Dan & Phil Part 70: giving the people what they want

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
phantastically-avg
sad dimple

And now I want fish and chips even though I've just eaten...
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

alittledizzy wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:43 pm
ratlad wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:13 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:52 pm I've got all the compilation page of fan-interactive parts (except the ones based solely on shouts) started here if anyone wants to check it out! Their ~real talk section, the first question in particular, was so lovely to me. I've tried to spoiler everything just for length and neatness and I have tried not to include anything that will stay static (save their explanations of the game in some parts).

Also reminder that if you're attending and want to contribute to the greater good here, please audio record it! (I don't mind doing the legwork and writing things out if you don't want to, all I need is the audio.)
ugh yes thank you so much for this!
i have just become more aware of how much the phandom over reacts (including me) from that whole "hamster documentary" thing, how does that read as "we're splitting up" ??
btw this isn't @ anyone here at all, i mean mostly in tumblr. although i did make a response yesterday because i was anxious from not getting enough context
i'm much calmer now and back to being excited for tour!!!!!!
Actually the part people were talking about gets referenced again later, but...
Dan changed it up to make it much, much less ominous sounding in the second show. I think perhaps he didn't realize quite how heavy the wording was the first time and then changed it to match the intention of what he was saying. It comes during a kind of mushy moment where he's talking about why connecting with the audience is important.

Matinee version:
D: Me and Phil, because we’ve just been following this happy accidental adventure of Dan and Phil - (Dan misspeaks, everyone laughs) - but a time may come when we’ll want to follow rainbows of our own. For example, Phil will want to-
P: I might want to make this not-hamster documentary.
D: And I don’t want to follow Phil down that path. Before that happens, that is why we wanted to have this opportunity to actually interact with you and feel like we had a conversation, we saw your faces, we managed to bond with each other.
Evening show version:
D: I think it's safe to say that EVENTUALLY we might want to do SOME projects that are just for ourselves, like what were you saying the other -
P: Yeah I was saying I might make a documentary about odd socks. Where do the other socks go?
D: And we all support him. But I don't need to join him on that adventure, right?
P: No.
D: But before that, while we're all here today we want to let you in, to like the real Dan and Phil connection.
P: The raw, intimate connection.
D: Literally, stop saying intimate.
P: I didn't make it better by putting raw in front of it, did I?
ohh okok, thanks again!!!!
raw... ok.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
autumnhearth
senpai
Pronouns: she/her

missemma wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:54 pm If anyone wants to read my review it is lonnnnng and here however be warned I haven't listed anything under the spoiler tag so only click if you don't care about being spoiled.
Thank you! This was wonderful to read and I feel more comfortable in general about the show.

Anyone know what the condiments with the fish and chips are. I’m assuming the white is tartar sauce but I’m not sure on the brown and have no idea about the green.
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

That's two photos of Dan with meat now. I'm thinking he's not currently vegetarian, at least not for tour. You could argue that he didn't eat the meat last night even if he eats fish I suppose. With the amount of food they instagram I'm sure we'll find out sooner or later.

Brown could be ketchup or hp sauce ( i think its ketchup but the light is hitting it weirdly) but green is definitely mushy peas
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
omgjo
smol bean

I was thinking the brown is curry sauce? A classic with fish and chips if you ask me!

.. Or maybe gravy. Another classic if you're from up north so I've heard?
phantastically-avg
sad dimple

The brown could also be BBQ sauce (bleh), but curry sauce seem more likely. Nowhere near a big enough pot if it's gravy, it'd be cruel to give someone so little.

Also gravy is finally a thing down south at my local places, for which I'm forever grateful!
ratlad
angel bean

i can't wait for more cute boyfriend pictures from them :garbage:
okay not gonna lie, i really want a gaming vid tonight... i feel bad because we're kinda getting spoiled but i just want to see them interact for like 15 minutes.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I just added the fan-submitted sections from the Brighton evening show!
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

autumnhearth wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:47 pm
missemma wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:54 pm If anyone wants to read my review it is lonnnnng and here however be warned I haven't listed anything under the spoiler tag so only click if you don't care about being spoiled.
Thank you! This was wonderful to read and I feel more comfortable in general about the show.

Anyone know what the condiments with the fish and chips are. I’m assuming the white is tartar sauce but I’m not sure on the brown and have no idea about the green.
Aw thank you! Glad you enjoyed reading it, sorry it was so long!

The brown thing is definitely gravy! Green stuff is mushy peas which is a very British thing to have with fish and chips!
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

lilabet wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:50 pm That's two photos of Dan with meat now. I'm thinking he's not currently vegetarian, at least not for tour. You could argue that he didn't eat the meat last night even if he eats fish I suppose. With the amount of food they instagram I'm sure we'll find out sooner or later.
Yep, I think one must concede that he's not currently being vegetarian--possibly because it's hard to do on tour, or because he just wants to be eating meat right now, or because he hasn't been a vegetarian for a while, or who knows! That was definitely fish n chips in front of him today, and there was not enough non-meat food in front of him last night to feed a hungry guy.

And fish is meat. :scram:
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

lefthandedism wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:46 pm
lilabet wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:50 pm That's two photos of Dan with meat now. I'm thinking he's not currently vegetarian, at least not for tour. You could argue that he didn't eat the meat last night even if he eats fish I suppose. With the amount of food they instagram I'm sure we'll find out sooner or later.
Yep, I think one must concede that he's not currently being vegetarian--possibly because it's hard to do on tour, or because he just wants to be eating meat right now, or because he hasn't been a vegetarian for a while, or who knows! That was definitely fish n chips in front of him today, and there was not enough non-meat food in front of him last night to feed a hungry guy.

And fish is meat. :scram:
i know theres different kinds of vegetarian people (im just going to slap this first result i got from google because i obviously dont know all of the type at the top of my head https://vegetarian-nation.com/resources ... egetarian/ ) and so long as hes not vegan, then its fine for him to eat some kind of meat, depending on what he aims to be.

or it could also be that he tried the vegan diet and ultimately decided it wasnt for him and thats also a valid choice. im not one myself but i know families and people who are and it takes a lot of motivation (especially when just starting out), will power and meal planning to be one.
"you are next to me in my life"
liola
rankussy

I was really hoping for a gaming video given that they got the first shows out of the way and they had a day off but I guess not? I get that they've been busy with your but I'm really missing some longer content and it's barely been a week sigh
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

VIP bag: donate £10 to be in to win!

Donate £10 or more to Dan’s birthday drive and be in to win an Interactive Introverts VIP bag!
This includes the tote, lanyard, wristband and small poster (slightly crumpled).

To be entered into the draw you need to :
  • Make sure you do NOT use gift aid for this donation (we need to make sure we don’t break the law)
  • Include your username and social media platform in your name or message so I can contact you
  • Donate by the 13th of May
I will do a random draw of names on May 14th and announce the winner.

Thank you to the lovely @blackdenim who kindly donated this.

I plan to announce other items which you could win once I attend my own shows next week. If you have items you want to give away please let me know by sending me a DM. If someone is able to get something signed that would be amazing. Only if you don't want your own autograph obviously.

@lefthandedism haha I agree but I couldn't be bothered mentioning pescetarianism mostly because I just had to google how to spell it :lol:
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
aleanna
glabella

Has anyone seen any post about the VIP bags? Are there any posts with descriptions/picture? Thanks!
Check out my YouTube channel where I post badly edited vlog-things: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4MzLr ... nRQQMRpp6A
hello9217
flower crown

aleanna wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:37 pm Has anyone seen any post about the VIP bags? Are there any posts with descriptions/picture? Thanks!
Put under spoiler just in case.
iero
phabergé

I doubt dans vegetarian at all tbh, it would take minimal effort to be vegetarian on tour..so I doubt he’s just eating meat for the tour.
ratlad
angel bean

iero wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:57 pm I doubt dans vegetarian at all tbh, it would take minimal effort to be vegetarian on tour..so I doubt he’s just eating meat for the tour.
true, there's lots of vegetarian take out options and he can probably afford it.
there's nothing wrong with him eating whatever he wants though, and he probably needs to eat more while on tour because he needs the energy (that goes for lil philly too)
i didn't even think he was vegetarian in the first place since he tried going vegan.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

On the “soulmates” bit, it was really jokey.
Near the start when they’re introducing the show, Dan says, “Dan and Phil - big YouTubers, best friends, soulmates” and they stood next to each other and smiled in that sarcastic cutesy way.
pearshaped34
morning quiff

iero wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:57 pm I doubt dans vegetarian at all tbh, it would take minimal effort to be vegetarian on tour..so I doubt he’s just eating meat for the tour.
Same. Mostly because I think if Dan hadn't been eating meat for as long as people on here have been speculating he hasn't been he'd have shared because he'd be proud of himself. He has brought up attempts at veganism in early days and when he only intends to do it short term so I don't know why he'd keep vegetarianism so close to the chest.
karma_yeah
philussy

liola wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:47 pm Can I just add a pointless comment about how we're here talking about the discourse of what's gonna happen after tour while Phil Lester is out there filming Dan on the beach for no other reason than he wants to show what he's enjoying to us? Am I the only one that is finding these instagram stories so endearing and Idk almost mindlessly open? Like yeah it's just a boomerang of Dan looking at the sea but it's something Phil is sharing with us, with no funny caption, no silly story attached, just that second of his view that he wants us to know.
I still have a page and a half to catch up on (not counting the reviews of the show, thank you, :thankyou: :stan: ) but I have to say :thumb: I agree, and well said (bolded part)!!

I agree, it seems 100% mindlessly open and heartfelt. Loving 2018, hoping it will last!

And I was very impressed with the change they made to the ending that had people thinking this was the beginning of the end for :deppy: (I'm sorry, I didn't note who to credit for the transcript, but you know who you are and that you are amazing :love2: ) They are soooo aware of the way the winds are blowing in the phandom, and I give them a lot of props for addressing things so quickly. But then again, they are both very creative, and clearly savvy business people, so . . .
What goes around, comes around Image
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

Much as i love the little IG stories, the slowdown in the regular content seems to be already happening. I think they may have one D&P games vid in the pipeline but after that i'm curious how the shows will be affecting the channels.
They are really pulling out all registers when it comes to the IG stories. I think they're consciously being very fanservicey ('giving the people what they want') but I don't care, they look very cute doing it and they are very well made. I think they're also just having a lot of fun messing about with the stickers and filters and finding opportunities to put pressure on each other by being able to whip out that camera whenever and start filming the other guy :mrgreen:

Their diet choices always seem draw a lot of interest. My two cents is that Dan probably hasn't managed to eat vegetarian for longer than a couple of weeks. He voiced that he wanted too, but I'm not sure how much of his motivation was really inner motivation. As the food pics show so far, in practice at least he seems to have quit his vegetarianism.
But bruh, it's vintage Dan and Phil to turn their (3) drinks and ordered meals into half of their content :)

On the "soulmates" and best friends :
I think they mean what they say. They have consistently presented themselves as friends in every major project they've done and I'm seeing no particular reason here to assume they're were just saying that as some sarcastic joke or that they were being dishonest.
On the “soulmates” bit, it was really jokey.
Near the start when they’re introducing the show, Dan says, “Dan and Phil - big YouTubers, best friends, soulmates” and they stood next to each other and smiled in that sarcastic cutesy way.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
allsaintshowell
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

transcribed my audio of the soulmates bit because i'm desperately avoiding an essay:
context: second half of the show, introducing the next bit that revolves around testing their friendship
D: We’ve explored a lot of angles in this show tonight.
P: Yeah, we’ve explored the angle of how well you know each other–
D: Who you are.
P: Yeah!
D: What you want, what you want from us.
P: How well we know you, how well you know us, but we haven’t explored one of the angles. Angle. [Phil gestures, crowd laughs]
D: There’s one thing that we haven’t really gone into yet.
P: It is the connection between Dan and Phil.
[crowd screams]
D: Dan and Phil, superstar YouTube duo, best friends and soulmates forever! [crowd screams again] Or, is that all a lie that we just turn on for the cameras?!
P: It is a lie, we actually hate each other.
D: Totally. Phil is just an actor that I hired off of Craigslist–
P: I am.
D: –to follow me around (something i literally can’t make out)
P: I can’t get out of the contract. Let me go.
#letphilgo
don't quite understand why people were/are expecting a gaming video soon. i wasn't even expecting anything to be uploaded this week/weekend since, y'know, they were frantically rehearsing with the full set and then starting the tour. i'm willing to cut them slack in the beginning.
Image Image
aleanna
glabella

hello9217 wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:56 pm
aleanna wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:37 pm Has anyone seen any post about the VIP bags? Are there any posts with descriptions/picture? Thanks!
Put under spoiler just in case.
Thank you! The show I'm going to isn't until August, so I'm living for all of thee spoilers right now. I'm excited to get my hands on the vip swag and some ii merch...4 months from now...
Check out my YouTube channel where I post badly edited vlog-things: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4MzLr ... nRQQMRpp6A
sparkle
blobfish

Fucking hell theres only been two shows and this is an accurate representation of me trying to avoid ANY spoilers

on the plus side, i've only seen a grand total of 4 but I am prepared to exile myself until the 15th. I want as much to be a surprise as humanly possible; I've seen what I wanted to see, which was literally the M&G stuff, and now I'm going into full lockdown mode.

I'm also going to say a resounding fuck you to Dan for making me want fish and chips SO BADLY. Like they're probably the one thing I really, really miss since going vegetarian and are probably one of the few things I'd genuinely give in to because they're just SO GOOD. Also if that isn't gravy with them and instead is some abomination like brown sauce I'm judging him (lol can you tell im northern?) - and thats only for chips. The ONLY acceptable thing to put on fish is a fuckton of salt and vinegar, anything else and you're actually satan - and if you put curry sauce on a fish then I honestly think you need to reevaluate your life. Though he also got them down south and I am of the opinion you cannot get decent fish and chips outside of West Yorkshire so.... I'm judging him anyway :lol: and dont even get me started on mushy peas :yuck:
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle:
knq
lava lamp

allsaintshowell wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:12 am transcribed my audio of the soulmates bit because i'm desperately avoiding an essay:
context: second half of the show, introducing the next bit that revolves around testing their friendship
D: We’ve explored a lot of angles in this show tonight.
P: Yeah, we’ve explored the angle of how well you know each other–
D: Who you are.
P: Yeah!
D: What you want, what you want from us.
P: How well we know you, how well you know us, but we haven’t explored one of the angles. Angle. [Phil gestures, crowd laughs]
D: There’s one thing that we haven’t really gone into yet.
P: It is the connection between Dan and Phil.
[crowd screams]
D: Dan and Phil, superstar YouTube duo, best friends and soulmates forever! [crowd screams again] Or, is that all a lie that we just turn on for the cameras?!
P: It is a lie, we actually hate each other.
D: Totally. Phil is just an actor that I hired off of Craigslist–
P: I am.
D: –to follow me around (something i literally can’t make out)
P: I can’t get out of the contract. Let me go.
#letphilgo
don't quite understand why people were/are expecting a gaming video soon. i wasn't even expecting anything to be uploaded this week/weekend since, y'know, they were frantically rehearsing with the full set and then starting the tour. i'm willing to cut them slack in the beginning.
Thank you for transcribing! That whole exchange is very ‘Dan and Phil.’ There’s really no better descriptor.

I’ll be pleasantly surprised if they share more than monthly gaming content. I know they’ve said some encouraging things about series but I just can’t imagine how they’re going to fit that into their schedule. That’s just me though, I know I’m just most comfortable having low expectations generally.

IG stories are a blessing. Dan, Phil, and food are my OT3.