Discussion of Fics We're Currently Loving

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
sugar
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: they/them

i loved this chapter of strangers so so much.

phil saying/implying that he wants their first time to be special...wow...these fuckers already in love.

edit: wow...such an eloquent post for the top of the page
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: she/her

Who wants to speculate about strangers-Dan's ex?

I'm curious about what really happened with the breakup, what with him painting her as cruel and her acting cheerful and concerned on the phone, but I'm kind of more curious what she wants to get out of meeting up. Is there closure she needs? Is she trying to give him the closure he needs? Does she just want him to stop villifying her? Does she think they can be friends? I wanna know what's going on in her head. And hopefully, regardless, he'll get a seed of something he needs to move on.

My big only slightly fake absurd theory is that she's a cisswapped Jimmy. Based entirely on her being cheerful and calling him "babes."
kindofatrashcan
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: She/Her

My brain can't function right now. Today strangers, six ravens and in my way were updated. I didn't know what to read first.
Six ravens: i'm in love with maxwell, how protective he is of Phil, and how much Phil loves that Dan doesn't care any of that.
stragers: @Templeofshame mmm i feel like she needs to see Dan doing well so she can have a proper closure, like maybe for her their relationship was over waaaay before and she feel guilty of how the thing ended for Dan. He is doing a great job villifying her, but i'm super interested on how she really is.
In my way: maaaan i love this fic! Was one of the first au that i started reading and i was sad at the lack of continuity BUT the writer has already finished it and today's was the last chapter, and the friday the epilogue is up.

OOOH yesterday Give me a Try was updated!! What Charlie is going to say to D&P?!

Ps. Oh my god i've never written so much in a thread.
kavat
pastel persona

Templeofshame wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:42 pm Who wants to speculate about strangers-Dan's ex?

I'm curious about what really happened with the breakup, what with him painting her as cruel and her acting cheerful and concerned on the phone, but I'm kind of more curious what she wants to get out of meeting up. Is there closure she needs? Is she trying to give him the closure he needs? Does she just want him to stop villifying her? Does she think they can be friends? I wanna know what's going on in her head. And hopefully, regardless, he'll get a seed of something he needs to move on.

My big only slightly fake absurd theory is that she's a cisswapped Jimmy. Based entirely on her being cheerful and calling him "babes."
I'm also very curious about what happened. My vague theory is that she couldn't handle Dan's depression, before he got professional help? That she tried to help him best she could but it wasn't enough and she couldn't do it anymore? She seems keen on knowing he's alright, she still cares about him in some way. And it would explain Dan's fear of abandonment and telling Phil about what's upsetting him. I hope we find out soon!
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

kindofatrashcan wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 1:56 am
stragers: @Templeofshame mmm i feel like she needs to see Dan doing well so she can have a proper closure, like maybe for her their relationship was over waaaay before and she feel guilty of how the thing ended for Dan. He is doing a great job villifying her, but i'm super interested on how she really is.
I feel like the phone conversation did give the impression, at least from Dan's perspective, that she just wants him to say he's okay so that she feels better. But I also feel like he didn't really let her talk and the assumption that that's what she wants is part of his villification of her? So I'd be kind of surprised if that's ultimately where it lands. I feel like she's got something less selfish going on. I guess it also seems to me like after the first phone call, she'd have a pretty good sense that he's not okay and meeting up with him isn't going to be some relief that everything's great in his life and she doesn't need to feel guilty. But obviously, we don't really know anything about how she thinks or what she wants.

I can definitely see the mental health argument, or I saw someone on Tumblr talking about Dan making her his whole life and her wanting something healthier and more balanced, which also makes sense with the way he looks at it. I just hope Dan gets some closure he needs to move past whatever happened.
kavat
pastel persona

Templeofshame wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 1:45 pm
kindofatrashcan wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 1:56 am
I feel like the phone conversation did give the impression, at least from Dan's perspective, that she just wants him to say he's okay so that she feels better. But I also feel like he didn't really let her talk and the assumption that that's what she wants is part of his villification of her? So I'd be kind of surprised if that's ultimately where it lands. I feel like she's got something less selfish going on. I guess it also seems to me like after the first phone call, she'd have a pretty good sense that he's not okay and meeting up with him isn't going to be some relief that everything's great in his life and she doesn't need to feel guilty. But obviously, we don't really know anything about how she thinks or what she wants.

I can definitely see the mental health argument, or I saw someone on Tumblr talking about Dan making her his whole life and her wanting something healthier and more balanced, which also makes sense with the way he looks at it. I just hope Dan gets some closure he needs to move past whatever happened.
Wow that was pretty spot on. I suspected she wouldn't acutally be a villain, but that dan just pushed her away like he pushed that whole part of his life away. I loved the part about making each other better, because that's what we have started to see a glimpse of with Dan and Phil already.
kindofatrashcan

Aww that was a lovely chapter. I love how Dan keep comparing her to Phil.
loonyradish
living flop

I have nothing to add to the fanfiction discussion, I just wanted to say that I came here believing that this was the current main discussion thread, and I had a moment of extreme confusion about the sudden appeareance of Dan's ex-gf (and people not freaking out about it) while having a quick look over the page :lol:
LadyLackless
cheeky #spon

Anyone here want to flail about the latest 6R chapter with me?? :shock:
It had to happen eventually but daaaaammn I am waiting for the next chapter v impatiently
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

LadyLackless wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:29 am Anyone here want to flail about the latest 6R chapter with me?? :shock:
It had to happen eventually but daaaaammn I am waiting for the next chapter v impatiently
Even though it was expected, my reaction was still 😱😱😱. I’m assuming Emily is going to confront Dan in the next chapter, and that will be interesting.
LadyLackless
cheeky #spon

somethingsketchy wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:04 am
LadyLackless wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:29 am Anyone here want to flail about the latest 6R chapter with me?? :shock:
Even though it was expected, my reaction was still 😱😱😱. I’m assuming Emily is going to confront Dan in the next chapter, and that will be interesting.
As soon as I realised that they were still outside I got a sinking feeling in my stomach. I’m sad for them that they didn’t get to present this on their own terms and now it’s a ‘crisis’ situation, for want of a better term.
Emily’s reaction is going to pure gold, not to mention when Dan finally gets to meet Kath...
and just where was Maxwell???
Flail flail flail... I’m possibly too invested in this fic :lol:
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

LadyLackless wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:13 am
somethingsketchy wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:04 am
As soon as I realised that they were still outside I got a sinking feeling in my stomach. I’m sad for them that they didn’t get to present this on their own terms and now it’s a ‘crisis’ situation, for want of a better term.
Emily’s reaction is going to pure gold, not to mention when Dan finally gets to meet Kath...
and just where was Maxwell???
Flail flail flail... I’m possibly too invested in this fic :lol:
I KNOW, RIGHT? This fic is like a rollercoaster I never want to get off even though irl I hate rollercoasters.
sonicgreen
woodland creature

ahh the 6R chapter- it was inevitable, i just wished they had more time! I wonder what Emily is going to think, especially after all the talk about Nick's fame and how it impacted the relationships around him. the pRINCE is a whole other ordeal
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

omg i'm so glad people are freaking out in here. i've been just in a weird mix of depression slump and emotions over this chapter.
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

Oh my, this new chapter... I'm sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for the next one now.
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

OMG OGM OMG OMG OMG OMG UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE
Maxwell gave him a severe look. “There’s a lot you don’t know, Mr. Howell. London’s… more than you think it is.”

LIZARD PEOPLE
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

:lol: I always wondered why 6R wasn't being discussed/screamed about already on here.
Also, can some studio please buy the move rights and make this into an actual movie? Even without D&P, I'd totally watch it.
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

@LtrllySusan I can only speak for myself, but I've kind of been waiting for someone else to start the discussion... :scram:
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

oh my godddddd chapter 35 killed me!! I mean, the last few chapters have been killing me but now I'm constantly on the edge of my seat. I really love it though. It's just so fucking good.
pcvaidya
squish

I just read all of six ravens (at my desk when i should have been working... oops), and i honestly teared up over the last chapter. like why do they always have to be so self-sacrificing??? just talk to each other please and thank you
kindofatrashcan

Not only i'm almost tearing up because of the conversation with Maxwell, but now i'm like freaking out 'cause he's going to Nick. I'm dying.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

I love 6R, but... Does anyone else find the current chapter a bit far-fetched?
I would have preferred if he had fled the country on a normal plane, even if that had meant harassment from the public. He didn't commit a crime, they couldn't have forced him to stay.
Both options aren't perfect but I find the one that Ashley chose a bit far out there. But maybe it's just me, I'm really not an action fan.
LadyLackless
cheeky #spon

I see why you’re saying that, but I kind of just went with it :) the whole premise of the fic is a bit far-fetched and you either go with it or don’t :shrug:
Like, as a Brit I found it far more far-fetched a that a photo of a royal in a compromising position would be published in the UK press. That literally never happens. There have been a couple of topless Duchess of Cambridge pics but they only ever got published overseas. The UK press wouldn’t dare touch it. Also, all those times that Dan got the tube and walked straight up to Prince Phil’s residence. Unlikely. There would be far more security than just Maxwell waving him through. Equally with the paparazzo who was just ‘in the bushes’ in a royal palace...
I love this fic a lot so I’m willing to suspend my disbelief. However I do get it, this recent chapter was... a lot :D Dan climbing an 8ft fence... never happened :lol:
liola
rankussy

LtrllySusan wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:52 am I love 6R, but... Does anyone else find the current chapter a bit far-fetched?
I would have preferred if he had fled the country on a normal plane, even if that had meant harassment from the public. He didn't commit a crime, they couldn't have forced him to stay.
Both options aren't perfect but I find the one that Ashley chose a bit far out there. But maybe it's just me, I'm really not an action fan.
I had the same feeling, It was like 2am for me when I read it and I had to double check it was the same story lol
i wasn't even happy that he's leaving and going to Nick, leaving Phil right after he got outed to the entire world, but literally committing crimes instead of, Idk, talking? Having Maxwell tell them? Idk I found it a hit too much, I'm never a big fan of things that could be solved with easy communication and turn into unnecessary drama.

I'm hoping it won't turn into a #Dick moment, I might be the only one still thinking Nick doesn't have feelings for him but is just confused, and my heart would break for Phil. It's hard that this story is in Dan's pov and I'm so concerned for Phil lol
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

liola wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:57 am
LtrllySusan wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:52 am I love 6R, but... Does anyone else find the current chapter a bit far-fetched?
I had the same feeling, It was like 2am for me when I read it and I had to double check it was the same story lol
i wasn't even happy that he's leaving and going to Nick, leaving Phil right after he got outed to the entire world, but literally committing crimes instead of, Idk, talking? Having Maxwell tell them? Idk I found it a hit too much, I'm never a big fan of things that could be solved with easy communication and turn into unnecessary drama.

I'm hoping it won't turn into a #Dick moment, I might be the only one still thinking Nick doesn't have feelings for him but is just confused, and my heart would break for Phil.
It's hard that this story is in Dan's pov and I'm so concerned for Phil lol
Took that part out of the spoiler. That is my main "problem" with this fic. I want to get inside Phil's head SO DAMN BAD. Tell me you are thinking prince!