Dan & Phil Part 74: we stan a model

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

Now that's what I call character development.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

apathy wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:26 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:53 pm I saw that Alfie did it and the replies underneath his tweet about it were nothing but people complaining that they couldn't see/couldn't hear/it kept cutting out. I can't figure out why Rize didn't start ramping up to this earlier.
Pure speculation obviously, but my guess would be that marketing/management/accounting doesn't listen to the tech department very well and other similar internal problems, especially if they're panicking about surviving at all. They've had YouNow for 6-7 years at least and it still breaks and crashes sometimes. And it's not trying to grab video from every person online, so I'd expect Rize needs a higher investment than even that. Servers cost money and they're probably already in the hole with building this project. I get that they're trying to survive against YT and FB and Twitch, but they're fighting against some deep pockets who could build this better and faster if they think the idea has any merit, and then they've got nothing.

I do wonder what the sponsorship terms are though. Since they're missing weeks now, will they be required to do more later and continue after the tour to meet some kind of quota? If they were told after the first attempt that the deal was purely for Rize shows, that'd explain why they can't be bothered with YouNow in the meantime, even if it's the same company. Maybe I'm being cynical though. :shrug:
That sounds frustrating and also accurate. I know Rize is trying to do new things - I'm also thinking they didn't want to launch the app to a wide audience until they had their currency issues sorted so it sounds like problems on top of problems.

I'm also curious about sponsorship terms. I think it's not unreasonable that they'd end up having to promote Rize more post-tour when they hadn't really intended on it, but even that's contingent upon the app actually working at some point.

Quoting this because I want to make sure people don't miss it. That's a big yikes from the venue, I hope everyone is paying attention to their email.
Elemancy wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:28 pm I just wanted to give a heads up and say after checking my email last week and sorting through promotional mail that wasn't delegated to my main inbox I noticed that my venue for the II show had unexpectedly changed the way I receive my tickets from will call to standard mail. (When they were initially purchased there was no option for delivery other than will call)
The venue had apparently printed them and sent them out two weeks ago. However, I didn't receive them though i should have already and had a feeling I wouldn't in time for my show since the venue sent another email yesterday saying I should have received the tickets by now. so i called ticketmaster and they changed the delivery method back to will call. (Also because it was the only option available and they couldn't process it via email delivery)

If I hadn't checked I'd never have known I was meant to expect them in the mail. I wanted to let other people know to doublecheck their ticket orders and verify how they're meant to be receiving them if they haven't yet already so they don't run the risk of missing out on the show over a small technicality.

I'm going to go back to melting in a puddle now
hello9217
flower crown

They said at the show tonight that the next video is going to be what dan and phil text each other.
Secretstanner
truth bomb

hello9217 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:13 am They said at the show tonight that the next video is going to be what dan and phil text each other.
I know... I knowww people arnt gonna agree with me but why is that a video? Yeah it’s cute for a tweet but a whole video? They spend so much time together what would they even text. Like what’s the catch? A spoon somehow or just what it says on the tin, reading their texts to each other. I know everyone’s gonna love it because everyone eats that shit up and even me too but I don’t see how a whole video could be entertaining. It seems basic and lazy I’m sorry. I hope that’s not all the video is because without dan uploading I’m still rooting for phils channel
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

i feel like the video would be uncomfortable to watch, only cause reading texts aloud seems scary for me, even with the most innocent stuff. but of course i'm just projecting idk. though it seems like a fun and cute video definitely, they apparently said they just text each other in the same room lol that's not surprising.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I'm excited as fuck for this video. I feel like it's a video the same way the instagram likes thing is a video. It was a cute section of TATINOF and I think that'll translate into a cute video.

As far as basic and lazy - I mean, yeah. It's a youtube video. They're definitely not all high concept, and for something they're filming on their one day off in a ten day span of back to back shows, I'm not holding that against them. Fluffy nothing videos are okay with me as long as the vibe is right and it makes me laugh or feel some cute feels.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

I'm so excited for the video. Give me all their mundane boring texts. I'll eat that shit up.

I'm just really curious what kinds of texts they'll actually include. Like obviously not super personal texts, but I wonder if we'll learn anything new through the video, or if they'll keep it to quite generic texts - and by 'learn anything new' I don't mean any big revelations or shit, but just, you know, some sort of random cute fact or story or whatever.
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

what texts did they show in tatinof? i haven't watched all of it or bothered looking at spoilers at the time.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
greenergrass
stress mushroom

ratlad wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:33 am what texts did they show in tatinof? i haven't watched all of it or bothered looking at spoilers at the time.
I think she meant tabinof since I don't remember there being texts in the show, but I think there were in the books. @alittledizzy ?
Last edited by greenergrass on Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

whatdoiknow wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:36 am
ratlad wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:33 am what texts did they show in tatinof? i haven't watched all of it or bothered looking at spoilers at the time.
I think she meant tabinof since I don't remember their being texts in the show, but I think there were in the books. @alittledizzy ?
my bad, yeah, i meant tabinof!
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

They're on pg 195 of tabinof and under the cut are screenshots for reference/anyone who's curious and hasn't seen them!

greenergrass
stress mushroom

obsessivelymoody wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:42 am
They're on pg 195 of tabinof and under the cut are screenshots for reference/anyone who's curious and hasn't seen them!

Thanks for sharing those again! I've seen them before, but yet I just re-read each of those over, while also briefly expanding on some of those scenarios in my head. Okay, definitely time for sleep, but now I'm even more pumped for the texts youtube video
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I love that they are watching Speed on the tour bus and using that back lounge to unwind.

I'm curious about their tour bus though -I'm not really interested in the beds but on who is actually on it with them because they have a smaller bus in comparison to the crews which is huge.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

(Speed insta story for reference)

I can't believe how soft this insta story is making me feel ugh. It's just domestic and lovely.
knq
lava lamp

Now I'm really excited for AP! Their texts are my favorite part of the book. That one with P: let's stop D: Ok never fails to make me smile, I don't know why.

It's also weirdly relevant to my fandom digging, as literally just this morning I was trolling through old Dan tweets and saw this for the first time:
The days before emojis, man. I feel closer to Phil knowing he was a ._. user. I miss the ._. face. There's no emoji that truly captures the complexity of its emotions.

._.
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

Can someone explain me the cultural significance of Speed and why Dan and Phil keep referencing it? I don't really watch movies or care about them that much, but it's bothered me for a long time that I don't understand the deal with Speed.
sonicgreen
woodland creature

somethingsketchy wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:30 am Can someone explain me the cultural significance of Speed and why Dan and Phil keep referencing it? I don't really watch movies or care about them that much, but it's bothered me for a long time that I don't understand the deal with Speed.
Cult-classic 90's action movie? I personally don't care for it but dnp have an affinity for it. I don't think it goes any deeper than that, lol.
watsonian wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:57 am Now I'm really excited for AP! Their texts are my favorite part of the book. That one with P: let's stop D: Ok never fails to make me smile, I don't know why.
I love the texts too! I laugh every time at Phil's: "Oh yh"

(just knocking out all my commentary in one post)

I'm glad dnp had a day off to film. I'm thinking the crew is on a separate bus, some of the merch squad posted cute photos from their day off including face masks on the bus. Do we know for sure? (it doesn't really matter, i'm just curious.)
scientia
phabergé

watsonian wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:57 am It's also weirdly relevant to my fandom digging, as literally just this morning I was trolling through old Dan tweets and saw this for the first time:
Has anyone ever taken a crack at decoding the blurred out message? I can make out a few words. Honestly, I'm looking back to 2012 content to fulfill my love for deppy investigations ;)
LadyLackless
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: She/Her

Blurred out message: I’m seeing “Sounds good to me! Also we should maybe mention that we may be there on the 11th if it ???? and we’ll hopefully find that out tomorrow”
kavat
pastel persona

I saw a "Dan is totes straight" post circulating on tumblr the other day so I appreciate him pointing out how cute both Keanu and Sandra is.

That bench really is tiny for the both of them. They might as well sit on each others lap, it would probably be more comfortable.

I just realized I'm rainbow nerd, i like that a lot
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

Secretstanner wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:57 am
hello9217 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:13 am They said at the show tonight that the next video is going to be what dan and phil text each other.
I know... I knowww people arnt gonna agree with me but why is that a video? Yeah it’s cute for a tweet but a whole video? They spend so much time together what would they even text. Like what’s the catch? A spoon somehow or just what it says on the tin, reading their texts to each other. I know everyone’s gonna love it because everyone eats that shit up and even me too but I don’t see how a whole video could be entertaining. It seems basic and lazy I’m sorry. I hope that’s not all the video is because without dan uploading I’m still rooting for phils channel
I completely agree but I don't mind as I think it will still be enjoyable. Simply because I like them as people and they do know how to put a funny spin on even the most mundane of video's.
"Lazy video's" really are more of the norm than the exception. Most of D&P games is literally them playing some flash games and making a lot of suggestive jokes and puns. It's just a like spending time with dirty-minded friends, but on steroids.
It's "giving the people what they want", whenever i read something like "can you even believe 2018 is real" I simile (because yea, it's cute and all) but I also have to use all the muscle power in my eyes to keep them from rolling back into my head because what they are doing with these video's and some of the ig stories and tweets.. it's just such obvious fan service. Not that I find that a 'bad thing' necessarily.
They know what their audience likes to read, hear and see and they have gotten even better at providing it in 2018 ;)
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
kavat
pastel persona

Stakhanov wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:43 am
Secretstanner wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:57 am
I completely agree but I don't mind as I think it will still be enjoyable. Simply because I like them as people and they do know how to put a funny spin on even the most mundane of video's.
"Lazy video's" really are more of the norm than the exception. Most of D&P games is literally them playing some flash games and making a lot of suggestive jokes and puns. It's just a like spending time with dirty-minded friends, but on steroids.
It's "giving the people what they want", whenever i read something like "can you even believe 2018 is real" I simile (because yea, it's cute and all) but I also have to use all the muscle power in my eyes to keep them from rolling back into my head because what they are doing with these video's and some of the ig stories and tweets.. it's just such obvious fan service. Not that I find that a 'bad thing' necessarily.
They know what their audience likes to read, hear and see and they have gotten even better at providing it in 2018 ;)
I think it depends on what you mean by "fan service". Sure, the whole point of TIIT and "giving the people what they want" is fan service, but in some sense, isn't everything they do? They make content for us, they know what we respond well to and how to keep an audience engaged. Because that is literally their job. I think it's hard to separate "this is what we want to do" and "this is what the audience wants us to do" when they seem to overlap a lot (and that's kind of the theme of TIIT in a way). Like, I fell like most fans like when they do things they enjoy on camera, you can tell when they're not into a game so much and it reflects in the views on that video. So them playing a game they enjoy, and we enjoy them playing, is that fan service? Is them having fun with instastories fan service? Because in that case, I'll happily take it!

I'm not sure what my point is, I just think it's an interesting topic regarding deppy, because I see so much worse actual fan service in other media that it's hard to tell what people mean when they use that term.
loonyradish
living flop

Tbh, I don't want to be negative, but I'm not sure what to think of the whole "reading out our texts" thing. I guess the first thing my brain went to were all these "funny" fake text conversations on the internet, created on websites like this one https://ifaketextmessage.com/ . I've kinda learned not to trust any text conversations I see on the internet to be real :lol:
Though on the other hand, I can't imagine them sitting down and creating fake conversations, and I'd be very disappointed if they did, so :shrug:

Apart from that, I did enjoy the screenshots in tabinof, and I'm generally excited for any kind of content <3
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

@kavat

I also think it's an interesting topic, in part because it forces you to reflect on your own relationship as 'fan' with them rather than just focus on what we think and see of them. Which is mostly limited to how they choose to portray themselves.

You're right, it all depends on what you call "fan service". I've only got to know that concept within this community (just like like 'queerbaiting') and it's not a very well defined concept. Basically everyone has a different understanding of it and sometimes judges it very differently too.
I agree that in a sense everything they do serves their fans. That's just the reality, I think, of any relationship between any kind of "celebrity" and their audience. What makes it qualitatively different for youtubers compared to say, rock stars imo is that the focus with vloggers on youtube is so personal. They are in sense the product themselves, so they are selling themselves and their personalities. It's not the same for every youtuber, but especially with Dan and Phil the last couple of years I feel like the focus is on who they are as people - and for many also on their assumed relationship.
Im' thinking about the new AP video as an example. It would be a very strange thing to make a video about what you text to each other if the underlying assumption wasn't that we love to know the nitty gritty of what Dan and Phil text to each other. Why else would you ever watch this sort of video? Either you think the messages by themselves are just so hilarious you just watch the video purely for the comedy value, or you think it's funny or revealing about people you're interested in right? I wouldn't particularly care to read the texts between two people who are strangers to me. So what I think about 'the product' Dan and Phil as people is the big reason i watch.

I don't think the fact that everything (well not everything) they make and do is intentional makes them "fake people" overall though. I think it's a bit like acting. You play yourself in an exaggerated way and get very selective about what you enlarge and what you leave out. I do think the end result is that it's really hard to get an accurate sense of who Dan and Phil really are, especially concerning the aspects that they are mostly "selling" to their audience. Because there's also a constant dynamic going on between what they say/do, how it gets interpreted and how they choose to react to that. I think that dynamic can end up getting divorced from reality pretty quickly.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
starwatersong
phabergé

RE: Speed

I am older than Phil and Speed came out and was a huge cultural zeitgeist thing. I think he was probably 11 or 12 and it was one of those action movies EVERYONE saw.

My roommate and I literally rented it from YouTube a few months ago because we were like “Oh my god, ta Speed! Does it still hold up?”

[answer= mostly yes, except some of the acting]