Dan & Phil Part 73: my furry bf

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
hello9217
flower crown
Pronouns: she/her

I'm somewhat confused because last tour they did 1 liveshow while they were traveling, and it was laggy as hell, but now that they are saying that they will do weekly live shows and continue with instagram stories and at the very least uploading one video on at least one of their platforms weekly it's an issue? Like the app could go to shit but they needed someone to sponsor the tour and at the end of the day they are youtubers who aren't some big named people who can get a big named brand to sponsor them. They have worked with younow for years, been a partner with them for a long time, so it makes so much since that they would want dnp to help them get the word out about their new app. Idk think what you want to think but I would much rather have what we do now then what other people got on their last tour, which was a whole lot of nothing.
human
dan hand trash

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:52 pm
human wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:50 pm Dreading the live show tomorrow (and I've never said that before lol). That blimin' app. I'll be putting a stick over my camera. Me and @missemma accidentally went live when in bed very late one night in Amsterdam on this tour and I'm not impressed with how ridiculous this app is.

Completely random question but I've been watching some of Jaackmaate's videos again lately, have he and Deppy ever crossed paths at all? I'd be intrigued to see if they have ever recognised him or any of his content.
Hey, you guys did a thoroughly enjoyable liveshow in Amsterdam..... but no the app is still absolute shite.

jaackmaate actually went through a brief burst in late 2009 of tweeting Phil a lot, but I don't think Phil ever replied. So either he was a Phil stan from the 2009 era or... he just wanted to try and buddy up to popular youtubers of the time. I also know in a couple liveshows he's been asked about Dan and Phil and basically just stayed really neutral, said he didn't know them and thinks they're nice but not content he'd watch.
HAHAHAHAH! I can’t believe how bad that app is. I’m totally sticking something over my iPhone camera tonight. Anyone else doing likewise? I don’t trust the damn thing at all.

I couldn’t recall that Deppy had ever mentioned Jaackmaate which I found curious, I’ve never seen the mentions of Deppy by Jaack though. Was it in a video?
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Ugh I hate the Rize app, it's pure shit and Deppy can kiss my fat ass but I won't download it. But it's also like... they found a sponsor who is seemingly willing to sponsor the entire tour and not just the USA leg like Crunchyroll last time. Plus it's from the creators of a platform they have been on for years and have a good relationship with. So I get it, I guess. This was a good sponsor. A really shitty app, but a good sponsor. :shrug:

If nothing else, at least we can be entertained by the mess that is most likely gonna occur. If it crashes within 10 minutes we can all have a good laugh, makes jokes about it until the end of time and Depz still get paid. :thumb:

To be honest I don't have a lot of complaints about content during the tour atm. I'm genuinely surprised about it as well. We're getting a decent amount of YouTube content between Phil and the gaming channel, and I have enjoyed most of it which means multiple rewatches for me. The Instastories usually really satisfy my content cravings as well. I'm also cheating because I'm a bit busy with another fandom rn, but I'm still quite happy with what they've been putting out.

Doesn't mean I have no complaints at all though, I wouldn't be me if I didn't have something to whine about. :twisted: I wish they wouldn't let their Twitter die in favor of Instagram, but we already knew their social media game has been a bit laughable for a while. They just can't seem to do multiple platforms at the same time. Dan's channel... idk what the fuck is up with him. I get that he's busy with tour, but it's more likely that he's just not into it. I don't think the rebrand had the effect that he wanted, and that he still struggles with his past. The sudden mass deletion/privatization of videos a while back is evidence of that. I hope he'll get back into it soon, but for now I don't think we'll see improvement even after the mysterious June video. I'll be surprised if we get another video before the end of August.

In the meantime, I also have a fun project for the phandom. It's called; 'Stop Tanking Dan And Phil's Views By Uploading Half The Video Onto Social Media You Dumbasses'. Now I'll admit, I'm very guilty of retweeting clips of new videos myself. But I feel like so many people are doing it now that it is starting to affect their views. There's no reason for people to go back to the video to rewatch it or even watch it at all, if 10 people have already uploaded all the good bits onto the timeline. That's a really bad thing. And if a previous video hasn't reached a certain amount of views yet, D&P are more likely to let the video sit there for a bit until it does before upload another. That means less content for us. We're really shooting ourselves in the foot and affecting D&P's relevance and income with this shit, and it's time to stop. It doesn't benefit anyone except the people who do it because it's an easy way to get likes, retweets and followers.

I might make a Twitter rant thread on this when I have the time tbh.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
knq
lava lamp

For anyone who's tried the Rize app, is there any way to put it in landscape mode? As far as I can tell, the people broadcasting are always in the top half of the screen. If I turn my phone sideways, the app doesn't turn with it. :shrug:

For the flat theorists: apparently the pigeon balcony--whatever part of their apartment(s) that connects to--is quite high up! The reflection in Dan's promo sunglasses shows the top of a few buildings. That surprises me, as I thought they were within a few floors of ground level. There's that one photo of Dan watching politics with pizza where you can see a tree through the window.

Maybe they really do live on 10 floors.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Anyone thinking of screen recording, it seems it doesn’t capture audio after all, the devs must have blocked it. I can try capturing it with the mic of another device. This’ll be fun, anyway :roll: I do think it’s sad that they didn’t notice or mind that the app is still very crashy and not even available on a lot of android phones. Maybe they had no idea and the YouNow people sold it to them all smoothly.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Catallena wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:32 pmIn the meantime, I also have a fun project for the phandom. It's called; 'Stop Tanking Dan And Phil's Views By Uploading Half The Video Onto Social Media You Dumbasses'. Now I'll admit, I'm very guilty of retweeting clips of new videos myself. But I feel like so many people are doing it now that it is starting to affect their views. There's no reason for people to go back to the video to rewatch it or even watch it at all, if 10 people have already uploaded all the good bits onto the timeline. That's a really bad thing. And if a previous video hasn't reached a certain amount of views yet, D&P are more likely to let the video sit there for a bit until it does before upload another. That means less content for us. We're really shooting ourselves in the foot and affecting D&P's relevance and income with this shit, and it's time to stop. It doesn't benefit anyone except the people who do it because it's an easy way to get likes, retweets and followers.
That's a really good point that I never stopped to think about. Between dozens of people doing that on twitter, tumblr, instagram, and youtube snippet compilations (though they do at least get the money from youtube ones, so maybe that doesn't count as much) that each get thousands of views... Dan and Phil potentially could lose a few hundred thousand views per video if you assume none of those people rewatching snipplets ever go back to rewatch the whole video.
flarequake wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:02 pm Anyone thinking of screen recording, it seems it doesn’t capture audio after all, the devs must have blocked it. I can try capturing it with the mic of another device. This’ll be fun, anyway :roll: I do think it’s sad that they didn’t notice or mind that the app is still very crashy and not even available on a lot of android phones. Maybe they had no idea and the YouNow people sold it to them all smoothly.
Fingers crossed you can figure it out!! Or if not, that someone does. I'll be watching live but along with everyone else I'm fully expecting it to crash or only a limited number of people to get to watch.
sugar
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: they/them

while i am expecting it to be a bit of a trainwreck, i have to say i'm really excited to finally get some live joint deppy content again. also if they have to sit really close together to fit on screen...well...you won't hear me complain. :lol:
sonicgreen
woodland creature

flarequake wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:02 pm Anyone thinking of screen recording, it seems it doesn’t capture audio after all, the devs must have blocked it. I can try capturing it with the mic of another device. This’ll be fun, anyway :roll:
Really?? I have been working on how to screen record for the past hour (and also how to edit it for uploading on YT), and I haven't had any issues with audio if I use the iPhone screen recording button? My back-up plan is streaming my phone to computer and getting second-hand audio, (where my mac records my iphones sound...) Ugh this is a pain in the ass and will probably all fall apart when the stream doesn't even last 10 minutes...

Edit: ok i think i have figured out how to put it all together (given that i get any footage today) if I were to finish, would the person who runs the IDB Youtube page want it? I think that would be a better place to put it than on my non-existent channel...
Last edited by sonicgreen on Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amberblogslife
squish

I'll be using 2 screen record apps on an android (I'm one of the few android users who can actually access the app yeey) as well as secondhand audio via laptop. Anything for my stranded android buddies. Sound has been cool with me so far, and I'm planning on getting the video out before midnight depending on how bad the editing job is :) only question remains: should I put it on unlisted? and have people PM me for the link? since it's so unclear whether or not dnp are okay with people re-uploading this stream?
Constantly in an existential crisis.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

I hope everyone's attempts to record the show work out well, though I'd probably give the show about 5 mins before it crashes. It's too bad I'm at work for the show and can't watch the mess unfold live lol
obvsly
#relatable

I'm having a little bet with myself about what would happen first: my phone dies of overheating or the app crashing. Maybe I should throw inappropriate on-screen chat messages into the mix as well. I think it's gonna be a really fun night for us. :lol:
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

i haven't even tried to download the rize app bc of how much everyone doesn't like it lmao
:transheart:
ratlad
angel bean

ok i got the app to work with a phone number but i am very much thrown off by my own face and the fact that it asks to record audio... it all seems tobe running smoothly though.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
sonicgreen
woodland creature

ratlad wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:23 pm ok i got the app to work with a phone number but i am very much thrown off by my own face and the fact that it asks to record audio... it all seems tobe running smoothly though.
i'm on team put-a-sticker-on-the-camera :shock:
dancy
procrastinator

Yeah, I don't really get it when people seem to get angry at D&P in this whole Rize situation. Is it a shitty app? Yup. Is that D&P's fault? Nah. I can absolutely see why they partnered with Rize and I'm just hoping things will improve to make the app more accessible, functional and user-friendly.
Catallena wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:32 pm In the meantime, I also have a fun project for the phandom. It's called; 'Stop Tanking Dan And Phil's Views By Uploading Half The Video Onto Social Media You Dumbasses'. Now I'll admit, I'm very guilty of retweeting clips of new videos myself. But I feel like so many people are doing it now that it is starting to affect their views. There's no reason for people to go back to the video to rewatch it or even watch it at all, if 10 people have already uploaded all the good bits onto the timeline. That's a really bad thing. And if a previous video hasn't reached a certain amount of views yet, D&P are more likely to let the video sit there for a bit until it does before upload another. That means less content for us. We're really shooting ourselves in the foot and affecting D&P's relevance and income with this shit, and it's time to stop. It doesn't benefit anyone except the people who do it because it's an easy way to get likes, retweets and followers.
Is this not something that has been happening for ages though? I mean, I haven't been in the phandom for a super long time yet but I can't really say that I see more video clips on my TL now than I did about 8 months ago. Though, I can see how Youtube compilation videos could kinda affect their views as those tend to be longer, get recommended and show more highlights than a single short clip on Twitter that goes around for maybe a day of two. However, I think the decrease in views is more due to other factors, like Youtube-related issues (algorithm, subscription boxes, notifications etc.) and lack of interest.

Honestly, I think they'd be better off if they played different games and consistently made their thumbnails and video titles more interesting, so they would appeal more to casual viewers. Lots of people like and are familiar with the Sims and Cards Against Humanity, so of course those videos do way better than Dragon City and Mount Your Friends. Or, I quite liked the last video but I can see why a casual viewer might not be that interested when it's called "Dan vs Phil - Extreme Tetris" and why one would rather watch "Dan (scared of spiders) explores a cave (literally full of spiders)" than "Dan plays Skyrim VR".

There also seems to be this pattern where videos that have somewhere between 300k-400k views after 24 hours get stuck at around 600k-700k views after a lil' while (Dragon City, Golf With Friends, Mount Your Friends, Crash Bandicoot and where Tricky Towers seems to be heading) and videos that get over 500k views in the first 24 hours tend to get to a million views eventually (Sims, What Would You Do If, Google Feud, Guess the Wikihow etc).
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

dancy wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:25 pm Yeah, I don't really get it when people seem to get angry at D&P in this whole Rize situation. Is it a shitty app? Yup. Is that D&P's fault? Nah. I can absolutely see why they partnered with Rize and I'm just hoping things will improve to make the app more accessible, functional and user-friendly.
Catallena wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:32 pm In the meantime, I also have a fun project for the phandom. It's called; 'Stop Tanking Dan And Phil's Views By Uploading Half The Video Onto Social Media You Dumbasses'. Now I'll admit, I'm very guilty of retweeting clips of new videos myself. But I feel like so many people are doing it now that it is starting to affect their views. There's no reason for people to go back to the video to rewatch it or even watch it at all, if 10 people have already uploaded all the good bits onto the timeline. That's a really bad thing. And if a previous video hasn't reached a certain amount of views yet, D&P are more likely to let the video sit there for a bit until it does before upload another. That means less content for us. We're really shooting ourselves in the foot and affecting D&P's relevance and income with this shit, and it's time to stop. It doesn't benefit anyone except the people who do it because it's an easy way to get likes, retweets and followers.
Is this not something that has been happening for ages though? I mean, I haven't been in the phandom for a super long time yet but I can't really say that I see more video clips on my TL now than I did about 8 months ago. Though, I can see how Youtube compilation videos could kinda affect their views as those tend to be longer, get recommended and show more highlights than a single short clip on Twitter that goes around for maybe a day of two. However, I think the decrease in views is more due to other factors, like Youtube-related issues (algorithm, subscription boxes, notifications etc.) and lack of interest.
I think the point (or at least what I assumed the point was) is not that this is a new thing, but that it's something that would help their views now. I think a couple hundred thousand views matters more now - exactly because of the things you mentioned, sub box and notif issues and fucky algorithm - than it would have when they were getting an easy two mil per video. At a point it is the core fandom that's gonna make the difference for Dan and Phil, when casual audiences simply aren't getting exposed to their videos through no fault of their own.
ratlad
angel bean

sonicgreen wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:25 pm
ratlad wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:23 pm ok i got the app to work with a phone number but i am very much thrown off by my own face and the fact that it asks to record audio... it all seems tobe running smoothly though.
i'm on team put-a-sticker-on-the-camera :shock:
yeah i put 2 strips of electrical tape on my camera just to be safe
i still feel as if i'm being recorded with audio though.... :spy:
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
greenergrass
stress mushroom

I am so appreciative of all you guys working so hard to record the rize liveshow. I'll be at work, so I'm glad there might be a recording to come home to. Or at least some entertaining retellings of the possible wreck.
liola
rankussy

I saw Rize tweet they were working to solve the problem a couple of hours ago so I went on the Play store to see if there was an update available. Apparently now the app isn't even on the Play Store :sideeye:
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
susan2
rainbow nerd

PROPS email -

Longer version of the article on their blog -
https://blog.propsproject.com/youtube-s ... d6d0570511

Can't believe this is finally happening in 13mins....good luck all!
(and thanks to everyone trying to record :thumb: )
SquishPhan
capita£ester

Though I can't watch it live (and even if I could I probably wouldn't) I'm looking forward to the ls and the shitstorm I'm sure will follow.
Though if it all works fine I can be content with that too.
thatone
delia smith

I just loaded up Rize and joined a "Dan and Phil preshow"- stream that someone else started, and I watched 3 minutes before it started lagging and now she freezes every 10 seconds. Curious to see what happens when the actual DanAndPhil-account starts streaming!
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

I assumed i wouldn't be able to watch at all (with a mix of work and doctor appointments today boo) but the show happens to line up perfectly for me! I'm so ready to watch this trainwreck.
Secretstanner
truth bomb

Okay I don’t get this stupid app! Why is my face at the bottom when watching someone?! Why can’t I get rid of it while watching?!?! Can anyone else see this or just me. Im gonna feel so paranoid while watching because I don’t understand this app one bit.
LurkingTrash
woodland creature
Pronouns: She/Her

I hope dnp appreciate how much trouble people are going through just to see their faces live. it takes a special kind of thing to mobilize this many dedicated people.