Dan & Phil Part 69: our cherry blossom

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

What I found interesting was that they said the "Hi I'm Phil" thing happened "yesterday", which, according to Twitter, was on the 12th. It's definitely unusual that there's more than 2-3 days between filming and posting and makes me wonder how much they have pre-filmed already.

I really hope the gaming channel doesn't die during the tour—filming a longer series and chopping it up would definitely be less effort than making a standalone video for every week.
liola
rankussy
Pronouns: she/her

I liked the video enough, but it wasn't the best. All in all I appreciate them per-filming before tour to make sure we don't starve for content.

I'm surprised no one has talked about the moment during the "best friend secretly hate you", when Dan is like "well it's obviously not the case (that Phil hates him) because he's said while if it was true it'd be a secret, and I'm not saying anything, if you catch my drift" while looking directly at the camera and smirking. I prob have my goggles on but for me it sounded very.. wink wink we know you know and you know that we know you know wink wink :garbage:

And right after, after Phil clicks on the confront option, he goes "well I look forward to be confronted by Phil this summer" and I know it's prob just for the sake of the video but it got me :tinfoil: that he would go straight to summer? Like why not saying "in two weeks when tour starts"? Now I'm thinking back to dan saying That he has a video for june
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

^
I mean yes i think you have your goggles on. Poor guys at this point it doesn't even matter how many times they say they're just friends, a lot of people will just casually reject it and even interpret it as a "we know you know and you know that we know you know". There's really nothing left they can do, other than just antagonizing that half of their audience that watches their vids at least s much because they like to watch "cute gay couple" stuff than for their content. Or repeat the annus horribilis 2012 ;-)
They'll survive though, they don't seem to mind keeping things ambiguous while selling out world tours. It's the smart choice.

I liked this video. Not their best ever, it's basically exactly the same video they make as the previous "what if" vids or the "what's being googled the most" video's. It's hardly innovative but it brings out the bants, and that's what they are best at.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
liola
rankussy

Stakhanov wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:17 am ^
I mean yes i think you have your goggles on. Poor guys at this point it doesn't even matter how many times they say they're just friends, a lot of people will just casually reject it and even interpret it as a "we know you know and you know that we know you know". There's really nothing left they can do, other than just antagonizing that half of their audience that watches their vids at least s much because they like to watch "cute gay couple" stuff than for their content. Or repeat the annus horribilis 2012 ;-)
They'll survive though, they don't seem to mind keeping things ambiguous while selling out world tours. It's the smart choice.

I liked this video. Not their best ever, it's basically exactly the same video they make as the previous "what if" vids or the "what's being googled the most" video's. It's hardly innovative but it brings out the bants, and that's what they are best at.
I mean I don't know why you're being passive aggressive when my comment was mostly a joke and I even used the goggles point to make it clear and you had to go and imply I'm one of the people who cares about cute gay couples and not content or them as people? This argument is kinda tiring at this point.

You can have your opinion on their relationship and I can have mine so sorry if Dan's phrasing sounds cheeky enough to make me speculate :shrug:

Also I can't remember the last time they said they're "just friends" related to being more than that so pardon me for just choosing to look at the whole context of their relationship in a different way.

mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

god i LOVED this video. so many little moments to unpack. agree with other posters the relationship/argument talk was so interesting, and we do have an example of that that always feels too personal on rewatching, the radio 1 roulette game video. phil pushes on an issue wanting to talk it out, but it's not an appropriate thing to push on/it's too personal for on-camera (or both) and dan shuts down completely (obviously that's just my interpretation of what happened there).

and i enjoy the flipside, with dan pushing phil to choose his 'real' answer with the grenade, but not treating it like something to be ashamed of. i feel like we learned something there too.

the alien probing part gave me SAP flashbacks and i liked how dan handled that with the emojis, but i was more surprised phil even went there. we don't have many examples of them making innuendos about each other, right? (rather than towards each other?). i'm incredibly tired tonight so i might not be thinking that through correctly.

the holes joke was my favourite, though. being that it wasn't even a joke? i'm not sure phil caught it or not (if he did he ignored it), and you could see dan reacting and then deciding not to verbalise it. and they kept it in editing. delicious.

ImageImage

phil lester 2k18: "i just want all the holes!"

starwatersong wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:28 am
alittledizzy wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:04 am

I also love Dan's whiny voice at the "you don't even know my name" part. Are there any compilations of Dan whining in that specific tone? Surely he's done it more than once before but the "you have another friend" one is all that's coming to mind.
I know of the one at the beginning of Tomska's making of First Contact.
there isn't one that i'm aware of, but we've been talking about it as a community for a few years now. along with the food-on-bodies compilation i really need to just teach myself how and stop being lazy, hoping someone else will pick up the projects. this is totally a hint to anyone who has the existing skills and time, by the way :lol: there are so many whiny dan moments but off the top of my head:
0.58 - i would even classify this as 'baby talk'. there's another whiny example that's more babyish from like 2 years ago but my mind is going blank...

the 'phil & phil' story is a reason why i value their joint liveshows so highly, we always get at least one moment of them telling a spontaneous anecdote to the chat, but then reacting to one another and not for the benefit of the audience.

Image cute
art in avatar by lily
autumnhearth
senpai

ratlad wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:47 pm im givin the vid another watch and i find myself smiling more this time ?? maybe it was me who was rushing it?
if u can't blame urself how the hell are u gonna blame somebody else's youtube video, can i get a gaymen?
flirty boyfriends <3
Same. It was much better on the second watch for me and I think I just was in the wrong headspace. Looking at gifs and reading what others liked in the interim might have helped too.

@liola that first moment (if you catch my drift) also gave me pause, but I don’t know what to make of it. However the summer mention I thought referred to tensions on a cramped tour bus leading to a revelation of hate. All a joke of course. While I am firm in my belief that they are a couple, I don’t put any stock in this June video being a coming out.

Ooo big post from @mermaid blood blood as I’m about to hit submit, how exciting. Also really appreciated @watsonian ’s question by question thoughts :respekt2:
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

autumnhearth wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:23 am
@liola that first moment (if you catch my drift) also gave me pause, but I don’t know what to make of it. However the summer mention I thought referred to tensions on a cramped tour bus leading to a revelation of hate. All a joke of course. While I am firm in my belief that they are a couple, I don’t put any stock in this June video being a coming out.
Was "if you catch my drift" not Dan's way of saying "I can't say I hate Phil because then it wouldn't be a secret which would mean I don't hate Phil, so I'm going to draw attention to my lack of comment and imply it"? I thought it was just establishing the joke but maybe I'm just missing what you guys are talking about.
Stakhanov
haru pillow

liola wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:06 am
Stakhanov wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:17 am ^

I mean I don't know why you're being passive aggressive when my comment was mostly a joke and I even used the goggles point to make it clear and you had to go and imply I'm one of the people who cares about cute gay couples and not content or them as people? This argument is kinda tiring at this point.

You can have your opinion on their relationship and I can have mine so sorry if Dan's phrasing sounds cheeky enough to make me speculate :shrug:

Also I can't remember the last time they said they're "just friends" related to being more than that so pardon me for just choosing to look at the whole context of their relationship in a different way.
Well i don't know why you're saying i'm passive agressive, that's not what i was being. I take your point it's meant as a joke, but i reacted to what I read, and you seem to think I imply things about you which i don't?
Of course you can freely interpret or speculate about anything they say, who's ever implying you can't? Just as i can give my interpretation of how you interpret Dan's behavior at that point in the video and what i think of the layers of speculation you add to that.
I'm not implying you specifically are one of the people who cares about cute gay couples let alone don't care about their content or them as people. I don't know how you think about all of that, or what your motivations are for liking them? I can't divine whether you mean what you say mostly jokingly, or somewhat serious, or anything in between either. So if you say it was meant mostly jokingly, good to know but that was not apparent to me based on your first post.
Besides, if it were your position (which i'm not saying it is), what would be wrong with liking what they do on those grounds to start with? A lot of people like K-pop just for the entertainment it provides them too, and that's fine imo.
What I said i just a observation that I make about the fandom in general. Because some people will state and speculate about a whole lot of things based on the reasoning that "they know we know and that they know that we know that they know", and i can have an opinion about that.
Just wanted to clarify that since you're saying i'm being passive-agressive, which is not what i was trying to do. I just like to formulate and share my own view, as we all do.
Have a nice day.
Stakhanov
haru pillow

Templeofshame wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:46 am
autumnhearth wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:23 am
Was "if you catch my drift" not Dan's way of saying "I can't say I hate Phil because then it wouldn't be a secret which would mean I don't hate Phil, so I'm going to draw attention to my lack of comment and imply it"? I thought it was just establishing the joke but maybe I'm just missing what you guys are talking about.
That's exactly how I interpreted it too. It logically follows too after he points out that Phil can't secretly hate him, because Phil just said "I hate you" to Dan, which spoils the secret part of "secrely hating your best friend"
The joke Dan makes after that is that he says nothing, leaving open the possibility that he would actually secretly hate Phil.
So yea I think any speculation that goes beyond that is far-fetched, but that doesn't mean it can't be fun ;)
liola
rankussy

Stakhanov wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:15 pm Well i don't know why you're saying i'm passive agressive, that's not what i was being. I take your point it's meant as a joke, but i reacted to what I read, and you seem to think I imply things about you which i don't?
Of course you can freely interpret or speculate about anything they say, who's ever implying you can't? Just as i can give my interpretation of how you interpret Dan's behavior at that point in the video and what i think of the layers of speculation you add to that.
I'm not implying you specifically are one of the people who cares about cute gay couples let alone don't care about their content or them as people. I don't know how you think about all of that, or what your motivations are for liking them? I can't divine whether you mean what you say mostly jokingly, or somewhat serious, or anything in between either. So if you say it was meant mostly jokingly, good to know but that was not apparent to me based on your first post.
Besides, if it were your position (which i'm not saying it is), what would be wrong with liking what they do on those grounds to start with? A lot of people like K-pop just for the entertainment it provides them too, and that's fine imo.
What I said i just a observation that I make about the fandom in general. Because some people will state and speculate about a whole lot of things based on the reasoning that "they know we know and that they know that we know that they know", and i can have an opinion about that.
Just wanted to clarify that since you're saying i'm being passive-agressive, which is not what i was trying to do. I just like to formulate and share my own view, as we all do.
Have a nice day.
If you weren't being passive aggressive then I apologize, this is a forum and tone can be hard to understand and that's how it sounded. It just felt unnecessary to point out how it was "far fetched" to think it was a joke towards their relationship, because it's pretty clear how most people think they're in a relationship for a long list of reasons, and not just because of these jokey comments they make.

The point of my post was to be surprised how no-one talked about it because it made me pause as soon as Dan said it, and it seemed to be said in a way that wasn't just a segue to the joke of phil hating him. Obviously, we can't know for sure what he meant so every opinion is as good as another ;)
autumnhearth wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:23 am @liola that first moment (if you catch my drift) also gave me pause, but I don’t know what to make of it. However the summer mention I thought referred to tensions on a cramped tour bus leading to a revelation of hate. All a joke of course. While I am firm in my belief that they are a couple, I don’t put any stock in this June video being a coming out.
Oh no I wasn't implying the June video is a coming out, I don't think they will ever make a coming out video, and I don't think if they ever did Dan would hype it months later! No it just surprised me that Dan went straight to summer as if it's on his mind while it would've been imo more likely for him to imply the beginning of tour as the reason for the hate to come out, and I got reminded of him mentioning a video in June, I was mostly just wondering if it's something specific (maybe tour/work related as well) that could involve Phil as well? Idk just surprised how he said summer and not a closer timeframe :shrug:

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

rizzo wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:16 pmETA: This is a thing apparently? That Hot Topic deal is really working out for them, isn't it?
This is from the last page but I just wanted to bring it back - I noticed the guy's phone case, and aww. I hope Dan noticed and appreciated that his edgy white dude audience and his queer audience actually can nicely overlap.
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

liola wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:46 pm
autumnhearth wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:23 am @liola that first moment (if you catch my drift) also gave me pause, but I don’t know what to make of it. However the summer mention I thought referred to tensions on a cramped tour bus leading to a revelation of hate. All a joke of course. While I am firm in my belief that they are a couple, I don’t put any stock in this June video being a coming out.
Oh no I wasn't implying the June video is a coming out, I don't think they will ever make a coming out video, and I don't think if they ever did Dan would hype it months later! No it just surprised me that Dan went straight to summer as if it's on his mind while it would've been imo more likely for him to imply the beginning of tour as the reason for the hate to come out, and I got reminded of him mentioning a video in June, I was mostly just wondering if it's something specific (maybe tour/work related as well) that could involve Phil as well? Idk just surprised how he said summer and not a closer timeframe :shrug:
Theory. The June video is all about how much he's actually hated Phil this whole time and they never actually lived together, they actually have restraining orders on each other. Every joint video is all green screen, Body guard drake is only there to make sure they never actually interact with eachother. /sarcastic
greenergrass
stress mushroom

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:49 pm
rizzo wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:16 pmETA: This is a thing apparently? That Hot Topic deal is really working out for them, isn't it?
This is from the last page but I just wanted to bring it back - I noticed the guy's phone case, and aww. I hope Dan noticed and appreciated that his edgy white dude audience and his queer audience actually can nicely overlap.
I didn't see this on the last page, but I also noticed the phone case right away (before even the tshirt lol). Love it.

Good point, dizzy. We can only hope
malday
emo goose

cute
Last edited by malday on Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

phil is literally glowing in his new selfie
looks like he got his roots touched up as well
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
autumnhearth
senpai

Adorable. Yep looks like he just got his hair done. Dyed, shorn and styled. I love that shirt.
hello9217
flower crown

Very cute! The real question is, is he wearing the matching shorts?
TheHomosexualAgenda
delia smith

malday wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:09 pm cute
Is anyone else really jealous of how nice his eyebrows are? The high arch looks reeeeally good on him :love1:
honeybee
squish

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:04 am I also love Dan's whiny voice at the "you don't even know my name" part. Are there any compilations of Dan whining in that specific tone? Surely he's done it more than once before but the "you have another friend" one is all that's coming to mind.
I was trying to find one bit in the sims where Dan says "What are we even gonna spend it ooonnn" in a whiny tone. Cannot for the life of me find it, tho in the process I did find this one (at 4:19) where he's complaining about kitchen tiles lmao:

liola
rankussy

My god Phil looks better and better in every single picture he posts and manages to be both adorable and sexy in a mature way that just makes me swoon. My crush on Phil Lester is not getting better, asking for a friend how do I stop :garbage: <3

alien
procrastinator

liola wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:16 pm My god Phil looks better and better in every single picture he posts and manages to be both adorable and sexy in a mature way that just makes me swoon. My crush on Phil Lester is not getting better, asking for a friend how do I stop :garbage: <3
There is no stopping. Just ask Dan, that crush has been going "almost 10 years" :garbage:
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Wow, that whiny-Dan clip comes with one hell of a pout. He’d catch a magpie if he was outdoors.

Phil does look good, peachy cheeks and cheekbones. I love that shirt too, it’s the best of them all.
Fazbaz
dank meme

starwatersong wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:28 am
alittledizzy wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:04 am

I also love Dan's whiny voice at the "you don't even know my name" part. Are there any compilations of Dan whining in that specific tone? Surely he's done it more than once before but the "you have another friend" one is all that's coming to mind.
I know of the one at the beginning of Tomska's making of First Contact.

I had to think of PINOF 8 at around 4 minutes ;)
KatjaZoe
sad dimple

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:04 am I also love Dan's whiny voice at the "you don't even know my name" part. Are there any compilations of Dan whining in that specific tone? Surely he's done it more than once before but the "you have another friend" one is all that's coming to mind.
They're not all in that exact tone but I'm going to take this opportunity to plug one of my fav dnp compilations. So adorable.

"He's the guy with his flesh on show. What a hoe.
That's. Our. Dan."
:dogue: :dogue: :dogue:
yeetussy
glabella

20gayteen is now the year they’ve evolved into the ultimate model powercouple they were born to be. :stan: :stan: :stan:

Phil having self-confidence and posting more natural-faced selfies is my aesthetic and my kink. I’ve been #teamquiff since 2015 boys I’m glad I’m finally being fed
Dan wearing whatever he wants and being confident and serving us actual model photos from the best photographer out there feeds my crops and clear my skin.

Just hhhhhh I’m loving this year tbh