Dan & Phil Part 70: giving the people what they want

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

I've got all the compilation page of fan-interactive parts (except the ones based solely on shouts) started here if anyone wants to check it out! Their ~real talk section, the first question in particular, was so lovely to me. I've tried to spoiler everything just for length and neatness and I have tried not to include anything that will stay static (save their explanations of the game in some parts).

Also reminder that if you're attending and want to contribute to the greater good here, please audio record it! (I don't mind doing the legwork and writing things out if you don't want to, all I need is the audio.)
Pamivia
tol bean
Pronouns: she, her

Thanks @so_cheesy and @ame, I had no idea :lol: I won't add anything about that story because everything has already been said, but I find him very cute and grateful the first day was a success :love2:
Re: Phil's photo
I saw that Dan doesn't follow Sophie, Is there a reason why? (Been following the boys since 2011 but in the last couple of years I've become more invested in them and the fandom) I thought they were all friends but only Phil follows her
liola
rankussy

alittledizzy wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:52 pm I've got all the compilation page of fan-interactive parts (except the ones based solely on shouts) started here if anyone wants to check it out! Their ~real talk section, the first question in particular, was so lovely to me. I've tried to spoiler everything just for length and neatness and I have tried not to include anything that will stay static (save their explanations of the game in some parts).

Also reminder that if you're attending and want to contribute to the greater good here, please audio record it! (I don't mind doing the legwork and writing things out if you don't want to, all I need is the audio.)
You are my hero and I worship the ground you walk on :stan: I was so interested on the real talk section in particular, that's truly one thing I want to know about each show because it's something that would rarely come up in liveshows otherwise I feel like!
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
phantastically-avg
sad dimple

alittledizzy wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:52 pm I've got all the compilation page of fan-interactive parts (except the ones based solely on shouts) started here if anyone wants to check it out! Their ~real talk section, the first question in particular, was so lovely to me. I've tried to spoiler everything just for length and neatness and I have tried not to include anything that will stay static (save their explanations of the game in some parts).

Thanks so much for this! These were the parts I really wanted to know, so being able to read a transcript of it is fantastic!
phantastically-avg
sad dimple

Foofie
smol bean

This is great, I love seeing all their answers! You rock!
allsaintshowell
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

hiya :love1: i audio recorded the whole evening show and can chuck a link your way if you want! this goes for anyone else, just send me a pm and please don't report me
ame wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:32 am agreed. i dont have a communications major but i love analyzing things just for funsies. as someone who grew up jumping from one fandom to another, its definitely an interesting thing to discuss. i feel like the most recent hot take on creator vs fandom discussions is quite relevant to this: "how much or little do creators have to share with the fans?"
before, fans are used to having little to no contact with the creators they look up to because back then, internet was still in its infancy. as a result, most older fans are either more laid back or desensitized in a "ive seen EVERYTHING. whats new?" kinda way. however, now its pretty much accessible to anyone. ive seen so much discourse in recent fandoms ranging from fans sending death threats to a voice actor's wife and family for not making their ships canon and fans complaining to the creators for apparently making a "thing" despite the "thing" being a popular headcanon and not a part of the show at all, unless the creator eventually decides to put it in the show itself. both are VERY REAL THINGS ive seen in other fandoms. and the equation almost always is like this "BIG FANDOM = BIG DRAMA".

anyways, this reminds me of a thing i had retweeted a while ago: it walks you through the process of how influence works its way through groups of people and the positive and negative things that can come out of it. its simple and interactive. though i did have to learn psychology for my career, i only know the basics, so this is really interesting to me. sometimes i like to joke that im like an old bean (thought im only like, 24? what the heckie) but i see a difference in how i used to view fandoms and how i view it now. there is definitely a power struggle happening between creators and fans and its really painful to watch sometimes because the most immature and chaotic are usually the loudest. im a daycare teacher who takes care of babies, i see no difference honestly. there has to be a balance of power. i have to acknowledge that i cannot control all the babies, i can only influence their behaviour but at the same time, these dang babies need to understand that whining and crocodile tears wont change the fact that i still need to change their poopy diaper. anyways, im going off-track....

tldr; you should definitely write that paper and you should definitely interview dippy and pippy about it.
spoilers because i write so mUCH IM SORRY
yes!!!!!!!! this is basically what the show is. they explore the mob mentality of fandom, what giving fans full control would lead to, the fact that they're two real people who literally didn't sign up for having every aspect of their lives scrutinized, the difference between Dan And Phil and dan and phil (lmao they really try to claim there is no difference), and the pressure they feel from fans to do x instead of y. they're honestly geniuses for getting people to buy tickets to a 2 hour roast of everything negative about the phandom and disguising it as "giving the people what they want". the question you cited is an underlying thread in the show and comes up a lot re: who they are and what the people want.

i'm honestly not above begging them when i meet them on tuesday to just Let Me. i won't actually beg them, but i'm definitely planning on telling them how much i love the show and how much i desperately need to write a paper about it.
Image Image
dancy
procrastinator

Cute picture and boomerang! Funny how PJ, Sophie and Dan all have the same hair type and colour. I was wondering yesterday if PJ and Sophie had gone to one of the shows but I guess not?

I'm not surprised that they took the videos of the show down and to be very honest, I think it's somewhat disrespectful that people even recorded stuff when they've explicitly stated not to do that. Dan and Phil don't ask a lot from us and the one time they do, it just gets ignored and that does bother me a bit. Each show is supposed to be a unique experience for those who paid for it and I'd also be annoyed if someone in front of me was holding up their phone to film the stage and potentially blocking my view. I get that people are excited and want to share things from the show with others but I've always had an issue with people not knowing how to follow rules :shrug:

Anyway, we've been getting a lot of content lately in the form of IG stories (which are lovely and I wish they would've used it sooner) and tour-related stuff but I already kinda miss the gaming channel tbh (I'm insatiable :lol: ). Unless they've prerecorded anything (which I doubt) I'm not expecting anything anytime soon though and have no idea at what point to plan on going home to film stuff.
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

dancy wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:28 pm I'm not surprised that they took the videos of the show down and to be very honest, I think it's somewhat disrespectful that people even recorded stuff when they've explicitly stated not to do that. Dan and Phil don't ask a lot from us and the one time they do, it just gets ignored and that does bother me a bit. Each show is supposed to be a unique experience for those who paid for it and I'd also be annoyed if someone in front of me was holding up their phone to film the stage and potentially blocking my view. I get that people are excited and want to share things from the show with others but I've always had an issue with people not knowing how to follow rules :shrug:
I do get where you're coming from, and I understand why Dan and Phil might not want people to record, but at the end of the day a majority of the phandom will not be able to attend II. The show seemingly changes somewhat with each performance, so there'll be unique sections at every show. It's completely understandable that a) people who aren't going to a show because they couldn't afford it or tickets were sold out or Dan and Phil aren't bringing the show to their country/city etc would want to see what's going on and b) people generally want access to the parts that are unique to individual shows.

(Also I've been so absent lately and I haven't had the time to keep up with IDB, but I just wanted to say that I hope everyone going to this first lot of shows has/had a fabulous time, and it's so lovely to see Dan and Phil so seemingly happy and fulfilled. The phandom was somewhat of an emotional crutch for me when I wasn't very happy, and now I'm in a much better place I feel like I've drifted away a bit, but I'll always care so deeply for you guys and I miss being more active on here, even if the reason behind my absence is wonderful :love1: )
Lucyrg95
sofa crease

hi guys hope this is okay to post, i'm selling my ticket for Leeds on the 20th May if anyone or anyone you know is interested, it's row 8 so a pretty good seat, it's on Twickets https://www.twickets.live/block/337756228348748,1 :thanks:
hello9217
flower crown

I was wondering if anyone from the show has the transcript of them talking about doing stuff outside of youtube. Many people on twitter seem to be blowing this one part out of context and I would just like to read exactly what was said because it seems so over-exaggerated.

I looked at dizzy's transcript from the first show and, although the hamster documentary is mentioned, I didn't see anything talking about doing stuff outside of youtube. Thank you to anyone who can provide context.
autumnhearth
senpai

:stan: I bow down to you. This is wonderful, no one on Tumblr seemed to remember the Truth Bombs questions, and I love their reactions to each other. And thank you to the people recording. <3

@dancy They mentioned having a couple series on the gaming channel, I would assume that means they are pre-recorded already, but I guess they didn’t explicitly say so.
human
dan hand trash

Here are the lyrics to the Phil Diss Track/Interactive Introverts musical number, to the best of mine and missemma's ability. Huge props to Emma for getting such amazing audio and for the funniest car journey ever ahahah.

Hopefully will be able to update some of the talking parts that are tough to hear at some point.
Phil's Diss Track/Interactive Introverts

[Phil, talks]
It’s time for something fresh
From three years ago (Dan: this is happening)
It might not be amazing (I’m so sorry)
You’re about to get “philled” in!

[Phil, raps]
My name’s Phil Lester
Thankfully not mo (oh okay)
It’s finally time to make my diss track yo (yeah)
Thought I was too innocent to roast myself
Watch out BITCH this might be bad for your health
YouTube dinosaur whose channels older than your mum (yes)
So insanely clumsy always falling on his bum
Some people think its weird 'cos he doesn’t like cheeses
He’s so frickin’ pale think the sun gave him diseases

[Talking]
d: *not audible*
p: I just rhymed cheeses with diseases
d: you did that

[Phil, talks]
It’s only gonna get more brutal
So you might wanna call an ambulance
For me
Or yourself

(Dan: Go!)

[Phil, raps]
His name’s AmazingPhil (what)
So why’s he so great (dunno)
For ten years he had hair from 2008 (ooh)
All that time hiding behind a fringe (yup)
And on top of all that, he’s secretly a ginge
You quiffed it up. what is this - a rebrand?
If you didn’t dye it black you’d be totally bland
And innocent? Whatever, wait ’til you’re in private
Your mouth’s so dirty you sound like a pirate (ooh!)
Innocent? Whatever, you know that’s a lie
You just don’t wanna get demonetised (TRUE!)
Your vids are so sweet you don't even say crap
I bet you’d even sensor the swear in this rap

[Talking]
d: No no Phil, come down the stage!
p: Don’t be so BEEP ridiculous!
d: Don’t do it! Don’t do it!
p: I can’t swear??
d: You’re going to get fined!
p: What the BEEP!
d: No phil STOP get back to rapping, ok

[Phil, raps]
You look like a badly photoshopped Benedict Cumberbatch
Now I realise nothing rhymes with Cumberbatch
So I guess this verse doesn’t rhyme (ok you went there, I’m out bye)
I better get going
End the bants
I murdered this beat like I murder houseplants
You can’t keep a cactus so why’d you want a dog
I give it ten weeks before the funeral vlog
Don’t get me started on that guy called Dan
The only reason I’m here is people ship phan
*Can’t hear this* of living in his shadow
Next thing you know he’ll be playing the piano…

[Piano moves onstage, Dan plays]

[Dan talks to the audience and introduces the true story of Dan and Phil]

[Dan, sings]
Once upon a time there was a boy named Dan
With brown emo hair and a weird brown tan
He spent a lot of time on the internet alone
But on YouTube he found a place to call home

[Talking]
D: you like that, just trying to show off my range
P: yeah

[Dan Singing again]
A magical world of skateboarding cats
Of vloggers and filmmakers and big headed twats (d: you know its true don’t judge me, ok)
But Dan enjoyed this world all alone until
He met a black haired emo called AmazingPhil

[Talking]
P: That’s me!
D: That’s you!

[Dan, sings]
This Phil guy he was weird but also pretty rad
He talked about his life and he wore a lot of plaid
Dan wanted to join in but he couldn’t make clips
So he asked “hey buddy, can I have some editing tips?”

[Dan, talking]
Hit 'em Phil! (seems to be expecting Phil to sing, Phil grabs his hat instead)

[Phil, raps]
Urgh shut up Dan this piano is whack (it isn’t!)
The people liked the rap so philly is back (NO THEY DON’T)
Better hurry up with the story of this track (*inaudible*)
We been friends for ten years they all know the tale
If you didn’t know me you’d be stuck in jail (ok really)
Oh you’re looking at me like this is a betrayal (yes, yes it is)
I guess its time to bail

[Dan tells Phil off and makes him “do something nice”]

[Phil, sings]
The futures unclear
But I know this is true
You’re as important to us as we’re important to you
We never knew we would make it this far
But now we’re on a stage and here we are

[Dan complains that Phil is standing in his light, makes Phil come back to the piano)

[CHORUS, both sing]
(d: We’re just two)
Interactive Introverts
Interactive Introverts
We don’t care if it hurts or not
We just want to give the people what they want
(d: Because we’re)
Interactive Introverts

[Talking]
p: It’s crazy we’ve been friends for so long and never fallen out
d: I’m sure there’s plenty of material

[Sings]
d: Your houseplants have died
p: You don’t go outside
d: Your vision is blurry
p: You are a furry

[Talking]
d: Ok let’s stop, we’re fighting now this bit is too long
P: We might not make it to the end of this song

[Dan pushes Phil’s leg off the piano where he’d started to lie down]

[CHORUS, both sing]
(d: ‘Cos we’re)
Interactive Introverts
Interactive Introverts
Thanks for watching and for all of the memes
This is terrible but what self esteem
Interactive Introverts
Interactive Introverts

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

human wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:13 pm Here are the lyrics to the Phil Diss Track/Interactive Introverts musical number, to the best of mine and missemma's ability. Huge props to Emma for getting such amazing audio and for the funniest car journey ever ahahah.

Hopefully will be able to update some of the talking parts that are tough to hear at some point.

[Phil, talks]

[Phil, raps]
My name’s Phil Lester
YouTube dinosaur channel older than your mum (yes)
People think its weird 'cos he doesn’t like cheeses

[Talking]
p: *can’t hear what he says* rhyming cheeses with diseases
d: It was weird but at least it rhymed
p: *not audible*

[Phil, talks]
For me
Or yourself

[Phil, raps]
Your vids are so sweet you can’t even say crap

[Talking]

[Phil, raps]
I better get going
End the bants

[Dan, sings]
Of vloggers and filmmakers and big headed twats (d: you know its true don’t judge me, ok)

[Talking]

[Dan, sings]

[Dan, talking]
Hit it Phil! (seems to be expecting Phil to sing, Phil grabs his hat instead)

[Phil, raps]
Better hurry up with the story on this track (*inaudible*)
If it didn’t know me you’d be stuck in jail (ok really)
Oh no, you’re looking at me like this is a betrayal (yes, yes it is)
I guess its time to bail

[Phil, sings]
The futures unclear
But I know this is true

[Dan complains that Phil is standing in his light, makes Phil come back to the piano)

[CHORUS, both sing]
Interactive Introverts
Interactive Introverts
Interactive Introverts

[Talking]

[Sings]

[Talking]

[CHORUS, both sing]
Interactive Introverts
Interactive Introverts
Interactive Introverts
Interactive Introverts

Omg thank you, I love actually seeing the lyrics written out!
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

did cornelia go with deppy and snip (im calling sophie and pj snip now)
to brunch? from her insta story, she was also in brighton and at a cafe place. the person sitting across from her i assume was martyn, he had a ii shirt on.
i love triple/double dates <3
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

human wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:13 pm Here are the lyrics to the Phil Diss Track/Interactive Introverts musical number, to the best of mine and missemma's ability. Huge props to Emma for getting such amazing audio and for the funniest car journey ever ahahah.

[Phil, talks]

[Phil, raps]
My name’s Phil Lester
YouTube dinosaur whose channels older than your mum (yes)
Some people think its weird 'cos he doesn’t like cheeses

[Talking]
p: I just rhymed cheeses with diseases

[Phil, talks]
For me
Or yourself

[Phil, raps]
Your vids are so sweet you don't even say crap

[Talking]

[Phil, raps]
I better get going
End the bants

[Dan, sings]

[Talking]
D: you like that, just trying to show off my range
P: yeah

[Dan Singing again]

[Talking]

[Dan, sings]

[Dan, talking]
Hit 'em Phil! (seems to be expecting Phil to sing, Phil grabs his hat instead)

[Phil, raps]
Better hurry up with the story of this track (*inaudible*)
If you didn’t know me you’d be stuck in jail (ok really)
Oh you’re looking at me like this is a betrayal (yes, yes it is)
I guess its time to bail

[Phil, sings]
The futures unclear
But I know this is true

[CHORUS, both sing]
Interactive Introverts
Interactive Introverts
Interactive Introverts

[Talking]

[Sings]

[Talking]

[CHORUS, both sing]
Interactive Introverts
Interactive Introverts
Interactive Introverts
Interactive Introverts

Hahaha best car journey ever, I literally know every single word to this song now and I LOVE IT SO FUCKING MUCH bitch. I'm just working on my Brighton review and wow it's long. Also, I re-uploaded the audio again so if anyone wants it hit me up.
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

ugh yes thank you so much for this!
i have just become more aware of how much the phandom over reacts (including me) from that whole "hamster documentary" thing, how does that read as "we're splitting up" ??
btw this isn't @ anyone here at all, i mean mostly in tumblr. although i did make a response yesterday because i was anxious from not getting enough context
i'm much calmer now and back to being excited for tour!!!!!!
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

ratlad wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:13 pm

i have just become more aware of how much the phandom over reacts (including me) from that whole "hamster documentary" thing, how does that read as "we're splitting up" ??
btw this isn't @ anyone here at all, i mean mostly in tumblr. although i did make a response yesterday because i was anxious from not getting enough context
Actually the part people were talking about gets referenced again later, but...
Dan changed it up to make it much, much less ominous sounding in the second show. I think perhaps he didn't realize quite how heavy the wording was the first time and then changed it to match the intention of what he was saying. It comes during a kind of mushy moment where he's talking about why connecting with the audience is important.

Matinee version:
D: Me and Phil, because we’ve just been following this happy accidental adventure of Dan and Phil - (Dan misspeaks, everyone laughs) - but a time may come when we’ll want to follow rainbows of our own. For example, Phil will want to-
P: I might want to make this not-hamster documentary.
D: And I don’t want to follow Phil down that path. Before that happens, that is why we wanted to have this opportunity to actually interact with you and feel like we had a conversation, we saw your faces, we managed to bond with each other.
Evening show version:
D: I think it's safe to say that EVENTUALLY we might want to do SOME projects that are just for ourselves, like what were you saying the other -
P: Yeah I was saying I might make a documentary about odd socks. Where do the other socks go?
D: And we all support him. But I don't need to join him on that adventure, right?
P: No.
D: But before that, while we're all here today we want to let you in, to like the real Dan and Phil connection.
P: The raw, intimate connection.
D: Literally, stop saying intimate.
P: I didn't make it better by putting raw in front of it, did I?
AroboticPhil
sad dimple
Pronouns: she

alittledizzy, human and missemma : thank you so much for recording and writing all of this down, I'm so glad to have a transcript of the show, thank you!! <3

I hope no one is too worried anymore because I'm 100% sure there's no reason to be. i mean, they're literally gonna spend 5 months glued together travelling around the world, then go back to their shared flat, film pinof10, eat mince pies at christmas, find a forever home and a dog. like all of those are things they've literally confirmed are happening so yeah :D
tho i'm glad dan changed his wording, the evening version is way more clear and tbh i'm excited to see solo projects from them too in the future!

I also miss gaming videos (because I'm never satisfied) ... maybe we'll get one tonight if they don't have any show ?
knq
lava lamp

alittledizzy wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:43 pm
ratlad wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:13 pm

Dan changed it up to make it much, much less ominous sounding in the second show. I think perhaps he didn't realize quite how heavy the wording was the first time and then changed it to match the intention of what he was saying. It comes during a kind of mushy moment where he's talking about why connecting with the audience is important.

Matinee version:
D: Me and Phil, because we’ve just been following this happy accidental adventure of Dan and Phil - (Dan misspeaks, everyone laughs) - but a time may come when we’ll want to follow rainbows of our own. For example, Phil will want to-
D: And I don’t want to follow Phil down that path. Before that happens, that is why we wanted to have this opportunity to actually interact with you and feel like we had a conversation, we saw your faces, we managed to bond with each other.
Evening show version:
D: I think it's safe to say that EVENTUALLY we might want to do SOME projects that are just for ourselves, like what were you saying the other -
P: Yeah I was saying I might make a documentary about odd socks. Where do the other socks go?
D: And we all support him. But I don't need to join him on that adventure, right?
D: But before that, while we're all here today we want to let you in, to like the real Dan and Phil connection.
I am loving your transcripts, thank you! The screaming in the videos is too much for me; it's like 50% of the reason I'm not going to II. So this is awesome!

Have you transcribed the part where Dan calls them soulmates? I'm want to know if I missed out on something cute.
hello9217
flower crown

alittledizzy wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:43 pm

Matinee version:
Evening show version:
Thanks for posting this. People on twitter are really blowing this whole thing out of proportion. I don't understand why separate projects equates to dan and phil not being together. Dan does solo projects all the time and Phil is always there cheering him on but because they are now actually addressing it, it turns into a whole thing. Also much like I said yesterday I am very interested to see what Phil can do outside of youtube and the dan and phil brand. Watching his old videos highlights how creative he is and I feel like he does have millions of ideas that he could put forth to create something really spectacular.

I also see people saying they are becoming anti again because of the line in phil's diss track where he said the only reason people are there is because of phan. They see that as them openly addressing it and therefore dismissing it. I wasn't here at the time but I believe Dan's diss track came with the same "backlash." The part where he said people only watch him because they ship him with Phil. The point of a diss track is to be your own hater. I only see dan and phil becoming more open with not only themselves but also their relationship and it is so disappointing when people pick out every little thing and twist it to fit their own narrative.
liola
rankussy

Can I just add a pointless comment about how we're here talking about the discourse of what's gonna happen after tour while Phil Lester is out there filming Dan on the beach for no other reason than he wants to show what he's enjoying to us? Am I the only one that is finding these instagram stories so endearing and Idk almost mindlessly open? Like yeah it's just a boomerang of Dan looking at the sea but it's something Phil is sharing with us, with no funny caption, no silly story attached, just that second of his view that he wants us to know.
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

If anyone wants to read my review it is lonnnnng and here however be warned I haven't listed anything under the spoiler tag so only click if you don't care about being spoiled.
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
phantastically-avg
sad dimple

@ratlad The cafe Cornelia was in was different (different table design) so not a triple date (at the cafe anyway).
Last edited by phantastically-avg on Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sugar
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: they/them

liola wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:47 pm Can I just add a pointless comment about how we're here talking about the discourse of what's gonna happen after tour while Phil Lester is out there filming Dan on the beach for no other reason than he wants to show what he's enjoying to us? Am I the only one that is finding these instagram stories so endearing and Idk almost mindlessly open? Like yeah it's just a boomerang of Dan looking at the sea but it's something Phil is sharing with us, with no funny caption, no silly story attached, just that second of his view that he wants us to know.
big agree. incredibly endearing and very...open for phil. every day i’m
more and more grateful for these insta stories.