TV show thread

lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

Just popping in the recommend Lucifer. I binged 2.5 seasons after I started it last weekend. Very loosely based on a comic by Neil Gaimon. It’s available on Amazon for the UK. I found it really well written and funny. Very light when compared to other supernatural shows, also some amazing music and singing from the lead character.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

Another rec: One Day at a Time. I know it's been around for a while but I just started watching it and I'm so in love.
theseclouds
crusty sponge

^I've seen that recced a few times, I really need to check it out asap!

I'm gonna watch the new season of A Series of Unfortunate Events over the next few days. I loved the first season (despite not having read the books).

I've recently binged five seasons of Baby Daddy, which tbh is not the best show ever but very entertaining? and also all of Daria, which I'm not sure a lot of people remember. :lol:

Also, no TV rec post I do will be complete without me recommending The OA, that show completely blew my mind and I've watched the first season three times since it came out while I'm very patiently waiting for season 2.
citizen_erased
truth bomb

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:45 am Another rec: One Day at a Time. I know it's been around for a while but I just started watching it and I'm so in love.
I watched that recently and though I had to kind of force myself through the first episode (which I didn't like, it felt so forced and fake), I absolutely adored it after that. I'm so happy it's been renewed for a third season!

I watched all of season 2 of A Series of Unfortunate Events this weekend, and god, I love it. I don't know why I still haven't read the books (though I'm now on the waiting list for the first book at my library, and if I like it I'm going to start buying the series). I'm considering rewatching the whole series, just because I can and I need some escapism from work.

If anyone here has recs for anything similar to a series of unfortunate events in terms of style of humor, please let me know?
sonicgreen
woodland creature

citizen_erased wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:38 pm If anyone here has recs for anything similar to a series of unfortunate events in terms of style of humor, please let me know?
ASOUE is my exact sense of humor! I read the books when I was real young (became obsessed) and ah I can see just how much it impacted my own personality, and its neat to see such a great reboot. The style of the Netflix series is very reflective of "Pushing Daisies" an oldie and a goodie! (I think they actually overlap producers or something?) A mildly dark almost story-book like comedy! I practically benchmark all my shows based off of how much they remind me of Pushing Daisies.
The show is available online usually (I know if you search the name + google drive, there may be an entire folder that exists somewhere…). Hope this helped!
teamug
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Killing Eve
alright, knew nothing about this show beforehand, but I saw Sandra Oh's face and knew I had to watch it, also made by bbc america, so I was hoping for quality. Only one ep out and I haven't been this excited since .. well I won't mention since what because I am still bewildered by the 4th season, but I love the premise and look and humour, quite dark, sits very well with me. crossing fingers with this one.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Anyone watching Lost in Space?
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

i'm 4 episodes into Big Little Lies and man Nicole Kidman's american accent is baaad. i've seen her in other things and it's never been great, but she's constantly slipping out in this and doesn't consistently pronounce her R at all. not even word to word in the same sentence. i wonder why.

can i have millionaire acting job please i am so good at north american accents
art in avatar by lily
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

mermaid blood wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:56 am i'm 4 episodes into Big Little Lies and man Nicole Kidman's american accent is baaad. i've seen her in other things and it's never been great, but she's constantly slipping out in this and doesn't consistently pronounce her R at all. not even word to word in the same sentence. i wonder why.

can i have millionaire acting job please i am so good at north american accents
I watched it last year, and I don't remember noticing the bad accent. Probably because I was just annoyed that an Australian story was set in, sigh, California. The TV show wasn't bad, but of course the book was much better (and more interesting because Australia :lol: ).

Would you rather have seen it set in Australia, or does having everything ever set in California not faze you?
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

honestly america's need to remake tv shows and movies from other places is bizarre? it robs the average, non-internet savvy american of being exposed to other cultures and countries because apparently nothing is sellable without a recognisable accent. but no, if Liane was happy to sell the rights than I guess the screenwriters can set it wherever they want. it wouldn't have been made here on such a big budget.

admittedly i haven't read the book, so i'm not sure how generic or specific she wrote the location/culture. my favourite show of all time is Love My Way. if you're craving excellent character writing and 'slice of life' sydney northern beaches (although very different from BLL's upper middle-class setting). no idea how accessible it is though and if there are torrents floating around. it amassed a cult following here and in the UK. if i think about a particular episode too long i cry, similar to thinking about the series finale of Six Feet Under. lol
art in avatar by lily
teamug

So. I've spent the midsummer watching Humans, brit series, getting to the end of their 3rd season, and it is a new hot favorite. The human condition, the word human, both noun and adjective is how i'd describe it. Just good stuff, not really feelgood, not too dark, but a very solid scifi drama that hits very close to our collective home. well made on all fronts.
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

I just finished the latest season of Bake Off on Netflix (thanks again for that awesome spoiler, Daniel :sideeye:), and I have to say that it completely fucking blew my mind when Noel said that he had been Old Gregg! Of all the references that I might have expected to be made on Bake Off, that was definitely not one that I saw coming.
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Did anyone else watch the new season of Doctor Who? I figured I'd give it a shot again on the grounds of no Moffat and finally a female doctor. I quit pretty early into the Capaldi era because the writing was making me want to pull my hair out, so I went into this season wary. I was so pleasantly surprised though! It felt a lot like the early new who era, but still holding the newness of just like, better special effects and whatnot. I also think that Jodie really captured that typical fun and silly part of the doctor while still not ignoring the severity of situations really wonderfully. I think the whole season really embodied that tbh. I'm sad I have to wait until 2020 now for a full new season though :(
opendoor
rainbow nerd

obsessivelymoody wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:31 pm Did anyone else watch the new season of Doctor Who? I figured I'd give it a shot again on the grounds of no Moffat and finally a female doctor. I quit pretty early into the Capaldi era because the writing was making me want to pull my hair out, so I went into this season wary. I was so pleasantly surprised though! It felt a lot like the early new who era, but still holding the newness of just like, better special effects and whatnot. I also think that Jodie really captured that typical fun and silly part of the doctor while still not ignoring the severity of situations really wonderfully. I think the whole season really embodied that tbh. I'm sad I have to wait until 2020 now for a full new season though :(
It came out during semester for me but I will get round to watching now I'm free! I'm optimistic for Jodie, she's a good actress and it is "About time" (Best slogan ever) for a female Doctor. I'm glad you think it's good. The one thing I'm not excited about is the Time Lords being back, I loved the whole "Last of the Time Lords" after the Time War premise.

Before I watch the new season I thought I'd rewatch the Russell T Davies (RTD) or as you put it early new who era, and I'm falling in love with it again. We used to tape them off the TV when I was a kid and I'd watch them a lot but it's been a long time. The writing is so sharp and funny, and it's not afraid to be weird (I just watched an ep where a cat-alien is married to a human woman and they have kittens) but at its centre it has a lot of heart. It's all about love and empathy and the desire to be a force of good in the Universe. I feel like the shitty special effects don't detract really? Like, it's not a blockbuster movie it's Doctor Who, it's supposed to be camp and cheesy.

The show also lost me mid-Moffat, during the Matt Smith seasons and I haven't seen it since. I thought the acting was good and the writing still funny but it lost like the campy weirdness, and a lot of the emotional resonance. Like in RTD's era the audience is right along with the characters feeling what they're feeling, but less so with Moffat. Also that man is addicted to making overarching plots and gigantic mysteries he has no hope of solving (And he can't write female characters for shit).
I miss Dan Howell's stupid face.
Afunnyworld
sofa crease

Has anyone else here watched Schitt's Creek? I recently became obsessed with the show after binging the first 4 seasons on Netflix. Dan Levy is very talented and the show is seriously amazing. I don't think I've ever watched anything like it.
fancybum
senpai

Afunnyworld wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:38 am Has anyone else here watched Schitt's Creek? I recently became obsessed with the show after binging the first 4 seasons on Netflix. Dan Levy is very talented and the show is seriously amazing. I don't think I've ever watched anything like it.
Ooh, that show with Catherine O'Hara? I've heard good things about it and her performance, that's going on my to-watch list.

I finally got on the bandwagon for Peaky Blinders and I'm kind of glad I waited so long so that I didn't have to wait between each season (well, until now). When I finished the last episode I had to go back and just start it all over again, like I can't deal with how good it is and how good Cillian damn Murphy is in it, as well as everybody else. It's. so. good. :happytears:
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
Lain
eclipse shirt

fancybum wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:47 am I finally got on the bandwagon for Peaky Blinders and I'm kind of glad I waited so long so that I didn't have to wait between each season (well, until now). When I finished the last episode I had to go back and just start it all over again, like I can't deal with how good it is and how good Cillian damn Murphy is in it, as well as everybody else. It's. so. good. :happytears:
This is the third or forth time I've seen someone mention Peaky Blinders in like a week. I think the universe is trying to tell me something. Is it on Netflix Canada?
fancybum
senpai

Lain wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:38 pm This is the third or forth time I've seen someone mention Peaky Blinders in like a week. I think the universe is trying to tell me something. Is it on Netflix Canada?
Yes, me and my Netflix are both in Canada and all 4 seasons are available! Watch it!!
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
onceinaugust
rainbow nerd

Afunnyworld wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:38 am Has anyone else here watched Schitt's Creek? I recently became obsessed with the show after binging the first 4 seasons on Netflix. Dan Levy is very talented and the show is seriously amazing. I don't think I've ever watched anything like it.
I've had two days off from work for snow days and just watched all 4 seasons on Netflix and got caught up on season 5. I'm obsessed. It's got the one of the best depictions of a gay relationship on tv, and you can tell the thought that they've (Dan especially) put into it. It might take over from parks and rec and bake off as my show that I'm going to put on whenever I can't decide what to watch.
"You loved it, you want to do it more."
"Alright"
Afunnyworld
sofa crease

onceinaugust wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:30 pm I've had two days off from work for snow days and just watched all 4 seasons on Netflix and got caught up on season 5. I'm obsessed. It's got the one of the best depictions of a gay relationship on tv, and you can tell the thought that they've (Dan especially) put into it. It might take over from parks and rec and bake off as my show that I'm going to put on whenever I can't decide what to watch.
I also find that it's a great show to rewatch, I've already watched "Singles Week" 3 times.
Dan talks a bit about depicting queer relationships on the show in this podcast episode, it's pretty interesting.
itasca00
moon room

I just finished watching the first season of Pose on Netflix, and it was so fantastic! The show's about ball culture in New York City in 1987, and I really wish Dan and Phil would watch it and discuss it in a liveshow. I know that now this is going to happen with every bit of queer media I see. However, I think the odds of them watching this show in particular might be slightly improved if Dan's crush on Evan Peters is still alive and well since Evan has one of the main story lines in the show (and shows some skin in several episodes...I never realized how sexy he was before now, lol).
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
teamug

My favorite thread.

Good Omens wow like seriously wow. Most importantly I have a new ship to ship (yeehaw). I hope they do make more, a second mini series. Got hooked real quick. Queen, second most important thing. Really enjoyed it.

Still mentioning Killing Eve 'cause. wowza. Impressive performances and gripping plot.

Please watch Anne with an E, new adaptation of Anne of Green Gables, but very impactful and thoughtful and well made and the kids are awesome. (And is that King Farm?)

Gentleman Jack interesting history, made me want to read up on her as much a possible. Still only halfway through, did not totally keep my attention, so I'm giving it a re-go in marathon -ish mode.

Honorable mentions
The Rain scary virus?, Derry Girls teen girls in 90's ireland, Atypical neurodivergent on cusp of adulthood, the Society youth alone in town try to manage.
itasca00
moon room

teamug wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:12 am Please watch Anne with an E, new adaptation of Anne of Green Gables, but very impactful and thoughtful and well made and the kids are awesome. (And is that King Farm?)
I wholeheartedly second this recommendation! I chose to read Anne of Green Gables when I was in elementary school, so watching Anne with an E started off on a nostalgic note and steadily grew into a “wow, this is incredible” note as the show tackled different issues and especially after the introduction of queer characters. I liked the show so much that I watched the first two seasons two times in a row back-to-back when I discovered it last year. :lol: I can’t wait for the third season to come out on Netflix!