Dan & Phil Part 68: The Quiffening

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
obsessivelymoody
emo goose
Pronouns: she/her

"OPINIONS" was one of the first Dan videos I remember watching and really loving before I went into full stan mode, and wow I am weirdly really not a fan of the title change. I don't understand why he changed it to what he changed it to. Like, I get the "spoilers" one because it specifies the topic of the video more, but the title he changed "opinions" to is just awful and weird.

I'm glad to see that he's actually unlisting the videos now because it really left a bad taste in my mouth that he would blatantly say he left them unlisted only to find them private instead.

editing to say that while I'm fine with Dan doing whatever he wants with his channel (as long as he keeps the shit unlisted because at this point he is starting to become like those youtubers who hide all their old stuff), I don't understand why he won't change the fucking thumbnail on "I will go down with this ship". Like, I get that he wants to leave it up because of how formative it was for his rise in popularity (like I even reblogged gifs of that video on tumblr a few years before I starting watching Dan), but at least have the decency and courtesy to changing the thumbnail.
Last edited by obsessivelymoody on Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

@jaej: When I said I think it's sad that he thinks he looks bad in the old videos, I meant like... sad for him. It makes me sad that he feels that way. I didn't mean it in the "that's so stupid, get over it" way but I see now that it reads that way. :? Nah, I agree with you of course but I feel like deleting all his old content isn't really the answer. But yeah, body issues are no laughing matter of course and I didn't mean to downplay them at all. (Am I even making sense anymore, I'm so sorry. My English stopped working when I left the UK apparently, I can't explain anything anymore.)

ratlad wrote:where is all of this negativity coming from what

For me it's basically what @Catallena said. A big part of what made me a fan in 2012 is gone and that feels very weird. I used to rewatch a bunch of those videos over and over and even though I didn't do that anymore lately them being gone feels bad. I also feel like he doesn't really understand that a lot of older viewers might have a connection to those videos, like Catallena said. Removing videos with problematic content is a no brainer of course, I'm all for that, but I also think unlisting videos he doesn't want to show up on his channel anymore because of old cringy branding would have been enough. Newbies wouldn't have found them but older fans would still have been able to watch them when the nostalgia hit. That I can't do that now is what makes me kinda angrysad, even though I totally understand why he doesn't want those videos around anymore.

Edit: That boy is acting so fast, I can't catch up. So the okay videos are just unlisted again now which I'm actually fine with. I still think he shouldn't take this too far though. I'm just kind of afraid he'll start unlisting videos as soon as he doesn't identify with the person he was when he made them anymore and that would probably not end well.
Last edited by Birdie on Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AroboticPhil
sad dimple
Pronouns: she

Personally, one thing that frustrates me a lot with dan at the moment (since a few months) is that he says so many things I disagree with, like most of his "philosophical" thoughts or general lifestyle/culture opinions we get in liveshows make me want to have an energetic discussion with him and be like "dude what there's no coherence in what you're saying!!". I mean, I generally relate a lot to Dan and share a lot of his views but somehow recently in liveshows, he always manages to say things that make me go :roll: :roll:
And that itself doesn't bother me (everyone has different opinions, and I'm not saying I'm right and he's wrong) but as a viewer, it does get frustrating watching someone constantly says things that make you strongly react but not being able to engage with that person about the subject. Like basically having to passively hear someone say stuff I don't agree with for an hour is not really my idea of a good time so that's why I can have a bit of negative attitude when it comes to dan liveshows. But that's in no way some kind of moral judgement I'm making on him or his personality! And it's no one's fault because he can talk and say whatever he wants and I can't control my reactions and there's no way around that so I just focus more on joint content and Phil videos :shrug:
(sorry for the personal rant and I don't know if this made a lot of sense, I'm not native so expressing long thoughts is challenging sometimes)
autumnhearth
senpai

I’m not unhappy with Dan in general, I’m just taken aback with all of this. Yes, it’s his channel, his image and his career, he should do as he sees fit. I just don’t buy the email or his hair as reasons.

I don’t think How To Speak Northern has anything to do with Chris personally, I remember that video making both me and my husband feel uncomfortable when we watched it. A lot of those videos do have good reasons to be taken down. Sonic 4 and Truth or Dare 2 both contain ableist language, the gimp video of course jokes about legal slavery, AmazingDan has several mentions of rape, I think Would You Rather mentions Dan being raped by Tototoro, (childhood ruined thanks), a couple of them mention him contracting swine aids, etc.

So I’m not upset that they’re gone, I just I dunno, it felt sudden and misleading... I’m sure a lot of it has to do with going on tour and future publicity. But yeah I noticed the ones with the highest views like How To Speak Internet and I Will Go Down With This Ship are still there (+1 to change the fing thumbnail). I’m not angry, I’m not saying he should have handeled it another way, I just feel weird.

I noticed that some of the videos outright say they are private, but some say that he has chosen to make them unavailable? What is the difference? Are those ones deleted? Are they private too? Are they in a state of limbo?

Oh okay, as I finished my rant I saw his Twitter response. Pancakes and Dan vs Phil are still there. I’m okay now. Glad it was an accident. I could just not post this but there are reasons and feeling above so I’ll keep it.
LurkingTrash
woodland creature
Pronouns: She/Her

I'm sad, and tired; didn't watch the liveshow and I don't wanna
I'm trying not to post an opinion when I feel so down too but I just don't understand, we all have done cringe shit in our past, this is not one thing or two he took away, it's a lot of history, I know we can still have access to it but having him feel the need to distance himself from all of that when he already made a video saying "I changed", I thought that was enough, why does he needs to just 'delete' that part? Didn't it help to make you who you are today? The choice of videos is shocking to me too, I see a few perfectly fine ones in the list too when that one with that guy is still up.
At the end of the day I'm worried where his head is at atm, I hope he's okay and I hope this doesn't mean that much to him as my mind is making it to be, I want him happy and if he needs to delete things that he feels are weighting him down then fine, but I worry about his motivation behind this choice and what it means that he feels about his past.

tl;dr I'm sad, I hope he's okay and I'm being a dramaqueen
cocolero
squish

Hi.

This is really dumb.

The last thing Dan should want is for people to be googling “deleted <insert Dan version> YouTube videos.” Because then people will find more than just the ones he privated. And that I’d think isn’t something he wants.

For being an internet Person, he can be surprisingly naive.
jaej
moon room
Pronouns: he/they/idm

Katka wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:03 pm @jaej: When I said I think it's sad that he thinks he looks bad in the old videos, I meant like... sad for him. It makes me sad that he feels that way. I didn't mean it in the "that's so stupid, get over it" way but I see now that it reads that way. :? Nah, I agree with you of course but I feel like deleting all his old content isn't really the answer. But yeah, body issues are no laughing matter of course and I didn't mean to downplay them at all. (Am I even making sense anymore, I'm so sorry. My English stopped working when I left the UK apparently, I can't explain anything anymore.)
i wasn't criticising what you said specifically, dw! it's definitely sad he sees himself that way, and deleting content doesn't help since it's just a way of avoiding part of the problem. i doubt any of them will be back fully anytime soon, and i definitely think there could be more recent videos added to the deleted collection because he doesn't like how he looks or acted in those too
my name is jaejmine masters and i have something to say. dan and phil have fucked up japan :japhan:
phil lester threw the first brick at stonewall, we love a queer icon :biflag:
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

He’s definitely doing some form of damage control, haven’t seen him be this active on twitter for a while.

Interesting to see that he took some videos down that he deemed to be “tacky” but as many of my friends have said on twitter, has left the video with Alex Day up.
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
tyhane
delia smith

autumnhearth wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:17 pm I don’t think How To Speak Northern has anything to do with Chris personally, I remember that video making both me and my husband feel uncomfortable when we watched it. A lot of those videos do have good reasons to be taken down. Sonic 4 and Truth or Dare 2 both contain ableist language, the gimp video of course jokes about legal slavery, AmazingDan has several mentions of rape, I think Would You Rather mentions Dan being raped by Tototoro, (childhood ruined thanks), a couple of them mention him contracting swine aids, etc.
I think this is why I've been pretty taken aback by the negative responses. I thought most people were in favor of him taking down/unlisting videos for reasons like that. Although I am curious why he'd acknowledge the problematic humor in his twitter responses, but not in the liveshow. (Unless I missed it, I admit I was kind of distracted when I was watching.)

Though as others have said, def confused/annoyed that he'd take down the ones he did yet not the I Will Go Down With This Ship video. :shrug:
bookfiend
spork
Pronouns: She/her

Well this deleting spree just makes me sad if I’m honest.
I kind of agree that it’s pretty isolating for people who’ve been his fans for a long time and have attachments to those videos.
I get why some of the videos he wouldn’t see as appropriate. As funny as I find some of them I do get why he wouldn’t want them on his channel anymore. But some of the choices just don’t make sense to me.

Dan, mate if your lurking can we make a trade?
Because I vote he remove the Alex Day one and we can have Dan vs Phil back.
:please:
knq
lava lamp

I actually think he did take down "I Will Go Down With This Ship," for all those mentioning it. Dan is lurkin'.
AmethystHollis
smol bean

mm_sunny1993 wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:57 pm Videos Dan unlisted or deleted if someone is interested:
How to use a Gimp (2009)
A Day In The Life Of A Superhero (2010)
Truth or Dare (2010)
Dan vs. Phil (2010)
Stupid Air Fresheners (2010)
Dan and Phil play Sonic 4 (2010)
I NEARLY DIED. (not) (2010)
AmazingDan 2 (2010)
LET’S GET PHYSICAL (2011)
How To Make British Pancakes (2011)
Would You Rather ..? (2011)
wwwsexyllamas.com (2011)
SPIRAL OF LIES (2011)
HOT BOYS on Teen Cribz (2011)
Truth or Dare 3 (2011)
Inappropriate Winking (2011)
OMG WTF ASDFGHJKL (2011)
OMG UR soo POSH L0L!!1! (2011)
Oli Sykes - Would You Rather (2012)
LEFT HANDEDISM (2012)
How To Speak Northern (2012)
Truth or Dare 4 (2012)
hi! i just created this account because i'm desperate. i just wanted to say there are more videos missing and i think dan is going through them again right now as the i will go down with this ship video is down - i'm guessing he saw what was said about it - so i think i will check all of his videos tomorrow to be sure. :(
also the krave videos are missing, but since when? :o
simmehchan
butt chair

Looks like he deleted the Alex Day one. Good, that's all I wanted really. and for him to stop belittling his audience but ok sure one step at a time

"I think stalking someone to become their friend is rather weird" - Phil Lester, 2006
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

Okay, since someone asked and since I’m usually very negative (look at me only coming here when I have something to complain about…) here’s why I love Dan: I really like his humour. It changed a lot over the years but it’s still the same at the core and I really like it. My favourite videos of his are his storytime videos because he’s just genuinely funny and he has that rare talent of making even a kind of normal anecdote seem funny and entertaining. I also think Dan is super clever and talented and he’s considerate. I can’t with a lot of Youtubers because of their “edgy” humour but Dan isn’t going there and he’s basically living proof that you can be damn funny without being rude. I also really like and admire his work for mental health awareness and I relate to Dan as well. We’re the same age, I like the same music and aesthetics he likes and I share a lot of the insecurities he speaks about. He’s just relatable to me. Basically what @flarequake said about that earlier.

There might be a lot I don’t like – the backtracking, the patronising attitude, him not changing the thumbnail of a certain video etc. – but overall I’m happy with Dan. That doesn’t mean I can’t criticise him though. I think it’s healthy to be critical of the media you consume and the celebrities you like but being critical and not agreeing with everything they say or do doesn’t mean you don’t like them anymore. Basically Dan and Phil are the only Youtubers I’ve stuck with for as long as I have. I made an account on this forum because I like them so much and I wanted to talk to other fans about them, even though I usually come here to heckle, lol. But yeah, I'm not seeing myself ever being this invested in any other Youtubers. So I’m not happy with everything Dan says or does but I’m happy with Dan in general. I think he's doing just fine (and lots better than many other Youtubers).
watsonian wrote:I actually think he did take down "I Will Go Down With This Ship," for all those mentioning it. Dan is lurkin'.
Is he though or did people spam him on Twitter to take it down? :? (If they ever let on they lurk here, I'm out. I need to vent sometimes but I honestly don't need them to see it, haha. :backawayslowly:)
hello9217
flower crown

Katka wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:34 pm
watsonian wrote:I actually think he did take down "I Will Go Down With This Ship," for all those mentioning it. Dan is lurkin'.
Is he though or did people spam him on Twitter to take it down? :? (If they ever let on they lurk here, I'm out. I need to vent sometimes but I honestly don't need them to see it, haha. :backawayslowly:)
People on twitter were telling him to take it down while he was at it
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

watsonian wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:30 pm I actually think he did take down "I Will Go Down With This Ship," for all those mentioning it. Dan is lurkin'.
Thank god

Also:
If only he was this explicit in his liveshow. I think I sound quite aggravated, but honestly I'm really here for people recognising problematic behaviour and correcting it (even if it was said in a time where it was more 'popular'). I guess I just wish Dan was more transparent with these things. But otherwise I'm pretty happy with Dan tbh, and I think my mood is definitely being influenced by a tooth issue I've been having (which probably means I shouldn't be super opinionated online? idk) so :shrug:
lila23
tol bean

For me the sad part is the way he feels about his past-self. The videos can go as some of them are not so approppriate, but it saddens me how harsh he is towards himself.
Perhaps we don't know the real reason, perhaps he was so unhappy then he wants to forget that part of his life,, perhaps is just his hair (I don't buy it)...

It would be great if one day he was capable of saying :" Yes I was young and silly, and made some mistakes, but it's thanks to them that I am the Dan I am now". I wish...

Other than that, I have to say I liked the liveshow, he sais some interesting things and I'm pretty excited for all the content he said was gonna be during the tour (hope they can do it as they plan).
firsttimeposter
living flop

A small thing I realized in the liveshow was some question about the CAH video, where I think a person asked in what way "being electrocuted and inner thigh caressing" has smth to do with the show, and dan looks angry into the computer and says something like "yeah, the getting electrocuted part!!", as to get "inner thigh caressing (something romantic/sexual about dnp) completely off the table. Hmmm. Judging by the things he has already said about the tour (giving the people what they want,/ living our truth on stage,/ tiit is about our relationship,/ etc), he is being quite contradicting suddenly. Or maybe it's me reading into the smallest, most insignificant moment of the liveshow. You know, I'm always very negative.
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

I was feeling salty when I first woke up and read here but seeing that he unlisted I Will Go Down With This Ship has completely turned my mood around, that's fantastic!! It was about time, and I'm glad he's taken people's valid
(sorry to use Dan's word of the moment) complaints about it into account.

I was surprised that he decided to go on an unlisting/privating spree given that in the past he's been adamant that no matter how embarrassing his old videos are they will remain on his channel so that people can see how much he's improved as a youtuber over the years (with the exception of genuinely problematic content). But I do sympathise with him, it would be daunting to have an image of yourself that no longer represents who you are as a person out there for millions of people to see and judge, and I can't fault him for being insecure.

I haven't watched the liveshow and don't know if I will bother just yet but it's interesting (and a bit frustrating) that he's sown the seeds of a possible Video to be uploaded in June specifically. I have no doubt he knows what people will infer from that (and I actually think there's good reason to infer it) but I worry that he'll change his mind or something will go wrong and he'll have people bugging him to know what the video was, and then he'll get annoyed and there'll be a generally shitty mood in the air from all parties involved.
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

im fine with him deleting old videos tbh.
maybe they all felt like a burden on him. listen, i just re discovered my blog today from 10 years ago and let me tell you, that shit isn't cute. i don't have the password to delete it, but i would if i could. that's how i imagine dan feeling, because people will, have, and do take the problematic things he's said in 2010/2011/2012 and act as if it's a current thing he still stands by. he explained it in his liveshow tonight.

tbh i feel like they do lurk here for some reason (mostly cause i have pretty bad paranoia and i'm just overall sideye) but i am probably 98% wrong.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
hello9217
flower crown

I totally get wanting to take down videos that contain problematic humor or are just genuinely not who you are anymore but just say that don't drag an 11 year old girl for enjoying the content you yourself enjoyed at one point in your life. Whether the email was real or not, it still left a bad taste in my mouth.

As for the question someone said asked above I do genuinely like dan but he's like my brother. Sometimes he says something that pisses me off but I will still forgive him eventually because I can respect that when you are live in front of thousands its hard to control what your saying.

Maybe Dan should just leave his laptop in his room when he does live shows so he can stop pulling out receipts.
httpixel
placenta

I think it's pretty understandable that he wants to back away from his old self. I think that it goes even beyond the problematic jokes for him, and just his general discomfort towards the type of person he was when he made those videos (the kind of person was incredibly insecure about how things like his sexuality were being perceived by viewers and felt the need to ensure that everyone knew he loved vag, or oral with phil would be comparable to getting dirty with his grandma, just for an example. your average fragile masculinity things, i guess)

Maybe he didn't want to say in the liveshow that he was unlisting videos because he said problematic things because he didn't want people to go out of their way to find problematic things?

Also I always get a kick when Dan pulls his laptop out of his ass to get those receipts hahaha it's a petty person thing that I 100% relate to
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

firsttimeposter wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:45 pm A small thing I realized in the liveshow was some question about the CAH video, where I think a person asked in what way "being electrocuted and inner thigh caressing" has smth to do with the show, and dan looks angry into the computer and says something like "yeah, the getting electrocuted part!!", as to get "inner thigh caressing (something romantic/sexual about dnp) completely off the table. Hmmm. Judging by the things he has already said about the tour (giving the people what they want,/ living our truth on stage,/ tiit is about our relationship,/ etc), he is being quite contradicting suddenly. Or maybe it's me reading into the smallest, most insignificant moment of the liveshow. You know, I'm always very negative.
he didn't sound contradictory or angry at that at all, what situation would they ever need to do thigh caressing in front of housands of mostly underaged fans? i think he was just laughing rather than anger. i don't think he cares about holding most feelings back at this point.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
lila23
tol bean

Same for me, I don't think he sounded angry at all. He was in a really good mood today.

I loved the "soulmates" part :D . For sure him and Phil are very compatible people ;) (who get on really well and spend all their time together).
malday
emo goose

Like others said, i also understand why he would want to unlist old videos.
Whether the email excuse was real or not, having those videos on his channel bothered him enough that he had to unlist them. Maybe it's rooted in his personality and mental health that he just couldn't deal with people judging him on his past self when he has changed and grown so much. If his overthinking and regret (and perfectionism) is haunting him and causing him to do this, then i empathize since this problem is not something that just goes away and you have to deal with it all your life.

It makes sense to me that he wouldn't want to get new subscribers based on old videos, but i hope one day he can find a balance and learns to laugh at his old self, because even if it is cringe, he didn't commit murder, he didn't look bad, he went through a very public growing experience, and he will continue to grow and change for the rest of his life and he can't go on overthinking his past again and again.

And I'm all for him taking down old things he thinks are problematic and is self aware of.
Maybe all of this is laying the groundwork for his next video which could be about the personal growth he experienced.

And it is interesting that he shouted out and said he is supporting ContraPoints.