Dan & Phil Part 74: we stan a model

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
loonyradish
living flop
Pronouns: she/her

I really appreciate this video, and the whale thing was so cute <3

Though I have to say that all the inconsistencies mentioned here make me a little sad. Especially Phil acting all surprised about the message in pinof when he'd actually obvs seen and replied to it before. It's stupid, because of course they exaggerate things on camera, but it makes me uncomfortable because then I'm wondering what else they're just saying to make things seem more interesting.

That being said, if the texts are real (which they probably are, I'm just a very sceptical person in general, forgive me), then they're really really wholesome and the dip one made me laugh :lol:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

loonyradish wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:14 am I really appreciate this video, and the whale thing was so cute <3

Though I have to say that all the inconsistencies mentioned here make me a little sad. Especially Phil acting all surprised about the message in pinof when he'd actually obvs seen and replied to it before. It's stupid, because of course they exaggerate things on camera, but it makes me uncomfortable because then I'm wondering what else they're just saying to make things seem more interesting.

That being said, if the texts are real (which they probably are, I'm just a very sceptical person in general, forgive me), then they're really really wholesome and the dip one made me laugh :lol:
What do you mean by 'all the inconsistencies'? I think the only one people have noticed is the pinof one, and I don't think anyone is saying that they're exaggerating the text. Just that in pinof Phil pretended not to have heard it before, but that reaction has nothing to do with this video - in which he obviously wasn't pretending.
knq
lava lamp

For PINOF, I don't think it would be unusual for them to scroll back through texts to read a more amusing one. I also wouldn't be surprised if Phil acted like he didn't understand a text he did, as they often ask each other questions they know the answers to or pretend Dan hasn't seen a costume he bought himself.

But I actually think those were their recent texts and Phil is mostly confused because he mishears. (Do we know when this 'yoga' adventure was from, by the way? Did it have something to do with Louise?) At like 1:48 in the PINOF 9 bloopers Dan reads the text and right before the jump cut Phil says (I think) "What does that mean? Her pain places?" and at 1:59 there's about a millisecond of Dan's expression changing to something that looks very about-to-explain-a-thing.

pinof 9 bloops http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrApVH3afMI

Before I go back to my re-watching fest, can anyone explain the dog having its nose pinched? Dan and Phil both seem to think that dog is like Dan "on a daily basis"? But I don't really understand what emotion or characteristic the dog is meant to express. idgi :shrug:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Taking a break from rewatching the video to share some meet and greets. I'll be fully transparent here, I'm picking most of these as my favorites from today based totally on how good Phil looked.
obvsly
#relatable

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:40 am
loonyradish wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:14 am I really appreciate this video, and the whale thing was so cute <3

What do you mean by 'all the inconsistencies'? I think the only one people have noticed is the pinof one, and I don't think anyone is saying that they're exaggerating the text. Just that in pinof Phil pretended not to have heard it before, but that reaction has nothing to do with this video - in which he obviously wasn't pretending.
I didn't even think in Pinof9 Phil was pretending he never heard it before. :mrgreen: I thought he was half exaggerating and half acting out the viewers' possible reactions. They expected us to react one way and Phil was being us, asking the questions we might have had to get more context out of Dan.

They actually did this quite often, mostly in joint live shows where they'd tell us about something that happened to them. Obviously they were often both there together but one would ask the other questions (for us) anyway. The most recent one I can think of was when Dan introduced himself to some guy as Phil and they talked about this in DAPG. Phil asked "Wha.. What were you thinking?!?" I'm sure he had asked Dan that before but the question was there for our sake.

BTW, I've already watched the video 8 times since it's uploaded. :lol:
susan2
rainbow nerd

She's soaring, flying :clap: :clap: :clap:
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

The video finally got there. It was like reaching an oasis of content in a desert that will still take a couple of months to pass :sideeye:
I think the conceptussy worked out fine. It was an enjoyable vid, but very much geared toward the fandom. You basically have to really like Dan and Phil and care about the minutiae of what they text each other. Exactly what a lot of people here want I imagine, but not something that will draw in crowds of new viewers. Their channels seem to be geared less and less towards appealing to new viewers and more and more about binding with the audience already following them :shrug:

The conversations were funny but really predictable imo. They certainly selected for a couple of on-brand subjects. It's the off-brand conversations I'm really interested in, but I guess they aren't willing to share those :-p. What made the cut felt to me like two good friends who've known each other for years texting each other. Food, dogs, series and pics of how you hurt yourself on set: it's bound to look very domestic, and that gave it a certain charm.
Also made me re-remember they are lving a dream. Touring the world with a show centered around their own personality, eating only the best of room service and having ample time to watch series and have fun in between gigs. The touring has got to be exhausting, but damn i would sign up immediately for the sort of (highly profitable) adventure they're having right now.
Phil is a total [censored expletive which does not mean angel bean] for bringing up the 'old phones' :mrgreen: He knows full well how much that teases the fandom, and Dan's comically exaggerated face to it was the funniest moment of the video for me. Of course I had to like it. Bring us the whole history of all of your texts starting from that moist and intimate 2009 Phil ;)
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
liola
rankussy

I was out for most of yesterday and got home at 1am so the first thing I did was watch the video. Then sighed happily and watched it again. It was so good, nice and funny, they truly do love being with each other and having their small little things so much it's almost ridiculous.

The whale noise and fhe "come to me" still have me fucked up, how are they real, how do they keep this level of love and joy to be together after so many years? I'm just so soft :happytears:

I would pay good money if they made this a series centering each video on a specific timeframe, but I have a feeling we wouldn't see much of 2009-2010
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
dancy
procrastinator

hello9217 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:03 am
dancy wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:38 pm I do find that "pain places" text convo a bit weird. Phil said he scrolled back all the way to when Dan first got his new phone but that's not quite true since this conversation actually happened before that in November when he still had the iPhone 7. In the PINOF 9 bloopers video they were asked to read out the last message they had sent, which in Dan's case was "ask her about your pain places and work them" (this time it's suddenly "stretch" instead of "work"?) and then Phil acts surprised and says "What does that mean? Her pain places?" (as if it wasn't him who Dan texted that to smh). It's not that big of a deal but it doesn't completely add up.

Anyway, I did REALLY enjoy the video though and am probably gonna rewatch it for the third time after this :D Maybe we'll get a gaming video in the next few days too as it's been over a week since the last one. I hope they'll have a nice day off tomorrow after having to perform six shows in a row. I'm guessing they'll fly to Toronto?
I think the reason that they are different is that dan being dan mis-spoke and said work instead of stretch :shrug: . Also Phil would still have all their text convos on his phone because he got a new phone earlier. I'm guessing what happened is that while phil was scrolling through their texts he went back further and saw that one and thought it would be a funny inclusion. And yeah it's really not unlike dnp to kind of over-exaggerate things in videos. Like in the 'will dan and phil survive Australia' dan goes overboard in reacting to the kangaroo costume and then in a ls after it he said he knew about it beforehand. It's just what they do for entertainment purposes.
ratlad wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:09 am maybe phil had older convos with dan in his phone before dan got a new one/switched numbers. maybe dan used the same simcard but deleted old texts but phil kept his. it'd make sense if phil had the old chatlogs and dan didn't.
and the "on my way down" text phil sent from pinof 9 was a text he sent, not dan. dan sent the yoga text. it makes sense to me :shrug:
also, dan said: "have we tweeted that out?" after they read the "pain places" text, so it must've sounded familiar to him.

edit: @hello9217 oop, we are on the same page, my friend! (i'm feelin less alone)
Well yeah, I didn't mean that the texts were fake, just that there were a few tiny lies involved. Phil did include at least one text conversation from before Dan had his iPhone X and he did pretend that text wasn't sent to him in PINOF 9 by acting surprised and implying that he didn't understand the text and that it had been sent to a woman ("Her pain places?"). Like I said, not that big of a deal but lies nonetheless, not exaggerations.

I don't feel upset about in any way since I do get that they occasionally lie out of convenience or for entertainment purposes but it does make me wonder what else they've slightly twisted that we just don't know because they never discussed it again (unlike this situation or the kangaroo thing).
obsessivelymoody wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:55 pm I was looking through Phil's replies about the video, and this one pretty much confirmed that the Montreal date really is a no go :(
Oh yikes, if they really can't go to Montreal for whatever reason, when do they plan on telling people? I would hope soon because I know there are people who've been waiting for that location to be confirmed since November and now regret not having bought tickets for the show in Toronto tomorrow (which they can't do anymore as it's been sold out for ages).
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

^ fark. i know it's not intentional and they're probably doing the best they can with their tour organisers, but that's a fairly bad slip. if they even had the slightest inkling it wasn't going to work out they should've said something to give people a chance to grab their opportunities.
art in avatar by lily
liola
rankussy

Uuuhm can they stop being like that what is this romantic pizza date on a balcony overlooking new York I hate how soft they make me!!! :happytears:

lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

We really do stan a model
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Looks like he’s got a magical glowing cat claw. Imagine the possibilities. Also, is that balsamic vinegar on the pizza? It seems savoury with sweetcorn too otherwise at a push it could be chocolate sauce. Interesting, anyway. Tumblr is already upset at the supposed travesty (I don’t care, I’m pro-pineapple).
liola
rankussy

flarequake wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:37 pm Looks like he’s got a magical glowing cat claw. Imagine the possibilities. Also, is that balsamic vinegar on the pizza? It seems savoury with sweetcorn too otherwise at a push it could be chocolate sauce. Interesting, anyway. Tumblr is already upset at the supposed travesty (I don’t care, I’m pro-pineapple).
As an Italian I feel entitled to feel offended I don't make the rules

KatjaZoe
sad dimple

flarequake wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:37 pm Looks like he’s got a magical glowing cat claw. Imagine the possibilities. Also, is that balsamic vinegar on the pizza? It seems savoury with sweetcorn too otherwise at a push it could be chocolate sauce. Interesting, anyway. Tumblr is already upset at the supposed travesty (I don’t care, I’m pro-pineapple).
To me it looked like bbq sauce, which is a thing on pizza in America. But I could see balsamic as well.

Also they definitely have their stories on quite a delay. It was kinda strange to be eating breakfast and get a notification for their stories eating late night pizza, since nyc is an hour ahead of where I am.
"He's the guy with his flesh on show. What a hoe.
That's. Our. Dan."
:dogue: :dogue: :dogue:
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

I thought it was BBQ?
I'm all for a pizza experiment I love pineapple and I'm even the weird person who puts canned spaghetti on pizza. I swear it's good and New Zealand food is a delight :lol:

One of the things I miss most about NZ is Hells Pizza which did awesome combinations like my favourite chicken, appricot sauce, pine nuts, spring onions, cream cheese and rosemary. I haven't found anywhere in London like it yet. I'm jealous of their culinary adventures.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Ah, BBQ makes sense, that didn't occur to me. It did feel weird seeing a night-time video posted at about 9am their time. It took me a moment to figure it out.
loonyradish
living flop

by "all the inconsistencies" I meant the two different versions of one text and, even more so, that Phil pretended not to understand the text in PINOF9. Tbh I thought about the latter, and I understand it to some extent - when I'm with friends and friend A tells friend B about a story A has already told me, sometimes I automatically kinda act like I'm hearing the story for the first time as well, because it feels weird to me to not react at all. Meaning, I make a surprised laugh or something.
But Phil straight up made it sound like he had never ever heard of that text in his life and also like it was directed at a woman, which is different imo

Basically agree with what @dancy said:
dancy wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:44 am Well yeah, I didn't mean that the texts were fake, just that there were a few tiny lies involved. Phil did include at least one text conversation from before Dan had his iPhone X and he did pretend that text wasn't sent to him in PINOF 9 by acting surprised and implying that he didn't understand the text and that it had been sent to a woman ("Her pain places?"). Like I said, not that big of a deal but lies nonetheless, not exaggerations.
(shortened the post for space reasons)

I just don't like to be reminded that they do kinda "act" in front of the camera, I like my fluffy illusion of them just being them without making things more interesting for entertainment purposes, and seeing stuff like this kinda takes the illusion away from me :shrug:

anyway!

They look so damn good in those pastel pullovers and also very happy, especially in that last picture, but it looks like they were in a really great mood in general that day! :love2:

Also I think they're trying to kill us with that late night NYC balcony/rooftop dinner, not that I'm complaining <3
Lucyrg95
sofa crease

did i pluck this out of thin air or did they say before they went on tour there was gunna be a new series on the gaming channel? where is it pls :waiting:
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

it looked like a savoury pizza and a dessert pizza to me
wonder why they delayed the posts, i imagine they just woke up at 9-10am and decided to post at the same time while in bed
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
knq
lava lamp

ratlad wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:31 pm it looked like a savoury pizza and a dessert pizza to me
wonder why they delayed the posts, i imagine they just woke up at 9-10am and decided to post at the same time while in bed
I think they're just delaying all photos from when they're not in the venue. That way they don't have to think about whether fans can find them based on their surroundings. Less mental effort.

I hadn't heard of dessert pizza before! I would say hopefully Dan realizes his dream of conquering an entire NY pizza this time--but honestly that just sounds like it would make a person sick and I'm not sure why he wants to do it.
starwatersong
phabergé

Someone on their tour’s instagram mentioned crossing into Canada — maybe that’s why they’re up early?

NY—> Toronto is about a 14 hour drive, if they’re driving.
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

Also people don't remember each and every text they send and read of course. If the text was a bit older, Phil might have actually forgotten about it by the time they filmed PINOF. Dan didn't even remember they read the text out loud in PINOF, he only remembered that he'd shared it with us before and that's just normal, right? They text a lot, they can't remember every text they ever sent each other.

That said, yes they do play things up now and then or pretend a bit for the camera but of course they do. The main goal of a video is to entertain, not only us but also casual viewers who couldn't care less if Phil's bedroom is actually his bedroom or if and why Dan would know if the bedframe is hard or if and why Phil would keep a trovel under his bed. They're selling a narrative and most watchers don't care enough to question how much of it is true. And I think that's a good thing. It creates a mostly consistent Dan and Phil narrative and helps keeping their actual private lives private. It's clever and important.

Dessert pizza: Idk if you have it in other countries but there's a frozen chocolate pizza you can buy in supermarkets in Norway and I hate it, why is sweet pizza a thing, why? But my first impression of the pizza in the story was actually that it might be chocolate sauce too. It looked... interesting.
starwatersong
phabergé

Oh my goodness, they’re in Canada!
(See teeny squished Air Canada maple leaf to the left of super stretchy Dan).
coffeepenguin
rainbow nerd

Off-topic re: sweet pizza
Katka wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:34 pm Dessert pizza: Idk if you have it in other countries but there's a frozen chocolate pizza you can buy in supermarkets in Norway and I hate it, why is sweet pizza a thing, why? But my first impression of the pizza in the story was actually that it might be chocolate sauce too. It looked... interesting.
In France, sweet pizza with goat cheese and honey is very much a thing (and quite tasty, I might add). Also, I once saw pizza with nutella, which, yeah, why... but you can find pretty much anything with nutella in France, idek
Dan wants to be understood. Phil just wants to make the viewer smile and sell some backpacks (c) fancybum