Discussion of Fics We're Currently Loving

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
sonicgreen
woodland creature

Oh someone said it, ok. My review after i finished the chapter was like,,,, well that was a stretch lol, now back to normal? I like the direction its going but the details of this chapter I really skimmed over?
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé
Pronouns: she/her

I'm surprised it wasn't good for most people. I mean... I feel like... A bunch of underground tunnels conspiracy stuff is far from like.. unbelievable in my mind. I have no idea how the royal family works, no idea how architecture works, how super old underground tunnels work. I'm willing to be like "yeah this can totally happen".

edit: Is Mary Shaw a reference to something? I googled, but I just get a scary villain lady?
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

MythicalPinkTrashCan wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:25 pm I'm surprised it wasn't good for most people. I mean... I feel like... A bunch of underground tunnels conspiracy stuff is far from like.. unbelievable in my mind. I have no idea how the royal family works, no idea how architecture works, how super old underground tunnels work. I'm willing to be like "yeah this can totally happen".

edit: Is Mary Shaw a reference to something? I googled, but I just get a scary villain lady?
It was more the
running through fields and climing fences and stealing planes and landing planes in US territory (in a field) (as if air traffic isn't super closely monitored), then aquiring a car and knowing by heart where to drive and where Nick lives.
Logistically (both in the story and from a story telling perspective), wouldn't it have been easier to go with a fake passport? Or just getting on the next flight with a cap and sunglasses on?
I really like Ashley's fics and I know he takes criticism to heart so I do feel bad for bringing this up. But there's minor hickups in every story and this one is on the best way of being the most kudos'ed phanfiction on AO3, and that for a good reason.

I can't wait for the next chapter!
liola
rankussy

MythicalPinkTrashCan wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:25 pm I'm surprised it wasn't good for most people. I mean... I feel like... A bunch of underground tunnels conspiracy stuff is far from like.. unbelievable in my mind. I have no idea how the royal family works, no idea how architecture works, how super old underground tunnels work. I'm willing to be like "yeah this can totally happen".

Well I mean we went from underground tunnels to a lot more lmao there was a definite jump into the unrealistic?

I think that's my "issue" with this update, if I can really call it an issue because it's just a personal preference: I love the idea of this story because so far it's been running parallel to the real world. Yes, obviously Phil isn't the Prince, but what would happen if either Prince William or Harry had been gay and had been found out like that?

I also like the intrigues of politics and societal/cultural expectations of royalty vs "common" world so I guess I wish it had delved more into that to draft a solution (which I think it's what's gonna happen anyway) than a sudden jump into action drama that so far hadn't been introduced.

Idk we'll see what happens next... I just hope it won't be long before we see Phil again :(
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
sonicgreen
woodland creature

Real quick, @LtrllySusan you mentioned that 6R is on its way to being the most kudo’d fic for Phan on AO3 and you’re right! I didn’t realize this, and I’m so proud of Ash wowowow
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Congratulations to Ashley – Six Ravens is now the highest kudos'd phanfic on AO3!
:clapping:
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

i don't know if i'm on the right thread but i just read the first chapter of teenagers by @alittledizzy and waveydnp (i don't know if they're on idb) and i'm so excited by this work! i really love high school AUs but i find it hard to find really good ones and this time, i ALREADY know i'm gonna love it because they're two of my favourite authors. also this first chapter made me really looking forward for the rest.

i usually don't reap WIPs (because it stresses me out and i honestly think it's a psychological block that i have with WIPs) but anyway, i decided i was gonna force myself for this one. usually i wait until the work is complete but i always feel like i'm missing out, because everyone else is talking about it. for example, i'm waiting for six ravens to be complete rn and i know i'm missing out and everyone is talking about it, like on here or on twitter.
so i'm gonna try to follow this WIP anyway.

sorry for this rant/outpouring of feelings, i hope everyone is having a good day <3
:gayaf:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Ataraxia25 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:11 pm i don't know if i'm on the right thread but i just read the first chapter of teenagers by @alittledizzy and waveydnp (i don't know if they're on idb) and i'm so excited by this work! i really love high school AUs but i find it hard to find really good ones and this time, i ALREADY know i'm gonna love it because they're two of my favourite authors. also this first chapter made me really looking forward for the rest.

i usually don't reap WIPs (because it stresses me out and i honestly think it's a psychological block that i have with WIPs) but anyway, i decided i was gonna force myself for this one. usually i wait until the work is complete but i always feel like i'm missing out, because everyone else is talking about it. for example, i'm waiting for six ravens to be complete rn and i know i'm missing out and everyone is talking about it, like on here or on twitter.

sorry for this rant/outpouring of feelings, i hope everyone is having a good day <3
Ahhh thank you <33 I will try not to creep on discussion too much so people can honestly respond without feeling awkward but I do want to pop in and say in case you're worried, we have 110k+ pre-written - short of absolute disaster happening, this fic will not catch up to itself!
liola
rankussy

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:19 pm
Ataraxia25 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:11 pm i don't know if i'm on the right thread but i just read the first chapter of teenagers by @alittledizzy and waveydnp (i don't know if they're on idb) and i'm so excited by this work! i really love high school AUs but i find it hard to find really good ones and this time, i ALREADY know i'm gonna love it because they're two of my favourite authors. also this first chapter made me really looking forward for the rest.

Ahhh thank you <33 I will try not to creep on discussion too much so people can honestly respond without feeling awkward but I do want to pop in and say in case you're worried, we have 110k+ pre-written - short of absolute disaster happening, this fic will not catch up to itself!
First of all that's such amazing news that you guys have already so much written!!

I literally came here after reading/kudoing/reblogging to tell people about it in case they didn't know. I'm actually usually not a fan of high school AU because yikes what a bad time it was but this already feels mature in a way I'm not sure I can describe, like the subtle sexual struggles that are both so common during teen years and also adulthood.

I'm excited to have a new WIP to follow! I hope there's an update schedule cause wow it feels good to finish a work day (for my time zone) and have a chappy as a treat, even though I know it's high pressure

Ataraxia25
flower crown

@alittledizzy i don't want to be creepy or whatever but i wouldn't read a wip written by anyone else, because i love your work so much and i really trust as a writer (is that weird to say that? sorry if it is) so im really excited :D
fieldoflovers
living flop

I don't know if you guys are reading @Ablissa's wip https://archiveofourown.org/works/15674688/ but omg I am living for it. Its more of hoopkups to maybe more? rather than an enemies to lovers but I love both dan and phil in the fic (even though they can both be so stubborn and such idiots). It just updated and I'm really excited to see where it goes!
Ablissa
pastel persona

fieldoflovers wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:40 pm I don't know if you guys are reading @Ablissa's wip https://archiveofourown.org/works/15674688/ but omg I am living for it. Its more of hoopkups to maybe more? rather than an enemies to lovers but I love both dan and phil in the fic (even though they can both be so stubborn and such idiots). It just updated and I'm really excited to see where it goes!
Oh gosh thank you for mentioning my fic, I totally didn't expect that! :oops: Also I don't think there could be any better way to describe D&P in my fic other than "they can both be so stubborn and such idiots". You made me laugh on a rather bad day, thank you :love2:

Also, to anyone else that might consider reading the fic, it is a WIP but I have over 80k words pre-written and I'm going to update twice a week :)
sonicgreen
woodland creature

Ablissa wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:01 pm
fieldoflovers wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:40 pm I don't know if you guys are reading @Ablissa's wip https://archiveofourown.org/works/15674688/ but omg I am living for it. Its more of hoopkups to maybe more? rather than an enemies to lovers but I love both dan and phil in the fic (even though they can both be so stubborn and such idiots). It just updated and I'm really excited to see where it goes!
Oh gosh thank you for mentioning my fic, I totally didn't expect that! :oops: Also I don't think there could be any better way to describe D&P in my fic other than "they can both be so stubborn and such idiots". You made me laugh on a rather bad day, thank you :love2:

Also, to anyone else that might consider reading the fic, it is a WIP but I have over 80k words pre-written and I'm going to update twice a week :)
I didn't even make the connection that you are on IDB! This has been a great fic, thank you so much for updating regularly! Excited for what is to come :love1:
Ataraxia25
flower crown

omg has anyone read the first chapter of iihappydaysii's new fic 'Super Best Friends With Benefits' ? when it's not an AU, i struggle with the Friends to Lovers trope because i find it so hard to picture deppy just as friends! but... it's SO WELL WRITTEN, this author could make me read anything! <3
LadyLackless
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: She/Her

https://archiveofourown.org/works/15584 ... s/36182586

Another WIP rec (we seem to be spoiled for amazing wips at the moment!) this one is adorkablephil’s “The Roles We Play” - dnp are radio play actors for the bbc in 1930’s. It has an interesting framing story and a gorgeous slow burn in the main story. I’m finding this one fascinating!
LadyLackless
cheeky #spon

Oh, I’m going to double post myself because I want to flail about the latest chapter of Teenagers. I’m repeating myself from the comments section but this latest chapter (5) was TOO REAL. Just totally hit the nail on the head for me and my teenage experience and I feel for teenage Phil so much. I absolutely love this fic!
kindofatrashcan
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

I'm reading a couple of WIPs right now, so i'm going to make a little coment for each one.

Six Ravens: i'm sad that it's endisng, Ash made a tumblr post the other day saying that there are only three More chapters and an epilogue left. I trust him, because i love his writing bit i'm scared that this last chapters are going to be super rushed.
Teenagers: i'm really loving it, i mean between dizzy and mandy i'm sure that Is going to get even better, poor Phil the last chapter broke my heart. I feel super identified(Is that a word?) When he saw his reflection and hated it.
Love Yourself (by imnotinclinedtomaturity): Is amazing!! Really popstar Dan and youtuber Phil's charaterization (again i ask, Is that a word?) Are beautiful and their relationship Is also. The last chapter fucked me good i almost cried.
in the darkness, with you: i wasn't going to read it until finished but I couldn't wait. I'm in love and i think that Dan Is an idiot, i underdstand him, but...
Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to share it :happytears:

(Edited because my keyboard Is spanish)
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

I had totally missed that Ash said only a few more chapters of 6R! I’m kinda a little bit freaking out. I feel like we need so much more still
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

"in the darkness, with you" is absolutely wrecking me (in a good way). I'm so obsessed with the verse, and Dan is such an interesting puzzle in it. Today's update had me yelling at my computer lol. I can't wait to see what happens next. It's just so gripping and so beautifully told. I love it so much.

And another wip I'm loving right now is "teenagers". It's so gorgeously written, and it's honestly bringing me right back to high school. I feel so much for this Dan and Phil (and Evie because Dan's a shit), and every chapter is just making my heart soar. Today's chapter really had me feeling for Phil and the ending literally made me gasp. I'm so excited for Friday's chapter!

(if anyone reading this thread doesn't like wips and/or hasn't started these- just do it. Click the links I provided for this very reason. Both have a large majority of the fic prewritten and they're way too good not to read right now)
kavat
pastel persona

obsessivelymoody wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:25 am "in the darkness, with you" is absolutely wrecking me (in a good way). I'm so obsessed with the verse, and Dan is such an interesting puzzle in it. Today's update had me yelling at my computer lol. I can't wait to see what happens next. It's just so gripping and so beautifully told. I love it so much.

And another wip I'm loving right now is "teenagers". It's so gorgeously written, and it's honestly bringing me right back to high school. I feel so much for this Dan and Phil (and Evie because Dan's a shit), and every chapter is just making my heart soar. Today's chapter really had me feeling for Phil and the ending literally made me gasp. I'm so excited for Friday's chapter!

(if anyone reading this thread doesn't like wips and/or hasn't started these- just do it. Click the links I provided for this very reason. Both have a large majority of the fic prewritten and they're way too good not to read right now)
I'm just here to strongly agree to everything moody said. In the darkness is so so interesting, because while the characterization is good I have no idea how Dan is thinking. And damn, every Teenagers chapter is a damn treat in my inbox.
liola
rankussy

Teenagers is just giving me all the fuzzy feelings even though I hated being a teen myself, and it's such a nice thing to have some thing to look forward to during my work breaks! The new chapter was so good :happytears: the first awkward hormonal encounters are so much funnier to read now that I'm not going through it myself :D

LadyLackless
cheeky #spon

PSA: I love Six Ravens wholeheartedly and am thankful to Ashley for writing it
:love1:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Just an FYI based on current outside-forum conversation: you guys are fully allowed to have honest conversation on here. Of course we would never encourage hate for any fic (and there has been absolutely none in this thread) but this is earmarked for discussion of fic, not direct author feedback. Authors can make the choice themselves if they can handle reading discussion about their fic, but that is what they're signing on for when clicking this thread.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:11 pm Just an FYI based on current outside-forum conversation: you guys are fully allowed to have honest conversation on here. Of course we would never encourage hate for any fic (and there has been absolutely none in this thread) but this is earmarked for discussion of fic, not direct author feedback. Authors can make the choice themselves if they can handle reading discussion about their fic, but that is what they're signing on for when clicking this thread.
I have seen the post Ashley made about reading "that shit on IDB" and I know it's likely partially aimed at my comment regarding that one Six Ravens chapter.
I know he gets a lot of awful comments but I find it a bit mean to be put on the same level as other, very rude comments. I'm fully aware that fic writers, lots of lurkers and probably even some YouTubers are reading this forum, so I don't like the "they're being mean cause the don't know I'm reading it" attitude.

Despite that, I am looking to the next chapter! I've even ko-fi'd Ashley before and I hope he doesn't see everyone with criticism as a hater.
kindofatrashcan
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Oh no, now i feel bad that i may have made other person feel bad. I hope that the authors of these fics understand that what we say here comes from a place of love and enjoyment!