stress mushroom now, and only mindly uncomfortable
I love this question, because I was literally just talking to someone about this video yesterday and how it's still such a favorite of mine. (Please see: my rank.)

Deserves a rewatch for Dan's quality impressions if you haven't in a while. (And it juuuust makes that cut for 2011.) I love his no-holds-barred reenactments and also it just really brings me back to the time I first discovered him. Such quality.
I love his sass in this.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Wow Dan we get it. :ribena:
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Oh, Daniel, what a tweet. First result of a quick search is that wearing pants in bed is bad for the old peen, so maybe these do indeed do something, but I haven't found out what yet. Gotta love how unafraid he is to just say the word penis. Not that he shouldn't be. I'm intrigued, anyway. The brand name's too generic to even find their website easily, I'm mostly getting stuff about healthcare for boxer dogs :roll:
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:51 pm Wow Dan we get it. :ribena:
I really wasn't sure if Dan was getting regular dick ass before. Glad he confirmed! :coffee:
ratlad
angel bean

rizzo wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:55 pm
I really wasn't sure if Dan was getting regular dick ass before. Glad he confirmed! :coffee:
us: hah weiner :)

dan: that's not the point :/
dan, in the same breath: anyway, i love Tha Dicc™
liola
rankussy

ratlad wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:00 pm

Us: wow Dan loves sex haha get it man!
Dan: you know iTS FUNNY ~
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
autumnhearth
senpai

liola wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:02 pm
ratlad wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:00 pm

Phil: Yeah Men’s ‘“‘Health’”’
Last edited by autumnhearth on Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
knq
lava lamp

flarequake wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:52 pm Oh, Daniel, what a tweet. First result of a quick search is that wearing pants in bed is bad for the old peen, so maybe these do indeed do something, but I haven't found out what yet. Gotta love how unafraid he is to just say the word penis. Not that he shouldn't be. I'm intrigued, anyway. The brand name's too generic to even find their website easily, I'm mostly getting stuff about healthcare for boxer dogs :roll:
They're here: https://www.newchic.com/boxer-briefs-49 ... 65180.html

Apparently they contain magnets and improve everything from your sleep quality to the amount of oxygen in your blood.

Also. Wow. This website. There is so much variety in underwear I did not know about.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

liola wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:02 pm
ratlad wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:00 pm us: hah weiner :)

Yeah if Dan could just do us a solid and include a footnote with all of these telling us what we're allowed to laugh at what what he'll be mad about in two days that'd be helpful.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I'm assuming this is referencing goggles for all that ass in his mouth? He just edited the tweet to be more inclusive, right? Right.

Yes. This joke is the hill I'm willing to die on.
autumnhearth
senpai

watsonian wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:19 pm
flarequake wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:52 pm Oh, Daniel, what a tweet. First result of a quick search is that wearing pants in bed is bad for the old peen, so maybe these do indeed do something, but I haven't found out what yet. Gotta love how unafraid he is to just say the word penis. Not that he shouldn't be. I'm intrigued, anyway. The brand name's too generic to even find their website easily, I'm mostly getting stuff about healthcare for boxer dogs :roll:
They're here: https://www.newchic.com/boxer-briefs-49 ... 65180.html

Apparently they contain magnets and improve everything from your sleep quality to the amount of oxygen in your blood.

Also. Wow. This website. There is so much variety in underwear I did not know about.
There sure are some interesting images there.
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

Phil went on Tumblr, reblogged one (1) post about unicorn-music, and then left. What an icon
ratlad
angel bean

i hope we get a gaming vid tonight
im predicting another sims or another 'getting over it'
ratlad
angel bean

rizzo wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:26 pm I'm assuming this is referencing goggles for all that ass in his mouth? He just edited the tweet to be more inclusive, right? Right.

Yes. This joke is the hill I'm willing to die on.
omg I can't believe Dan is having random hookups when he's living with the most beautiful man in the world. he treats Phil so poorly sometimes :( locking him up in a cupboard and depriving him of His Ass...
scientia
phabergé

RE: the Tour, I’ve always been really curious about how they will handle ‘Phan’ and the audience. I bet for the majority of the shows it won’t be an issue, but let’s assume someone somewhere wants to talk about something Phan-related during a show. I guess what I mean is, if this is more interactive than tatinof:

a) do Dan and Phil want questions about things that could touch on Phan (be it jokingly or more serious)
b) if they don’t, do they go so far as to forewarn the audience that certain topics aren’t allowed / have a pre-approved list of audience members to “interact” with
c) go with it or
d) just kind of assume that most people won’t make a big deal

I don’t mean to suggest that everyone who goes to the tour will be unable to restrain themselves - I’m more just curious about how the guys prevent being faced with topics they’d rather not address on the spot. Did this come up during tatinof?